Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
James Caruthers

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by James Caruthers »

Ape+lust wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:Goddammit. The mainstream media seems to eat this bullshit up. Women brave, men sexist...
I worry a bit about this shit spilling out into the mainstream. Just when people are at long last unnerved by how far the GOP has run off the leash, Fox News will use the likes of Big Red to turn them back into "values" voters (Yeah she's Canadian, but in Dumbfuckistan, Obama's a Kenyan).

I worry more about the way the mainstream left is just lapping up every pile of shit tossed their way by 3rd-wave social justice warriors like Rebecca Watson and Sarkeesian. Fuck, I went to an actual student union meeting and the conversation at the end?

PATRIARCHY RAPE CULTURE MISOGYNY TEACH MEN NOT TO RAPE

In my fucking real life, dammit! This shit is supposed to stay on tumblr where it belongs! And the reaction outside of colleges seems to me to be largely positive in my city. :( Too many people aren't willing to do the research on things like the 77 cent wage gap myth (debunked and reported by both the right AND the left) and stats of male victims of domestic violence and rape (funny how prisons are excluded from discussions of male rape victims. Apparently you're not a victim if it happens in a prison).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prison_rap ... ted_States

So yeah, while I see your point of the right using SJW feminists as an excuse to take America even more to the right, they're fractured and fighting among themselves. The left is still fairly unified, and unfortunately they are unifying behind a platform that is even more receptive to 3rd wave feminists and patriarchy theory than what was there before.

James Caruthers

Dammit the quote got screwed up.
Ape+lust wrote:
I worry a bit about this shit spilling out into the mainstream. Just when people are at long last unnerved by how far the GOP has run off the leash, Fox News will use the likes of Big Red to turn them back into "values" voters (Yeah she's Canadian, but in Dumbfuckistan, Obama's a Kenyan).

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Parody Accountant wrote:Lyrically speaking, middle/late Beatles, and songs with only a single songwriting credit (i.e. one Beatle only)...

Great Beatles songs:

John wrote:
Across the Universe
Norweigan Wood
I'm So Tired
Hey You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
Lucy in the Sky
Dig a Pony
Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Revolution
Dear Prudence
Come Together
Strawberry Fields Forever
She Said She Said
Tomorrow Never Knows

Paul:
Yesterday
Let It Be
Get Back
Hey Bulldog is primarily a John song, very under-appreciated IMO:

[youtube]7LR0YXQt1TA[/youtube]

When my Sheltie was alive, I used to yell out the back door (in appropriate weather conditions) "Sheepdog! Standing in the rain!"

I'd also add A Day in the Life and Eleanor Rigby, but you've stipulated "single Beatle songs."

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

PZ is reading 50 shades of Grey and the Twilight series. Or so I heard.

Beatles early stuff sucks balls.. later stuff is meh imo but had a few diamonds in there.
Little compare to the sheer delight that is[youtube]vBecM3CQVD8[/youtube]
But even they were a bunch of cultural appropriating cunts.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

James Caruthers wrote:LeGuin? Hahaha, bullshit people buy LeGuin. Everyone is forced to read her in high school or college, and she's not even that good.

Asimov, Sterling, Van Vogt, Heinlein, Clarke, Gibson, Lovecraft, Wells, Ellis, Harrison, Verne.

Classic science fictions fans unite!
They teach LeGuin in school? I disagree with you on her. The Dispossessed, and The Left Hand of Darkness are classics.
And Heinlein sucks.

James Caruthers

Tribble wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:LeGuin? Hahaha, bullshit people buy LeGuin. Everyone is forced to read her in high school or college, and she's not even that good.

Asimov, Sterling, Van Vogt, Heinlein, Clarke, Gibson, Lovecraft, Wells, Ellis, Harrison, Verne.

Eighteen Locus awards, Dog. Eighteen. Which I'm pretty sure out-does anyone else on your list. Never mind the Nebula's, Hugo's, etc. Hell, just her books (never mind shorts, novellas, etc.) have won five Locus, four Nebula, two Hugo, and one World Fantasy Award. (One of them winning three of the four awards.)

