Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
gargamel

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by gargamel »

cunt wrote:
another lurker wrote:
cunt wrote:No surprise you subscribe to an internet meme and call it a "school of thought". Neither of those are happening though, and I don't even know what face-trolling is. I treat people as they treat me. Slightly worse sometimes, because fuck them.
I just imagine your method of trolling involves rolling your face back and forth on the keyboard:) It's a terrible pun, I agree! However, I just can't imagine you being genuinely pissy. Perhaps it's the avatar. Always thinking of 'cocks.' At any rate, I will never look at David Cameron the same, ever again.
I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't like Mykeru and I really hope that divorcee piece of shit gets hit by another car.
"Do unto others a bit worse than they've done unto you, because fuck them."

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:Funny how pissed off you are by a group trying to keep alcoholics away from alcohol. ITS A CULT!! WOO!!
Well, there are the recent studies that have shown 12-step and similar programs to be remarkably ineffective at their stated goal, mostly because they act as though all addiction, even to the same substance, is exactly the same. It's kind of a "all I have is a screwdriver, so all my problems are nails" sort of approach. It'll work every so often, but it's going to miss a LOT.

cunt

Post by cunt »

By the way, noobs, that Bhurzum guy is a BNP supporter. Probably a neo-nazi. Fair warning.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

cunt wrote:You know excessive sleep is often a sign of severe depression.
Oh God. Your right. :suimouth:

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
cunt wrote:
Seriously. The one link thats been provided to me is that one from the telegraph reporting work commissioned by a shopping centre. Oh, and I can't judge it from that for some reason. I think Dave2 I think said some stuff thats worth looking into but the rest of it has just been shit flung in my direction and apparent surprise that i'm a real dick in response.
"Shit flung" in your direction? The fuck? Are you attempting to rewrite history or something? You were the one who came in shitting on everyone and you're surprised they might shit at you right back? Seriously?
You're the one who's trying to rewrite history pitch. Not me. Strawkins flung some patronising shit at me, I flung some shit back. Now i'm the big bad troll or something. Yeah, so disagree with the slymepit consensus and its worse than pharyngula.
http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000 ... .strip.gif

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Joseph Porter, KCB wrote:
Aneris wrote:
In 2006, it apparently was true enough, provided Lewontin didn't lie about it. Since he appears to be a respected person and not some fringe character, I have some confidence that what he claims is actually supported by evidence.
Well. .. Lewontin (and his buddy Gould) had a track record of putting ideology before science. They certainly didn't mind misrepresenting Wilson in their zeal to attack sociobiology (the predecessor to Evolutionary psychology) for contradicting a Marxist interpretation of biology.

(And while they themselves didn't physically attack Wilson, arguably their rhetoric provided justification for those who did. )

I'm not even saying that Lewontin is intentionally dissembling; he wears very thick ideological goggles and may believe what he says. But he believes what's consistent with his ideology.
Some general ad hominem is not a reason to dismiss the facts (it seems) he reported on in the cited piece. Wilson also favours group selection and Dawkins is vehemently against it, and both had some heated argument over it. I share Dawkins et al views on it, since they make more sense to me. Does it invalidate anything Wilson ever wrote? I don't think so. I didn't find Gould convincing either, based on the few things I know about him (NOMA etc.), yet it does not follow that because Lewontin agreed with Gould one time, and sided with him (also) against Dawkins, Lewontin must be false in this area too (which seems to be his core expertise). You have be so kind and bring some facts, and some explanation why the view I hold is likely not true, addressing the arguments I have brought forward and backed up already fairly well. At least much more than what critics so far have advanced (e.g. steers inappropriate SJW charge, where in reality, the SJWs are the ones who apparently operate with 'white male' etc., i.e. US racism). If you bring some actual evidence that might help me learn more, we might move forward. However, I do not change my views on handwave and association. I like to know and understand what I put forward. I hope that's not too eccentric.

Joseph Porter, KCB

Post by Joseph Porter, KCB »

welch wrote:It's kind of a "all I have is a screwdriver, so all my problems are nails" sort of approach. It'll work every so often, but it's going to miss a LOT.
You've nailed it, anyone who thinks like that is going to get screwed.

Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Post by Bhurzum »

cunt wrote:By the way, noobs, that Bhurzum guy is a BNP supporter. Probably a neo-nazi. Fair warning.
True!

