Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
feralandproud

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by feralandproud »

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-721084

Uh oh, seems as though the horde is beginning to sense weakness in the master. Maybe PZ doesn't realize how faast this could all turn around on him. He seems to think these people are rational.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Also this:
[youtube]21OH0wlkfbc[/youtube]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Lsuoma wrote:
ERV wrote:Good lord.
You read all the papers that come out in your field, and closely related fields. "All the papers?" you might ask. Yes. ALL THE FUCKING PAPERS.

WHY IS SHE ASKING RANDOM INTERNET PEOPLE FOR PAPERS IN HER OWN FIELD?

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Lsuoma's prediction for Tuesday, 26 November, 2013 - McCreight will never complete her Ph.D. studies.
Well, I have been saying this for a very long time now. Even pre-Shaftgate, McCreight was spending too much time doing stupid atheist shit. Beyond uninterested in her research/studies, actively avoiding it and starting shit with her colleagues and superiors.

She would have been out at qualifying exams at my uni. I couldnt imagine she would finish the degree.

But my current post doc involves 1) my own project and 2) cleaning up another project that was fucked up by not one, not two, but THREE lazy and/or incompetent post docs.

There are, apparently, a lot of incompetent, lazy, cant read papers, 'have better things to do I am so above this science crap' PhDs. Im sure Jen PhD can find a job somewhere fucking up some PIs projects/grants/tenure.

acathode

Post by acathode »

rpguest wrote:start a patreon account. one video per raid
The gaming community is way ahead, these days there's quite a few gamers that makes a good living of just streaming themselves playing games on Twitch.tv or making Let's Plays for youtube.

I guess that's kinda why I'm not bothered by the e-begging from Watson etc, we're living in a world where PewPewDie is literally earning millions of dollars each year from making videos like this:
[youtube]tNwFexjnbyM[/youtube]

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Ok, you want cultural appropriation? I give you blues guitarist Todd Sharpeville. Not only is he white and not born in a sharecroppers shack in the Mississippi Delta, but Todd Sharpeville isn't his real name. He is in fact The Hon. Roland Augusto Jestyn Estanislao Philipps son of the 3rd Viscount St Davids and younger brother of 4th Viscount St Davids and heir to the titles Baron Strange Of Knockin , Baron Hungerford , Baron de Moleyns , and the Baronetcy Of Picton Castle (he is a pretty good guitarist though).
Beat That Beastie Boys.

[youtube]D_z0aiexz7w[/youtube]

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Joseph Porter, KCB wrote:Bach was a mostly obscure teacher in his lifetime and for 79 years after his death, until Mendelssohn revived his St. Matthew Passion.
PSA: There is some truth to this, but the extent of Bach's obscurity pre-Mendelssohn is often overstated.

In Bach's lifetime (1685–1750) he was famous locally as a composer, musician, and pedagogue, and his reputation as an organist was actually pretty far-reaching.

Music publishing didn't become a major industry in most places before the second half of the 18th century, so it's no surprise that few of Bach's works saw publication before his death (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... s_lifetime). Still, between 1750 and 1800, Bach's reputation among composers and musicians remained strong and gradually strengthened. Actual familiarity with his music, however, was relatively uncommon. The Well-Tempered Clavier (then available only in manuscript form) and a few other keyboard works were prized by piano teachers, and music theorists dug his chorales, but that's about it.

Mozart knew some Bach. Beethoven knew even more.

A revival of Bach's music was already underway several decades before Mendelssohn conducted the St. Matthew Passion. In 1801, three different competing editions of the Well-Tempered Clavier appeared, and many other of Bach's works saw publication soon thereafter. There was a lot of interest, stoked in part by a widely read biography of the composer by J. N. Forkel, which came out in 1802 (an English translation became available in the 1810s).

But yeah, Mendelssohn definitely took the Bach revival to the next level. It's just that Bach wasn't quite in the dustbin of history beforehand.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

feralandproud wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-721084

Uh oh, seems as though the horde is beginning to sense weakness in the master. Maybe PZ doesn't realize how faast this could all turn around on him. He seems to think these people are rational.
PZ had better check himself for any visible open cuts or abrasions. If they see red, the chicken yard will tear him apart in a matter of seconds.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

jet_lagg wrote:Joseph Porter:

just give it a rest man. You're clearly on the wrong side of this one. Nobody fucking owns hip hop.

