Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Git

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Git »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Hello everyone.

I've posted a few times as LurkyLurkyLurker and I thought I'd register and introduce myself.

I became aware of the skeptical movement in the 90s and one of the subjects that interested me in particular was the Satanic ritual abuse panic. It seemed a particularly good example of irrationality causing serious harm. Innocent people were sent to prison, families broken up, "recovered" memories - you know the story. The Satanic Abuse myth was mainly promoted by strongly religious people, but also by gender feminists such as Gloria Steinem in America and Beatrix Campbell in the UK. The similarity in the mind-sets of the fundamentalists and the feminists was obvious.

* Irony * Thank goodness for the skeptics who pointed out that it was a witch hunt based on no evidence, that accusations do not equal guilt, that human memory is not reliable etc. * Irony *

Ok, you can tell me to fuck off now.
Welcome to the Slymepit. Here is the traditional basket of links for you to peruse:

http://0.tqn.com/d/cats/1/0/4/Z/3/iStoc ... Basket.jpg

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Dornier Pfeil wrote: Like the right not to suffer? Like the right not to be a football in a religious crusade against women?
Forget the religious motivations for the moment and assume that the lawmakers are immoral and are using religion as a cover...

Who profits from the increase in more babies being born?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I just want to point out that a discussion about abortion on the slymepit is less acrimonious than screwdriver vs. hammer :P

I have heard that ALEC is behind a lot of these laws. However, that is verging into conspiracy territory. But uh, more poor people = cheap labour.

gargamel

Post by gargamel »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Dornier Pfeil wrote: Like the right not to suffer? Like the right not to be a football in a religious crusade against women?
Forget the religious motivations for the moment and assume that the lawmakers are immoral and are using religion as a cover...

Diaper companies? ;)

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Gumby wrote:
tina wrote:Gefan: I get this....."This video contains content from Beta Film GmbH, PRS CS, ConstantinMediakraft, UMG and UMPI, one or more of whom have blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

Is there a mirror of your latest masterpiece anywhere?
I wonder if "certain" people have been complaining... because there are literally thousands of Unterganger parody vids floating around with no problem. Wikipedia states:
In October 2010, YouTube stopped blocking Downfall-derived parodies. Corynne McSherry, an attorney specializing in intellectual property and free speech issues for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, stated, "All the Downfall parody videos that I've seen are very strong fair use cases and so they're not infringing, and they shouldn't be taken down."
There's also the matter of how pop culture affects copyright. Once a phrase (like, "I'll google that"), meme or video clip is in the public domain enough, and the company doesn't shut it down, and it becomes part of the public consciousness, the company loses its legal right to pursue copyright cases because the work is considered to be public in a certain sense. If they wanted to retain their right to restrict content, they should have pursued it legally years ago when the infringement first happened.

I would certainly consider Downfall parodies to qualify, there are thousands of the fucking things.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

gargamel wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

Diaper companies? ;)
Ah. The big poop conspiracy.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

AndrewV69 wrote:

The Atheist Pie Co. Ltd.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

another lurker wrote:I just want to point out that a discussion about abortion on the slymepit is less acrimonious than screwdriver vs. hammer :P
Yeah, but Screwdriver v. Hammer was a lot funnier than Roe v. Wade.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Gumby wrote:
another lurker wrote:I just want to point out that a discussion about abortion on the slymepit is less acrimonious than screwdriver vs. hammer :P
Hell, the Great Bread Debate was testier.

Now to just involve Israel in this argument...

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

We haven't had a good kittehs vs. dogs fight yet!

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

I see colon has won another award, for services to drool, I suppose.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environmen ... 12306.html

tina

Post by tina »

Gumby wrote:
Please tell me the Marmite/Vegemite wars are done and dusted on here. PLEASE!

windy

Post by windy »

I've posted a few times as LurkyLurkyLurker and I thought I'd register and introduce myself.