I'm also a 60 foot tall black angel of death who'll pump you full of leukemia whilst you sleep.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

As fascinating as cunt is, this article was in the news today, and I know that we have some gamers here:
The NSA wants to monitor and spy on people wherever they hang out online, so it actually makes sense that online games and communities would be a target. World of Warcraft, Second Life, and even Xbox Live were identified as opportunities, and action taken to start surveillance of those user groups, which consist of tens of millions of people.
Details of such community monitoring have been revealed in a leaked document from 2008 entitled “Exploiting Terrorist Use of Games & Virtual Environments.” It details the NSA believing an online game was the perfect place for terrorists to chat in private or even transfer funds. With that in mind, agents were “deployed” into the games and communities to monitor and make contact if necessary with anyone who could potentially provide information and/or be turned informant.

Did this monitoring see any success? There’s no evidence of that, but the NSA may have overdone things a bit because they also required a deconfliction group. Its purpose was to ensure the agents doing the surveillance didn’t end up talking to other agents in each game or community and get caught in some kind of spy feedback loop.

http://www.geek.com/games/nsa-spies-pla ... e-1579167/

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Bhurzum wrote:
cunt wrote:I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't like Mykeru and I really hope that divorcee piece of shit gets hit by another car.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ZR89 ... /tears.gif
1) Beautiful gif! Perfect.

2) Yeah, Mykeru doesn't have much beyond insults, but you just have to admit that he comes up with the most beautifully imagined and written insults. Sorry, Welch, but he's taken over as my favorite insulter.

3) DeepInsideYourMind: I agree, cunt was funny when he started. Even the user name was great: it took all our uses of the word in comments and just stuck it up there: Cunt. But then Parsehole came on the scene, and was like Cunt 2.0. Hilarious, scandalous, and a whizz with MS Paint. Cunt was the ugly friend who none of the girls wanted to fuck anymore.

4) Cunt: you appear to have been awake for about 30 hours. Are you on a meth streak? Do you need Uncle Mykeru to drive you to an NA meeting?

5) Yes Phil, it is very slow here too. There seems to be a full house of voyeurs watching Cunt drown in his own rage tears.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
cunt wrote:
You're the one who's trying to rewrite history pitch. Not me. Strawkins flung some patronising shit at me, I flung some shit back. Now i'm the big bad troll or something. Yeah, so disagree with the slymepit consensus and its worse than pharyngula.
It's not 'patronising shit' to point out the bleeding obvious - that you haven't got a fucking clue what you are talking about on this particular subject. Its also not 'patronising shit' to point out that your argument that we need a time machine in order to work out what happened in the past is not only patent nonsense, its the same exact argument that creationists use.
Creationists are idiots to use that argument.
And so are you.
Its not mean to point out you defended Myers stupid argument and a few comments later denied doing so.
(You do realise we don't need a time machine to figure that out, don't you? We can just click the previous page!)

Even if I was mean to you and called you a nasty name (boo-fucking-hoo :violin: ) what the fuck has that got to do with your pathetic meltdown when you had a hissy fit the likes of which would embarrass a preschooler, and proceeded to insult every other person posting on this thread?

You should stick to arguments that suit your intellectual ability - those involving screwdrivers and nails.
Lets be honest, you pompous fucking prick, you haven't offered a single argument that hasn't been entirely comprised of shit you think you can sling. Nothing. No links. No sources, no reasoned argument.

Hey though, reinvent yourself as the white-knight of every other moron, and a big boy scientist.
Oh nonsense. You've been quite careful to only reply to the non-substantive responses to your opinion on this. I know a lot of the people here don't pick up on shit, but yeah. Also, you managed to hit the "you were mean to me, so now I'm not going to answer your questions nicely" thing, and of course, the ever-popular Baboon Godwin.

All in all, a good day for you.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:This really is the dumbest forum on the internet. The brave slymepit heroes, still pissed off because a woman said something in a youtube vid back in 2011.
and yet, here you are.

again.

Superiority, you're doing it wrong.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Tribble wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
cunt wrote:
Sorry but "CaptainFluffyBunny"? That's a brony thing, right?
No, not at all. Although I finally saw the pony thing, not as bad as I'd been lead to believe. No, Captain Fluffy Bunny" stems from watching rabbits with my kids, and a passing eagle providing a life lesson in being a fluffy bunny, very low on the food chain.
Ah, bunnies. My wife went to University of Oregon. Some ALF assholes broke into the psychology deptmartment and stole 125 animals, many of which were white rabbits. They released them 'into the wild.'

Not only did it ruin the experiments, but it made a lot of predators fat... Lab bunnies have no survival skills and white is a terrible camouflage color in a temperate coastal zone.
Hah, I was going to the UofO when that happened, I do believe. Don't remember if the ALF (or was it PETA?) were ever caught. Felt bad for the rabbits, poor things should have a sporting chance, but no, out of the frying pan, into the fire. Of course, not a bad deal for the predators involved. Critters gotta eat.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

welch wrote:It's kind of a "all I have is a screwdriver, so all my problems are nails" sort of approach. It'll work every so often, but it's going to miss a LOT.
You've nailed it, anyone who thinks like that is going to get screwed.
And that one person is the only 'pitter I have ever really disliked. Even some of the more pretentious folks are bearable next to mr. screwdriver/nail.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
cunt wrote:
I've seen that before. Its not much better than whining about Myers hurting their sciences feelings: He's such a prick, look at what he says. That's dumb.
Your insightful critique of the work is intriguing, as was your point-by-point rebuttal. Now I know exactly what criticisms you have, and where the argument fails for evo psych. Dumbass.
What work? That dipshit called Myers a bunch of names and said it was outrageous what he said. Fuck Myers but I can't critique an argument that isn't there. Shit for brains.
Well, you can't critique anything if all you do is say it sucks. Which is technically criticism, but really, you're starting to drift a bit. You should go back to ignoring any actual specifics, and when pressed, make with the "you weren't nice to me, so I don't have to do anything" bit. It's a more productive line for you to take in this.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
cunt wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Good fucking riddance to it. Enjoy the next 2 years of ineffectually railing against a bunch of shithead bloggers and monitoring their every post. :D

If you stay away too long I am going to send you email again telling you to come back.

(And you will. You just can not help yourself)
He couldn't stick a flounce with a flounce-sticking machine.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
gargamel wrote: But really, your anal fixation is a bit disturbing. While I am bi, I am quite sure you're not my type. Ta ta!
Oh really, moments after saying the slymepit is dumb. Some moron literally proves that he doesn't know his bum-hole from his dick-hole.
When a flounce doesn't even last a page, you aren't even trying anymore.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Bhurzum wrote:
cunt wrote:By the way, noobs, that Bhurzum guy is a BNP supporter. Probably a neo-nazi. Fair warning.
True!

I'm also a 60 foot tall black angel of death who'll pump you full of leukemia whilst you sleep.
While whispering passages from mein kampf, seig-heiling and caking your lederhosen in jizz.

cunt

Post by cunt »

welch wrote:
cunt wrote:This really is the dumbest forum on the internet. The brave slymepit heroes, still pissed off because a woman said something in a youtube vid back in 2011.
and yet, here you are.

again.

Superiority, you're doing it wrong.
I don't think i'm superior. I've contributed to this crap for far too long to claim any superiority. It is dumb though.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Instead of all this infighting, we could be working together to smash the patriarchy.

windy

Post by windy »

Aneris wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Aneris wrote:I do recognize that there is apparently a controversy, and thus I do recognize that everyone will bring quotes and authorities that back up their position.
Instead of telling us yet again what "race" isn't, how about identifying some useful grouping or classifications, and propose a PC nomenclature for them?

Unless what you're arguing is: that there are no useful groupings, and no practicable way to draw demarcation lines between anything. In which case, you've been possessed by Damion.
You mean like ethnic groups / ethnicity?
Because sorting people by ethnicity is nice and unproblematic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_Wars

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

cunt wrote:While whispering passages from mein kampf, seig-heiling and caking your lederhosen in jizz.
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldcq5 ... o1_500.jpg

gargamel

Post by gargamel »

Bhurzum wrote:
True!

"leukemia"? Is that what they're calling jizz these days?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

[youtube]H-GP_DXOeHU[/youtube]

cunt

Post by cunt »

I think he calls it white power.

gargamel

Post by gargamel »

cunt wrote:I think he calls it white power.
:clap:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Anyone else having problems refreshing the 'pit, or is it just me? My ISP did an upgrade today, however, the only site that I am having issues with is the 'pit.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

gargamel wrote:"leukemia"? Is that what they're calling jizz these days?
Personally, I like the following terms:

Liquid love
Ball bag broth (best said in a Scottish accent)
DNA soup
"Doctor" Bhurzum's hot 'n' salty throat wash
Pant paste
Gusset glue
White power (Oh Cunt, you crack me up!)

