Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Skep tickle

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Skep tickle »

uberfeminist wrote:Ugh.

So she's claiming that someone has "threatened her job" because she was banned from RBB FB page and someone told her if she kept it up her boss at AU would know about it.

Then she's linking Justin from RBB if she knows all the "mean" stuff Ellen said to her.

And... she's claiming to suffer from PTSD.

Read her Twitter feed. It's passive aggressive, sarcastic, leading questions, accusations, calls for dismissal...

Bet: First round draft pick for Atheism+. Most promising person since Julia.
Oof. Justin Griffith has been trying to apologize or at least limit damage:
http://i.imgur.com/9fQTgQP.png?1
however her twitter feed (as of the last hour) & her last blog post suggest she's not in a mood to accept apologies (groveling perhaps, but not apologies):
https://twitter.com/onesarahjones
http://anthonybsusan.wordpress.com/2013 ... -a-primer/

KiwiInOz

I don't have a thing to wear

Post by KiwiInOz »

Hey you Northern Hemisphere types. I hate to distract you from all of the cool stuff going on; but I need some advice from the fashionistas in check tights.

I'm planning a trip to Norway next January/February to see the Northern lights, play with some polar beers, make snow angels, molest a few reindeeer etc.

Now, I know that it will be winter (and dark). It's winter here in Brisbane at the moment and I've been mucking around in shorts and a t shirt (with jandals to keep the snakes away). I think that it is safe to assume that this is not the sort of gear that will see me live long in the Arctic circle.

Can someone advise me on this layering business, and what one really should wear while on a Hurtigruten cruise or walking around Tromso?

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Skep tickle wrote:
Justin wrote:Sorry assuming you're military
LMFAO ... that had me cracking up!!!!!!

"My stress came from having my buddies blown up by an IED next to me ... how did yours come about?"

"I had someone on Twitter call me a bad name"

:lol:

DeepInsideYourMind

Re: I don't have a thing to wear

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

KiwiInOz wrote:Hey you Northern Hemisphere types. I hate to distract you from all of the cool stuff going on; but I need some advice from the fashionistas in check tights.

I'm planning a trip to Norway next January/February to see the Northern lights, play with some polar beers, make snow angels, molest a few reindeeer etc.

Now, I know that it will be winter (and dark). It's winter here in Brisbane at the moment and I've been mucking around in shorts and a t shirt (with jandals to keep the snakes away). I think that it is safe to assume that this is not the sort of gear that will see me live long in the Arctic circle.

Can someone advise me on this layering business, and what one really should wear while on a Hurtigruten cruise or walking around Tromso?
Jan/Fed in Norway ... ummm yeah no shorts! http://met.no/English/Climate_in_Norway/
Temperatures below -40 °C are moreover not unusual in the inner districts of Troms county and the inner districts of Østlandet, even if this does not happen each winter.
You may not need to cope with -40, but be prepared to cope with sub-zero if you are intending to be outside a lot, and if you are staying out at night .... brrrrrrr

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
You may not need to cope with -40, but be prepared to cope with sub-zero if you are intending to be outside a lot, and if you are staying out at night .... brrrrrrr
"First one, then t'other."

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Pitchguest wrote:Lousy has a topic up on the Ada Initiative, where he addresses his ego being stroked when they mentioned his name in a tweet - denigrating Dawkins in the process.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/lousycanuck ... mmunities/

Indeed. The Ada Initiative sure does recognise the feminist fight. :roll:
Yeah, you can start with http://adainitiative.org/ for some hints as to where they stand.

Atheism/skepticism conferences have apparently been a Special Project of the Ada Initiative:
http://adainitiative.org/2013/08/confer ... /#skeptics
History of the skepticism and atheism campaign

The big picture: In 2010, few or no conferences have policies. Serial sexual assaulters and outright rapists are common enough that women speakers have an informal network to warn each other about them. Victims are too afraid to name or report their attackers. In 2013, most conventions have anti-harassment policies, many leaders vocally oppose harassment, and at least three high-profile serial harassers and assaulters have been publicly identified. However, many victims and advocates are still stalked, harassed, and threatened, and need continuing support from the community. Several accused harassers and assaulters have threatened legal action against those reporting them. In terms of stages of anti-harassment campaigns, skepticism/atheism is somewhere around Stage 6, despite the on-going efforts of abusers to hang on to their positions and privileges in the community.
(links as in the original; note that 1st & 3rd link go to the same geekfeminism.wiki page from which I've quoted below)

Comments:
1) The geekfeminism wiki page linked is helpful in demonstrating that Myers' claims about Shermer aren't being taken as "alleged", thanks the lawyers may be happy to see that:
On 8th August, PZ Myers published an account from an unnamed source of rape by The Skeptics Society founder Michael Shermer. ...

