Old subthreads
Tribble

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Tribble »

Jan Steen wrote:
To which Peezus replies:
622 PZ Myers

16 August 2013 at 10:33 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment

Shermer’s lawyers were wrong. A lot of things in that letter were completely nonsensical.

I got the information from my source directly.
She may have emailed him directly. It still seems fairly evident that Carrie Poppy established the contact and that 'Jane Doe' is not someone who was already a trusted friend of Peezus, as has been suggested by The Horde.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-671294
I'm sure his lawyer said something like: Hey Paul, keep digging!!! I will say this, if he got the information directly, it's still hearsay AND the way he initially wrote his blog post it really came off as hearsay of hearsay.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Mykeru wrote:
JackRayner wrote: So, blacking out doesn't necessarily mean that person was trashed, incapacitated, or whatever else people may assert.
The problem is that people, stupid people, perhaps even stupid drunk people, confuse "black out drunk" with being "passed out drunk".

Why? Because they are stupid people who like to make stupid analogies like "If you had sex when she was blacked out (ie. passed out) it was rape". Because nothing make for a good argument like conflating two terms and generally not knowing what the fuck you are talking about.

And making poor analogies. And thinking a tampon applicator is corporate mass-produced rape.

"Blacked Out" drunk isn't something that happens to a person when they are drunk. It's what happens after they are drunk, but so drunk that none of that happy bozo fun time got dumped into long-term memories and they have to ask their friends the next morning why they have a wooden spoon in their urethra. Most people, except for blithe alkies, are disturbed by having a blackout, even if they don't wake up covered in blood with a knife and a doll's head of uncertain origin. If you are a worrying sort, you make think worst case scenario and if you are a woman who had to get really drunk to get your freak on, now you think you might be pregnant, and, well, if that's the case, might as well attribute it to being raped. Especially if you have caring, socially conscious asshole friends.

A person who is destined to be "blackout drunk" the next morning may not act overtly intoxicated, that is to say, completely shit-faced, unless you are staring straight into the function of their limbic system. And if you think you are doing that, you are not drunk. You're stoned.
I had one - drank so much I lost about 12 hours, lost my phone, drove home, and also ended up at another house - I realized where I was before I went in and then drove home from there also. Who knows what could have happened, or what I could have done (I was armed at the time). Fucking stupid, and a shock, and I pretty much quit drinking at that. I was incredibly lucky and use it as a warning tale to others.

Kareem

Post by Kareem »

Ape+lust wrote:Whoo. Sasha Pixlee, who wrote how DJ Grothe triggered all his triggers, has internalized the Good Ally dictum about taking your lumps when an Oppressed Person craps on your head.

http://i.imgur.com/lliM6dy.png

Yes ma'am, may I have another?
http://i.imgur.com/1qwNPeo.png

http://i.imgur.com/LcIGqS7.png

http://i.imgur.com/7P1Dlqb.png
I have no idea who is crazier in those exchanges. Although I have nothing against any group that wants to do their own thing and solve their own problems, I do have a problem when they want the same people they shun to join them. It's like they can't decide whether they want to go the Martin Luther King route or the Malcolm X route so they mix them all together and hope no one will notice. I guess that's why I have less problem with the RadFems who push lesbianism and want nothing to do with men than the happy-go-lucky feminist who think all men are potential rapists but want men to be feminists.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Random Lurker wrote:Is there a specific term for someone who views every single event/interaction/dynamic through the same lens, even when it's something totally unrelated?
real horrorshow wrote:Monomania or Idée fixe might describe it.
Jan Steen wrote:Compulsion neurosis.
Gumby wrote:Tunnel vision works for me.
I haven't had a chance to look at DSM V yet, but in IV the syndrome falls under "Whack Jobs".

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

This friendship between PETA activist Carrie Poppy and Peezus is really strange. A few years ago, Peezus wrote this in a post titled "Terrorists of the animal rights movement":
Think about this: you have a baby daughter who needs precise surgeries done on the tiny, delicate muscles of her eyes. Do you want her to be the very first practice surgery the doctor has ever done, or would you rather, perhaps, that the doctor had done his practice surgeries on animals first? Early in my career, I worked as an animal care assistant in a department of surgery, and that’s what most of the animals were used for: teaching medical students the basics of their craft, running students through simple procedures that made them learn how to handle tissues, how to cope with bleeding, how to repair damage, all stuff that you cannot do except on living organisms.
Who do we find in the comments section? Carrie Poppy. She wrote:
Carrie Poppy
February 24, 2010

I would also prefer that a procedure be tested on your daughter before mine.

But does that make it right?
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... mal-right/

Hmmmm. If I were in Peezus' place, I would not blindly trust anything a potential enemy relayed to me.

Post by Guest »

Mykeru wrote:
JackRayner wrote: So, blacking out doesn't necessarily mean that person was trashed, incapacitated, or whatever else people may assert.
The problem is that people, stupid people, perhaps even stupid drunk people, confuse "black out drunk" with being "passed out drunk".
It happened to me once few years ago. I did not even drank so much but I have several minutes (or dozen of minutes) of my life I can't remember although I was still functional (well I was drunk). I can really imagine people having that thinking they drinks were spiked, and if they had sex, that it was rape.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Kareem wrote:
Aneris wrote:Victim Blaming is also trivializing of rape etc. Here is a working Purity Ball link.

Warning: excessive creep level

[youtube]xt4xqZdsGo0[/youtube]
So... everyone else who watched this saw a bunch of guys who want to bang their daughters, right? It's not just me?
Yes, it's not just you.

Matt Cavanaugh

Re: AW: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Verklagekasper wrote:
dog puke wrote: Are you sure he's a toady? Sounds more like a lickspittle to me, but each to their own. :whistle:
Dang , Google translator came up with that :-/

Toady is accurate, if a bit out of fashion. How does google translate Arschkriecher?

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Tony Parsehole wrote: And this drawing which I assume is supposed to be him:
http://0.gravatar.com/avatar/cbebc6f7db ... =blank&r=R
When In fact he looks like this:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L33F ... /photo.jpg

His pen must have ran out before he got to the other 6 chins.
Nah, the drawing shows him when the ambient temperature is cool, so that the yeast remains inactive.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Verklagekasper wrote:
dog puke wrote: Are you sure he's a toady? Sounds more like a lickspittle to me, but each to their own. :whistle:

Toady is accurate, if a bit out of fashion. How does google translate Arschkriecher?
Ass-kisser.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Badger3k wrote:
I had one - drank so much I lost about 12 hours, lost my phone, drove home, and also ended up at another house - I realized where I was before I went in and then drove home from there also. Who knows what could have happened, or what I could have done (I was armed at the time). Fucking stupid, and a shock, and I pretty much quit drinking at that. I was incredibly lucky and use it as a warning tale to others.
Wait... "and also ended up at another house - I realized where I was before I went in and then drove home from there also". And you remember this as a fragment in an otherwise perfectly good black out?

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

It just occurred to me, if not for the whole "I hates teh gays" thing, Card could be the Social Justice Warriors favorite author. Look at Ender's game:

Poor, bullied victim Ender Wiggins rises up to become the savior of Humanity...by committing genocide. All the while managing to kill a few of the people who bullied him along the way. It's like it could have been written by the A+ forum.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tribble wrote:
Kareem wrote:
Aneris wrote:Victim Blaming is also trivializing of rape etc. Here is a working Purity Ball link.

So... everyone else who watched this saw a bunch of guys who want to bang their daughters, right? It's not just me?
Yes, it's not just you.
Can I get a time code on when the jumping begins?

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Mykeru wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
Wait... "and also ended up at another house - I realized where I was before I went in and then drove home from there also". And you remember this as a fragment in an otherwise perfectly good black out?
Ah, what me and my colleagues like to call a "brownout".

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Mykeru wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
Yeah - so I guess it wasn't total. I remember getting out of my vehicle and pulling my handgun out from under the seat, and some guy asked if I was going to shoot him. At that point I realized I had no idea where I was, got back in my vehicle and drove off. I recognized the area and made it home, but have no memory of actually getting home. Next memory is waking up in the bathroom.

Yeah, ruined a perfectly good blackout, but it makes an interesting addition, I think (also pretty scary to realize I had no idea who that guy was or why I was there. I came too in the drivers seat, so I know I drove there).

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I've only ever been close to passing out once. The weird thing is, I hadn't had much to drink - I just, suddenly, felt inexplicably tired. Probably the most tired I have ever felt in my life. I just wanted to do nothing more than close my eyes. I was at a club, and kind of leaned back, closing eyes, next to a complete stranger. The guy was like 'no no no ma'm, don't do that, stay awake!!"

Suffice to say, once I got outside, and was in the fresh air, I felt ok. Also, clearly, not all men are rapists who will take advantage of a girl who is about to pass out :P

And I have had people do the thing where they constantly refill your glass. And it was uh, easy to stop drinking! In fact, the time that happened, I had chosen to mix Dorritos with the Black Russians and....ended up very very sick.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Badger3k wrote: I came too, in the drivers seat, so I know I drove there).
Amazing what a difference one extra comma can make.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Eskarina wrote:
How does google translate Arschkriecher?
Ass-kisser.
It's actually "--creeper". Much more evocative.

dinkum

Post by dinkum »

Angry_Drunk wrote:It just occurred to me, if not for the whole "I hates teh gays" thing, Card could be the Social Justice Warriors favorite author. Look at Ender's game:

Poor, bullied victim Ender Wiggins rises up to become the savior of Humanity...by committing genocide. All the while managing to kill a few of the people who bullied him along the way. It's like it could have been written by the A+ forum.

No, see, Ender was bred for that purpose, see, and he was intentionally conditioned for ruthless self-reliance and so the poor fuckers he killed were just expendable, see, and...

Oh.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Towards the end of my drinking career, I probably blacked out close to a hundred times. I finally wised the fuck up and it's been over nine years since I've had a drink.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
There's a comma? Oh...I thought he was over-sharing.

didymos

Post by didymos »

From the makers of Sociological Racism....

halophilic

Post by halophilic »

When there's no discernible way to tell the difference between 'got drunk had sex then regretted it' and 'was raped' you might need a more nuanced definition of rape than 'drunk sex is rape.'

I can't recall a time between starting drinking and being completely unconscious where I was able to be convinced to do something I didn't *want* to do. I definitely made bad decisions but is not giving as much of a shit about the consequences truly coercion? I get how it could be if someone uses your state to deceive you into doing something you didn't think you were doing, but I'm not sure that's what's going on with most drunk sex.

Has anyone been in a state where they wanted to say no but were compelled to say yes? (not just to sex, but to anything) I'm trying to wrap my head around the common "inability to give consent" phrase that's tossed around.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Watson wrote: People are often chiding me for making fun of my “haters” as semi-literate degenerates who harass me because they hate women and want to be free to insult, molest, and rape them as they please. I’m told that I’m wrong, and that these people are actually unbiased and egalitarian critics with valid complaints that I need to address seriously. With that in mind, let’s get to know Cecil Fuson, a critic who has risen to prominence via his highly successful anti-me Facebook page, possibly inspired by the “Fire Rebecca from the SGU” petition he signed a few months ago.
With that in mind, let's shift our focus to an ad-hom. Right Rebecca? We couldn't have you focusing on the merit of the claims themselves. That would be indecent.
Watson wrote: A few days after I Tweeted the link to the Facebook page, I received an email from someone who explained that they had discovered that Cecil Fuson is a registered sex offender who was convicted and went to prison for “indecent liberties with a child.”
What a shocker.

RW'S to-do list:
- Find one critic with an apparent scandalous criminal history
- Implicitly associate criticism with scandalous criminal activity
- Send 'thank you' flowers to David Miscavige for the strategic thinking tips

http://skepchick.org/2013/08/getting-to ... -offender/

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

Doesn't Rebecca Watson say that if you're drunk, never mind blacking out, but if you are drunk, it doesn't matter whether you think you've given consent or not, that is still rape.

[tweet][/tweet]

didymos

Post by didymos »

And yes, I know it's a Poe.

yomomma

Post by yomomma »

WTF? I did what the patriarch told me to do. Once again, I bring shame upon my dojo.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Gumby wrote:
Actually, comma fuckery isn't even needed. "came too" would be synonymous with "also ejaculated". The phrasing Badger was looking for is "came to".

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

halophilic wrote: Has anyone been in a state where they wanted to say no but were compelled to say yes? (not just to sex, but to anything) I'm trying to wrap my head around the common "inability to give consent" phrase that's tossed around.
Might just be me, but I notice a marked difficulty in getting a drunk person to do anything they don't want to do.

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Why did I say "implicit"? Way too generous. The association is pretty damn explicit.

Angry_Drunk

Post by Angry_Drunk »

Mykeru wrote:
halophilic wrote: Has anyone been in a state where they wanted to say no but were compelled to say yes? (not just to sex, but to anything) I'm trying to wrap my head around the common "inability to give consent" phrase that's tossed around.
Might just be me, but I notice a marked difficulty in getting a drunk person to do anything they don't want to do.
When I'm "black out drunk" it's a fucking miracle to get me to get up from the barroom floor.

JackRayner
Location: In the basement of the University of Minnesota Morris

Post by JackRayner »

Mykeru wrote:
Most people, except for blithe alkies, are disturbed by having a blackout, even if they don't wake up covered in blood with a knife and a doll's head of uncertain origin.
True.

My last blackout happened while I was out bar hopping with a friend I hadn't seen in a while. After a few hours we hit up a pizza joint before bailing. My last memory before waking up in my car the next morning was of me sitting down and stuffing my face with pizza. I called him to ask him if I acted a fool or did anything crazy, but he seemed more confused than I was. "No dude. You were fine. We walked to our cars, you told me you were going to sleep some if it off before driving home, and that was it."

Actually, that's usually the case when I black out (from what I hear, anyhow. My friends could all be deceiving me and hiding bodies for me). I seem to be on better behavior/closer to sober than when I can remember (which is why I assume I've done terrible, terrible things when I wake up and can't remember shit the next morning).

As far as sexual consent is concerned, I argue that blacking out doesn't mean we've lost our agency, it just means our brain's ability to retain short term memory was impaired. Like, if a woman had consensual sex Friday of last week, and then today her memory is erased...does it mean she didn't consent? My answer to that would be no. I treat blacking out [that doesn't involve incapacitation/unconsciousness] the same way...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Tribble wrote:
Kareem wrote:

Yes, it's not just you.
Y'all know this is hard-core porn for Jesse Powell?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

curriejean wrote:
Watson wrote: A few days after I Tweeted the link to the Facebook page, I received an email from someone who explained that they had discovered that Cecil Fuson is a registered sex offender who was convicted and went to prison for “indecent liberties with a child.”
"I received an email from someone..."

Well, it was good enough for P.Z. Is this going to be their next tactic, claiming "they got email"?

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

didymos wrote:From the makers of Sociological Racism....
Phew, that's a relief!

Anyone for a top-up?!

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

I think I'm going to start using a term I heard Seth Andrews say on his podcast:

*WEAPONS GRADE FACEPALM*

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Mykeru wrote:
curriejean wrote:

Well, it was good enough for P.Z. Is this going to be their next tactic, claiming "they got email"?
To be fair, not that it's deserved, she does go on about her independent verifications. And then ... full stop. I've shown my critic is a sex offender. There is nothing else to say. Except for a boast about knowingly sharing the information against his wishes.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Mykeru wrote:
curriejean wrote:

Is it my eyes, or does your avatar move periodically?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

curriejean wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
curriejean wrote:

To be fair, not that it's deserved, she does go on about her independent verifications. And then ... full stop. I've shown my critic is a sex offender. There is nothing else to say. Except for a boast about knowingly sharing the information against his wishes.
And reading the whole thing, she clearly plays the guilt by association game by not so subtly lumping the sex offender in with all her other critics. Same game, different day.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Kareem wrote: So... everyone else who watched this saw a bunch of guys who want to bang their daughters, right? It's not just me?
Yes, it's not just you.
Y'all know this is hard-core porn for Jesse Powell?
I wonder how frustrating it must have been for out TWRA visitors. They come to a forum that's got a reputation for ridiculing the excesses of ideology from the likes of Skepchick/A+/FTB and they discover that we thought the TWRAs were just as batshit as anything coming from the A+Theism crowd. Must have been quite the disappointment...

And as for that purity ball shit, that's just creepy as fuck.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Angry_Drunk wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Actually, comma fuckery isn't even needed. "came too" would be synonymous with "also ejaculated". The phrasing Badger was looking for is "came to".
The improper "too" is what drew my attention to the unintended gag in the first place. I just added the comma to make it stand out more.

16bitheretic

Post by 16bitheretic »

Ape+lust wrote:Whoo. Sasha Pixlee, who wrote how DJ Grothe triggered all his triggers, has internalized the Good Ally dictum about taking your lumps when an Oppressed Person craps on your head.

http://i.imgur.com/lliM6dy.png

http://i.imgur.com/1qwNPeo.png

http://i.imgur.com/LcIGqS7.png

http://i.imgur.com/7P1Dlqb.png
Wow, what a bunch of cunts. Part of the idea behind striving for equality for women on non-caucasian ethnicities is that we become allies of people different from us, not that we turn around and act like a bunch of god-damned ragey twats in return. Jesus H. Christ, I swear, if I ever use the term "check your privilege" in a fashion that's not joking or mocking, but totally serious, then please kill me. it's fine to call out racists, I do it myself, but this guy was totally supportive and the condescension and venom spewed at him was entirely uncalled for.

didymos

Post by didymos »

LOL.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

16bitheretic wrote: Wow, what a bunch of cunts. Part of the idea behind striving for equality for women on non-caucasian ethnicities is that we become allies of people different from us, not that we turn around and act like a bunch of god-damned ragey twats in return. Jesus H. Christ, I swear, if I ever use the term "check your privilege" in a fashion that's not joking or mocking, but totally serious, then please kill me. it's fine to call out racists, I do it myself, but this guy was totally supportive and the condescension and venom spewed at him was entirely uncalled for.
They read what he wrote and automatically translated it into "I wanted to let you people know that prejudice against your kind really sucks."

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Yay! Open Season!

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

real horrorshow wrote:
Ä uest wrote: To be fair to Sasha, I've always been amazed at the enormous difference between people's online, pseudo-representational avatars and their actual appearance.

Some of that may be my own issues, disliking my looks, and how I've grown older, and my various inabilities or dislike of lying, or even reasonable self-promotion, but I just wonder what goes through people's minds when they make they overly cutesy very distorted pictures of themselves, especially ones that shave off years or chins.

I wonder if some soc, or anthro student has written a paper or two on it.

Of the various online behaviors I don't understand, I personally find these highly distortive avatars among the most offputting.
One of the strangest I've seen is Rod Liddle (a writer for the Tory arse-rag The Spectator). As recently as last year his byline showed him like this:
http://i.imgur.com/5IR16gn.jpg
(The Spectator wisely uses highly sympathetic 'caricatures' for it's gallery of freaks these days.)

When, in fact he looks like this:
http://i.imgur.com/Lc47d6b.jpg

Oops, I mean this:
http://i.imgur.com/vEAlHRT.jpg
(The previous picture was from before he went into make-up)
I, on the other hand, really am a homicidal orange in a bowler hat.
Your post here and Matt's Indian law support both made me literally LOL today. I love the pit. :lol:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

16bitheretic wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Y'all know this is hard-core porn for Jesse Powell?
I wonder how frustrating it must have been for out TWRA visitors. They come to a forum that's got a reputation for ridiculing the excesses of ideology from the likes of Skepchick/A+/FTB and they discover that we thought the TWRAs were just as batshit as anything coming from the A+Theism crowd. Must have been quite the disappointment...

I know I sinned in my heart watching that.

real horrorshow

didymos wrote:And yes, I know it's a Poe.
Damn you didymos! I was all set to get my rape on!

Kevin Solway

Post by Kevin Solway »

real horrorshow wrote:Shermer has been repeatedly dismissed by the Baboon Whored not just as 'collateral' but as 'insignificant'.
Shermer is an "unbeliever" and therefore is not truly human. Justice is only for humans.

I'm convinced that's what they think, since actions speak louder than words.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:Your post here and Matt's Indian law support both made me literally LOL today. I love the pit. :lol:
Back atcha, dude. I love you, bro.

VickyCaramel

Post by VickyCaramel »

real horrorshow wrote:
Sulman wrote:For God's sake man, have some backbone.

It is utterly awful to see someone willingly subjugate themselves to clear and obvious bullying.
From which we learn that Sasha Pixlee is a cunt - [snip]
There are worms on Fetlife who would shower a Black Dominatrix with hundreds of dollars for a fraction of that attention.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
16bitheretic wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Y'all know this is hard-core porn for Jesse Powell?

I know I sinned in my heart watching that.
I still get a laugh out of Jesse's immense logic fail.

"Real Men" keep their women barefoot and pregnant. This is what evolution dictates. Evolution also dictates that "real women" will choose a "real man" to keep them barefoot and pregnant. Unless of course that real man happens to be a manly man like the Rock...in which case, 'real men' such as Jesse need the force of government to keep women in monogamous relationships with 'real men' like himself, instead of in harems with 'manly men' such as The Rock. Because, you know, that's what is FAIR. Yes, FAIR FOR JESSE. Because that's all that matters here - that losers like Jesse get their purity balls and their subservient women, and all of society should kowtow to that need. Who the fuck cares what gay people want? Or women, nah, fuck 'em. It's all about Jesse and his fantasies.

It's funny how similar Jesse's 'what is good for me is good for everyone' scthick can also apply to the SJW's.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Found this 2010 interview of Peezus with Carrie Snider/Poppy. Some saliant fragments.
Biology professor PZ Myers just might be the face of secular activism online. His wildly popular blog, Pharyngula (named after his favorite stage of the vertebrate embryo), is much more than an information hub for biology fans; it is an up-to-the-minute newsfeed of all the information a secularist could want.
(Whatever he is, Peezus is no longer the face of secular activism online today. More like the face of radfem character assassination.)
CP: And your blog doesn't get you in trouble with administration either?
PZ: The blog is mine, done on my own time. The administration has nothing to do with it.
CP: Right, but they don’t get pissy about it?
PZ: I know it sometimes makes them uncomfortable, but doing anything about it would cross a line that would get them in big trouble with the faculty. Academic freedom is taken quite seriously.
(Accusing people of being rapists falls under academic freedom now?)
CP: So, switching gears, you write often on the imbalance between men and women represented in the scientific and atheist communities.
PZ: Yeah. Annoying, isn't it?
CP: It is. And even the problem seems to be invisible; not just the women. Where do you think that imbalance stems from? How do we begin to combat it?
PZ: Well, it comes from social biases, of course. We take for granted that women will have role X, and men role Y, and women who do Y are invisible.
CP: You would expect the atheist community to be above that sort of social/religious proscription.
PZ: We have to consciously work against it. This business of atheist conferences always inviting the same old guys, for instance -- we just need to hammer away at organizers, telling them to invite more women, until people become aware that hey, women are atheists, too!
(The same old guys... Like PZ Myers?)
CP: Right. you posted that poll on atheist women of 2009, and several commenters said "I have never heard of these people."
PZ: I think the atheist community is better about it -- at least we don't sit around trying to justify excluding women. But we do take them for granted, and that's what perpetuates an unconscious bias.
CP: I noticed a lot fewer people attending the women's lectures at the AAI Convention as well
PZ: That's the unconscious bias again. People want a show at the conferences, and they know the noisy male peacocks will make a lot of noise. What they don't know is that the peahens in our community are pretty damned flamboyant, too.
CP: Oo, touche.
PZ: Really -- Marcotte and Benson and Christina would make an even louder noise than Dawkins, who when you get right down to it, is very softspoken.
CP: Yes. He is one of the most humble and reserved people I have ever met, on a personal basis anyway. Speaking of Dawkins, does he ever text you? And if so, does he ever say "LOL"? The world wants to know.
PZ: We chat a bit on the intertubes, sure. No, he doesn't LOL of l33tspeak.
CP: Too bad. You should get him into it.
PZ: Nah, not his metier.
(The atheist community is better at it? Not what your blue-haired friend wants us to believe.)
CP: All right. If you could get everyone to read one book in 2010, which would you choose?
PZ: Mine. Oh, I'm so glad you gave me an easy one.
CP: LOL (tell Richard Dawkins I said that)
PZ: OK. But until my book comes out, everyone can read Dawkins Greatest Show on Earth, or Shubin's Your Inner Fish, or Coyne's Why Evolution is True".
(His anthology of blog posts would appear three years later and is not remotely in the same league as the books mentioned.)
CP: When you die, if your soul does survive, and you come face to face with God, completely aware that you have spent your entire life being wrong and steering people away from Him… what will you wear?
PZ: Wear? Do ectoplasmic entities need clothes?
CP: You're the scientist here.
PZ: I wouldn't be worrying about what to wear. God should be worrying, because I'm going to call him to task and ask him what right he has to bring us to judgment. I may also criticise HIS fashion sense if he's wearing that boring robes-and-sandals get up.
CP: So, shorts and a Hawai'ian tee?
PZ: Nah. Naked. The better to piss on his shoes. Besides, if heaven is really paradisial, I want to be ready for the wild sex.
(Let's hope alcohol is prohibited in heaven.)

http://www.examiner.com/article/biology ... h-pz-myers

Post by Guest »

didymos wrote:
didymos wrote:
All the twitter account here, except RW and Sahsha Pixlee, exist only since the 13 of August, most have stopped the 14 and all have twitted only about #solidarityisforwhitewomen. I call a fake.

real horrorshow

katamari Damassi wrote:Your post here and Matt's Indian law support both made me literally LOL today. I love the pit. :lol:
And all we ask in return is your immortal soul.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Gumby wrote:
curriejean wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
curriejean wrote:

And reading the whole thing, she clearly plays the guilt by association game by not so subtly lumping the sex offender in with all her other critics. Same game, different day.
And, who do you think would repost the whole thing, thereby continuing the guilt by association?

I'll give you three guesses, but if the initials aren't P and Z, then you picked the wrong white knight. I expect Stefunny and Toiletbowl to get in on the act as well. I wonder when they'll connect this guy with Krauss and Shermer, and us here. I mean, in direct, overt fashion. Toiletbowl is probably the most clueless since he still refers to Shermer as a well-evidenced rapist, so my money's on him.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

16bitheretic wrote:
What do you have against the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency?

curriejean

Post by curriejean »

Jan Steen wrote:Found this 2010 interview of Peezus with Carrie Snider/Poppy. Some saliant fragments.
PZ: We take for granted that women will have role X, and men role Y, and women who do Y are invisible.
If X is "radical feminist" and Y is "rational skeptic," this is a somewhat accurate description of the PZ crew's biases.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

As long as we're sharing drinking stories, here's the greatest bender story from all time, courtesy of David Cross. Long, but worth it.

[youtube]9owbHSt7GhY[/youtube]

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

Verklagekasper wrote:
They're all just poltoons to me.