Everyone else:

Watson seriously claimed that she has congenital prosopagnosia?
Yes apparently BeckyBoozeHound did indeed do so. I would give a link but I can not be arsed to do so. Perhaps someone else has it all book marked.
jet_lagg wrote: Things in this corner of the internet are so absurd I can never tell if something really happened or you guys are just fucking with me. It's a living testament to Poe's law around here.
Sometimes people here are just fucking around. However, the reality of what we have been dealing with since Elevatorgate has indeed been so absurd that we have been forced to provide links because otherwise no one in their right mind could possibly believe what those lunatics get up to on a regular basis.

Hang around a bit more and you will see why claims of "congenital prosopagnosia" barely raise an eyebrow as the usual suspects keep taking the absurdity to unimaginable levels.

It certainly is entertaining. I was once was howling so hard, I had a neighbour rush down my driveway believing I was in urgent need of medical assistance.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Liesmith wrote:I actually tried the 23andMe thing a while back, and they've got disclaimers all over the place for every little thing telling you that it's not a diagnostic, and if you have any concerns you should see a doctor. Before you even *view* those markers, you have to read and acknowledge a disclaimer reiterating this.

Aside from Dave's point about how The Powers That Be hate to be ignored, I don't really see what the point of the FDA's complaint is. If someone sees that they have a marker for increased risk of breast cancer, then they run out and get a mastectomy without a second opinion, they're a stupid. They're exactly completely one exact stupid.
It's not the follow up tests that matter, it is :

The burden put on doctors with false positives - each of those "you may be at risk" factors buns up doctors time they could be treating sick people with - nothing annoys doctors more than having their time wasted by people who aren't really sick, when they have real patients to treat

The risk of missed actual risks, and then the person thinking they don't need to visit a doctor with real symptoms as the test told them otherwise

The fact that if this was a set of dowsing rods sold with the same claims, that statistically it would be indistinguishable from the test kit - but we would all accept it was wooo wooo and want them banned (much as we all should want for homeopathy for example) - any form of snake oil in medicine can and will cause real harm

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

[youtube]ymKLymvwD2U[/youtube]

THIS is the worst music video ever made. I can't even stand to watch it. Everyone I play it for instantly hates me. I end up laughing at the expression on their faces the entire video.

It takes a special kind of horrible to out-horrible a Nicki Minaj song. 2nd and 3rd places on worst music videos would probably go to Big Sean's "Ass" and anything Nicki Minaj ever performed.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Joseph Porter:

just give it a rest man. You're clearly on the wrong side of this one. Nobody fucking owns hip hop.

Everyone else:

Watson seriously claimed that she has congenital prosopagnosia?
Yes apparently BeckyBoozeHound did indeed do so. I would give a link but I can not be arsed to do so. Perhaps someone else has it all book marked.
jet_lagg wrote: Things in this corner of the internet are so absurd I can never tell if something really happened or you guys are just fucking with me. It's a living testament to Poe's law around here.
Sometimes people here are just fucking around. However, the reality of what we have been dealing with since Elevatorgate has indeed been so absurd that we have been forced to provide links because otherwise no one in their right mind could possibly believe what those lunatics get up to on a regular basis.

Hang around a bit more and you will see why claims of "congenital prosopagnosia" barely raise an eyebrow as the usual suspects keep taking the absurdity to unimaginable levels.

It certainly is entertaining. I was once was howling so hard, I had a neighbour rush down my driveway believing I was in urgent need of medical assistance.

At this point, were the entire skepchicks/ftb/a+ cohort along with Laden caught in a 100-way gangbang with everything from each other to fruit bats and everything in between, I wouldn't even raise an eyebrow.

At this point, the only thing they could do 'twould really shock me would be to behave in a rational fashion.

THAT would have me turning widdershins right through the scupper.

welch

Post by welch »

James Caruthers wrote:[youtube]ymKLymvwD2U[/youtube]

THIS is the worst music video ever made. I can't even stand to watch it. Everyone I play it for instantly hates me. I end up laughing at the expression on their faces the entire video.

