Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
TedDahlberg

Re: Justin Fucks Up in Dublin?

Post by TedDahlberg »

Hunt wrote:I always find it kind of pathetic when other people start arguing with bad reviews, even when they're well founded. A bad review is a bad review, deal with it. What's even more pathetic is when an author starts defending his own work or attacking bad reviews, like on his blog. Myers hasn't stooped to doing this (yet), but it might be just a matter of time. His book is getting hammered on amazon. The good reviews are getting voted down. Even Laden's replies to Loftus are not shown by default. All the crap Myers has slung over the years is coming back to bite him on the ass. Once again we see why it's critical for him to control and censor the medium, as he does on Youtube. Otherwise he gets trashed. The Internet does not like PZ Myers. I almost feel sorry for him. Almost.

(My bold.)

That's quite true, I think that I too would feel sorry for him. If this wasn't a situation entirely of his own making. I don't think he could have burned more bridges if he'd been a member of the Bridgeburners.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Ally Fogg's move to FTB is certainly interesting.
My guess is that they invited him to stir up some drama, and also to try to get some kind of connection to the Guardian, the paper he writes for (Ophelia could always do with a few progressive writing jobs thrown her way, and PeeZus has a copy paste coming out soon)

Fogg himself has some interesting words to say prior to the move:

http://hetpat.wordpress.com/2013/04/29/ ... /#comments
I have some profound disagreements with many of the bloggers and commenters there which could prove, well, interesting to explore, but I also hope I have enough common ground with all of them to do so in a constructive way.
So he didn't walk into it with his eyes closed.
But like many of us have noticed, they are keeping away from him, he's off limits to the FTB attack hounds.
It's not as if he hasn't commited any 'crimes against womanity'.
Look at the following section from the above blog post.

http://i.imgur.com/W7Gvf9r.jpg

Remember, one of the main charges against Ron Lindsay is that he welcomed Justin Vacula to the CFI sponsored conference, therefore inviting in someone who has had dealings with AVFM!
They published one of his posts, for Peezus sake!

Yet there is Ally Fogg, chatting away with one of the figureheads of AVFM, and welcoming him over to comment freely on FTB!

And not a peep from the usual subjects.
:think:

You know, to an unsuspecting reader, it might even appear that their heartfelt convictions can be turned on and off at a moments notice, and directed at those they think they have a chance at controlling.

But that can't be right. :snooty:

Can it? :think:

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Notung wrote:I find Disqus really horrible for large comment threads. Yes, I know my blog uses it. But I don't get large comment threads ;)
You know what really sucks? DMs on Twitter. I have no fucking clue when I get one.
The icon leading to your profile is highlighted in blue, it took me forever to notice this, too (new own tweets seem to do the same, not very clear).

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

More suffering, in the name of bringing enlightenment to the Irish:
Yurrup
Notes and Comment Blog by Ophelia Benson

I’m at Schiphol. I survived! Mind you I expect to get very ill, because the guys on each side of me coughed and sneezed all over me for 10 hours.
I like the airbus though. There’s a nice little passage in the back where if things are quiet you can stand and exercise and stretch. I did that twice.
:roll:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Skep tickle wrote:http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/261927.php

Ran across this while looking something up for work. It reports a study in Nairobi; the particular form of victim-blaming taken in this study was quite effective in reducing rapes of young women (bolding added):
Rape is shockingly common in the slums of Nairobi, Kenya, where as many as one in four adolescent girls are raped each year. But a short self-defense course can dramatically reduce the girls' vulnerability to sexual assault, according to a new study from the Stanford University School of Medicine, Lucile Packard Children's Hospital and an organization called No Means No Worldwide.

"Self-defense training taught these young girls to stand up and say 'no' with confidence, and empowered them to escalate their own defense to a higher level, if necessary," said Neville Golden, MD, senior author of the new study, which is now available online on the Journal of Adolescent Health website. "To our knowledge, this is the first study to demonstrate that a self-empowerment/self-defense course can reduce the incidence of rape in adolescent girls," added Golden, who is a professor of pediatrics at Stanford and the division chief of adolescent medicine at Packard Children's. ...

