Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Joseph Porter, KCB

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Joseph Porter, KCB »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:As Matt said a while ago, evo-psych is just ethology applied to the genus Homo.
That's cissexist exclusionary hate-speech!

You should instead say "the genus Homo, bi, lesbian, queer, genderfluid, transsexual", you racist!

cunt

Post by cunt »

E-E EDL, eh Bhurzum? Allah is a pedo, allah is a pedo.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tribble wrote:
welch wrote:
That's been my read on the actual science of it, at least the parts i've read. Now, there's a lot of people using EP to justify some really stupid shit, but then again, people did that with evolution as well. And physics, chemistry, etc. ...
Look at Deepak Chopra. The guy is a huge woo peddler and it he dresses it all up in science-like physics-bafflegarble. Here he is dragging quantuum physics into one of his execrable HuffPo colums: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-ch ... 18940.html
<snip>
And he's not the only one. He's just the low-hanging fruit. There are lot of them that are harder to tell. It takes real knowledge to know they are actually fakers and fraudsters.
Jerry Coyne had a post on the topic of Chopra and his woo last week, particularly that HuffPo article. However, unfortunately or not, the nature of consciousness seems rather less of a slam-dunk than many, including Coyne, think it is – consistent with his rather dogmatic insistence on determinism – which tends to give free rein to the more off-the-wall or fraudulent.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Joseph Porter, KCB wrote:
another lurker wrote:Related?

http://suite101.com/a/using-the-brain-t ... cd-a247596

In The Brain That Changes Itself, Norman Doidge M.D. overthrows years of dogma about the fixity of the brain by examining the ways in which neuroplasticity — a fundamental property of the brain — can bring about successful physical healing and personal transformation. Neuroplasticity is the ability of the brain to rewire its circuits for change.

One example he explores is Dr. Jeffrey M. Schwartz's use of "plasticity-based treatment" to help patients locked in repetitive cycles of obsessive compulsions. These patients often "get stuck" in behaviors like hair pulling, buttoning and unbuttoning shirts, hand and body washing – rituals they utilize as an attempt to staunch their sense of impending disaster. Compulsive hand and nail biting often leads to injured fingers and hands known as dermatophagia.
Not really related. EP says you have a suite of behaviors and traits because in the past, people with those behaviors and traits had more grandchildren than people who didn't have those behaviors and traits.

Neuroplasticity can I guess be seen as such a trait, but really it's just a consequence of numbers.

You have maybe 3 billion base pairs in your DNA, which make up about 21,000 genes that code for proteins, and an unknown number of regulatory genes.

But in your brain (let alone the rest of your nervous system) you have maybe 85 billion neurons, and maybe a quadrillion (100,000,000,000,000) connections between those neurons.

So there's just not enough DNA to specify which neurons should connect to which other neurons. But to be a human (or a cat, or a grasshopper), you have to have some connection setup.

This is where plasticity (and chemical gradients and chemotaxsis and lots of other things) comes into play: there's enough DNA to specify a sort of feedback loop, where neurons are initially more promiscuously connected, and then pruned back.

Analogously to Michelangelo finding the sculpture in the block of marble, a lot of childhood brain development involves letting most connections wither away, leaving only the "right" ones. It's surmised by some (see William H. Calvin) that this, and other brain functions, are themselves Darwinian processes in which only the fittest connections survive.

Until relatively recently (the last 20 years or so), we thought that neuroplasticity ended when after childhood development. But studies on songbirds (which in some species relearn their songs every mating season), on cabbies, and pianists, and clinical observation of brain-injured humans, have shown us that plasticity continues in adult brains.

But this has little to do with EvoPysch; EvoPysch is about in-born, human-universal behaviors.
Oh, I know it doesn't qualify as 'evo-psych', I was just pointing it out because of the 'neuro-plasticity' angle. But didn't quite know how to broach the subject. Your explanation is great, however:)

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

cunt wrote:Those are the 14 words of white power nationalists. I'm really glad you didn't get it. I think Bhurzums probably did.
Throw more shit, that last handful missed by a country mile.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Keep voting BNP. 14/88, brother.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

cunt wrote:E-E EDL, eh Bhurzum? Allah is a pedo, allah is a pedo.
The EDL are clowns. Sorry to disappoint you.

