Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/Iutu79H.jpg

Really?
No walkout at SkepchickCon?
Where are all the african americans and hispanics?
oh for fuck's sake, is that canuck in the front row in a fucking utilikilt?

welch

Post by welch »

Badger3k wrote:

Really?
You should be aware that in Minnesota, there are none. Yep. They don't exist. Plus, they forgot to put a line in Spanish or something about drugs or poverty, so they failed to attract them to the Convergence conference. That's it. Yeah.

(or they're just smarter and knew not to waste their time with that panel)
I've been in minnesota during harvest. There's a gob of brown people there.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Huh, huh, Mykeru -- I lasted nearly 7 minutes longer than you before getting banned! :dance:
Mykeru wrote:Loftus has the "Skeptic in Name Only" habit of shouting "that's a non-sequitur" .... He seems to have no grasp of the mechanism of critical reasoning and tosses out terms the same way he would refer to "truth" and "love" while doing apologetics.... he just tosses out argument terms of art as a form of moral censure while doing far worse in his own argumentation himself.
Lofts idea of a non-sequitur seems to be "It's not the same, because I say it's not!"

My use of "just as skepticism..." unmistakably proposed a correlation, as did my carefully-structured first sentence, describing rejection of deities and of chem-trails in the same terms.

Loftus wants Atheism to be different than every other skeptically-derived conclusion, but he refuses to say why it's so. One must therefore conclude that his atheism is not based at all on skepticism or logic: it's merely his latest faith-based belief system. Which makes Loftus' 'ministry' not helpful, but rather damaging, to the promotion of skepticism.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

welch wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:[bimg]http://i.imgur.com/Iutu79H.jpg[/bimg]

Really?
Inevitable, really.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote:

Really?
I didn't notice that before, as a first generation scottish-american that truly pisses me off

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote: Dude, I'm going to take your post apart, point by point.

First you state...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
you got farthzzzzzzzzzzz

karlaporter

Post by karlaporter »

Aneris wrote:You're just total haters. Here is diversity. Plenty.

http://i.imgur.com/hiVVtAN.jpg
You rock Aneris................

welch

Post by welch »

Wonderist wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:By the way, I love the way that Champion the Wonder Bore missed mikelf's comment about typing one-handed.
Why respond to everything? That was yet another of your guys' assumptions about me during the demonstration the other night. You think it's a psychology thing, but it was just a demo of a (one) technique.
Also, I see Boreis is lamely experimenting with a new "technique" of using insults in a jocular manner.
a) not new, not experimenting. b) notice my responses are mirrors of welch's own.

Also, it's not anti-drama in this case.
Oh please. You wish you could use profanity worth a tinker's damn. Sorry to say, like most people overly impressed with themselves, you assume your ability to bore people into suicide translates into skills in other areas. Leave the profanity to the pros Darla.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Post by ThreeFlangedJavis »

welch wrote:........................
I do rather enjoy that. It's nice to compare things without it degenerating into "My Kung Fu is better than your Karate". Which, luckily, i've not had to deal with much. Every style brings something interesting to the table, and I learn quite a bit from my conversations with others.
I've heard it said that a natural fighter, by which I mean someone who instinctively and very aggressively does damage, is very likely to massacre just about any martial artist. Krav Maga seems to be based on the same basic principle (loosely) of immediately smacking whichever bit of your opponent presents itself. All of the 'real' martial arts bouts I've ever seen look very slow and clunky compared to the popular perception of Bruce Lee style grace and power. In a real death match people are going to be biting and clawing eyes out and not bothering too much about style.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Huh, huh, Mykeru -- I lasted nearly 7 minutes longer than you before getting banned
Accomodationist

welch

Post by welch »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
welch wrote:........................
I do rather enjoy that. It's nice to compare things without it degenerating into "My Kung Fu is better than your Karate". Which, luckily, i've not had to deal with much. Every style brings something interesting to the table, and I learn quite a bit from my conversations with others.
I've heard it said that a natural fighter, by which I mean someone who instinctively and very aggressively does damage, is very likely to massacre just about any martial artist. Krav Maga seems to be based on the same basic principle (loosely) of immediately smacking whichever bit of your opponent presents itself. All of the 'real' martial arts bouts I've ever seen look very slow and clunky compared to the popular perception of Bruce Lee style grace and power. In a real death match people are going to be biting and clawing eyes out and not bothering too much about style.
Oh look, the other trope. What a surprise.

If the only thing you want out of life is learning how to beat people up, then I recommend going into south-central LA in a Klan hood. If you live, you'll be the baddest motherfucker on the planet.

ThreeFlangedJavis

JackSkeptic wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
Useless Lurker wrote:Aneris -- "On which floor was Watson staying?"

I dont know, but the O'Callahan Alexander has only 5 floors.
DPRJones of the Magic Sandwich fame (youtube show ft. himslef, tf00t and aron ra) claims he was there that night. He further claims he was talking to her that night just before she went to bed. He said she was staying on the 2nd floor.
I think he got that wrong as it was the night before.

Anyway as everyone knows her 'guys don't do that' was fine. It was her publicly trying to humiliate a female student as part of her talk, just for disagreeing with her, that showed what a vicious person she was. The elevator thing somehow got entangled in the mess.
That bit was 'fine' in the sense that it MAY have been a personal request not to do that to her specifically, but the bit following that about how she objects to being sexualised was not so fine, because it was not clear that she was being sexualised and however much right she has to not like it, people can have as many wet dreams about her as they like if they keep their hands off her.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Well, I listened to Ally Fogg on Reap's show and he came across as somebody who didn't really know anything about the situation, but still felt justified in telling everybody how to act. Definitely seems to think he is superior to all sides in the drama. He also seemed to be slightly pished.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
Useless Lurker wrote:Aneris -- "On which floor was Watson staying?"

I dont know, but the O'Callahan Alexander has only 5 floors.
DPRJones of the Magic Sandwich fame (youtube show ft. himslef, tf00t and aron ra) claims he was there that night. He further claims he was talking to her that night just before she went to bed. He said she was staying on the 2nd floor.
I think he got that wrong as it was the night before.

Anyway as everyone knows her 'guys don't do that' was fine. It was her publicly trying to humiliate a female student as part of her talk, just for disagreeing with her, that showed what a vicious person she was. The elevator thing somehow got entangled in the mess.
That bit was 'fine' in the sense that it MAY have been a personal request not to do that to her specifically, but the bit following that about how she objects to being sexualised was not so fine, because it was not clear that she was being sexualised and however much right she has to not like it, people can have as many wet dreams about her as they like if they keep their hands off her.
The only reason anyone would sexualize her in the first place is due to the prohibitive cost of compiling a big enough lump of sourdough to fuck doggie-style

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dick Strawkins wrote:[

[Carrier's] defence of Patriarchy theory was quite laughable for someone who is an academic.
In fact, the concept of patriarchy is an empirically testable theory of social attitudes and organization, and the evidence more than bears it out.
I'm all ears Richard.
Do go on.

I'm sure Dick ran a bayesian equation on teh Patriarchy, entered his assumptions, pressed the GIGO button, and out popped the expected result.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Regarding diversity at the evo psych panel. If you look very carefully you may spot me lurking in there somewhere.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

bhoytony wrote:Well, I listened to Ally Fogg on Reap's show and he came across as somebody who didn't really know anything about the situation, but still felt justified in telling everybody how to act. Definitely seems to think he is superior to all sides in the drama. He also seemed to be slightly pished.
When does the Ally part start.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Kareem wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Well, I listened to Ally Fogg on Reap's show and he came across as somebody who didn't really know anything about the situation, but still felt justified in telling everybody how to act. Definitely seems to think he is superior to all sides in the drama. He also seemed to be slightly pished.
Pretend there's a question mark there.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

why should i.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Kareem wrote:
I'm not sure exactly when it starts, but it's just tagged onto the end of the show. Reap originally recorded it for his Angry Atheist podcast, but when it derailed onto the Great Schism he decided it was a better fit for Reapsow Radio.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Slightly pished, yeah. But he gave an honest outsiders view to the situation and asked a few decent questions that. Reap just couldn't answer without waffling on for 5 minutes and talking over the guy. I mean, seriously, are we really going to argue that the primary focus of this forum is not FTB and what they get up to?

ThreeFlangedJavis

Dick Strawkins wrote:..................................

How many people would, if faced with a suicidal family member, say a child, sibling or partner, just walk away?
And if they don't walk away does that mean they are simply narcissists or co-dependent?

Having said this I recognize that it can end up not being all one sided. BPD relationships can be very destructive for both partners and the long term consequences of living in a situation of constant 'walking on eggshells' should not be underestimated. Breaking this cycle can only be achieved by recognizing the facts of the condition and dealing with them (which, unfortunately, in the majority of cases is going to mean ending the relationship.)
People with issues tend to find each other. The narcissist is attracted by the initial mirroring behaviour and co-dependents are attracted to the dysfunction. Co-dependent people often, usually unconsciously, need someone to 'save'. Part of the recovery process for ex-partners of borderline sufferers often involves recognition of their own issues which drew them into and exacerbated/enabled the dysfunctional relationship.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

An honest outsider with a blog on the FTB network. Reap certainly could have done a lot better.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Yeah, so what. We can't trust his opinion now because he has a blog on FTB? Who gives a fuck, his argument should stand or fall on its own merit.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Wonderist wrote:Topic: Anti-trolling with Socratic Method
Oh, Grasshopper. You are so busy banging your gong repeatedly and admiring the sound it makes that you cannot hear the truth that lives in the silence.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

KiwiInOz wrote:
What style/s did you teach, welch?

I trained in Silat (bela diri), which is great for guerilla fighting or street defence, but not so good in sport fighting. I spent my first and only kick boxing fight worrying about hurting my opponent, i.e. restricting myself to bludgeoning attacks rather than breaking joints or stoving in his larynx.

At 46 I've found that boxing training is great for keeping fit, but requires a different discipline.

(Psst Reap, we are discussing martial arts - and stuff)
I was taught CaC "corp à corp) in the army. Mind you, our elite skydivers were called CRAP ( Commando de de Reconnaissance et d'Action dans la Profondeur). Oh, the fun we had with our English-speaking collegues...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

cunt wrote:Yeah, so what. We can't trust his opinion now because he has a blog on FTB? Who gives a fuck, his argument should stand or fall on its own merit.
I never said anything about not trusting his opinion because of the blog, just questioning the description of "outsider".
Anyway, I wasn't too impressed by him, I was expecting a better after reading some of his stuff.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Alright, well lets just assume that Myers personally gave him £3000 to say what he said on Reaps podcast. How does this change things? How is anything he said actually wrong?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

I didn't agree with some of the things he said, I did agree with others. Are you happy? No of course you're not.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

bhoytony wrote:I didn't agree with some of the things he said, I did agree with others. Are you happy? No of course you're not.
How about - pick a part that you disagreed with - and explain why.

Or something.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

How about you go and fucking listen to it. I have no intention of getting into a long and boring shitfest about something I'm not very interested in the first place. I just don't have the technique.

cunt

Post by cunt »

bhoytony wrote:I didn't agree with some of the things he said, I did agree with others. Are you happy? No of course you're not.
So it's unreasonable to ask which parts you disagree with now? I'm being really unreasonable asking you to articulate your thoughts? This is my problem and not yours.

Good one.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

bhoytony wrote:How about you go and fucking listen to it.
I've been listening to it for the past while - though it was just normal listening.

You expressed an opinion.

People asked for more context. Cunt expressed queries to you.

You seem to think your opinion stands as an explanation in and of itself.

It doesn't.

Perhaps you're just incapable of explaining yourself without getting angry or something.
I have no intention of getting into a long and boring shitfest about something I'm not very interested in the first place. I just don't have the technique.
Well maybe working on that would be another string to your clearly considerable rhetorical bow.

ThreeFlangedJavis

Dick Strawkins wrote: ...............
There is also the problem that some people think that evolutionary psychology is focusing on one particular topic - the evolution of psychological differences between males and females. That is only one small part of Evo Psych. It is fraught with difficulties because there are very little genetic differences between men and women. Men have about 57 genes on their Y chromosome that mostly seem to be associated with testicular and sperm formation. The other 20,000 genes are the same in both men and women. It seems most plausible therefore, that if recent evolution occurred that affected human psychology, it would affect both men and women. But an evolutionary change that affects the psychology of both sexes is still Evo Psych.
I'm no geneticist, so perhaps someone could confirm, but is the expression of genes sometimes controlled by body chemistry. If that's true, then the hormonal differences could trigger greater differences between males and females than caused by just those 57 genes.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

cunt wrote:
So it's unreasonable to ask which parts you disagree with now? I'm being really unreasonable asking you to articulate your thoughts? This is my problem and not yours.