Also, are you Canadian? Because Van Vogt should only be on a list of 'lousy SF writers who were also Canadian.'
Well, I think LeQuin is shit and my opinion is all that matters. :P

Okay yeah, people like her stuff. I thought Van Vogt's Slan was every bit as good as The Left Hand of Darkness.

You know those "year's best science fiction" compilations? Every year. EVERY year there's some totally shit stories in there. Sometimes by very famous authors. I'm not a fan of LeGuin's work.

And just to finish pissing everyone off, I like "Come Together" and that's the only song I like from The Beatles. Bleah.

Git

Post by Git »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Git wrote:Fuck the Beatles.

Bunch of complete arse, frankly.
Oh, fuck no. Now all we need is to find out that one of them was once stopped at the Israel/Palestine border with a screwdriver in his pocket, and there goes the Pit for the next three days.
I prefer the YardBirds/Cream/Sabbath model of Rock and/or Roll.

James Caruthers

I'm not a Heinlein fan meself, but he's a titan of the genre.

James Caruthers

katamari Damassi wrote:

They teach LeGuin in school? I disagree with you on her. The Dispossessed, and The Left Hand of Darkness are classics.
And Heinlein sucks.
I was forced to read her for college classes. Maybe not high school, but ANY genre of literature you take in high school, if it has female authors, you WILL be forced to read mostly female authors. Because feminism.

Thanks feminism!

James Caruthers

"in high school"

I mean in college.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

jimthepleb wrote:PZ is reading 50 shades of Grey and the Twilight series. Or so I heard.

Beatles early stuff sucks balls.. later stuff is meh imo but had a few diamonds in there.
Little compare to the sheer delight that is[youtube]vBecM3CQVD8[/youtube]
I love the Rolling Stones - got to see them in Wembley Stadium when I lived in London (thrill of a lifetime, really). But it you look at the albums I've dragged across the continental US several times, I'm a prog rock gal to the core. Lots of Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Genesis/Peter Gabriel, etc.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

BarnOwl wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:PZ is reading 50 shades of Grey and the Twilight series. Or so I heard.

Little compare to the sheer delight that is[youtube]vBecM3CQVyoutube]
I love the Rolling Stones - got to see them in Wembley Stadium when I lived in London (thrill of a lifetime, really). But it you look at the albums I've dragged across the continental US several times, I'm a prog rock gal to the core. Lots of Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Genesis/Peter Gabriel, etc.
Big thumbs up for the Tull. :dance: :clap: :clap: :dance:

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Guest wrote:
So fuck all of you here and check your Beatles hating privilege.
[youtube]Cz7uMZ_JQ7c[/youtube]

(For everyone. Start at 6:20 if you're too stupid to appreciate the Frulads...)

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Sunder wrote: I wonder what PZ's bookshelf actually looks like sometimes.
25,000 unsold copies of The Crappy Atheist.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

John Greg wrote: Another example, from literature, that I like to use in this argument is Margaret Atwood, Canada's most successful author. A lot of people, including highly literary people, do not like her work because so much of it demands such a deep literary knowledge and is literaly overflowing with allusion to other literary works, which, if you do not know them will limit your understanding and enjoyment of her work. However, even the highly literary people who do not like her work would not for even a second say she is a bad writer -- she is undeniably a brilliant, deeply skilled writer. But dense, man, dense.
I would argue that Atwood is still readable at the most basic level where you do not get the allusions. Try that with Joyce and it simply does not work.

My experience with him is that I first read Finnegans Wake and then afterwards Ulysses and it was only while I was reading latter that the light bulb went on that I had probably missed the majority of the references in the former.

In my defence I was only 16 and had just finished reading Homer hence the reason for only figuring it out at that point.

Anyway, if you want dense try Joyce. He makes Atwood look like a novice in my opinion. I am pretty sure that I never got more than a fraction of the allusions in Finnegans Wake.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Sunder wrote: I wonder what PZ's bookshelf actually looks like sometimes.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... b010b9.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:

Little compare to the sheer delight that is[youtube]vBecM3CQVyoutube]
Big thumbs up for the Tull. :dance: :clap: :clap: :dance:
Agree: TaaB is one of my favourite albums. I also like early Hawkwind, plus Curved Air.

Oh, and Floyd turned into nothing but completely pretentious wank after Dark Side. The best album was Piper at the Gates, no risk.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote: I'm a prog rock gal to the core. Lots of Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Genesis/Peter Gabriel, etc.
:clap: You go girl! At least the Floyd, Yes, and Rush parts.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

AndrewV69 wrote: I would argue that Atwood is still readable at the most basic level where you do not get the allusions. Try that with Joyce and it simply does not work.
Ha, mention of Margaret Atwood gives me a reason to post another Fruvid!!

[youtube]5MeQK7JtLpU[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

And because the first words are "'Boon, Big Baboon, Big Baboon, Big Baboon":

[youtube]5MeQK7JtLpU[/youtube]
I was a HUGE fan of the Lads, and wish they'd reform.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

OOPS - make that:

[youtube]uYh7x9UX0vI[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote:
BarnOwl wrote: I'm a prog rock gal to the core. Lots of Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Genesis/Peter Gabriel, etc.
:clap: You go girl! At least the Floyd, Yes, and Rush parts.
I think Fragile has to be my favorite Yes album - Roundabout and Long Distance Runaround are absolutely brilliant.

Peter Gabriel's songs are often about his penis, so only a chill girl could bear to listen to him. I have all his solo albums - the earlier ones weren't easy to find in the US. I still think Shock the Monkey is one of the best music videos ever.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Those dumb fuckers who follow Meyers's blog are are on his intellectual level.

On the weekend he goes to some Bigfoot conference (and wonders on his latest post "What have I gotten myself into?", yet again playing the bumbling professor who has stumbled into the conference, rather than a calculating master of self-promotion and image manipulation), one of his commenters turns out to be into a bit of the woo himself.

http://i.imgur.com/wVoUNyl.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-707884

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Chanting for boredom is a new kind of parlor trick. Self-fulfilling prophecy, if done in the target's presence.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

[youtube]JKw8SqqeCJ0[/youtube]

<--- Frothed!

windy

Post by windy »

John Greg wrote: Another example, from literature, that I like to use in this argument is Margaret Atwood, Canada's most successful author. A lot of people, including highly literary people, do not like her work because so much of it demands such a deep literary knowledge and is literaly overflowing with allusion to other literary works, which, if you do not know them will limit your understanding and enjoyment of her work. However, even the highly literary people who do not like her work would not for even a second say she is a bad writer -- she is undeniably a brilliant, deeply skilled writer. But dense, man, dense.
While Atwood has definitely cranked out some classics, I have to say her recently finished dystopian 'MaddAddam' trilogy was mostly trite. "Pigoons", "AnooYoo", "HottTotts"... :puke-huge:
(And I've read some pretty "dense" SF like Wolfe or Delany - that wasn't the problem.)

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Brave Hero Radio - live in one minute!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... e-gambling

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BarnOwl wrote:[.youtube]JKw8SqqeCJ0[/youtube]

<--- Frothed!
Love that. My first Yes album was the triple-LP live Yessongs. Many a bong was smoked to that album, I assure you.

windy

Post by windy »

Lsuoma wrote:And because the first words are "'Boon, Big Baboon, Big Baboon, Big Baboon":

I was a HUGE fan of the Lads, and wish they'd reform.
Same here! I saw them live once :dance:

[youtube]h0ERKRmMTr8[/youtube]

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Once I had an income I decided I would buy whatever books I liked, rather than attempting to read the classics. Consequently I spent a few years in the mid-seventies on science fiction, and I can still say I like LeGuin's 'The Dispossessed' to the point where I would like to try living in a small anarchist society. Of course, I later discovered why the classics are classic and went on to read all I could and still do.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Gumby wrote:

<--- Frothed!
Love that. My first Yes album was the triple-LP live Yessongs. Many a bong was smoked to that album, I assure you.
I spent hours listening to my albums, looking at the cover art, reading the liner notes, and drawing or embroidering scenes from Middle-earth.

Might still do that on occasion, 30+ years later. :mrgreen:

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

bovarchist wrote:Oh dammit.

In one of James Morrow's books, he said that fewer than 70 people have ever read Gibbon's 'Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' from beginning to end. For years I've been using that fact as party small-talk. And now I just got an email from him telling me he just made it up. Hey, you know what? I'm going to keep spreading that meme! Why should I be the token saint?
I must be #71.

James Caruthers

screwtape wrote:

Once I had an income I decided I would buy whatever books I liked, rather than attempting to read the classics. Consequently I spent a few years in the mid-seventies on science fiction, and I can still say I like LeGuin's 'The Dispossessed' to the point where I would like to try living in a small anarchist society. Of course, I later discovered why the classics are classic and went on to read all I could and still do.
I haven't read The Dispossessed. It may be excellent, who knows.

The thing about classics is they provide a nice place to start. The Foundation Trilogy are a great example. If you're new to what makes Science Fiction Science Fiction, you get a nice dose of everything from SF's golden age, and it's a very easy read. I Robot is another excellent one. And the same is true for the cyberpunk classics of Schismatrix, Neuromancer and Snow Crash. Someone who has read those three books, even if they've read nothing else, already gets cyberpunk. And they can go from Schismatrix to System Shock 2 to Halo (The Flood/Swarm) to Deus Ex and completely understand where the game's creators were coming from.

So classics are, to me, mostly a time saver and a good indication of critically-acclaimed stories. Sort of like going to IMDB and sorting movies by the top ratings. You're going to get a lot of films that just can't be called "bad" in any sense, even if you personally dislike them.

And why the need to save time? Because, like the fantasy and detective genres, science fiction is chock-full of derivative, stupid, overlong running series that stretch off into infinity. I tried to get into the works of that C.J. Cherryh writer, but I couldn't deal with how many books she wrote. At least with Foundation, Wetwire (and subsequent "wire" novels) or The Stainless Steel Rat, you can pretty much leave off wherever you want.

James Caruthers

Dammit that's "wetware" not "wetwire." Wetware by Rudy Rucker. Brillo stuff.

Wetwire apparently leads to a google result of feminist lesbian erotica.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Suet Cardigan wrote:Something I learned today: The insignia of SPECTRE, the evil crime organization in the James Bond books/films, is an octopus.

http://www.chud.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... PECTRE.gif
Don't forget the network of Super-Villains in the 1966 Adam West Batman movie:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-kbBYze56-d0/T ... y+1966.jpg

James Caruthers

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz6xg ... o1_400.png
Have you had your cyberpunk feminism for today?

Social Justice Warriors... FOR THE FUTURE!!!

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Lsuoma wrote: Agree: TaaB is one of my favourite albums. I also like early Hawkwind, plus Curved Air.
In the summer of 1975 I worked at a lab attached to a sewage works analysing the output of Swindon (UK) as London would be drinking the stuff the next day. One of my jobs was to supervise the portapotties at the disused Watchfield aerodrome (I used to fly single channel thermal soarers there, and occasionally crash the odd powered balsa and tissue paper jobbie) where there was to be a pop festival. Hawkwind were the main attraction, but failed to turn up. I spent most of it watching one of my colleagues from the lab who grew a great deal of marijuana on the storm land of the sewage works sell his product to people who were, fascinatingly, walking around naked. As a 17 year old virgin, this was a really pleasant way to spend a few hot summer days.

Curved Air's Second Album is still a favourite.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Hawkwind were the main attraction, but failed to turn up.
So you missed out on seeing Stacia in the flesh?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EqD_yWiiS5U/S ... 0/_000.jpg

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

BarnOwl wrote: I spent hours listening to my albums, looking at the cover art, reading the liner notes, and drawing or embroidering scenes from Middle-earth.

Yay! Other Yes fans at the slymepit. This is Yes at their absolute pinnacle:

[youtube]Vd4jeeu90Rk[/youtube]

I am also a huge fan of the much-maligned 'Tales From Topographic Oceans'.