Next handful of shit please.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Tribble wrote:
Look at Deepak Chopra. The guy is a huge woo peddler and it he dresses it all up in science-like physics-bafflegarble. Here he is dragging quantuum physics into one of his execrable HuffPo colums: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/deepak-ch ... 18940.html

And look at his published book list which includes titles such as:

Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind/Body Medicine
Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
New Physics of Healing
War of the Worldviews: Where Science and Spirituality Meet -- and Do Not
The Essential Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Essence of the Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
Healing the Heart: A Spiritual Approach to Reversing Coronary Artery Disease

And more...

And it's all science-sounding bafflegarble written by a con man.

And he's not the only one. He's just the low-hanging fruit. There are lot of them that are harder to tell. It takes real knowledge to know they are actually fakers and fraudsters.
Chopra seems like one of the world's biggest assholes. He spins all of his nonsense as science and sells it to gullible suckers, using the Peter Popoff time-honored method of promising things you can't possibly deliver and wrapping your scam in the plausible deniability of woo/religious jargon. There's a channel on youtube called Spirit Science. Same bullshit. It has a huge fanbase. If hating on Becky and co is getting stale, perhaps a shift to hating on SpiritScience is in order? All the guy really does is make shitty videos (that rip off the style of Extra Credits in every conceivable way) in which he rolls all of the new age nonsense in with paranoid conspiracy theories and alien woo to create a perfect storm of pure horse shit.

[youtube]0Gb6WNXX14Y[/youtube]
History is one of my passions and areas of study. It really sucks that this bitch can get on the internet and lie to people and most people will believe him. He spews so much concentrated bunk that you'd need degrees in math, physics, archeology, anthropology, quantum physics and ancient near eastern literature just to begin to unravel all his collated crap.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I made the mistake of downloading "What the Bleep Do We Know" and was reallly confused because I couldn't understand how they could get so many reputable scientists to 'back up' their asinine claims. Of course, by 1) lying to the scientists and 2) through the magic of editing, the producers were able to give the impression that the scientists actually believed this bullshit.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

cunt wrote:Those are the 14 words of white power nationalists. I'm really glad you didn't get it. I think Bhurzums probably did.
And all you has to get was three words: "stick the flounce".

cunt

Post by cunt »

I prefer "hit by truck". Rolls off the tounge.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

another lurker wrote:I made the mistake of downloading "What the Bleep Do We Know" and was reallly confused because I couldn't understand how they could get so many reputable scientists to 'back up' their asinine claims. Of course, by 1) lying to the scientists and 2) through the magic of editing, the producers were able to give the impression that the scientists actually believed this bullshit.
Ah, I seen that a while ago. High production values, snazzy graphics/CGI and a pretty stunning deaf actress. It's easy to understand why folks swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

Wave-function collapse still makes my head hurt. Still, I stumbled onto a bunch of m-theory lectures because of that (crappy) movie and I've been digging into it ever since.

The actress who played the photographer is pretty nice though :D

Joseph Porter, KCB

James Caruthers wrote:If hating on Becky and co is getting stale, perhaps a shift to hating on SpiritScience is in order? All the guy really does is make shitty videos (that rip off the style of Extra Credits in every conceivable way) in which he rolls all of the new age nonsense in with paranoid conspiracy theories and alien woo to create a perfect storm of pure horse shit.

History is one of my passions and areas of study. It really sucks that this bitch can get on the internet and lie to people and most people will believe him. He spews so much concentrated bunk that you'd need degrees in math, physics, archeology, anthropology, quantum physics and ancient near eastern literature just to begin to unravel all his collated crap.