Good one.
My problem is that I don't care enough to spend any more time on it. We disagree on it, I'm fine with that. I am not going to comment further.
Feel free to pour your withering, cynical scorn on me. I know it must be a burden to be so jaded, yet so wise.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Really?
That looks pretty much exactly like the atheist meetings I attended in the 90s, but with more lesbians. Progress, I guess.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Yeah, poor you.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

cunt wrote:
Slightly pished, yeah. But he gave an honest outsiders view to the situation and asked a few decent questions that. Reap just couldn't answer without waffling on for 5 minutes and talking over the guy. I mean, seriously, are we really going to argue that the primary focus of this forum is not FTB and what they get up to?
My primary focus here is to glean what i can from the wonder(full)ist... not the rest of you then? :think:

sacha

Post by sacha »

Apples wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
codelette wrote:So, yeah...I was perusing one of the Puertorican paper websites this morning and looky looky...the O.T. with the self-harm fetish is there!
http://www.vocero.com/se-hace-pierna-or ... ego-video/
That's the one who used to post sometimes on FfTB, sometimes calling herself ziztur on youtube. She's into self harm in a big way. She cut off her toes (by accident? on purpose?), and then more recently her whole lower leg. She hinted that she did these things because she strongly wanted to but that she had to be careful of her wording so that it would officially stay under the banner 'accident'. I'm guessing she'd get fired or disqualify for some benefit or something if they knew for sure that she did it all on purpose.

What does O.T. stand for?
I believe she's an occupational therapist. It should be said that the toe story is a little obscure, though as I recall she did give the impression that she'd intentionally chopped a toe or two. The lower leg amputation apparently happened after she mangled her foot by dropping her car on it while doing a brake job (I blame the patriarchy) and decided to have it removed instead of risking a bunch of potentially ineffective surgeries to save it. That said, I'd be willing to bet she's on the "bodily integrity identity disorder" spectrum. Here's a Slate piece on a documentary about "amputee wannabes":

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_an ... a_leg.html
often those with body-dysmorphic disorder that manifests as feeling as though they have one limb too many, will deliberately try to injure that limb beyond the point of modern medicine's ability to save it. That is the only way they are able to have it removed.

ThreeFlangedJavis

katamari Damassi wrote:
Southern wrote:
ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
I understand why the US gov wants to squish Snowden, but this shit about it being the duty of other governments to extradite the guy to the US for revealing secrets about the way the US gov contravenes laws with abandon is a bit rich.
While I understand WHY they want to squish him, I don't understand HOW they can muster all the schutzpah to justify it AND still be called a "democracy". "Oh, yeah, we're spying on our population; now give us this filthy spy who denounced us, or we'll get nasty on you". It's like on Catch-22, when they give the medal to Yossarian: "let's be proud of something we should be ashamed of, it always works".
Snowden didn't tell us anything new about domestic spying and then he started revealing how the US spies on other countries. That really is aiding our enemies, and don't think for a second that China and Russia haven't copied every bit of data on those 4 laptops he's travelling with. I hope we get him.
No other nation is obliged to aid the US in it's illegal espionage activities.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

A good illustration of my personal hypothesis regarding the lack of diversity at Skepchickcon:

http://e.asset.soup.io/asset/4542/5470_0b59_350.gif

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Recent e-mail from the Secular Student Alliance (emphasis mine):
Just a heads up, it is your very last chance to register for the Secular Student Alliance Columbus Conference! We hope you don’t miss out on this awesome opportunity to see speakers like Hemant Mehta, Amanda Marcotte, and many others!
If you registered with a group, please follow up with the individual members to make sure they filled out their forms.

If you have any questions please email the Campus Organizing Team at Conference@secularstudents.org.
We hope to see you there!
Whatever happened to Marcotte 'writing off the secular movement as irrelevant' and why would the SSA include her at a national conference? Ugh.

:think:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: ...............
There is also the problem that some people think that evolutionary psychology is focusing on one particular topic - the evolution of psychological differences between males and females. That is only one small part of Evo Psych. It is fraught with difficulties because there are very little genetic differences between men and women. Men have about 57 genes on their Y chromosome that mostly seem to be associated with testicular and sperm formation. The other 20,000 genes are the same in both men and women. It seems most plausible therefore, that if recent evolution occurred that affected human psychology, it would affect both men and women. But an evolutionary change that affects the psychology of both sexes is still Evo Psych.
I'm no geneticist, so perhaps someone could confirm, but is the expression of genes sometimes controlled by body chemistry. If that's true, then the hormonal differences could trigger greater differences between males and females than caused by just those 57 genes.
The Y specific genes are essential for the formation of the testes rather than ovaries (if the genes are missing through partial deletion of the Y chromosome, then the embryo develops as a karyotypic XY 'female'.)
Males and females produce different levels of hormones that have multiple effects on both the body and the brain - for example testosterone, estrogen or progesterone - so the answer is basically yes - but most of the effects are not direct. In other words it is not the Y specific gene that is being constantly expressed and having an effect in the here and now, it is, rather, the much later result of an earlier effect of that gene (the earlier effect being to tell the body to form testes rather than ovaries.)

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

I actually disagree with Ally about certain behaviors being one sided. We know Ophelia Benson regularly monitors people she disagrees with and at times list the results on her blog. What she does is actually crazier than what Elevatorgate does because she claims it is somehow different when anyone else does it or even mentions her name. That's just monitoring. If we go into Laden or Rebecca Watson continuing badmouthing Dawkins (this is what Reap should have mentioned instead of "she draws attention to herself")

Also, many people here do give alternative ideas or give their opinions on ideas put forward from FTBs and not all of it has just been "those guys are stupid." Many blogs on FTBs are heavily moderated, so if you're going to say anything that disagrees with them you would do that here. It's like how some people will mirror Creationists videos because the original videos are censored. By being so adverse to dissent, a place where you would find nothing but dissent is inevitable.

As for the focus of this forum, it's more about the atheist community as a whole. People here are more than willing to criticize the men's right movement (of which many here, including myself, are not members) or even each other. To claim that this site is just about hating FTB is like saying The Soup is just about making fun of a single show.

With all respect to Reap, I am surprised he didn't mention Stef McGraw or Dawkins. In fact, I didn't hear anything about elevatorgate until it became "Dawkins doesn't care about women." Yes, his blog seems more reasonable than the others, but a reasonable friend of an enemy can still be misinformed about you. You should have been more ready to list specifics to common criticisms because that's what Ally was sprouting during the interview.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

OK, now ya'll have completely corrupted me:
evo_con_lrz.jpg
(639.48 KiB) Downloaded 294 times

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:..................................

How many people would, if faced with a suicidal family member, say a child, sibling or partner, just walk away?
And if they don't walk away does that mean they are simply narcissists or co-dependent?

Having said this I recognize that it can end up not being all one sided. BPD relationships can be very destructive for both partners and the long term consequences of living in a situation of constant 'walking on eggshells' should not be underestimated. Breaking this cycle can only be achieved by recognizing the facts of the condition and dealing with them (which, unfortunately, in the majority of cases is going to mean ending the relationship.)
People with issues tend to find each other. The narcissist is attracted by the initial mirroring behaviour and co-dependents are attracted to the dysfunction. Co-dependent people often, usually unconsciously, need someone to 'save'. Part of the recovery process for ex-partners of borderline sufferers often involves recognition of their own issues which drew them into and exacerbated/enabled the dysfunctional relationship.
I don't think that people form relationships with BPDs for different reasons than any other couples form relationships with each other. BPD behavior tends to be cyclical - they are 'normal' for part of the time and it is during that time period that they will begin relationships. Nobody would begin a relationship with a BPD who is in the uncontrolled emotional stage of the condition.
Why might they stay with someone who exhibits the emotional/hateful stage is another question.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

sacha wrote:
often those with body-dysmorphic disorder that manifests as feeling as though they have one limb too many, will deliberately try to injure that limb beyond the point of modern medicine's ability to save it. That is the only way they are able to have it removed.
Does anyone else see a parallel between body-dysmorphic disorder and transgenderism?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

bovarchist wrote:
sacha wrote:
Does anyone else see a parallel between body-dysmorphic disorder and transgenderism?
No.

Trans people usually want to change their bodies to that of the other gender, not simply have parts removed.

cunt

Post by cunt »

As for the focus of this forum, it's more about the atheist community as a whole. People here are more than willing to criticize the men's right movement (of which many here, including myself, are not members) or even each other. To claim that this site is just about hating FTB is like saying The Soup is just about making fun of a single show.
Bullshit. What Ally F said was exactly right. You could take any random 10 pages of this thread and there'd guaranteed be something about FTB in there. That doesn't mean it's the only thing that gets discussed. It's the common theme and fuck me, is it stupid to deny that.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Oh, another point about the podcast: Comparing a scientist with a large following to anonymous youtube trolls is a bullshit thing for Ally to even suggest.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

When the US do it it isn't espionage. Only the bad guys do espionage, the US monitors bad people to protect good people, freedom, liberty, and equality, and to see what the bad people are saying about them

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Hunt wrote:Looks like Fogg is slowly causing a seismic shift in FtB. Now Carrier has suddenly upgraded to being an expert in how to do "Men's Rights" right, though he really doesn't like that word "rights."

http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/4037

Speaking of which the latest Ally Fogg is up:

Fathers 4 Justice:solutions lies in our families, not our family courts
http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... ly-courts/

I linked the following video playlist in the comments. It is a five part documentary:

Bob Geldof on Fathers Rights after separation or divorce:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

cunt wrote:
Bullshit. What Ally F said was exactly right. You could take any random 10 pages of this thread and there'd guaranteed be something about FTB in there. That doesn't mean it's the only thing that gets discussed. It's the common theme and fuck me, is it stupid to deny that.
This site is not about hating FTB.
Highlighting and criticizing the behavior and anti-skeptical approach of a small minority of FTB and other bloggers is probably the theme but that is very different from 'hating FTB'.
There are plenty of FTB bloggers that get either no mention or get occasional praise from us (for example Mano Singham and Maryam Namazie.)
I'll listen to the podcast later before I comment more.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Scented Nectar wrote: Well, I wish you were there at the time. Maybe I wouldn't have been the only one laughing. :lol: I just got weird puzzled looks from them even when explaining "...get it? Deer - antelope?". It wasn't until years later (at that oh so peaceful, polite place known as pharyngula), that I ever heard 'cupcake' used as a name to call someone. I think though, that some of the people calling me 'dear' might have taken cupcake as an affectionate nickname or something, like 'honeybun' or 'sweety pie' or some other dessert food.
It sounds as if you were dealing with the clueless. Actually, to go a step further, people who are the embodiment of the anti-clue. Their bogon field is so strong all clues vanish into the singularity without a sound.

Marvelous.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:In a real death match people are going to be biting and clawing eyes out and not bothering too much about style.
I had a chunk of flesh bitten out of my face once. I did not even feel it at the time either. But yes, that kind of stuff can happen.

Fuck. I keep saying I am done. Whatever man.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
sacha wrote:
No.
Trans people usually want to change their bodies to that of the other gender, not simply have parts removed.
Plus I have not heard of much in terms of self mutilation (actually none) to deal with their problem. They either go through a process for the surgery, or they opt to live with what they have.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Fan-fucking-tastic. No this website is not about hating on FTB and Skepchick at all. No. Nah. *sticks fingers in ears*. Nope. Nah. lalalalalalalalah I can't heea--ar you.

Who the fuck do you think you're kidding. If you can't even get this by me, a regular at the slymepit.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I don't think that people form relationships with BPDs for different reasons than any other couples form relationships with each other. BPD behavior tends to be cyclical - they are 'normal' for part of the time and it is during that time period that they will begin relationships. Nobody would begin a relationship with a BPD who is in the uncontrolled emotional stage of the condition.
Why might they stay with someone who exhibits the emotional/hateful stage is another question.

Because she's LONG cycle up (months and months and months and months at a time) and short-cycle down (a cry-fit or minor fight, BFD) in the first few years of your relationship. Only later does the up get shorter and the down get longer (and more violent). But by then you have kids and need to provide as stable an environment and modeling as you can.

And while one says 'get a divorce and get custody' it took FOUR YEARS (piggy-backing on DCS) to get custody (after we separated) and every judge bent over backward to give her a break. And that includes four different judges (well, three 'referees' and one judge) in Children's Court as the State of Tennessee Department of Children's Services kept taking her back to Court for child abuse.

Now, maybe if I got a fair shake and had some support and resources, I could have. But feminism tells the world that 'it's all male abusers, all female victims' and there is nothing out there for a man. Hell, you're lucky to find a support group that will return your calls, never mind a shelter and support services.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

In response to 16bitheretic (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 40#p107740), and others, who have occasionally, over the last year or so, posted this quote from that pathetic pimple Greg Laden, implying that it is a serious statement:
It is just that I am a very large, muscular man with martial arts training who never goes anywhere without my pit bull, and I always carry a gun. I am also famous for kicking ass, generally.
As much as I detest Laden, and would in no way whatsoever try to defend him for anything, it really, really, must be emphasised that that quote is Laden trying to be humorous and ironic/satirical. He does not own a pitbull, and he most certainly does not carry or own a gun -- he is a ragingly anti-gun kind of a guy, and is multitudinously and loudly on the record as such.

Anyway, we here at the Pit have got to be accurate in our slanders, otherwise we run the risk of just becoming a sort of FfTB part 2.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Sacha said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 47#p107747):
I don't believe you are a lousy lay. prove it
HAHAHAHAHA.