Shall Mr Vacula Make a Misstep in the Capital of Eire?

Old subthreads
Dave2

Re: Justin Fucks Up in Dublin?

Post by Dave2 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Feel the love...
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/3951
Has Carrier been working on this reply for the last 13 months?

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Badger3k wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
guest wrote:guess who missed the plane and won't be returning to Dublin?

Well the odds that the talk on church/state separation issues will be hijacked by tales of unwelcome advances and people being mean to Twatson just dropped dramatically. Congratulations attendees.
On the other hand, the bars will definitely be suffering in terms of sales, although elevators should be safer now. We will also be out all the lulz opportunities with her "speaking" engagement and the inevitable shitstorm she would generate. I have to wonder how this will be spun out - without the exposure at the conference, she will get less page views now, so what will the controversy be? Will she start posting about the harassment she got when she canceled?
I know this is an odd thing for one non-theist to say to another, but as far as lulz and shitstorms go; have faith. Ophie is still there.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Dave2 wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:Feel the love...
Has Carrier been working on this reply for the last 13 months?
I think he has!
He HATES Hoffmann and wouldn't let a slight like this go unanswered but clearly his leadership of the Aplus intellectual artillery brigade has delayed him from completing the final 27 chapters of his review rebuttal.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Super Slow Slyme

Post by John Greg »

Well, clearly the slowness over the last few days is/was not due to the extra long thread.

Already three times to day I've had to wait over a minute for the page to refresh, or to open the editor.

Lsuoma, any idea what is causing all this slowness? Is it a host server problem? Or is someone actively trying to sabotage the place?

Barael

Post by Barael »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I notice that Carrier has posted a 'War and Peace' length rebuttal to a bad review of his 'Proving History' book.
The review is by Stephanie Fisher and posted on R Joseph Hoffmann's site.

R Joseph Hoffmann is, unfortunately, one of the few people living who could make Richard deliberate-tour-de-force Carrier seem humble.
If you open the Merriam Webster dictionary on the page for pompous asshole you'll just find a picture of R Joseph Hoffmann.
He's got the sort of personality that would induce Desmond Tutu to deploy a swift kick to the testicles rather than endure more than a minute of Hoffmann's sanctimonious condescension.
And Stephanie Fisher is one of Hofmanns idiotic sycophants (are all annoying sycophantic sidekicks named stephanie?)
Basically all Carrier needs do is give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.
But instead we get 'War and Peace', and Carrier stupidly calling Hoffmann 'insane'.

Feel the love...
In this I think Carrier might pretty much be on the spot; the review is kinda dreadful. The money quote:
Bayes theorem was devised to ascertain mathematical probability. It is completely inappropriate for, and unrelated to historical occurrence and therefore irrelevant for application to historical texts.
That's basically the hallmark of scholars who don't (and don't want to) understand Bayes' Theorem because they realize their salary depends on not understanding it.

Barael

Post by Barael »

Or at least the implications. It's not like the theorem itself is rocket science.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Apropos of nothing :whistle: , as a former IT slave, it always amuses me when people assume that any perceived issue with a remote system must be the remote system's fault.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Dave wrote:
H. Korban wrote: The weather on the east coast was very bad last night. There was a tornado warning for many parts of New Jersey and New York. We had some pretty intense winds and rain. It is not surprising that flights out of JFK might have been cancelled or delayed.
Weather last night sucked. But IME, airlines are pretty reluctant to cancel transoceanic flights. (1) It fucks up their customer's pretty bad and there arent a lot of alternate options. Its not like a commuter flight from ATL to LGA, miss one, hop on the next 40 minutes later. And (2) the airlines need the equipment where its supposed to be. Again the limited number of routes kind of screws up their options to replace that equipment in their schedules.

I think most likely the flight got delayed and Becky screwed up when she was supposed to get back to the airport. Whether that was due to alcohol or just poor planning, I leave as an exercise for the reader.

