Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
welch

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by welch »

Badger3k wrote:Finally saw PZ's post on DJ. He makes the really, really stupid comment:
Just beware, transsexuals: you must meet DJ Grothe’s high standards before appearing in public. You will be judged.
What an idiot. Anyone appearing in public is going to be judged a thousand times, by anyone and everyone, and their dog too. There are whole websites devoted to it. There are internet memes about appearances.

I didn't check the time, but he also decided to judge someone's artwork. Do we need to warn artists that their standards better be up to PZ's - you will be judged? This also brings back to the whole "Who gives a fuck what strangers might think? Are you trying to impress them?" Yes, there are social situations where appearance is important, but if you're not in one of those (say, job interview or wedding), so what? Look at people in awl-mart (the stereotype) and other places. I see more people's underwear (saggy pants) and freaking pajamas - sweatpants are one thing, but pajamas - how lazy can you be that you can't even get dressed after getting up? Oops - I judged somebody. Guess I lost my SJW card...well, never had one - hey, does that make me underprivileged? Can I get victim points? :think:
Just so long as they aren't eating a corndog. PZ will judge the FUCK out of you if you eat a corndog.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

In theory I have no problem with using "gender" to refer to cultural aspects and "sex" to refer to biological aspects, with the stipulations that 1) these are overlapping categories that are still little understood, and 2) science (not ideology) can help us get a better grip on the whole nature–nurture thing.

But the SJW crowd pretend that the science is settled so that they can claim that their sociopolitical ideology is fact-based. The mere suggestion that nature–nurture might not work in quite the way they think it does and should be further studied is met with "PATRIARCHY!!#!#!@!!111!"

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Speculation about Mayhew's suspension has - naturally - led to Oolon creeping out of the woodwork, suggesting that it was because of her fake followers.

Now, far be it for me to fuel the flames, but wasn't the Blockbot suspended using this same trick? It couldn't be the case - gasp - could it that somebody has just volunteered themselves as a culprit?

welch

Post by welch »

jet_lagg wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:No surprises to see who is busy behind the scenes.

http://i.imgur.com/JTRwF9f.jpg

Am I missing something here? Surely Sara Mayhew is already on the blockbot list of evil.
I don't understand the need to report her tweets to the blockbot over and over again.
Should just one addition of her twitter account to the blocked list be enough?

Unless, of course, doing so has some other effect, like generating automated reports that cause the blockee's account to be suspended.
:think:
Is there really evidence that

a) the automated reports cause the blockee's account to be suspended?

b) the A+ people know this and purposefully exploit it?

Perhaps we could do an experiment.
In answer to a) yes, there's a significant amount of circumstantial evidence to that end, esp. early on when being put on level one would also report your account as spam

b) it's happened at least once.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Coyne's hits are close to 25 million, and he talks about when he's going to hit the magic number. He gets in a nice jab at the SJWs:
Since we have about 20,000-25,000 views per day, I expect the odometer will tick over at around 1 p.m. Chicago time. (I could make it sooner if I wanted to post some traffic-inducing drama like criticizing Richard Dawkins for tw**ting about his airport experience with a jar of honey, but you know I wouldn’t sink that low.)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Huehuehue wrote:
Oolon has long stated there's no report function on any of the block bot levels other than level 1 (the one for worst offenders). I believe he has also stated this auto flag of level 1 blocks has also been removed.

I cannot recall any evidence being provided that the Block Bot itself has caused the suspension of accounts. Some accounts placed on the Block Bot have been suspended, but that of course doesn't really prove anything. (Assuming the Block Bot admins at level 1 does the job correctly, it would hardly be surprising that accounts placed there would get suspended.)
I know oolon has denied that it does anything to directly cause accounts to be suspended but considering that oolon lies about almost everything I don't tend to take his pronouncements with much seriousness.

My main question is why there is any need for reporting a person who is already blocked, to the blockbot.
It's not like you are there for a day or two and need to say something newly horrendous to the commentariat in order to be reported again - a kind of recharging of your block level before you become automatically unblocked.
When you look at the actual contents of the tweets themselves - most notably the links to the 'offending' tweets, plus the occasional use of the @[+ username], then it's clear that it's based on reporting the actual tweets themselves. This becomes apparent when you actually go ahead and report a tweet you find report-worthy. For example:

http://i.imgur.com/aAPQFdB.png

As you can see, the @ tag plus link to the tweet in question is necessary - so it's clearly part of a system to report tweets that Ooley and his buddies don't like. As to whether this is now a function of the Bot - well, who knows. But one must ask - why go to such efforts of reporting said tweets if there not any consequences for the 'offending' tweeter? Maybe...lot's of people reporting a tweet might get that tweeter suspended, perhaps?

