Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Re: Justin Fucks Up in Dublin?

Post by Lsuoma »

Me Me Me!

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:@John Greg

It's the price of the freedom you get with the pit, old son. Have to take the rough with the smooth. That said, the rough is pretty easily ignored when it's so easy to envision Cunt and Welch as chubby men.
How many times do I have to call my self a fat old bastard before people believe me. Do I HAVE to show you my ass again?

welch

Post by welch »

Mykeru wrote:THIS IS WHY PEOPLE HATE I.T. GUYS.

/that is all

Why else do you think people BECOME I.T. Guys?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Lsuoma wrote:
another lurker wrote:Or might it be possible that, if someone is *really* ignorant about IT, that 'hosting problem' and 'routing problem' essentially mean the same thing?

So JG might not have necessarily meant 'it HAS to be a HOSTING problem', he may have just meant, 'yo, it can't be me, plenty of other people have the same problem, maybe it's the hosting (with routing being implied, due to his ignorance of the subject).

That's just my charitable reading of the whole thing :P
You'll never get anywhere at the pit with an attitude like that!

Stop it Lsuoma, or you'll get banished to a Jesse Powell TWRA thread!!!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:

/that is all
[youtube]2Z8pgV74_Hw[/youtube]
1) Martin Freeman!

2) Noob. Everyone knows you install that shit remotely.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Cheater. You have inside information.

KenD

Post by KenD »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Dave wrote:No one doubts the existence of idiots. The extent of their influence is very much in doubt.
I have not seen much in the way of argument for the proposition that the influence/power/control of the RadFems/Feminists is over rated but here is a good one I think:
Conspiracy theories where feminists control society are obviously pretty daft, but that doesn't mean that they don't dominate certain debates, or have a track record of successfully lobbying on particular issues. For example, the European Women's Lobby have links to major political parties and have influenced legislation in place in many European countries. Going to the other extreme, dismissing them as a lunatic fringe of idiots without any real power at all, is as ridiculous as thinking they rule the world.

Pretty much all of the recent censorship and sex industry criminalisation campaigns in Europe have been driven by feminists. Look at the government reports and consultations that form the basis of authoritarian new legislation and you'll find that they're packed full of feminist dogma. While the £millions in funding feminist large groups receive may be nothing compared with the resources available to major companies, it's a lot more than any anti-censorship and sex worker rights organisations could hope for.

European feminist activists have certainly proven more successful than the religious conservatives who share their goals. In fact those religious groups tend to leave out the God crap and use feminist theory based arguments these days. With all of them quoting feminists like Melissa Farley, Gail Dines and Sheila Jeffreys in their arguments, you sometimes have to do a bit of digging to separate out of the Catholic nuns from the radical feminists. It's a clear sign of which ideology now has the most ability to sway opinion in this part of the world.

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:Or might it be possible that, if someone is *really* ignorant about IT, that 'hosting problem' and 'routing problem' essentially mean the same thing?

So JG might not have necessarily meant 'it HAS to be a HOSTING problem', he may have just meant, 'yo, it can't be me, plenty of other people have the same problem, maybe it's the hosting (with routing being implied, due to his ignorance of the subject).

That's just my charitable reading of the whole thing :P
Actually, until he decided to get all "no, it CANNOT be a problem on my end" in his first reply to Angry, I was kind of ignoring it, because yes, if you don't know the difference, all you do know is "shit don't work right".

But, since he decided that oh no, it was simply UNPOSSIBLE that the problem was anything but what he'd said it was, well okay, I can play that game,and it's one I play pretty well. Maybe when someone points out that one is making an assumption from ignorance, and one knows one is in fact ignorant, one shouldn't get so fucking snippy about it.

However, this is why I tell people never become a sysadmin. Because there is simply no way you can ever not lose by being right.

also, you run into this:

[youtube]JmjzLm96vXo[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
Cheater. You have inside information.
I went off the same information as everyone else.

But since you're the first to call me a cheating bastard, you can choose my next avatar.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Jan Steen wrote:Classical cult behaviour here:

http://i.imgur.com/6wFF3e1.jpg

What a creep. This is the kind of emotional blackmail that would not be out of place in Scientology. You know you are on the wrong side if you have maggots like Improbable Joe on yours.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wwjtd/2013 ... are-jerks/

What is it with the "allies" crap. An alliance, to me, implies that I defend you regardless if I have any of my own interest or whether or not I think you're full of shit, and in return you'll do the same for me. Fuck that. If you're full of shit you'll get no help from me (at best) and if I'm full of shit I expect to be called out on it by any of you. This isn't life and death stuff, this is argument and discussion. The whole concept of allies in a debate is anathema, or should be.

I've been assuming this would be a common position here, but maybe those that shun us don't believe in it and think we're allies or some shit like that. It likely would have been more obvious to them if they visited here and joined in. We could have debates thacmight be more interesting that whether or not you can drive a nail with a screwdriver, or if a remote problem includes routing problem or if that just means server problem.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lsuoma wrote: I went off the same information as everyone else.

But since you're the first to call me a cheating bastard, you can choose my next avatar.
I'll have to give that some thought. I'll get back to you on that...

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

100,000 fucking gone, fuck you, you have taken my purpose from me, and now my life is empty, that's it i'm fucking gone. Obviously rigged.

welch

Post by welch »

For Renee, Lsuoma, and anyone else in the industry:

[youtube]x1TsOHyJPpw[/youtube]

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Before i go:

You all better fucking miss me. You yook my reason for living, the least you can do is soothe my suffering soul.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

cunt wrote:This really is pathetic. A bunch of people who know and like each other are planning to meet in a hotel bar. Fucking lmao at that.
Or tweeting on their flight and that they arrived. I mean who uses social media for that? We know that Twitter and other media channels are reserved for only the most important things, like sharing the picture of one's meals. I also actually think that PZ Myers looks like a likeable person. And he probably is. That doesn't make the hypocrisy and the million levels on which the horde attitudes are wrong going away, but fair's fair.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

welch wrote:For Renee, Lsuoma, and anyone else in the industry:

[yootube]x1TsOHyJPpw[/yootube]
Depressingly, not too much of an exaggeration.

Once in a while I get the urge to get back in the programming game. The requirements I see for even junior programmers are fucking ridiculous.

In my last programming gig, they needed a C++ programmer. I know C++. They hired me. I programmed in C++. End of story.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Affirm me bitches! It hurts.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Aneris wrote:
cunt wrote:This really is pathetic. A bunch of people who know and like each other are planning to meet in a hotel bar. Fucking lmao at that.
Or tweeting on their flight and that they arrived. I mean who uses social media for that? We know that Twitter and other media channels are reserved for only the most important things, like sharing the picture of one's meals. I also actually think that PZ Myers looks like a likeable person. And he probably is. That doesn't make the hypocrisy and the million levels on which the horde attitudes are wrong going away, but fair's fair.
It's more that it looks like the most interesting thing PZ can think of doing in a foreign country is to find an irish pub and gather around him all the folks he saw at the last convention 3 weeks ago. Like there aren't irish pubs everywhere. It's like a North American going to France and eating at the McDonalds.

welch

Post by welch »

Gumby wrote:
welch wrote:For Renee, Lsuoma, and anyone else in the industry:

[yootube]x1TsOHyJPpw[/yootube]
Depressingly, not too much of an exaggeration.

Once in a while I get the urge to get back in the programming game. The requirements I see for even junior programmers are fucking ridiculous.

In my last programming gig, they needed a C++ programmer. I know C++. They hired me. I programmed in C++. End of story.
I remember when Java was first released. Before it was available in the wild for a *year*, we saw ads wanting people with 5 & 10 years of Java experience.

welch

Post by welch »

JAB wrote:
Aneris wrote:
It's more that it looks like the most interesting thing PZ can think of doing in a foreign country is to find an irish pub and gather around him all the folks he saw at the last convention 3 weeks ago. Like there aren't irish pubs everywhere. It's like a North American going to France and eating at the McDonalds.
Meh. The first thing I do at Macworld is find out where my friends are. Usually, it's at an Irish pub, or the restaurant in the Marriot on 4th st. It's what people do when they travel to the same place. These are people I see in person once, maybe twice a year, so yeah, I go to the same place every year to see them. I can't see why PZ would be any different in that respect.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Lsuoma wrote:
46, XX wrote:Has Rebecca ever apologized for anything in the manner she expects others to apologize to her? It would have been nice if she could have used her own example of a decent apology, but --although they are big on demanding apologies of others, the watson-myers crowd are very poor at illustrating the behavior they demand others show to them.
People really need to stop worrying about the blue-haired blob - she's becoming less and less relevant.

In two years only creepy stalkers will be interested in her.

As far as the slowness goes, I have a ticket open with the hosting company.
I'm in the antipodes and it always runs fine. Could the server be overloaded during the US peak periods

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Aneris wrote:
And then even when you post a picture of your breakfast it's bitch, bitch bitch about how you burned the bagel and they would never use Dubliner in an omelette.

You know, even with Cunt posting in the depth of my ignore list, you can just tell it's his same old sub-text: The sloppy, sloshy desire to lick the Metamucil crust from my puckered poo-hole.
Za-zen wrote:Affirm me bitches! It hurts.
And you are?

cunt

Post by cunt »

JAB wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Yeah Irish pubs are everywhere in Ireland. For the tourists. It makes me sick.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Mykeru wrote:You know, even with Cunt posting in the depth of my ignore list, you can just tell it's his same old sub-text: The sloppy, sloshy desire to lick the Metamucil crust from my puckered poo-hole.
Does anyone actually know what this stupid old fucking scumbag is talking about? You just know he's just clicking all of the "display this post" links to see how much of a shit I give about his ignore list. It's none. Actually ignore me and i'll actually ignore you shit-for-brains.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Wonderist wrote:JT seems to be starting to see through the cracks a wee bit. Soon to be witch of the week.
A few days ago on the Thinking Atheist JT came across as a thoughtful and decent guy. But his comments about the Slympit and how lovely Zvan was did tell me he had fallen under the same trap of not grasping some use any excuse to shut down dissent, including crocodile tears. They use all the usual tropes of 'Shut up and Listen' and 'Ban, Ban Ban' . I do not want him to change his mind but I do find it amazing that so many intelligent people consistently fail to grasp that things are always more nuanced than they want them to be.

Post Modernist thinking is a perfect foil for narcissists to get their kicks. The genuine people, like most of humanity, who have genuine empathy often fail to spot that. Zvan is a prime example of someone you need to be careful of as she will bury you no matter how good her relationship was with you. She is nasty, vindictive and an attention seeker who puts up a smoke screen of diversion and lies to get what she wants. What she wants is adulation and approval. Her biggest weakness is her arrogance and obvious belief people will not catch her out as she's 'too smart'. That is the only way she is being caught out with the deluded as, I am afraid, JT is when it comes to her.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

JAB wrote:
Aneris wrote:
That's too judgemental for me. Once you go that route, you're prescribing what people "ought" to do and it's an attitude that doesn't work for me. If he wanted to, he could sit in the park and stare at the moon. I don't see why I have to have an opinion about it, either way. I simply don't care in a "positive" sense.

You also got it backwards. It's like going to the USA and eating a hamburger there, or going to Italy and having a pizza, which rather sounds like a awesome idea. What's wrong with going into an irish pub in Ireland? You don't have to fetishize authenticity, I just don't see what's wrong with it. And then provided you stepped out of a plane and you are anyway somewhat wasted. You just want to have something cold and chill down a bit, and not go for the full cultural schedule.

I also don't why it would be other people's business what I, for example, eat in some other country. I am very picky with food. Can't help myself. I am happy to see their ruins or other aspects of culture. I don't need to eat locusts or sheep intestines or whatever it is they eat in some other country.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

cunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: Interesting that you would assume that I meant a better counter argument, when I was thinking the exact opposite. Now, was it the way I stated it, or was it your bias at work?

By the way, the nature of the beast is that we are in the end, discusing a subject that is open to interpenetration. Last time I checked there was nor ruler I could use and say influence of X = 13.876 fluevogs and so on.
Well then the problem is either that you don't read or can't articulate your thoughts. You haven't actually made a counter-argument, here anyway, nor have you linked to anywhere that your shining brilliance appears. Your counter-argument, at the moment, is in stealth mode.
There is no problem from my end. Do pay attention.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Wonderist wrote:JT seems to be starting to see through the cracks a wee bit. Soon to be witch of the week.
A few days ago on the Thinking Atheist JT came across as a thoughtful and decent guy. But his comments about the Slympit and how lovely Zvan was did tell me he had fallen under the same trap of not grasping some use any excuse to shut down dissent, including crocodile tears. They use all the usual tropes of 'Shut up and Listen' and 'Ban, Ban Ban' . I do not want him to change his mind but I do find it amazing that so many intelligent people consistently fail to grasp that things are always more nuanced than they want them to be.

Post Modernist thinking is a perfect foil for narcissists to get their kicks. The genuine people, like most of humanity, who have genuine empathy often fail to spot that. Zvan is a prime example of someone you need to be careful of as she will bury you no matter how good her relationship was with you. She is nasty, vindictive and an attention seeker who puts up a smoke screen of diversion and lies to get what she wants. What she wants is adulation and approval. Her biggest weakness is her arrogance and obvious belief people will not catch her out as she's 'too smart'. That is the only way she is being caught out with the deluded as, I am afraid, JT is when it comes to her.
But you know, she's right, to an extent. We can catch her out, but the sycophants will keep lining up. It's not that people like JT don't get what kind of person she is. Even though it's illusory, these people have placed themselves in a position of perceived power in the atheist and skeptical community even though they really do neither. They have Freethought Blogs and scumbags at American Atheists will such up to them.

I used to think it was out of cowardice, that some people were so terrified of being thought of as "anti-women" or whatever, that they were cowering.

At this point, I think it's people trying to catch the random bit of kibble that falls off the gravy train. When I'm in a really uncharitable mood, I think people know exactly what kind of bullies they are and just want to get in on the action.

Also, say what you will about what a mean-spirited, dishonest twat-wad Zvan is, at least she isn't posting trite, drunk "mommy-didn't-love-me" vacuous crap like Cunt. At least she kind of has an ethos. Well, perhaps just more of one.

http://www.ateabutnoe.com/uploaded_imag ... 781317.jpg

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Gumby wrote:Seems to me that Becky could have waited for the weather to improve and a flight becomes available. She did have a ticket, after all. But then I don't know the ins and outs of international air travel
I read the other day that if it is something outside the airline control (such as the weather) they have no obligation to fly you. They do have an obligation to look after you if your stuck as you are their responsibility, which is probably why she is in a hotel. However they also have a habit of sticking you at the end of a queue so the odds of her getting a flight are remote if that is the case. Anyway it's what I read so it may be wrong or different in the US.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

welch wrote:

/that is all

I thought it was to punish the jocks for picking them after the fat kid...

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

welch wrote:

/that is all

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I love the part about the professional outrage crowd:

[youtube]_BevNkLH-q8[/youtube]

The whole process is so FTB.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

JAB wrote:

What a creep. This is the kind of emotional blackmail that would not be out of place in Scientology. You know you are on the wrong side if you have maggots like Improbable Joe on yours.

What is it with the "allies" crap. An alliance, to me, implies that I defend you regardless if I have any of my own interest or whether or not I think you're full of shit, and in return you'll do the same for me. Fuck that. If you're full of shit you'll get no help from me (at best) and if I'm full of shit I expect to be called out on it by any of you. This isn't life and death stuff, this is argument and discussion. The whole concept of allies in a debate is anathema, or should be.

I've been assuming this would be a common position here, but maybe those that shun us don't believe in it and think we're allies or some shit like that. It likely would have been more obvious to them if they visited here and joined in. We could have debates thacmight be more interesting that whether or not you can drive a nail with a screwdriver, or if a remote problem includes routing problem or if that just means server problem.
SJ warriors like Improbable Joe, Steffy Zvan, PZ Myers, etc, think in groups. They are collectivists. That’s why they are fine with insulting and humiliating individual people whom they disagree with, but react with outrage to gendered slurs, ableism, etc. The individual is nothing, the underprivileged group is everything.

For a collective to be stable the members must be allies. People become allies more readily when there is a common enemy. Clearly, the Slymepit is the common enemy of the FTB/Skepchick collective.

Collectives become cults when they start behaving irrationally. Attributing patently invented stuff to your enemy and then believing it is true is irrational. But this is exactly what the FTB/Skepchick ‘leaders’ and their dupes do*. Ergo, the FTB/Skepchick collective is a cult.**

*One of the most frequently recurrent canards is the belief that folk at the Slymepit issue rape and death threats. Also: that we photoshop the dear leaders into pornography, that we hate women, that we oppose diversity, that our mocking and criticising them equals harassment, that most of us are MRAs, that we are almost all Libertarians, that we are right wingers, etc., etc. All blatant lies that serve to forge alliances within the FTB/Skepchick collective.

** I realise that not all FTB bloggers are part of it. Maybe we should refer to the cultist subgroup as FTB*.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Mykeru wrote:
Also, say what you will about what a mean-spirited, dishonest twat-wad Zvan is, at least she isn't posting trite, drunk "mommy-didn't-love-me" vacuous crap like Cunt. At least she kind of has an ethos. Well, perhaps just more of one.

[img]http://www.ateabutnoe.com/uploaded_imag ... k-7813.jpg[/mg]
Ahahahaha.

[youtube]3xHttYIwocY[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Vacula meets Carlos Diaz of atheist alliance international, in Dublin.

Somewhere (probably Liverpool), at this very moment, there's a sad mother, wondering whatever happened to the twins she gave up for adoption all those years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/FKT03mn.jpg
Uncanny!

:mrgreen: Poor Mr. Diaz - Ophelia will probably look stricken and scuttle away every time he approaches her, and he'll likely have no idea why.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tribble wrote:
welch wrote:

/that is all

I think this pretty much sums up the day-to-day usefulness of most network guys.

[youtube]Djc8FPHs45o[/youtube]

Also, I really shouldn't be so hard on Cunt. After all, I remember when I had my first Shandy.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Aneris wrote:
JAB wrote:
Aneris wrote: Or tweeting on their flight and that they arrived. I mean who uses social media for that? We know that Twitter and other media channels are reserved for only the most important things, like sharing the picture of one's meals. I also actually think that PZ Myers looks like a likeable person. And he probably is. That doesn't make the hypocrisy and the million levels on which the horde attitudes are wrong going away, but fair's fair.
That's too judgemental for me. Once you go that route, you're prescribing what people "ought" to do and it's an attitude that doesn't work for me. If he wanted to, he could sit in the park and stare at the moon. I don't see why I have to have an opinion about it, either way. I simply don't care in a "positive" sense.
Fair enough... I try not to be judgmental but sometimes I fail.

But judging their tweeting habits is ok?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

JAB wrote: It's more that it looks like the most interesting thing PZ can think of doing in a foreign country is to find an irish pub and gather around him all the folks he saw at the last convention 3 weeks ago. Like there aren't irish pubs everywhere. It's like a North American going to France and eating at the McDonalds.
Sounds as if they're at the hotel bar, which seems even more boring. This time of year in Northern Europe, I'd want to be outdoors, especially after being on a plane for hours. I'm no Rick Stevesesque world traveler, mind you, but I think it's possible to be a) outdoors, b) at a pub, and c) socializing with friends, all at the same time, in Ireland. It's not as if they're stuck in some soulless 'burb near Dulles Airport, or in a blazing 102F fucking hellhole (like I am at the moment, and, apparently, for the next 4 months).

cunt

Post by cunt »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Actually you have multiple problems at your end. Only some of which aren't your fault.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Mykeru wrote:
And then even when you post a picture of your breakfast it's bitch, bitch bitch about how you burned the bagel and they would never use Dubliner in an omelette.
Ha

Also this site's been agonizingly slow for me as well. In a consistently random sort of way.

That slowness extended into other sites yesterday though, and on into my game, which was not playable. Spent some time on the phone with an ISP tech and we did this and that, cycled the modem and the router a few times, my speed test was good. I have more network connections than he liked, but the security software I've tried hasn't found anything malicious. Earlier today before I slept the slowness was localized to the 'pit. Since I woke about an hour or so ago, the few times I've loaded a page it seemed to be its normal fastass self.

Anyway. Did Justin get on the panel to replace Rebecca yet?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

BarnOwl wrote:
JAB wrote: It's more that it looks like the most interesting thing PZ can think of doing in a foreign country is to find an irish pub and gather around him all the folks he saw at the last convention 3 weeks ago. Like there aren't irish pubs everywhere. It's like a North American going to France and eating at the McDonalds.
Sounds as if they're at the hotel bar, which seems even more boring. This time of year in Northern Europe, I'd want to be outdoors, especially after being on a plane for hours. I'm no Rick Stevesesque world traveler, mind you, but I think it's possible to be a) outdoors, b) at a pub, and c) socializing with friends, all at the same time, in Ireland. It's not as if they're stuck in some soulless 'burb near Dulles Airport, or in a blazing 102F fucking hellhole (like I am at the moment, and, apparently, for the next 4 months).
FTB Rule #1: You never leave the bubble.

Also, I think the user name "Cunt" is sort of a misnomer. He should change it to "Cloaca", because mostly what comes out of him is watery shit.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Dave2 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Feel the love...
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/3951
Has Carrier been working on this reply for the last 13 months?
Aside from the 'insane' bit (haven't read it yet, btw), there is a rather simple answer for why Carrier would write a lengthy response to Hoffman and Stephanie F. Basically, they are relatively mainstream scholars, and for Carrier to be taken seriously by *other* even-more-mainstream scholars, Carrier needs to take all critiques of relatively mainstream scholars seriously and treat them as genuine rather than the hit-pieces they tend to be. So, Carrier is looking out for his long term credibility in his field, IMO. I'll have to check out the 'insane' thing, though. I'm guessing it is couched not so blatantly as Strawkins is making out. Either that, or Carrier's gone further off the deep end than before. Despite his A+ craziness, I'm *still* inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt in the Jesus Historicity/Mythicism debate, pending stronger evidence than just a single sans-context quote of one word 'insane' against Hoffman.

Hoffman ironically does seem rather insane in regards to his bizarre behaviour around the historicity issue. RJH was, after all, one of the main forces behind the now-defunct Jesus Project, and himself had at one time defended mythicism (or at least something close to it). But since the Jesus Project fell through, Hoffman made a stark about-face and became a raving anti-mythicist. The parallels between Hoffman's bizarre turn regarding mythicism and Carrier's bizarre turn regarding atheism+ are rather uncanny, actually.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Mykeru wrote:
bovarchist wrote:Seems to me Beccers must be feeling a widdle unappreciated lately.
Hey, it's not easy waking ass-end up on a chair, having to reach into your own mouth and scoop out a plug of nearly aspirated vomit, somehow get to your feel, pull worn-for-three days granny panties out of the crack of your spotty, flaccid ass and duck-walk to the fridge for a beer or, ideally, some wine because you passed out before you could polish it off and get that into your maw before the little bouncy DT critters get to you, shotgun it and it's brother for breakfast and then plop yourself down in front of the computer, just like yesterday, to rule an empire of fucking morons.
I think what I like most with the Pit is the classiness. Being back from the pub after a great theatric night, I would be dismayed if I didn't get my nice slice of Pit before calling it a night.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

JAB wrote:

Gooood point. Along the same sort of line as "my country (or alliance), right or wrong" - which causes no end of problems. Reminds me of an aphorism of sorts: "Truth is the only friend we have that will go to the wall with us." That can be rather cold comfort in more ways than one, but I've always thought it had some merit.

But maybe something I'll point out to IJ and company ...

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: I think what I like most with the Pit is the classiness. Being back from the pub after a great theatric night, I would be dismayed if I didn't get my nice slice of Pit before calling it a night.
Fortunately, we have those holding us to their exacting standard.
CUNTANI2.gif
(200.75 KiB) Downloaded 154 times

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Dave2 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Feel the love...
Has Carrier been working on this reply for the last 13 months?
I think he has!
He HATES Hoffmann and wouldn't let a slight like this go unanswered but clearly his leadership of the Aplus intellectual artillery brigade has delayed him from completing the final 27 chapters of his review rebuttal.
He's also been working on the follow-up book to his last book, which will be his positive arguments pro mythicism, so he's already been digging up lots of research for that purpose on its own. Plus, I imagine despite Stephanie F's whackaloon tendencies and the weakness of her critique, she's probably *still* the strongest critical response Carrier's gotten from relatively mainstream scholars, so it seems to me to make sense that he would be using her (and others') critique as a kind of reference template to help make sure he's got all his bases covered in his upcoming book. So, with that process in mind, it makes sense to me that he would have put off publishing a counter-critique until he'd basically nearly finished his book and had *all* his arguments hashed out already. Again, I haven't read his post yet, so I'm speculating a bit (okay, a lot), so take this with a grain of salt.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Mykeru wrote: But you know, she's right, to an extent. We can catch her out, but the sycophants will keep lining up. It's not that people like JT don't get what kind of person she is. Even though it's illusory, these people have placed themselves in a position of perceived power in the atheist and skeptical community even though they really do neither. They have Freethought Blogs and scumbags at American Atheists will such up to them.

I used to think it was out of cowardice, that some people were so terrified of being thought of as "anti-women" or whatever, that they were cowering.

At this point, I think it's people trying to catch the random bit of kibble that falls off the gravy train. When I'm in a really uncharitable mood, I think people know exactly what kind of bullies they are and just want to get in on the action.

http://www.ateabutnoe.com/uploaded_imag ... 781317.jpg
Also, when I see some of the posts by people they bully I wonder if there is not a bit of Dom/sub thing going on. The things said to the 'subs would have got me running a mile long ago but they seem to enjoy the abuse. JT was being apologetic while receiving clear abuse. How the hell does that work? Zvan smells this reaction and exploits as much as she can. The rest of us sit back and think 'What the hell is going on here why doesn't he tell her to piss off?'

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Thanks to Phil, I just noticed this comment of Mykeru's:
Mykeru wrote:Hey, it's not easy waking ass-end up on a chair, having to reach into your own mouth and scoop out a plug of nearly aspirated vomit, somehow get to your feel, pull worn-for-three days granny panties out of the crack of your spotty, flaccid ass and duck-walk to the fridge for a beer or, ideally, some wine because you passed out before you could polish it off and get that into your maw before the little bouncy DT critters get to you, shotgun it and it's brother for breakfast and then plop yourself down in front of the computer, just like yesterday, to rule an empire of fucking morons.
You're talking about Lsuoma, right?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Butterflies and Wheels, July 1st 2013:

Sigh. I thought that by flying over six thousand miles I might be able to escape the harassment and persecution. Sadly: not.

Firstly, the flight. As I sat picking nuggets of granola from between my teeth, an airline employee had the temerity to inform me that the person in front had requested that I not flick them into her (hmmph. Gender traitor) hair. Later, as I was trying to work out the kinks in my muscles by touching my toes in the space between a toilet door and the bulkhead, the very same employee told me quite sternly to return to my seat as we were thirty seconds from touchdown. Also, to put my pants back on.

But the conference itself was a nightmare of Meyersian proportions (I jest, PZ, I jest!). My transcontinental and transoceanic adventure, supposed to guarantee me some much-needed freedom from my enemies, had instead landed me directly within their lair. Everywhere I turned, I could see him: J----n V----a. One time, I swear, I saw him approach across the room, waving at me as though he wished to engage in some of his trademarked harassment. I turned and ran around the corner, only to find myself face to face with him yet again! Only this time, instead of running at me, he squeaked "OhmygodImsosorryIhavetriedtoavoidthis" and ran away. Most puzzling.

And one last thing: I did at one point see my evil shadow upon the stage, addressing attendees without a care in the world. Rest assured I will be writing further about the conference giving this respect to such a degenerate stalker. But the queerest thing was that - obviously in an attempt to escape detection - the vile piece of human filth had taken to putting on a South American accent.

Sigh.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

cunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
Actually you have multiple problems at your end. Only some of which aren't your fault.
OK let us start over then:

viewtopic.php?p=104671#p104671
I have not seen much in the way of argument for the proposition that the influence/power/control of the RadFems/Feminists is over rated but here is a good one I think:

<argument snipped>

Of course I am always interested in a better argument than the one above, so if you have one I would like to see it.
I thought I was expressing an appreciation for a good argument but your response indicated to me that you had viewed it in an entirely different light than my intention ...

Oh hang on. You were taking the piss?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Also, when I see some of the posts by people they bully I wonder if there is not a bit of Dom/sub thing going on. The things said to the 'subs would have got me running a mile long ago but they seem to enjoy the abuse. JT was being apologetic while receiving clear abuse. How the hell does that work? Zvan smells this reaction and exploits as much as she can. The rest of us sit back and think 'What the hell is going on here why doesn't he tell her to piss off?'
I think the sort of people they attract is basically like cold-calling telemarketing. You aren't going to convince anyone, what you do is run the numbers to find that 1/100 who are dumb enough to buy your bullshit.

We ask "how are they buying it?" I don't know, as you said, might just be a predisposition.
Gumby wrote:Thanks to Phil, I just noticed this comment of Mykeru's:
Mykeru wrote:Hey, it's not easy waking ass-end up on a chair, having to reach into your own mouth and scoop out a plug of nearly aspirated vomit, somehow get to your feel, pull worn-for-three days granny panties out of the crack of your spotty, flaccid ass and duck-walk to the fridge for a beer or, ideally, some wine because you passed out before you could polish it off and get that into your maw before the little bouncy DT critters get to you, shotgun it and it's brother for breakfast and then plop yourself down in front of the computer, just like yesterday, to rule an empire of fucking morons.
You're talking about Lsuoma, right?
No, Lsuoma's morning often consists of waking up, stepping on a piece of tape carelessly left on the floor, then spending most of the day shaking that foot while walking in circles.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

welch wrote:
Write a 24-point epistle. Barring actual evidence to the contrary, and based on the evidence I've both collected and seen, I'm pretty fucking comfortable in saying you were wrong about it being a server issue, instead of a routing issue.
I once knew where the on/off button was. Since I've switched to external screen/keyboard/mouse, my laptop seems to hate me. It will be back to desktop machine soon enough (I hope lappy doesn't read this).

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Ya'll hate IT Guys? Today I fucking hate "tech" support people. I put tech in quotes because *CLEARLY* the people I've dealt with over the past 2 days haven't a fucking clue what they're doing. I'm pretty convinced that the hour I spent in a live chat yesterday getting 1 small question answered took as long as it did because the "tech" person went to the local fucking bookstore and got "Server Admin For Dummies". My question? "Why is our VPS down?" (we couldn't access the control panel at the time to find out that the server was full)

60 fucking minutes. And that was just to get the answer not the solution. It was another fucking 60 minutes during which time their nifty live chat kept dropping me.

I want so badly to poke "tech" people like that right in the eye with a fork.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Mykeru wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
FTB Rule #1: You never leave the bubble.

Also, I think the user name "Cunt" is sort of a misnomer. He should change it to "Cloaca", because mostly what comes out of him is watery shit.
An animal with a cloaca never knows whether it's coming or going.

Wonderist

Post by Wonderist »

Barael wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:I notice that Carrier has posted a 'War and Peace' length rebuttal to a bad review of his 'Proving History' book.
The review is by Stephanie Fisher and posted on R Joseph Hoffmann's site.

R Joseph Hoffmann is, unfortunately, one of the few people living who could make Richard deliberate-tour-de-force Carrier seem humble.
If you open the Merriam Webster dictionary on the page for pompous asshole you'll just find a picture of R Joseph Hoffmann.
He's got the sort of personality that would induce Desmond Tutu to deploy a swift kick to the testicles rather than endure more than a minute of Hoffmann's sanctimonious condescension.
And Stephanie Fisher is one of Hofmanns idiotic sycophants (are all annoying sycophantic sidekicks named stephanie?)
Basically all Carrier needs do is give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.
But instead we get 'War and Peace', and Carrier stupidly calling Hoffmann 'insane'.

Feel the love...
In this I think Carrier might pretty much be on the spot; the review is kinda dreadful. The money quote:
Bayes theorem was devised to ascertain mathematical probability. It is completely inappropriate for, and unrelated to historical occurrence and therefore irrelevant for application to historical texts.
That's basically the hallmark of scholars who don't (and don't want to) understand Bayes' Theorem because they realize their salary depends on not understanding it.
I'm reminded of how Richard Dawkins spent a relatively large amount of time debunking criticism of his book The Selfish Gene from Mary Midgely (in his '30th Anniversary Edition' of TSG, 2006), even though her critique showed thoroughly that she *did not even understand* Dawkins' arguments in the first place. It's not Mary Midgely herself Dawkins was concerned about; it was all the people who thought her simplistic critique had any merit and who would go on to repeat it ad nauseam. Same with Carrier and Steph F, I'm thinking. (FSM! Not to compare Carrier and Dawkins! lol)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

rayshul wrote:Holy fuck you guys need to chill the fuck out. No one gives a fucking shit.
Approved, tenfolds, at least.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

BarnOwl wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Vacula meets Carlos Diaz of atheist alliance international, in Dublin.

Somewhere (probably Liverpool), at this very moment, there's a sad mother, wondering whatever happened to the twins she gave up for adoption all those years ago.

[bimg]http://i.imgur.com/FKT03mn.jpg[/bimg]
Uncanny!

:mrgreen: Poor Mr. Diaz - Ophelia will probably look stricken and scuttle away every time he approaches her, and he'll likely have no idea why.
http://coolest-homemade-costumes.shippo ... mes-04.jpg

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

Tribble wrote:
welch wrote:

/that is all

When I was in grad school, our department had a very cranky and grumpy IT guy. Rumor was that his brother was a fighter pilot in the air-force.