It takes a special kind of horrible to out-horrible a Nicki Minaj song. 2nd and 3rd places on worst music videos would probably go to Big Sean's "Ass" and anything Nicki Minaj ever performed.
Gotta disagree on Minaj. Love the videos, love her character, love her ass. Damn, ass for days.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

The baboons really hate Dawkins .
The nasty, petty bile is leaking all over the comments section.
PZ may be trying to dial it back a little because they are so over the top it genuinely bothers him or it could be that he will be speaking at an event where Dawkins will also be present or he has realized that his nasty habit of trashing prominent skeptics is making him a pariah.
Regardless, he was the one that trained the vicious beasties in the baboon horde and only has himself to blame if they turn on him.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Look at that: white mom, black kitties.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 1747_n.jpg
Phil, is that your gentleman's area in the background? Nice choice of underwear: thin stripes, which amplify even the smallest Gallic bump ro give the illusion of a significant piece of saucisson Francais.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

Cultural appropriation?

[youtube]W6DmHGYy_xk[/youtube]

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

bhoytony wrote:Ok, you want cultural appropriation? I give you blues guitarist Todd Sharpeville. Not only is he white and not born in a sharecroppers shack in the Mississippi Delta, but Todd Sharpeville isn't his real name. He is in fact The Hon. Roland Augusto Jestyn Estanislao Philipps son of the 3rd Viscount St Davids and younger brother of 4th Viscount St Davids and heir to the titles Baron Strange Of Knockin , Baron Hungerford , Baron de Moleyns , and the Baronetcy Of Picton Castle (he is a pretty good guitarist though).
Beat That Beastie Boys.
It just occurred to me that perhaps AndrewV69 is moonlighting as Joe Bonamassa.

windy

Post by windy »

Gumby wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Why do people get so pissed off about "appropriating culture"? Does white people listening to NWA mean somewhere an orphan must go without food?
Isn't every single culture in the history of the planet guilty of appropriating another culture at some point in time?
I just think it's funny that the same people who piss and moan about "cultural appropriation" piss and moan about things like segregation.
Speaking of segregation, this was pretty funny as well:

http://rt.com/news/uk-comfortably-segregated-study-315/
Conversely, 600,000 white British people left London for other parts of England and Wales – often choosing homogeneous districts which are over 90 percent white.

Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Mapping Integration project at Demos and a former chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, characterized the trend as ‘comfort-zone segregation.’ He noted that white Brits who moved out of multiethnic areas were not doing so out of racism or discomfort with racial diversity, and in fact tended to be more tolerant than those who opted to stay.
Absolutely, nothing says "tolerant" more than ditching a "multiethnic" area in favor of a white enclave. They're just trying to give the minorities a safe space, right? :lol:

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Bhurzum wrote:Cultural appropriation?

[youtube]W6DmHGYy_xk[/youtube]
Har har, great. I'd like to see a version of that where the left hand panel had Steersman's reactions while watching. As a matter of fact I'd like to see his reaction to any cultural item since the advent of the valve radio.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Tony Parsehole wrote:@ John.
No dig taken mate.
I was only going on what I'd seen recently. Hadn't heard of the fucking thing since Crommunist threatened to throw paint over a girl for wearing an NWA T-shirt. Such was his rage over his culture being appropriated.
For some reason I was under the impression that poor Crom was just trying to show he was not an "oreo". I would be surprised if anyone took his "threat" seriously.

Now if this guy had made that claim I would believe him:
http://cbssports.com/images/blogs/Richi ... ing_Me.jpg

What is the opposite of "oreo" anyway?

(yes I am being deliberately provocative)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

another lurker wrote:How about MIA.

She is East Indian.