Documentation: PZ Myers publishes an account from an unnamed source of Michael Shermer raping a conference attendee
2) Ada claims there are 7 "Stages of conference anti-harassment campaigns" ending with (bolding as in original):
Stage 7: Conferences become more awesome: more fun, more creative, and more productive. They are a safer and more welcoming space for women, people of color, LGBTQ folks, people with disabilities, and many others. New people of all sorts begin joining the community. Serial harassers leave on their own or don’t join in the first place. The bizarre concept of treating all humans with respect and dignity spreads to other areas in the community, such as online discussion, local meetups, and publications.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

KiwiInOz wrote:Hey you Northern Hemisphere types. I hate to distract you from all of the cool stuff going on; but I need some advice from the fashionistas in check tights.

PM Gefan, he's in Malta or somewhere now but Scandinavian (Norwegian, even, I think) in origin.

Basically, yeah, winter clothes; layers are helpful but you really do want stuff that can protect you in the coldest temperature you're likely to encounter. Think about keeping head (including face), torso, hands, legs, and feet warm.

Do you have some kind of an outdoor outfitter (similar to US's REI) you can get gear from?

(Anecdotes: I spent a bit of time at the arctic circle in Sweden & Russia in March of 2 different years, but it wasn't any colder than the Northwest US in winter, maybe I just got lucky. Also, I've camped [in mountains of NW US] one night in one winter years ago when the temperature may have dropped as low as -40 degrees, given that it was -25 degrees in town; that was a miserable experience & I cannnot recommend it.)

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
CommanderTuvok wrote:
lurkerking wrote:
I'd like you to imagine, for a moment, what Ophelia Benson would accuse anyone else of if they posted, anywhere at all, that Ophelia Benson "smells of fish."
She smells of "wet dog" and "moldy cheese".
I always thought she smelled like someone beat a skunk to death with a salmon.
No, that's Oscar's homemade beer.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Watcher in the Water wrote:Has this been posted yet? A Legal Defense fund for Michael Shermer!! :D

Yep, we're all in the know on that.

BTW, totally OT, but that avatar of Homer's skull and PZ hat inside it (or whatever it's supposed to be) must be the default avatar for people who are too lazy to download a unique avatar and it really bothers me because it's hard to tell the difference between people. There. I have spoken my peace on that.

Carry on.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Trigger warning: An emotional account of almost-rape, "sex eyes" and pungent cologne.

[youtube]pJI4fWYRPLM[/youtube]

So, which one of you utter bastards is Buckley?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Skep tickle wrote:

So she's claiming that someone has "threatened her job" because she was banned from RBB FB page and someone told her if she kept it up her boss at AU would know about it.

Then she's linking Justin from RBB if she knows all the "mean" stuff Ellen said to her.

Read her Twitter feed. It's passive aggressive, sarcastic, leading questions, accusations, calls for dismissal...

however her twitter feed (as of the last hour) & her last blog post suggest she's not in a mood to accept apologies (groveling perhaps, but not apologies):
Going to the website has no record of military service, not that that means she didn't serve, but I have to wonder if she did - from what I've seen, a lot of the SJWs are pretty dismissive or against military service. Not all, by any means, but quite a few have made statements denigrating it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

KiwiInOz wrote:I'm planning a trip to Norway next January/February to see the Northern lights, play with some polar beers, make snow angels, molest a few reindeeer etc.

blueswede.jpg
(159.22 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

KenD

Post by KenD »

Skep tickle wrote:Yeah, you can start with http://adainitiative.org/ for some hints as to where they stand.
Even if I hadn't heard what they did to Violet Blue, or seen any of the the rest of their bullshit, I think these two tweets would tell me everything I needed to know about the Ada Initiative:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

clownshoe wrote:
Watcher in the Water wrote:Has this been posted yet? A Legal Defense fund for Michael Shermer!! :D

Yes, but it makes us smile every single time. :)
However, I still haz sad that none of the "Bigger name A+ers" has posted a link to the indiegogo fundraiser to send someone from atheism plus to Skepticon. :(

Both the atheism plusser to Skepticon fundraiser and the Shermer Legal Fund fundraiser were started 5 days ago.

The Atheism Plus fundraiser got 6 donations on its first day, totaling $270...then zero donations since. :(

Whereas the Shermer fundraiser has received 47 donations totaling $1545, starting 5 days ago and continuing.

I'm not asking anyone from here to donate to the atheism plus fundraiser, but I AM wondering why noone from FtB has seen fit to publicize the help-an-A+er-attend-Skepticon fundraiser. C'mon PZ, or Greta, or Jen, or someone from FtB or Skepchicks - surely this is a cause you can throw your weight behind?!

Post by Guest »

How about a layering guide in Norwegian?

No?

Look, if you're mostly going to be strolling along in a city or be on a boat you're not going to need some in depth guide. Layering is just that; have multiple layers of clothes ideally all over your body. Thinner inner layers (cotton) and thicker outer layers (wool, down, synthetics). You regulate temperature by taking off clothes according to the situation. At least 3 layers top, you'll probably want some thermo underwear.
The most critical will probably be extremities, have nice boots, double up your socks, wear good gloves.

Weather could be a serious issue, you don't want to be wet and cold. Have rain protective gear with you, if not on you.

More in depth guide: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g19 ... .Gear.html

uberfeminist

Post by uberfeminist »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Justin wrote:Sorry assuming you're military
LMFAO ... that had me cracking up!!!!!!

"My stress came from having my buddies blown up by an IED next to me ... how did yours come about?"

"I had someone on Twitter call me a bad name"

Technically Sarah is not claiming to PTSD from events on Twitter. (AFAIK) It could be another event that caused trauma. Hensley is for now the only one that seems to link PTSD with online interactions.

So, it could be something genuinely horrible happened and therefore this person deserves some room.

However that doesn't give anyone a free snark pass on Twitter.

Countless people on Twitter are opinionated jerks first, then if you challenge them even slightly they'll come out with a story of depression, mental illness, suicide attempts, etc. Then everyone owes them a note about how courageous they are for being on Twitter.

It's very tiresome. Twitter is a ridiculous place.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Guest wrote:...Thinner inner layers (cotton) and thicker outer layers (wool, down, synthetics)...
Beware of cotton. When wet, it loses its ability to insulate. Synthetics or silk (mmm) or wool (if you can stand it) for innermost layer.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

I did Norway/Svalbard/Arctic shit a few years ago. Recommend you wear thermals (top and bottom), a good fleece top and then over that a proper insulated jacket or a rain jacket depending on the weather. Get some good trousers and some water proof ones so you can alternate. (I mean for day to day jeans aren't bad but not FASHIONABLY RIPPED ONES and make sure you can get thermals on underneath just in case.) Of course it depends how much you're doing and if you're going hiking about or wandering in the snow/glacier poking/fjord watching etc. You should get some wellies with a warm interior (you can hire them from Kathmandu (the shop) or a ski shop I think).

In Tromso I went around in thermals and a fleece because fuck people who think you need to wear pants AM I RITE GUYZ.

Also watch the fuck out for reindeer, those fuckers are all over the roads. It's not like Australia where they're like, oh noes watch out for kangaroos on the roads, reindeer are like all the fuck over the roads. You may have to get out of your car and be all fuck off reindeer get the fuck out of the road.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Skep tickle wrote:I'm not asking anyone from here to donate to the atheism plus fundraiser, but I AM wondering why noone from FtB has seen fit to publicize the help-an-A+er-attend-Skepticon fundraiser. C'mon PZ, or Greta, or Jen, or someone from FtB or Skepchicks - surely this is a cause you can throw your weight behind?!
It could suggest that they've actually read A+ and the idea of having an A+er in their midst is... worrisome.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

KenD wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Yeah, you can start with http://adainitiative.org/ for some hints as to where they stand.
Even if I hadn't heard what they did to Violet Blue, or seen any of the the rest of their bullshit, I think these two tweets would tell me everything I needed to know about the Ada Initiative:

[ tweet ] [ /tweet ]

[ tweet ] [ /tweet ]
A tweeter "@Misesere22" replied to Myers' comment about his daughter w/ a completely uncalled-for comment about her, RT'd here by Myers:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Skep tickle wrote:

:o

I don't know why, but I started reading Sarah Jones' twitter feed - and I kept reading it. Is it possible she can be more willfully obtuse?

She's getting corrected one time, two times, three times, twenty times, how she misunderstood the situation with Paul and how she took it personal. The 'fuckbag' comment was in reference to the turd; the bragging was in reference to the turd; the trolling was in reference to the turd. Basically, all was in reference the slimy turd formerly known as oolon. Yet after all that time, she's still insisting that Paul 'trolled' her, and that Paul called her names.

Is she completely bonkers? She's also the one who had a fit about getting a death threat from a loony who thought he was an engineered super soldier on Al's blog, and then later denigrated Al for dealing with it in a way she didn't approve (he deleted the comments and issued a public apology) and when he did, she denigrated him for not dealing with it quickly enough. From her tweets, she seems utterly unhinged. She claims she has PTSD. The same PTSD that Melody suffers from? Oh, and then there's the fact that she said another woman was '[bitching]'. (The exact words were, "And you people bitch about censorship.")

Oh, and this:
M.A. Melby is there defending her, funeral parlor Josh is there, Melody is there. Evidently their hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Justin was a star through the whole thing. Kept his composure, and generally tried to resolve the situation like a decent person. His effort was thwarted, however, by a self-absorbed harpy with delusions of grandeur, but I digress. It also grates on me how she's closing the deal, which she started by the way (for thinking the world revolves around her), by saying it was a "coordinated trolling campaign." Good lord, woman. Get help.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Franc just tweeted out a link to this video, posted on youtube a couple of days ago (I didn't see a link already here; might have missed it):
[youtube]J2h4vITidvo[/youtube]

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Pitchguest wrote:...Justin was a star through the whole thing. Kept his composure, and generally tried to resolve the situation like a decent person. His effort was thwarted, however, by a self-absorbed harpy with delusions of grandeur, but I digress. It also grates on me how she's closing the deal, which she started by the way (for thinking the world revolves around her), by saying it was a "coordinated trolling campaign." ...
Loebe apparently deleted the initial snowball that set off the avalanche (the "fuckbag" tweet), but whatshername (Kim somebody?) tweeted out a copy of it for posterity's sake.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Thanks all for the tips on layering etc.

I have been watching "Vikings" on SBS, but figure that thermal wear has come on a bit since then. Still, a good sword and a Shield Maiden in thigh high boots never go out of fashion.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... 0x276.jpeg

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Yes, OF COURSE, who could ever think that those primitive Indians could ever actually become self-sufficient. Obviously without the guiding hand of people like Ehrlich and his population control advocacy they could never achieve any sort of stability or economic success. When I see and hear people talking about Africa and it's populations as some sort of lost cause, all it is is echoes to me. Echoes of the same things that were said about Ireland by Malthus, about India by Ehrlich, or any other dozens of examples by the Malthusians over the entire existence of their ideology. Chicken little bullshit is what is is.
The irony here is that India's water resources are now so taxed that there are people talking about evacuating Bangalore in ten years, for example:

http://www.firstpost.com/india/will-ban ... 97649.html

"Chicken Little bullshit", eh?

Post by Guest »

LurkerPerson wrote:Incidentally John D, great video.
Hans Rosling is probably the kind of guy who thinks a country like India is on the path to success. He'd be wrong. (See above.)

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Zenspace wrote: Gefan, have you read Asimov's book on the 'intelligent aliens": ,Extraterrestrial Civilizations'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraterre ... ons_(book)

Highly recommended if you haven't.
I have not.
Particular thanks for the suggestion, since I am now on the last of the books I took with me when leaving the US. I'll be more than glad to add Extraterrestrial Civilizations to the bulk order for Amazon UK that's developing in my phone.
A quick perusal of some summaries suggest it's an elaboration on the Drake Equation. What's immediately noticeable to me is how much more we know since the book was written in the 1970s (in particular in re the progress made in discovering extra-solar planets, and understanding planet formation).
Anyway, I'll be particularly interested in reading Asimov's thoughts on the Fermi Paradox.
Thanks again for the tip!

Keating

Post by Keating »

KiwiInOz wrote:Thanks all for the tips on layering etc.
I find Brisbane way too hot most of the year, however I have been in even a place as mild as London in the middle of winter wearing three layers (undershirt, thick polo top, reasonably thick jacket) and feeling the cold wind pass right through them like I was naked. Cold places are freakin cold, and particularly watch your nose and hands. On the other hand, even as I was shivering in my layers, I was seeing girls going to Christmas parties in thin evening dresses and bare legs. Probably something to do with the Patriarchy.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Re the Sarkeesian video above: interesting.

Her feminist cred did start before 2012, contrary to what the video says; her master's thesis was in 2010, however the idea that other people, particularly certain men, particularly Jonathan McIntosh, have shaped her as a feminist spokesperson is an interesting one.

Jonathan McIntosh & Anita Sarkeesian both have videos on Legos & gender; hers are from Jan 30 & Feb 5, 2012; his is from Feb 5, 2012.

He remixed clips from "Buffy" & "Twilight" to make a "Buffy versus Edward" video in 2009; whether or not it's "fair use" is the subject of the latest (1/2013) entry on his blog, http://www.rebelliouspixels.com/. It seems to be very dear to him.

In 2/2012, Sarkeesian announced on Feminist Frequency that she had "contributed a chapter to the anthology FANPIRES: Audience Consumption of the Modern Vampire...that [she] co-wrote with Jennifer Jenson entitled “Buffy vs. Bella: The Re-Emergence of the Archetypal Feminine in Vampire Stories” explor[ing] the differences between Buffy Summers from the popular TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Bella Swan from the Twilight saga."

Jennifer Jenson was her thesis advisor for her Master's in Social & Political Thought, per the front page of Sarkeesian's 2010 master's thesis, “I’ll Make a Man Out of You”, in the acknowledgements of which (p. 3) she thanks Jonathan McIntosh for "spending countless hours watching and critically analyzing television shows with me."

Wonder how much of her "tropes" videos are from her thesis advisor's work (I haven't scoured the literature to look). According to Jenson's website, Jenson:
is currently co-editor of Loading…:The Journal of the Canadian Game Studies Association and president of the Canadian Game Studies Association. ... She has just completed a 3-year study of gender and digital gameplay.... She has published widely on education, technology, gender, design and development of digital games, and technology policy.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

What you'll need are

1. Thick padded snow jacket.
2. Snow pants (these go on over your normal trousers)
3. Thick winter boots.

Here's mine:

http://i.imgur.com/AB20epz.jpg

You'll also need gloves and a hat.

While layers are important, I think you'll generally find that decent outer clothing is of such quality these days that it is unnecessary to layer up like the Michelin man in order to go outdoors in Scandinavia.

As someone who didn't originally come from cold climes the thing that hit me at first was that very cold temperatures can be tricky. Often the very cold spells have little wind and you don't feel that cold. However, the coldness will drain the heat from your body without you noticing, such that after an hour or so outdoors you'll find your body temperature has dropped and a real danger of hypothermia will arise.

My advice is to aim to divide your outdoor time into smaller chunks of half an hour to an hour, and retreat indoors to warm up between each session.

And despite polar bears looking cute, don't try to hug them.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

rayshul wrote:

I did Norway/Svalbard/Arctic shit a few years ago. Recommend you wear thermals (top and bottom), a good fleece top and then over that a proper insulated jacket or a rain jacket depending on the weather. Get some good trousers and some water proof ones so you can alternate. (I mean for day to day jeans aren't bad but not FASHIONABLY RIPPED ONES and make sure you can get thermals on underneath just in case.) Of course it depends how much you're doing and if you're going hiking about or wandering in the snow/glacier poking/fjord watching etc. You should get some wellies with a warm interior (you can hire them from Kathmandu (the shop) or a ski shop I think).

In Tromso I went around in thermals and a fleece because fuck people who think you need to wear pants AM I RITE GUYZ.

Also watch the fuck out for reindeer, those fuckers are all over the roads. It's not like Australia where they're like, oh noes watch out for kangaroos on the roads, reindeer are like all the fuck over the roads. You may have to get out of your car and be all fuck off reindeer get the fuck out of the road.
May I just also suggest a good scarf for windy days. It's surprising what a difference it can make.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Keating wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:Thanks all for the tips on layering etc.
I find Brisbane way too hot most of the year, however I have been in even a place as mild as London in the middle of winter wearing three layers (undershirt, thick polo top, reasonably thick jacket) and feeling the cold wind pass right through them like I was naked. Cold places are freakin cold, and particularly watch your nose and hands. On the other hand, even as I was shivering in my layers, I was seeing girls going to Christmas parties in thin evening dresses and bare legs. Probably something to do with the Patriarchy.
The coldest I have ever been was standing on the beach at Liverpool in jeans, t shirt and jacket. The girls were in mini skirts and crop tops. I could have done with a dose of that patriarchy. I may as well have been painted with wode.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

TedDahlberg wrote:May I just also suggest a good scarf for windy days. It's surprising what a difference it can make.
I got one of these motherfuckers - http://www.kathmandu.com.au/womens/acce ... black.html

My fleece neck gaiter brings all the boys to the yard ^_^

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

[youtube]jyoOfRog1EM[/youtube]

This seems especially relevant in light of these social justice warriors, Freethoughtblogs, PZ Myers and Atheism Plus, and how they react to all contrary views. Such people would do well to remember the danger of "safe spaces" in creating extremely stupid opinions. It's so easy to be pushed along to extremism by an overwhelming consensus, especially when you select against dissent with a policy of "ban first, apologize never."

Hitchens seems particularly prescient in light of the current Twitter situation.

https://twitter.com/PaulLoebe
https://twitter.com/rckbeyondbelief

Both of these accounts are now being targeted by the social justice heroes/heroines. At present, people are trying to remove them from their "positions of leadership" in the atheist community (always the same tune) and rockbeyondbelief has been added to the twitter blockbot. It won't be long before accusations of sexual misconduct come in, that's what they get for being born men and allowing their comments to be misinterpreted by fuckwits. :popcorn:

I haven't heard if anyone has started screaming for their twitter accounts to be banned, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happens.

And of course, earlier there was elevatorgate, who was actually silenced (not merely ignored) for his opinions. If organized religion is a primary source of hatred in the world (as hitchens contends), I wonder what he would think of atheists like these, who act every bit as religious as my old fundamentalist christian friends. Shit, my fundie friends were a lot nicer. :lol:

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

rayshul wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:I'm not asking anyone from here to donate to the atheism plus fundraiser, but I AM wondering why noone from FtB has seen fit to publicize the help-an-A+er-attend-Skepticon fundraiser. C'mon PZ, or Greta, or Jen, or someone from FtB or Skepchicks - surely this is a cause you can throw your weight behind?!
It could suggest that they've actually read A+ and the idea of having an A+er in their midst is... worrisome.
And that is why we want to send as many as possible.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Skep Tickle:
I'm not asking anyone from here to donate to the atheism plus fundraiser, but I AM wondering why noone from FtB has seen fit to publicize the help-an-A+er-attend-Skepticon fundraiser. C'mon PZ, or Greta, or Jen, or someone from FtB or Skepchicks - surely this is a cause you can throw your weight behind?!
Maybe it's because the "leaders" of A+ only care about one thing, themselves, and the trivial problems of the plebs in their fanbase are of no concern.

Maybe it;s because deep down they know what a vile and embarassing thing the Atheism+ turned into, and as such they ignore the crazies the way one might ignore their schizophrenic mom once she's been put away in the nursing home.

Maybe it's because they know that the A+ forum is filled with very broken and fragile people, who when triggered by every possible thing that exists in this world, would never, ever be able to handle the rigors of travel, in particular the violations and rape culture of the TSA checkpoint. Just imagine the patriarchal rape culture on display when an A+er has to sit in close proximity to other human beings inside a long, phallic, cylindrical tube. Imagine the PTSD and trigger warnings if that someone starts to talk to them! That person might not have properly Checked Their Privilege! That person might be the steward/stewardess, who would come up to these fragile little creatures and speak the most horrific of things ever!

They may ask them if they want coffee!
A tweeter "@Misesere22" replied to Myers' comment about his daughter w/ a completely uncalled-for comment about her, RT'd here by Myers:
So, has everyone on this site been blamed yet on one of the FTB blogs for the existence of that Tweet? It seems that every bad thing that gets said at one of those people is somehow our fault, like the Slymepit is the atheist blogosphere's own personal Satan.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news: Now both of those accounts show up as "protected". My funnybone is vibrating right now.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:

Now both of those accounts show up as "protected". My funnybone is vibrating right now.
Just out of curiosity, what did Sarah do to deserve the "fuckbag" insult?

I kind of got the impression it was part of a troll, although I expect the reasons might be a little more than that.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

I got bored and decided to draw a little "self portrait" inspired by this.

TRIGGER WARNING for navel gazing. :?

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/ ... 6jrpo5.png

Does anyone think I should add blood? :D

Post by Guest »

JackRayner wrote:I got bored and decided to draw a little "self portrait" inspired by this.

You just made Guro Chan happy.

But still, violence against women through demonic means an all that. Objectification, ammunition for the other side, rah rah.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Dick Strawkins wrote:What you'll need are

1. Thick padded snow jacket.
2. Snow pants (these go on over your normal trousers)
3. Thick winter boots.

Here's mine:

http://i.imgur.com/AB20epz.jpg
Far be it from me to thin-shame, but you could stand to gain a few pounds.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Steersman wrote:

Now both of those accounts show up as "protected". My funnybone is vibrating right now.

I kind of got the impression it was part of a troll, although I expect the reasons might be a little more than that.
I suspect it began with the incident that Al mentioned last week:

viewtopic.php?p=118302#p118302

I think sarah jones was being criticised for using an isolated incident involving someone with mental health issues as an example of what secular women normally deal with.

It is equivalent to someone here stating that the actions of a nutter like Dawn Gordon are typical of the FTB/Aplus side.

jg64

Post by jg64 »

JackRayner wrote:I got bored and decided to draw a little "self portrait" inspired by this.

From the link, at image 11 it looks like the demo is doing a goatse, also showing one in the portrait above the maiden.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

16bitheretic wrote: So, has everyone on this site been blamed yet on one of the FTB blogs for the existence of that Tweet? It seems that every bad thing that gets said at one of those people is somehow our fault, like the Slymepit is the atheist blogosphere's own personal Satan.
All someone has to do is look at my twatter profile and see that I list the Slympit as my personal blog and *bingo*?

Oh, as an aside:

I know people do not have to be in the mil to get PTSD but I also do know people with it. They are all mil vets, for example the combat medic who served in Nam and his brother who did Korea.

So when I hear crying about being "triggered" on twatter you have no idea how much contempt I feel for these cunts.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dick Strawkins wrote: I think sarah jones was being criticised for using an isolated incident involving someone with mental health issues as an example of what secular women normally deal with.

It is equivalent to someone here stating that the actions of a nutter like Dawn Gordon are typical of the FTB/Aplus side.
Correct.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Parody Accountant wrote:
Gumby wrote:He touched my boobie at a con last year.
I fucking knew it.
And he wore the same smelly "I am not a Skepchick" T-shirt all three days of the conference! He sold fake jewelry too!

:violin:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Skep tickle wrote: A tweeter "@Misesere22" replied to Myers' comment about his daughter w/ a completely uncalled-for comment about her, RT'd here by Myers:
I'm sure that tweet is now his most prized possession, because it "proves" he's been right all along about stuff... he'll make it out to be a lot bigger than the simple trolling it is. "this is why I fight..." blah blah blah.

Don't get me wrong - the tweet is horribly wrong. But whoever made it handed him a nice propaganda tool... which, come to think of it may have been the point.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Gumby wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:
Gumby wrote:He touched my boobie at a con last year.
I fucking knew it.
And he wore the same smelly "I am not a Skepchick" T-shirt all three days of the conference! He sold fake jewelry too!

:violin:

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

JackRayner wrote: You still fail to point out how my statement is anything like the "standard religious mindset". Restating what you said isn't the same as clarifying it.
The standard religious mindset is that human life has no intrinsic value. This is also, apparently, your mindset too.

Your response to this mindset may be completely different, but the underlying attitude towards human life appears he same.
A diamond's physical attributes, like density for example, are intrinsic, and would remain so even if we vanished tomorrow. What would not remain, however, is the emotional or monetary value we've attributed to it.
Yes - I just made the same point.
That reeks of circularity, and the bad kind, too.

1. Humans exist
2. Humans value that they exist.
3. Therefore human existence is intrinsically valuable?

In other words, human existence is intrinsically valuable because humans exist and they value their own existence?
Human experience is an intrinsic property of being a human. How is it not therefore intrinsically valuable?
And the Bible is the word of "god", right? LOLzzz. No. What's next? Are you going to tell me morality is objective too? :naughty:

Like someone else pointed out, only half jokingly I assume, other beings on this planet, with the ability to attribute value, probably find us to be a major pain in the ass [and rightly so]. Hell, I know individual humans, as well as whole ideologies [non-religious, lolz] that find our existence to be meaningless, worthless, or worse, a detriment to all other life on this planet. So much for "intrinsicity"...
Well, that's a good point - except that any system of belief that seeks to devalue the human experience is necessary pathological when viewed from a moral standpoint. There is such a thing as 'right' and 'wrong' when it comes to the treatment of concious, cogniscant beings. That the universe as a whole is entirely indifferent to this is irrelevant.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Pitchguest wrote: Oh, and this:
Ha. Someone goes on Pharyngula and uses the word "bitching", they get dogpiled by the lunatic commenters for sexism. One of their own thinks the word "bitching" is in no way sexist, and not a peep from the deranged peanut gallery.

All together boys and girls! "It's okay when weeeeee do it..."

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

You know what's odd about that tweet? Other than the fact that it's a completely awful thing to say to anyone?

I was under the impression that the good folks at FTB/Skepchick had been receiving a steady diet of rape threats and rape jokes for nigh these many years. Odd that Myers considers THIS particular one to be so upsetting.

I'm just saying, if Myers et al would RT every rape threat they get, it would be a lot easier for the rest of us to take them seriously about how much abuse they're receiving, wouldn't it? It's almost like...this is his first, or something.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

James Caruthers wrote:[.youtube]jyoOfRog1EM[/youtube]

This seems especially relevant in light of these social justice warriors, Freethoughtblogs, PZ Myers and Atheism Plus, and how they react to all contrary views. Such people would do well to remember the danger of "safe spaces" in creating extremely stupid opinions. It's so easy to be pushed along to extremism by an overwhelming consensus, especially when you select against dissent with a policy of "ban first, apologize never."

Welcome, James. Someone will be along shortly with the basket of links and the traditional greeting.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Steersman wrote:

I suspect it began with the incident that Al mentioned last week:

viewtopic.php?p=118302#p118302

I think sarah jones was being criticised for using an isolated incident involving someone with mental health issues as an example of what secular women normally deal with.

Ah, thanks. Although calling her a "fuckbag" for that seems like going off the deep-end.

But I see from her post 10 days ago that she had been raped which might justify her supposed claim to be suffering from PTSD.

And I can agree with her that it sucks to have some death threats directed your way. And, as with the recent case in the UK, one can generally agree that such individuals should be stomped on.

But where I part company with her is her rather dogmatic aversion to any suggestion that taking some personal responsibility might have more impact on reducing the incidence of rape than all of finger-wagging admonishments in the world to men to simply not rape. Interesting article here from Australia titled Advocating risk ranagement is not “victim-blaming”

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Pitchguest wrote:The Ada Initiative's response to the cancellation is even worse.

Is this what feminism has been reduced to? Whimpering women with victim fetishism, and the men that enables them? :snooty:

That and power-grabs.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: A tweeter "@Misesere22" replied to Myers' comment about his daughter w/ a completely uncalled-for comment about her, RT'd here by Myers:
I'm sure that tweet is now his most prized possession, because it "proves" he's been right all along about stuff... he'll make it out to be a lot bigger than the simple trolling it is. "this is why I fight..." blah blah blah.

Don't get me wrong - the tweet is horribly wrong. But whoever made it handed him a nice propaganda tool... which, come to think of it may have been the point.

I've had a little look at the output of this @Misesere22 on twitter to see where exactly he (presumably) stands on the atheist/skepticism question.

He's protected his tweets but those that come up from cache searches don't reveal anyone with a connection to atheism/skepticism.
Rather, they seem to show someone with interests primarily in Chillean politics, with a sprinking of anti-feminist talking points.
I'm guessing that PZ is becoming famous as a pro-feminist American liberal, and this is increasing the chances of the kind of anti-feminist trolling of which this seems a prime example.

Google translated:
Robertinho @ Miserere22 10h

@ JulioJung_actor http://goo.gl/XnY3t a greeting!
View conversation

Retweet
Favorite

Robertinho @ Miserere22 July 22

@ JulioJung_actor be advertising face is a political office do not forget :-)
Expand

In_experto Sehr_Calo @ @ @ @ SrDatos DonDatos DonDatosCl @ @ grandateador no. that some people are questioning his title.
View conversation

@ In_experto @ Sehr_Calo @ DonDatosCl @ DonDatos @ SrDatos @ grandateador and this one? http://tinypic.com/r/i42sk8/5
View conversation

cast doubt medical degree from Michelle Bachelet http://tinypic.com/r/i42sk8/5 # short
Expand
Robertinho @ Miserere22 July 19

@ Marcelclaude @ R_Montero_R and according to the WHO, in chile commit suicide 4.5 times more men than women. http://goo.gl/xxqUB
View conversation
Robertinho @ Miserere22 July 18

No depression. Longueira knows he would lose and would rather be a senator.
Expand
Robertinho @ Miserere22 July 17

@ Marcelclaude important email I sent to your Gmail account (marcel.claude). Thank you ..
Expand
Robertinho @ Miserere22 July 16

@ BigAddie @ ActionFlickDoc @ brittanyinyeg Feminist Engaging in violence and then playing the victim. Standard.
View conversation
Marccella @ Marccella85 July 14

CAPRILES @ hcapriles, IN CHILE DO NOT WANT FOR-ZIONIST FASCIST AND COUP
Retweeted by Robertinho
Expand
NoHidroaysen @ NoHidroaysen July 14

Q KNOW NEW ComandoMichelle environmental adviser Jaime @ Bravo is the LARGEST driver @ Hidroaysen?. HELP with your RT for q everyone knows
Retweeted by Robertinho
Expand
Robertinho @ Miserere22 July 12

@ Raeq_raeq @ AXELKAISER His mistake is in presuming that runs right to education means no income standards.
View conversation
Gonzalo Oyarzun V. @ Goyarzun July 10

Thomas Mosciatti: The remarkable ability to invent something worse http://rbb.cl/55qh Title worthy to describe the duopoly political praxis.
Retweeted by Robertinho
Expand
Camilo Riffo @ camiloriffo July 10

RT @ pablorebolledo: The Mercury, July 12, 1971 pic.twitter.com/VMNjir7Nmq
Retweeted by Robertinho
View photo
miriamce @ miryamce July 10

Domes of games did it: had something WORSE to # binomial # Chaobinominal ......
Retweeted by Robertinho
Expand
alejandro @ zelush July 10

Pq change is not a president, will be the people who build a very different chile - # yovotomarcel # yoparoel11
Retweeted by Robertinho
Expand
Robertinho @ Miserere22 July 10

# DatoFrik our ancestors are 67% female, 33% male.
Expand

# YoParoEl11 and # YoVotoMarcel
Expand

Men perform the work heavier and riskier, work more hours, etc. And women wonder why they earn less.
Expand

@ Melnicksergio @ AXELKAISER that is trusted by the neoliberals in the sovereign people.
View conversation

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Gumby wrote:

Surprisingly the twitter account does not appear to be a quick burner troll account. 500+ tweets, ~100 followers & followees. Chiliean. When there was cache of his account he had a few anti-feminist rants along with some politics. I couldn't tell how much of a full time troll he was since humor does not translate well when you suck with the language.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Gumby wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:[.youtube]jyoOfRog1EM[/youtube]

Welcome, James. Someone will be along shortly with the basket of links and the traditional greeting.
Oh, is it my turn today?

*clears throat*

Fuck off James. Here's some Lynx:

http://i.imgur.com/SU9SMDx.png

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Steersman wrote: calling her a "fuckbag" for that seems like going off the deep-end.
I'm presuming that he meant something like 'fuckwit' but I agree that 'fuckbag' is a terrible insult to use against someone who is clearly angling for things to be outraged by and who will twist anything to make it appear that they are being threatened or called a sexist slur.

I can see how calling someone a 'fuckbag' might be construed as a sexist insult, although using the same insult on oolon would indicate Loebe didn't mean it in a sexist way (ie - describing a woman as a bag to fuck.)

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:I'm planning a trip to Norway next January/February to see the Northern lights, play with some polar beers, make snow angels, molest a few reindeeer etc.

blueswede.jpg
Ha! I remember that song. "Ookachaka, ookachaka, ooka ooka ookachaka". Yeah, they don't write them like that any more.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Something to consider is that when you're in town or on a cruise ship, you're likely going to be very close to protected environments at all times. So you don't necessarily have to bundle up like you're going to be out hunting seals on the ice floes for 12 hours. However, if you're going to be outside for a long time:

1. If it's going to be really cold, many layers, not one thick layer.
2. Man-made fibers that insulate when wet/damp or wool.
3. Outer-shell should be fairly tight to keep the wind off your layers and do a good job in-and-of itself. This is my parka: http://tinyurl.com/kemb8wt (in Red/Black) This will get you to -20C with minimal layer-supporting effort. The only downside is the hood cuts your vision off a bit.
4. Be very careful of your extremities, hands, feet, face, ears as they're the things you're going to freeze. I prefer leather gloves that have wool glove-liner inserts. Kind of old fashioned in concept, but you can take off the outer shell and use the just liner when you need to have a bit more fine motor control over something and still get some benefits.
5. Scarves are good.
6. Chemical hand/foot-warmers and chemical heating pads (that stick to the body or can be put in pockets) are great for comfort: http://tinyurl.com/mh4yoco
7. I wear light long-johns, like these: http://tinyurl.com/kohk6c5 My wife and daughter both wear silk long-johns.
8. Hats are good, especially with ear-flaps and my wife swears by them even if they look funny. I wear watch caps because I use a hooded parka. Or you can use a hat and ear-muffs (my wife does that too).

9. Make sure you don't over-heat and sweat. You'd be surprised how many people over-heat, sweat, then get cold as their improper fabric choices cause them to lose the insulative properties of their clothes.

On a cruise ship, on the deck, I'd wear two pair of socks, the long-johns, street clothes, gloves and the parka so I could spend significant time on deck. I wouldn't layer much and if I got cold, I'd go back inside for a bit, warm up, then go back out. Town is tougher because I would be expecting to be going in-and-out of shops and restaurants. So I'd probably just wear the parka and gloves for in town expeditions unless it was really, really cold or I was going to do a lot of sight-seeing.

Also, experiment. What works for me might be too much or too little for you.