Anyways, here's the tweet by Ooley I found especially offensive, which will be duly reported: https://twitter.com/ool0n/status/397760888985235456

Please note that it seems to help if you have already blocked the user you are reporting - even if only temporarily. It's also necessary to supply some more details as to why you're filing the report, so I'll also be sure to let twitter know about Oolon's habit of nasty and offensive trolling.

SPACKlick

Post by SPACKlick »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Peezus has now found definitive proof for 'Rape Culture'!

It's a line of underwear that is reinforced such that it is very difficult for a rapist to remove and thus designed to discourage the act of rape (presumably it is designed to frustrate opportunistic rapists.)
It is reported also here:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... lture.html

But to Peezus it is simply a chastity belt and evidence of rape culture.
Teh idiots.

From the AR wear campaign
Rape is about as wrong as it gets. The only one responsible for a rape is the rapist and AR Wear will not solve the fundamental problem that rape exists in our world. Only by raising awareness and education, as well as bringing rapists to justice, can we all hope to eventually accomplish the goal of eliminating rape as a threat to both women and men. Meanwhile, as long as sexual predators continue to populate our world, AR Wear would like to provide products to women and girls that will offer better protection against some attempted rapes while the work of changing society's rape culture moves forward.
The manufacturers believe in rape culture, believe in ending it through education and want to protect women in the mean time. Oh the huge svanity.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

SPACKlick wrote:
Gumby wrote:Nebraska is flatter than both those other states so fuck off and die!*

... and another legendary Pit argument begins :lol:

*No, I didn't actually check.
By the simplest measure, Florida is the flattest state (only 105 vertical metres from highest to lowest point, 8 times flatter than north dakota)
By measuring in increments (a sort of average steepness measure) of 1km then Delaware is the flattest.
Unfortunately I can't find a video of the Frulads here, but check out the lyrics to "The Lowest Highest Point" from Live Noise.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

welch wrote:
DownThunder wrote:
My first reaction is: wow, Grothe, dont be such a cunt.

I haven't read the whole FB thread, but it strikes me that communication is impossible. You have one group of people that is so intent on painting someone as pure evil, that Grothe's friends tend to go to the other extreme, into condonation just to mount a defence.
I thought it was kind of a stupid thing to say.

Yep. That's still what I think. Kinda dumb. Oh well. Everyone's Kinda Dumb Sometimes.
I read it as an example of the type of catty comments that seems common amongst gay men when talking about other gay men (the sort of stuff that straight men would never get away with if they had said it.)
At this stage I'm not sure what Grothe's intention was with the comment. He must know that the skepchicks are camped out on his facebook timeline, circling like a pack of online hyenas, just waiting for him to slip up so they can pounce.
Maybe he just doesn't care any more and was just trolling them.

welch

Post by welch »

Tigzy wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Huehuehue wrote:
Oolon has long stated there's no report function on any of the block bot levels other than level 1 (the one for worst offenders). I believe he has also stated this auto flag of level 1 blocks has also been removed.

I cannot recall any evidence being provided that the Block Bot itself has caused the suspension of accounts. Some accounts placed on the Block Bot have been suspended, but that of course doesn't really prove anything. (Assuming the Block Bot admins at level 1 does the job correctly, it would hardly be surprising that accounts placed there would get suspended.)
I know oolon has denied that it does anything to directly cause accounts to be suspended but considering that oolon lies about almost everything I don't tend to take his pronouncements with much seriousness.

My main question is why there is any need for reporting a person who is already blocked, to the blockbot.
It's not like you are there for a day or two and need to say something newly horrendous to the commentariat in order to be reported again - a kind of recharging of your block level before you become automatically unblocked.
When you look at the actual contents of the tweets themselves - most notably the links to the 'offending' tweets, plus the occasional use of the @[+ username], then it's clear that it's based on reporting the actual tweets themselves. This becomes apparent when you actually go ahead and report a tweet you find report-worthy. For example:

http://i.imgur.com/aAPQFdB.png

As you can see, the @ tag plus link to the tweet in question is necessary - so it's clearly part of a system to report tweets that Ooley and his buddies don't like. As to whether this is now a function of the Bot - well, who knows. But one must ask - why go to such efforts of reporting said tweets if there not any consequences for the 'offending' tweeter? Maybe...lot's of people reporting a tweet might get that tweeter suspended, perhaps?

