Bleeding from the Bunghole

Old subthreads
Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Re: Bleeding from the Bunghole

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Reminds me of the difference in pronunciation between "live" (as in concert, news feed...) and "live" (like in Live and Let Die). Headscratcher, that one...

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

piginthecity wrote:... and what biscuits are you eating ?
Yes, I also need to know if it's nice to eat Nice in Nice. I can then die happy.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

As we're talking dictionaries and such, the word 'nice', used to mean 'vaguely pleasent' as in 'nice guy' is a modern, rather crappy usage. The original usage is more like 'neat' as in 'nicely done'. Or as Guttmann says in the Maltese Falcon "Mr. Cairo is a man of nice judgement". It used to be a better word.

P.S. Does anybody think that "Six FuckYous from Russell Glasser" would make a good sig or would it make me sound a bit like I cannot let it go ?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

JackSkeptic wrote:
piginthecity wrote:... and what biscuits are you eating ?
Yes, I also need to know if it's nice to eat Nice in Nice. I can then die happy.
RHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! I'm having BEER!!! Fucking down to honest BEER! I don't eat biscuits, sugar is bad.

(spot the irony in 3, 2, 1...)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

piginthecity wrote:
P.S. Does anybody think that "Six FuckYous from Russell Glasser" would make a good sig or would it make me sound a bit like I cannot let it go ?
Since that's not the Critical G's name, I'd say it's irrelevant.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

It wasn't Critical G who sent me the six FuckYous. It was Russell Glasser. It wasn't to do with this blog post, it was a few months ago, just after Shermergate.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Ok, no idea who R. Glasser is.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ok, no idea who R. Glasser is.
He's a host on the Atheist Experience who I have seen promote the silly Kafka style Trap of 'Feminism means women are people too' which of course suggests the false equivalence that not self declaring as being feminist or attacking their beliefs in any way means you do not consider women people. It's the same trick AronRa tries but it is false as it assumes one is the equivalent of the other and mutually exclusive of other beliefs, where actually one is a subset of the other, which is not the same. When I heard Glasser say this I lost a lot of respect for him as he either thought his audience were stupid enough to fall for it or he actually believed it himself. I feel AronRa has little choice in the matter and would rather never discuss Feminism again if he can get away with it.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

JackSkeptic wrote:
He's a host on the Atheist Experience who I have seen promote the silly Kafka style Trap of 'Feminism means women are people too' which of course suggests the false equivalence that not self declaring as being feminist or attacking their beliefs in any way means you do not consider women people. It's the same trick AronRa tries but it is false as it assumes one is the equivalent of the other and mutually exclusive of other beliefs, where actually one is a subset of the other, which is not the same. When I heard Glasser say this I lost a lot of respect for him as he either thought his audience were stupid enough to fall for it or he actually believed it himself. I feel AronRa has little choice in the matter and would rather never discuss Feminism again if he can get away with it.
Okay I admit I'm biased because of the six FuckYous but the notable thing about Russell to me is that he's part of a show which prides itself on challenging people's cherished beliefs and holding them accountable to reason, joining in with gusto, but whenever his own beliefs are in any way challenged, or he feels his friends are being disagreed with then he reacts with hysteria and defensiveness (albeit with something of a paste-and-stick, going through the motions feel to it).

The impression I get is that he's an enthusiastic careerist Social Justice Warrior, but the deal is that he's on the leash when he's on the AE show and he's not allowed to mention it on air, however he's given free reign to reply to the EMails coming to the AE inbox however he likes, his favoured MO being 'pharangula comment section' style.

This leaves a rather strange quandery for the Austin Community. Their TV show is outreach to sensible people all over the planet, but should anyone sensible send an email expecting a reply in the same vein as the show which they've enjoyed, they are likely to be left scratching their head over some outpouring worthy of Nerd of Redhead.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

He's a smarmy asshole on The Atheist Experience who, like many of them, seems to have adhered to atheism in a desperate search for a venue in which he can smugly act superior to people, even if he has to punch down on the dumbest fundy callers ever cherry-picked from the bottom of the Texas barrel. Also, like many of them, he's a blog comment bully, provided the playing field is so tilted that anyone who can show him up gets rolled off into the ether.