From any of the North Eastern US cities there are plenty of flights to Ireland everyday. She had options, but probably didn't feel like it, after all, she isn't going to be able to write up some stuff on Church-state separation while AT the airport, that was what today was going to be for.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I can't think of any other possible reason why she might have slept in and missed the flight :think:

What is she, an alcoholic? I swear that half of everything out of her mouth seems to be about drinking and partying...

Aneris

I see what you did there, Watson

Post by Aneris »

Jan Steen wrote:[...can you find the link to Watson's acceptance of Ron Lindsay's apology...]

http://skepchick.org/2013/06/adequate-v ... apologies/

At your service.
Thank you :)

When I read this, I had the same feeling I often have when I read Watson or Zvan. I start out with a curious face and as the text progresses the corners of my mouth inexplicably gravitate towards my ears.

In this piece, Rebecca Watson assumes a judge-like position, elevated and distanced as if not involved at all. Apology Idol™ Ron Lindsay submits his effort to that grand jury. Watson in a benevolent and patronizing tone gives "advice" to the candiate on how to improve on apologizing. How nice of her! She chose two examples for contrast that do it better than Ron Lindsay, at least Kickstarter does it clearly better. That way, Ron Lindsay's apology really comes across in a nice way (not). It is also notable what kind of examples she chose. In kickstarter's case someone used their platform to promote very dubious material, in the other, Gabe apparently insulted and directly hurt people. Ron Lindsay is apparently a combination of both ‒ the "rape enabler" bigot allegation shines through very nicely. Chapeau, Rebecca Watson. She tops it off by claiming that actions must follow. Problem though is that Lindsay/CFI already acted on the whole idea by having organized the conference in the first place.

No, she doesn't really accept the apology. It's more like E for Effort for our little Apology Idolâ„¢ candidate Ron Lindsay.

And now I expect some photoshops.

46, XX

Post by 46, XX »

Has Rebecca ever apologized for anything in the manner she expects others to apologize to her? It would have been nice if she could have used her own example of a decent apology, but --although they are big on demanding apologies of others, the watson-myers crowd are very poor at illustrating the behavior they demand others show to them.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Angry_Drunk said:
Apropos of nothing :whistle: , as a former IT slave, it always amuses me when people assume that any perceived issue with a remote system must be the remote system's fault.
On the off-chance that you might be referring to my comment on Super Slow Slyme, I base that statement on the fact that of the 15 or so blogs I visit every day, several of which are the same style of phpBB blog as the Pit, the Pit is the only one, I repeat, the only one that is slow. And this has been the case for the last, I think, four or five days. And I am not the only person to notice this.

So, yes, it could be my system, even my local ISP, but it's not.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Dick Strawkins wrote:I notice that Carrier has posted a 'War and Peace' length rebuttal to a bad review of his 'Proving History' book.

R Joseph Hoffmann is, unfortunately, one of the few people living who could make Richard deliberate-tour-de-force Carrier seem humble.
If you open the Merriam Webster dictionary on the page for pompous asshole you'll just find a picture of R Joseph Hoffmann.
He's got the sort of personality that would induce Desmond Tutu to deploy a swift kick to the testicles rather than endure more than a minute of Hoffmann's sanctimonious condescension.
And Stephanie Fisher is one of Hofmanns idiotic sycophants (are all annoying sycophantic sidekicks named stephanie?)
Basically all Carrier needs do is give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves.
But instead we get 'War and Peace', and Carrier stupidly calling Hoffmann 'insane'.

Feel the love...
The immaturity of the review, with its gratuitous insults and intemperance and slanders and complete failure to actually engage with the book, gave it a low priority for me, since it really just discredits itself to any mature reader. But now I have time to cover it. Even right off the bat, a review written like this demonstrates no sense of irony in its author who opens with the claim that they are the one “drawing attention to [my] unprofessional attitudes and prejudices.” Her absurdly repetitious claims of my alleged incompetence characterize the whole thing, despite my having a Ph.D. in the history of ancient religion and philosophy from a top ranked university, and a published background in mathematical arguments (in peer reviewed journals no less), as well as official training in statistics, calculus and electronics engineering…and despite my book having been formally peer reviewed by a professor of mathematics and a professor of biblical studies. (Note that Fisher, at present, and so far as I can discern, can claim none of these qualifications.)

Carrier is simply Frank Burns.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Mykeru wrote:
The immaturity of the review, with its gratuitous insults and intemperance and slanders and complete failure to actually engage with the book, gave it a low priority for me, since it really just discredits itself to any mature reader. But now I have time to cover it. Even right off the bat, a review written like this demonstrates no sense of irony in its author who opens with the claim that they are the one “drawing attention to [my] unprofessional attitudes and prejudices.” Her absurdly repetitious claims of my alleged incompetence characterize the whole thing, despite my having a Ph.D. in the history of ancient religion and philosophy from a top ranked university, and a published background in mathematical arguments (in peer reviewed journals no less), as well as official training in statistics, calculus and electronics engineering…and despite my book having been formally peer reviewed by a professor of mathematics and a professor of biblical studies. (Note that Fisher, at present, and so far as I can discern, can claim none of these qualifications.)
Carrier is simply Frank Burns.
Also, Courtier's reply innit?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Seems to me Beccers must be feeling a widdle unappreciated lately.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Angry_Drunk wrote:Apropos of nothing :whistle: , as a former IT slave, it always amuses me when people assume that any perceived issue with a remote system must be the remote system's fault.
That's because the CS at the ISPs always lie and blame the computer. It took me nearly two-years to get Comcast to fix their shitty cable and then I moved and spent a year arguing with Charter over their bit-throttling before I went to ATT which, despite all the problems I had with them regarding my business phone listings, have been very good with their high-speed Internet.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

46, XX wrote:Has Rebecca ever apologized for anything in the manner she expects others to apologize to her? It would have been nice if she could have used her own example of a decent apology, but --although they are big on demanding apologies of others, the watson-myers crowd are very poor at illustrating the behavior they demand others show to them.
People really need to stop worrying about the blue-haired blob - she's becoming less and less relevant.

In two years only creepy stalkers will be interested in her.

As far as the slowness goes, I have a ticket open with the hosting company.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

John Greg wrote:Angry_Drunk said:
On the off-chance that you might be referring to my comment on Super Slow Slyme, I base that statement on the fact that of the 15 or so blogs I visit every day, several of which are the same style of phpBB blog as the Pit, the Pit is the only one, I repeat, the only one that is slow. And this has been the case for the last, I think, four or five days. And I am not the only person to notice this.

And yet, on my shitty-ass work PC on our penny-ante network while I am simultaneously transferring gigabytes of data, the 'Pit flies as the veritable wind. So your anecdotal "evidence" can suck a gigantic satchel of cock.

Remick

Post by Remick »

Lsuoma wrote:
46, XX wrote:Has Rebecca ever apologized for anything in the manner she expects others to apologize to her? It would have been nice if she could have used her own example of a decent apology, but --although they are big on demanding apologies of others, the watson-myers crowd are very poor at illustrating the behavior they demand others show to them.
People really need to stop worrying about the blue-haired blob - she's becoming less and less relevant.

So Walter and oolon.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

We were talking about RadFems earlier?
http://www.freezepage.com/1372418260JLZGMTZULI
http://twanzphobic.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... mment-1745
I’m thinking that the ancient female wisdom of poisoning is relevant. The elites require 4,000 remoras (think those tiny fish that groom the sharks) for maintenance. A well-connected caterer needs lots of part-time remoras and who would know if a friend sashayed in with a vial of….please let me know if this violates security speech or if there is a better venue for details.

Dickipedia is an existing wiki site, anonymous and a place where industry based (entertainment predators, banking predators, etc) dick information could be uploaded.
Oh, secretly I was going to abort my second pregnancy if it were a male. Because I was over 40 I was eligible for a chorionic villus sampling early in pregnancy and did so. She was a girl, and had that baby. I understand many sex selections are for males, but not all. I am behind aborting male fetus for as long as it takes. Sorry, but only can speak on that because it was my plan. I know abortion for sex selection is one of the targets for clamp down, and I wonder, is that because more males are aborted in U.S. now? I guess there’s no statistics on that.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Feel the love...
Jesus Christ. Never has tl;dr been more applicable.
I didn't read it, I started skimming after the first butthurt sentence and by the time I'd scrolled to the bottom I'd grown a long white beard.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Yup, was painfully slow for me at work earlier today. Which was just as well I suppose since I had stuff to be getting on with. Seems snappy enough now though.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

John Greg wrote:Well, clearly the slowness over the last few days is/was not due to the extra long thread.

Already three times to day I've had to wait over a minute for the page to refresh, or to open the editor.

Lsuoma, any idea what is causing all this slowness? Is it a host server problem? Or is someone actively trying to sabotage the place?
Same problem here. It's still taking ages to get into the forum or refresh a page.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

The gravy train reaches Dublin.
http://i.imgur.com/KXWcjdJ.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Remick wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:

So Walter and oolon.
Walter's gay, so I doubt he'd stoop that low...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Looks like some intermittent weird internal routing issue at dreamhost. traceroute is showing at least 120 internal hops once I reach their border host.

Dave

Post by Dave »

AndrewV69 wrote:We were talking about RadFems earlier?
You were.
AndrewV69 wrote: http://www.freezepage.com/1372418260JLZGMTZULI
http://twanzphobic.wordpress.com/2011/0 ... mment-1745
I’m thinking that the ancient female wisdom of poisoning is relevant. The elites require 4,000 remoras (think those tiny fish that groom the sharks) for maintenance. A well-connected caterer needs lots of part-time remoras and who would know if a friend sashayed in with a vial of….please let me know if this violates security speech or if there is a better venue for details.

Dickipedia is an existing wiki site, anonymous and a place where industry based (entertainment predators, banking predators, etc) dick information could be uploaded.
Oh, secretly I was going to abort my second pregnancy if it were a male. Because I was over 40 I was eligible for a chorionic villus sampling early in pregnancy and did so. She was a girl, and had that baby. I understand many sex selections are for males, but not all. I am behind aborting male fetus for as long as it takes. Sorry, but only can speak on that because it was my plan. I know abortion for sex selection is one of the targets for clamp down, and I wonder, is that because more males are aborted in U.S. now? I guess there’s no statistics on that.
No one doubts the existence of idiots. The extent of their influence is very much in doubt.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Angry_Drunk wrote:

And yet, on my shitty-ass work PC on our penny-ante network while I am simultaneously transferring gigabytes of data, the 'Pit flies as the veritable wind. So your anecdotal "evidence" can suck a gigantic satchel of cock.
Yet your anecdotal evidence gets a free pass?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:The gravy train reaches Dublin.
I am the barman and I pissed in that drink.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Lsuoma wrote:dreamhost
There's your problem.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

bovarchist wrote:Seems to me Beccers must be feeling a widdle unappreciated lately.
Hey, it's not easy waking ass-end up on a chair, having to reach into your own mouth and scoop out a plug of nearly aspirated vomit, somehow get to your feel, pull worn-for-three days granny panties out of the crack of your spotty, flaccid ass and duck-walk to the fridge for a beer or, ideally, some wine because you passed out before you could polish it off and get that into your maw before the little bouncy DT critters get to you, shotgun it and it's brother for breakfast and then plop yourself down in front of the computer, just like yesterday, to rule an empire of fucking morons.

JAB

Post by JAB »

Angry_Drunk wrote:

It's been very slow for me, too. I didn't blame the long thread though since it was also slow just to get the home page up or the post a reply page up. Long time waiting for a response and slow load. Does the pit get served to different regions on the globe from different servers or something? It seems odd that it isn't slow for everyone. Maybe JG and I are both getting slow response because Steven Harper won't upgrade the equipment that all the traffic into Canada has to go through and get copied etc...

The other oddity lately has been that if I left my Firefox with the pit open and left my computer long enough for it to go to sleep, when I woke the computer up FF was frozen and I'd have to close and open it. And this wouldn't happen if the window was minimized. I was blaming a recent update of firefox, but it seems to only happen with the pit, although that's the only forum I tried it on.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Patton Oswalt on Dublin:

[youtube]xQzu14TKi3k[/youtube]

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
John Greg wrote:

Yet your anecdotal evidence gets a free pass?
No, the point is that anecdotes are essentially worthless. I figured such a great and august gathering of skeptics would have known that.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Lsuoma said:
TedDahlberg said:
Yup, was painfully slow for me at work earlier today.
Tony Parsehole said:
Same problem here. It's still taking ages to get into the forum or refresh a page.
Lsuoma said:
Looks like some intermittent weird internal routing issue at dreamhost. traceroute is showing at least 120 internal hops once I reach their border host.
Angry_Drunk said:
You were saying?

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

This photo is wrong on so many levels.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Angry_Drunk wrote:

MY ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE BEATS YOUR ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE! NEENER NEENER NEENER!

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

John Greg wrote:Lsuoma said:
TedDahlberg said:
Tony Parsehole said:
Lsuoma said:
Angry_Drunk said:
You were saying?
I was saying you fail at the basics of skepticism.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Lsuoma wrote:

So, two years from now, Rebecca will get her own WalterEgo?

:rimshot:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

TedDahlberg said:
Tony Parsehole said:
Lsuoma said:
Angry_Drunk said:
You were saying?
ARGUMENTUM AD POPULUM FALLACY!!! NEENER NEENER NEENER!

OK, shutting up now.

katamari Damassi

Tony Parsehole wrote:
I am the barman and I pissed in that drink.
I never really noticed before his resemblance to a lawn gnome.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Vacula meets Carlos Diaz of atheist alliance international, in Dublin.

Somewhere (probably Liverpool), at this very moment, there's a sad mother, wondering whatever happened to the twins she gave up for adoption all those years ago.

http://i.imgur.com/FKT03mn.jpg

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Hello, caller, what is your problem please?"

Unhappy Customer:

"Well, my system seems quite slow today, and keeps giving me error messages."

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Ya, well, that's just anecdote. Give me specific evidence."

Unhappy Customer:

"Well, the system did such and such and reported such and such an error, but it took 15 minutes."

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Ya, well, that's just anecdote. Give me something concrete, email me a C&P error message."

Unhappy Customer:

"Well, I can't. The system times out whenever I try to send any emails."

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Ya, well, that's just anecdote. Give me something concrete, go online and C&P a screenshot to my I Help Everybody Website."

Unhappy Customer:

"Well, I cant. The system is so slow that whenever I try to go online it tells me that it has timed-out and cannot connect."

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Ya, well, that's just anecdote. So *FLOOSH*, your opinion can be ignored. Next caller...."

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Gumby wrote:
TedDahlberg said:
Tony Parsehole said:
Lsuoma said:
Angry_Drunk said:
You were saying?
ARGUMENTUM AD POPULUM FALLACY!!! NEENER NEENER NEENER!

OK, shutting up now.
I must be exercising my understands-troubleshooting-principles privilege. I suppose I should Shut Up & Listenâ„¢ to those less fortunate than myself.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

John Greg wrote:Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Hello, caller, what is your problem please?"

Unhappy Customer:

"Well, my system seems quite slow today, and keeps giving me error messages."

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Ya, well, that's just anecdote. Give me specific evidence."

Unhappy Customer:

"Well, the system did such and such and reported such and such an error, but it took 15 minutes."

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Ya, well, that's just anecdote. Give me something concrete, email me a C&P error message."

Unhappy Customer:

"Well, I can't. The system times out whenever I try to send any emails."

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Ya, well, that's just anecdote. Give me something concrete, go online and C&P a screenshot to my I Help Everybody Website."

Unhappy Customer:

"Well, I cant. The system is so slow that whenever I try to go online it tells me that it has timed-out and cannot connect."

Angry_Drunk, IT hero:

"Ya, well, that's just anecdote. So *FLOOSH*, your opinion can be ignored. Next caller...."
Gods you're a pretentious twat.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Another well written review of Myers' book on Amazon:
With this title, I expected perhaps somebody enjoying a half-drunken night of sacred cow-tipping, somebody more like Billy Connolly, Dave Barry, or John Cleese perhaps. But this guy isn't remotely happy. He's chastising everybody who ever raised his hackles, an apparently long list (though he's squishy with actual names). I once sat beside a guy excoriating his ex-wives at a bar. Myers reminds me of that.
But overall, Myers doesn't quote those he refutes. He presents straw-man arguments about some conveniently nameless theist, or he caricatures specific opponents' beliefs. It's like watching Fox News misrepresent the Democratic Party, or hearing Fred Phelps mock gays and secularists. Audiences wonder: why would anybody believe such claptrap? Reality replies, nobody really believes that burlesque. Nobody worth your energy, anyway.
I blame the format. These essays began life as entries on Myers' blog, where intrepid readers can find many of them verbatim. But Internet writing rewards short attention spans, surface-level reading, and pat answers. Blogs, including my blog, attract audiences that share the author's core suppositions, and reward writing that whips ideological fellow-travelers into high dudgeon. They don't much encourage deep investigation or intellectual diversity.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Hunt wrote:Ally Fogg continues to ask the plaintive question: What about teh menz?

http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2013 ... ans-world/

Good article, but let me ask, does anyone else find this kind of mutual detente that's building between HeteroNorm Pat. and the rest of FtB vaguely annoying? I mean, if you're going to write for a sadistically ideological blog network, do you think it might be worth addressing that fact? I know, I know, we're all supposed to be enjoying the gradually escalating tension, kind of like just how many episodes of the X-files it would take before Mulder threw himself on Sculley, but isn't this a bit childish? It doesn't take a genius to realize that Fogg is utterly intellectually incompatible with FfTB. I, for one, don't feel like waiting nine months for the orgasm of literary violence. I'm starting to get the impression that this is just another way to play people for blog hits.
I am perfectly content to wait for whatever drama (if any) ensures.

Even though I do not necessarily agree with a significant percentage of what he has to say, I appreciate the perspective that Fogg offers and consider many of them worthwhile to consider.

Meanwhile, if you want some lulz there is always the comment section.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Vacula meets Carlos Diaz of atheist alliance international, in Dublin.

Somewhere (probably Liverpool), at this very moment, there's a sad mother, wondering whatever happened to the twins she gave up for adoption all those years ago.

Poor Ophelia. Uncomfortable plane travel, jet lag, and now the threat of TWO, count them, TWO Vaculas! I fear for poor Feffles's well being. Come back, Ophelia! Come back to the safe side of the ocean!

welch

Post by welch »

Given the copious amount of data you provided to shore up your anecdote, i.e., nothing, I can counter with a similar level of proof. Works fine on my system. And, just because I am an asshole, data:

From numinion.com: http://www.numion.com/stopwatch/Start.h ... p%3D104556

Approximately 3.7 seconds

Pingdom shows a longer time, 16.52s, http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/bkWTFY/ ... 1&p=104611 but most of that is due to imgur, not the site: http://i.imgur.com/FKT03mn.jpg

Loads.in shows 6.7 seconds, with half of that being, again, imgur.

So, you want to show some data that disproves mine, please, be my guest.

tl;dr - The speed of any web page loading is highly dependent on the slowest element. Imgur appears to be a problem child here. I'm sure that somehow, this is lsuoma's fault.*

*it's not actually his fault. It's that John Greg knows fuck all about this stuff.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

TedDahlberg wrote:
That's quite true, I think that I too would feel sorry for him. If this wasn't a situation entirely of his own making. I don't think he could have burned more bridges if he'd been a member of the Bridgeburners.
I quite enjoyed the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and deliberately took my time reading each one. Probably not to everyone's taste though.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Southern wrote:
So, two years from now, Rebecca will get her own WalterEgo?

:rimshot:
Or a Walternate? :think:

http://i.imgur.com/t82Rnr5.jpg

welch

Post by welch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
John Greg wrote:Well, clearly the slowness over the last few days is/was not due to the extra long thread.

I'll ask you, because unlike JG, you might be open to logic. Have you tried a traceroute to the pit when it's loading slowly?

katamari Damassi

Dick Strawkins wrote:Vacula meets Carlos Diaz of atheist alliance international, in Dublin.

I see a battle of the pornstaches looming.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

@Andrewv69

Movies thread + list of 10 disturbing movies

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=320

welch

Post by welch »

Lsuoma wrote:Looks like some intermittent weird internal routing issue at dreamhost. traceroute is showing at least 120 internal hops once I reach their border host.

(someone tell lsuoma about this, I'm on ignore because I'm not a nice person)

Must be localized to you or intermittant. From fl, I get

traceroute to slymepit.com (208.97.177.169), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) 0.514 ms 0.496 ms 0.577 ms
2 199-44-250-153.centurylinkservices.net (199.44.250.153) 1.681 ms 1.375 ms 1.305 ms
3 199.44.9.233 (199.44.9.233) 0.925 ms 0.876 ms 1.644 ms
4 199.44.13.102 (199.44.13.102) 1.248 ms 1.803 ms 1.209 ms
5 208-110-248-133.centurylink.net (208.110.248.133) 1.008 ms 1.063 ms 0.965 ms
6 bb-tlhsflxa-jx9-02-ae0.0.core.centurytel.net (208.110.248.74) 1.490 ms 1.574 ms 1.471 ms
7 bb-atlngamv-jx9-01-xe-10-1-0.core.cenrurytel.net (208.110.248.57) 7.716 ms 7.747 ms 8.708 ms
8 bb-atlngamv-jx9-02-ae0.core.centurytel.net (206.51.69.66) 10.123 ms 7.577 ms 71.278 ms
9 atx-edge-03.inet.qwest.net (65.124.11.241) 7.773 ms 7.512 ms 8.310 ms
10 dcx2-edge-01.inet.qwest.net (67.14.28.66) 27.519 ms 32.777 ms 27.009 ms
11 65.125.14.38 (65.125.14.38) 25.383 ms 25.692 ms 25.208 ms
12 border10.pc1-bbnet1.wdc002.pnap.net (216.52.127.9) 26.072 ms 26.237 ms 27.452 ms
13 dreamhost-2.border10.wdc002.pnap.net (216.52.125.74) 29.045 ms 25.291 ms 25.597 ms
14 adamwasik.com (208.113.156.4) 27.705 ms 30.313 ms 27.670 ms
15 ip-208-113-156-14.dreamhost.com (208.113.156.14) 28.581 ms 27.980 ms 27.786 ms
16 apache2-ichiban.coke.dreamhost.com (208.97.177.169) 26.537 ms 26.378 ms 25.758 ms

If you aren't on the list, you may want to subscribe to NANOG in lurk only mode. If there's large-scale problems, they usually have the source within minutes.

Sulaco

Post by Sulaco »

[youtube]EiQnwiATK0E[/youtube]

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

katamari Damassi wrote:

I see a battle of the pornstaches looming.
I'm afraid Justin will lose big points on the hairdos.

welch

Post by welch »

JAB wrote:
Angry_Drunk wrote:
John Greg wrote:

It's been very slow for me, too. I didn't blame the long thread though since it was also slow just to get the home page up or the post a reply page up. Long time waiting for a response and slow load. Does the pit get served to different regions on the globe from different servers or something? It seems odd that it isn't slow for everyone. Maybe JG and I are both getting slow response because Steven Harper won't upgrade the equipment that all the traffic into Canada has to go through and get copied etc...

The other oddity lately has been that if I left my Firefox with the pit open and left my computer long enough for it to go to sleep, when I woke the computer up FF was frozen and I'd have to close and open it. And this wouldn't happen if the window was minimized. I was blaming a recent update of firefox, but it seems to only happen with the pit, although that's the only forum I tried it on.
Modern routing, in this day and age of BGP, is really, really weird, and so while I doubt dreamhost is going with a full akamai-style network, it is entirely possible for people to take radically different routes to the same server. for some, they'll see a slowdown, others won't. The server itself is probably fine, it's the shit in between you and it that suck.