Anyways, here's the tweet by Ooley I found especially offensive, which will be duly reported: https://twitter.com/ool0n/status/397760888985235456

Please note that it seems to help if you have already blocked the user you are reporting - even if only temporarily. It's also necessary to supply some more details as to why you're filing the report, so I'll also be sure to let twitter know about Oolon's habit of nasty and offensive trolling.
To be fair, Mayhew spends a lot of time @-messaging people who pretty clearly don't like her. they've been pretty clear on that and that they don't want to talk to her. regardless of how much of a bag of douches they are, making a case for her harassing people via Twitter is not exactly difficult.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

welch wrote: To be fair, Mayhew spends a lot of time @-messaging people who pretty clearly don't like her. they've been pretty clear on that and that they don't want to talk to her. regardless of how much of a bag of douches they are, making a case for her harassing people via Twitter is not exactly difficult.
Here's what I don't get: if you don't want to receive tweets from people you don't like and you block them, what exactly are you doing that allows you to continue to see any tweets from those people?

Honestly, I already know the answer to this (cough, vanity search). If we're talking about tweets that include you in a conversation that has someone you've blocked mentioned, you have to go through the convo trail to figure out what all has been said. Why do this if you don't wish to see tweets from people you've blocked (cough, pro-vic)?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

welch wrote: To be fair, Mayhew spends a lot of time @-messaging people who pretty clearly don't like her. they've been pretty clear on that and that they don't want to talk to her. regardless of how much of a bag of douches they are, making a case for her harassing people via Twitter is not exactly difficult.
Quite. I have long wondered why she transgresses continually into catty arguments with Watson; it does not make her look good.

However, if this was not a coordinated takedown, I'll eat my hat. Here's my hypothesis:
  • She was reported for abusive tweets.
  • She was reported for having bought fake followers deliberalely (albeit as an exercise). Oolon seems to know an awful lot about this, and zeroed in on it very quickly when pressed.
All of the above are borderline (and I think she was rude, but not abusive) but it's conceivably enough to get her into trouble.

welch

Post by welch »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Here's what I don't get: if you don't want to receive tweets from people you don't like and you block them, what exactly are you doing that allows you to continue to see any tweets from those people?

Honestly, I already know the answer to this (cough, vanity search). If we're talking about tweets that include you in a conversation that has someone you've blocked mentioned, you have to go through the convo trail to figure out what all has been said. Why do this if you don't wish to see tweets from people you've blocked (cough, pro-vic)?
Oh I agree on the vanity search. But by twitter's rules, Sara made it really easy for people to show this kind of thing. if you're just talking about people, and not using their handle at all, it's a lot harder to make the case for harassment. "talking shit" is still different.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

I looked-up Ogvorbis's family vacation story, and was delighted to see that he was describing a trip from Janesville Wisconsin to Yellowstone.

Surely, in the next paragraph, he would regale us with a tale of the sun rising in the West, over Mount Fargo and the towering Minnesota Rockies of Eastern North Dakota.

Alas, no. The mountains are an artifact of Brive's inaccurate paraphrasing. And no sunrise, only dark clouds and hail. And tornadoes, which Ogvorbis continued driving-toward-- with a dubious 'family dogpile' survival plan.

Ogvorbis did, however, give us one small gift:
Coming over the high ground to the east of Bismark, we spotted some funnel clouds on the horizon. We tuned in to the radio and listened to all the warnings. And kept going into town.

We found our hotel and checked in just in time to hear the sirens go off. We put the kids in the bathtub and decided that, if worse came to worse, (((Wife))) and I could just lay over the tub to protect them. The heavy winds passed and we decided it was safe to look outside.
Ahh, yes... the High Ground East Of Bismarck. Please enjoy a panoramic Google Street View tour! :)
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=67+1%2F2 ... gplus-ogsb