Also, when I become God-Emperor of the planet, he's on the short list to be locked into a cargo container and dropped into the Marianas Trench.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Karmakin wrote:

I personally believe that women are much more sexually charged than the tropes in our society would have us to believe. Is this a misogynistic belief? Some people would say yes, some people would say no. It all comes down to if you think that belief is negative or positive (I believe the latter, of course).

That's where I think a lot of the conflict comes from. The people here, for the most part treat women like they'd treat anybody else. They get no additional deference or protection. To some people that's misogynistic, to others, it's the exact opposite.
Of course they are sexually charged beyond what society pretends. One of the issues with second-wave feminism was allowing women to be as sexual as they desired without being slut shamed or 'ruined.' That's so well understood even Wikiepedia can get it (mostly) right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_revolution

Of course they blamed men for slut-shaming and controlling sex when it's mostly a woman thing. But women fighting for the right to give their vaginas a damn good workout as often as they felt like it was a core thing in the secondwave. Hell, I remember some of my mom's women friends having "Playgirl" magazine (and Playboy) and frankly discussing the other associated 'liberties' afforded to them as single women thanks to feminism and the sexual revolution.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

PZ links to Spiderman movie news so he can fulminate over comic nerds behaving badly:

Spider-Man gets a new costume! Fans are the same old sexist scum! (archived)

Trouble is, the news is a year old and the actress was cut from the production long ago. He's either Ophelia dumb or Fox News clever. Coming so soon after his gratuitous swipe at Zimmer, I'd say the latter. His O'Reilly schtick is the only thing slowing his slide into obscurity.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Steersman wrote: Not sure who started that “meme”, or when or how PZ got involved, but it seems that this following comment by one “Jennifer B. Phillips” on Brayton’s blog deserves to be immortalized as a clear and early manifestation of it:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2e5qr6d.jpg

Although I’ve never been particularly enthusiastic about deprecating Nazi analogies – certainly somewhat extreme at times, but the contrast and impact are not without some value. As both Paula Kirby and Ophelia Benson have argued or implied with their use of them.
Sigh... What Godwin's law says:
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1
I doesn't continue with 'therefore you're an idiot and your example is wrong and you just lost.'

There are many times, when discussing things on the Internet, it's an appropriate reference as it's FUCKING EASY TO UNDERSTAND THE REFERENCE UNLESS YOU'RE A COMPLETE FUCKING MORON.

In fact, I find many of the ways idiots call-to-fallacy also annoying. Ad hominem is a valid tactic in some circumstances. Appeals to authority are valid in some circumstances. You see both of them used, appropriately, in the courtroom all the time. After all, the Courts aren't interested in incompetent, uneducated 'expert' witnesses clouding up the picture.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:As to the blockbot, I have seen Myers post about ti once and he said he was not in favour of it.
I think he's being cautious after the AtheismPlus fiasco.
The whole AtheismPlus movement was begun as an embodiment of his own opposition to 'dictionary atheism' and the promotion of an atheism that mirrored his own political viewpoints.
But Myers wasn't visibly involved as a public face of atheism plus leaving just Jen McCreight and Greta Christina as the only two prominent atheists who could be seen as leaders of the movement. Both of them dropped out for different reasons (Christina because she couldn't be bothered, and McCreight because she couldn't cope with the valid criticism she was receiving. Carrier's intellectual artillery fired on himself, leaving the field open to the likes of Setar, Grimalkin and Ceepolk to take the reins and gallop merrily towards la-la land. It was almost shocking to see how quickly SJWs will turn a movement with some potential for good, into a complete joke.
Myers, Benson and Watson were initially supportive of Aplus but soon started to treat it as embarassing family secret, the mad granny locked in the FTB attic.
The blockbot is also tied to Atheism plus - it's run by some of the same idiots behind atheismplus, and more importantly, it's run by oolon, someone who was seen through as a disingenuous poseur by Myers months ago.
Some of the people on the blockbot team are almost indistinuishable from POEs - banning Lady Gaga for example.
Myers may be an asshole but he's smart enough to avoid getting tied in to the actions of that lot.

