Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Za-zen

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Za-zen »

I'm usually up to date with the sjw hitlist, but i'm attempting to piece together in my own head how paul loebe has become an enemy of "the decent people". Seems there have been deletes involved which makes it harder to understand.

Though one hilarity i did recognise was a demand to distance himself from such scum as ellen beth wachs! Kneel and grovel boy whilst kissin my ass!

codelette

Post by codelette »

Za-zen wrote:I'm usually up to date with the sjw hitlist, but i'm attempting to piece together in my own head how paul loebe has become an enemy of "the decent people". Seems there have been deletes involved which makes it harder to understand.

Though one hilarity i did recognise was a demand to distance himself from such scum as ellen beth wachs! Kneel and grovel boy whilst kissin my ass!
I think he called Sarah Jones a "fuckbag". :lol:

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

goddamn 'nym wrote:
yomomma wrote:
Gumby wrote: I don't hate McCreight, as a matter of fact I don't hate any of them. They are vile and loathsome, but I don't hate them.
I do. I can honestly say I hate Rebecca Watson. In second place would be Greta Christina followed by PZ Myers (although, they probably tie for second place really). I hate them because they're despicable people that use their own insecurities to be truly awful to other people.

Fuck them.
I don't think skepticism and hate go very well together. Maybe you have stared into the abyss for too long?
Why? I can be skeptical all I want and hate who I want. I hate very few people, but some of the radfems, I do hate. Too bad. I wasn't asking for your approval.

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

Za-zen wrote:I'm usually up to date with the sjw hitlist, but i'm attempting to piece together in my own head how paul loebe has become an enemy of "the decent people". Seems there have been deletes involved which makes it harder to understand.

I have no more idea who these folks are then the infield of the 1918 Red Sox but perhaps it has something to do with this:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rockbeyond ... ly-a-sith/

http://i.imgur.com/l3gxrhf.jpg

More at the link http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rockbeyond ... ly-a-sith/

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

In that regard, Paul Loebe seems to be the only FTB blogger with the balls to stand up to PZ.

Ed hasn't.
Maryamm hasn't except perhaps obliguely.
Mano hasn't.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

goddamn 'nym wrote:
gargamel wrote:
goddamn 'nym wrote: I don't think skepticism and hate go very well together. Maybe you have stared into the abyss for too long?
Any why is that?
Cause you want to weigh their arguments on their merits and not have intensive feelings distort your perception?
I can separate the two.

For example, I pretty much hate Bill Maher, but I still find him funny and recognize that he makes a good point once in a blue moon.

So, I'm just better at hating people than most.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

CommanderTuvok wrote:I do HATE many of the prime Baboons. My patience for them went years ago.

I HATE bullies, and I especially HATE bullies with privilege and power (like having a blog with readership, influence in a community, etc.) who pretend they are victims. That is why I especially HATE PZ, Greta, Ophelia, Rebecca and Stephalump, although Ophelia, Greta and Stephalump's following is not that big, and appears to be fading.

Fuck 'em. Deepen the rifts. Destroy their reputations. Ruin them.
Yeah, that.

Right on Commander. :clap:

Ä uest

Post by Ä uest »

Ally Fogg sure hasn't.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Another term that disallows me from taking people seriously; "You are with us or your are against us".

I wonder when these people determined that the world is deficient in black & white thinking...

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Last week he wrote a post critical of FTB absolutism and the commentariats mindlessly following PZ Myers. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rockbeyond ... ly-a-sith/ Didn't go well, like salt in a wound, with the FTB crowd as he'd recently spurned FTB as his blog home in a move to Patheos back in July.

So, he's on the shit list...

acathode

Post by acathode »

another lurker wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Without god (a given for me) then humans have only got their shared experience to draw value from.
Tell that to the Amakalites.
Aw, the Amalekites. Yeah, you spelled it wrong! Don't worry, I went around spelling it like that for an entire week!

Anyways, I was listening to a Reasonable Doubts podcast, and a christian apologist made the argument that the Amalekites were *responsible* for the genocide, because: "if you know that an army is coming, and armies in those days moved slowly, it is your responsibility to get your family out of harm's way - so if you're still there, and you and your kids get slaughtered, IT'S YOUR FAULT FOR NOT RUNNING AWAY FAST ENOUGH".

Aw, I love apologetics - truly sublime bullshit artistry.
Makes me remember this epic fuckwittery:
[youtube]FHRmdCZO2bE[/youtube]
If nothing else can convince someone that religion and the God of the Bible got nothing to do with morality, listening to WLC tying himself into a knot and eventually, with a straight face, telling the audience that murdering children in the name of God = an infinitely good act is sure to make most sane people think twice.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Yeah i read that blog by Paul, seems he came in late to the game, gave the SJW mob the benefit of the doubt, then finally realised they're fucking loony toons.