The subjects of the study were 522 high school girls, ages 14 to 21, in two impoverished Nairobi slums: 402 received 12 hours of self-defense training over six weeks, as well as two-hour refresher courses at three-, six-, nine- and 10-month intervals; 120 in a comparison group received a one-hour life-skills class that is the current national standard in Kenya. Before and 10 months after the training, both groups answered anonymous questionnaires about their recent experiences of rape.

At the start of the study, nearly one in four girls reported that they had been forced them to have sex in the prior year; 90 percent of the victims knew their attackers. The study focused on rape and did not assess the entire range of behaviors classified as sexual assault under U.S. laws.

Among girls who received self-defense training, 56.4 percent used the skills they learned to fend off attackers in the subsequent 10 months. Of these girls, half used verbal skills alone, one-third started with verbal skills and added physical skills, and 17 percent used physical skills alone. Not only did total assaults drop sharply, but assaults by the two most common groups of perpetrators, boyfriends and relatives, decreased significantly. After receiving training, girls who were raped were more likely to seek help following an attack.

In contrast, among girls who had life-skills classes, the proportion who became victims of rape remained about the same.

"We were pretty stunned that the self-defense training was so effective," Sinclair said. "From the testimonials we collected, we saw that even a small girl could disable an attacker and get away, again and again."

The self-defense classes, which trained and employed local Kenyan women as instructors, were also cost-effective: providing the training cost $1.75 per student, whereas immediate after-care for rape in Kenya costs $86, a figure that does not account for long-term costs such as new HIV infections or unwanted pregnancies.
The Kenyans JUST. DON'T. GET. IT.

What a disgusting display of victim-blaming. We need to start a fundraiser so we can send Ceepolk over there to set them straight and inform those girls that they should be able to stagger drunk and naked through the worst neighborhoods in Nairobi without fear.

But let's only raise enough money for a one way ticket. I'm concerned about climate change and all that.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Lsuoma wrote:Don't think the split was perfect. But hey, neither is cunt.
You know you could have just made a new thread. People would have figured it out.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Dick Strawkins wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laden decides to defend Peezus new book by launching an attack on the Amazon review of John Loftus.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30LW6Z14W ... deID=&tag=

Being the model skeptic he is, Laden argues against Loftus description of 'The Happy Atheist' as being a collection of old pharyngula blogposts by using evidence, rationality and wit to make his case that Loftus was completely wrong. poisoning the well in a transparently dishonest and sleazy manner.

:D :D :D :D

Welcome back Greg.
We've missed you. :dance:
I like Amazon a lot, and use it for peoples product reviews, even if I dont ultimately get the product there (NOTE: when I do buy from Amazon, I use the Slyme Pit link! *points down on page*).

Negative reviews are just as helpful as positive, when written properly (Loftus, yes. "THIS SHOE SUX!", no).

The ability of someone to write a negative review is critical, so when someone threatens to blackmail a negative reviewer-- I reported this comment:
One of these days you are going to annoy the people at Freethoughtblogs.com enough that they'll break policy and release the flurry of insane emails you produced at the time you stormed out in a snit that no one understood and that everyone felt badly about. Or have they done that already? I mostly avoid this community for obvious reasons (i.e. because people compete with each other to see how much of a jerk they can be!)
That is unacceptable. The non-bolded part is telling, though. Seems everyone has abandoned Ol Gregg, except for Svan.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tribble wrote: bladibla etc

Those women needed to 'check their privilege' and "shut up and listen" as 'big Sister' knows best.
It is fascinating timing for this proposed legislation to be in the Irish news just as the EWTS2013 conference begins.

For those interested I've collected a few links.

Some detailed discussion about the proposals and who is backing them:

http://www.irishelection.com/2013/06/re ... ohibition/

Some political opposition to the proposals:
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics ... -1.1445601

The main group pushing for the proposals:
http://www.ruhama.ie/

And a piece by none other than Pharyngula's jadehawk on the past of that particular group.

http://jadehawks.wordpress.com/2013/02/ ... laundries/

Ophelia commented on Jadehawks post.
She hates the Magdalene Sisters, so will be very wary of anything they are doing.

But I have a feeling that she supports the swedish model, the proposed anti-prostitution legislation for Ireland.
Taslima Nasreen, another EWTS conference attendee, is definitely a big supporter of that model.
Watson and Peezus are supposed sex positive feminists and therefore should be opposed to it.