I tend to disagree. I think he's letting it slide by because it hurt the Myers brand and constantly opens him up for additional ridicule vectors, but he still flouts this on his sidebar:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... /Aplus.png

And has since August, 2012.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

piginthecity wrote:As we're talking dictionaries and such, the word 'nice', used to mean 'vaguely pleasent' as in 'nice guy' is a modern, rather crappy usage. The original usage is more like 'neat' as in 'nicely done'. Or as Guttmann says in the Maltese Falcon "Mr. Cairo is a man of nice judgement". It used to be a better word.

I think you should go for the sig :)

Also, the word "nice" was generally not a.. a nice thing.. to describe someone or something in my beloved Jane Austin books. Her characters usually had to clarify that they were not being "nice", or that a thing was not "nice" (because that was something negative). Though the word is a little shifty in her works (because the meaning had been apparently undergoing a lot of flux), as seen in the explanation and example below:
nice (adj.)
late 13c., "foolish, stupid, senseless," from Old French nice (12c.) "careless, clumsy; weak; poor, needy; simple, stupid, silly, foolish," from Latin nescius "ignorant, unaware," literally "not-knowing," from ne- "not" (see un-) + stem of scire "to know" (see science). "The sense development has been extraordinary, even for an adj." [Weekley] -- from "timid" (pre-1300); to "fussy, fastidious" (late 14c.); to "dainty, delicate" (c.1400); to "precise, careful" (1500s, preserved in such terms as a nice distinction and nice and early); to "agreeable, delightful" (1769); to "kind, thoughtful" (1830).

"In many examples from the 16th and 17th centuries it is difficult to say in what particular sense the writer intended it to be taken." [OED]

By 1926, it was pronounced "too great a favorite with the ladies, who have charmed out of it all its individuality and converted it into a mere diffuser of vague and mild agreeableness." [Fowler]

"I am sure," cried Catherine, "I did not mean to say anything wrong; but it is a nice book, and why should I not call it so?"
"Very true," said Henry, "and this is a very nice day, and we are taking a very nice walk; and you are two very nice young ladies. Oh! It is a very nice word indeed! It does for everything." [Jane Austen, "Northanger Abbey," 1803]
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=nice

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

zenbabe wrote: Also, the word "nice" was generally not a.. a nice thing.. to describe someone or something in my beloved Jane Austin books. Her characters usually had to clarify that they were not being "nice", or that a thing was not "nice" (because that was something negative). Though the word is a little shifty in her works (because the meaning had been apparently undergoing a lot of flux), as seen in the explanation and example below:
The older usage is retained in the expression "that's a nice distinction". Meaning being "pedantic", a "hair-splitter" and/or a "dick".

And what is this "Six Fuck Yous From Russel Glasser"?

http://www.apollowebworks.com/russell/i ... l-face.jpg

"My presupposition of my own superiority is based entirely on my not being Jeff Dees"

http://www.atheist-experience.com/peopl ... ff-new.jpg

"Just wait until I get my cybernetic brain implants, then I will parrot better than Matt Dillahunty"

http://www.atheist-experience.com/peopl ... y/matt.jpg

"I almost saw the head of my penis. Almost"

Really?

Post by Really? »

Check out this Guardian article from everyone's favorite investigative journalist, Paul Mason. The same man who actually believed oolon and blindly advocated the Block Bot seems to assert that governmental control of communication is a big problem for the lower classes. (It's hard to tell; the article doesn't seem to have a solid claim.)

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... rd-snowden

Make up your mind, Paul. Is freeze peach a good thing or isn't it?

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

A day or two ago there was a brief discussion about The Raw Story, whether it had gone SJW, or if it was just Marcotte.

Where here are two articles from the Raw Story that are obviously distorted in ways I hope would be clear to anyone. I haven't cherry picked these articles. I probably found the first via a link on my feed reader. The second had a great headline that appeared in the sidebar of the first.

NSA diverted computers and laptops from shipping facilities to install spyware
By Scott Kaufman
Sunday, December 29, 2013 14:39 EST
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/29/n ... l-spyware/
source: http://www.spiegel.de/international/wor ... 969-3.html

Mike Huckabee was creeped out by woman facing discrimination over breast size
By David Edwards
Monday, December 30, 2013 8:47 EST
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/30/m ... east-size/
source: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/m ... 01563.html

In the first article, NSA diverted computers and laptops from shipping facilities to install spyware, Kaufman, who I would say is a long time SJW blogging at Lawyers, Guns, and Money, writes that:
Der Spiegel reported on Sunday that the NSA’s “Tailored Access Operations” (TAO) has been diverting desktops and laptops shipped to U.S. consumers and installing spyware on them.
but what Der Speigel reallys says is
Sometimes it appears that the world's most modern spies are just as reliant on conventional methods of reconnaissance as their predecessors.

