Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Dick Strawkins

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:I think Ceepolk has left the A+ forum.

I was checking out the members list yesterday and couldn't find her name on it. She hasn't posted since the the 20th, where she got called out for calling crazy people, crazy!
Was she forced to ban herself?

Mykeru gave the best description of the Atheism plus forum when he described it as 'Masada for douchebags'. They keep banning each other right up to a point when there is only one left, who then commits symbolic suicide by banning xirself.

CommanderTuvok

Post by CommanderTuvok »

McWrong's latest video was '0 for 9' in terms of likes/dislikes, last time I saw it.

Ouch, the reality BITES.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Søren Lilholt wrote:
yomomma wrote:Holy shit. I wonder what our SWJ "friends" think of this. A 10-year-old GIRL being charged with rape?
She's black. In the USA's two-tiered society, what is harmless childish fun when a white kid does it is an imprisonable offence if the kid is black.

How DARE America still be this shit, 5 years into a black presidency.
Please tell me this is poe.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Does anyone have a link to PZ acknowledging/discussing having been accused of harassment in the past? Can't find it.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... ent-106866

It's fascinating to note that the post linked is one in which an anonymous person accuses a well known male skeptic of rape.
Remind you of anything?

And Canuck and the rest of his gang's response?

It's pure defamation!
"Anonymous"?!? Only to everyone except PZ! I mean, PZ KNOWS her, for crying out loud!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Does anyone have a link to PZ acknowledging/discussing having been accused of harassment in the past? Can't find it.

It's fascinating to note that the post linked is one in which an anonymous person accuses a well known male skeptic of rape.
Remind you of anything?

It's pure defamation!
ARRRGGGGHHhhhh....
Myers, king of the morons writes:
I’ve been threatened with a false rape accusation, one that could have totally destroyed my career.

I took it very seriously and moved quickly to provide evidence that it was false.
And what about people falsely accused of rape who can't provide evidence that the claim is false? How would one even go about proving such a claim false? "No your honour, on the night in question I was, (very luckily) with a group of friends who can prove I wasn't raping my accuser".
You would think after all his years of hard work arguing with the amazingly intelligent arguments of creationists he might be familiar with the term "burden of proof".

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

deLurch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I'm getting kinda tired of how y'all rag on Jen constantly. I've given numerous talks & business presentations over the years, taught clinics, even been on the radio (real, not just blogtalk.) Few people are naturals at public speaking; Jen is not one of those people. But let's give her some credit:

* Jen was probably really nervous speaking in front of such a large audience. But she compensated by talking really fast and giggling. Making her presentation both uplifting and extra short;

* It sounds like Jen wasn't drawing from experience, rather, just hastily compiled material found on the internet. When speakers do this, they can often come off as uninterested in their own talk. But Jen lent a sense of excitement by performing a hula dance while she spoke;

* Many people adopt an artificial tone instead of using their normal conversational voice. Jen used the same, awkward, assburger drone she does in everyday life. Kudos to her!
<devil's advocate>
The people who really suck at things, are the people who never take the risks to try and fail. She would do better with a solid critique instead of just straight up bashing.
</devil's advocate>

That said, in addition to the snark-critique, her problems included:
* Not being really knowledgeable about the subject matter.
* Lack of preparation and practice. If you are going to stand up and talk in front of an audience for half an hour, you owe it to them to not just wing it or run it through your head. Whatever prep work she did clearly was not enough. Yes, there are people who can effectively wing it. But those same people have a lot of experience and are typically talking on subjects that they know well and have done for years.
* Record yourself doing the talk. It is near impossible to be completely self aware of how you perform with out it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Jen been doing this for quite some time now? If that is indeed the case, she has no excuse for such a piss poor performance unless her friends have always praised her every speech no matter how bad.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I was checking out the members list yesterday and couldn't find her name on it. She hasn't posted since the the 20th, where she got called out for calling crazy people, crazy!
I noticed earlier today that her last visit to the forum (logged in, anyway) was 3 days ago. Hadn't noticed that she'd disappeared from the member list; you're right!

A member can still pull up her member profile by clicking one of her posts; that profile gives her status as "inactive".