And has appropriated hip-hop.
I am not usually a fan but this one worked for me.
[youtube]ewRjZoRtu0Y[/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:

PZ may be trying to dial it back a little because they are so over the top it genuinely bothers him or it could be that he will be speaking at an event where Dawkins will also be present or he has realized that his nasty habit of trashing prominent skeptics is making him a pariah.
Regardless, he was the one that trained the vicious beasties in the baboon horde and only has himself to blame if they turn on him.
I would love to see the insanity in that thread, but I don't want them to have my IP address. Way to be welcoming, FTB folks! Nothing lubricates free and open discussion like having a history of doxxing those who disagree with you.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Steersman wrote: Just out of curiosity, do you or others happen to have a link to that supposedly offending video by WoolyBumbleBee? I’ve looked and it’s of course no longer available on YouTube, and I notice that her own site – TruthAndOblivion – is no longer active.
Not sure about the "offending video" (I'm lost in as far as this thread) but you can find WoolyBumbleBee at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWoolybumblebee. Maybe that new website "Menticulture" (wtf does that mean?) has a link somewhere.

Rope apologist

Post by Rope apologist »

They won't turn on him, at least not more than momentarily. Peezus has been a hypocrite and a classist suckup forever and gotten away with it.
But, you know, when we say that there should be no masters and no heroes, and that everyone should be subject to criticism, and there’s no one who’s perfect, we also need to recognize the complement to that: no one is totally bad, everyone has some area in which they’re right and good, and there’s no one who is perfectly bad.
Yeah, that's the attitude he shows toward Catholics, or Ray Comfort, who he called a parasite. Why should Anthony K treat Dawkins differently, unless he cares as much about Peezus not being a pariah as PZ does? They'll toe the line, though, at least if the banhammer is brought out.

Hypocrisy is enforced there.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

She is East Indian.

As far as I know she is English and her family is Sri Lankan not Indian.

Sarlug

Post by Sarlug »

Well, that's the creepy thing about SJWs. Myers is one of the saner ones.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

"Culturally appropriating" the blues reminds me of a few more points. Remember the black slaves had to do a bit of "cultural appropriation" themselves, in terms of instruments, tuning and harmony. They weren't maintaining african culture like some museum piece.

The notion of "whities playing black music" continued throughout the early jazz eras like bebop. However, instead of the black bebop players having a giant whinge, the set out to hone their craft to a level where they could not be imitated. The results where some of the most formidable musical identities in american music (Charlie Parker, Miles Davis et al). I think that spirit of competition is far more palatable compared with the "race to the bottom" mentality and victimhood status of the feminist/SJW movement.

As a musician myself, I decided long ago that politics should not dictate music, or any art.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

James Caruthers wrote:

I thought it was pretty cool that Mama Smith culturally appropriated suburban white boy music fronted a metal band for a while. Their music wasn't remarkable, but she worked it like her heart was in it. The lady's a metalhead, who knew?

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

ReneeHendricks wrote:
Steersman wrote: Just out of curiosity, do you or others happen to have a link to that supposedly offending video by WoolyBumbleBee? I’ve looked and it’s of course no longer available on YouTube, and I notice that her own site – TruthAndOblivion – is no longer active.
Not sure about the "offending video" (I'm lost in as far as this thread) but you can find WoolyBumbleBee at http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWoolybumblebee. Maybe that new website "Menticulture" (wtf does that mean?) has a link somewhere.
Thanks - will look into it a little later.

But, if you're interested, here's the Justicar video that discusses that one of WBB's which seems to be the focus of the discussion at Avicenna's place on the question of Melody's supposed PTSD.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

bhoytony wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Ok, you want cultural appropriation? I give you blues guitarist Todd Sharpeville. Not only is he white and not born in a sharecroppers shack in the Mississippi Delta, but Todd Sharpeville isn't his real name. He is in fact The Hon. Roland Augusto Jestyn Estanislao Philipps son of the 3rd Viscount St Davids and younger brother of 4th Viscount St Davids and heir to the titles Baron Strange Of Knockin , Baron Hungerford , Baron de Moleyns , and the Baronetcy Of Picton Castle (he is a pretty good guitarist though).
Beat That Beastie Boys.
It just occurred to me that perhaps AndrewV69 is moonlighting as Joe Bonamassa.
True story. My barber decided he was going to guess what I did for a living before I retired. His guess was longshoreman.

(I do make a serious effort not to put on airs and graces so I was quite pleased. Mind, I do get busted from time to time. Last one was an old lady from the auld country who was not amused).

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Pitchguest wrote:
So here's John Greg telling Raging Bee he's (she/it's) got a major reading comprehension problem and needs remedial English lessons.
I remind everyone that the only appropriate term for an A-Plusser/Ftbully of indeterminate gender is s/h/it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Hunt wrote:PZ had better check himself for any visible open cuts or abrasions. If they see red, the chicken yard will tear him apart in a matter of seconds.
You mean, like this?
barbarella_dolls.jpg
(58.6 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

jet_lagg wrote:Had to get in on this.

[youtube]OE2l6CPna4M[/youtube]
God, I hate you so much.

To get the taste of that out of my ears, I have to floosh with some intentionally, ironically bad

[youtube]cn73Wtem0No[/youtube]

Incidentally, I used to sing that to the ex-wife (Rolly-polly fish heads are never seen drinking cappuccino in Italian restaurants with Oriental women) and she would throw in the appropriate "YEAH!" and "YUM!".

It was fucking adorable.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

bhoytony wrote:

She is East Indian.

As far as I know she is English and her family is Sri Lankan not Indian.
My bad. I remember now, she was on Colbert.

She's gorgeous too.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Regarding this bit of art,

http://i.imgur.com/tiY5Sgr.png

The first (original) frame depicts an F-86 destroying a MiG-15, no problem there*. Lichtenstein's version on the other hand has a somewhat stylized F-51** destroying an F-86! There's only one word to describe such a cavalier approach to historical accuracy;

Outrageous.

* That said, the likelihood of an F-86 ever carrying under-wing rockets during the Korean conflict was slim.

** After WW2 US fighter aircraft were re-designated with the prefix 'F' for 'fighter', replacing 'P' for pursuit.

Message ends.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Tapir,
I think you could make a case for the second image showing a Skyraider firing the rockets.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

On Avi's thread, a new variation on the old FTB self-rape threat joke, from somone called MattP (must mock his crappy brain):
... kindly go off and fuck yourself with a rake.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:@ John.
No dig taken mate.
I was only going on what I'd seen recently. Hadn't heard of the fucking thing since Crommunist threatened to throw paint over a girl for wearing an NWA T-shirt. Such was his rage over his culture being appropriated.
For some reason I was under the impression that poor Crom was just trying to show he was not an "oreo".
It's too late for me. I already revealed my Zeppelin fetish and they STOLE-stole music from people. At least it was black AND white musicians, so it's no different than what pop-artists were doing in the 90's.

And the opposite of an Oreo is a Milano.

http://www.cupofjohn.com/wp-content/upl ... lanos1.jpg

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

windy wrote:Speaking of segregation, this was pretty funny as well:

http://rt.com/news/uk-comfortably-segregated-study-315/
Conversely, 600,000 white British people left London for other parts of England and Wales – often choosing homogeneous districts which are over 90 percent white.

Trevor Phillips, chairman of the Mapping Integration project at Demos and a former chairman of the Equality and Human Rights Commission, characterized the trend as ‘comfort-zone segregation.’ He noted that white Brits who moved out of multiethnic areas were not doing so out of racism or discomfort with racial diversity, and in fact tended to be more tolerant than those who opted to stay.
Absolutely, nothing says "tolerant" more than ditching a "multiethnic" area in favor of a white enclave. They're just trying to give the minorities a safe space, right? :lol:
I remember reading a SciAm article (back before SciAm went to shit) about a computer simulation that showed that, even if people wished to live among some diversity, their desire to not be a greatly outnumbered minority themselves would gradually segregate neighborhoods.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Avicenna makes me cringe.

I enjoyed his blog at first, but over time he started to annoy me because I get the impression that he thinks very highly of himself.

Now he just makes me cringe in embarrassment because he so desperately wants others to regard him as highly as he regards himself.

Apples

Post by Apples »

W6DmHGYy_xk[/youtube]
:shock: :) :D :lol: that made me so happy.

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

acathode wrote:
rpguest wrote:start a patreon account. one video per raid
The gaming community is way ahead, these days there's quite a few gamers that makes a good living of just streaming themselves playing games on Twitch.tv or making Let's Plays for youtube.

I guess that's kinda why I'm not bothered by the e-begging from Watson etc, we're living in a world where PewPewDie is literally earning millions of dollars each year from making videos like this:
[youtube]tNwFexjnbyM[/youtube]
:evil:

I did NOT need to know this

I hate you

:|

Git

Post by Git »

On the Dawkins AMA:
Hello Dr. Dawkins,
Your work is really inspirational and made me excited evolution. I was curious about opinions on how it applies to human behavior; specifically your thoughts on the field of evolutionary psychology. What in your opinion is a good example of ev psych research and why is it good? What do you think ev psych as a field can do better to validate itself to its naysayers in biology?
Thanks!
[–]_RichardDawkins 84 points 6 hours ago
I have a high regard for much (not all) of Evolutionary Psychology. And am baffled by the extraordinary levels of hostility that it seems to arouse, especially in people who know rather little about it.

Ouch.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

screwtape wrote:Tapir,
I think you could make a case for the second image showing a Skyraider firing the rockets.
True, the tail does have that cropped, angular look of a Skyraider but the remainder of the fuselage is too different in my opinion. The exhausts in particular mean there's no radial engine up front, and the only US aircraft with an inline engine serving in Korea was....the F-51 (and the F-82).*

* As far as I know.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tapir wrote:Regarding this bit of art,

http://i.imgur.com/tiY5Sgr.png

The first (original) frame depicts an F-86 destroying a MiG-15, no problem there*. Lichtenstein's version on the other hand has a somewhat stylized F-51** destroying an F-86! There's only one word to describe such a cavalier approach to historical accuracy;

Outrageous.

* That said, the likelihood of an F-86 ever carrying under-wing rockets during the Korean conflict was slim.

** After WW2 US fighter aircraft were re-designated with the prefix 'F' for 'fighter', replacing 'P' for pursuit.

Message ends.

Frak, I never noticed that, and now it bugs the hell out of me. Liechtenstein cunt.

If that is a F(P)-51 (& the tail is a giveaway), and your armorer was stupid enough to mount rockets at the wing roots, you've just shot your own propeller off. Not to mention the friendly fire awkwardness.

This is why my GF won't watch movies with me any more.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Tapir wrote:
screwtape wrote:Tapir,
True, the tail does have that cropped, angular look of a Skyraider but the remainder of the fuselage is too different in my opinion. The exhausts in particular mean there's no radial engine up front, and the only US aircraft with an inline engine serving in Korea was....the F-51 (and the F-82).*

* As far as I know.
Tangent on the Skyraider, although they were the workhorses for the Navy/Marines in Korea, their only air victory in Korea was a Russian made Polikarpov Po-2 biplane. After the war they shot down 2 Chinese La-9's. But in Vietnam, they shot down 2 Mig-17's. They were actually a badass little plane.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Bhurzum wrote:
welch wrote:Shit on a monocle, not everything has a deeper meaning, nor should it. Sometimes, a song about partying is just that: a song about partying and having fun and not letting the world crap on your good time.
[youtube]kfVsfOSbJY0[/youtube]

/snigger
People actually compared that to Paul's verses to "A Day In Life". Go figure.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Because this shit matters:

NA P-51:
p-51.gif
(8.42 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Douglas Skyraider:
Skyraider.jpg
(114.11 KiB) Downloaded 280 times

Screwtape is correct that a Skyraider could be expected to be carrying rockets. But the Skyraider role was exclusively air-to-ground.

Tapir is correct that the Skyraider was a radial, the F-51 an inline. Plus, it's a Mustang tail.

But whadya expect from a hack, derivative artist who appropriates other people's work?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Southern wrote:

First time I heard it, I said, "Ya know, the Bay City Rollers did this way better, and they sucked something awful!"

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Apples wrote:

W6DmHGYy_xk[/youtube]
:shock: :) :D :lol: that made me so happy.
This is another great one of his:

[youtube]KAQhG59zqZc[/youtube]

ERV
Arnie Loves Me!
Arnie Loves Me!

Post by ERV »

Jesus Melody Hensley is psycho. She Twatted this: Read that article.

Idiotic gobbledegook. Its a word salad, at best. But not to good ol Mels. That is serious shit.

About that website:
SOTT.net is a research project of the non-profit Quantum Future Group (QFG). The project includes collecting, arranging, and analyzing news items that seem to best reflect the movement of macrocosmic quantum energies on the planet. This research further includes noting whether or not human beings, individually and/or collectively, can actually remember from one day to the next the state of the planet, and whether they are able to accurately read that information and make intelligent decisions about their future based on that knowledge. In short, SOTT.net is an experiment.
Executive director for The Center for Inquiry, ladies and gentlemen.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Look at that: white mom, black kitties.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 1747_n.jpg
I was looking to adopt a kitty (some months ago we found 3 of them abandoned in a box by our front gate), but... we have three dogs in the house, and one of them already killed a kitty (that was foolish enough to enter our yard) once. The damn dog recently killed a bird that was learning to fly and foolishly landed on the backyard where the dogs were standing. Bird that we saw the mother raise as she made her nest on a pillar over the front door.

And no, it's not a ferocious dog of any sort, but a Daschund that we rescued from the streets. What he has in length, he has in determination to kill smaller animals. Evil dog, I tell you.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Funny thing is that it isn't anything but a generic aircraft inspired by the original comic book art. The exhaust stubs were presumably inspired by the machine gun ports on the F-86 in the original. The thing that said 'Skyraider' to me was the depth of the fuselage under the fin. And I'm sure Lichtenstein would have laughed at us and declared that such transformations were the point of his art.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Mykeru wrote:Incidentally, I used to sing that to the ex-wife (Rolly-polly fish heads are never seen drinking cappuccino in Italian restaurants with Oriental women) and she would throw in the appropriate "YEAH!" and "YUM!".

It was fucking adorable.
My ex and her cousins had a thing for chicken feet (but not me). Sometimes a bemused Chinese waiter would hang around just to see if a bunch of gweilos were really actually going to eat them.

Mind, I will never turn down haggis and I am partial to trotters and I tolerate tripe. But I draw the line at chicken feet.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Steersman wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Thanks - will look into it a little later.

But, if you're interested, here's the Justicar video that discusses that one of WBB's which seems to be the focus of the discussion at Avicenna's place on the question of Melody's supposed PTSD.
Ahh, ok. Yeah, I've seen Justicar's vid on this (commented even). Poor, poor Melody. Unable to turn off the computer and walk away from social media caused "PTSD".

Southern

Post by Southern »

ERV wrote:Jesus Melody Hensley is psycho. She Twatted this: Read that article.

Idiotic gobbledegook. Its a word salad, at best. But not to good ol Mels. That is serious shit.

About that website:
SOTT.net is a research project of the non-profit Quantum Future Group (QFG). The project includes collecting, arranging, and analyzing news items that seem to best reflect the movement of macrocosmic quantum energies on the planet. This research further includes noting whether or not human beings, individually and/or collectively, can actually remember from one day to the next the state of the planet, and whether they are able to accurately read that information and make intelligent decisions about their future based on that knowledge. In short, SOTT.net is an experiment.
Executive director for The Center for Inquiry, ladies and gentlemen.
I stopped on the first clueless use of the word "quantum". Fuck off, woo peddlers!

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Southern wrote: I stopped on the first clueless use of the word "quantum". Fuck off, woo peddlers!
Exactly how I feel about people who use the term PTSD in relation to the Internet

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Southern wrote:

First time I heard it, I said, "Ya know, the Bay City Rollers did this way better, and they sucked something awful!"
Ugh, Auto-Tune much?

::goes to scour auditory cortex::

H. Korban

Post by H. Korban »

ERV wrote:Good lord.
You read all the papers that come out in your field, and closely related fields. "All the papers?" you might ask. Yes. ALL THE FUCKING PAPERS.

WHY IS SHE ASKING RANDOM INTERNET PEOPLE FOR PAPERS IN HER OWN FIELD?

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
Reading papers takes time, and, more importantly, intelligence. However, drama blogging takes no effort, just a morbid taste for gossip, innuendo, an inflated ego, and even a stupid person can do it.

Or, perhaps, she has not heard of the concept of research databases, or the simple act of looking at the last few issues of Nature, Science or Cell?

Or, perhaps this is a cry for Pappa Meyers (PBUH) to help her out?

As they say: the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

mordacious1

Post by mordacious1 »

Trigger warning for Eeeeeeewwwwwwwww!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25108439

Sick bastard! Attempted rape of an 11 mo. old baby?