Serious point.
Can we get Vacula to pose a question on where the conference stands on this issue? :shifty:

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

While we are at it. Richard Dawkins also wrote a review. But of a DVD writer. Maybe its his way of saying us something. Timing and all (j/k).
http://www.amazon.com/review/RK8LQ93NP1YCI

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote:More suffering, in the name of bringing enlightenment to the Irish:
Yurrup
Notes and Comment Blog by Ophelia Benson

I’m at Schiphol. I survived! Mind you I expect to get very ill, because the guys on each side of me coughed and sneezed all over me for 10 hours.
I like the airbus though. There’s a nice little passage in the back where if things are quiet you can stand and exercise and stretch. I did that twice.
:roll:
The ghost of Joan of Arc must be positively weeping over Ophie's agonies.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Bless the Free Thought missionaries and their efforts to bring the light to the savage Irish.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Hopefully they won't suffer too much at the hands of the Slymepit Inquisition.

http://cdn.trendhunterstatic.com/thumbs ... cross.jpeg

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Now that Greg has taken up his role as guardian of PZ Myers Amazon reviews, can he have his precious FTB blog back?

http://i.imgur.com/NDE7gqR.jpg

"It's all the fault of that nasty Griffithses.."

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Metalogic42 wrote:
Notung wrote:I find Disqus really horrible for large comment threads. Yes, I know my blog uses it. But I don't get large comment threads ;)
You know what really sucks? DMs on Twitter. I have no fucking clue when I get one.
(don't know if this has been answered already so I apologize if it's a repeat)

You should be able to tweak your settings on your Twitter account to alert you by email when you get a DM. As my mother *looooooves* to DM me to death on Twitter, my inbox is littered with Twitter DM notifications.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Hey, how about a notice in the old thread that it's now closed, so I don't sit there like a dummy for a full 24 hours reloading the page and wondering why nobody's posting lately? </getoffmylawn>

Post by guest »

guess who missed the plane and won't be returning to Dublin?

welch

Post by welch »

ERV wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Laden decides to defend Peezus new book by launching an attack on the Amazon review of John Loftus.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R30LW6Z14W ... deID=&tag=

Being the model skeptic he is, Laden argues against Loftus description of 'The Happy Atheist' as being a collection of old pharyngula blogposts by using evidence, rationality and wit to make his case that Loftus was completely wrong. poisoning the well in a transparently dishonest and sleazy manner.

:D :D :D :D

Welcome back Greg.
We've missed you. :dance:
I like Amazon a lot, and use it for peoples product reviews, even if I dont ultimately get the product there (NOTE: when I do buy from Amazon, I use the Slyme Pit link! *points down on page*).

Negative reviews are just as helpful as positive, when written properly (Loftus, yes. "THIS SHOE SUX!", no).

The ability of someone to write a negative review is critical, so when someone threatens to blackmail a negative reviewer-- I reported this comment:
One of these days you are going to annoy the people at Freethoughtblogs.com enough that they'll break policy and release the flurry of insane emails you produced at the time you stormed out in a snit that no one understood and that everyone felt badly about. Or have they done that already? I mostly avoid this community for obvious reasons (i.e. because people compete with each other to see how much of a jerk they can be!)
That is unacceptable. The non-bolded part is telling, though. Seems everyone has abandoned Ol Gregg, except for Svan.
I love Loftus' response: http://www.skepticink.com/debunkingchri ... mpous-ass/

Short and to the point.

codelette

Post by codelette »

16bitheretic wrote:"The harassers of women, the slymepitters, are bad people."

Wasn't this site founded because of two women being harassed by those who now so casually toss around the harassment narrative?

Oh wait, fuck facts and shit, LOL!
Everyday I look in the mirror and start harassing myself. When I'm surfing the crimson tide, I scream to myself to "get of the rag"...I even kiss my own ass...

welch

Post by welch »

Most people don't take the time to set up disqus correctly. You can actually do a lot of things that make threading work rather well, but it does take a bit of experimentation.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

guest wrote:guess who missed the plane and won't be returning to Dublin?

:o

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

The news has just reached the Irish stock market! :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/33wolAm.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

Pitchguest wrote:

Did she actually miss the plane or was it a weather cancellation?