I became aware of the skeptical movement in the 90s and one of the subjects that interested me in particular was the Satanic ritual abuse panic. It seemed a particularly good example of irrationality causing serious harm. Innocent people were sent to prison, families broken up, "recovered" memories - you know the story. The Satanic Abuse myth was mainly promoted by strongly religious people, but also by gender feminists such as Gloria Steinem in America and Beatrix Campbell in the UK. The similarity in the mind-sets of the fundamentalists and the feminists was obvious.
Welcome! I've been doing some reading on this lately, since a recent murder and child abuse case in Finland has featured some claims that are remarkably similar to the Satanic panic (looks like we're catching up to this particular fad late):
...the child abuse case took a new and unexpected turn on Tuesday when it came out that the prosecution suspects that Auer may have been involved in Satan worship.

The new investigation material suggests that manifestations of Satan worship, such as cutting, animal sacrifice, and other rituals may have taken place.
The material also gives the impression that human ashes and blood had been used in satanic rituals.
These new claims come from interviews of children who were 2-7 years old at the time of the alleged crimes and started 'recalling' the abuse over 3 years later... overall, it's been a pretty embarrassing show from the authorities.

OK, now you can fuck off!

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

"Captain Save A Ho" (as Reap called him)

Beautiful work.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

* Irony * Thank goodness for the skeptics who pointed out that it was a witch hunt based on no evidence, that accusations do not equal guilt, that human memory is not reliable etc. * Irony *

Ok, you can tell me to fuck off now.
That was fucking presumptuous. Fuck off. :text-welcomeconfetti:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Gumby wrote:

Bread made with screwdrivers by aborted Palestinan fetuses named Zimmerman using Florida water cause more human overpopulation and resource depletion than Skittles made with hammers by Israelis named Trayvon using California water.

And if you don't agree with me you can shove a decaying porcupine up your ass.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

another lurker wrote:We haven't had a good kittehs vs. dogs fight yet!
KITTEHS!!!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Re This vs That

PZ goes tone trolling
They sent me a couple of tweets offering a discount code and HUGE SAVINGS and urging me to watch their show. I turned them down, rudely, saying they were cheesy sexist shit. They replied.

@thisvsthatshow: @pzmyers I’m now aware you’re a cantankerous fuck. You’ll find my response to your baseless allegations, here: http://ow.ly/oMXXB

Hmmm. I find your approach enticing. Who’s in charge of your PR?
Wow. Who'd a thought that calling something "cheesy sexist shit" would produce such rude replies.

Al Stefanelli

Post by Al Stefanelli »

Brive1987 wrote:Re This vs That

PZ goes tone trolling
They sent me a couple of tweets offering a discount code and HUGE SAVINGS and urging me to watch their show. I turned them down, rudely, saying they were cheesy sexist shit. They replied.

@thisvsthatshow: @pzmyers I’m now aware you’re a cantankerous fuck. You’ll find my response to your baseless allegations, here: http://ow.ly/oMXXB

Wow. Who'd a thought that calling something "cheesy sexist shit" would produce such rude replies.
Anyone screencap that pic? It's gone now...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

tina wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Anti-Skub!

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Gumby wrote:
KITTEHS!!!
http://www.pleated-jeans.com/wp-content ... 1_1280.jpg

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Only one slymepit debate has truly shaken me to my core. That is the subhuman pieces of excrement vs. people who like coriander.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

DownThunder wrote:Only one slymepit debate has truly shaken me to my core. That is the subhuman pieces of excrement vs. people who like coriander.
You'd better not be talkin' 'bout my cilantro...them's Pad Thai fightin' words...

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Yes, I thought argument was about that brilliant herb, cilantro (so fine in a good guacamole), not its dowdy stem-sister, coriander.

Tsk, tsk.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

When is the PeeZee apocalypse scheduled? The lawsuit launched, in which PeeZee gets a taste of his comeuppance and a portion of his hefty ass handed to him...anybody?

Reap

Post by Reap »

I meant more like thisCAPTAIN ...SAVE...A......HO!!!
Attachments
THECAP2.jpg
(234.99 KiB) Downloaded 421 times

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Re This vs That

PZ goes tone trolling

Anyone screencap that pic? It's gone now...
No. This is the indistinct Placeholder image. It likes like a proper engagement with Phil rather than just a "only way my show will sell is with women" approach.

https://o.twimg.com/2/proxy.jpg?t=HBgea ... OFzZa_SGjI

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

James Caruthers wrote: There's also the matter of how pop culture affects copyright. Once a phrase (like, "I'll google that"), meme or video clip is in the public domain enough, and the company doesn't shut it down, and it becomes part of the public consciousness, the company loses its legal right to pursue copyright cases because the work is considered to be public in a certain sense. If they wanted to retain their right to restrict content, they should have pursued it legally years ago when the infringement first happened.

I would certainly consider Downfall parodies to qualify, there are thousands of the fucking things.
Nooo, that's not copyright, that's trademark genericization. Copyright doesn't get the same treatment, though perhaps it ought to?

Xerox and zipper are examples of generic trademarks.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Kareem wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Richard Dawkins has written a clarification re his remarks on paedophilia:

http://www.richarddawkins.net/foundatio ... erstanding
Totally unnecessary. Those who want to understand what he said already do and those who don't never will.

Every time I think these posers can't hit a new low...
That along my thoughts. Most people are capable of understanding what Dawkins said if they approach it honestly. Then there are those who deliberately, and with malice, misinterpret what he said.

Thing is, Myers was one of them. And I think it helps build a case that Myers is an asshole who operates with malice and reckless regard for the truth. So when he piled on, I was glad. It just goes to show what a complete asshole he really is.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Al Stefanelli wrote:
...Anyone screencap that pic? It's gone now...
pzm has the letter screencapped in his post "I think I’ll pass on This vs. That, too"

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -that-too/

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ERV wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Richard Dawkins has written a clarification re his remarks on paedophilia:

I genuinely dont understand why he tries to engage with these idiots.

See Gumbys sig-- There is always going to be someone out there who thinks that ripping down Richard Dawkins magically makes them smarter/more accomplished/better person than Dawkins, just by virtue of their 'critique'.

Dawkins: "The sky is blue."

Asshole: "HURHURHUR STUPID DAWKINS IM LOOKIN OUTSIDE NOW AND ITS GRAY HES SO DUMB!"
Asshole: "Wow. I used to respect Dawkins so much, but now that I see him flaunting his ability to see color... Ive lost a hero."
Asshole: "The beauty of a blue sky is proof of (my) Gods existence. Dawkins arrogance prevents him accepting the Truth."
Asshole: "DID YOU HEAR ABOUT WHAT DAWKINS SAID ABOUT REBECCA WATSON???!!!???"

I love criticism. Good criticism makes me a better scientist. But bad criticism? Just makes you look like a fucking idiot.
That was brilliant!

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Gumby wrote:

I'd like to see how all of these, to include to topic of overpopulation, are interpreted through the lens of Feminism. :P
That's because dogs are better. No contest. :hand:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Dornier Pfeil wrote:
yomomma wrote:Let me ask you -- at what stage of gestation do you think is a viable baby? Do you believe in imposing restrictions on any kind of abortions at all? Even if you believe most women wouldn't have late term abortions or post viability abortions (assuming it's a healthy baby and mother), are any worth the price of allowing it? Personally, I don't want any viable babies to be aborted. Again, when I say viable, I mean, they can live outside the womb, are healthy, "normal", as in they will have a reasonably good quality of life and won't risk the life of the mother.

For *me*, it's a moral, nuanced conundrum. I want women to have full access in their first trimester, but I don't think women should be allowed to have full, unfettered access for any reason other than medical reasons (including those in which a baby's quality of life is significantly diminished) based on women's rights over the life of the baby. I hope I don't sound like an extremist, it just goes against the fiber of my humanity, like enlisting child soldiers to fight a war. KWIM?
I think the point you are missing is that pro-choicers don't think we have the right to decide that for someone else. It is not my power, privilege, right, entitlement, what have you, to decide something that only the mother and her doctor should be deciding. Viability is situational to the pregnancy in front of the mother/doctor and not solely a function of a calender count. That is the problem with this argument. You think you should have some kind of say in deciding something you have absolutely no knowledge about--namely someone else's physical/social condition and the physical condition of the fetus in a future that hasn't happened yet. Can you possibly know every eventuality a woman is likely to face that affects viability? Why do you think you deserve that?
When I lived in San Diego, the wife of my best friend was an OB/GYN, Sometimes bad things happen right up until the end. We're talking fetus' dying in the last week of pregnancy type of bad things such as the one woman who had developed Graves disease (hyperthyroidism) which caused a 9-month fetus to die of a heart-attack. The woman was scheduled to come in the next week for forced labor if she didn't drop. Instead, the healthy-through-pregnancy, well-developed and sound baby died.

Women can suddenly having their own medical problems, like eclampsia which can be very severe (multiple organ failure of the mother). Monkey 1 was born at 26 weeks because Crazy Ex developed eclampsia went into contractions, her water broke as she went into premature labor and then fell into a coma leaving the surgeons with necessity of performing a c-section to save both their lives.

Anyway, I have my feelings about abortion. I'm not a fan of it, to say the least.

But I know the risks of pregnancy. They're small, but they're not zero. And they're certainly not trivial when the pregnancy goes wrong. And, with very rare exception, not a single lawmaker has a fucking clue. So I keep my mouth shut, I support Planned Parenthood and I let the poor woman and her doctor make the decisions. It really isn't my goddamn life or business and I'll be damned if I don't fight those who have no business trying to make it their business.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

CommanderTuvok wrote:
EdwardGemmer wrote:BTW the @WIS3CFI Twitter page is apparently blocking a whole bunch of people. I'm interested in who it is blocking, especially secular women it is blocking. Thanks for checking!
I've seen suggestions that "@WIS3CFI" must have utilised the Block Bot!!!

Saying that, I've seen a tweet from Ron Lindsay (no friend of the Baboons) saying "they are looking into it". If that tweeter account has been signed up the Bot, then it is either a huge blunder, or CFI have removed their own spinal columns and are now brown-nosing Rebecca Watson's anal cavity.
It only takes one Melody Hensley to do it...

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

curriejean wrote:When I created the SkepticWomen facebook page and a new user account however many months ago, I got a lot of friend requests. I made the mistake of browsing my feed last night to find that it seems a name like "SkepticWomen" attracts feminists like flies to dead fish. Fun conversation today (I do not know this person):

http://i.imgur.com/vj3yat6.png

Discovered I'd been blocked when I tried to edit for clarity/sentence structure. Can't decide whether to laugh or cry, settling for slightly frustrated amusement. More evidence that one of the unstated aims of present day feminists is to control not just men, but other women. I get ultimatums like this nearly every time I challenge a feminist on facebook. Fucking SIWOTI syndrome, I should know better.
It sounds like you would be interested in listening to these women, especially on this weeks topic:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/avoiceform ... -pimp-hand

The show is live in about a couple of hours, but you can always listen later.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Gumby wrote:
Bread made with screwdrivers by aborted Palestinan fetuses named Zimmerman using Florida water cause more human overpopulation and resource depletion than Skittles made with hammers by Israelis named Trayvon using California water.

And if you don't agree with me you can shove a decaying porcupine up your ass.
image.jpg
(28.28 KiB) Downloaded 404 times

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

Dammit! Ninja'd by Gumby again!

And Lsuoma, I see why so many call you a fascist tit now. Only a fascist would be Anti-Skub. :snooty:

pro-smiley

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

tina wrote:
Gumby wrote:
I have both.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

JackRayner wrote:That's because dogs are better. No contest. :hand:
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/ ... o1_500.jpg

windy

Post by windy »

TheMan wrote:Time zone delay so forgive me for bringing up the topic of Post Modernism when someof you may think the topic is over.

I'm still trying to get my head around what it means and wikipedia is doing my head in. Someone is going to have to explain it to me in simplistic terms but as a way of an POV from myself is it akin to the notion that:

Because human observation is never free of bias scientists of different races/backgrounds will observe things in slightly different ways effecting the conslusions

I've heard this and variants in the past but while I've heard varients of this in the past I tended to dismiss it because I thought the scientific method would eventually filter out biases as it goes through reviews and testing.

But maybe the notion I metioned has nothing to do with Post Modernism and I'm way off the mark.
You're thinking of 'Dictionary postmodernism'. On FTB they are not bound by such puny limitations so it can mean "check your assumptions" or "are you sure?" or whatever you want. A lot of them seem to think postmodernism equals epistemology ("how can we know anything at all?", and that sort of thing)

Did anyone see the lulzy discussion about the age of the earth in the PoMo thread?
Pomo-earth.png
(33.39 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
you say the earth is “billions of years old”
:doh:

Well, it could be worse: if not for FTB, that discussion would be taking place on ScienceBlogs.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Those questions about the definition of the earth are fair, but that's not what post modernism is getting at.

JackRayner

Post by JackRayner »

AndrewV69 wrote:
JackRayner wrote:That's because dogs are better. No contest. :hand:
https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019B6/ ... o1_500.jpg
Hey man, I ain't judging.

All I know is 73.2% of the cats I've met throughout my life were cunts, and none of these do any work! By contrast, most of the dogs I know serve a purpose that isn't just lounging around the house, destroying toilet paper, or scratching the fuck out of you when they feel like it...

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Reading the blog allegedly increases sex drive. This time about Atheism, red letters, the puritans, wars of ideas and not-blowing-up-stuff. If it doesn't make sense, it won't later. Promise!
The Discordian Times wrote:The “Scarlet Letter” is an old pointy hat. Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote his magnum opus in 1850 and not too much later, in 2007, the Richard Dawkins Foundation came around with the idea that Atheists shall “out” themselves, too, with a scarlet A on their chest like the unfortunate characters of Hawthorne’s novel.
V in “V for Vendetta” wrote:Good evening, […] I thought it time we had a little talk. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin...
http://i.imgur.com/s8zW1ZP.jpg

decius

Post by decius »

Jan Steen wrote:There is this World Humanist Congress next year in Oxford and guess who hasn’t been invited? Still, Peezus would love to be there and between the lines he is practically e-begging for his sycophants to give him a semi-free vacation
Oh Joy!

The super-hospitable Dr. Pr. Richard Dawkins happens to live in Oxford. I'm confident that, under normal circumstances, he would have gladly put up teh Peezu for any length of time.

I love the smell of burnt bridges late at night.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

How uninformed can I be, never heard of automatic litter boxes. An interesting browse online.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

Tribble wrote:
tina wrote:
Gumby wrote:
I have both.
Accommodationist. :snooty:

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

DECIUS

Do you still post at RD.net? I've only posted there a few times in the last year or two, but it seems to me that the number of replies on articles is way down. Two years ago, Richard's clarification post would have had two pages of comments in an hour. It's been up all day and only has 26 replies (four of which are mine). Shame really.

BTW, Sally Strange showed up to respond to one of my analogies. Did you know that having your ass grabbed and being brutally raped are pretty much equivalent for the two victims? I learn something new every day.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Zenspace wrote:Accommodationist. :snooty:
Some of us choose to rise above such worldly quibbles and feel superior to both camps. I eat promite.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

The 'Pit can be a complex place.

Additional baskets of links may be required.

http://www.doxiepets.com/puppies2007/Pu ... sket_1.jpg

codelette

Post by codelette »

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

BTW folks, cats are nice, dogs too (although the poop eating thing does bother me) and also birds...I have them all in my house. Reptiles OTOH, rule as oolon drools...especially snakes...no competition really (unless we include spiders).

decius

Post by decius »

mordacious1 wrote:DECIUS

Do you still post at RD.net? I've only posted there a few times in the last year or two, but it seems to me that the number of replies on articles is way down. Two years ago, Richard's clarification post would have had two pages of comments in an hour. It's been up all day and only has 26 replies (four of which are mine). Shame really.

BTW, Sally Strange showed up to respond to one of my analogies. Did you know that having your ass grabbed and being brutally raped are pretty much equivalent for the two victims? I learn something new every day.