From my piecing together so far, it seems Loebe RT'd Wachs tweet highlighting the shermer donation drive. There also seems to have been an incident where Wachs (according to the SJW) defended a death threat to her on a third blog, so by RT Wachs Loebe has not only demonstrated support for a known rapist (Shermer) and so becomes a rape apologist. But also shown he supports Wachs, and therefore is a death threat apologist.

This is my very quick summation, and utterly unreliable, and definitely not up to the pit required standards of evidencing, so YMMV.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

welch wrote:
For SOME people it does. For others, it does not. The entire "Atheism leads to <ideals "I" find good> thing is projection. In and of itself, Atheism leads to not believing in deities. It doesn't even lead to not believing in the supernatural.

If people were to stop trying to make Atheism the gateway to whatever beliefs they, as Atheists, find "good", they'd probably be a lot less annoyed by the "bad" Atheists.
Yep. One thing that many *skeptical* Atheists fail to recognize is that NOT all Atheists are even skeptical. I just assumed they were until I met a sizable lot of them on the internets, who weren't. Further, just because I can identify with skeptical Atheists and call myself one, doesn't mean I hold the same core values as other skeptical Atheists.

I once argued with a feminist who told me that skeptics are of such a higher enlightenment and understanding of the world, that it automatically gives one special insight into the social injustices we face and if I couldn't recognize those social injustices the same way she could, I was just not enlightened or educated enough. She claimed that I still had work to do in becoming a true critical thinker because the two are synonymous.

If that's true, I'll remain stagnant in my critical thinking skills, cuz according to her, if I become better at it, I will come full circle and become a true believer. IMO, once you cross that threshold of extremism, you become what you originally detested on the other side.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

VickyCaramel wrote:
Really? I don't pay attention all the time, but during my forays into this I have never seen Greta initiate anything, and her support for the others has been minimal. While for me, Ophelia Benson is completely despicable and too stupid to be able to hide it. If Carrier is their intellectual artillery, she is the sap who digs the latrines.
Honestly, I get Greta and Ophelia mixed up sometimes, but Greta is the one that started that whole thing about Ron Lindsay, no?

One thing I can be sure of about Greta, is that she has called those who don't support her brand of radfem, 'women who seek to get the attention of men.' This has been echoed in arguments/debates from White-knighters who accuse women who disagree with the current feminist goals or agree that we're living in a rape culture, as women who are just trying to look attractive to men.

I find this so FUCKING INSULTING! Like I'm sooooo stupid and such a girl that I cannot possibly come to this conclusion using my brains. To me, this is more misogynistic that anything that's ever come out of my mouth.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Lsuoma wrote:I had a great day in the North Cascades today:

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/IMG_0842-L.jpg
If this is near the Olympic peninsula, this is where I'm from. Beautiful.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

JackRayner wrote:Another term that disallows me from taking people seriously; "You are with us or your are against us".

I wonder when these people determined that the world is deficient in black & white thinking...
I meant "you're", I swear! Please don't rape me, Grammar Nazis!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

another lurker wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I have no choice! I have to keep my caffeine level up. I've got, I've got... a coffee bean problem.

I bet a wood chipper could pre-grind at least a week's worth of coffee for me. Hmmm.
If a guy ever offers you coffee in an elevator, I would hope that you'd ask him to haul 'it' out first - you know, to make sure he passes muster:P

Which reminds me, back in the day my friends and I had a troll #philosophy channel on DALnet, and one of my friends was a size queen. Every new guy that came to the channel, first question was 'how big is your dick' - often pictures would be demanded, but if she couldn't get those, measurements would suffice:P Her rule was that anyone under 7 inches would get kicked out! When the guys demanded to know why the fuck we were all demanding dick info, we would mysteriously reply 'for the files'. Good times...
I guess if he's made size promises, asking to see it beforehand would be wise. There are a lot of liars and exaggerators out there. :liar:

I usually just let myself be surprised and hope it doesn't show on my face when I run into the occasional extra small size. :confusion-shrug:

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Hunt wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/entequilaes ... e-so-high/

FtB continues to beat the "there is no such thing as a false rape charge" drum. It wouldn't be so disgusting if it weren't so obvious what their strategy is. Sometimes they remind me of the bugs in "Starship Trooper."
I have been told by an active skeptic feminist, that the "there is no such thing as a false rape charge" and "we live in a rape culture" are statements of strategy. They are purposefully poisoning the well, so that detractors are made to be on the defensive. She compared it to calling out pseudoscience, whereby the accuser is given automatic authority.

These strategies are not new. Politicians and special interest groups do it all the time. Unfortunately, most of the public is too dumb to recognize that they're being manipulated to serve the purpose of a special interest group (which is one of my pet peeves).

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Scented Nectar wrote:
another lurker wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I have no choice! I have to keep my caffeine level up. I've got, I've got... a coffee bean problem.

I bet a wood chipper could pre-grind at least a week's worth of coffee for me. Hmmm.
If a guy ever offers you coffee in an elevator, I would hope that you'd ask him to haul 'it' out first - you know, to make sure he passes muster:P

Which reminds me, back in the day my friends and I had a troll #philosophy channel on DALnet, and one of my friends was a size queen. Every new guy that came to the channel, first question was 'how big is your dick' - often pictures would be demanded, but if she couldn't get those, measurements would suffice:P Her rule was that anyone under 7 inches would get kicked out! When the guys demanded to know why the fuck we were all demanding dick info, we would mysteriously reply 'for the files'. Good times...
I guess if he's made size promises, asking to see it beforehand would be wise. There are a lot of liars and exaggerators out there. :liar:

I usually just let myself be surprised and hope it doesn't show on my face when I run into the occasional extra small size. :confusion-shrug:

If it's really big, he could offer to stir your coffee with it:P Well, that is, if he can fit it in the cup!

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

I want to be an opinion leader, where do i apply?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

yomomma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:I had a great day in the North Cascades today:

http://slymepit.com/staticimgs/IMG_0842-L.jpg
If this is near the Olympic peninsula, this is where I'm from. Beautiful.
Thanks.

That's actually Diablo Lake in Whatcom County, in the foothills of the Cascades along SR-20 (N. Cascades Scenic Highway).

uberfeminist

Post by uberfeminist »

Ä uest wrote:I don't give much of a shit about Jen, more interesting to me is the Perils of PC as lived by Penny Arcade.

Those dipshits over there suck feminist cock every chance they get and yet they never can win.

Here is Jen demonstrating her ignorance as to current events while our social justice warriors hold Gabe and Tyco down and rape them once again.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/201 ... pproaches/
This comment from Jen is awesome:
@Timid Atheist Oh, no no, I do care. I’m glad you brought it up. I was just lamenting how it seems there’s nothing left in life that isn’t tinged with something problematic.
No shit?

Hopefully she realizes that she's responsible for some of the "problematic" pieces of Atheism+...

But that would require some self awareness and she may have to actually apologize for something.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Hey tit i demand a green name

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

another lurker wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I guess if he's made size promises, asking to see it beforehand would be wise. There are a lot of liars and exaggerators out there. :liar:

If it's really big, he could offer to stir your coffee with it:P Well, that is, if he can fit it in the cup!
I wouldn't want to scald him though. I'll have to think up other uses for such a sizable member. Let me think on it a while. I'll come up with something. :shock:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Lsuoma wrote:

Thanks.

That's actually Diablo Lake in Whatcom County, in the foothills of the Cascades along SR-20 (N. Cascades Scenic Highway).
I have driven through the Cascades a few times. Beautiful country. One day back in 2001 I was driving back home through Concrete WA at 1am in the morning and got dinged with a 128$ speeding ticket because I was doing 60 in a school zone. Cuz we all know...school is often in session at 1am on a sunday morning. GRRR. Fucking speed trap!

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Saw John Brown post a screen shot of this on Twatter and I decided to find the original, but the screen shot actually showed the whole post, so here:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... b9b0df.png

The funniest/saddest[?] part is that I think whoever wrote this is dead serious.

"Non-human comrades"? "Human privilege"? Einstein was right. Human stupidity might just be infinite...

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Geez! :lol:
And in response;
*mimics cat growl*

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Watch this video for Lucy Spraggan's song "Mountains" and tell me if anything...unusual...strikes you about it. I'll give you a hint: I wouldn't be surprised if this video gets SJWs up in arms.

[youtube]fuYuuF_JyKM[/youtube]

RandomPrick

Post by RandomPrick »

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rockbeyond ... -yourself/

One post previous from his "only a sith post" is this little gem. Much like us ex-fundamentalist christians, it seems that ex-FTB members have the deepest understanding of and hatred for their old pals. :p

I never cease to be amazed by the number of FTB posters in comments who claim that "by reserving judgement, you are choosing Shermer's side." Just... What is going on in their brains? Are they on drugs? It's like the part of their brain that would be activated when watching "Perry Mason" reruns has shriveled up and died from lack of use.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

JackRayner wrote:Geez! :lol:

[.tweet][/tweet]

And in response;

[.tweet][/tweet]
[.tweet][/tweet]

*mimics cat growl*
Since Stooly Amy has absolutely no sense of humor, one can assume that was a rather forced response in order to show Mayhew how that bothered her oh so not at all hahaha lol lol. But I'm guessing she's crying like she encountered another vicious T-shirt.

Quiz

Post by Quiz »

looks like Thunderf00t finally made anther why do people laugh at creationist.

windy

Post by windy »

ThePrussian wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
There isn't an overpopulation problem and there never was.
My sources say we exceeded the Earth's carrying capacity no later than c. 1985. What's your estimate for the sustainable global population?
If you mean what is the theoretical upper maximum for human beings to live well and comfortably on this earth, in terms of raw energy and food requirements, I have seen papers showing that it can handle a trillion human beings. Granted that would mean a significant amount of change, but change is what we do.

It's a moot point. We are not getting to that stage, and no one thinks we will. So, let's drop it down a bit further. 100 billion? Again, could be done, though it would be tricky. Once again, no one believes we'll get there.

The scenarios for human replacement level population range between 6.7 billion and 10 billion (roughly) - stats culled from the UN and Al Gore, respectively. That is very easily doable. What are the requirements for people to live comfortably. Well, energy, food, water, place to live, meaningful employment.
Those estimates are predicated on human fertility rates decreasing to replacement levels across the globe within this century.

And you seem to concede here that providing most people with a comfortable life will be easier the sooner human population stabilizes, which was pretty much my point all along.
ThePrussian wrote:
Birth rates go down as wealth goes up, to the point that what we in Europe have is a serious lack of a replacement population.
You imply that Europe was at its optimal population before its recent dip into NPG -- is that your assessment? Also, give some examples of the negative effects of this "serious lack of replacement".

Entire villages are vanishing due to lack of people and you can hardly read a serious magazine or newspaper worrying about having to pay for an aging population that cannot work and is still fed by the wellfare state. Just look at the disaster that China's insane "one child policy" has brought it.

The "lack of people" in villages is because agriculture has become more effective, and there is no need for as many people to live out in the sticks anymore. Europe's population is currently much, much larger than when those villages were first inhabited.

And the demographic transition is what every country will have to deal with sooner or later, whenever their population growth slows down. There are certainly worries about aging populations, but the alternative is a Ponzi scheme that requires indefinite population growth. If you can imagine technological solutions to comfortably house and feed 100 billion people on the planet, surely it should be easy to imagine some solutions to the increase in dependency ratios?

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

codelette wrote:

I think he called Sarah Jones a "fuckbag". :lol:
He called oolon AND Sarah Jones "fuckbags". A single time, in a single tweet.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

JackRayner wrote:Geez! :lol:
And in response;
*mimics cat growl*
So with all the fuss they made over elevatorgate, Benson is keeps "monitoring" Mayhew and everyone else she doesn't like?
:o

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Gumby said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 84#p123184):
I'm guessing she's crying like she encountered another vicious T-shirt.
Well, I don't know Gumbers. It was a pretty stupid oversight on Mayhew's part. I mean, really, "naval gassing"? C'mon Mayhew, that's grade school oversight, that is. And she blames it on her phone?!? Pfft.

I cringed when I saw it, and knew right away that it would provide somewhat legitimate fodder for ridicule.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

I do. I can honestly say I hate Rebecca Watson. In second place would be Greta Christina followed by PZ Myers (although, they probably tie for second place really). I hate them because they're despicable people that use their own insecurities to be truly awful to other people.

Fuck them.
On a personal level, I hate the individuals who have intentionally fomented this SJW bullshit- so yeah, Myers, Watson, maybe Christina.

On the other hand,I don't hate their shock troopers- I frankly feel bad that they've been so manipulated. McCreight, for example, strikes me as someone with mostly good intentions who's gotten caught up in the SJW cult.

Thibeault evokes a sort of mild disgust, like looking at dogshit smeared on my shoe.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

It's a 'Shop, but so beautifully done it needs to get spread around. Note for non-Britishers: this is like having a photo of Betty White pulling off Regis Philbin. A bit.

http://i.imgur.com/ykqLdRk.jpg

Original is clearly NSFW:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSh25xVIEAAZD6F.jpg:large

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

yomomma wrote:
welch wrote:
For SOME people it does. For others, it does not. The entire "Atheism leads to <ideals "I" find good> thing is projection. In and of itself, Atheism leads to not believing in deities. It doesn't even lead to not believing in the supernatural.

