Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Badger3k

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by Badger3k »

ReneeHendricks wrote:What I spit everywhere:
absolut_vodka_bottle__34872.jpg
Sacrilege! Lick it up, now! ...er...I meant, not lasciviously or anything...just...alcohol abuse....um...(goes to corner) :doh: :shifty:

Dave

Post by Dave »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Yes, but is it old timey? Is it the sort of thing you would say "Bartender, leave the bottle"?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5548/9514 ... caf449.jpg
Try some Bulliet, decent stuff in an old timey bottle.http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/defau ... 294200.jpg
I've been known to enjoy some Bulleit. Not a bad choice if you want an old timely feel.

Post by Guest »

Hemisphere wrote:So, instead of finding out whether PZ Myers posted a retraction I ended up getting mightily drunk to celebrate something. Any word on that front? Or has PZ stuck to his guns and entirely ignored the lawyer's letter?
No retraction as of yet, though some have speculated that he might post one a little late to both satisfy Shermer and make the baboons think he held out as long as he possibly could.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

ReneeHendricks wrote:Laughing my *ASS* off at Ophie right now (and all her little groupies):

http://www.freezepage.com/1376520625NMKVBVQBPV
Louis the one-time Slymepitter wrote:Unhappy about this does not even cover it for me. What a rape apologising, manspalining fucker. I know he’s working with Shermer, so I was half expecting this, but, eurgh, I expected him to be one of the good guys.

Louis
Aww Louis, you're not really that big of a fucktard are you?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Thimbledick has a post up, I guess giving up on Atheists United now that someone (a relatively new hire, I guess) apparently got death threats after mentioning feminism. Have no idea what the story is, don't care, because I would trust them to tell the truth as much as I trust a creationists math on the age of the Earth.

But...he does link to his timeline and calls it "well-evidenced transgressions" (here). He throws in some Deep Space Nine because...I have no clue. Geek creed? He does title his post "Skeptic Empire", even though it's about Atheists United, whoever they are. Not sure of the correlation there, since while there is overlap, there is no necessity for them to be the same. Plus, I wouldn't consider anything from the ragtag hodgepodge of skeptic and atheists group as an "Empire". Maybe this is his need to not only feel part of something bigger, but part of something that is overwhelmingly bigger and powerful. Of course, look at the way we atheists have driven all signs of religion underground, where people are afraid to mention the word "god" except in hushed whispers. Just how much Fox news do you watch Lousy?

He does ask one question that may be rhetorical:
What kind of rationalists are we?
Quite simply, Jason, you're not.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Aneris wrote:
Badger3k wrote: <snip>They're the first to die.
I wonder where Michael “Red Shirt” Nugent is in all of this. He's quite silent for the last few months after he started investigating “the Deep Rift”. I suspect he was shot from behind.

http://i.imgur.com/Nvb6CIy.jpg
Good question - one I've wondered about as well. Particularly since PZ ominously promised to have "words" with him in Ireland about creating another outpost for "The Pit!" - has an "Fort Zinderneuf" ring to it, doesn't it?

But considering that he was sort of portraying himself - and, to be fair, acting like - an honest broker on the fence or no-man's land, if he was "shot from behind" then Atheist Ireland might have had a hand in that; maybe they realized he was "getting into the morass of a land war in Asia" - so to speak - and wished no part of it.

However, I expect my insult of Zvan didn't help matters much.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

welch wrote:
FrankGrimes wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:Laughing my *ASS* off at Ophie right now (and all her little groupies):

Kevin says:

"That got me so angry that I deleted the bookmark of a favorite site, whose owner passed the thing along uncritically. Won’t be going back there again."

Wow you must have been really angry Kevin, to delete a bookmark :shock:

Do these people exist in real life?
not...he didn't...he deleted a bookmark!

Oh god, I may be sick...how can you...a poor innocent bookmark? Why? WHYYYYY?