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

I wonder what someone said to her on the airport's escalator.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

welch wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

It was pretty stormy in NYC last night so it's probably a cancellation.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I can't think of any other possible reason why she might have slept in and missed the flight :think:

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

She just found out that New York has Guinness too.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

So Nugent is going to be missing a panelist for the following session:

2.15pm-3.30pm - Session 3 – Separation of Church and State
Ann Brusseel, Annie Laurie Gaylor, Rebecca Watson, Michael Nugent

Does anyone know someone who has experience campaigning for Church State separation issues?
Perhaps someone who is known as an activist against state sponsored prayer.
Maybe even someone who has worked with Annie Laurie Gaylor's group?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

ThreeFlangedJavis wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Wachs wrote:The first people to take notice of my absence were slymepitters. I also learned that, contrary to popular opinion, not all of the slymepitters are scum.
Rome wasn’t built in a day. And one swallow doesn’t make a spring. But if you go around shooting the swallows that do show up, or moving corner stones that have been laid down already, it is only going to delay the process.
Are you suggesting that EBW's conversion came about because of a minor concession of some kind from the enemy? I rather think it was because of the treatment she herself received and I somehow doubt that differing perceptions of a portion of a speech would have been on the radar.
Older post ^^^^, worth commenting on.

Deconversions are generally not sudden reversals after a single incident, and EBW's deconversion is not an exception. She had been showing signs for a long time prior, on many different engagements, not all of them public. Seeds of doubt were *indeed* planted by 'minor concessions of some kind'. Anyone who's been involved in/witnessed a long-term deconversion of a theist should be familiar with the process. It generally takes at least weeks, and usually months, sometimes years. It's a slow, steady process, and 'minor concessions' play an important part in it.

I'm familiar with both deconversions of EBW and julian (aka Julian Francisco), and making 'minor concessions' is something I regularly do during debates/discussions, and I (and others, of course) had done just that with both EBW and julian. Note that by 'minor concessions', I do mean minor. For example, in the case of EllenBeth, it would have been *incredibly easy* to marshal all sorts of attacks against her based on dubious rumours and whatnot. But it was a minor concession (from our point of view; a major relief, from hers) for us not to go down that road. First of all, it would have been unfair and unskeptical (most of the rumours being either completely false or akin to the UpskirtGate rumours), but importantly it would also have driven EBW deep into you-bastards-I'll-never-ever-consider-you-a-possible-friend/ally-ever-how-dare-you-you-stupid-fucks territory. I'm very glad nearly all of us had the sense not to go there. It was, after all, a *minor* concession on our part, but it was a major concern for EllenBeth herself. I hope people don't underestimate the *long-term* effects of this kind of 'give a little, take a little' can have during discussions. Of course, don't 'give a lot', that would be dumb. But there's no need to go 'all out' and 'give nothing, take no prisoners'. In fact it would be counter-productive, IMHO.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Dick Strawkins wrote:So Nugent is going to be missing a panelist for the following session:

Does anyone know someone who has experience campaigning for Church State separation issues?

It would be worth it to read the inevitable shit storm by the usual suspects.

:dance:

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Dick Strawkins wrote:So Nugent is going to be missing a panelist for the following session:

I can't think of *anyone*. Maybe Justin Vacula might know someone there?

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

The news has just reached the Irish stock market! :shock:

http://i.imgur.com/33wolAm.jpg
OMFSM, that is bloody hilarious :lol:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

Due to WEATHER / THUNDERSTORMS, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving John F Kennedy International Airport, New York, NY (JFK). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 51 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
http://www.fly.faa.gov/flyfaa/usmap.jsp

Which means the airlines will scramble, but there will be flights.

I think Team "Really Hung Over" may have something there. It's one thing to be hungover and/or still drunk and pile onto a plane. Me, my sister, some Saudi party guys and a couple chicks did it way back when in the 80s from London to Korfu, including one girl being bagged with a brass one-shot pot stick which was confiscated and she was waved through, but we were younger and it was a simpler time. Now Becca would be looking down the barrel of having her 30-something head jack-hammered during an indeterminate wait, which is no way to spend your quality shoe-barfing time.

Maybe they changed the rules and delay means you are shit out of luck and have to go home.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Seems to me that Becky could have waited for the weather to improve and a flight becomes available. She did have a ticket, after all. But then I don't know the ins and outs of international air travel

JAB

Post by JAB »

She says in that tweet that it's due to weather in nyc.

The obvious joke is to suggest that it's just that she's under the weather after calling up her nyc friends for a party last night.