Take, for example, when they intercept shipping deliveries. If a target person, agency or company orders a new computer or related accessories, for example, TAO can divert the shipping delivery to its own secret workshops. The NSA calls this method interdiction. At these so-called "load stations," agents carefully open the package in order to load malware onto the electronics, or even install hardware components that can provide backdoor access for the intelligence agencies. All subsequent steps can then be conducted from the comfort of a remote computer.
It can be argued the NSA doesn't have enough oversight or regulation of who it targets, but Der Spiegel makes it clear this occurs only to targets of investigations not to US consumers in general.

To make matters worse, the reporter, Kaufman, isn't a J School grad, he's a Ph.D in English Literature. That is, he knows exactly how he tortures the English Language.

The second article carries the wonderful headline:
Mike Huckabee was creeped out by woman facing discrimination over breast size

I read this and think this is a story about Huckabee's actions while governor, and if he wants to run in 2016, this could be brought up as an issue.

But when you read the story

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/30/m ... east-size/

Or its source

source: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/12/m ... 01563.html

What you find is that Huckabee never says he was "creeped out", and neither does Politico. That's reporter David Edwards (who comes from the blog Crooks & Liars) spin. And this had nothing to do with Huckabee's official actions when in government.

What Huckabee is talking about is an awkward uncomfortable radio interview he gave on his radio show and he makes it clear he was uncomfortable because this interview was on a national radio show.

There is no evidence he was creeped out by the woman at all. That's either David Edwards' distortion when writing the headline, or the distortion of the headline writers at The Raw Story, but it's the headline that spills across anyone reading this via twitter or an RSS feed.

The Raw Story and Politico both agree:
Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) says that he has been trying to forget that he was forced to interview a woman who was fired because her boss thought her breasts were too large.

In a recent interview with Politico, Huckabee took a look back at his time being a radio host as The Mike Huckabee Show comes to an end after nearly two years of trying to go head-to-head against Rush Limbaugh.

He recalled that a producer scheduled one interview that really made him uncomfortable.

“It was a woman who got fired because she said that her boss thought that her breasts were too big. And I’m not making this up,” the one-time Republican presidential candidate explained. “So I’m sitting there having to interview this woman about her boss thought her breasts were too big. I’ve had conversations with a lot of people, public and private, but this is just not one I want to have on a national radio show.”

“It was bizarre. It was absolutely the most awkward, uncomfortable conversation I think I’ve probably ever had.”
Edwards goes on to quote Politico:
Huckabee, who also hosts a Fox News show, noted that he had “tried to forget” talking to the woman, but “unfortunately I’m unable to.”
But consciously omits:
he said with a laugh.
Of note perhaps is the use of creep. If a woman described Huckabee (or probably any man) as a creep no one would give it a second thought. That man is a creep. But here, we can say Huckabee was creeped out by a woman with large breasts and we know before reading the article that it's Huckabee who is the real creep.

And of course the commenters love that:
RantingTommy • a minute ago
I'm creeped out by Mike Huckabee.
stingray68 • 18 minutes ago −
Mike Huckabee likes to fashion himself as a God-fearing Southern gentleman, so makes a big deal over his sanctimonious morality while at the same time, his Red state audience is down at Hooter's, oogling the waitresses. It's the duality of conservativism- preach what you don't practice.
David R Velasquez stingray68 • 9 minutes ago
I'm sure Huckabee is never at a loss for words while talking dirty to his favorite hooker.
Ted Schofield • 25 minutes ago
I bet he fks with his clothes on, what a moron
John M Conley • an hour ago
Mike Huckabee has issues with breasts. He's angry. Instead of breast-feeding, his mama probably told little Mikey she just wanted to be friends. (Thanks, Rodney Dangerfield) And you know what they say about men who are intimidated by breasts. I don't know myself. But, I'm sure they say something. (drum rap)
Carla Akins • an hour ago
Biology makes him uncomfortable.
leatherstocking20 • 44 minutes ago
Millions of Americans are creeped out by him, period!
In addition to the usual Marcotte crapola, I'm not sure any longer that The Raw Story isn't just feeding us The Raw Sewage.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

JacquesCuze wrote:
It can be argued the NSA doesn't have enough oversight or regulation of who it targets, but Der Spiegel makes it clear this occurs only to targets of investigations not to US consumers in general.