Here's the last thread she posted in: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5229

ceepolk replied to OP, "I'm pretty comfortable in making the assumptions that serial murders are psychopaths, so I don't really need much more than that. they might not be, but why split hairs?"

later Grimalkin says,
"Why. The. Fuck. Are we using language like "pyschopath" and "crazy" and "psychotic" to describe this? Because stigmatizing mental illness is somehow better than going "must be SATAN?"

And, uh, if you're going to go "Well we don't mean mental illness, we just mean crazy like 'the kind of people who do evil things'" then... stop bullshitting, because that means your entire coping mechanism is "They do evil things because they're the kind of people who do evil things" which is a useless-ass tautology. I know that the goddamn logic here is "It's the mentally ill people, not the normal people" because the whole coping mechanism is to categorize them into their own sector of society that's evil (and not like Normal Good People), and that is my goddamned sector.

And it's not like people bother to draw a line between my REAL mental illness and the mental illnesses that they perceive (and never have proof) that evil people have. Not even for depression, and certainly not for other neurotypes and illnesses like autism, or schizophrenia and such.

Yeah. I'm sorry, but the people who do stuff like cannibalize eachother and behead eachother? They're just like you. You don't get to sanction them off as mentally ill and stick them with people like me.

And my head is fucking spinning at the fact that I'm having to type this out here. What the everloving fuck.
Then ischemgeek weighs in w/ a mod notice about ableism, and ceepolk leaves with "Can I point at any individual and figure it out? no, I can't. But I'm not going to, either. Not up to me."

So...does this mean ceepolk isn't going to be in the running for the Skepticon 6 travel $$?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

CommanderTuvok wrote:McWrong's latest video was '0 for 9' in terms of likes/dislikes, last time I saw it.

Ouch, the reality BITES.
16 downvotes, 1 upvote last I saw it (~14 hrs ago)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

curriejean wrote:I don't really 'get' the separate bathrooms for trans*people thing in general. I'm as happy sharing a restroom with a trans*woman as with a ciswoman.
Not everyone thinks the same way as you. By designating unisex bathrooms, it ensures that they don't have to worry about strange looks or off comments. It is also handy for single parents who still need to accompany their rug rats into the bathroom.
curriejean wrote:They're women, I'm a woman, I expect them to be welcome in the ladies' room, I expect my peers to accept that, and I would stand up for that in person. Am I wrong in assuming my perspective is common, especially at a conference like this?
When you have a lot of people, you are inevitably going to get people who have the polar opposite view. How unlikely is it that some woman will go nutso on a transwoman because "some creepy guy is trying to get a look in the women's restroom."

Just because the atheist community tends to be more accepting that the general population, does not mean everyone is the same. There are both pro-choice and anti-abortion atheists. The ONLY thing that atheists really have in common is that they don't believe in deities.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Are we into the nit picking phase of Clownfall/Shmeargate yet?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tony Parsehole wrote:ARRRGGGGHHhhhh....
I’ve been threatened with a false rape accusation, one that could have totally destroyed my career.

I took it very seriously and moved quickly to provide evidence that it was false.
Could have totally destroyed his career? Isn't the narrative that this defamation suit won't hurt Shermer at all? I'm confused.

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

ianfc wrote:Are we into the nit picking phase of Clownfall/Shmeargate yet?
AFAICT we're still firmly in the "let's throw feces at each other based on pretty much no information whatsoever" phase.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Skep tickle wrote:

I noticed earlier today that her last visit to the forum (logged in, anyway) was 3 days ago. Hadn't noticed that she'd disappeared from the member list; you're right!

A member can still pull up her member profile by clicking one of her posts; that profile gives her status as "inactive".

Here's the last thread she posted in: http://atheismplus.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5229

ceepolk replied to OP, "I'm pretty comfortable in making the assumptions that serial murders are psychopaths, so I don't really need much more than that. they might not be, but why split hairs?"

later Grimalkin says,
"Why. The. Fuck. Are we using language like "pyschopath" and "crazy" and "psychotic" to describe this? Because stigmatizing mental illness is somehow better than going "must be SATAN?"

And, uh, if you're going to go "Well we don't mean mental illness, we just mean crazy like 'the kind of people who do evil things'" then... stop bullshitting, because that means your entire coping mechanism is "They do evil things because they're the kind of people who do evil things" which is a useless-ass tautology. I know that the goddamn logic here is "It's the mentally ill people, not the normal people" because the whole coping mechanism is to categorize them into their own sector of society that's evil (and not like Normal Good People), and that is my goddamned sector.