Nope, Becky is more of a threat. While both SpiritScience and A+/Becky/PZ appeal to the weak sisters (of either gender) and woo seekers, the latter also consciously try to appropriate the culture of skepticism while severing it from its roots in Enlightenment Rationalism (and its kinship to Classical (JS MIll) Liberalism).

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Aneris wrote:[youtube]DlS3w1GGE8g[/youtube]

What image search unearths.
http://metalinjection.s3.amazonaws.com/ ... r-Fan.jpeg
Francisco Bacopa?

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

James Caruthers wrote:If hating on Becky and co is getting stale, perhaps a shift to hating on SpiritScience is in order? All the guy really does is make shitty videos (that rip off the style of Extra Credits in every conceivable way) in which he rolls all of the new age nonsense in with paranoid conspiracy theories and alien woo to create a perfect storm of pure horse shit.

Nope, Becky is more of a threat. While both SpiritScience and A+/Becky/PZ appeal to the weak sisters (of either gender) and woo seekers, the latter also consciously try to appropriate the culture of skepticism while severing it from its roots in Enlightenment Rationalism (and its kinship to Classical (JS MIll) Liberalism).
You know, I thought so too...but then cunt informed me we were just an angry forum because she made a video, and said some things we didn't like, so that's that sorted out then. No continuing threat from a SJL agenda, just us being butthurt. Golly!

CaptainFluffyBunny

You know, I thought so too...but then cunt informed me we were just an angry forum because she made a video, and said some things we didn't like, so that's that sorted out then. No continuing threat from a SJL agenda, just us being butthurt. Golly!

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

oh,
/wave Rocko

fucker didn't even share a cute baby animal pic!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

another lurker wrote:oh,
/wave Rocko

http://www.onecrmpro.com/heli/itsybitsyspiders.jpg

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Lsuoma wrote:
/wave Rocko

Oh, trigger warning, BTW...

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Lsuoma wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:
/wave Rocko

Oh, trigger warning, BTW...

Not even a scary spider can take my eyes off of your beautiful rack! (or anyone else's eyes, for that matter) :bjarte:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

cunt wrote:I prefer "hit by truck". Rolls off the tounge.
Just like Mykeru rolled off the hood. :rimshot:

Seriously, Cunt, how much has this marathon session of internet psycotherapy cost you in meth?

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Liesmith

Post by Liesmith »

I don't know if the Pit will ever be able to heal from the deep rifts we have endured today as various members tried to engage in a meaningful, intellectual debate, only to be silenced by trolls constantly posting animal pictures.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Liesmith wrote:I don't know if the Pit will ever be able to heal from the deep rifts we have endured today as various members tried to engage in a meaningful, intellectual debate, only to be silenced by trolls constantly posting animal pictures.
TROLLOLOLOLOL!!!

http://rubmint.com/wp-content/plugins/w ... a-here.gif

cunt

Post by cunt »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
cunt wrote:I prefer "hit by truck". Rolls off the tounge.
Just like Mykeru rolled off the hood. :rimshot:

Seriously, Cunt, how much has this marathon session of internet psycotherapy cost you in meth?
Well I can't fucking go to NA. They have swirly hypno glasses what indoctrinate you into their cult.

Lurkion

Post by Lurkion »

The FTBers have asked me to convey to you all to stop posting graven images.

CaptainFluffyBunny

rocko2466 wrote:The FTBers have asked me to convey to you all to stop posting graven images.
Like this?
BabyGrave.jpg
(9.5 KiB) Downloaded 229 times

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
welch wrote: Ohhh...okay. See, there's so many weirdo white supremacist/nazi groups in the US, (fuck, half of idaho is nothing but their mecca over here), you have to be more specific. On any given day, those clowns are sucking all the media dick they can get, so specifics get drowned out by the overall noise. You have to be Westboro Baptist Church-crazy to get noticed around here.