JV is of course an obvious possible replacement. Maybe they'd cover his hotel fees if he stepped in.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Strange.
It looks like there are still plenty of flights to Dublin.
Attachments
dublin.JPG
(111.75 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Gumby wrote:Seems to me that Becky could have waited for the weather to improve and a flight becomes available. She did have a ticket, after all. But then I don't know the ins and outs of international air travel

It was a dark and stormy night and she was getting hammered in one of the airport bars. She was probably starting seeing double and was feeling the beginnings of a puking session and as the storms didn't seem to be letting up she just said "fuck it" and went the hotel to sleep it off. Sorry Dublin.

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

welch wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

The weather on the east coast was very bad last night. There was a tornado warning for many parts of New Jersey and New York. We had some pretty intense winds and rain. It is not surprising that flights out of JFK might have been cancelled or delayed.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

PZ has it all under control.
He's been to so many conferences with Rebecca that nothing is going to faze him now.
There is a standard procedure they follow when Rebecca is 'under the weather'.

http://i.imgur.com/ixfbPFe.jpg

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

The weather on the east coast was very bad last night. There was a tornado warning for many parts of New Jersey and New York. We had some pretty intense winds and rain. It is not surprising that flights out of JFK might have been cancelled or delayed.
The many many many aircraft that fly over my house were making some unusual turns yesterday. I was thinking it had to do with avoiding t-storm cells.

With that said, R.W. certainly sets herself up for this sort of "too drunk to travel" talk because she's glorifying her "partying". If she were 20 years old it'd be normal...but she's a grown woman so, to me, it comes off as a bit sad. Alcoholism isn't funny.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Strange.
Yes but keep in mind the thinking of a high-level low functioning drunk like Becky. She managed to stay more less straight for her flight, and that flight only. Once that window of opportunity closed it was back to being finger cuffed by Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

Aneris wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
The icon leading to your profile is highlighted in blue, it took me forever to notice this, too (new own tweets seem to do the same, not very clear).
mind=blown.

Metalogic42

Post by Metalogic42 »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Metalogic42 wrote:
(don't know if this has been answered already so I apologize if it's a repeat)

You should be able to tweak your settings on your Twitter account to alert you by email when you get a DM. As my mother *looooooves* to DM me to death on Twitter, my inbox is littered with Twitter DM notifications.
This is my second Twitter account (first was eaten by the block bot), and I made it with an email created only for that purpose. I never check it. :(

Aneris

Rebecca Watson misses the flight

Post by Aneris »

The whole situation surrounding her flight is kind of fishy. Very bad timing and overall —weird. She didn't accept the apology of Ron Lindsay (and didn't offer one of her own), didn't she? And her last episode with Dawkins, not the Twitter backstabbing, but where she denigrated him for the meme thingy was a somewhat extravagant move when you plan to enter europen atheism.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Mykeru wrote:
Yes but keep in mind the thinking of a high-level low functioning drunk like Becky. She managed to stay more less straight for her flight, and that flight only. Once that window of opportunity closed it was back to being finger cuffed by Jack Daniels and Jim Beam.
Probably wouldn't have been let on the plane anyway. If they won't allow an 8oz container of shampoo how likely is it that a 140lb container of flammable spirits is going to be allowed to weave its onto a flight?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Gefan wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Probably wouldn't have been let on the plane anyway. If they won't allow an 8oz container of shampoo how likely is it that a 140lb container of flammable spirits is going to be allowed to weave its onto a flight?
Because everybody knows that those brown Muslim terrorists don't drink alchohol, so a bottle of booze would never be used on terrorism. The logic is flawless.

cunt

Post by cunt »

debaser71 wrote: With that said, R.W. certainly sets herself up for this sort of "too drunk to travel" talk because she's glorifying her "partying". If she were 20 years old it'd be normal...but she's a grown woman so, to me, it comes off as a bit sad. Alcoholism isn't funny.
Yeah right. You're super concerned because she tweeted out an invitation for some NYC people to come "party" at her hotel. Did you know that she had a glass of wine while waiting on the plane too?!!! Shit is that serious.