I don't. Most moderators act like authoritarian micromanagers. The floodgates opened long ago and most of the old guard got fed up rather quickly. Some major design fuck-ups along the way didn't help either.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: There's also the matter of how pop culture affects copyright. Once a phrase (like, "I'll google that"), meme or video clip is in the public domain enough, and the company doesn't shut it down, and it becomes part of the public consciousness, the company loses its legal right to pursue copyright cases because the work is considered to be public in a certain sense. If they wanted to retain their right to restrict content, they should have pursued it legally years ago when the infringement first happened.

Nooo, that's not copyright, that's trademark genericization. Copyright doesn't get the same treatment, though perhaps it ought to?

Xerox and zipper are examples of generic trademarks.
Oh right, haha. I always get those mixed up.

Well anyway, the point is mainly that someone can't get in trouble for saying "I'll google that" or using the word "velcro." I think copyright infringement should probably take a similar path, because memes certainly infringe copyright all the time. Those "One Does Not Simply" memes are using official LotR images from a commercial product. Ever hear of someone getting sued over them? Yeah, it'd be stupid. I think the same policy should apply to Downfall parodies. Although perhaps Fair Use already encompasses this territory. Unfortunately, Fair Use is defined in a very nebulous way and this makes it very confusing for legal teams and normal people who want to make music vidoes/parodies. The general YouTube policy of shooting first and asking copyright questions later doesn't help (although this policy is required by their legal team.)

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

DownThunder wrote:
Zenspace wrote:Accommodationist. :snooty:
Some of us choose to rise above such worldly quibbles and feel superior to both camps. I eat promite.
Elitist. :snooty:

(OK, I had to look Promite up. Today's lesson from the Pyt.)

windy

Post by windy »

DownThunder wrote:Those questions about the definition of the earth are fair, but that's not what post modernism is getting at.
Yes for the last part, but I wouldn't say the questions are "fair", either (at least, not for the purpose of showing that the age of the earth isn't an "objective fact"). They're confusing "objective" with absolute values.

They're also wrong about not having a "t-initial" for when the Earth started to form, we have it from the age of meteorites:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/dalrymp ... earth.html
The results of radiometric dating on meteorites clearly indicate that these objects formed about 4.6 billion years ago. Because astrophysical considerations require that the formation of the planets and meteorites by condensation from the solar nebula was essentially simultaneous, we can infer with considerable certainty that the age of the most primitive meteorites also is the age of formation of the Earth. Even if we wished to deny this inference, we would still be forced to conclude that meteorites, which must at least post date the formation of the Solar System and the universe, are no less than 4.6 billion years old.
And "mantle" and "crust" can't be necessary to define a planet because not all planets have them. I can haz scientifically literate examples of how science needs postmodernism, plz?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BarnOwl wrote:The 'Pit can be a complex place.

Additional baskets of links may be required.

http://www.doxiepets.com/puppies2007/Pu ... sket_1.jpg

http://media.marconews.com/media/img/ph ... 1_t607.JPG

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brain cleanser for those disturbed by the blue-hair hipster glasses duck picture:

http://www.tehcute.com/pics/201109/duck ... a-sink.jpg

acathode

Post by acathode »

decius wrote:I don't. Most moderators act like authoritarian micromanagers. The floodgates opened long ago and most of the old guard got fed up rather quickly. Some major design fuck-ups along the way didn't help either.
I have never posted or cared about the RD site, but I've seen the exact same thing happen to a few other sites. It's really interesting how fast overzealous moderators can completely depopulate a site, it's like the joy of discussing completely drains when people know they aren't allowed to freely express their ideas and arguments.

(It also kinda scary to see how the same mechanics seem to be playing out on a much larger scale in national politics in various European countries.)

decius

Post by decius »

Mordy, I give you a practical example of the absolute lack of nuance with how they apply their new rule against "self promotion".

It does so happen that the occasional creotard or pseudoscientist shows up and regurgitates derailing, unoriginal tripe.
Any attempt to direct them to a ready refutation on your personal blog will get you haughtily scolded and the link removed.
Copy paste of said material is also frowned upon, if I remember correctly.
In other words, they force people to act as forced typists for no good reason whatsoever, by conflating practicality with self-promotion.

decius

Post by decius »

acathode wrote: (It also kinda scary to see how the same mechanics seem to be playing out on a much larger scale in national politics in various European countries.)
Very true.