Then add that I live in FL, and good luck defeating THAT level of crazy.
Ah, well they'll all recognise that. Its what they chant while they're jerking the next klansman off.
I think you are giving them a magnitude more IQ and literacy points than they possess.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
welch wrote:
Steersman wrote:
you're STILL crying about that? Christ man, that was what, a week ago?
And you brought it up again moments ago; you wish to make yourself a target don't be suprised if people oblige.
Make you a deal:

when you only miss one or two jokes a year, and I miss every single one not identified by a <joke> tag, we'll revisit this, and i'll give you your two dollars.

No one gets EVERY joke, but you barely get ANY and then get really pissy with people when they tell you it was a joke. Fuck, I was just trying to figure out what he meant, esp. the reservation thing.

Some of that is at least cross-cultural, what's your excuse?

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:Keep voting BNP. 14/88, brother.
No wonder those fuckers haven't won at anything since the 30s. Even THEY would have a hard time keeping up with their own jargon.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

welch wrote:
No wonder those fuckers haven't won at anything since the 30s. Even THEY would have a hard time keeping up with their own jargon.
Yeah, numbers like that are usually something to do with Hitler. Birthdays, and whatnot. But I don't know what these ones are.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

katamari Damassi wrote:
another lurker wrote:Anyone else having problems refreshing the 'pit, or is it just me? My ISP did an upgrade today, however, the only site that I am having issues with is the 'pit.
Yes, I'm having problems with the pit today. It's being dominated by cunt's trolling.
Literally LOL'd.

What a slog to catch up today. Blocked someone for the first time. Guess who.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Liesmith wrote:I haven't been able to reply all day because I've been at work, but I just wanted to say that I agree with everything Cünt has said.
Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. THIS is the one I LOL'd at.

welch

Post by welch »

welch wrote:
Yeah, numbers like that are usually something to do with Hitler. Birthdays, and whatnot. But I don't know what these ones are.
I had to look it up. (and I live in the southern US. That's how weird some of this gets)

The "14" refers to fourteen words that are the rallying cry for White Power nitwits. The 88 refers to a longer related passage from Mein Kampf, or alternately, HH, aka "Heil Hitler", H being the 8th letter of the alphabet.

You know, if these twonks ever learned how to communicate in a clear, straightforward manner, they'd actually be scary.

didymos

Post by didymos »

welch wrote: You know, if these twonks ever learned how to communicate in a clear, straightforward manner, they'd actually be scary.
I don't think they're trying to communicate with anyone but each other. That's all in-group stuff.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

didymos wrote:
welch wrote: You know, if these twonks ever learned how to communicate in a clear, straightforward manner, they'd actually be scary.
I don't think they're trying to communicate with anyone but each other. That's all in-group stuff.
I hate in-group stuff.

Cnt s pthtc trll.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Cnt s pthtc trll.
Dn't fd th trll!

(h shld stck th flnc)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Hly sht, PZ hs dsmvwld th Pt. Hw'd h mng tht trck?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Skep tickle wrote:Hly sht, PZ hs dsmvwld th Pt. Hw'd h mng tht trck?
:D :lol:

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Yup, it's Hope Sandoval (of Mazzy Star fame):

[youtube]SiO_7LhPZFM[/youtube]

Wait, what?

Have I horribly misunderstood you Skep?

Nah, I just wanted to link the song because it's brilliant and I have the hots for Sandoval :lol:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Bhurzum wrote:

Wait, what?

Nah, I just wanted to link the song because it's brilliant and I have the hots for Sandoval :lol:
Just because she's white. Why didn't you post some Marley, you racist?

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Y cn dsmvwl m, bt y cn't stp m frm pstng ct kttn pctrs.

http://nicepetsblog.com/wp-content/uplo ... resize.jpg

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Just because she's white. Why didn't you post some Marley, you racist?
Because I'm the lovechild of Nick Griffin and Hitler? Or something to do with the Da Vinci code? I don't know, ask Cunt, he knows everything.

Anyway, Hope Sandoval sings like a fucking angel and I thought I'd share it with you.

Last time I do anything nice around here.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1818132224/h36452567/

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Apples wrote:
It's been >5 weeks since her last blog post. Maybe she forgot her password, or Ed & PZ have changed her privileges at FtB?