Is this how deep your hate runs Kevin? IS THIS HOW DEEP YOUR HATE RUNS! WAS IT WORTH IT? WAS IT WORTH IT TO MUTILATE YOU BOOKMARKS FILE JUST BECAUSE YOU HATE?

where will it all end?
The tragic story starts out like this, with the beginning stages of ragey protest deletions

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... c81132.gif

And they always tell you to stop after a few, but you just keep going and going. Next thing you know, they find you in your house after 3 weeks of isolation, having completely lost your shit:

http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u58 ... a50db6.gif

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Cunning Punt wrote:

Louis the one-time Slymepitter wrote:Unhappy about this does not even cover it for me. What a rape apologising, manspalining fucker. I know he’s working with Shermer, so I was half expecting this, but, eurgh, I expected him to be one of the good guys.

Louis
Aww Louis, you're not really that big of a fucktard are you?
He's drunk real deep, and fallen into that old time Fervor! He's got the Spirit Moving Him! Yeah! Hmm...with all their buzzwords, and how much sense they make, it could possibly be considered a form of speaking in tongues. They do fit a revival movement, don't they? :think:

Sad to see a guy who used to fight creationists doing the same things they do - making up their own definitions, casting blame on everyone else, the whole nine yards.

Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Steersman wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Badger3k wrote: <snip>They're the first to die.
I wonder where Michael “Red Shirt” Nugent is in all of this. He's quite silent for the last few months after he started investigating “the Deep Rift”. I suspect he was shot from behind.

http://i.imgur.com/Nvb6CIy.jpg
Good question - one I've wondered about as well. Particularly since PZ ominously promised to have "words" with him in Ireland about creating another outpost for "The Pit!" - has an "Fort Zinderneuf" ring to it, doesn't it?

But considering that he was sort of portraying himself - and, to be fair, acting like - an honest broker on the fence or no-man's land, if he was "shot from behind" then Atheist Ireland might have had a hand in that; maybe they realized he was "getting into the morass of a land war in Asia" - so to speak - and wished no part of it.

I expect Nugent is staying out of it because he realised it's not worthwhile. Joining either side of the debate at this point would likely do nothing to help his push to rid Ireland of Catholicism, and I think he's a fairly old-school religion bashing atheist type. In the UK and Ireland we've almost won the 'fight' against religion without evening trying, there's not much room for a gender-fem take-over as such, so the need for new political ideologies in the sceptical movements is almost nil here. Nugent probably would rather the whole argument stayed in the USA and didn't pollute our well so to speak.

Hemisphere

Post by Hemisphere »

Badger3k wrote:

Sad to see a guy who used to fight creationists doing the same things they do - making up their own definitions, casting blame on everyone else, the whole nine yards.
For the most part, the people who fight creationists are as ignorant and as stupid as the creationists themselves. Most of them support evolution thanks to their education/parents rather than any inherent superior intellect.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Hemisphere wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

For the most part, the people who fight creationists are as ignorant and as stupid as the creationists themselves. Most of them support evolution thanks to their education/parents rather than any inherent superior intellect.
Which is why teaching proper skepticism should come ahead of teaching any of the results. I know, good luck with that, right?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Rystefn wrote:
Hemisphere wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

Which is why teaching proper skepticism should come ahead of teaching any of the results. I know, good luck with that, right?
It's hard all right. Trying to teach high school kids to question some of their beliefs (like the "Illuminati controls rap stars" - a new one on me, or "mermaids are real" [after the stupid tv show]) was not easy. A recent commercial said that smartphones are like teachers (or something), since kids can get all this information, but ... wrong! Smartphones let people find information, but they need people to teach them how to read and evaluate the material they find, and give them the background info to be able to do that.

In related news, Insavanity has a repeat post of Thimbledick, however, she gives "atheists united" as "American's United for the Separation of Church and State", which I am familiar with, and which is not an atheist organization, or a skeptical one. It is a secular one. It is pretty funny that Svan (anybody else get the Ren and Stimpy "He is ollie, I am Sven" thing) complains about two people leaving secular organizations, while she was (and is) involved in driving people out of secular, skeptical, and atheist movements? All based on the fact that she doesn't like them (oh, but she has evidence, like all of that against Justin V .... not!)

Her post "How Many Do We Lose?" - hopefully all of them Steffy. More ideologues out of power the better.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Hemisphere wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Aneris wrote: Good question - one I've wondered about as well. Particularly since PZ ominously promised to have "words" with him in Ireland about creating another outpost for "The Pit!" - has an "Fort Zinderneuf" ring to it, doesn't it?

I expect Nugent is staying out of it because he realised it's not worthwhile. Joining either side of the debate at this point would likely do nothing to help his push to rid Ireland of Catholicism, and I think he's a fairly old-school religion bashing atheist type. In the UK and Ireland we've almost won the 'fight' against religion without evening trying, there's not much room for a gender-fem take-over as such, so the need for new political ideologies in the sceptical movements is almost nil here. Nugent probably would rather the whole argument stayed in the USA and didn't pollute our well so to speak.
The owl is somewhat wise.

The UK does have a fairly "meh" attitude to christianity, and thus there is no breach point available for hardcore feminism to squeeze a wedge into. There are, however, upcoming battles in the UK which will need to be fought against hardcore Judaism and Islamicismismismism. These need to be fought on the grounds of human rights (which adequately covers realistic feminism) and general atheistic principles (gods make people stupid), rather than developing into an SJW power trip in which allies are made enemies.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

welch wrote:
Ä uest wrote:http://i.imgur.com/8NIkbOu.jpg

At the Elyse Mofo Anders Skepchick Mr. Deity thread. http://skepchick.org/2013/08/if-you-don ... raped-duh/

Suggesting people know their drink limits and giving them ways to not drink is more like telling people not to text while driving, and not to answer texts or phone calls while driving.)

It's saying keep your eyes on the fucking road.
Well sure....IF YOU'RE THE PATRIARCHY!
Reading that post of Improbable Joe’s was a real jaw-dropping moment for me. Further evidence that many over there – starting with Ophelia “I did not compare TAM with Nazi Germany” Benson – are unclear on the concept of analogies. Although I’ll concede that more than a few on all sides have some difficulty with it, in part because of the obscure nuances and relationships frequently involved.

But while Improbable Joe, clever fellow that he is, is quite correct in identifying one common case in a spectrum of them where it is, as you’ve argued, not acceptable to rape someone because they are three sheets to the wind nor to ram their cars because they’re not wearing seatbelts, he seems incapable of considering or conceiving of other possibilities where the correspondences - the essence of analogies - are either non-existent, or of an entirely different kind. A notable one being that many people apparently drink together precisely because one can let go of a few inhibitions of one sort or another. In which case the analogy is more applicable to a game of bumper cars, or a game of chicken: “Let’s see how close we can skirt the edge without going over it!!!”

Some really odd or poorly thought out ideas about personal responsibility over there. Reminds me of a quote of Bertrand Russell:
We all have a tendency to think that the world must conform to our prejudices. The opposite view involves some effort of thought, and most people would die sooner than think — in fact they do so.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Simple, but brilliant:

[youtube]HLNhPMQnWu4[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

I really really really want Rystefn to make some specific prediction, which comes true, so that I can then congratulate him with: "Well, Rystefn nailed it".

http://i.imgur.com/PIVNmRF.png

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Badger3k wrote:
Rystefn wrote:Which is why teaching proper skepticism should come ahead of teaching any of the results. I know, good luck with that, right?
It's hard all right. Trying to teach high school kids to question some of their beliefs (like the "Illuminati controls rap stars" - a new one on me, or "mermaids are real" [after the stupid tv show]) was not easy. A recent commercial said that smartphones are like teachers (or something), since kids can get all this information, but ... wrong! Smartphones let people find information, but they need people to teach them how to read and evaluate the material they find, and give them the background info to be able to do that.
Right. Why is it so fucking hard to get people to understand that information does not equal education? Really, is that such a difficult concept? It's just the flip side of ignorance is not stupidity, right? Oh, wait... most people fuck that up, too.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I really really really want Rystefn to make some specific prediction, which comes true, so that I can then congratulate him with: "Well, Rystefn nailed it".

I assume nothing so banal as "PZ will still be a useless dipshit and Twatson will still be an insufferable cunt in six months" will do, will it?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

That Skepchick post.

Just pause for a moment. Skepchick is a collective that is supposedly built around scientific enquiry. That post is utterly embarrassing. Hysterical, neurotic, and embarrassing.

These people make the good intentions of a movement a laughing stock. It's incredible.

KenD

Post by KenD »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:The UK does have a fairly "meh" attitude to christianity, and thus there is no breach point available for hardcore feminism to squeeze a wedge into.
I'm not sure I see the link between attitudes towards Christianity and "hardcore" feminism. Sweden is one of the most atheistic countries in the world, but I doubt there's anywhere else where radical feminism has had as much mainstream political influence.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Sulman wrote:That Skepchick post.

Just pause for a moment. Skepchick is a collective that is supposedly built around scientific enquiry. That post is utterly embarrassing. Hysterical, neurotic, and embarrassing.

These people make the good intentions of a movement a laughing stock. It's incredible.
I've said it elsewhere, maybe here too, don't know, but my first exposure to the Skepchicks was two things. One, they through a lot of wild, drunk parties at skeptical events, and two, they had a website that did some skeptical stuff. Not going to conventions I couldn't care less of the first, and what I read of the second was unimpressive. I basically forgot about them until Watson got on the Skeptic's Guide, which was a bit of an embarrassment. Having to fill a quota for women was not a good idea for having someone on a podcast. Surely there were better people available?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

As I'm a relative newcomer to observing most of this drama, am I right in thinking that the charge of 'hyperskepticism' is simply what most people would call, er, skepticism?

I feel like Mugatu during the big reveal in Zoolander.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Damn, meant to put this is one post, but hit send before I remembered. More evidence of the Patriarchy?

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7734663424/hEF18B8C5/

(I did have to check and see if that is a real package or a shop, but it seems to be real. The kid is supposed to be smiling or laughing, but the angle does make it look worse than it is, but not much worse. What were they thinking?)

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

JackRayner wrote:[quote="real horrors

Meanwhile, at Skeptwat Central:
http://www.freezepage.com/1376526762ZSCVRKDVPK
As one of Ophie's commentors notes: Pay special mention to Sulky Amy's incisive analysis in the first comment.
They have a 'shop of Mr. Deity saying
"Rape exists like JESUS sexists--NOT IN ATHEISM! LOL!"
Really? Way to miss the whole fucking point! There's no hope for these people...[/quote]

She even admits that that's the only part she watched and could be taking him horribly out of context... wow that's some fine skepticing over there!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

KenD wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:The UK does have a fairly "meh" attitude to christianity, and thus there is no breach point available for hardcore feminism to squeeze a wedge into.
I'm not sure I see the link between attitudes towards Christianity and "hardcore" feminism. Sweden is one of the most atheistic countries in the world, but I doubt there's anywhere else where radical feminism has had as much mainstream political influence.
Okay, the "breach point" argument was framed within the context of atheists fighting christianity. Since the latter is a minor concern in the UK, it does not present a point of entry for extremist feminists. That's all, I have no idea how "radical feminism" has entered Swedish politics.

Post by Guest »

Sulman wrote:As I'm a relative newcomer to observing most of this drama, am I right in thinking that the charge of 'hyperskepticism' is simply what most people would call, er, skepticism?

As I saw someone say on the comments on the Mr. Deity vid, "hyperskepticism" is just a buzzword Myers et. ass use when someone is skeptical of one of their sacred cows, like "rape culture" or "patriarchy".

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Rystefn wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:I really really really want Rystefn to make some specific prediction, which comes true, so that I can then congratulate him with: "Well, Rystefn nailed it".

I assume nothing so banal as "PZ will still be a useless dipshit and Twatson will still be an insufferable cunt in six months" will do, will it?
I am SO onto this in February 2014.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

OK. I never really waded through the comment section of an OB post at length before. Just WTF!?!?! How can a group of people be so mentally fucked as to turn the most basic bit of commentary on personal responsibility completely upside down and inside out in defense of their victim narrative!?!?! How do these people function in the real world? :doh:[/quote]

Can you just imagine the fun and hilarity at a get together??[/quote]

I imagine a bunch of awkward autistic landwhales shuffling around and randomly blurting "RAPE CULTURE" and "THE PATRIARCHY" while staring at the floor and trying to avoid eye contact.[/quote]

So you have a problem with my parties? Invitation rescinded... :snooty:

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Sulman wrote:As I'm a relative newcomer to observing most of this drama, am I right in thinking that the charge of 'hyperskepticism' is simply what most people would call, er, skepticism?

Hyperskepticism is the same as hyperawesomeness: not possible. Honestly, though, I can totally see some of those fuckers saying "Nope. Too awesome. Get the fuck out. Patriarchy." The fact that they think it's a thing tells you that they are intrinsically against the very idea top to bottom, really, and only tolerate small amounts to serve their own ends, but they don't like it.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Just wanted to say thanks for staying away from the Russian rape juice.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Rystefn wrote:

Well, that was easy. Here I was thinking it would need to be something specific like PZ's book tanking, him getting taken to the cleaners by Shermer's legal team, nearly losing his job over this bullshit, and having to e-beg his way to the next round of crazy-assed feminist pseudoskeptic conferences whereupon, seeing that she can't gain anything from him anymore since she's now a bigger fish than he is, Twatson will kick his sorry ass to the curb, probably by accusing him of sexually harassing her. After seeing this prediction when people are crowing about how I called it all before it happens, she'll deny knowing anything about this Rystefn person except that he's a misogynistic, lying asshole, and probably a sociopath.

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

For your amusment:

[youtube][/youtube]

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

Tag fail... OK what is the secret to embedding YouTube vids here?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Biohazard wrote:For your amusment:

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube]2y_-vsHvPBE[/youtube]

Just put the number between the youtube parts. You don't need the whole URL. Hopefully got this in before we get a repeat of the posting vids (although are they put anywhere else in the site, like a "how to" thread?)

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Rystefn wrote: Well, that was easy. Here I was thinking it would need to be something specific like PZ's book tanking, him getting taken to the cleaners by Shermer's legal team, nearly losing his job over this bullshit, and having to e-beg his way to the next round of crazy-assed feminist pseudoskeptic conferences whereupon, seeing that she can't gain anything from him anymore since she's now a bigger fish than he is, Twatson will kick his sorry ass to the curb, probably by accusing him of sexually harassing her. After seeing this prediction when people are crowing about how I called it all before it happens, she'll deny knowing anything about this Rystefn person except that he's a misogynistic, lying asshole, and probably a sociopath.
So you don't think he'll abandon his wife for Watson, and then she'll refuse him, leaving him a homeless hobo wanking for Jen in Seattle? :lol:

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Badger3k wrote:Thimbledick has a post up, I guess giving up on Atheists United now that someone (a relatively new hire, I guess) apparently got death threats after mentioning feminism. Have no idea what the story is, don't care, because I would trust them to tell the truth as much as I trust a creationists math on the age of the Earth.

But...he does link to his timeline and calls it "well-evidenced transgressions" (here). He throws in some Deep Space Nine because...I have no clue. Geek creed? He does title his post "Skeptic Empire", even though it's about Atheists United, whoever they are. Not sure of the correlation there, since while there is overlap, there is no necessity for them to be the same. Plus, I wouldn't consider anything from the ragtag hodgepodge of skeptic and atheists group as an "Empire". Maybe this is his need to not only feel part of something bigger, but part of something that is overwhelmingly bigger and powerful. Of course, look at the way we atheists have driven all signs of religion underground, where people are afraid to mention the word "god" except in hushed whispers. Just how much Fox news do you watch Lousy?

Read my last post. Page 181, I think. Back story on death threats...

katamari Damassi

Badger3k wrote:
Rystefn wrote: Well, that was easy. Here I was thinking it would need to be something specific like PZ's book tanking, him getting taken to the cleaners by Shermer's legal team, nearly losing his job over this bullshit, and having to e-beg his way to the next round of crazy-assed feminist pseudoskeptic conferences whereupon, seeing that she can't gain anything from him anymore since she's now a bigger fish than he is, Twatson will kick his sorry ass to the curb, probably by accusing him of sexually harassing her. After seeing this prediction when people are crowing about how I called it all before it happens, she'll deny knowing anything about this Rystefn person except that he's a misogynistic, lying asshole, and probably a sociopath.
So you don't think he'll abandon his wife for Watson, and then she'll refuse him, leaving him a homeless hobo wanking for Jen in Seattle? :lol:
Falling through a wormhole and travelling back in time, only to be spotted by Jen and blogged about.

katamari Damassi

Badger3k wrote:
Falling through a wormhole and travelling back in time, only to be spotted by Jen and blogged about.

katamari Damassi

Sorry about the double post folks. Don't know how it happened.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Thimbledick has a post up, I guess giving up on Atheists United now that someone (a relatively new hire, I guess) apparently got death threats after mentioning feminism. Have no idea what the story is, don't care, because I would trust them to tell the truth as much as I trust a creationists math on the age of the Earth.

Read my last post. Page 181, I think. Back story on death threats...
You're referring to the post where someone made them on your page? If so, I did, but good to point back to it, though. Did you see the comment on you by the poster at Ophie's blog. Not sure where I posted it, but it is from Atheist Revolution. They didn't say you were a harasser, but you know how it goes.

And speaking of atheism and religion, I just saw this posted and had to say WTF? It has nothing to do with the usual suspects, but about a judge who changed a kids name from Messiah to Martin because it offended her. FFRF is looking into it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Re: It is possible that PZ wins.

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

VickyCaramel wrote:I wonder if Watson, when studying communication and all that stuff, came across the concept of creating a new reality? Painting a picture of the world and sticking to it, until people believe that is the reality.
Becca is a classic fabulist. Whatever pops into her head become reality for her. She also surely has Attention Seeking Disorder, and making up tales of woe is a common way to get attention. As is acting like a drunken floozy.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

katamari Damassi wrote:Sorry about the double post folks. Don't know how it happened.
Obviously it fell through time! :o

Will Jen blog about it, though?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

katamari Damassi wrote:Sorry about the double post folks. Don't know how it happened.
You obviously crossed your timelines after falling through that wormhole.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Badger3k wrote:

Gack. Ninja'd.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

welch wrote:Meh. A good chunk of SRV's albums could be called "A White Texan Playing Buddy Guy". Elvis robbed people blind. So did Heart and most other bands of the 60s and 70s. Doesn't make it right, but it's how rock music was.
Neither Elvis, nor Stevie Ray, nor the Wilsons recorded other people's songs but gave themselves credit for writing those songs. Plant & co. did. And they've been dicks about it to this day.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Badger3k wrote:

Gack. Ninja'd.
Yah gotta be fast, or have no life. :shifty:

codelette

Re: It is possible that PZ wins.

Post by codelette »

Cold wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
Cold wrote: Murder shouldn't happen under any circumstances either but that doesn't mean I'm going to go to the barrio in Mexico and act indignant when I get murdered. Because I have a realistic, adult awareness of the world around me.
Oh, and I'm not sure 'barrio' means what you think it means. Just saying... ;)
It's just Spanish for "neighborhood", isn't it?

How do you say "the 'hood" in Spanish? Pretend like I'm describing the Mexican version of Detroit.
a "barriada" is more like "the hood".

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

real horrorshow wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Oolon managed to write a comment without mentioning the Slymepit. Impressive.
Meanwhile, at Skeptwat Central:
http://www.freezepage.com/1376526762ZSCVRKDVPK
As one of Ophie's commentors notes: Pay special mention to Sulky Amy's incisive analysis in the first comment.
As usual, these people go far, far out of their way to intentionally miss the point their critics are making. Dishonest fucktards.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

Badger3k wrote:
No, I think it's more likely his wife will leave him, finally getting fed up with his shit. Also, I really, really hope he doesn't come to Seattle, I kind of like it here.

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

Zenspace wrote:Simple, but brilliant:

[youtube]HLNhPMQnWu4[/youtube]

OOOOOHHHH!!! THIS 1,000 TIMES THIS!!!!!

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Biohazard wrote:Tag fail... OK what is the secret to embedding YouTube vids here?
You do it like this...

Code: Select all

Easiest way. Hit share:
http://youtu.be/zKAO_ieeqTo 

Keep only the stuff after the / 
[youtube]zKAO_ieeqTo[/youtube]
I happened upon this older video. Didn't know that Mr. Deity commented on PZ McCarthy before, with Misogynist Hat on.

For those who somehow missed it, despite that it's all over the place, he commented on current events in the latest episode Featuring a Hat (mostly in the part after the skit).

Rope apologist

Post by Rope apologist »

Aneris wrote:
Biohazard wrote:Tag fail... OK what is the secret to embedding YouTube vids here?
You do it like this...

Code: Select all

Easiest way. Hit share:
http://youtu.be/zKAO_ieeqTo 

Keep only the stuff after the / 
I happened upon this older video. Didn't know that Mr. Deity commented on PZ McCarthy before, with Misogynist Hat on.

For those who somehow missed it, despite that it's all over the place, he commented on current events in the latest episode Featuring a Hat (mostly in the part after the skit).
Oh come on, atheists being conformist, not tolerating other opinions? Getting atheists to agree is like herding cats.

OK, stupid dogmatic cats with rigid us-vs.-them standards for deciding what's right and wrong, cats that will denounce you for not mewing quite right. But cats. Very special cats that stick to the party line. Wondercats, indeed!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Rystefn wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Rystefn wrote:
Well, that was easy. Here I was thinking it would need to be something specific like PZ's book tanking, him getting taken to the cleaners by Shermer's legal team, nearly losing his job over this bullshit, and having to e-beg his way to the next round of crazy-assed feminist pseudoskeptic conferences whereupon, seeing that she can't gain anything from him anymore since she's now a bigger fish than he is, Twatson will kick his sorry ass to the curb, probably by accusing him of sexually harassing her. After seeing this prediction when people are crowing about how I called it all before it happens, she'll deny knowing anything about this Rystefn person except that he's a misogynistic, lying asshole, and probably a sociopath.
Rystefn, given your previous life as a friend of Becky, this seems a less than humorous comment.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Zenspace wrote:Simple, but brilliant:

[.youtube]HLNhPMQnWu4[/youtube]
It seems so familiar... as if it's reminding me of someone or some group...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

This is not news to y'all, but it's stunning how far apart perspectives can be.

Dalton completely called it at the end of his commentary (as transcribed at Benson's site):
Of course, if you’re completely divorced from the skeptic community, I don’t expect you to understand these basic principles — but the rest of us should know better!
Benson, Anders, & those commenting on their posts see Dalton as dismissing women's statements as gossip, rather than as dismissing anonymous (& other) unverifiable stories as unworthy of being believed unskeptically.

They see him as mansplaining to women how to say no to alcohol*, rather than demonstrating pretty basic limit-setting, applicable to anyone & everyone who doesn't already feel comfortable politely, firmly, and seamlessly standing up for themselves in adult interactions.

*which they see as meaning he is victim-blaming; that pretty much goes without saying

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Mykeru wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Evan Williams
Specialty or traditional single barrel?
Single barrel. It's like a fine cognac. I still have about 3 snifters worth left of a 1989 I bought back when I had money.

Typical_Name

Post by Typical_Name »

CommanderTuvok wrote:Also makes you wonder whether RationalWiki will actually be rational and document the irrationality of the Baboons on this one. In the past, they have sided with them.
I just checked - RationalWiki has made no mention of Shermer or the accusations of rape on their page on PZ Meyers, despite having been edited this very day (curiously, the last time I checked, a few days ago, the page had also been edited on that day too - perhaps there is an edit war going on?). Additionally, their page on FTB is silent on the issue of the blog being populated by cultists.

Early Cuyler

Post by Early Cuyler »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for staying away from the Russian rape juice.
Would you please knock it off with the "boycott Russian Vodka" shit?

It's already been pointed out that none of these vodka companies support the governmnet's position, and many of them are pro LGBT.

Or you coud just be being sarcastic, in which case, ROCK ON!!!

:hankey:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Quote a veteran, and all shall be revealed. That's how I figured out how to do this:

This one goes out to Peezus. I am so done with your wanker antics!

[youtube]4emYaDbaJ8w[/youtube]

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:[quote="Rystefn"
Rystefn, given your previous life as a friend of Becky, this seems a less than humorous comment.[/quote]

Wait... was I supposed to be making a joke or predicting the future? Or are you just somehow surprised at me being malicious for some reason?