The female equivalent? There's only one term I like:

Angel's fanny batter (Breakfast of champions!)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got lederhosen to wash :lol:

Joseph Porter, KCB

Aneris wrote:
Aneris wrote:
In 2006, it apparently was true enough, provided Lewontin didn't lie about it. Since he appears to be a respected person and not some fringe character, I have some confidence that what he claims is actually supported by evidence.
Well. .. Lewontin (and his buddy Gould) had a track record of putting ideology before science. They certainly didn't mind misrepresenting Wilson in their zeal to attack sociobiology (the predecessor to Evolutionary psychology) for contradicting a Marxist interpretation of biology.

(And while they themselves didn't physically attack Wilson, arguably their rhetoric provided justification for those who did. )

I'm not even saying that Lewontin is intentionally dissembling; he wears very thick ideological goggles and may believe what he says. But he believes what's consistent with his ideology.
Some general ad hominem is not a reason to dismiss the facts (it seems) he reported on in the cited piece. Wilson also favours group selection and Dawkins is vehemently against it, and both had some heated argument over it. I share Dawkins et al views on it, since they make more sense to me. Does it invalidate anything Wilson ever wrote? I don't think so. I didn't find Gould convincing either, based on the few things I know about him (NOMA etc.), yet it does not follow that because Lewontin agreed with Gould one time, and sided with him (also) against Dawkins, Lewontin must be false in this area too (which seems to be his core expertise). You have be so kind and bring some facts, and some explanation why the view I hold is likely not true, addressing the arguments I have brought forward and backed up already fairly well. At least much more than what critics so far have advanced (e.g. steers inappropriate SJW charge, where in reality, the SJWs are the ones who apparently operate with 'white male' etc., i.e. US racism). If you bring some actual evidence that might help me learn more, we might move forward. However, I do not change my views on handwave and association. I like to know and understand what I put forward. I hope that's not too eccentric.

I appreciate your unwillingness to take my word for it. (Not being sarcastic, that's real skepticism.)

But take Dick Lewontin's own words for it. In 1985, he co-authored the book The Dialectical Biologist. In it, he and co-author Levins argue (from the book's description on Amazon):
Scientists act within a social context and from a philosophical perspective that is inherently political.
Whether they realize it or not, scientists always choose sides. The Dialectical Biologist explores this political nature of scientific inquiry, advancing its argument within the framework of Marxist dialectic. These essays stress the concepts of continual change and co-determination between organism and environment, part and whole, structure and process, science and politics. Throughout, this book questions our accepted definitions and biases, showing the self-reflective nature of scientific activity within society.
So, by his own argument, Lewontin is a "scientist" who, as a political actor, takes sides. His scientific inquiry is in the context of (and implicitly subordinated to) his political goals.

Dawkins, in The Ancestors Tale, writes that Lewontin is "known for the strength of his political convictions and his weakness for dragging them into science at every possible opportunity."

John Maynard Smith, in the London Review of Books, wrote (emphasis added):
Their thesis is that their philosophy is a valuable aid in the practice and understanding of biology. It is not only that Marxism helps in analysing the history and sociology of science: if you are a working biologist, they are saying, Marxism will help you to plan and to interpret the results of research. Crudely, Marxism is good for you. They argue that their own work has been helped by their philosophy.
As to Lewontin on racial categories, AW Edwards wrote a paper in 2003, "Human genetic diversity: Lewontin's fallacy" which directly refutes Lewontin's "disproof" of race:
Abstract

In popular articles that play down the genetical differences among human populations, it is often stated that about 85% of the total genetical variation is due to individual differences within populations and only 15% to differences between populations or ethnic groups. It has therefore been proposed that the division of Homo sapiens into these groups is not justified by the genetic data. This conclusion, due to R.C. Lewontin in 1972, is unwarranted because the argument ignores the fact that most of the information that distinguishes populations is hidden in the correlation structure of the data and not simply in the variation of the individual factors. The underlying logic, which was discussed in the early years of the last century, is here discussed using a simple genetical example.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

windy wrote:
Aneris wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Instead of telling us yet again what "race" isn't, how about identifying some useful grouping or classifications, and propose a PC nomenclature for them?

Unless what you're arguing is: that there are no useful groupings, and no practicable way to draw demarcation lines between anything. In which case, you've been possessed by Damion.
You mean like ethnic groups / ethnicity?
Because sorting people by ethnicity is nice and unproblematic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rwandan_Genocide
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yugoslav_Wars
This is beside the point. Any category can be used to discriminate people and act on that discrimmination. You can also go on and kill anyone with an eye color between 475--505 nm. This is unconvincing. It is not that I like some name better, it makes more sense with what can be observed. And grouping populations with a fairly distinct language, culture, and appearance is more convincing (and useful) than 'big races' that do not work due the reason outlined before, and outlined in more detail by Lewontin. Obviously, essentialism is also false if taken to that extreme.

Besides, if 'Big Races' were true, it would be one of the rare (only?) cases where some obsolete scientific idea made a comeback later on. At this point it is more likely that people not used to think differently cling to it (due to your national conventions).

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

another lurker wrote:Anyone else having problems refreshing the 'pit, or is it just me? My ISP did an upgrade today, however, the only site that I am having issues with is the 'pit.
Not just you, dragging on reload on my system(s) Across different browsers and networks.

welch

Post by welch »

To the tune of "You're the Voice", [youtube]HQNxrdlk7-g[/youtube]

You have, a way to spin the forum rounders.
You can post what you wanna post!
You gotta get them pissed before this gets much older

They all think they're smarter,
They all think you're done.
How long will you let them think that,
Before they're getting trolled by Cunt?

You're the troll, they'll soon understand it!
Stir the shit, go nuclear!
TROLLLLOLLLOLOLLLOLOLOLOL
You're never going to have real point,
You don't have to make shit clear,

It's time you know they think they're all that
They think they're the powerful
But they don't know, you're their better

BITCHIN' MANDOLIN SOLO WITH POWER CHORDS!

No, no, no, hey, hey
You're not gonna stick that flouncin',
They'll just have to live in fear,
TROLLLLL-OOOH-OH-WHOA-WHOA

cunt

Post by cunt »

Yeah, something is hitting this shithole like a car ploughing into federal employee.

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
another lurker wrote:
cunt wrote:No surprise you subscribe to an internet meme and call it a "school of thought". Neither of those are happening though, and I don't even know what face-trolling is. I treat people as they treat me. Slightly worse sometimes, because fuck them.
I just imagine your method of trolling involves rolling your face back and forth on the keyboard:) It's a terrible pun, I agree! However, I just can't imagine you being genuinely pissy. Perhaps it's the avatar. Always thinking of 'cocks.' At any rate, I will never look at David Cameron the same, ever again.
I'm not trolling. I genuinely don't like Mykeru and I really hope that divorcee piece of shit gets hit by another car.
Bless your heart.

welch

Post by welch »

Of course you do honey. Of course you do.

welch

Post by welch »

Bhurzum wrote:
True!

Care for some coffee?

Joseph Porter, KCB

another lurker wrote:Anyone else having problems refreshing the 'pit, or is it just me? My ISP did an upgrade today, however, the only site that I am having issues with is the 'pit.
Lsuoma needs to bounce his server.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Not just you, dragging on reload on my system(s) Across different browsers and networks.

I think Cunt's repeated flouncing is screwing things up. No system is designed for that volume and speed of flounce/de-flounce.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I think Cunt's repeated flouncing is screwing things up. No system is designed for that volume and speed of flounce/de-flounce.
I was waiting for someone to make that joke;P

I keep getting 530 errors as well.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

503 i mean.

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

cunt wrote:
And you demonstrate this by making me laugh and pissing everyone off?

http://www.historyplace.com/worldhistor ... ingrad.gif

Tell us more about your tactical genius

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:Yeah, something is hitting this shithole like a car ploughing into federal employee.
See, you almost had a really good Mykeru thing there, but you were too hasty and left off the necessary article. So now someone might not be sure if you're bagging on Mykeru specifically, or just making a bad joke. Pity, because the whole "plough" instead of "plow" added that lurvely brit feel to it. So close, and then a minor error cocks it all up.

I mean, your little "I'll slip his real name into a crack" thing wasn't bad, very smooth actually. But, you get going, and you get careless, and then it's all for naught.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Hah, I was going to the UofO when that happened, I do believe. Don't remember if the ALF (or was it PETA?) were ever caught. Felt bad for the rabbits, poor things should have a sporting chance, but no, out of the frying pan, into the fire. Of course, not a bad deal for the predators involved. Critters gotta eat.
I was as well. Hmmmm, the thought plickens ....

Or summat.

It's a UoFO conspiracy!!1111!!!!

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I thought he was making a bad joke.

welch

Post by welch »

another lurker wrote:I thought he was making a bad joke.
Nah, it was an "inside" poke at Mykeru again. (Since Mykeru's referenced this a few times, it's not exactly outing, I don't think.) Mykeru works for the federal government, and has been hit by a car on his bicycle, rather badly at least once.

But that's the thing with inside jokes. It's really tricky to pull of "inside" without being so subtle that either no one gets it or it's just not funny.

Me, I would have gone with something involving a velocipede, but I like the absurd.

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

I've not long watched a video that has rocked my foundations; I am literally shaking as I write this.

Previously I had pronounced Mykeru as 'Mick-eh-roo'. The entity on the video said 'Mike-eh-roo'.

Which of these, if any, is correct?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

welch

Post by welch »

Tapir wrote:I've not long watched a video that has rocked my foundations; I am literally shaking as I write this.

Previously I had pronounced Mykeru as 'Mick-eh-roo'. The entity on the video said 'Mike-eh-roo'.

Neither. The correct pronunciation is "squortzensportzenfortzten"

The third q is silent.

cunt

Post by cunt »

welch wrote:
Nah, it was an "inside" poke at Mykeru again. (Since Mykeru's referenced this a few times, it's not exactly outing, I don't think.) Mykeru works for the federal government, and has been hit by a car on his bicycle, rather badly at least once.

But that's the thing with inside jokes. It's really tricky to pull of "inside" without being so subtle that either no one gets it or it's just not funny.

Me, I would have gone with something involving a velocipede, but I like the absurd.
If I could do it again. I'd probably say something like "Wow, this place is getting ploughed into harder than a federal employee". Or "fuck me, this place is slower than a federal employee limping onto the central reservation".

Can't do it again though. :(

welch

Post by welch »

cunt wrote:
welch wrote:

If I could do it again. I'd probably say something like "Wow, this place is getting ploughed into harder than a federal employee". Or "fuck me, this place is slower than a federal employee limping onto the central reservation".

Can't do it again though. :(
Neither one really works that well. Not enough people know that he's a fed, (well, NOW they do), and the reservation thing only makes sense if he's an indian.

Really, there's a wealth of good tropes about government employees out there, you should be doing better than this.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote: 2) Yeah, Mykeru doesn't have much beyond insults, but you just have to admit that he comes up with the most beautifully imagined and written insults. Sorry, Welch, but he's taken over as my favorite insulter.
You're a dick head

Apples

Post by Apples »

Aneris wrote:The american way of dealing with race simply does not, and it cannot be expected that I change my views by mere handwave since I'm living in a country with a very dark racist history and where I, currently, see no benefit in categorizing humans that way. It's not done here and I don't see what's missing. I can refer to someone by origin, by culture or both combined (ethnicity) or nationality and see absolutely no need to (re) introduce some dubious racial concept.
If you want to understand why America is so race-conscious you have to understand how things evolved after the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Even though the plain language of Title VII prohibited race preferences of any kind or discrimination against any individual, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Education, and to a lesser extent the Supreme Court have created a situation where, perversely, "color" and "race" are a matter of constant and almost obsessive information collection, classification, and litigation.

Even to the extent that the citizenry wants to be color-blind (and SJWs most certainly don't), it's not really safe or prudent to do so if you want to stay out of court (or maximize your chances of getting into a selective college). Look up "disparate impact" on "protected classes." Race-consciousness and classification is enforced from the top down, with the enthusiastic consent of the SJL. Compare to France, for example, where, I understand, the state is prohibited from even collecting data on ethnicity or race.

Some relevant links, the last two from conservative sources, the latter from a conservative Christian (but he is incisive on this subject):

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/14/us/14 ... d=all&_r=0
http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/race-color.html
http://www.archives.gov/education/lesso ... ights-act/
http://www.claremont.org/publications/p ... detail.asp
http://www.amnation.com/vfr/archives/003436.html

cunt

Post by cunt »

welch wrote: Neither one really works that well. Not enough people know that he's a fed, (well, NOW they do), and the reservation thing only makes sense if he's an indian.

Really, there's a wealth of good tropes about government employees out there, you should be doing better than this.
It'd be easier if he did something instantly recognisable, or useful. I think he makes powerpoints for some agency when he's not getting divorced and/or hit by cars. But whatever I agree it was lazy.

Don't you guys call the bit between the lanes the central reservation?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tapir wrote:I've not long watched a video that has rocked my foundations; I am literally shaking as I write this.

I had a GF who tacked "a-roo" on the end of everything as a term of endearment. So the dog Rusty was "Rust-a-roo". I was "Mike-a-roo" I took Japanese at university because, masochism, and the literal transliteration of "Michael" in Japanese katakana is "Ma-i-ke-ru". You jam that all together and you get "Mike-ah-roo"

I only relate that because I know Cunt is reading this, and he really cares.

cunt

Post by cunt »

I didn't even have to click "show-post" either.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Apples wrote:PZ just squeezed out a 900+ word post (including copypasta) telling us to be skeptical about the PNAS men and women's brains study because you have to be cautious about fMRI experiments -- even though, as commenter Enkidum observes, it wasn't an fMRI study, it was a Diffusion Tensor Imaging study. Both techniques require MRI machines, but AFAICT almost nothing PZ says applies to the data in the paper.

I'm not trying to defend the study (I haven't even tried to read it, just what others are saying about it), but the most plausible dig on the methodology I've seen is that they apparently didn't address possible sex-differences in how much subjects move in MRI machines (apparently men move more), though it's not clear to me that this would necessarily account for the study's particular findings. And I'd say there's plenty of room for argument about the magnitude of the differences and their possible implications. But PZ just aims for the side of the barn and flat-out misses. Seems to me he can't possibly have even glanced at the paper or read the Wired article to which he links.

What impresses me about PZ is how often, and shamelessly, he gets things wrong due to his unholy combination of laziness, aggressiveness, sloppiness, and relentless ideological axe-grinding.

Just refreshed comments - ChasCPeterson calls out PZ - "That kind of makes the entire OP a giant 'oops!,' suggesting that its author is opining about a study with which he lacks even cursory familiarity."

PZ's reply? "DTI is an MRI technique. Same issues of resolution & interpretation of function from indirect measures."

Nope - it's an MRI technique but significantly different from fMRI and isn't about "interpretation of function" - it's about tracing diffusion of water molecules to discern axonal alignment. PZ is just one of those remarkable pigheaded types whose fragile egos prevent them from admitting even relatively small mistakes.
Gotta love how PZ doubles down when he's wrong. Not. Yeah, all MRI techniques are the same and subject to the same problems with technique, modeling, interpretation, etc. That's why radiologists bother with all that FLAIR sequence and gadolinium contrast shit - it's all the same but they can make more money and publish more papers if they pretend that the techniques have different functions and strengths. Nothing to do with visualizing tumors or different pathologies or white matter tract mapping or anything like that. Nope, just pretend that fMRI and diffusion tensor imaging are exactly the same and that way you don't have to admit you're wrong and know nothing about the subject, really.

Anyway, here's a link to the PNAS paper in question:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24297904

And here's a link to a decent review article on DTI and diffusion-weighted MRI that provides an analysis of what can and can't be determined using these methods:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22846632

Happy to send anyone the pdfs if you don't have access to the papers.

Bhurzum

Post by Bhurzum »

Mykeru wrote: I only relate that because I know Cunt is reading this, and he really cares.
Until he flounces.

Again.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/65/Eof_4.jpg

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

welch wrote:
cunt wrote:Yeah, something is hitting this shithole like a car ploughing into federal employee.
See, you almost had a really good Mykeru thing there, but you were too hasty and left off the necessary article. So now someone might not be sure if you're bagging on Mykeru specifically, or just making a bad joke. Pity, because the whole "plough" instead of "plow" added that lurvely brit feel to it. So close, and then a minor error cocks it all up.

I mean, your little "I'll slip his real name into a crack" thing wasn't bad, very smooth actually. But, you get going, and you get careless, and then it's all for naught.
I know, he was really on to something there. He had total victory in his sights, and then this:

[youtube]yGcTCJxnQuI[/youtube]

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

cunt wrote:I didn't even have to click "show-post" either.
I do with your posts. It's like tugging an incoherent little fortune cookie note from an ass crack.