Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Badger3k

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Badger3k »

Rystefn wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Does anyone know what the deal with those stupid titles? i first noticed them on Pandagon about 5 years ago or so. They seem to be big with the SJW's.
That's why - and it's called out early on - that usernames here are limited to 20 characters.
Ten bucks says their usernames are longer than their bank passwords.
No bet. I think there's an inverse relationship between length of internet handle and size of their self-respect.

welch

Post by welch »

dog puke wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Ophelia spots the Mr Deity video. :D

No need to click the link, she just posts the video along with the following three words:

"Behold an asshole"

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... us-geddit/
Three whole words! She must have spent hours on that post, trying different combinations, finding just the write words for the tone she wants. Truly a masterpiece, a....dare I say it...tour de force?
Well, she has rethought the issue and added a colon; it's now "Behold: an asshole"
As she is SUCH a royal colon, we must of course, bow to her judgement in where to put them.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Laughing my *ASS* off at Ophie right now (and all her little groupies):

http://www.freezepage.com/1376520625NMKVBVQBPV
I always piss myself laughing at the deluded righteous indignation Ophelia and her scumslugs spew.
They make Nerd of Redhead look reasonable.
Do you have evidence for this opinion?
Caine, Fleur du mal wrote:
G Pierce (Was ~G~) wrote:The most offensive part was when he mansplained to women how to take responsibility for their drinking. It was unfuckingbelievable. Vile bullshit. I watched that while I ate and now I’m going to be ill.
Unfortunately, not unfuckingbelievable. The amount of flaming doucheweasels I’ve argued with over the last 6 days about women and alcohol, oy…
Orwellian Newspeak might have caused some permanent damage to some commenters, or they just don't get it the normal kind of way. It is not relevant whether he was a guy making a comment about something a woman has claimed. He could be a woman and he could be making a comment about a man. Nothing in the message would change whatsoever. This is a good example where those A+ Folks are just making it up as they go, as they latch on some preconceived Argumentation Scheme (e.g. “mansplaining = bad: use as argument whenever the critic is a man and the criticized is a woman”). They have a ton of those. Pretty much for every situation. And they seem to “ring true” to them. They just have to say the magic word in a given situation that superficially seems to fit, and “Checkmate!”.
Caine, I suck at reasoning wrote:Supernorbert, I think you may have misunderstood me. Anthony K was riffing on BD’s “never, ever accept anything which is anonymous” crap, and I was agreeing with him, that if anonymous praise was sent BD’s way, he wouldn’t have any problem accepting it, in spite of it being anonymous.

That said, I have no doubt he will be hoisted on the internet shoulders of flaming doucheweasels everywhere.
Oh my. :roll:
PZ Myers writes in the hand grenade:
PZ Myers wrote:a witness has come forward. This person has asked to remain anonymous too […] The anonymous woman
How it seems to be all about Good and Evil, taking sides, and beliefs. There is no room for entertaining different possiblities, or having a hunch (in either direction) but without declaring it as if it were true. And anonymity is directed at other people. The women are anonymous to us. It bears repeating:
  • “The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.”
    — Bertrand Russell

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

welch wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Laughing my *ASS* off at Ophie right now (and all her little groupies):

Kevin says:

"That got me so angry that I deleted the bookmark of a favorite site, whose owner passed the thing along uncritically. Won’t be going back there again."

Wow you must have been really angry Kevin, to delete a bookmark :shock:

Do these people exist in real life?
not...he didn't...he deleted a bookmark!

Oh god, I may be sick...how can you...a poor innocent bookmark? Why? WHYYYYY?

Is this how deep your hate runs Kevin? IS THIS HOW DEEP YOUR HATE RUNS! WAS IT WORTH IT? WAS IT WORTH IT TO MUTILATE YOU BOOKMARKS FILE JUST BECAUSE YOU HATE?

where will it all end?
Won't somebody think of the bookmarks?

Shaking with rage right now.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
Gumby wrote:Steers, cancel that. Wrong link.

Try this:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-669536
Thanks Gumby. And in related news:

And now, ladies and gentlemen, the Fainting Couch Oscar goes to Caine, Fleur du Mal, for this stirring performance:
7. Caine, Fleur du mal
August 14, 2013 at 12:24 pm (UTC -7) Link to this comment

*sigh* Not helping. Not helping at all.

I am so weary…
:clap: :clap: :lol: :clap:
[youtube]Uai7M4RpoLU[/youtube]

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

katamari Damassi wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:[quote="CommanderTuvok"

I always piss myself laughing at the deluded righteous indignation Ophelia and her scumslugs spew.
I seldom bother to read the comments, just noticed how many *I* statements they contain.

It's not exactly a hallmark of skepticism for people to be lining up to express how stuff makes them feel.
The rage tears are delicious.
[youtube]pbIR51_J_qY[/youtube]

Southern

Re: It is possible that PZ wins.

Post by Southern »

Cold wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
Cold wrote: Murder shouldn't happen under any circumstances either but that doesn't mean I'm going to go to the barrio in Mexico and act indignant when I get murdered. Because I have a realistic, adult awareness of the world around me.
Oh, and I'm not sure 'barrio' means what you think it means. Just saying... ;)
It's just Spanish for "neighborhood", isn't it?

How do you say "the 'hood" in Spanish? Pretend like I'm describing the Mexican version of Detroit.
I don't speak Spanish, but as a Latin American, I did watch a lot of El Chavo del Ocho reruns and I believe it's "vecindad", if Don Ramón didn't fuck up the writing on the wall (as it is probably the case, because Doña Florinda makes that point):
31432586.jpg
(16.26 KiB) Downloaded 171 times

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Badger3k wrote:
Rystefn wrote:Ten bucks says their usernames are longer than their bank passwords.
No bet. I think there's an inverse relationship between length of internet handle and size of their self-respect.
That's ok. I wasn't going to pay out anyway.

Cold

Post by Cold »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Won't somebody think of the bookmarks?

*TRIGGER WARNGING*
*EXTREME BOOKMARK PREJUDICE*

I just installed a new web browser and forgot to copy my bookmarks over before deleting the old one. Is this a case of Bookmark Genocide?

I am the Pol Pot of web browsers. I am become death.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Gumby wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: "Improving through teamwork".

Me and you could be the biggest morality tale to come out of the Pit!
Indeed.

More wine?
Don't mind if I do, darling. Chocolate?
And to think that I may have contributed in some small way in a midwifery or matchmaker type capacity – it brings a tear to me eye, it does …. ;-)

Southern

Post by Southern »

Aneris wrote:
How it seems to be all about Good and Evil, taking sides, and beliefs. There is no room for entertaining different possiblities, or having a hunch (in either direction) but without declaring it as if it were true. And anonymity is directed at other people. The women are anonymous to us. It bears repeating:
  • “The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.”
    — Bertrand Russell
That sounds so much better in the Yeats poem that Steersman cited a few days ago:
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity

welch

Post by welch »

Ä uest wrote:http://i.imgur.com/8NIkbOu.jpg

At the Elyse Mofo Anders Skepchick Mr. Deity thread. http://skepchick.org/2013/08/if-you-don ... raped-duh/

Suggesting people know their drink limits and giving them ways to not drink is more like telling people not to text while driving, and not to answer texts or phone calls while driving.)

It's saying keep your eyes on the fucking road.
Well sure....IF YOU'RE THE PATRIARCHY!

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

real horrorshow wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Oolon managed to write a comment without mentioning the Slymepit. Impressive.
Meanwhile, at Skeptwat Central:
http://www.freezepage.com/1376526762ZSCVRKDVPK
As one of Ophie's commentors notes: Pay special mention to Sulky Amy's incisive analysis in the first comment.
They have a 'shop of Mr. Deity saying
"Rape exists like JESUS sexists--NOT IN ATHEISM! LOL!"
Really? Way to miss the whole fucking point! There's no hope for these people...

welch

Post by welch »

Aneris wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
Cold wrote:
Eerily accurate, right down to the hilarious lack of tits.

Why are Krauss and Penn "Into The Trash It Goes" Jillette lumped in there with PZ and Thibeault?
They're the first to die.
I wonder where Michael “Red Shirt” Nugent is in all of this. He's quite silent for the last few months after he started investigating “the Deep Rift”. I suspect he was shot from behind.

http://i.imgur.com/Nvb6CIy.jpg
LOL

He appears to have realized what a fucking morass some of this is, and gone back to actually doing stuff in Ireland.

which must mean...RAPIST.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

16bitheretic wrote:I wonder if it was "womansplaining" when my mom lectured me about never leaving my drinks unattended and knowing my limits.

Fucking matriarchal oppressor!
How dare she blame the possible victim!!!!!!

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: "Improving through teamwork".

Me and you could be the biggest morality tale to come out of the Pit!
Indeed.

More wine?
You lads look mighty nice in the moonlight.

care for some....coffee?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

JackRayner wrote: They have a 'shop of Mr. Deity saying
Really? Way to miss the whole fucking point! There's no hope for these people...
You have to take your "Patriarchy" glasses off, like that Sinfest guy. Then you'd see the world the correct way. Just like when a Christian says, if you only believed in Jesus, you would see the truth.

Cold

Post by Cold »

JackRayner wrote:They have a 'shop of Mr. Deity saying
http://skepchick.org/wp-content/uploads ... 52x150.png

I'M GONNA NEED TWO GUNS FOR THIS ONE

:suimouth: :suimouth:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Steersman wrote:
Gumby wrote:
More wine?
And to think that I may have contributed in some small way in a midwifery or matchmaker type capacity – it brings a tear to me eye, it does …. ;-)
You, sir, will be delivered of our first born, yours to raise and nurture to the age upon which it may be able to enter gainful employment, at which point its possession shall return to us.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Zenspace wrote:

OK. I never really waded through the comment section of an OB post at length before. Just WTF!?!?! How can a group of people be so mentally fucked as to turn the most basic bit of commentary on personal responsibility completely upside down and inside out in defense of their victim narrative!?!?! How do these people function in the real world? :doh:
Can you just imagine the fun and hilarity at a get together??

Dan

Post by Dan »

another lurker wrote: Rapey chocolate.
Chocolate Rape.png
(418.35 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote:
And if you choose to not lock up your bike, I still don't agree that it's your FAULT that the bike was stolen. It's the thief's fault. But, I do think you could have dealt with the world in a slightly more realistic fashion.
I got this great idea: Fuck analogies. I'm not exactly sure of the mind that takes a perfectly concrete case involving the individual responsibility to monitor one's own drinking and the first thought is "Hey, this is like..."

No. It's not. Don't let people change the subject so they can blow smoke up your ass. Seriously, they I see people go for the similes, my bullshit detector doesn't go off. It takes a nap. Because it figures it's not needed.

welch

Post by welch »

real horrorshow wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
VickyCaramel wrote:[quote="CommanderTuvok"

I seldom bother to read the comments, just noticed how many *I* statements they contain.

It's not exactly a hallmark of skepticism for people to be lining up to express how stuff makes them feel.
The rage tears are delicious.
[youtube]pbIR51_J_qY[/youtube]
OH NO...

[youtube]lEwnfhuPJGs[/youtube]

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: Won't somebody think of the bookmarks?

I just spit my "rape juice" everywhere :D

Cold

Post by Cold »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Zenspace wrote:

OK. I never really waded through the comment section of an OB post at length before. Just WTF!?!?! How can a group of people be so mentally fucked as to turn the most basic bit of commentary on personal responsibility completely upside down and inside out in defense of their victim narrative!?!?! How do these people function in the real world? :doh:
I imagine a bunch of awkward autistic landwhales shuffling around and randomly blurting "RAPE CULTURE" and "THE PATRIARCHY" while staring at the floor and trying to avoid eye contact.

disumbrationist

Post by disumbrationist »

Zenspace wrote:
An interesting article from Joanna Russ, the feminist science fiction writer, recently came to my attention: Power and Helplessness in the Women's Movement.
She notes two types of pathological feminists: Trembling Sisters and Magic Mommas. Trembing sisters are described thus:
Having avoided the guilt of being effective, she's allowed to feel and express her own needs, but she pays for these "advantages" by an enforced helplessness which requires that somebody fill her needs for her, since she's not allowed to do so herself.

The trouble is that nobody can.

No matter how much being taken care of the TS [Trembling Sister] manages to wangle out of others, it is never enough. For being taken care of is exactly what she does not need. It reinforces her helplessness, while what she really needs is access to her own effectiveness--and that is something no one can give to another person.
The article makes for an interesting read. The trembling sister archetype accounts for a great deal of the commentators on internet feminist blogs.
Another particularly relevant segment:
I haven't, needless to say, written the above out of pure, altruistic concern for the women's community. And I can't envision any of it affecting those women so alienated from their own power that they feel desperately that they must have a Magic Momma (somewhere, somehow) at all costs, even the cost of being miserably helpless. But there are many women who don't feel helpless themselves, yet feel guiltily (a) that everyone else must be, and (b) they don't want to risk the possibility that these totally helpless and vulnerable people may create a very nasty scene. (Quite a contradiction, that!) I also violently resent being first elevated to mythological status and then slammed for it. And the insistence on this person's hurt feelings and that one's tremendous vulnerability and the exquisite fragility of everyone (which doesn't prevent some of them kicking up a very nasty fuss when they don't get what they want). People dealing with external oppression don't act this way. (For one thing, they don't have time.) The MM/TS syndrome is a sign of internalized oppression and a form of addiction; that is, since it reinforces the Feminine Imperative, the more you get, the less you have and the more you need. The scenario strikes me as class-linked; I suspect that those oppressed in a directly economic way or by open force don't do this nearly as much--or at least that it doesn't reach the same pitch of feverishness.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

welch wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Indeed.

More wine?
You lads look mighty nice in the moonlight.

care for some....coffee?

http://i.imgur.com/Dc3i0q4.jpg

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Cold wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

I imagine a bunch of awkward autistic landwhales shuffling around and randomly blurting "RAPE CULTURE" and "THE PATRIARCHY" while staring at the floor and trying to avoid eye contact.
I think that a lot of it is still somewhat of an act - to impress their buddies on the site, and get brownie points for conformity.In the real world not *all* of them are that extreme. Someone here linked to a photography site where Caine posts, and apparently she doesn't have issues using 'cunt' in places that are not FTB.

welch

Post by welch »

So there's an event happening in Oct. in my area of expertise in...minneapolis.

Normally, I'd consider giving it a bye, travel and lodging are a bitch and it's MINNE-FUCKING-APOLIS in a month that is not AUGUST. I like my weather hot as fuck and humid as a pool, thank you very much.

But, if the idea that I'd be in their little safe sanctuary might give the FC5 the irrits....

Cold

Post by Cold »

another lurker wrote:
Cold wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

I think that a lot of it is still somewhat of an act - to impress their buddies on the site, and get brownie points for conformity.In the real world not *all* of them are that extreme. Someone here linked to a photography site where Caine posts, and apparently she doesn't have issues using 'cunt' in places that are not FTB.
Let's not forget the infamous photo of Becca Twatson having a dollar bill shoved down her bra. Either that photo took place before she went full retard or the dudebro in the picture was one of the few males she allows to treat her like a stripper.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Ophie just keeps going on. Two new posts up, one about a Facebook (looks like) group of "Skeptics and Atheists against Rebecca Watson" (bad idea kids, why give the witless one the attention she craves), and the other - John Morales transcribes the Mr Deity commentary. I thought that was a job for A+. Somehow, I doubt the even spelling it out in words, so that they can read them over and over, and think about the meaning, will do any good for them. They'll give it a cursory read, confirm their own judgement, and use it to look for more to be offended over.

real horrorshow

another lurker wrote:
Rope apologist wrote:You know what finished off the Salem witch trials, don't you.

It was the accusation that the girls made against a high official's wife, I think it was the governor's wife. It wasn't so fun for the officials watching any more when it became clear that it could hit them. The patriarchy began to deny the girls' experiences of attempted rape by spirits (as I recall, that was one of the claims), thereby mercilessly oppressing women.

Why would Silverman and Mr. Deity do anything but oppose the Public Rape Trials of today? Even if it turns out that Shermer was legally at fault for something, as unlikely as it seems from the tabloid trash emanating from Pharyngula, there's absolutely no reason for them to do anything but oppose the mob mentality exhibited by the insipid little despot of an internet forum.

So it's win-win for today. All who are not they are as bad as slymepitters now, opposing the scummy tactics that have become the tool of the righteous, and they get to feel even more right, and martyred, in their little echo chambers.

Bolded mine. I also remember reading that something similar put an end to the Spanish Inquisition. As soon as high level officials started getting thrown in jail, the accusers suddenly lost their zeal...
Or, Nikolaenko in 1930s Kiev. Singled out for special praise by Stalin, she could empty the streets by simply going outdoors. She sent about 8000 people to the gulag, or to death. Only her denunciation of Khrushchev finally burst the bubble.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

What I spit everywhere:
absolut_vodka_bottle__34872.jpg
(435.42 KiB) Downloaded 318 times

welch

Post by welch »

OOOhhhh...and I shall be in...SEATTLE in late august.

One of you nice anonymous lads monitoring the 'pit for the FC(n) be a dear and let ophie and mcwrong know? That's a luvvie, thanks.

(not that I would walk across a sidewalk to talk to them, but given how moronically paranoid they are about everything, if I can assist in their incipient catatonia just by being in the same city, well, t'would be negligent not to.)

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Rystefn wrote:
Zenspace wrote:How do these people function in the real world? :doh:
I suspect that they don't, and that's why they fled to crazy-town.
As GWW said in her video "Atheism, You Asked for It" and Franc wrote in his latest blog post, what the Atheism and Skeptical movement did, in order to go "big tent' and bring in more warm bodies, was to invite in all the (paraphrasing) fringe fucks, the odd-balls, miscreants, morons and, in a word, losers.

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
As GWW said in her video "Atheism, You Asked for It" and Franc wrote in his latest blog post, what the Atheism and Skeptical movement did, in order to go "big tent' and bring in more warm bodies, was to invite in all the (paraphrasing) fringe fucks, the odd-balls, miscreants, morons and, in a word, losers.
Inviting them in the tent wasn't the problem. It was when some dipshit put them in charge of...anything that the problem started. As Carlin said, "Hire the handicapped, but don't let them take your rectal temperature."

FrankGrimes

Post by FrankGrimes »

welch wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote: Kevin says:

"That got me so angry that I deleted the bookmark of a favorite site, whose owner passed the thing along uncritically. Won’t be going back there again."

Wow you must have been really angry Kevin, to delete a bookmark :shock:

Do these people exist in real life?
not...he didn't...he deleted a bookmark!

Oh god, I may be sick...how can you...a poor innocent bookmark? Why? WHYYYYY?

Is this how deep your hate runs Kevin? IS THIS HOW DEEP YOUR HATE RUNS! WAS IT WORTH IT? WAS IT WORTH IT TO MUTILATE YOU BOOKMARKS FILE JUST BECAUSE YOU HATE?

where will it all end?
Won't somebody think of the bookmarks?

Well, who can blame Kevin? The site owner passed the video on uncritically! Uncritically I tell you! That's gotta be some form of online rape doesn't it? Forcing him to watch a video that wasn't criticized by passing it on?

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Rystefn wrote:
Good point.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Cold wrote:Let's not forget the infamous photo of Becca Twatson having a dollar bill shoved down her bra. Either that photo took place before she went full retard or the dudebro in the picture was one of the few males she allows to treat her like a stripper.
You mean anyone that can make her feel like an attractive, desirable, young person for one more drunken night?

real horrorshow

Aneris wrote:
Caine, Fleur du mal wrote:Unfortunately, not unfuckingbelievable. The amount of flaming doucheweasels I’ve argued with over the last 6 days about women and alcohol, oy…

That said, I have no doubt he will be hoisted on the internet shoulders of flaming doucheweasels everywhere.
From which we may derive that "flaming doucheweasel" is Caine's mot du jour. Hasn't s/h/it read the A+ memo that says 'flaming' is queer-phobic or botter-daemoniacal or some such thing? What of the animal rights issues surrounding douching a weasel, or douching with a weasel? Fucking fascist!

Dave

Post by Dave »

Gumby wrote:
Dave wrote:
FlyingV wrote:Random question from newbie - has anyone photoshopped PZ as Biggest Douche in the Universe yet?
I can't 'shop, but anyone want to do a parody of the Dos Equis ad campaign: The Douchiest Man in the World.
not exactly what you ordered, but wth...
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... 0c143d.png
Close enough. Thank.s.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Mykeru wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
The real bitch of it is that it's next to impossible to get rid of those fuckos once they've moved in. Worse than fire ants, that lot... and less useful into the bargain.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ReneeHendricks wrote:What I spit everywhere:
Funny you should mention that. I rarely drink, but all this crap has been making me think of a mellow, old-timey bourbon, the kind you can sip around a camp fire from a flask and imagine that the 20th century, much less the 21st, much less P.Z. Myers' mom, never happened.

But I have no idea what brand that would be.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote: Inviting them in the tent wasn't the problem. It was when some dipshit put them in charge of...anything that the problem started. As Carlin said, "Hire the handicapped, but don't let them take your rectal temperature."
It's just the power of stupid. The way Rebecca Watson, who has never produced anything, done anything, or even showed much interest in "skeptical stuff" aside from being official "girl on the internet" back in the JREF forum is still treated as the woman's representative of skepticism on earth even though she's done jack shit.

I don't attribute that to any cleverness beside maniacal self-promotion on her part. I attribute that to people outside skepticism who don't know shit taking her word for it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Evan Williams

Cold

Post by Cold »

real horrorshow wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Caine, Fleur du mal wrote:Unfortunately, not unfuckingbelievable. The amount of flaming doucheweasels I’ve argued with over the last 6 days about women and alcohol, oy…

From which we may derive that "flaming doucheweasel" is Caine's mot du jour. Hasn't s/h/it read the A+ memo that says 'flaming' is queer-phobic or botter-daemoniacal or some such thing? What of the animal rights issues surrounding douching a weasel, or douching with a weasel? Fucking fascist!
Just giving you a heads up this time, I'm stealing this and posting it on Pharyngula. Too good to pass up, and it's time to stir the pot again.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Evan Williams
Specialty or traditional single barrel?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mykeru wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Evan Williams
Specialty or traditional single barrel?
I mean, traditional or specialty (single barrel)

Dave

Post by Dave »

Mykeru wrote:
Funny you should mention that. I rarely drink, but all this crap has been making me think of a mellow, old-timey bourbon, the kind you can sip around a camp fire from a flask and imagine that the 20th century, much less the 21st, much less P.Z. Myers' mom, never happened.

I'm fond of Woodford Reserve.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Dave wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

I approve.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

mikelf wrote:
Dave wrote:
I approve.
Yes, but is it old timey? Is it the sort of thing you would say "Bartender, leave the bottle"?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5548/9514 ... caf449.jpg

real horrorshow

Cold wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:

Just giving you a heads up this time, I'm stealing this and posting it on Pharyngula. Too good to pass up, and it's time to stir the pot again.
Much good may it do you!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Mykeru wrote:
welch wrote:
And if you choose to not lock up your bike, I still don't agree that it's your FAULT that the bike was stolen. It's the thief's fault. But, I do think you could have dealt with the world in a slightly more realistic fashion.
I got this great idea: Fuck analogies. I'm not exactly sure of the mind that takes a perfectly concrete case involving the individual responsibility to monitor one's own drinking and the first thought is "Hey, this is like..." .....
Might be concrete to you and others who have become adults - mentally in particular - but it seems to be too abstract for those who haven't yet done so. Hence the need to reframe the situation in terms of another one they might be more familiar with.

Nothing wrong with analogies - many argue it is our claim to fame, the basis for our "civilization", a fundamental element in the evolution of consciousness: Niels Bohr used the solar system as an analogy for his model of the atom so the method has a respectable pedigree.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Mykeru wrote:
mikelf wrote:
Dave wrote:
I approve.
Yes, but is it old timey? Is it the sort of thing you would say "Bartender, leave the bottle"?

Dunno of that cow raper would like it, but I can attest that it works well from a flask.

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Mykeru wrote:
mikelf wrote:
Dave wrote:
I approve.

Try some Bulliet, decent stuff in an old timey bottle.http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/defau ... 294200.jpg

Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

So, instead of finding out whether PZ Myers posted a retraction I ended up getting mightily drunk to celebrate something. Any word on that front? Or has PZ stuck to his guns and entirely ignored the lawyer's letter?