If people were to stop trying to make Atheism the gateway to whatever beliefs they, as Atheists, find "good", they'd probably be a lot less annoyed by the "bad" Atheists.
Yep. One thing that many *skeptical* Atheists fail to recognize is that NOT all Atheists are even skeptical. I just assumed they were until I met a sizable lot of them on the internets, who weren't. Further, just because I can identify with skeptical Atheists and call myself one, doesn't mean I hold the same core values as other skeptical Atheists.

I once argued with a feminist who told me that skeptics are of such a higher enlightenment and understanding of the world, that it automatically gives one special insight into the social injustices we face and if I couldn't recognize those social injustices the same way she could, I was just not enlightened or educated enough. She claimed that I still had work to do in becoming a true critical thinker because the two are synonymous.

If that's true, I'll remain stagnant in my critical thinking skills, cuz according to her, if I become better at it, I will come full circle and become a true believer. IMO, once you cross that threshold of extremism, you become what you originally detested on the other side.
Were her initials S.S? Not that I'm godwinning anyone.

windy

Post by windy »

JackRayner wrote: http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... b9b0df.png

The funniest/saddest[?] part is that I think whoever wrote this is dead serious.
"All Creatures Great and Small" is a rape manual!

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Cunning Punt wrote:
I honestly don't remember. She was holding court through 5k+ worth of comments on RW's Slate article, "It stands to reason, Skeptics can be skeptics too."

Whoever it was, she definitely doesn't have a job. I don't think she left her computer for a month, protecting RW with her delusional logic.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

LOL, that was supposed to be "sketpics can be sexists too", although I like my title better.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

John Greg wrote:Gumby said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 84#p123184):
I'm guessing she's crying like she encountered another vicious T-shirt.
Well, I don't know Gumbers. It was a pretty stupid oversight on Mayhew's part. I mean, really, "naval gassing"? C'mon Mayhew, that's grade school oversight, that is. And she blames it on her phone?!? Pfft.

I cringed when I saw it, and knew right away that it would provide somewhat legitimate fodder for ridicule.
There's whole sites dedicated to phone autocorrect doozies. They happen. Given that, the fact Mayhew is a bright person, and the fact that Benson and her pals gleefully pounce on stupid little shit like that and proclaim it means the person they don't like IS TEH STOOPID, I'm inclined to give Mayhew the benefit of the doubt. Besides, even if she did balls it up, who the fuck cares. It's not ammo to anyone but dregs like Ophelia Benson and Surly Amy. At most it's worth a giggle and then let's move the fuck on.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

windy wrote:
JackRayner wrote: [.img]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x17/ ... b9b0df.png[/img]

"All Creatures Great and Small" is a rape manual!
I loved those books, but they really did seem massively embellished.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

"... the fact that Benson and her pals gleefully pounce on stupid little shit like that and proclaim it means the person they don't like IS TEH STOOPID, I'm inclined to give Mayhew the benefit of the doubt."

Point.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

ThePrussian wrote:I was thinking in that case of all the big-name worriers: Malthus, Ehrlich and others of that ilk.
There you go again, trying to damn present-day concerns with guilt-by-association of past individuals. Fuck Ehrlich.

In terms of the hard science, I go by what I see published in journals - when they have hard facts to back things up.
Links? (Don't bother if it's just the Cato Institute.)

That statement contains so many undefined variables that I don't know where to even begin. What is "sustainable"? Sustainable for whom? Under what assumptions of tech level and what political organisation?

Sustainable for the Earth. Assuming current tech and political conditions. (a.k.a, "the real world.")

I have seen papers showing that it can handle a trillion human beings. Granted that would mean a significant amount of change, but change is what we do.... 100 billion?
Note to Prussian: Popular Mechanics is not a serious science journal.

As regards energy, we keep finding new ways to exploit old resources, and also new ones. Minor example: nuclear power is the cleanest and safest form of power, yet we have not even begun to use its full potential.
Define "clean"; define "safe". Then google "Fukushima." Solar & wind & tidal are super clean & safe. Ever heard of those?

Food? GM engineering has already lead one man to save a billion lives from starvation.
Have they GM'd a food that creates its own nutrients?
Water? Entire oceans of the stuff (one example) and new water purification methods are developed every day.

Cool! How many of these daily new purification methods have gone online? What are their energy requirements? Oh, and how much water do 100 billion humans use in a year?
Space? Have you seen how much free space is available throughout the new worldand across the swathe of greater Europe?
It's so weird that humans have never before moved into all this prime real estate. I can't for the life of me think of why.