_____

rocko2466 - Good to see you, man! New relationship, okay that works as an excuse for being absent for a while. Good call, too, holding back on the reveal about your past guerilla activities until you can suss out whether your new GF would be sympathetic, or at least amused.

Joseph Porter, KCB

Bhurzum wrote:

Wait, what?

Check your privilege, she's Hispanic! You should shut your mouth and listen to her educate you.

Unless you're gay or trans, in which case she's more privileged and should stop singing and be educated by you!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

RW has a new patreon vid up. This time she wages jihad on the Salvos. Ho Ho indeed. The vids mostly characterised by the reflection of her auto prompt in her glasses.

Why anyone wants to watch RW read an essay while pretending with sideways glances to "think" astounds me. Apart of course from people like me staring at the perpetual train wreak.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Bhurzum wrote:

[.youtube]SiO_7LhPZFM[/youtube]

Wait, what?

That was lovely. Soft & breathy...warm...fuzzy...nice....

OMG, it's the audio equivalent of a kitten picture. :shock:

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Bhurzum wrote:

Wait, what?

Check your privilege, she's Hispanic! You should shut your mouth and listen to her educate you.

Unless you're gay or trans, in which case she's more privileged and should stop singing and be educated by you!
I'm a Lebanese lesbian who likes licking Libyan librarian ladies. Yeah, I'm fairly secure of my position in the Oppression Olympics.

Bhurzum: I think you forgot to add that you are part of the crypto-Jewish effort to cause anarcho civil war in the UK by means of dividing the races. Don't undersell yourself.

Anyway, it seems that Cunt has finally crashed after his epic meth marathon. Could someone check in on him every hour or so, make sure he's still breathing?

Joseph Porter, KCB

Bhurzum wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Just because she's white. Why didn't you post some Marley, you racist?
Because I'm the lovechild of Nick Griffin and Hitler? Or something to do with the Da Vinci code? I don't know, ask Cunt, he knows everything.

Anyway, Hope Sandoval sings like a fucking angel and I thought I'd share it with you.

Last time I do anything nice around here.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/1818132224/h36452567/

Look closely at Sulky Cat. Is s/h/it wearing a Sulky Amy, or is s/h/it a heretic wearing Fake Jewelryâ„¢?

Fake Jewelryâ„¢ makes Sulky Amy cry.

http://elevatorgate.files.wordpress.com ... .jpg?w=590

Look again at Sulky Cat. That's here. That's home. That's us. On s/h/it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "Elevator Becky," every "Banninator Myers," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there -- on a mote of dandruff suspended on a cat.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Skep tickle wrote: That was lovely. Soft & breathy...warm...fuzzy...nice....

Glad you liked it.

Give "fade into you" a listen, chances are you'll like that too.

Joseph Porter, KCB

Brive1987 wrote:RW has a new patreon vid up. This time she wages jihad on the Salvos. Ho Ho indeed. The vids mostly characterised by the reflection of her auto prompt in her glasses.

Why anyone wants to watch RW read an essay while pretending with sideways glances to "think" astounds me. Apart of course from people like me staring at the perpetual train wreak.
Is it me, or does she have a mustache?

And an incipient bald spot?

Joseph Porter, KCB

Sumbitch. She got a dollar and twenty cents a second for summarizing a Wikipedia article and smirking.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Skep tickle wrote:
Bhurzum wrote:

[.youtube]SiO_7LhPZFM[/youtube]

Wait, what?

That was lovely. Soft & breathy...warm...fuzzy...nice....

That was excellent mewsic. :D

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:That was excellent mewsic. :D
Littered with deep and meaningful lyrics?

/grin

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Now I think I understand why Rebecca Watson objects so strongly to being called 'cunt'.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

piginthecity wrote:Now I think I understand why Rebecca Watson objects so strongly to being called 'cunt'.
I almost shat... :lol: :lol: :lol: