Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Dick Strawkins

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Dick Strawkins »

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Seeing as how you lot are doing Foshaug cartoons.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7308/1076 ... 0f77_b.jpg
This is why you are the master of Bjarte Fluevlog cartoons.

QuiteSo

Post by QuiteSo »

Now that... that deserves to be PUBLISHED!

Southern

Post by Southern »

Lsuoma wrote:Just got around to watching Gefan's latest: best vid ever...
Now, it's an amazing video, but it's not better than Search for the Historical PeeZus. That one was platinum.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Southern wrote:
Now, it's an amazing video, but it's not better than Search for the Historical PeeZus. That one was platinum.
The new video is great, but I LOVE the "Future documentary" format with all of my heart.

Reap

Post by Reap »

John Greg wrote:HAHAHA. Anthony K, the human dripbib, is still going on about someone at the Pit supposedly trying to doxx him. Today it's Reap Paden (http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-328803).
Somebody better start preparing the remoulade, because I’ve gone to the ‘pit exactly twice, and in one of those cases only because I’d been alerted to Reap Paden’s attempted doxxing of me there.
Then the paragon says:
They seriously overestimate their own relevance.
Well, dripbib, if FfTB didn't throw hysterical fantods over the Pit every second day maybe some of us might feel a little less, erm, relevant.

Fuck me. Like someone said, Anthony K is indeed dumber than a bag of hammers. Back in your basement, bib, back in your hole.
Second that.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Rebecca Watson has a role in the latest South Park!http://www.muchmusic.com/tv/southpark/e ... ginger-cow

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

:lol: I dunno, though - do you really think he owns any red socks? His world looked pretty beige, white, and cream.

Maybe if one of the surlyramics got tossed in with the laundry?

Apples

that's racist

Post by Apples »

Now that Ceepolk has flounced from A+, the forum has devolved from comedic social justice North Korea to something more like a downscale Portland, Oregon coffeeshop.

So, feeling a hankering for some quality batshit-crazy, I clicked on a Sikivu Hutchinson link, "Sisterhood Ain't Powerful - White Women's Rights."

From this post I learned that pretty much every white woman Hutchinson has encountered in her academic and professional life has been a bigot who wanted to put her fluevogs on Hutchinson's neck because she is black. Everything good that has happened in her life is because Sikivu is exceptional and brilliant, everything bad is apparently because of "white female racism and paternalism." Also, many of these white women were not as awesome as Sikivu and were illegitimately in positions of power because of affirmative action (affirmative action = bad?). Also, white women do not advocate enough for affirmative action (affirmative action = good?). :think:

Finally -
Sikivu wrote:Last month, when a white female student (the first ever) began participating in our Women’s Leadership Project (WLP) sessions, “Rene”, a Latina student, objected to her inclusion in a space for women of color. Without consulting my students beforehand, I had personally invited the white student to come to our meeting after she’d made insightful anti-racist comments about gender, sexuality and discrimination in a Teen Health workshop I was teaching.
Well, at least she's going to wrap up with an unexpected note of inclusiveness and reconciliation, right?:
Rene was right—WLP is supposed to be a safe space for women of color, a rare commodity even in schools that are predominantly African American and Latino. By unconsciously assuming “sisterhood”, and not consulting with students about the inclusion of a potential white “ally” in our group, I had failed to absorb the lessons of my own lived experience. In my rush to be inclusive I’d been exclusive, forgetting the very basis for the organization in a culture where white girls will never have to worry about being affirmed, reinforced and humanized on a playing field with the dark other.
:doh:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/blackskepti ... ns-rights/
http://www.freezepage.com/1384035561FEQVICHWJG

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Southern wrote:
Historical PeeZus and the latest Clownfall with the BjarteToons are my favorites so far.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

My entry in the Bjarte Foshaug bashing contest.

http://i.imgur.com/aomv8eg.jpg

JayTeeAitch

Post by JayTeeAitch »

Ape+lust wrote:
mordacious1 wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Anthony K is impotent rage personified.
Gefan wrote:Let's give him something to get him really upset, shall we?

After more than two years, the man responsible for "The Great Schism" finally comes forward.

Sort of.

I know the interviewer audio is horrendous but I've been fucking with this thing for a month and I just couldn't be bothered to fix it.

I had to stop as soon as I saw the beard. Fuck, just seeing that that killed me. Did you catch the mistaken "bloom" that revealed the dumbass before the mask got up to size?
Elevator documentary wrote:"He has not been seen since."
I LOOOOVE a happy ending :D
Same here, the beard did it for me, and the ineffectual beeps :lol:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Lovin' the latest Bjarte-rapin' cartoons. And Strawkins' movie poster.

And Gefan's vid.

This place is a hoot.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Gumby ... HAHAHA ... that is just ... HAHAHA ... fucking superb.

You, Ape+lust, Jan Steen, Strawkins, Parsehole, Gefan, (who am I forgetting?), ya'll just get better and better each time you shoop or video. I gleefully thank you all for the great, great laughs that arise on a weekly basis.

Cheers.

Aneris

Re: that's racist

Post by Aneris »

Apples wrote:Now that Ceepolk has flounced from A+, the forum has devolved from comedic social justice North Korea to something more like a downscale Portland, Oregon coffeeshop.

So, feeling a hankering for some quality batshit-crazy, I clicked on a Sikivu Hutchinson link, "Sisterhood Ain't Powerful - White Women's Rights."

From this post I learned that pretty much every white woman Hutchinson has encountered in her academic and professional life has been a bigot who wanted to put her fluevogs on Hutchinson's neck because she is black. Everything good that has happened in her life is because Sikivu is exceptional and brilliant, everything bad is apparently because of "white female racism and paternalism." Also, many of these white women were not as awesome as Sikivu and were illegitimately in positions of power because of affirmative action (affirmative action = bad?). Also, white women do not advocate enough for affirmative action (affirmative action = good?). :think:

Finally -
Sikivu wrote:Last month, when a white female student (the first ever) began participating in our Women’s Leadership Project (WLP) sessions, “Rene”, a Latina student, objected to her inclusion in a space for women of color. Without consulting my students beforehand, I had personally invited the white student to come to our meeting after she’d made insightful anti-racist comments about gender, sexuality and discrimination in a Teen Health workshop I was teaching.
Well, at least she's going to wrap up with an unexpected note of inclusiveness and reconciliation, right?:
Rene was right—WLP is supposed to be a safe space for women of color, a rare commodity even in schools that are predominantly African American and Latino. By unconsciously assuming “sisterhood”, and not consulting with students about the inclusion of a potential white “ally” in our group, I had failed to absorb the lessons of my own lived experience. In my rush to be inclusive I’d been exclusive, forgetting the very basis for the organization in a culture where white girls will never have to worry about being affirmed, reinforced and humanized on a playing field with the dark other.

Oh yeah, the "safe spaces" that separated people with different skin colour up until the 1960s. Rosa Parks and others changed it, and now it sucks – so it seems when you listen to social justice warriors. And then you get this, to top it off: “In my rush to be inclusive I’d been exclusive” – George Orwell would be amazed.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/qlUNlkS.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think my liver just herniated into my thorax.

Where do you find those photos of the FtBers?? :lol:

Also, re: Gefan's latest video ... how many pairs of glasses does Rebecca Watson own? :shock:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

John Greg wrote:Gumby ... HAHAHA ... that is just ... HAHAHA ... fucking superb.

You, Ape+lust, Jan Steen, Strawkins, Parsehole, Gefan, (who am I forgetting?), ya'll just get better and better each time you shoop or video. I gleefully thank you all for the great, great laughs that arise on a weekly basis.

Cheers.
Thank you, and you're welcome!

Huehuehue

Post by Huehuehue »

Gumby wrote:My entry in the Bjarte Foshaug bashing contest.

You've outdone yourself Gumby, genius!

And also bravo on the video Gefan.

:clap:

Makes me wish I had some form of creativity to I could return the favor.

But cheers for the laughs hahaha.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Some of you might be interested in this paper “Sex-chromosome turnovers: the hot-potato model” Here is the abstract (formatting mine):
Sex-determining systems often undergo high rates of turnover but for reasons that remain largely obscure.

Two recent evolutionary models assign key roles, respectively, to sex-antagonistic (SA) mutations occurring on autosomes and to deleterious mutations accumulating on sex chromosomes.

These two models capture essential but distinct key features of sex-chromosome evolution; accordingly, they make different predictions and present distinct limitations.

Here we show that a combination of features from the two models has the potential to generate endless cycles of sex-chromosome transitions: SA alleles accruing on a chromosome after it has been co-opted for sex induce an arrest of recombination; the ensuing accumulation of deleterious mutations will soon make a new transition ineluctable.

The dynamics generated by these interactions share several important features with empirical data, namely, (i) that patterns of heterogamety tend to be conserved during transitions and (ii) that autosomes are not recruited randomly, with some chromosome pairs more likely than others to be co-opted for sex.
h/t Razib Khan

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

"fosh" in Maltese, means "cunt". Just adds an extra layer of lols.

KenD

Post by KenD »

James Caruthers wrote:http://jezebel.com/watch-joss-whedon-ma ... 1460080685
Here's the relevant dick sucking-I mean, article, from Jezebel. I just have to laugh at feminists being angry over the term feminist. I'm sorry feminists, but it is modern feminists who have created the negative buzz around the word. You are going to have to lie in the beds you made. And saying "there is no middle ground" isn't likely to help the old image problems.

I doubt Whedon has to beg women for sex, but maybe he sees his support of feminism as a necessary counterbalance to the sexualization of female characters in his own films and tv shows.
What I find ironic about Whedon's support for Equality Now is that I remember one of their supporters specifically mentioning his Firefly character Inara in an attack on the "happy hooker myth", citing her as an example of "anti-feminist glorification of prostitution in the patriarchal media".

If Inara is in any way indicative of Whedon's views, they seem incompatible with Equality Now's position that all forms of prostitution are inherently a form of sexual violence against women, and therefore must be eliminated. Equality Now are certainly quick to attack other people as the "pro-rape pimp lobby" if they don't dogmatically take a zero tolerance stance on the sex industry, and a lot of their recent campaigning has been against the UN's recommendations, which favour harm reduction over prohibition.

What I find funny is that Whedon held charity screenings of Serenity to raise money for Equality Now. A film featuring a space courtesan helped to fund things like the investigation of sex worker rights groups, so that Equality Now could better fight against them.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

free thoughtpolice wrote: Tethys

7 February 2013 at 3:24 pm (UTC -6)

You are not Paul.

And this is THUNDERDOME!!

*Breaks two liquor bottles and brandishes the jagged necks.*

I WILL cut you abear, you stupid fucking troll.
Good thing for you Tethys watched LETHAL WEAPON IV instead of reading the SAS Self-Defense Handbook:
SAS wrote:"Do not try to smash the end of the bottle off, as this usually results in the bottle disintegrating altogether. Use is as you would a club and go for the head and temples. The body joints, such as the elbow and knee cap, are particularly good targets to hit with any bottle.

This has been a public service announcement.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://i.imgur.com/In2qtEF.jpg

There's something about Svans grief vampire act that reminded me of a notion I've been racking my brain to remember.
It's the fact that she seems so eager and desperate to wring painful details out of people who have undergone traumatic experiences, and yet the superficial support and sympathy she tosses in their direction seems to be a veneer, covering something far darker.

And then it struck me - it reminds me of a routine that Ricky Gervais did in one of his shows - an really bad taste joke that works by spinning your perceptions at the end.

[youtube]2QOIRuc6sZU[/youtube]

Svan's obvious orgasmic delight in collecting all those tales of violent abuse in her 'Dear Dick' campaign against Dawkins clued me in to her pathological disregard for the trauma she was causing in women reliving these experiences in their minds - and all for what - to whine about Dawkins 'Dear Muslima' remark?
She has continued in this fashion in the intervening period, clambering aboard the train to pityville at the slightest chance - and at the same time launching vicious acts of revenge at those, such as Christie Wilcox and Ellenbeth Wachs, whom she views as slighting her friends.
She portrays herself as an expert and example to all feminists, and yet when one of her friends makes a viciously misogynistic remark ("get off the rag and kiss my ass"), all solidarity with other women flies out the window.
http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2010/ ... -too-sexy/

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

TheMan wrote:"fosh" in Maltese, means "cunt". Just adds an extra layer of lols.

actually, it means "fuck" but still funny.

justinvacula

11/9/13 Brave Hero Radio

Post by justinvacula »

Live on-the-scene reporting from #PCAC begins at 8PM Eastern. Tune in for discussion of what was said about atheists and much more! Join the pre-show chat now!

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/bravehero/ ... conference

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
There's something about Svans grief vampire act that reminded me of a notion I've been racking my brain to remember.
It's the fact that she seems so eager and desperate to wring painful details out of people who have undergone traumatic experiences, and yet the superficial support and sympathy she tosses in their direction seems to be a veneer, covering something far darker.
dancingsvan.jpg
(500.05 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Well, that and adopting puppies from the no-kill shelter just so she can take them home and ball-peen hammer them to death.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Somehow I missed Search for the Historical PeeZus, so today been a day of total lulz. I best dig into the archives to see what else I've missed.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

(Trigger warning: inside joke)

Dating Profile for: Frayn, tete de la pierre

Ethnicity: Privileged
Height: 175.4 m
Body Type: stout
Religion: zardozian
Job: genocide
Offspring: Zed

My self-summary
The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!

What I’m doing with my life
genocide, levitating, scrap-booking mostly

I’m really good at
Levitating, dispensing guns & ammo, fostering cargo cults

The first things people usually notice about me
I'm a 400-ton chunk of rock floating across the landscape. Whadya think they notice?

Favorite Books:
Anything by L. Frank Baum

Favorite Movies:
ROLLERBALL, SOYLENT GREEN, BLADERUNNER, SILENT RUNNING, LOGAN'S RUN, DEEP IMPACT, THE MATRIX, THE OMEGA MAN, TERMS OF ENDEARMENT

The six things I could never do without
ant-grav generators, cryogenics, artificial wombs, polyvinylchloride bags, speed-aging, Charlotte Rampling's willingness to get nekkid in every performance.

I spend a lot of time thinking about
Eugenics, ordering in sushi, repopulating the planet

On a typical Friday night I am
Practicing eugenics, ordering in sushi, repopulating the planet

The most private thing I’m willing to admit
'Stache = Sharpie

I’m looking for
any non-sterile males & females

You should message me if
Charlotte Rampling gives you a stiffie

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Southern wrote:
All of them are great but my vote is for Historical PeeZus.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

mordacious1 wrote:Somehow I missed Search for the Historical PeeZus, so today been a day of total lulz. I best dig into the archives to see what else I've missed.
Search for the Historical PeeZus is my favorite Gefan vid by far.

ianfc

Post by ianfc »

Ophelia Benson

November 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm (UTC -6)

Tom @43 -

“Don’t vanity search” is kind of the Internet equivalent of “don’t go asking about what rumors there are about you,” or “you may have heard that someone wrote something about you in the bathroom stall, but it’s best not to look at it.” It’s as if these shitstains don’t understand that other people might Google someone, or that someone has a vested interest in knowing what their online reputation is like.

Really.Over the past few days a guy I don’t know has been emailing me with advice and information about the pit and my dealings with same.The guy became acquainted with the pit only a few days ago, but somehow he knows all about it and needs to set me straight. In his latest he told me that if I refuse to talk to the pitters they’re going to make fun of me, and he gets the impression I “really take that stuff personally.”

Stop the presses. A group organizes around the project of making public written (and imaged) “fun of” real, named people, and the people in question for some strange reason “really take that stuff personally.” How very very odd.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-328852

Mr Lagg?

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Ophelia Benson wrote: “Don’t vanity search” is kind of the Internet equivalent of “don’t go asking about what rumors there are about you,” or “you may have heard that someone wrote something about you in the bathroom stall, but it’s best not to look at it.” It’s as if these shitstains don’t understand that other people might Google someone, or that someone has a vested interest in knowing what their online reputation is like.
Yes, some people do have a vested interest in knowing what their online reputation is like. Michael Shermer, for example. Thanks to you and your vicious rumor-mongering FtB pals, the word "rapist" will forever be tied to Shermer in Google searches.

Ophelia Benson wrote:Stop the presses. A group organizes around the project of making public written (and imaged) “fun of” real, named people, and the people in question for some strange reason “really take that stuff personally.” How very very odd.
Here, let me rewrite that for you:
Hypocritical Skanky Cunt Ophelia Benson wrote:Stop the presses. A group organizes around the project of accusing real, named people of rape based on nothing but rumor and hearsay, and the people in question for some strange reason “really take that stuff personally.” How very very odd.
You fucked up old hag, haha, charade you are.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

This young lady is a dreadful liar and a bigot. But how could I know that?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Pogsurf wrote: This young lady is a dreadful liar and a bigot. But how could I know that?
DDoS attacks on FTB? With the Intelectual Artillery as their IT Guy, I'm pretty sure they're DDoSing themselves. With a Wordpress plugin.

free thoughtpolice

free thoughtpolice wrote:Rebecca Watson has a role in the latest South Park!http://www.muchmusic.com/tv/southpark/e ... ginger-cow
Or is it Big Red?
gingercow2.JPG
(51.55 KiB) Downloaded 193 times

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Brony wrote:Over here at FTB I see detailed analyses of peoples comments and reasons about why a conclusion to a link to a quote is supported as having a particular context and meaning. Over there I see massive walls of assertions and emotional conclusions about quotes being push around as “just so” stories with no real evidence. I almost never get anyone to actually link something, quote it, and actually outline why the person they are quoting is wrong about something. It’s all feelings over there.
Yeah right, we almost never quote, never actually link to something, and freezepage and such is problably just a figment of my imagination. And Benson, Zvan and Co never see links to their site from the Slymepit.

Checkmate, Slymepit. Brony just demonstrated his “detailed analyses” with “particular context” in this masterclass.

welch

Post by welch »

ianfc wrote:
Ophelia Benson

November 9, 2013 at 1:00 pm (UTC -6)

Tom @43 -

“Don’t vanity search” is kind of the Internet equivalent of “don’t go asking about what rumors there are about you,” or “you may have heard that someone wrote something about you in the bathroom stall, but it’s best not to look at it.” It’s as if these shitstains don’t understand that other people might Google someone, or that someone has a vested interest in knowing what their online reputation is like.

Really.Over the past few days a guy I don’t know has been emailing me with advice and information about the pit and my dealings with same.The guy became acquainted with the pit only a few days ago, but somehow he knows all about it and needs to set me straight. In his latest he told me that if I refuse to talk to the pitters they’re going to make fun of me, and he gets the impression I “really take that stuff personally.”

Stop the presses. A group organizes around the project of making public written (and imaged) “fun of” real, named people, and the people in question for some strange reason “really take that stuff personally.” How very very odd.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-328852

Mr Lagg?
that's what I figured whomever it was meant by "been in contact with"..."been bugging the hell out of, pretending to have some sort of meaning here."

Sigh.

welch

Post by welch »

Southern wrote:
Pogsurf wrote: This young lady is a dreadful liar and a bigot. But how could I know that?
DDoS attacks on FTB? With the Intelectual Artillery as their IT Guy, I'm pretty sure they're DDoSing themselves. With a Wordpress plugin.
Someone left a really long comment again?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Using my daily Steers-allotment; I'd put this on my blog but I don't have one.
Hunt wrote:Benson has a new post up citing some study about bug grinding sadists and that sadism comes in more frequent varieties than is normally believed. Oh, and of course, the pit is demonstrative.
I looked at that, the press release she quotes from, & the actual paper. Bolding & italics below are mine.

1) Benson probably noticed & values this 'news' because of the promised future conclusion that trolling = sadism. From near the end of the press release she linked, but not quoted in her blog post:
Buckels and colleagues are continuing to investigate everyday sadism, including its role in online trolling behavior.

“Trolling culture is unique in that it explicitly celebrates sadistic pleasure, or ‘lulz,’” says Buckels. “It is, perhaps, not surprising then that sadists gravitate toward those activities.”
2) For me, Benson's comments at the beginning and end don't grammatically follow from what she quoted, though one can imagine what she meant:
Benson, in the opening of the recent post on sadism at FTB Butterflies and Wheels, wrote:So that study on sadism I’ve been meaning to talk about for weeks.
The public affairs coordinator for the Association for Psychological Science, in opening of the press release Benson linked, wrote:Most of the time, we try to avoid inflicting pain on others — when we do hurt someone, we typically experience guilt, remorse, or other feelings of distress. But for some, cruelty can be pleasurable, even exciting. New research suggests that this kind of everyday sadism is real and more common than we might think.
So does regular interaction on the internet, and it’s very depressing. I mean really depressing. I don’t like realizing that a lot of people like to inflict pain just for the hilarity of it.
a) FWIW, that opening paragraph of the press release is content-free - the definition of sadism is given "for some, cruelty can be pleasurable") but "this kind" and "everyday sadism" are not described or defined before the claim is made that "everyday sadism" is "real" and "common". Whatever.

b) But what does this mean: "So does regular interaction on the internet"?

What does "so does" refer to?

Maybe she meant "So is"? (But that would mean, "regular interaction on the internet is real and more common than we may think").

By writing a more complete sentence, she could have better conveyed why this press release struck her as interesting & important - something like this: "It seems to me that taking pleasure from being cruel to others is common on the internet."
Benson, in the closing of the recent post on sadism at FTB Butterflies and Wheels, wrote:
The public affairs coordinator for the Association for Psychological Science, after summarizing 2 studies in the paper the press release was announcing, wrote:Together, these results suggest that sadists possess an intrinsic motivation to inflict suffering on innocent others, even at a personal cost — a motivation that is absent from the other dark personality traits.

The researchers hope that these new findings will help to broaden people’s view of sadism as an aspect of personality that manifests in everyday life, helping to dispel the notion that sadism is limited to sexual deviants and criminals.
I’m learning it. But god damn I do not like it.
"I'm learning it" - learning what?

Learning that "sadists possess an intrinsic motivation to inflict suffering"? But that's pretty much the definition of sadist.

Learning "these new findings will help to broaden people’s view of sadism as an aspect of personality that manifests in everyday life"? This is something that a person gets to her age in life without realizing?

Learning that some college students will crush a bug and not be bothered by it, possibly even report a frisson of pleasure?

3) Benson seems to also mistake the use of "significant" in description of the study's findings as "relevant in real life" as opposed to "statistically significant".

Also, this seems to be another example of her & her commenters opining on a research study, without any of them having looked at the study.

The paper is behind a paywall; I accessed via institutional subscription.

The "71 participants" were undergrads who got college credit for participating in the study; average age 20, 73% women. (Ethnic/racial distribution not given for this study, but participants in the other study reported in the same paper were 60% "East Asian".)

The paper says, “We used the 10-item Short Sadistic Impulse Scale (O’Meara, Davies, & Hammond, 2011) to assess a dispositional tendency to enjoy hurting others (example item: “Hurting people is exciting”; α = .87).”

I tried to find some info on SSIS (validation; average & range of scores), but couldn't access any useful info. The first author's master's thesis was the basis for the paper & was the only place I could even find the actual questions of this scale:
Short Sadistic Impulse Scale (SSIS; O’Meara et al., 2011)

1. Hurting people would be exciting.
2. I have hurt people because I could.
3. I wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone. (Reverse coded item, so that answering "disagree" instead of "agree" would give a point)
4. I have hurt people for my own enjoyment.
5. I have humiliated others to keep them in line.
6. I would enjoy hurting someone physically, sexually or emotionally.
7. I enjoy seeing people hurt.
8. I have fantasies which involve hurting people.
9. Sometimes I get so angry I want to hurt people.
10. People would enjoy hurting others if they gave it a go
(Imagine the SSIS scores of the Horde at Pharyngula, not to mention some of the FC(n). But I digress.)

The paper reports a significant baseline difference between men & women on the SSIS in this study: men scored 1.83 +/- 0.72 and women scored 1.50 +/- 0.5 (p = 0.0214).

The average SSIS score of the 4 task groups ranged from 1.45 to 1.8 (lowest being the 9 who picked being immersed in ice water as the unpleasant task they'd do, 2nd lowest being the 33 who picked cleaning toilets, 3rd being the 19 who picked helping crush bugs, and highest being the 19 who picked crushing bugs); reportedly there was no gender difference between those groups. Again, the difference was statistically significant, but not necessarily relevant in real life.

The researchers also asked about pleasure during & after the fake bug crushing, and reported pleasure during crushing correlated positively with sadism score, but negatively afterwards, and they felt that fit well with their view of "everyday sadism" (postulating that everyday sadists need to be inflicting harm to feel emotion).

It seems to me that people answering truthfully would have to score at least 1 on the SSIS, item #3 (see amended version below).

Imagine someone mentally appending the phrases in bold to the SSIS items; would a score of 3 (No to #3, Yes to #s 8 & 9, with the interpretation someone might reasonably have to further explain their answer, including that they would never intend to act on it) mean the person had sadistic tendencies? Yet the average score of the "everyday sadists" in this study was 1.8. (Re #8 & #9: after all, rape fantasies are not uncommon among women even if they think of it as being overpowered rather than being raped, cf. "Bending" by Ms Christina; now, that's more of a masochistic than sadistic fantasy, but my point is that as long as it's just a fantasy and not something you'd do to someone w/o their consent, is it inherently bad?)
SSIS {with additions in bold and italics by me}

1. Hurting people would be exciting. (sadistic trait, by definition)
2. I have hurt people because I could. (sounds more like psychopathy to me)
3. I wouldn't intentionally hurt anyone ... even if my life or someone else's life depended on it.
4. I have hurt people for my own enjoyment. (sadistic trait, by definition)
5. I have humiliated others to keep them in line. (emotional manipulation - not necessarily the same as sadism)
6. I would enjoy hurting someone physically, sexually or emotionally. (sadistic trait, by definition)
7. I enjoy seeing people hurt. (definitions of sadism usually include that the sadistic person is causing the pain, but okay fine, let's call this a sadistic trait)
8. I have fantasies which involve hurting people ... they help me deal with anger, but I recognize they are only fantasies and I would never act on them
9. Sometimes I get so angry I want to hurt people ... but I never would actually act on that urge
10. People would enjoy hurting others if they gave it a go. (prediction about emotions other people might experience??)
The fake bug crushing machine was designed to make crunching noises, to make it as "gruesome" as possible. All 79 participants were told that they would have to do unpleasant tasks to get the course credit offered for participating in this study. Are the researchers sadists?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Walter Ego wrote:Just checking in after a week in the Bahamas. I'm still bushed from all that sun and fun and heavy drinking. (The weed was nice too.) Could someone wake me up if anything interesting happens?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2cwst3o.jpg

Welcome back, Walter.

http://i.imgur.com/Sf5NvrT.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Amazing skills, y'all shoppers & video makers. Particularly laughed at Gumby's comedy lecture shop above and Gefan's latest video.

My long post above was in the works while these were being posted; I swear it was coincidence rather than a one-off or plant:
Aneris wrote:
Brony wrote:Over here at FTB I see detailed analyses of peoples comments and reasons about why a conclusion to a link to a quote is supported as having a particular context and meaning. Over there I see massive walls of assertions and emotional conclusions about quotes being push around as “just so” stories with no real evidence. I almost never get anyone to actually link something, quote it, and actually outline why the person they are quoting is wrong about something. It’s all feelings over there.
Yeah right, we almost never quote, never actually link to something, and freezepage and such is problably just a figment of my imagination. And Benson, Zvan and Co never see links to their site from the Slymepit.

Checkmate, Slymepit. Brony just demonstrated his “detailed analyses” with “particular context” in this masterclass.

free thoughtpolice

Just to restate about Steph Zvan's real attitude to internet threats; she must feel either the sort of threats she got (and I got) aren't that serious or it's fine when "other people" get them but not her.

I am very sorry for your trauma, whatever your name is. I hope that PZ took immediate steps when you brought this to his attention to make sure no broken bottles would actually be allowed in the Thunderdome, his open comment thread.

And that’s where things stand at the moment. So, that should answer that question.
Well Steph if you are going to get all flippant about a serious matter so will I.
staph threat.jpg
(121.1 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Her timeline is a pretty remarkable window into perpetual victimhood. I don't know how some of them get out of bed on a morning.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Sooo... sadism is bad? But what about Greta Christina's brand of fanfiction? Or it's OK when it's about students named Abbie?

Damn FTB, you confuse me! Could Ophelia at least get Bjarte Foshaulg to draw that for me?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oh, and I completely forgot to mention: yesterday was the aniversary of my favorite moment in History, the Fall of the Berlin Wall. I was just a kid when the thing went down so I couldn't really apreciate it when it was happening, but I still get moist eyes when watching documentaries about it. It was the common people's finest hour.

I wish I can go to Germany next year, because I imagine they'll make something special to commemorate the 25 years anniversary. We'll see.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Southern wrote:Oh, and I completely forgot to mention: yesterday was the aniversary of my favorite moment in History, the Fall of the Berlin Wall. I was just a kid when the thing went down so I couldn't really apreciate it when it was happening, but I still get moist eyes when watching documentaries about it. It was the common people's finest hour.

I wish I can go to Germany next year, because I imagine they'll make something special to commemorate the 25 years anniversary. We'll see.
For me, it was Romania. I couldn't believe it was happening. I never thought I would see it in my lifetime; neither did my father. I knew straight away that as soon as Romania fell, the other client states would follow. It was a wonderful thing to see.

Darth Cynic

Post by Darth Cynic »

Why have we thus far not detected any sign of other intelligences out there in the void?

Well the reasons are many, however, one I saw put forward was that perhaps the further along an intelligence gets, the more prevalent debilitating stupidity becomes until it reaches a critical mass and everything collapses into a dark age and extinction. Therefore they vanish leaving an incredibly small detection window easily missed like ships passing in the night.

I'm inclined to see some merit in that notion given the likes of Sikivu Hutchinson et al. That's a special kind of stupidity right there. I mean the likes of Anto K or DIAF Wowbagger - tis like a Pratchett character only not especially funny - are just masses of sputtering, inchoate rage who regularly dine upon their own feet. Dumb as a bag of hammers but rather unremarkable. But Hutchinson, that's a special breathtaking kind. How does one miss that ones fellow traveler is actually being a bit of a bigot prior to espousing the virtues of segregation, before some exculpatory drivel about whitey not having to worry about discrimination except the discrimination Hutchinson et al are inflicting? So caught up in their post-modernist drivel, their endless rule-sets over identity and power, self-serving definitions gussied up as objective truth etc., their brains just turn to mush and we get the mindless bleating of an inveterate gobshite.

As for Folshog, or whatever his name is today, I think I've witnessed the living avatar of pablum. Think mind, just think because the neck regularly festooned with those things also puts me in mind of servility, effective prostration in abject obeisance with the hopes of virtual pats on the head for their sincere displays of deference. Nauseating, truly nauseating as are those "barbs" masquerading as cartoons.

Pitchguest

Re: that's racist

Post by Pitchguest »

Aneris wrote:
Apples wrote:Now that Ceepolk has flounced from A+, the forum has devolved from comedic social justice North Korea to something more like a downscale Portland, Oregon coffeeshop.

Finally -

Oh yeah, the "safe spaces" that separated people with different skin colour up until the 1960s. Rosa Parks and others changed it, and now it sucks – so it seems when you listen to social justice warriors. And then you get this, to top it off: “In my rush to be inclusive I’d been exclusive” – George Orwell would be amazed.
Sikivu seems like one of those people who won't be satisfied no matter what. If it weren't for people like Rosa Parks, or Martin Luther King, who wanted all people to get along (of all "colours" and "creeds"), things would never change. But things did change and for the better. However, it seems for people like Sikivu their oppression still remains the same. No matter what. And I think if things hadn't changed, she would still do the same song and dance as she does now.

"Oh, look, black people are still segregated; this is the fault of the white man!"

"Oh, look, black people aren't segregated but racism still exist; this is the fault of the white man!"

"Oh, look, black people aren't segregated anymore, bars can no longer keep them out by law, racism in the workplace is a punishable offense, and attempts of amends are being made by implementing policies that make it easier for black people to find work like affirmative action, but affirmative action is accomodationist and is a mark of white privilege; this is the fault of the white man!"

And on and on and on. Similarly, her blog posts are genuinely some of the most racist screeds I've ever read. Deadly serious.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Gumby wrote:My entry in the Bjarte Foshaug bashing contest.

HAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

Man. I am so glad you didn't stick the flounce.

If you could just add "Ophelia's laughter" with the arrow in the final panel, bottom right, that would be the icing on the cake. :clap:

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Brony wrote:...So if you know anything about evolution and statistics you should be mentally framing this in terms of emotional frontloading and the founder effect. That community has feelings of persecution, and a desire to say whatever they want no matter how bad the effect on human communication, and a willingness to accept group harassment to suppress speech as actual basic values upon which it was founded. Sure they use the words “freedom of speech”, but they ignore the very real effects of human psychology on rampant emotional hyperstimulation with no self-control. Even in the US speech has limits for important reasons.

To me it does not matter what else they do over there. The history and the emotionally toxic patterns of behavior are not something I want to be around. This is the only mind I have and I want it running in top form and don’t want implicit memory issues making me more of a monster...
(emphasis mine)

source: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-329232

I can't make head or tail of this. Some fag-packet thoughts:
  • We're persecuted? News to me.
  • Suppressing speech; not that I know of.
  • More of a monster? What?
The rest of it seems a bit rambly and quasi-authoritative.

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Sulman wrote:
Brony wrote:...So if you know anything about evolution and statistics you should be mentally framing this in terms of emotional frontloading and the founder effect. That community has feelings of persecution, and a desire to say whatever they want no matter how bad the effect on human communication, and a willingness to accept group harassment to suppress speech as actual basic values upon which it was founded. Sure they use the words “freedom of speech”, but they ignore the very real effects of human psychology on rampant emotional hyperstimulation with no self-control. Even in the US speech has limits for important reasons.

To me it does not matter what else they do over there. The history and the emotionally toxic patterns of behavior are not something I want to be around. This is the only mind I have and I want it running in top form and don’t want implicit memory issues making me more of a monster...
(emphasis mine)

source: http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... ent-329232

I can't make head or tail of this. Some fag-packet thoughts:
  • We're persecuted? News to me.
  • Suppressing speech; not that I know of.
  • More of a monster? What?
The rest of it seems a bit rambly and quasi-authoritative.
I think brony just assassinated his own rhetoric.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Sometimes even the universe has a sense of irony. In Swedish, "bjart" means glaring, gaudy or loud, if we are to believe our Google overlords. What was that Chomsky example of non-related words still being grammatical?

Oh yes, "colourless bjart ideas sleep bjartly". Close enough.

John D

Post by John D »

Southern wrote:Oh, and I completely forgot to mention: yesterday was the aniversary of my favorite moment in History, the Fall of the Berlin Wall. I was just a kid when the thing went down so I couldn't really apreciate it when it was happening, but I still get moist eyes when watching documentaries about it. It was the common people's finest hour.

You need to get to Berlin and visit the holocaust memorial. It is really moving. Very German in style... very geometric... but it is very moving. Berlin is awesome. They have this odd little spot where the Brandenburg gate used to be. You can take pictures... haha. Get some Curry-wurst from a street vendor. Go to a beer garden and watch football with the rowdies. Love Berlin.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

John D wrote:They have this odd little spot where the Brandenburg gate used to be.
Shit, I've clearly missed something important here.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

John D wrote:

You need to get to Berlin and visit the holocaust memorial. It is really moving. Very German in style... very geometric... but it is very moving. Berlin is awesome. They have this odd little spot where the Brandenburg gate used to be. You can take pictures... haha. Get some Curry-wurst from a street vendor. Go to a beer garden and watch football with the rowdies. Love Berlin.
I miss currywurst. Currywurst mit pommes mayo. The cause of my majorly high cholesterol upon leaving Germany oh so many years ago.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Another long one from me, with no laughs. Scroll past if not interested.

My eye was caught by announcement of a new “guest post” at FTB Butterflies & Wheels:
https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson/statu ... 5285158912
Ophelia Benson @OpheliaBenson

Guest post by Bill Cooke: CFI combating superstition in Uganda http://dlvr.it/4HqKcP

4:13 PM - 9 Nov 13
(warning, dlvr link goes to FTB)

This "guest post" is 2 paragraphs copy-pasted from a post by Bill Cooke at CFI’s website in March 2013, with the last sentence changed (now 3 sentences of update).

There is no mention (by Benson, or by Cooke if he did provide this “guest post”) that this was previously posted elsewhere, nor is there a link to that prior posting, nor is there any mention that this is being reproduced with permission. It's not clear to me whether CFI or Bill Cooke holds the copyright; Terms of Use linked at the bottom of the CFI page leads to this:
Copyright Notice
Commercial use or publication of all or any items displayed on the CFI Web site is strictly prohibited without prior authorization from CFI.

The CFI Web site is a compilation work composed of materials contributed by CFI and other contributors. The compilation itself is property of CFI. Other contributors have licensed CFI to use their materials. All rights in these documents are reserved to their owners, and permission to copy or otherwise exploit them must be requested and obtained directly from the copyright owners.
Bill Cooke is CFI International Program Director, so does that mean what he writes & posts at CFI’s website is “material contributed by CFI”? I would assume that it is, otherwise what would "contributed by CFI" refer to?

But at any rate, Benson was reminded 2 days ago by @Mowgli about including links to articles she posts:
https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson/statu ... 9990164480

Harris and Klebold dlvr.it/4HFv43

7 Nov 13
https://twitter.com/Mowgli3/status/398620383118491648
Sarah Rules @Mowgli3

@OpheliaBenson do you have a link to the article? I'd like to read it.

7 Nov 13
https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson/statu ... 6772176896

@Mowgli3 Oh gawd I forget the link about every other post. http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... ingle.html

7 Nov 13
This isn't the first excerpt from that same CFI website article by Bill Cooke that was a "guest post" at B&W without mention that it was a reposting, without link or credit, and without mention of permission to repost.

I had retweeted w/ comment her announcement on Nov 3 of a prior “guest post” by Bill Cooke; I linked to the original post to point out that it came from March 2013 at CFI’s website:
https://twitter.com/Ellesun/status/397246272660185088
Skep tickle @Ellesun
©2013 @center4inquiry http://www.centerforinquiry.net/oncampu ... /cfi_world RT @OpheliaBenson: Guest post by Cooke: Humanists help orphans in Kenya http://dlvr.it/4FsQkW
3 Nov 13
Ron Lindsay had favorited her tweet announcing this post. Neither Benson nor CFI replied to this tweet of mine.

Two days ago, I favorited Ms Benson’s tweet above in which she wrote “Oh gawd I forget the link about every other post”.

Yesterday, she tweet-asked why I favorited “that random tweet…to a friend”:
https://twitter.com/OpheliaBenson/statu ... 8794313728

@Ellesun Why did you favorite that random tweet of mine to a friend? What's your point?

8 Nov 13
I figured there was no point replying; Christie what’s-her-name got raked over the coals by Zvan after favoriting a tweet, and as I recall Benson & others have indicated that @’ing someone is harassment, and if I commented on her blog it wouldn’t get through moderation OR my subsequent attempts to defend myself from her commenters wouldn’t get through moderation OR she’d post some detail about my personal or professional life, thus my response is here - where she could come post if she wanted – no moderation, no risk that her comment won’t see the light of day or might be edited.

Cooke, in a reply during Q&A after his talk at the very end of CFI Summit, said he'd welcome help increasing the internet presence of his work, & it may well be that's what Ms Benson is trying to do. That's admirable - it sounds like great work - but AFAICT the appropriate approach would be to link to the original source, and to indicate that the piece is being posted with permission (of CFI or of Cooke, whoever holds copyright).

Looking over her last several "guest posts", they all seem to be taken from other sources - the ones by Leo Igwe also show up verbatim on multiple other sites, and the last one of his, posted Nov 7, appeared at B&W after appearing on a number of African sites. Several of them are from comments various people made on various sites. There's usually no link to the original, and (in a brief scan through a couple of them) the "guest poster" doesn't seem to appear in the comments, interacting w/ people commenting on his/her "guest post".

So it kind of looks like "guest posts" are another way to copy/paste content into a blog post, this time usually with no or almost no content added by the blog owner.