... you can hardly read a serious magazine or newspaper worrying about having to pay for an aging population that cannot work and is still fed by the wellfare state.
That has to be one of the dumbest fucking arguments around. 'Hey, we need someone to take care of oma & opa during the last few years of their life, so let's make lots of babies, who we'll have to take care of until they grow up!' It just doesn't add up. Take the hit now, and when the 'bulge' of old people die off, the population age distribution will be restored.

On the contrary, with wealth comes the necessary power over nature required to fix various messess. You think carbon capture technology, desalination technology, GM technology comes cheaply?
Still working the kinks out of those, aren't we? You want a cheap, proven technology to solve this problem? Condoms.
Incidentally, it is that line that I find the most odious. "Oh we cannot let all those poor people become as rich as us - it would be Bad For The Planet! (TM)". That is a) grotesquely immoral and b) utter bullshit. If you want a clean country, fill it with rich people.
Save your faux PC hysterics. Americans are by far the worst devourers of resources. But the Chinese & others are catching up. We all need to reduce our consumption -- or our population.

As a species we do not, primarily, "consume" - that comes after. We produce. You cannot consume that which hasn't been produced. Liberate people from the shackles of superstition and tyranny, and let them use their reason in a free socity - and you will not have to worry about production.
You call yourself "the Prussian", but you sound more like an Austrian to me. What the fuck do you think we "produce" things out of? Resources -- minerals, water, trees, energy. All those resources are either fixed or of limited renewability. We currently have no solution for when fixed resources -- primarily oil -- are used up, and our 7 billion at whatever average economic-tech level are depleting the other resources 3x faster than they can be replenished.

Lacking from your apologies for infinite expansion are two key points. First, all these miracles of technological advancement that have so far staved off Malthusean collapse come at a cost. To keep up with exploding population, we are using up resources and carrying capacity. Agriculture in China has now extended to steep ground causing severe soil erosion. So the new fields are only good for a few years, then ruined permanently. India can barely scrounge enough drinking water to survive. In America, aquifers in Florida and the Southwest have been denuded, thus ruining them permanently. Los Angeles and the farms of the Central (California) Valley can only expand by draining water from the ecosystems of Nor Cal. Your amazing science solutions (sic) are nothing more than robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Second, at no point does anyone question why we need to keep expanding our population. What value does it have? If you want to end poverty, reduce the population in half. Then every person would have twice as much stuff. We're supposed to come up with all these new technologies -- most of which, like carbon sequestration, are still stuck on the drawing board -- but for some reason, we are too fucking inept to achieve the simplest, low tech solution: family planning. Re. energy, we have proven, ready technologies, namely, solar, wind and tidal, that could meet all our existing energy needs. Spain now produces more solar than the entire US, Germany & tiny Denmark more wind.

Family planning, social reform, and renewable energy, along with a modicum of reduction in consumption, is the real solution. All I hear from you is the inevitability of population growth, to be solved by miraculous Wunder Waffen just around the corner.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I'm just rewatching the entire All Creatures ... series this month. Light-weight, pleasant stuff. Takes me back to my youth, both in terms of the age of the program, and in the fact that I spent many years living and working on a farm in the Ottawa Valley -- hot, hot summers; cold, cold winters.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:It's a 'Shop, but so beautifully done it needs to get spread around. Note for non-Britishers: this is like having a photo of Betty White pulling off Regis Philbin. A bit.

http://i.imgur.com/ykqLdRk.jpg

Original is clearly NSFW:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BSh25xVIEAAZD6F.jpg:large
:laughing-rolling:

Who's supposed to be taking the photo, though? Philip Schofield?

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

In RE: to the whole days-old overpopulation debate: :popcorn:

...oh. Wait. My bad! Wrong smiley. Here's the one I meant to use: :puke-huge:

Wouldn't you guys rather be arguing about the Zimmerman trial verdict? :mrgreen:

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

yomomma wrote:
Cunning Punt wrote:
I honestly don't remember. She was holding court through 5k+ worth of comments on RW's Slate article, "It stands to reason, Skeptics can be skeptics too."

Whoever it was, she definitely doesn't have a job. I don't think she left her computer for a month, protecting RW with her delusional logic.
Sounds like our Sally.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

John Greg wrote:I'm just rewatching the entire All Creatures ... series this month. Light-weight, pleasant stuff. Takes me back to my youth, both in terms of the age of the program, and in the fact that I spent many years living and working on a farm in the Ottawa Valley -- hot, hot summers; cold, cold winters.
Did you fist any cows? ' Cause that's the same as rape.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

another lurker wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Tell that to the Amakalites.
Aw, the Amalekites. Yeah, you spelled it wrong! Don't worry, I went around spelling it like that for an entire week!.
I've prayed on the matter, and I realize now that my lysdexia is a blessing in disguise given to me from Dog.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Cunning Punt wrote: Did you fist any cows? ' Cause that's the same as rape.
Herp a derp, I see I was behind the curve. I blame my hangover.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

bovarchist wrote:Watch this video for Lucy Spraggan's song "Mountains" and tell me if anything...unusual...strikes you about it. I'll give you a hint: I wouldn't be surprised if this video gets SJWs up in arms.

[youtube]fuYuuF_JyKM[/youtube]
I'm sure I've missed about a hundred answers / things they'd sook about:
1) it showed people overcoming obstacles to success, instead of sitting around moaning.
2) the people in the video had actual obstacles to overcome that could be defined (no invisible forces involved).
3) white kid getting picked on by black kids.
4) hang on, the heroes were all white
5) archetype business man (or whatever he was supposed to be) had to try really hard to get where he was going too.
6) the guitar case was full of rohypnol.

I really like soppy positive songs like that. Here is an Australian equivalent:
[youtube]gf0qu3EAfTY[/youtube]

The SJWs won't like that one either, because the lyrical content is about coming of age / taking control of your own destiny / responsibility.

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

Jen McFool says "Power differential muddies consent". In the brizzaro world-view of the SJW monkey hoard, all interactions must be based on some power differential. So, whenever two people date or even marry, one of them, the more powerful can never get "enthusiastic consent" and hence must be a rapist. Hence, every one of us is either a rapist or being raped. Here are three scenarios, all based on real life examples, that highlight the logical end-product of such thinking

1) A highly educated well-to-do guy, making 100K+ goes on a dating site. He finds a nice girl, a graduate student. He thinks she looks cute and also seems very smart. So he chats her up and they date. Now, the girl makes very little and lives a student life. The guy has a house, a luxury car and can obviously afford things the girl can not. Hence, this makes him a rapist as the girl is unable to give enthusiastic consent due to the financial power differential.

2) A non-white man meets and falls in love with a white woman. The man is from a very poor background, but is doing well for himself now. The girl is from a well-to-do family, has studied at top schools and makes a bit more money than the man. In this case, the girl must be a rapist as the man, being from an oppressed class and from a poor background is unable to consent enthusiastically. Of course, one can also view the man, by his sex alone, irrespective of the race of the girl, is a rapist as men are always more powerful and no woman can give enthusiastic consent.

3) A man and woman, same race and same social strata meet, date and even marry. The man in this case must be a rapist as his sex by default makes him powerful and the woman, being oppressed, can not give enthusiastic consent.

Meanwhile, in the real world we have real cases of assault and rape: for example, just this week, in India, a female journalist was brutally gang raped in front of her male friend. And, in other cases, women were forced into unhappy marriages, girls have had FGM performed on them and some mullah or bishop somewhere, in a sermon, has said that a woman's place is in the corner of the house. Of course, our SJW monkey hoard are not interested. After all, it feels good to feel oppressed, irrespective of reality, or get the adrenaline rush in pretending to fight for social justice. Notice, pretending is all that is needed. These monkeys are after the feel-good rush and not in making in any actual difference.

What we see here is not a schism, but the start of a new religion, one based on strange notions of social constructivism and radical liberalism gone wild. Michel Foucault and other constipated faux-philosophers like Jacques Derrida are the new prophets. PZ, Christina, Watson et. al. are the screeching monkeys who have whole-heartedly accepted the New Message, and are on the war-path to convert all of us to this world-view. God help us.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

JackRayner wrote:
Søren Lilholt wrote:
JackRayner wrote: LOLz! I think you should define what you mean by that, because in many ways, I believe humanity, and this "intelligence" we've ended up with, is a bad joke. We are very much "special", but I don't see how our experience has any value, other than when viewed through the lens of self-centered human subjectivity.
That sounds very much like the standard religious mindset (i.e. "my life can only have meaning if I am a marionette of Yahweh/Allah/Vishnu etc").
*reading what I wrote again*....*reading it a few more times to be sure*

Nope. Doesn't sound like that at all. Care to share how you've taken what I wrote and arrived at such a strange conclusion?
The notion that our experience has no intrinsic value, outside of our own human-centric worldview, is integral to the religious impulse - i.e. "the universe has no meaning so we better make something up...waaah!".

A diamond has incidental value as a currency because, for whatever reason, we've decided that it does. So yes, when the human race goes extinct, the 'value' of diamonds will go with us. But the value of human experience - and cogniscent beings in general - is different: our existence is intrinsically valuable by virtue of the fact we are here to ascribe to value it. What, in the universe, can possibly be more valuable and meaningful than that?

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Cunning Punt asked (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 03#p123203):
Did you fist any cows? 'Cause that's the same as rape.
Nah. Didn't rape any cows; left that to our vets. Cow-rapers extraordinaire, they were.

I did, however, feed hamburger and ground chicken, mixed with grain and chocolate, to both some cows and some chickens to prove to a head-in-the-clouds woomeister friend who insisted that farm animnals, well, all "vegetarian" animals actually, can tell people who eat meat apart from people who don't eat meat, and will run away from meat-eaters and shun them, and, of course, will also run away from meat and never ever under any circumstances eat from a meat-tainted trough, let alone eat meat itself.

Like many woomesiters, he had no idea what to say, and basically just kind of pretended it hadn't happened.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Jesus, it looks like Ophie's down to telling fart jokes now: http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... take-that/

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Lacking from your apologies for infinite expansion are two key points. First, all these miracles of technological advancement that have so far staved off Malthusean collapse come at a cost. To keep up with exploding population, we are using up resources and carrying capacity. Agriculture in China has now extended to steep ground causing severe soil erosion. So the new fields are only good for a few years, then ruined permanently. India can barely scrounge enough drinking water to survive. In America, aquifers in Florida and the Southwest have been denuded, thus ruining them permanently. Los Angeles and the farms of the Central (California) Valley can only expand by draining water from the ecosystems of Nor Cal. Your amazing science solutions (sic) are nothing more than robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Pfft...future scientists will figure it all out...as long as they aren't aborted, or prevented from existing by evil westerners forcing condoms and the bc pill on them!!?!

Your barely concealed Nazism disgusts me Matt...<shakes fist angrily>

acathode

Post by acathode »

Tribble wrote:What I find amazing is how fucking small and limited it is: Student Population: 1,932; Undergraduate Population: 1,932. I've never been to a University that small in my life, even the community colleges I've gone to have been far, far larger.
Wow I completely missed that part. Really, those numbers.... I must be missing something? A town with barely 5k population have a university? Not even 2000 students? What?! I know that people have been talking about how rural and small Myers' university is, but still, I always assumed that since it was a university, it was still a fairly big place with some serious education going on. Do the US have some completely different standards for what's required to call a school a university, or what's going on?

I mean, hell, I basically live out in the forest in a neat little village with 100 or so people, in some VERY rural parts of Sweden, and the I took some extra courses recently in the really shitty "högskolan" ("collage" or "university collage"?) in my nearest, very small city. That school have something like 6-8.000 students, and that place is nowhere near getting granted the status of university. When I think of university, I think of a serious education center with at least 15-20.000 students, with serious science and research departments, real research, etc... 2000 students in a 5k town? That's like the town in my neighbor municipal a few miles away, and that's basically a few houses grouped up in the sticks. Takes maybe 30 mins to bike from end to end of that town... and that's kinda the size of the town where PZ Myers is king?

Big fish in a small pond doesn't even begin to cover it, he really truly isn't very much more than a glorified biology teacher? I mean, nothing wrong with being a teacher in a small town, that's how my mom makes a living... but still, how much of a scientist worshiping thing do you gotta have going before you go make PZ into one of your heroes? Propping him up besides Dawkins... no wonder he got such a inferiority complex going on.

windy

Post by windy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
As a species we do not, primarily, "consume" - that comes after. We produce. You cannot consume that which hasn't been produced. Liberate people from the shackles of superstition and tyranny, and let them use their reason in a free socity - and you will not have to worry about production.
You call yourself "the Prussian", but you sound more like an Austrian to me.
:lol:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Second, at no point does anyone question why we need to keep expanding our population. What value does it have? If you want to end poverty, reduce the population in half. Then every person would have twice as much stuff. We're supposed to come up with all these new technologies -- most of which, like carbon sequestration, are still stuck on the drawing board -- but for some reason, we are too fucking inept to achieve the simplest, low tech solution: family planning. Re. energy, we have proven, ready technologies, namely, solar, wind and tidal, that could meet all our existing energy needs. Spain now produces more solar than the entire US, Germany & tiny Denmark more wind.
"but what if overpopulation is a big hoax and we create a better world for nothing?"
http://www.mamieyoung.com/dailydawdle/C ... othing.jpg