And, putting aside this lighthearted bit of silliness, all fun drains away, as I turn my attention to Ogvorbis's many comments about rape.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Lsuoma wrote:Coyne's hits are close to 25 million, and he talks about when he's going to hit the magic number. He gets in a nice jab at the SJWs:
Since we have about 20,000-25,000 views per day, I expect the odometer will tick over at around 1 p.m. Chicago time. (I could make it sooner if I wanted to post some traffic-inducing drama like criticizing Richard Dawkins for tw**ting about his airport experience with a jar of honey, but you know I wouldn’t sink that low.)
Part of me wishes a guy like Coyne wouldn't even bother making oblique references to SJW bullshit because it just feeds their egos to have someone with actual credentials acknowledge them at all, but I can't deny that that puts big grin on my face.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Karmakin wrote: There are outliers where one's internal makeup is completely at odds with one's external makeup. I see no problem with wanting to fix that.
Nor do I. But I don't see the need for the next Great Progressive Civil Rights Movement to address the issue.

...I'm making the argument that it's a pair of interlocking circles/ovals. While this means that to a degree we'll get entirely different average results, at the same time we can't hold any one individual to any sort of prescriptive identity. We don't know that because someone is a woman that she's going to be more empathetic than any given man, as an example. It's likely, but it's far from absolute.
Of course not. But we can say that in general, women tend to be more attuned to caregiving, etc. Still, a man's a man, and a woman's a woman, regardless of their communication or spacial skills.

I actually have friends who are raising their kid in a gender neutral fashion. And because I know them, I don't have a problem with it.
Without knowing your friends or what they are doing (perhaps just avoiding cliched sterotypes?), I can't judge them. But I do have a big problem in general with raising children genderless. Cuz there's a 99.7% chance that the kid already inherently knows their correct gender identity, so why needless confuse the tyke?
Where I DO have a problem with it is when it's not actually gender neutral.... parents need to be careful that they're not forcing a square peg into a round hole... I expect to see some pretty fucked up kids because of it..
You mean, when parents push their kids toward being trans? That does seem to be a trend, and a horrible practice, Abraham sacrificing Isaac(a) on the altar of Social Justice.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Strawkins said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 60#p140060):
Wait a second, Novella didn't say anything about Myers there - it is simply lousy formating that makes it appear that the words about Myers said by John Greg actually came from Steve Novella.
Yes, this; so much this! Well, not exactly. Strawkins is right about who said what. But the problem is more that many of us have become so used to online formatting that some of us have forgotten how to read quotation marks. It is quite clearly shown who says what: Novella within quotes; me without.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Sulman wrote:
Quite. I have long wondered why she transgresses continually into catty arguments with Watson; it does not make her look good.

However, if this was not a coordinated takedown, I'll eat my hat. Here's my hypothesis:
  • She was reported for having bought fake followers deliberalely (albeit as an exercise). Oolon seems to know an awful lot about this, and zeroed in on it very quickly when pressed.
All of the above are borderline (and I think she was rude, but not abusive) but it's conceivably enough to get her into trouble.
Interesting that with these tweets which include the 'offending' tweets themselves, it's not unusual to find the same person being reported multiple times for different tweets. For example:

http://i.imgur.com/bvSzBC8.png

So that's Metaburbia reported twice in the space of five minutes for two different tweets.

My speculation: given that these tweets are targeted at Bot followers - who have probably already got the reported tweeters blocked anyway, by virtue of the bot - then I'd say it was part of a cumulative strategy to get various tweeters suspended. Given that you have to fill in a form to make a report, I doubt it's automated - and nor will suspensions likely result with just a handful of people reporting the same tweet (I guess - unless the tweet in question was exceptionally, and genuinely, offensive). It looks to be a means where twitter can be continually notified of certain people making 'offensive' tweets by block bot users, in the hope that at least some of them will eventually get suspended. Again, one must ask - why go to such efforts as Ratty and Ooley do with these new block bot tweets, unless there was some concrete result at the end of it?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Scented Nectar wrote:I think the one in the upper right is supposed to be Jenny McBoobquake, shown being scared of being online, or maybe hesitant due to her boyfriend ordering her to stay off of the internet.

Nah. That's a fairly realistic depiction of a twitter-induced PTSD attack.

Besides, I'm staring right now at my little Shrine to Jen, and that looks nothing like her.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Sulman wrote:

Storify tweeted out by @aratina: http://storify.com/The_Block_Bot/15913043

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Skep tickle wrote:
Sulman wrote:

See, I find it weird that they invest so much time protesting it's not them, all the while explaining why someone should be banned.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I think people'd be less harsh on Grothe if he'd posted a photo of the trans he was talking about:

ty.jpg
(48 KiB) Downloaded 300 times

Really?

