Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by JackRayner »

bovarchist wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:I told you George Zimmerman was guilty :dance: :dance: :dance: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hand:
And I told you the media had it in for him.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013 ... erman.html
CBC News wrote:Shellie Zimmerman, who has filed for divorce, initially told a 911 dispatcher that her husband had his hand on his gun as he sat in his car outside the home she was at with her father. She said she was scared because she wasn't sure what Zimmerman was capable of doing. But hours later she changed her story and said she never saw a firearm, said Lake Mary police Chief Steve Bracknell.

Her father also declined to press charges, the police chief said.

George Zimmerman's brother, Robert Zimmerman Jr., tweeted that "we've learned from GZ case not to 'jump to conclusions,' to wait for facts, & to avoid speculation. 'News' is a business — not your friend."

Last month, Shellie Zimmerman, 26, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanour perjury charge for lying about the couple's finances during a bail hearing following her husband's arrest after Martin's shooting.
Sorry, you were saying something about what you told us about George? :naughty: :doh: :naughty: :doh: :naughty: :doh: :naughty: :doh: :naughty: :doh:
Would you look at that...
LOLz! "New wave"? Is that, like, 4th wave?

I guess she makes a real effort to not play the victim, but I saw her pull the typical, tired, retarded Feminist BS several times back when I used to watch The Young Turks. She's part of the reason I don't bother any more, with that meat headed clown "Cenk" being a bigger reason.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Guest wrote: My inner cynic wonders if it is no coincidence that the rise of the 'skeptical SJW' and the last throes of Hitch's life corresponded so closely. His tolerance for their morally relative, PoMo bollocks would be limited and he was more than capable of showing them up for the disingenuous arseholes they are.
Does anyone remember if elevatorgate preceded Hitch's death?
The attempt to take Dawkin's personal story of unpleasant but largely inconsequential childhood sexual experience with an adult and misappropriate it so that becomes a stick to beat him with looks like the cruellest trick of the online bully to me. YMMV
Elevatorgate began in at the start of July 2011 (the conference where the incident supposedly occurred was a month earlier but the argument didn't kick off until a month later).
Hitchens died on the 15th of December 2011.
He was pretty sick throughout that time period and he never commented on the schism - I guess it was under his radar (and he, no doubt, had other priorities.) The whole thing looked at the time like it might blow over. There was a lull in the storm for a couple of months after the Elevatorgate row until 2012 when a western front was opened up with the attacks on DJ Grothe and question of harassment incidents/monopod upskirt photos at TAM.
Whoops that was me, signed out for some reason. Anyways apologies before I'm jumped on by some fascist tit....I see they have been breeding.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

JackRayner wrote:LOLz! "New wave"? Is that, like, 4th wave?

I guess she makes a real effort to not play the victim, but I saw her pull the typical, tired, retarded Feminist BS several times back when I used to watch The Young Turks. She's part of the reason I don't bother any more, with that meat headed clown "Cenk" being a bigger reason.
I thought we would be up to 5th wave feminism with the valenti types in the world...but whatevs. Kasparian is hard to judge. I haven't seen her pull any really bad lines, but I wouldn't count her as an egalitarian. The best I have seen from her is support that a man brought charges against an abusive female partner, and providing some counterpoint against Cenk when he is making double standards, especially involving the sexual abuse of boys.

Which brings me to Cenk, who is by far the worst member of the young turks. He is old school sexist, and I think he knows it. His (sexual) attitude to women, is annoying but fairly harmless. A few situations which spring to mind is a case of a female abusing a child, then as soon as a man was mentioned (only mentioned!) Cenk immediately blamed the womans actions on him. Any time there is a underage boy involved with an adult woman, Cenks double standards come to the forefront, to the point of him assigning his own consent to some other boy and then deciding that no crime has occurred. Cenks reaction to Ana scoring a free pair of shoes off some sap who bought them was "Oh if only women knew what power they had...." was grating because not only are women fully aware, but he is trying to downplay their agency and culpability in their actions. I think the final straw was when Cenk hosted some SJW panel, and some black guy was giving the full fem spiel turned up to 11. I just wanted to shake the guy screaming "DAMNNIT MAN HAVE YOU NO SHAME OR DIGNITY". It was a real pathetic sight.

Had to get that off my chest. I had hoped that TYT would be a fairly liberty upholding group, opposing spying and civil liberty violations, but the SJW rot runs deep.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Skep tickle wrote:
Service Dog wrote:Wrap yer head around this:

Skepchick, the chicks who put a spunky chick spin Skepticism,
denounce a new Skepdude TV show for putting a spunky dude spin on Skepticism:
http://skepchick.org/2013/09/this-vs-that-vs-ladies/

bonus: RW slut-shames cosplayers at Dragon*Con and repeats the sexist stereotype that good lookin' booth babes at cons aren't real geeks.

Sister punishin'/ Player hating. (But it's ok when they do it.)
RW asked the woman working as a "booth babe" if that woman had ever watched a full episode of the show (the show that woman was trying to get RW to watch and presumably to purchase); the answer was no. The rest seems to be observation. I'm not seeing the "sister punishing".

RW includes tweets from @thisvsthatshow in her post; whoever is sending those out seems to have a tin ear, sending her (& other women) a clip & question, "Grandma vs Blond Hottie - Which would you choose?" In the clip, one of the women is vaporized. :doh:

And many of the show's tweets look like spam; the one below is included in RW's post, & was directed at 4 women (at least 2 of whom apparently dislike each other) and one man: There are quite a few other tweets in their stream directed at specific other twitter users, including DJ Grothe. Sure looks like spam, to me.

Oh, and the show's intro clip (above) is lame. "Science" seems like overstating the content. They're trying to be funny, and (for me at least) failing miserably. All that, and also the discrepancy between the way men and women are depicted in the clip is pretty obvious (men clothed and doing things; women showing lots of skin and serving as eye candy) - and is yet another reason I for one would have little interest in such a clip.

Assuming they have a market, it would seem to be some subset of straight men. But they seem not to realize the importance of targeting that market.

So - This vs That looks like it's being pushed pretty hard, including by the guy using their twitter account. They're trying to get lots of people to pay somewhere between $5.49 and $10.99 for 6 CDs. Perhaps it's targeted at a demographic to which I just can't relate, but frankly it looks like a product - er, show - that's not likely to find enough market to make it to season 2. I can't find anything to disagree with in RW's post (though I wouldn't have posted about "booth babes", personally - for them, it's a job).
Sulman wrote:What is it with the PZ lock-step with Watson? It's getting a bit weird. Any time she writes about anything, he follows up with something at Pharyngula.
Yeah, now that part is weird.
For anyone who is interested Skepticality did a recent interview episode with the shows producer. Get a sane view on the project from here:

http://www.skepticality.com/the-science ... s-vs-that/

codelette

Post by codelette »

Service Dog wrote:Wrap yer head around this:

Skepchick, the chicks who put a spunky chick spin Skepticism,
denounce a new Skepdude TV show for putting a spunky dude spin on Skepticism:
http://skepchick.org/2013/09/this-vs-that-vs-ladies/

bonus: RW slut-shames cosplayers at Dragon*Con and repeats the sexist stereotype that good lookin' booth babes at cons aren't real geeks.

Sister punishin'/ Player hating. (But it's ok when they do it.)
Becky wrote:
She was a scientist – I knew it immediately because she wore a lab coat and glasses and no pants.
Where did she get that idea? (from 00:49)
[youtube]gmLdaBTFtoA[/youtube]

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

Brive1987 wrote:
First, I'd like to apologise for the tone of my earlier post. I should reserve my "fuck you"s to new board members only. :)
No need, it gave me a chuckle. I'm passionate about history (although not so much this area of history).
Brive1987 wrote: Finally I'd argue the consensus there's a historical Jesus (of some sort) is more than just axe grinding. There is a level of respect to be accorded the historical discipline beyond "doubt everything". Certainly interpretation of events are a moveable feast, but tentatively coming to the conclusion that the probabilities support a certain view (after review of all evidence) is reasonable.
I'm cynical. I spend a lot of time reading and occasionally doing original research (although not recently). It is hard to explain without giving any specific examples. But I can think of a few examples in my area of interest when the consensus is generated by people who write 'history books' which are sold at airports. More respected historians would disagree but have bigger fish to fry and really don't want to get into a flame war over something which is emotionally charged. History isn't often black and white, so often axe-grinders changing details on the peripheries can put a spin on the overall picture. It's most annoying.

(I can also think of a couple of examples of this where it is state sponsored.)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Guest wrote:
So what he's really saying is that he finds it a little easier to forgive and/or understand the teacher than he does Genghis Khan?

T-that fiend!
Dawkins is Dear-Muslima-ing the shit out of himself! :lol:

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Did you know that, to us, the system is God?

No, neither did I. But apparently it is.

I'm off to sacrifice a goat to the Patriarchy.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ccdimage wrote:
Steersman wrote:
ccdimage wrote:On reflection I guess the odds of Hogan and Jesus existing are about the same.
You might want to take a look at this list of messiah claimants over the years – Jewish, Christian, Muslim, and Buddhist. You know many who have claimed to be Hogan? Or Sherlock Holmes? Or Batman?
I am unconvinced that the number of people who have played the part of batman validates the existence of a historical batman in any way.
To make any type of reasonable assessment of those types of relative odds, I think you have to consider the mechanisms in play. I think it not at all implausible that some Jewish guy of the 1st century AD did just that and got crucified for his troubles, with the tale growing with every telling.
I was thinking in terms of numbers of people when I changed my mind about the odds. The total number of POW's called Hogan in WW2 & the total number of Hippy Jews called Jesus 2000 years ago. I would be surprised if there were not several Jesus's and Hogan's.
Neither story is likely to be about an actual person.

From what I've read Jesus was a very popular name back in those days. Kind of like boys named 'Austin' back in the late 1990s...

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Sulman wrote:What is it with the PZ lock-step with Watson? It's getting a bit weird. Any time she writes about anything, he follows up with something at Pharyngula.
It's like he's obsessed with White Knighting for her. As if there is some other, deeper connection. Like with his penis or something.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Brive1987 wrote:For anyone who is interested Skepticality did a recent interview episode with the shows producer. Get a sane view on the project from here:

I would listen, if it wasn't for the fact that Skepticality is the single most boring podcast I have ever had the misfortune to listen to. If I ever wanted to convince someone that skepticism is about being a monotonous snoot with no personality, I would refer them to Skepticality.

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Jonathan wrote:Did you know that, to us, the system is God?

No, neither did I. But apparently it is.

I'm off to sacrifice a goat to the Patriarchy.
I wondered why they called it 'the Man'.....

:!:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Darren wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:For anyone who is interested Skepticality did a recent interview episode with the shows producer. Get a sane view on the project from here:

I would listen, if it wasn't for the fact that Skepticality is the single most boring podcast I have ever had the misfortune to listen to. If I ever wanted to convince someone that skepticism is about being a monotonous snoot with no personality, I would refer them to Skepticality.

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.
I'll forgive Derick for being boring after he described RWs tablegate mate as a "minion". :clap:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Guest wrote:
Gumby wrote:Of course, the FTBullies say they are divulging this "information" in order to help women protect themselves by staying away from Shermer or Krauss or whoever.

These are the same people that say teaching women to avoid situations and behaviors where their chances of being raped are increased is "victim blaming".

:think:
Haha! Good point - and proof (if it be needed) that these fucks don't think through the logic of their own positions, presumably because they don't actually give a fuck about anything (other than being a 'somebody' in the movement).
Yeah, I would like to see them attempt to perform the mental gymnastics required to explain this bit of hypocrisy. It would be like watching Christians flailing around trying to explain away contradictions in the Bible :)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Southern wrote:
debaser71 wrote:Feminism is stupid.
Jesus was a myth.
And more baboonary infests the pit.

My take on the last few pages.

YMMV
Did you read the last babooneries to say this baboonish baboonery yourself? No matter how people here disagree with each other, I believe nobody ever went as nasty as PZ Myers in one of his more modest afternoons.

Here, let me baboonize the Pit for a while, just for you:

You are a disgusting piece of shit. You're no human being, you are a rapist fucker who wants to molest children. I'm literally shaking with rage while I type this. You're lucky you're far away, because I would totally sink a knife in your throat and then squeeze your eyeballs with a spoon. Rebecca Watson is my Virgin Mary, and for Her majestic Blue Hair I would gladly sacrifice my life. Lsuoma, can I tell debase71 to fuck himself, please, can I? Spider-man once said, "Veni, vidi, vici". RAPE! Shermer is a rapist. Krauss is a rapist. Bill Nye is a rapist. UNICORN BDSM!

That, my friend, is baboonery.
You do that well!

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

You can't get much lower than telling a sex abuse victim how they should feel about their own experience. Sickening.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Via CNN:
Fox News pundit Dana Perino said she's "tired" of atheists attempting to remove the phrase "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, adding, "if these people really don't like it, they don't have to live here."

The co-host of Fox's "The Five" was referring to a suit brought by the American Humanist Association in Massachusetts, where the state's Supreme Judicial Court heard a challenge to the pledge on Wednesday.
Silverman gets his digs in - but he doesn't say Perino is "IN THE SHIT!!!11~!~"

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/0 ... ?hpt=hp_t3

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

EdwardGemmer wrote:You can't get much lower than telling a sex abuse victim how they should feel about their own experience. Sickening.
And to think how they dogpile people they think are doing the exact same thing. Fucking hypocrites...

Sounds like Dawkins gave a great deal of thought to what happened, came to the conclusion that things could have been much worse, realized attitudes were a bit different in those days, and moved on.

He made the mistake of not curling up into a ball under a table, hysterically shouting "RAPIST!!!" and writing 10,000 teary blog posts about it. It would have also helped if he claimed he was raped by Michael Shermer, I guess.

Fuck these lying hypocrites, every single one of them. Into the ground.

Cupid Stunt

Post by Cupid Stunt »

Dawkins is Becky & Peezeds great white whale, their Moby "Dick".

He remains unconquered and apparently utterly immune to all their efforts.

They now appear to have hopped aboard the SJW Tardis and gone back in time to relive something they now find offensive but didn't at the time because then he wasn't on their shit list.

Dawkins is still the biggest fish in the pond, they know this so they will try to harpoon him with anything they can land as an attempt to stay even remotely relevant, even if it means scraping the bottom of the barrel with unsubstantiated rumor and gossip.

They are like two fleas trying to destroy the dog they are living on.

codelette

Post by codelette »

JackRayner wrote:

I like Ana. I do. But watching her on this video made me cringe.
http://jezebel.com/meghan-mccain-helpfu ... 1277544273

...the fact that something can be a feminist issue, does NOT a feminist make. Those points that she discussed on the video can be portrayed as: democrat party issues, egalitarian issues, humanitarian issues, civil rights issues, libertarian issues, black community issues, etc. etc. etc.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

When the Pit users call for somebody to be banned, or the mods do ban somebody, just because they have a dissenting opinion, then I'll call it "baboonery" (good word that).

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Gumby wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:You can't get much lower than telling a sex abuse victim how they should feel about their own experience. Sickening.
And to think how they dogpile people they think are doing the exact same thing. Fucking hypocrites...

Sounds like Dawkins gave a great deal of thought to what happened, came to the conclusion that things could have been much worse, realized attitudes were a bit different in those days, and moved on.

He made the mistake of not curling up into a ball under a table, hysterically shouting "RAPIST!!!" and writing 10,000 teary blog posts about it. It would have also helped if he claimed he was raped by Michael Shermer, I guess.

Peezus actually accused Dawkins of sounding like someone from NAMBLA - an organization that promotes the legalization of child molestation.

I think we can say that all previous bridges between tham have been well and truly burned.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Thunderf00t loves Ana, Thunderf00t loves Ana...... :happy-jumpeveryone:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Peezus actually accused Dawkins of sounding like someone from NAMBLA - an organization that promotes the legalization of child molestation.

I think we can say that all previous bridges between tham have been well and truly burned.
I can't understand why anyone defends this loser. He adds nothing, he constantly attacks people in the worst ways. But oh, he's a great guy, let's invite him to speak at a conference. He's thee worst.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Dick Strawkins wrote: Peezus actually accused Dawkins of sounding like someone from NAMBLA - an organization that promotes the legalization of child molestation.

It'll be interesting to hear about the next time they run into each other at a conference - that is, of course, assuming that PZ ever again gets invited to any conference large and important enough for Dawkins to be at.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

codelette wrote:I like Ana. I do. But watching her on this video made me cringe.

...the fact that something can be a feminist issue, does NOT a feminist make. Those points that she discussed on the video can be portrayed as: democrat party issues, egalitarian issues, humanitarian issues, civil rights issues, libertarian issues, black community issues, etc. etc. etc.
Huh. Its very recent too, may have to update my opinion of her. I know the video is heavily edited and short, I found it interesting that Ana, who is like princess snow white (she is Armenian, which is almost the definition of Caucasian, and fits the dominant beauty standard) was so readily cutting off Patricia who is a "woman of colour" - surely that is a no-no amongst the feminist hierarchy? It sounded like Patricia was cut off once through editing, the other times it was from Ana speaking over the top of her. Why not ask Patricia why she holds the opinion that she does?

Cupid Stunt

Post by Cupid Stunt »

Gumby wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: Peezus actually accused Dawkins of sounding like someone from NAMBLA - an organization that promotes the legalization of child molestation.

It'll be interesting to hear about the next time they run into each other at a conference - that is, of course, assuming that PZ ever again gets invited to any conference large and important enough for Dawkins to be at.

As they are accepting as gospel the allegation that Dawkins has black listed RW, it is pretty short sighted of Peezus to go after Dawkins in this way.

Who could blame Dawkins for not wanting to attend any conference that Peezed is at after saying something like that?

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

EdwardGemmer wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I can't understand why anyone defends this loser. He adds nothing, he constantly attacks people in the worst ways. But oh, he's a great guy, let's invite him to speak at a conference. He's thee worst.
PZ Myers, founder and leader of the Church of Pharyngology.

windy

Post by windy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:How come PeeZus didn't take on Hitch when Christopher talked about his experiences in the public schools of Britain? Hitch had similar (I don't remember adults, but older boys certainly) experiences and pretty much the same attitude as Richard toward the situation. Hitch would have mopped the floor with little Paulie, if he took any notice of him.
Dawkins said very similar things to this interview in 'The God Delusion'.

Peezus brave challenge to those remarks?

He allowed Dawkins to include his essay, 'The Courtier's Reply' in the preface to the second edition.
In the next edition it's going to be replaced with "The Social Justice Warrior's Reply":

"NO. JUST. NO. You old, white, male, ivory tower academic, rape-apologising, Islamophobic shitlord! You need to shut up and listen! I'm crying tears of rage right now. If I had enough spoons I'd explain how this book turning women and minorities away from atheism. Check your fucking privilege since you clearly just. don't. get. it." etc.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I used to sub to TYT but then they got really stupid really fast. To me, they represent a lot of what is wrong with liberals in the US. Look, they aren't all bad, just really really wrong on too many issues. I watched tfoots videos praising Ana and just rolled my eyes. Three years ago I would have called myself a TYT fan. Today I'm cynical towards politics. Same pretty much goes for Rachael Maddow.

YMMV.

Fascinating eh?

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

the gif doesn't show it but Shot Dude, to me, looks like Sean Faircloth from RD.net.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

debaser71 wrote: Today I'm cynical towards politics. Same pretty much goes for Rachael Maddow.

Fascinating eh?
I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with the self-satisfied, perenially smug Maddow. No siree.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

debaser71 wrote:the gif doesn't show it but Shot Dude, to me, looks like Sean Faircloth from RD.net.
Nah, it's not Faircloth, too young. I don't recognize him from the skeptics scene. I think he's just a male stripper they hired for their party.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oh, but they are very sex positive people, as per Matt Dillahaunty video quote.

Sorry, everytime those fuckers go on this moral crusade against showing skin, it reminds me of that video. Fuck you< Matt, fuck you and what you helped to create, you disingenuos cunt.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:You wish cell phones worked as well as condoms. as well, you're making assumptions about whose home one goes to. The conversation about it would be awesome ….
You have some numbers on the number of dropped conversations as a percentage of completed ones? I would be very surprised if it was as bad as 1%. But if one wants to go to some home without the required capabilities then that is their choice, isn’t it? As for the “conversation”, I’m not sure that it would be terriby worse than asking who has what protection, and slight detours to obtain it.
voice and data are prioritized differently by cell carriers. Even now, voice wins. It also requires less bandwidth, because carriers know that the brain will make up for a lot of voice problems. Data reliability is still not at the level of voice reliability and in this case, we are solely concerned with data reliability.

the conversation about protection is, nowadays, considered good manners almost. It shows a certain amount of concern for the other party, and isn't generally judgmental. The major objections to condoms now are based on it makes sex maybe not feel as good, and anyone seriously using that argument is generally recognized to be a dumbass. Insisting on the use of barrier protection, in the day and age of AIDS, Herpes, and other less-permanent STDs has become about as controversial as using an umbrella in the rain.

Saying "Listen, I need to make sure I have a video recording of our time alone at all times so if you rape/assault me or try to, I have proof" is not going to go over so well. I can't think of any way to phrase that without it coming across as "i'm sure enough you're going to try to rape me that I think being alone with you is a significant risk, so I need to gather evidence the entire time." Maybe you could bury that in enough verbiage that the other person wouldn't notice it, but most people, not so much.
Steersman wrote:However, I kind of get the impression you’re throwing out a whole bunch of red herrings. I’ve quite clearly indicated several times that the application probably wouldn’t cover all cases, yet you make a point of suggesting ones where it wouldn’t work with the implication that it wouldn’t work in any of them.
I'm pointing out potential problems, and this is an area I've some experience in. This isn't like "hey, look, grammy's doing the funky chicken, let's get a video of that." If the video fails in a case like that, it's a mild disappointment. This is turning a cell phone into safety equipment and like other safety equipment, the performance bar is rather higher than "America's Funniest Home Videos." If someone is going to rely on this to keep them safe, then we need to apply that standard to evaluating the proposal.

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:If you back up a phone and an iPad with a moderate amount of Apps, you've filled that up. You're really making assumptions of HOW that storage is used. Which is why using iCloud for this is a bad idea.
Ok, I’ll take your word on that. But maybe there are ways to disable some App if the recorder is being used. And maybe there’s a better alternative to iCloud which you’re welcome to suggest. But the concept of external storage that is secure, and to which data can be uploaded on the fly seems to be what is required.
It's not a case of disabling the app. It's the storage that matters. A disabled App still takes up the same amount of storage space it did when it was enabled. Its data and settings are still there. The iCloud thing is actually unimportant other than iCloud itself being a poor choice. The network and connectivity issues are more of a problem, along with the other things i've listed.
Steersman wrote:It's not a case of the file system itself, that's immaterial here. But now, you want the App to have more control over the storage than the user. What if the user loses the key?
Good question. Probably by having iCloud or the other file system you suggested have 2 keys themselves that could only cause the deletion of the files. [/quote]

file systems aren't magic. They don't do anything by themselves. The problem isn't the file system, it's the stuff running on top of it. the actual file system only matters in terms of reliability and scalability, and there are a number of things that solve that issue.
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:development? Dude, you haven't even gotten past the first round of realistic design requirements. This kind of thing is actually HARD.
Tell me about it.
I have been trying to do that :-P
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:Okay so now you've gone from the person with the app and the cops having a subkey to: the person with the phone having a subkey. The other person in the encounter having a subkey. The cops having a subkey. How do you propose to manage this for people who don't own, or want the app? ….
As I attempted to explain earlier, obviously one person has to own a phone and the App, although there are scenarios where both do, but all that is required is for the other person to key-in some unique code of their own into that iPhone and App.
Well, that solves the notification issue. But it can't be "some unique code". It would have to be a key generated by the same App, or at the very least the same overall framework. Which means the other person can't not be a user of the system, otherwise how do they get the key? So for an encounter to proceed you have to have:

the person recording having a key and a way to enter it. That's easy, they have the phone.

The other person(s) ALSO having a key and a way to enter it. Typically keys are VERY long random-ish strings of characters, well over 1500 depending on method used. They are not things that humans are going to remember well, if at all. Rainman couldn't remember a good SSL key. So this has to be done programmatically.

Both have to also have their keys stored with the proper LE agency. Said keys have to be paired with individual LE keys.

All of this has to have access to secure storage with a way to only allow access to a given file with a specific set of keys. Which means your storage setup has to have advanced notice about not just the people about to get jiggy and their keys, but which LE keys are usable for a given file.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:Oh, wait, we haven't thought of the whole "i lost my key, I have to create a new one" problem. Because that then craters alll the subkeys. Oh, and now none of your files are valid.
Well shit! You mean that if I forget my PKZIP codes then I can’t decrypt those files? Well that’s crap! Generally speaking, of course if you forget your keys then you’re toast.

But I don’t think you’ve read or understood the relevant sections of that article about secret sharing – not that that is entirely bad as there’s a lot to chew on, much of it outside my salary range. If one person forgets or loses their subkey – “Oops, sorry about raping you. Also for forgetting my subkey.” – that doesn’t mean that the file is toast. The whole point of the scheme is that it only takes 2 of 3 keys to unlock the file, presumably that of the victim – rapee or falsely accused raper – and the justice system.
You understand "The Justice System" isn't a thing right? That it's a label for a bag of cats that are rather hostile to each other with wildly different systems and rules of evidence, ESPECIALLY in the US where you can't even get state-level agreement on when it is okay to record a phone call, much less videotape an intimate encounter.

As well, this is assuming all encounters are only two people. That's not the case and the problem escalates probably vertically for every additional person in the encounter.

You're handwaving over a lot of really finicky implementation details. The problem is, if those details aren't handled correctly, your system doesn't work. I'm being nice and not pointing out the decade-long wait it would take to get funding for this on the LE end.
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:Also, the salts you propose are trivial to crack. You might want to read up some of the latest stuff on such things. As well of COURSE the keys at the JD are going to have identifying, unencrypted metadata tied to them. How else would the JD know which key to use?
Salts? Sorry, not familiar with the term. As for cracking, you might note that the article asserts that “Several secret sharing schemes are said to be information theoretically secure and can be proved to be so”, i.e., they are “considered cryptanalytically unbreakable”.
The same thing was said about SSL and a lot of other schemes that as it turns out, are in fact breakable. There's a difference between theory and implementation. Theory always works great. The implementation, not so much. Coding bugs, etc. These are real problems that are exploited in the real world. It's part of the set of things I have to think about all the time.
Steersman wrote:As for “unencrypted metadata”, that might be a stickier wicket. However, offhand, it seems that all of that could be encrypted such that it takes only the subkey of either of the two principles to unlock it to provide names, dates, locations, etc., as well as the JD subkey, but all of that would only be visible to the JD.
If it's encrypted, how do you know which key to unlock? At some point, you have to have some form of unencrypted metadata that ensures you are unlocking the right file. You could use the filename, but guaranteeing uniqueness gets tricky if that's all you have.
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:I've seen far too many phones where a GB of free storage is a myth. People really do use the hell out of those things, and they never have enough space. It's a real problem for a variety of reasons.
Not entirely sure that that “GB of free storage” is really an issue as that would seem to depend on differences between acquistion rates, and transmissions rates. And if the application really needed that much then the implied latency would suggest a serious vulnerability.
If you're recording data at rate A, and your network connection to the server only allows you to transmit data at rate A-x, then you're going to have to cache the difference. Since A is effectively a constant, and x can vary wildly based on a large number of external factors, (weather, congestion, number of users), the local caching is going to be important. Since you don't want this app to be unusable in cases where x >= A, (no wifi, you're in a cell network hole, etc), local, secure caching is a very real problem, and you can't handwave it away.
Steersman wrote:But in that somewhat unlikely event then I guess that the users would either have disable or uninstall those Apps. Or decide at the outset that having the recorder to protect them against rape or false accusations thereof was more important than the latest version of Donkey Kong. Or the latest catalog of Fluevogs. Life’s a bitch when you can’t have everything you want.
So effectively, you need a dedicated device. That'll work. Not.
Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:There may be a market. But I think the implementation problems would require a lot more money and people and interagency coordination, and lawyers than a startup is going to have access to. The behavioral and technical issues are somewhat minor compared to the legal ones.
Indeed. Part of the reason why I’m trying to get some “feminists” and/or women’s groups to buy into the concept. Seems that if – a very big “if” – the concept could be made to work, and if it would actually reduce the incidence of rape then it might well take a not inconsiderable amount of time, money and effort to get off the ground. Having a ready-made market chomping at the bit for a product would seem to be well more than half the battle.
Dude, you'd have to get DHS to push this out, that's the only way the interagency problem would have a prayer of going away. The political bickering THAT would cause would, by itself, put this concept into permahiatus. The feminists are not even the BEGINNING of the problem. They are not even a rounding error in the issues and problems that have to be solved for this to work correctly.
Steersman wrote:However, as mentioned, the major stumbling block between here and there seems to be that many “feminists” have some difficulties in conflating the concepts of personal responsibility, and victim blaming.
They are not even a bump amongst the boulders in this minefield.

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:I'm just trying to imagine getting the interagency coordination and oversight done. This is not an easy thing on any level, and that's well before you get to the technical issues.
In spite of having virtually no knowledge of the American justice system, I can still imagine that it could be a bit of bureaucratic nightmare. However, to coin a phrase, “where there is no vision, the people perish”.
Vision is great. But vision only imagines the building. You still need a lot of other motherfuckers to get the damned thing built.

welch

Re: AW: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by welch »

Verklagekasper wrote:
welch wrote:
Verklagekasper wrote: What is that? Why do you suggest I claimed anything like that? Fuck off with this FTBullies style bullshit.
Ah, there we go. When you can't "win" any other way, CALL THEM ONE OF THE FTBULLIES!

Don't forget "baboon". Every time you use that, I froth. Like this:
Call it arguing by shaming or appealing to emotion. But then again, my comparison wasn't fair either since at least Aneris was arguing. Like, not just randomly throwing in nonsense and obscenities.
Aneris has far more patience for silliness than I do.

welch

Post by welch »

Cupid Stunt wrote:Dawkins is Becky & Peezeds great white whale, their Moby "Dick".

He remains unconquered and apparently utterly immune to all their efforts.

They now appear to have hopped aboard the SJW Tardis and gone back in time to relive something they now find offensive but didn't at the time because then he wasn't on their shit list.

Dawkins is still the biggest fish in the pond, they know this so they will try to harpoon him with anything they can land as an attempt to stay even remotely relevant, even if it means scraping the bottom of the barrel with unsubstantiated rumor and gossip.

They are like two fleas trying to destroy the dog they are living on.
it doesn't help that he refuses to directly engage them. All they're left with are long shots at a ship far out of range.

welch

Post by welch »

codelette wrote:
JackRayner wrote:

so the fact that something falls under the range of multiple labels means it can only have one?

welch

Post by welch »

Cupid Stunt wrote:
Gumby wrote:

As they are accepting as gospel the allegation that Dawkins has black listed RW, it is pretty short sighted of Peezus to go after Dawkins in this way.

Who could blame Dawkins for not wanting to attend any conference that Peezed is at after saying something like that?
Because then, any time he's not invited to speak at a conference Dawkins is at, he can now claim it's because of Dawkins.

It's actually a pretty slick bit of doucheiness.

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Steersman wrote: I have to ask about that top picture of Arnie. Is that him as a puppy? He looks like he realizes that he’s in the doghouse for having chewed up your best slippers. :-)

But congrats on passing one more milestone. Looks like the rest is clear sailing.
Haha! No, thats Arnie now (7), turning the cuteness dial up to 11 because he was sick of watching me write all the time.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Her body her choice, Rebecca.

I think that
campaigning against
people who promote-stuff by wearing sexy costumes
at trade shows and industry conventions
is a silly battle, not worth fighting.

I do however understand the anti-booth babe talking points;
about how the scantily clad women are incongruous with
the serious business all around them.

But Rebecca Watson complaining about
people who promote stuff by wearing sexy costumes at Dragon*Con
-- a SEXY COSTUME CONVENTION--
is like going to a nude beach to complain about the nudity.
The usual anti-booth babe arguments don't even apply.

The Geek Feminism Wiki entry on 'slut shaming' uses 4 examples to demonstrate slut-shaming:
anti-cosplay, anti-booth babe, 'too sexy for the con', and 'fake geek girls'.
Rebecca Watson's blog post invokes all 4:

http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Slut_shaming
Slut shaming is the act of criticising a woman for her real or presumed sexual activity, or for behaving in ways that someone thinks are associated with her real or presumed sexual activity.

Examples
Women who cosplay are often slut-shamed.
Booth babes may be criticised for dressing in revealing clothing.
During the Geek feminist harassment at OSCON incident, Nice Girl reported that she and a friend had been told they were dressing too sexily, contributing to a Sexualized environment.
The tendency to denounce attractive women as fake geek girls.

Why it's a problem
Women's sex lives and sexuality are matters of their own choice, and nobody else's business.

Criticisms of women's supposedly too-sexual appearance are often used to control women. Such criticisms are also frequently used to blame women for rape. See also: Rape culture.

In geek circles, there is often a tension between women's own sexual expression or choices in dress/grooming, and between Sexualized environments, which can be unwelcoming for some women....
Geek Feminism Wiki defines "fake geek girl" shaming as:
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Fake_geek_girls
Fake geek girls - allegedly women who show up at geek events, possibly while hot, with not enough geek cred for you.
Another Geek Feminism talking point--
is that it's wrong to assume that
women "only like" certain things:
women like porn, too. Women like science, and science fiction.
Women like bloody action movies. Not just pink plastic love stories and cats.

Yet Watson's blog assumes "everyone who isn’t a stupid oversexed heterosexual man" must
"feel uncomfortable and unwelcome" around booth babes,
and that tweeting links to a Gorgeous Ladies of Dragon*Con photo album
is "spam"-- because ThisVs.That should just automatically know that "all my sex parts" are "shriveling up and dying due to the frequent shots of women’s asses", Tank Girl cosplay, etc.

http://rabbitthefeminist.files.wordpres ... aa300_.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
One questio.
If it is always fair to judge past behavior by current standards, does that include judging posts of hentai rape porn and jokes about gang raping Kent Hovind?
:think:
Oh, snap, you went right to PZ's bad-touch place...

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
debaser71 wrote:the gif doesn't show it but Shot Dude, to me, looks like Sean Faircloth from RD.net.
Nah, it's not Faircloth, too young. I don't recognize him from the skeptics scene. I think he's just a male stripper they hired for their party.
I know it's not him, it just looks like him. The resemblance just struck me the first time I watched that video. (just a throw away comment while I drink coffee...oh wait coffee...nooooooooooooooooooooo! I just sexualized myself!)

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Eve Ensler's play "The Vagina Monologues" includes a monologue about an older woman
getting a 13 year old girl drunk, then having sex with her.

The section ends with the line "If it was rape, then it was a good rape."

Yet Eve Ensler remains in good standing with FtB bloggers who have written about her in the last year or two,
such as Jen McCreight, Taslima Nasreen, and PZ Myers.

In recent editions of the Vagina Monologues script, the age of the girl has been raised to 16, and the "good rape" line has been removed; so perhaps the FtB bloggers have decided not to judge Ensler's past, bygone offenses by the standard any decent person would apply today?

On February 16, 2013, PZ Myers' blog post "You Don't Get To Be 'Over' Rape" discussed Eve Ensler, defending her.

In contrast to PZ's outrage at Richard Dawkins' unscripted comments about sex abuse in a public interview,
PZ had this to say about Eve Ensler's unscripted comments about sex abuse in a public interview:
"I don’t consider simplifying for a public interview while keeping the core numbers accurate to be using 'misleading statistics to support [Ensler's] social agendas'.”
What was Eve Ensler "simplifying"?... Stats about the frequency and seriousness of violent, damaging rape.

Ensler arrvied at the number "One Billion" rapes by including women "otherwise abused" such as "economic abuse" as "rape victims".
Dawkins, on the other hand, acknowledged prevalence of actual violent and serious sexual assaults; while carefully distinguishing between such rapes and other offenses.
Which person has a problem with the truth?

PZ did not respond to Ensler swapping the moral high ground for a swampy mire of ambiguity with the same righteous anger seen in this line of PZ's response to Dawkins:
Thanks for swapping the moral high ground for a swampy mire of ambiguity, Richard.
I'll conclude with another of PZ's anti-Dawkins comments, but apply it to PZ:

"Richard Dawkins" PZ Myers "has now embraced the same moral relativism that Catholics use to rationalize crimes against children."

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Linus

Post by Linus »

JackRayner wrote: I guess she makes a real effort to not play the victim, but I saw her pull the typical, tired, retarded Feminist BS several times back when I used to watch The Young Turks. She's part of the reason I don't bother any more, with that meat headed clown "Cenk" being a bigger reason.
I used to really like Cenk until he started yelling about how the police told Zimmerman not to follow TM so he obviously must be guilty. I have no problem with someone taking an anti GZ stance if they do it intelligently, but come on...

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

^When using a sexy girl to sell your product ends up looking retarded.

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Dayyum, that tummy is NSFW.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

In the latest Dawkins thread on the Pharyngulag a commenter called Ichthyic is being self-righteous.
Ichthyic wrote:
jump toindignation, are insults and sarcasm and belittling the sum of what you have to add here?
done with you now, you dishonest hack. I gave you more credit than you deserved.
and
Ichthyic wrote: ass… door… or did you poor persecuted “skeptics” want to do a proper flounce?

if so, I can offer some advice…
The 'advice' links to this:

http://open.salon.com/blog/verbal_remed ... s_look_big

This Ichthyic is actually the last person to give advice on flouncing, since he is the lying, hypocritical piece of shit who flounced from Why Evolution Is True and afterwards claimed that he had been banned by Jerry Coyne. See post 23 here: viewtopic.php?p=64676#p64676

As some deluded fuckwit recently said, the Pharyngula Commentariat consists of decent people. Yeah, right. These people make me want to puke. Their hypocrisy stinks as much as that of the worst religious creeps.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ease-stop/

Linus

Post by Linus »

codelette wrote:
JackRayner wrote:

True. I support equal rights for women, combating sexism and combating restrictive gender roles. But I don't call myself a feminist, because there are too many interpretations of what a "true feminist" and what "feminism 101" is. Too many times I've seen people say "you're not a feminist if you don't believe [insert ideological tenant]". Also the word "feminist" is too specific for me to identify with, because I'm against all forms of bigotry and unfair discrimination, not just sexism against women.

If there is a good point to be raised there, it's that many people say things like "I'm opposed to feminism" or "I don't like feminists" when many feminists are simply about equal rights and combating legitimate sexism and abuse. I would never say anything more than that I don't like certain feminists and I don't like certain ideas that certain people consider to be feminist ideas.

At least she didn't say "Do you think women are people?"

Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Peezus actually accused Dawkins of sounding like someone from NAMBLA - an organization that promotes the legalization of child molestation.
With all their accusations of rape apologism and pedophilia apologism they are rapidly running out of piles of shit to throw at people, and are destroying the language as they go. Anything else they might turn to now will seem paltry by comparison.

Once the shout of "FIRE" no longer works, and after they've destroyed the meaning of the word "fire", they'll have nothing left to attract any attention.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Here's another decent person:
Ingdigo Jump wrote:
<snip>

Dawkins and his rape cheerleaders can fuck a power socket
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-688386

Southern

Post by Southern »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Peezus actually accused Dawkins of sounding like someone from NAMBLA - an organization that promotes the legalization of child molestation.
Don't be silly, Dawkins looks nothing like Marlon Brando.