P.S. Rush rules, The Who rules, Asimov rules. Stones suck, Heinlein sucks. Beatles are OK.

I could not care less about lyrics.

And congratulations, ERV! :D

Post by Guest »

James Caruthers wrote:http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz6xg ... o1_400.png

Jesus, what webcomic is that?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
Hawkwind were the main attraction, but failed to turn up.
So you missed out on seeing Stacia in the flesh?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_EqD_yWiiS5U/S ... 0/_000.jpg
This Stacia? Get it right!

http://hawkwindblog.files.wordpress.com ... acia-1.jpg

(And by right, I mean complete - include the two main attractions)

She left after Warrior, IIRC, so in '75 she might not have been at the festival.

Slightly OT, I remember seeing Gallagher and Lyle supporting Judie Tzuke at the Colston Hall in Bristol (I was the Student's Union photographer for BACUS, the student newspaper, and got free entry to pretty much every event). During some of the banter, G or L (never knew which fucker was which) pointed out JT's popularity, said she was very big in the Bristol area...

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

This Stacia? Get it right!

(And by right, I mean complete - include the two main attractions)
Patriarchal sexist pig - reducing a woman to a huge pair of knockers blah blah etc etc.

:naughty:

Confession: When I typed that Stacia post, at first, instead "in the flesh" I wrote "in the felsh", which sounds disturbingly like felch. Freudian slip or not? You decide.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

James Caruthers wrote:And why the need to save time? Because, like the fantasy and detective genres, science fiction is chock-full of derivative, stupid, overlong running series that stretch off into infinity. I tried to get into the works of that C.J. Cherryh writer, but I couldn't deal with how many books she wrote. At least with Foundation, Wetwire (and subsequent "wire" novels) or The Stainless Steel Rat, you can pretty much leave off wherever you want.
I am a C.J. Cherryh fan and I believe that I have read every single book authored by her so perhaps I may make some recommendations?

This book is one of my favourites Cuckoo's Egg.

I would also suggest the more lengthy Cyteen (the complete book not the one broken into three).

I also liked Hammerfall (2001) and Forge of Heaven (2004) from the The Gene Wars universe.

I would recommend the Foreigner series but I suspect that it may be too much for you seeing as currently there are 14 books published in the series with number 15 scheduled for release in April 2014 and at least another three in the works after that.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

BarnOwl wrote:
Gumby wrote:

<--- Frothed!
I spent hours listening to my albums, looking at the cover art, reading the liner notes, and drawing or embroidering scenes from Middle-earth.

Fellow Yesshead here; I've seen good people!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

SkepticalCat wrote:
BarnOwl wrote: I spent hours listening to my albums, looking at the cover art, reading the liner notes, and drawing or embroidering scenes from Middle-earth.

[.youtube]Vd4jeeu90Rk[/youtube]
Good stuff. I saw them twice in concert, once from the front row, but unfortunately both times were after Rick Wakeman had departed. Still, it was pretty awesome - standing on my chair in the middle of the front row getting deafened by the jam at the end of "Starship Trooper" is one of my favorite concert memories.
I have it, but I've only listened to it a couple of times. To me it's a big bore, so I guess you can count me as a maligner :D
P.S. Rush rules
Yes they do, although I haven't listened to any of their more recent stuff. I kind of stopped at "Moving Pictures", which was an amazing album given that they went in such a different direction from their earlier efforts, yet it didn't feel like they "sold out". Another favorite concert memory is of Geddy and the boys blasting out "2112".

I never mentioned my love of Rush when I posted on Pharyngula, given that the close-minded numbnuts there would have attacked me for liking a band whose lyricist was formerly a somewhat avid fan of Ayn Rand (which as I'm sure you know, "2112" was an adaptation of Anthem). Hell, I didn't care about that shit... I just thought the music rocked.

Southern

Post by Southern »

John Greg wrote:Southern, to some degree what you are doing is equating something you personally do not like with that something being bad and/or taking or requiring no skill and/or talent to create. That's OK, most people do that without realizing it.

To say Hey Jude is a bad song is simply laughable and ridiculous. It is one of the great pop rock songs of the late 60s. To say you don't like it, it makes you barf, whatever, is fine -- we all have different tastes.

That is also true with Chad Kroeger (or however it's spelt). I don't like his stuff either, but to be aware, as he clearly is, of how to write an inescapabley catchy series of hooks, and base a multi-million dollar earnings, multi-decade career on it takes a fucking huge amount of skill and talent. Of course, whether it is valid or lasting art is altogether a discussion for another time and place.

Another example, from literature, that I like to use in this argument is Margaret Atwood, Canada's most successful author. A lot of people, including highly literary people, do not like her work because so much of it demands such a deep literary knowledge and is literaly overflowing with allusion to other literary works, which, if you do not know them will limit your understanding and enjoyment of her work. However, even the highly literary people who do not like her work would not for even a second say she is a bad writer -- she is undeniably a brilliant, deeply skilled writer. But dense, man, dense.
Ok, this is the last thing I'm gonna say about this, because I don't want to start another Palestinian screwdriver discussion, so bear with me. But I can point two fatal flaws on "Hey Jude" that disqualify it as "one of the greatest pop rock songs of the 60": rhyming a word with itself ("better" with "better") and a boring, repetitive, and too damn long singalong part. I mean, please. I don't tolerate that on modern rappers like Nicky Minaj and Flo-Rida, I don't tolerate it on the Beatles. It's the principles, not the lemon pie.

About Chad Kroeger: have you heard his voice?! It's worse than nails on a chalkboard - raspy, out-of-key, overall terrible. And his songs are either generic pop rock, inane crap, or recicled generic pop rock, inane crap:

[youtube]QtAoKlAyhUY[/youtube]

Also, making millions with pop music nowdays says nothing about quality - Ms. Hanna Montana with her "Disney Princess Gone Wrong" shtick is making millions without any artistic qualities, and should I start considering that other Canuck that looks like an ugly lesbian skilled and talented because he makes millions of dollars of dumb people with no taste for music? Never.

There, now I'll stop before everybody starts to complain about this discussion.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Classic Rush from 1976...

[youtube]FUcbGMdfV2M[/youtube]

James Caruthers

I was going to post a Cartman "The FUCK?" video response, but shit, I can't find a good one.

Seriously, what the hell is this shit? And why do some people take these deluded nutters seriously? Why is this kind of thing becoming mainstream? This is literally a case of women seeing dicks everywhere, and seeing oppression everywhere they see dicks. Which is everywhere. A woman like this looks outside at trees and sees a line of big, erect penises planning to rape her. The comments are heartening, at least.

I wonder how a gender-reversed article would have been received. You know, a man making a poor connection between woman and some food that only slightly resembles female genitals in some way, and then talking about how horrible this is? Would we laugh it off? Or call it hate speech?

And since my Cartman video didn't pan out, I'm posting this instead:
[youtube]FoRF0rJ5Wak[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Somebody had better tie Zvan down before she ascends bodily to heaven. Answering critics for her Christie Wilcox call-out, she's just glowing with nobility and rectitude:

http://www.freezepage.com/1382233032TBCTBLDIZA

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Okay, I literally slept all day today. Woke up a few times to watch TV, then fell back asleep.

Awake now-- Just noticed this:
Dinner with Richard Dawkins and Michael Shermer
A dinner to meet Richard Dawkins was held in Los Angeles on 16th October. Because tickets for that dinner sold out so quickly ($500 each in aid of the Richard Dawkins Foundation), a second dinner was arranged. Tickets for this dinner also sold out quickly, and it was held on 17th Oct. Because there is STILL a demand for tickets, Michael Shermer has kindly offered to host a third dinner, at his home in the Los Angeles area on Sunday, October 20th at 6:00pm with Richard Dawkins.
$30K for RDF with 3 nights of work.

Damn!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Also for you Rush fans out there, the Classic Albums documentary series did a two-hour special on the making of "2112" and "Moving Pictures" that I saw on Netflix recently. It's a good watch, and it's on Youtube in its entirety here:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

James Caruthers wrote:
I was going to post a Cartman "The FUCK?" video response, but shit, I can't find a good one.

Seriously, what the hell is this shit? And why do some people take these deluded nutters seriously? Why is this kind of thing becoming mainstream? This is literally a case of women seeing dicks everywhere, and seeing oppression everywhere they see dicks. Which is everywhere. A woman like this looks outside at trees and sees a line of big, erect penises planning to rape her. The comments are heartening, at least.

I wonder how a gender-reversed article would have been received. You know, a man making a poor connection between woman and some food that only slightly resembles female genitals in some way, and then talking about how horrible this is? Would we laugh it off? Or call it hate speech?
There's already a gender-reversed article. She's lampooning this idiot.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

ERV wrote:Okay, I literally slept all day today. Woke up a few times to watch TV, then fell back asleep.

Awake now-- Just noticed this:
Dinner with Richard Dawkins and Michael Shermer
A dinner to meet Richard Dawkins was held in Los Angeles on 16th October. Because tickets for that dinner sold out so quickly ($500 each in aid of the Richard Dawkins Foundation), a second dinner was arranged. Tickets for this dinner also sold out quickly, and it was held on 17th Oct. Because there is STILL a demand for tickets, Michael Shermer has kindly offered to host a third dinner, at his home in the Los Angeles area on Sunday, October 20th at 6:00pm with Richard Dawkins.
$30K for RDF with 3 nights of work.

Damn!

... and meanwhile, Rebecca Watson e-begs for pennies. :dance:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

James Caruthers wrote:http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz6xg ... o1_400.png

Meyers is obsessed with calling himself a nerd. So...

James Caruthers

Ape+lust wrote:
There's already a gender-reversed article. She's lampooning this idiot.
Well damn. That's pretty stupid. So wait, are the Guardian and HuffPo firing warning shots across the bow or something?

Who the fuck cares about cupcakes? I knew a girl who was chemically addicted (lol, she claims) to chocolate highs.

Post by Guest »

James Caruthers wrote:

And since my Cartman video didn't pan out, I'm posting this instead:
[youtube]FoRF0rJ5Wak[/youtube]
I don't think anyone is taking it seriously. It's a humor piece and if anything she's ragging on the cupcake article.

http://i.imgur.com/9elJxwz.jpg

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Two seperate tourists asked if i'm Banksy in Chelsea today, so I must be doing something right/wrong.

Voryn

Post by Voryn »

Gumby wrote:
SkepticalCat wrote:

[.youtube]Vd4jeeu90Rk[/youtube]
Good stuff. I saw them twice in concert, once from the front row, but unfortunately both times were after Rick Wakeman had departed. Still, it was pretty awesome - standing on my chair in the middle of the front row getting deafened by the jam at the end of "Starship Trooper" is one of my favorite concert memories.
I have it, but I've only listened to it a couple of times. To me it's a big bore, so I guess you can count me as a maligner :D
P.S. Rush rules
Yes they do, although I haven't listened to any of their more recent stuff. I kind of stopped at "Moving Pictures", which was an amazing album given that they went in such a different direction from their earlier efforts, yet it didn't feel like they "sold out". Another favorite concert memory is of Geddy and the boys blasting out "2112".

I never mentioned my love of Rush when I posted on Pharyngula, given that the close-minded numbnuts there would have attacked me for liking a band whose lyricist was formerly a somewhat avid fan of Ayn Rand (which as I'm sure you know, "2112" was an adaptation of Anthem). Hell, I didn't care about that shit... I just thought the music rocked.
Thank biscuits! RUSH FANS! I'm a bit shunned around town because I'm a Rush fan and everyone else seems to hate them. I dropped a ultra shiny pretty penny to watch Rush in their latest tour for Clockwork Angels. The new album has a nice hard rock/metal feel to it, there are a few songs I don't really care for, but overall I enjoyed it. The show was great too, a little pricey for me, but then again I'm not much of a concert goer so it could have been normal. Worth it though.