Post by Really? »

Skep tickle wrote:
Sulman wrote:

Are those tweets that they complained about and REPORTED FOR HARASSMENT? Some of those are just Mayhew pointing out their fallacious debate tactics. Amazing.

But they love their Freeze Peach. After all, they're skeptics.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Really? wrote:
Are those tweets that they complained about and REPORTED FOR HARASSMENT? Some of those are just Mayhew pointing out their fallacious debate tactics. Amazing.

Welcome new poster.
And fuck off! ;)

Git will be around soon with your basket of links.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Pitchguest wrote:
Stretchycheese wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:The great cartoonist Bjarte Hogwart has drawn a reply to Sarah Mayhew.

http://i.imgur.com/BKjpOaE.jpg
Is this the best their crowd has got for satire? It reads like some unimaginative Ministry of Dworkin Truth office intern was ordered to come up with a political propaganda poster under a very tight deadline. This only reinforces the conclusion that dogmatists and ideologues simply cannot do satire and instead must rely on espousing straw talking points and ideological rhetoric used to demonize their critics.

Jan, I look forward to your parody. Help Bjarte make his comics actually funny. :)
Wait, I thought that *was* the parody. :?
Yes it was. :lol:

The guy's name is Foghaus, not Hogwart... I mean, Foshaug.

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

Jan Steen wrote: Yes it was. :lol:

Arggh, my apologies. Poe's Law strikes again!! :oops:

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Aneris wrote:
debaser71 wrote:Pit of geography fail.
I have the feeling Jan Steen would win this with his dutch flatland privilege.
Wait, we have coastal dunes, you know. Some are like dozens of meters high.

(In fact, the southeast has real hills up to 220 m asl.).

At the moment I don't live there anyway.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Really? wrote:

Welcome new poster.
And fuck off! ;)

Thanks for the "fuck off"! I've been lurking and guest posting for a while. I was kinda "out of the movement" for a couple years and I couldn't believe how vicious the FTB faction became while I was away. They're lunatics and they don't even care about the ideas they claim to hold most dear.

And I LOVE the threads on A+ where the new members are given their ideological purity tests. What kind of discussion forum greets you with a basket o' links to ensure you parrot their thoughts?

Hey, lurking FTB/A+ folks: I found the Slymepit because you were complaining about a forum in which people were abusive and harming the skeptic/secular movement. You are the ones doing the harm. You are a support group for antisocial lunatics and offer safe harbor to some people who have done worse harm than those you accuse.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Jan Steen wrote:
Aneris wrote:
debaser71 wrote:Pit of geography fail.
I have the feeling Jan Steen would win this with his dutch flatland privilege.
Wait, we have coastal dunes, you know. Some are like dozens of meters high.

At the moment I don't live there anyway.
The Maldives is/are the world's flattest country.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

really? wrote:I found the Slymepit because you were complaining about a forum in which people were abusive and harming the skeptic/secular movement.
Same here. Now, may I join the others in telling you to fuck off :D

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Jan Steen wrote:
Yes it was. :lol:

If you hadn't labelled it with the fake name I would have thought it was on of Bjarte's obscure creations too.
I do feel a bit sorry for ol' Bjarte. Being such a black-hole of humour and charisma must be tough.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2836/9965 ... c900_c.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Time for this one again! :D

http://i.imgur.com/q7Lyiey.jpg
Who's the monotone hottie on the left with that brooding stare? Hubba, hubba.

[youtube]Q2n8mI2LOKA[/youtube]
Oh come on Strawklet! I know I'm a bit thick but did you really think I didn't know who Myra Hindley was?
[youtube]A9DH0_b3F1c[/youtube]

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Thimbledoo, not known for his unsheeplike behavior, adds his squeak to the Grothe Trans thing. I especially liked this part:
Some time thereafter, he changed the post’s security settings such that I can no longer see it while logged in. Chances are he actually blocked me, or added me to a “rage bloggers” list, or something. I’m not sure. I don’t really care, honestly. It just means he knows people are going to criticize him, and he knows which people specifically. It means he knows he did wrong, but doesn’t care to actually take the criticism for it.
Aptly demonstrating that he doesn't really care, honestly, that his freeze peaches have been compromised.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Coming as a surprise to no one, perestroika at Buttercunts and Weasels has ended:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=373

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Tony Parsehole wrote: Oh come on Strawklet! I know I'm a bit thick but did you really think I didn't know who Myra Hindley was?
I thought you should have known and were probably joking, but I put the youtube clip there for others (I presume she isn't likely to be well known outside Britain.)

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote: Oh come on Strawklet! I know I'm a bit thick but did you really think I didn't know who Myra Hindley was?
I thought you should have known and were probably joking, but I put the youtube clip there for others (I presume she isn't likely to be well known outside Britain.)
I only knew them from The Smiths song.

JAB

Post by JAB »

[quote="Jan Steen"

At the moment I don't live there anyway.[/quote]

I can attest to part of that. One of my sons and his family live in a small town in Limburg... it is a bit hilly. I wouldn't call them mountains, but maybe there were some behind all the clouds and rain that were there the whole time I visited.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

In response to Tigzy's post about Toiletbowl (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 51#p140151), wherein he quotes Toiletbowl as saying:
Some time thereafter, he changed the post’s security settings such that I can no longer see it while logged in. Chances are he actually blocked me, or added me to a “rage bloggers” list, or something. I’m not sure. I don’t really care, honestly. It just means he knows people are going to criticize him, and he knows which people specifically. It means he knows he did wrong, but doesn’t care to actually take the criticism for it.
So, I guess that means when Toiletbowl deletes; moderates; bans; blocks people who say things opposed to his regal POV, it is because he "knows he did wrong, but doesn’t care to actually take the criticism for it."

Uh huh. Right. OK.

Well, I guess the latter part is true enough: he does not in fact care to take or accept or acknowledge any criticism for anything he regally says, colostomy bag that he is

Fuck off Toiletbowl, you're staining the porcelain.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tigzy wrote:Thimbledoo, not known for his unsheeplike behavior, adds his squeak to the Grothe Trans thing. I especially liked this part:
Aptly demonstrating that he doesn't really care, honestly, that his freeze peaches have been compromised.
They constantly advertise and praise the Block Bot, but suddenly scream bloody murder when they get blocked on Facebook?

It's okay, Jason. We understand. Blocking us on Twitter, we don't really care, honestly. It just means you know people are going to criticise you, and you know which people specifically. It means you know you did wrong, but don't care to actually take the criticism for it. You middling milquetoast.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I thought I might freezepage Thimbledoo's latest missive, just in case he retroactively decides that he didn't say the 'he knows he did wrong' thing after all.

http://www.freezepage.com/1383679359GFZFBRHTMA

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Coming as a surprise to no one, perestroika at Buttercunts and Weasels has ended:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=373
Indeed. Don’t know if you’ve checked over there recently, but this from that exemplar of the Enlightlenment, Raging Bee, is choice:
And you pitters are talking about…what? Whatever it is, you don’t seem able to brag about it here.
Raging Bee: maybe because Ophelia’s moderation policies are tighter than a bull’s ass in fly-time. And you call yourselves “Freethought”? What a howler.

But which I pointed out to Ophelia – more or less – which, of course, didn’t see the light of day. Nor did this previous comment of mine:
Ophelia:

Your crocodile tears are becoming less and less credible, particularly when you allow people like Wowbagger and, I think, Brony to make rather nasty insults while restraining or banning people like me from calling them the A-class dickheads which they richly deserve.

It is that type of selective "moderation" which tends to discredit the entire Free-from-thought-blog network.
In any case, somewhat apropos, you might be interested in these recent posts from Joseph Hoffmann, one of which has this on the inability of some atheists to consider the corrective benefits of satire [aka feedback – this has been a paid political announcement; we now return you to our regular scheduled programming]:
(2) Second; atheists just aren’t funny—except perhaps to each other. Go to an atheist meeting and you will notice that it has all the intellectual weight of a night out at the Elks lodge. It is bowling team, and we’ve all heard Frank’s jokes before. But what is even worse than not being funny is not being able to take a joke, to accept the corrective possibilities of satire. ‘Tis a very bad cap’n what steers his ship towards the same gale that ate the three what went afore it.” Historically, it is a problem of atheism not to be able to take correction and thus to steer its ship ever and again into the storm of unsuccess.
He also had this amusing bit of satire directed at Jerry Coyne specifically, but more as a supposed figurehead of the New Atheism in general.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

All this talk about elevations brings to mind the most difficult "death hike" I was ever involved in. I was in an Explorer Scouts troop in the 1960's and we decided to hike from the lowest point in the continental US (Badwater Basin, elevation 282 feet below sea level) to the highest point in the continental US (Mt. Whitney, elevation 14,495 feet above sea level). Map distance between the two points is only 85 miles, YMMV though. I think we logged just shy of 160 miles by the time we reached Mt. Whitney. A problem arises when Whitney doesn't open until July and usually closes a month or two later. So you end up hiking in Death Valley when the temperatures are routinely 120 degrees and above. But for that part of the trip we had a van full of water and supplies (plus we stopped at a burger joint or two).

Today, they have an ultramarathon that does this same route and some have done it while pushing their entire supply load in a little cart (more than 200 lbs. worth). But most of these guys don't do the summit, although some do. One guy did a triple: down, up and back down...quite a feat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badwater_Ultramarathon

I just wanted to share my elevation privilege...

welch

Post by welch »

Pitchguest wrote:
Tigzy wrote:Thimbledoo, not known for his unsheeplike behavior, adds his squeak to the Grothe Trans thing. I especially liked this part:
They constantly advertise and praise the Block Bot, but suddenly scream bloody murder when they get blocked on Facebook?

It's okay, Jason. We understand. Blocking us on Twitter, we don't really care, honestly. It just means you know people are going to criticise you, and you know which people specifically. It means you know you did wrong, but don't care to actually take the criticism for it. You middling milquetoast.
Given many of us neither read his feed nor attempt to tweet at him, him blocking us has all the effect of me building a martian trap in my basement*

*i live in florida. I've no basement. Which makes the trap DOUBLY cunning.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steers, I checked in at Cuntsylvania just long enough to see that we were being hung in effigy.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

What? More of Elevation-Gate?

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Rape is about as wrong as it gets. The only one responsible for a rape is the rapist and AR Wear will not solve the fundamental problem that rape exists in our world. Only by raising awareness and education, as well as bringing rapists to justice, can we all hope to eventually accomplish the goal of eliminating rape as a threat to both women and men. Meanwhile, as long as sexual predators continue to populate our world, AR Wear would like to provide products to women and girls that will offer better protection against some attempted rapes while the work of changing society's rape culture moves forward.
It seems to be a common belief among some people that we could live in a world where rape does not exist. Does that sound remotely plausible? Do they also think that we will ever live in a world without murder or theft or indeed any crime at all?

They seem naive beyond belief - but apparently, if you smash the patriarchy then sex crimes will just disappear.

papillon

Post by papillon »

I'll just pop this here for Parsehole:

[youtube]H5cS0bZiJ1Q[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

papillon wrote:I'll just pop this here for Parsehole:

[youtube]H5cS0bZiJ1Q[/youtube]
I had that video in my Youtube favourites!

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:I think the one in the upper right is supposed to be Jenny McBoobquake, shown being scared of being online, or maybe hesitant due to her boyfriend ordering her to stay off of the internet.

Nah. That's a fairly realistic depiction of a twitter-induced PTSD attack.

Besides, I'm staring right now at my little Shrine to Jen, and that looks nothing like her.
Uh oh! :)

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

welch wrote:
Given many of us neither read his feed nor attempt to tweet at him, him blocking us has all the effect of me building a martian trap in my basement*

*i live in florida. I've no basement. Which makes the trap DOUBLY cunning.
I'll point out again (mainly because it amuses me) that the gorpy little turd doesn't have my actual Twitter account (same username as here) on his precious little list, but he does have my joke account that I haven't posted with in 3 years.

Oolon: God's favorite mistake.

Git

Post by Git »

Really? wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
Really? wrote:

Welcome new poster.
And fuck off! ;)

Thanks for the "fuck off"! I've been lurking and guest posting for a while. I was kinda "out of the movement" for a couple years and I couldn't believe how vicious the FTB faction became while I was away. They're lunatics and they don't even care about the ideas they claim to hold most dear.

And I LOVE the threads on A+ where the new members are given their ideological purity tests. What kind of discussion forum greets you with a basket o' links to ensure you parrot their thoughts?

Hey, lurking FTB/A+ folks: I found the Slymepit because you were complaining about a forum in which people were abusive and harming the skeptic/secular movement. You are the ones doing the harm. You are a support group for antisocial lunatics and offer safe harbor to some people who have done worse harm than those you accuse.
As requested, here is the obligatory welcome basket:

http://www.catfleas.co.uk/images/cat-baskets.jpg

Git

Post by Git »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:What? More of Elevation-Gate?
If you put a hammer or a screwdriver on top of a triangulation pillar at the top of a hill, which one is the most phallic looking?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... 283991.jpg

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

In other news, Humble Bundle's latest is a whopper. Check it out.

https://www.humblebundle.com/

Cunning Punt

Post by Cunning Punt »

Real life has been interfering rather pleasantly lately with my Pit time. I am a FB follower though not friend of DJ Grothe, and when he posted that "No hyperbole" post yesterday, I thought, "ruh roh, cue the SJWs calling for his head on a pike AGAIN. This will happen."

And it did, predictable as a fucking wet weekend.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Ophelia's talent for idiotic overstatement is as sharp as ever:

http://i.imgur.com/IvMsfQ1.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... frivolity/

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news (and I told you so before and here is someone else pretty much saying the same thing) Why Toronto Mayor Rob Ford Can Admit To Smoking Crack And Still Win Reelection
You might think admitting to an offense that could be punished with up to seven years in prison might doom the Mayor’s political career. You would be wrong.
Toronto’s suburbanites are middle class, and feel about the city core the same way that Tea Partiers feel about Washington.

“To them the city is the enemy, always reaching deeper into their pockets, intruding into their lives and demanding we care about the poor, the young, the old, the environment, whatever,” writes Toronto Star columnist Christopher Hume. “Ford supporters want none of that. They want to be left alone. They want government off their back.”
If you ever wanted to do a study on how not to do SJW then Toronto is where you want to go. Yeppers, we have real life baboons in TO and many of them are into politics at city hall.

Oh yes indeedy, TO has a lot of reallllyyyy for reals noxious SJWs (think of Chanty Binks ... AKA "Big Red" or Caine, or PeeZuss Christ) and people are fucking sick and tired of them (that plus traffic ... there has been an ongoing war on cars that has everyone miserable no matter what form of transportation they use ... public, private, cycling ... whatever man).

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Not sure if I'm late to the table with this, but has anyone checked the traffic for the slymepit against the A+ forums? That's ironic, right? That's the goddamn definition of ironic.

http://i44.tinypic.com/28us4e9.jpg

Anyone have a hypothesis about the inverse relationship that started trending in July?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Ape+lust wrote:Ophelia's talent for idiotic overstatement is as sharp as ever:

http://i.imgur.com/IvMsfQ1.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... frivolity/
So there it is, Richard. A lot of us are going to be turning a skeptical eye on your public interest tweets because you’ve never seen fit to withdraw your ridiculous, uncalled-for, sniggering and frivolous “Dear Muslima.”

"There it is Richard"?
She is expecting him to be reading her blog?

Actually, I presume she doesn't - if she seriously thought Dawkins gave a flying fuck about anything she thinks about at this stage she would try to keep on his right side. This is just a show for her commentariat.
She used to have some kind of clout as a serious writer but that is behind her now. It looks increasingly like all the heavy intellectual lifting in her previous books was done by her writing partners - she's certainly shown no sign that she possesses the kind of talent that was on show in those books. In contrast Stangroom and Baggini have gone on to write more books - and their regular articles in newspapers and magazines demonstrate them to be decent writers and thinkers. In contrast Ophelia's stuff is either very pedestrian, or it's just plain dumb (for example her attack on Michael Shermer from last year.)

Stretchycheese

Post by Stretchycheese »

jet_lagg wrote:Not sure if I'm late to the table with this, but has anyone checked the traffic for the slymepit against the A+ forums? That's ironic, right? That's the goddamn definition of ironic.

http://i44.tinypic.com/28us4e9.jpg

Anyone have a hypothesis about the inverse relationship that started trending in July?
Perhaps the Shermer drama brought more attention to the Slymepit around that time. More people became aware that this place was a hub for the FTB/Skepchick/A+ criticism and lampooning. As for the A+ forum, as they become more insular, cult-like and conformist, the more people turn away from them or tune them out, I suppose.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Stretchycheese wrote:
Perhaps the Shermer drama brought more attention to the Slymepit around that time. More people became aware that this place was a hub for the FTB/Skepchick/A+ criticism and lampooning. As for the A+ forum, as they become more insular, cult-like and conformist, the more people turn away from them or tune them out, I suppose.
Atheism+ banning all its members probably also a factor. I just visited and only two registered members were there - ischemgeek and hyperdeath - both of whom were probably watching for somebody else to ban