And it's not like people bother to draw a line between my REAL mental illness and the mental illnesses that they perceive (and never have proof) that evil people have. Not even for depression, and certainly not for other neurotypes and illnesses like autism, or schizophrenia and such.

Yeah. I'm sorry, but the people who do stuff like cannibalize eachother and behead eachother? They're just like you. You don't get to sanction them off as mentally ill and stick them with people like me.

And my head is fucking spinning at the fact that I'm having to type this out here. What the everloving fuck.
Then ischemgeek weighs in w/ a mod notice about ableism, and ceepolk leaves with "Can I point at any individual and figure it out? no, I can't. But I'm not going to, either. Not up to me."

So...does this mean ceepolk isn't going to be in the running for the Skepticon 6 travel $$?
The vitriolic, faux-outraged style is so similar I could imagine Ceepolk writing that to herself.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Skep tickle wrote: and further 'conversation':
http://i.imgur.com/WSFSB3i.png?1
LOL. They reported JT to the cons and they did nothing about it. Sound familiar?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Pitchguest wrote:

Could have totally destroyed his career? Isn't the narrative that this defamation suit won't hurt Shermer at all? I'm confused.
Oh shit, yeah. Good catch.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Pitchguest wrote:

I hope Shermers lawyers are taking notes. It's blindingly obvious that Peezus knows rape allegations, even those that are false, are career destroying. Which surely places a burden of responsibility on him to ensure he isn't subjecting an innocent person to such a fate.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Ceepolk was a gem. With her ban-happy outlook on moderation she is almost entirely responsible for the low population of the A+ forum. Not only that but she's provided us all with so many chuckles over the last year and I will genuinely miss reading her fucked-up, psychotic, retarded comments.

*raises glass*

TO CEEPOLK! WHOEVER YOU ARE!

*sip*

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news,

Over at the Daily Telegraph, Sean Thomas asks the important question of the day. Are atheists mentally ill?. Now normally I would say Nay! I tell tell thee sirrah Nay!

But that was before I encountered the Horde, and Atheism Plus and I was struck with the thought that one could very easily get that impression indeed. I was also perturbed and distressed because I then remembered I once insulted Vox Day by comparing him to PeeZuss Christ.

Now I was going to comment and say that not all of us are and ... but when I looked at the comments ... Oh my! Some may indeed not be insane, but there are also some that are either and or both inane and angry.

I confess defeat. I tucked my tail between my legs and silently slunk away.

Oh well done Sean Thomas. A successful troll indeed.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Ceepolk was a gem. With her ban-happy outlook on moderation she is almost entirely responsible for the low population of the A+ forum. Not only that but she's provided us all with so many chuckles over the last year and I will genuinely miss reading her fucked-up, psychotic, retarded comments.

*raises glass*

*sip*
Looks like you need a refill there, my dear... :whistle:

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

AndrewV69 wrote:OK. Where was I? Oh yes, apparently Eivind Berge and Judgy Bitch managed to bump into each other on twitter and had a conversation, after which Judgy Bitch wrote up a post that offers her take on the subject.

Is rape the worst thing that can happen to a woman? Why do so many “victims” collapse into sniveling bags of snot? Is it really that bad?
http://judgybitch.com/2013/08/23/is-rap ... -that-bad/
http://i.imgur.com/8eY8b1x.jpgz

JudgyBitch is one reason I hate everyone, or one reason why I question my own sanity.

Here is what the Amherst student wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/j7Fg1kC.jpg

While it's really not clear exactly what happened to the student, it is bizarre to read this as a statement that she was only "held down" or that her complaint is somehow all about her being held down in some innocuous fashion while hearing voices on the other side of the door.

I have no idea what happened in that room and neither does JudgyBitch, but it undermines her argument that date rape is just a social construct of whiny ass titty babies to use that particular Amherst example as an example of throwing a temper tantrum over nothing.

And she is (currently) considered a hero of the men's rights movement.

In other news, Paul Elam will be interviewed by ABC 20/20, Newsweek and The Daily Beast.
http://www.avoiceformen.com/a-voice-for ... -the-world

I anticipate this will set back men's rights by at least a decade.

I hope I am wrong.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Gumby wrote:
Cap

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/pzacc.jpg

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Remind you of anything?

It's pure defamation!
Yes, it's a perfect illustration of the double-standards they apply to themselves vs. everyone else.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

welch wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
justinvacula wrote:New from Richard Carrier:

http://www.freezepage.com/1377279635INLRLZYXQP
http://skepticon.org/speakers/

(Psst, JT: I could fill in for Dick in a pinch -- I have training in historical methods.)
So could I. I actually have some legitimate topics to talk about. Centering around computing and IT of course, but still showing the value of proper skeptical evaluation of claims.
Talkin' SlymeCon, baby!

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:

I hope Shermers lawyers are taking notes. It's blindingly obvious that Peezus knows rape allegations, even those that are false, are career destroying. Which surely places a burden of responsibility on him to ensure he isn't subjecting an innocent person to such a fate.
Excellent point. (More wordy version of saying "this")

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Cap

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/pzacc.jpg
"I sure as hell hope they take both sides seriously. ??!!" This stuff is gold.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Ceepolk was a gem. With her ban-happy outlook on moderation she is almost entirely responsible for the low population of the A+ forum. Not only that but she's provided us all with so many chuckles over the last year and I will genuinely miss reading her fucked-up, psychotic, retarded comments.

*raises glass*

*sip*
Refill?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Apparently burden of proof is something that only applies to creationists who say "You can't disprove god!"

Myers is such a fucking dick. I would give my left nut to know what his wife thinks about all this (that is if his wife even exists and isn't an inflatable sex-doll with a blue wig and Morrissey glasses).

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Zenspace wrote:

*raises glass*

*sip*
Looks like you need a refill there, my dear... :whistle:
OOOoooh Yes please.
*slurp*

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:

*raises glass*

*sip*
Refill?
Another? Go on then....
*glug*

Rope apologist

Post by Rope apologist »

Pitchguest wrote:

Well, only because Shermer can't document every last moment that he's lived with two witnesses or more. Geez, is that too much to ask?

Doesn't he have a couple of people watching every time he has sex who'll vouch for its being consensual? I thought everyone did.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

*raises glass*

*sip*
[youtube]rHJoj9IqeKg[/youtube]

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Somebody has to stop teleomericfusion oppressing me with images on twitter.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Just remember folks, ALWAYS have a witness around just in case you are falsely accused of rape.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

"Where were you on the night of July 3rd?"
"I was at home watching Emmerdale on the telly"
"Alone?"
"Yes."
"Then you can't provide any evidence that you weren't raping this woman on the night in question?"
"Errrr....I could tell you what happened in Emmerdale?"
"Insufficient evidence! You might have recoded it or watched it the day after on ITV2! GUILTY! TAKE HIM DOWN!"

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Just remember folks, ALWAYS have a witness around just in case you are falsely accused of rape.

Only threesoms you say. :dance:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Just remember folks, ALWAYS have a witness around just in case you are falsely accused of rape.

I remember my first and only threesome.
Me and my girlfriend were having it off on the floor and the dog came in and sniffed my arse.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Not to worry. It looks like Lsuoma and I are working an alcohol fueled threesome with you. I'll vouch for him if he vouches for me.

By the way, I couldn't help but notice how nicely you fill out that bustiere. More wine?

Satan

Post by Satan »

deLurch wrote:How unlikely is it that some woman will go nutso on a transwoman because "some creepy guy is trying to get a look in the women's restroom."
It's even more likely to happen because of the feminist swarm that now surrounds atheism. Many feminists really hate the transgendered and put a lot of effort into persecuting them.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Skep tickle wrote:

later Grimalkin says,

Rather ironic considering the fact that she flipped out on Setar the week before over something similar, no?

lulz

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Skep tickle wrote:
http://www.freezepage.com/1377262794PINWHBPBFS

... Seems to me that there's a big disconnect between "EEB" describing injuries as being significant, and the subsequent suspicion that she fabricated the report ...
Won't block-quote all that Skep tickle wrote, but she makes a whole lotta sense.

EEB's story doesn't feel right. Gross negligence of SOP at every step of the process by the police? What were the results of the rape kit exam? She describes burns, abrasions & bleeding -- what were the findings of the hospital exam? She does not mention these, which is odd, as wouldn't they corroborate her story?

Then she drops this. They doubted her "ecause I have a mental illness. Because I was hospitalized after attempting suicide. Because I “claimed” I had been sexually assaulted in the past."

How many previous reports? What were the details, the outcomes of the investigations? What mental illness? I need to know those before I can accept this account with any credulity. Because this is exactly how a crazy person would talk about an imagined event, and exactly (though I question her description of the details) how the police would handle a disturbed person who makes false claims on a regular basis.

Instead of accepting EEB's account without question, it should be compared to accounts from confirmed sane people who it has been confirmed were raped.

Oh, and fuck you, lurking quote-miners.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:

I remember my first and only threesome.
Me and my girlfriend were having it off on the floor and the dog came in and sniffed my arse.
I got your threesome story right here...

[youtube]aY4LISmwxZQ[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ape+lust wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:I'm using Firefox, too. I've had this trouble repeatedly & I think someone else mentioned it a while back. Interesting that you don't... May be something I'm doing wrong, that wouldn't be a surprise (older version of Firefox? something like that?).

The url you linked takes me to the top of post 2952 (by windy), with the bottom of post 2951 (by justin vacula) showing, instead of post 2953 (by curriejean, which has the url you linked).
It looks like Twitter is doing it. The javascript for twitter.com/twimg.com kicks in after the page settles on the linked anchor point and makes the page expand to accomodate the tweets it injects.
I'd believe that. Seems like an unintended misfunction, though. (May test it out on a page w/o any tweets.)
AndrewV69 wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: I'm using Firefox, too. I've had this trouble repeatedly & I think someone else mentioned it a while back. Interesting that you don't... May be something I'm doing wrong, that wouldn't be a surprise (older version of Firefox? something like that?).

The url you linked takes me to the top of post 2952 (by windy), with the bottom of post 2951 (by justin vacula) showing, instead of post 2953 (by curriejean, which has the url you linked).
Hmmm.

The version I am using is 23.0 for Ubuntu. The standard behaviour is when you click on a link it should take you to that location. I make extensive use of extensions such as ad blockers, tracker disabling, and search obscuring tools without any issues except for a few sites such as Slate.

Are you using any Extensions/Addons?
I'm using Firefox 22.0. I have Adblock Plus 2.3.2, not aware of any other add-ons.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Ä uest wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:OK. Where was I? Oh yes, apparently Eivind Berge and Judgy Bitch managed to bump into each other on twitter and had a conversation, after which Judgy Bitch wrote up a post that offers her take on the subject.

Is rape the worst thing that can happen to a woman? Why do so many “victims” collapse into sniveling bags of snot? Is it really that bad?
http://judgybitch.com/2013/08/23/is-rap ... -that-bad/
http://i.imgur.com/8eY8b1x.jpgz

JudgyBitch is one reason I hate everyone, or one reason why I question my own sanity.

Here is what the Amherst student wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/j7Fg1kC.jpg

While it's really not clear exactly what happened to the student, it is bizarre to read this as a statement that she was only "held down" or that her complaint is somehow all about her being held down in some innocuous fashion while hearing voices on the other side of the door.

I have no idea what happened in that room and neither does JudgyBitch, but it undermines her argument that date rape is just a social construct of whiny ass titty babies to use that particular Amherst example as an example of throwing a temper tantrum over nothing.

In other news, Paul Elam will be interviewed by ABC 20/20, Newsweek and The Daily Beast.

I hope I am wrong.
Sounds like the 'it isn't rape if the victim either doesn't fight back hard enough/isn't brutally savaged enough'

And I don't like JudgyBitch - she tries too hard to be 'no nonsense, I see through all that fem bullshit, guys respect me, I'm such a badass'. Reminds me of Anne Coulter in some ways.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

I wonder if she's free to do the Atheism Plus watch segment on our podcast. :D

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

another lurker wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:

later Grimalkin says,

I can only imagine the drama that went on in the "super secret forum" leading up to ceepolk flouncing.

Rather ironic considering the fact that she flipped out on Setar the week before over something similar, no?

lulz

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

PZ sure dodged a bullet there. Had those accusations stuck, he might find himself today teaching at some tiny college in the boonies, writing a blog that nobody reads, self-plagiarizing for a book that nobody buys, and giving the same tired presentation that nobody attends.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

PZ Myers writes about his "false" accusation:

But of course we have to accept the personal testimony of women’s experiences. In that case, it would have been totally injust to simply say, “oh, she’s a woman, therefore she’s lying”. Most rape accusations are not false, so a priori dismissals are inappropriate, and if that woman had gone to the authorities (she didn’t, because I immediately brought in witnesses to make her effort futile) I would sure as hell hope they’d treat both of our positions with equal seriousness.
From the alleged victim's viewpoint it may have gone like this:
My attacker immediately took measures to silence me. He brought together a group of his friends to call me a liar. They said nobody would believe me- my word against several others! I was intimidated into silence and so never went to the authorities.

Of course, so far at least we only have Myer's side of the story. If the "victim" doesn't come forward maybe some of PZ's friends might come forward and relate how they witnessed PZ not raping that woman!

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

acathode wrote:
windy wrote:
Watching Dillahunty is kinda like watching a crashing plane slowly tumbling down from the sky, you know it will hit the ground sooner or later and when it does, it will be a pretty gigantic mess.

At the core, Matt seems to have fairly reasonable and sane views* on all of this social justice business, which naturally puts him at odds with the unreasonable and insane views that the SJWs have. It almost as if he's just either not aware of, or simply ignores the dogmatic nature of his FTB friends, almost as if he had some kind of "friend filter" installed in his glasses. One day he's bound to disagree a bit to publicly to one of the FTBers craziness, or say something going against the SJW dogma a bit to much, and then the hunt for his ass will be on.
He almost got there with the A+ forum fiasco, but he and the rest of FTB de-escalated things before they went over the edge of no return, no doubt at least partially because of his and TAE's popularity probably beats even Myers as soon as you leave the blogosphere. The next time though...

If he doesn't manage to become "witch of the week" within say, 2 years (assuming FTB survives that long), I'd be genuinely surprised.

*with a few exceptions.
Just a hunch, but apart from being start-struck by PZ (at least he was), but I strongly suspect he doesn't want to get into a fight over this because he doesn't want to upset the Godless Bitches... least of all the one he is married to.

I find their show soporific, and I don't think i have ever made it past 20mins, but the few times I tried listening they seemed to be echoing whatever the Skepchicks/A+ were ranting about at the time, only in a less hysterical tone.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

deLurch wrote:Not everyone thinks the same way as you. [...] Just because the atheist community tends to be more accepting than the general population, does not mean everyone is the same.
Is it necessary to be so condescending? I said, "Am I wrong in assuming my perspective is common, especially at a conference like this?" and it appears, so far, that I'm not wrong.
deLurch wrote:When you have a lot of people, you are inevitably going to get people who have the polar opposite view.
And as another user said, throw them out. They're likely to be an extreme minority.
deLurch wrote:How unlikely is it that some woman will go nutso on a transwoman because "some creepy guy is trying to get a look in the women's restroom."
Very unlikely, as far as I know.
deLurch wrote:The ONLY thing that atheists really have in common is that they don't believe in deities.
And we've been reciting this en masse for how many years? Seven, I think?

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

And also, I'm not arguing against the use/existence of unisex bathrooms. Only the implication that segregation, which encourages othering, is necessary.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Ä uest wrote: While it's really not clear exactly what happened to the student, it is bizarre to read this as a statement that she was only "held down" or that her complaint is somehow all about her being held down in some innocuous fashion while hearing voices on the other side of the door.
I did not read that into it actually. Just what was reported and that apparently for some reason she did not yell for help. Why not? If she could hear voices then presumably they could hear her especially if she screamed. Was she gagged? Hand over the mouth? What? Was she shocked into immobility? What? And then to top it off she never reported it? Why?

There was a time when if a woman said that she was raped I would automatically believe her. That reflex took a very long time to die for me. Today it is completely gone and reports like the one above do not help.
Ä uest wrote: I have no idea what happened in that room and neither does JudgyBitch, but it undermines her argument that date rape is just a social construct of whiny ass titty babies to use that particular Amherst example as an example of throwing a temper tantrum over nothing.

Whatever man.
Ä uest wrote: In other news, Paul Elam will be interviewed by ABC 20/20, Newsweek and The Daily Beast.

I hope I am wrong.
*shrug*

I am not really all that concerned at this point. It will take time but things are going to change. Just do not expect it to happen in your life time, because it took us around 200+ years to get to where we are today.

Linus

Post by Linus »

Ceepolk noooooooooooooo

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Attachments
FROTHD.PNG
(311.32 KiB) Downloaded 184 times

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

another lurker wrote: Sounds like the 'it isn't rape if the victim either doesn't fight back hard enough/isn't brutally savaged enough'
I could indeed be looked at in that light. Especially if she apparently did not yell for help either? And afterwards never reported it?

I remember once I was over a a girl's home when I was a teenager. She was loudly complaining about a guy who held her down when she spent the night at his house. It just so happened that he called her on the phone while I was there and after she was done talking with him, I got on the phone and started berating him. In mid-rant he hung up on me.

The next night she went to his house and this time she fucked him. D'oh! Wait? What? What the fuck?
another lurker wrote: And I don't like JudgyBitch - she tries too hard to be 'no nonsense, I see through all that fem bullshit, guys respect me, I'm such a badass'. Reminds me of Anne Coulter in some ways.
You have heard the expression that opinions are like arseholes because everyone has one?

I propose a toast. Here is to us and Ceepolk.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

AndrewV69 wrote:
another lurker wrote: Sounds like the 'it isn't rape if the victim either doesn't fight back hard enough/isn't brutally savaged enough'
I could indeed be looked at in that light. Especially if she apparently did not yell for help either? And afterwards never reported it?

I remember once I was over a a girl's home when I was a teenager. She was loudly complaining about a guy who held her down when she spent the night at his house. It just so happened that he called her on the phone while I was there and after she was done talking with him, I got on the phone and started berating him. In mid-rant he hung up on me.

The next night she went to his house and this time she fucked him. D'oh! Wait? What? What the fuck?
another lurker wrote: And I don't like JudgyBitch - she tries too hard to be 'no nonsense, I see through all that fem bullshit, guys respect me, I'm such a badass'. Reminds me of Anne Coulter in some ways.
You have heard the expression that opinions are like arseholes because everyone has one?

I propose a toast. Here is to us and Ceepolk.
I missed the 'did not yell for help part'. However, there might be a valid reason for this - but we'll never know, because she didn't give enough detail.

I remember reading one story about 'rape' that just blew my mind, however. It was so stupid. The girl wrote in to Dear Abby, or something, asking if she had been raped, because she hadn't been as 'into it' as she could have. And then she actually told her bf that he 'raped her' because she wasn't totally into it. The guy completely freaked out, and now he second guesses every move he makes with her because it might be perceived as 'rape'. Mind-blowingly retarded. The poor guy. If he isn't out of that relationship yet, he certainly needs to gtfo.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

*raises glass*

*sip*
Wait...wasn't there a rumor going around saying that one of the mods was a Poe? What if she was it? :o </tinfoil-hat>

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Dave2 wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: I am offended that you think "use-by date is ridiculous".
About women such as Rebecca or Jen who clearly have years to go before menopause?

Yeah, it's largely ridiculous.

Even if you do literally want to treat people like statistics and assume that men literally place a value on women determined by age you ignore a number of pertinent values and fail to realise the implication of a normal distribution (again).

So most men (but not all) would rather a long term mate who was young, or younger than they are, all else being equal.

But all else isn't equal and both Rebecca and Jen are well within an age range that shouldn't provide them with any problem in locating a long term mate (and in terms of short term mates a great many men forgo qualms about age anyway and may even find the notions of experience enticing).

And this before we get into issues about attractive qualities beyond those of age, or even looks. Given their online personas I can't really understand why anyone would want to spend time with Jen or Rebecca, but in real life they might display attributes such as kindness, liveliness, humour, resourcefulness, high energy and other qualities shown to impress men wanting a long term mate.
There is something to "use by date" for both women and gay men, and maybe straight men, in that there is a short period of time when they can get by solely by their looks.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
PZ sure dodged a bullet there. Had those accusations stuck, he might find himself today teaching at some tiny college in the boonies, writing a blog that nobody reads, self-plagiarizing for a book that nobody buys, and giving the same tired presentation that nobody attends.
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... /rofl2.gif

What you did there? I see it!

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Needs more wanking hobos.