If you're going to go for the low hanging fruit at least don't try and dress it up as you being a really nice guy.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

I'm sure this has been seen before, but apparently not by Ophie or Peezus:

[youtube]KpUNA2nutbk[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gefan wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Especially when you consider her ravaged intestinal tract's volatile anal leakage.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Mykeru wrote:
Especially when you consider her ravaged intestinal tract's volatile anal leakage.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ori ... -tumbl.jpg

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Rebecca Watson misses the flight

Post by Jan Steen »

Aneris wrote:She didn't accept the apology of Ron Lindsay (and didn't offer one of her own), didn't she?
Yes, she did.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Well the odds that the talk on church/state separation issues will be hijacked by tales of unwelcome advances and people being mean to Twatson just dropped dramatically. Congratulations attendees.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

katamari Damassi wrote:

Well the odds that the talk on church/state separation issues will be hijacked by tales of unwelcome advances and people being mean to Twatson just dropped dramatically. Congratulations attendees.
On the other hand, the bars will definitely be suffering in terms of sales, although elevators should be safer now. We will also be out all the lulz opportunities with her "speaking" engagement and the inevitable shitstorm she would generate. I have to wonder how this will be spun out - without the exposure at the conference, she will get less page views now, so what will the controversy be? Will she start posting about the harassment she got when she canceled?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

This post was made by cunt who is currently on your ignore list
Ah, poetry.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:
Aneris wrote:She didn't accept the apology of Ron Lindsay (and didn't offer one of her own), didn't she?
Yes, she did.
Can you provide a link? I only see Surly Amy and she states:
Amy Roth wrote:I can’t speak for Rebecca or anyone else from this network as to whether or not this is fully acceptable but I can say that I appreciate this gesture.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Badger3k wrote:I have to wonder how this will be spun out - without the exposure at the conference, she will get less page views now, so what will the controversy be? Will she start posting about the harassment she got when she canceled?
That'd be really easy to do. It's just a lot of malicious idle speculation.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Aneris wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Yes, she did.
Can you provide a link? I only see Surly Amy and she states:
Amy Roth wrote:I can’t speak for Rebecca or anyone else from this network as to whether or not this is fully acceptable but I can say that I appreciate this gesture.
http://skepchick.org/2013/06/adequate-v ... apologies/

At your service.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Bhoytony: I happen to live in the transexual-prostitue neighborhood. I don't mind the grabbing that much, only when I'm accompanied by Alicja. ;)
Hey, it's 2013, you don't need to explain your lifestyle to me.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Why does Opheliar think it is acceptable to appropriate another culture's linguistic quirks and treat them as throwaway shortcuts in her own writing?

http://i.imgur.com/lIbFG5q.png
You're just jealous because Ophie is down with then kids on the street.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3194/2986 ... 543fa2.jpg

Dave

Post by Dave »

H. Korban wrote: The weather on the east coast was very bad last night. There was a tornado warning for many parts of New Jersey and New York. We had some pretty intense winds and rain. It is not surprising that flights out of JFK might have been cancelled or delayed.
Weather last night sucked. But IME, airlines are pretty reluctant to cancel transoceanic flights. (1) It fucks up their customer's pretty bad and there arent a lot of alternate options. Its not like a commuter flight from ATL to LGA, miss one, hop on the next 40 minutes later. And (2) the airlines need the equipment where its supposed to be. Again the limited number of routes kind of screws up their options to replace that equipment in their schedules.

I think most likely the flight got delayed and Becky screwed up when she was supposed to get back to the airport. Whether that was due to alcohol or just poor planning, I leave as an exercise for the reader.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

I notice that Carrier has posted a 'War and Peace' length rebuttal to a bad review of his 'Proving History' book.
The review is by Stephanie Fisher and posted on R Joseph Hoffmann's site.

R Joseph Hoffmann is, unfortunately, one of the few people living who could make Richard deliberate-tour-de-force Carrier seem humble.
If you open the Merriam Webster dictionary on the page for pompous asshole you'll just find a picture of R Joseph Hoffmann.
He's got the sort of personality that would induce Desmond Tutu to deploy a swift kick to the testicles rather than endure more than a minute of Hoffmann's sanctimonious condescension.
And Stephanie Fisher is one of Hofmanns idiotic sycophants (are all annoying sycophantic sidekicks named stephanie?)
Basically all Carrier needs do is give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.
But instead we get 'War and Peace', and Carrier stupidly calling Hoffmann 'insane'.

Feel the love...
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/3951