To make matters worse, the reporter, Kaufman, isn't a J School grad, he's a Ph.D in English Literature. That is, he knows exactly how he tortures the English Language.
By the way, I read Kaufman's email.

http://cdn.grumpyelder.com/wp-content/u ... oad-24.png

Just saying.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Mykeru wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:

By the way, I read Kaufman's email.

http://cdn.grumpyelder.com/wp-content/u ... oad-24.png

Just saying.
Well, I remember where I saw this. FARK. The FARK headline for this story was: Dell's brand new computers now come preloaded with NSA spyware http://www.fark.com/comments/8079069/De ... SA-spyware

FARK headlines are almost always guaranteed to be distorted but that's what makes that site so much fun.

The Raw Story though claims:
Raw Story is a progressive news site that focuses on stories often ignored in the mainstream media. While giving coverage to the big stories of the day, we also bring our readers' attention to policy, politics, legal and human rights stories that get ignored in an infotainment culture driven solely by pageviews.
In this case, the FARK headline accurately summarizes the distortion implied by Scott Eric Kaufman's article.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Okay, I didn't really fact-check the etymology of 'nice' and stand corrected. I just assumed that Sidney Greenstreet was the ultimate authority on the language. It's an easy mistake to make.
Mykeru wrote: And what is this "Six Fuck Yous From Russel Glasser"?
I got an eMail from said personage containing (I think) six FuckYous a few weeks ago. I deleted the correspondence as it wasn't going anywhere constructive, so it has to be from memory. One was definitely Fuck you for marginalizing women and another was for 'pretending to be civil', but I can't recall the other specific reasons I am a terrible person. I can't ask Russell because he was absolutely clear that he would never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever send me any more communication !

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

piginthecity wrote:Okay, I didn't really fact-check the etymology of 'nice' and stand corrected. I just assumed that Sidney Greenstreet was the ultimate authority on the language. It's an easy mistake to make.
Mykeru wrote: And what is this "Six Fuck Yous From Russel Glasser"?
I got an eMail from said personage containing (I think) six FuckYous a few weeks ago. I deleted the correspondence as it wasn't going anywhere constructive, so it has to be from memory. One was definitely Fuck you for marginalizing women and another was for 'pretending to be civil', but I can't recall the other specific reasons I am a terrible person. I can't ask Russell because he was absolutely clear that he would never, ever, under any circumstances whatsoever send me any more communication !
Can we all call into The Atheist Experience and ask? I would suggest acting like a dimwitted fundy or smart-assed IDer for the screener.

Via TAE FTB:
CALLING/BEING ON THE AIR
The Atheist Experience uses a cable access studio that is used during the week by other programs. Do not attempt to call us at any time other than our scheduled air time, which is 4:30-5:30 PM CST on Sunday afternoons. The number is 512-472-2255. To increase your chances of getting on the air, as the phone lines fill up quickly, trying calling beginning around 4:15-4:20. If you are a theist, your call will be placed higher in the queue. The phone screener will ask what your question or topic is, and this information is made available to the hosts before they answer you. If you are an atheist calling, please have a clear and succinct question ready for the hosts.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

piginthecity wrote:
I got an eMail from said personage containing (I think) six FuckYous a few weeks ago. I deleted the correspondence as it wasn't going anywhere constructive, so it has to be from memory.
Oh, just a pro-tip from years in the bowels of bureaucratic organizational psychopathology: Never delete anything.

What, you need the space? Archive things from your inbox.

More than once I had someone who was trying to pass the buck for a screw up based on their demand to do it their way. My usual MO is to let them talk themselves into a corner claiming it was all my idea and then produce the email that I had told them I lost so as to give them impetus to run with their bullshit.

God damn, I'm an asshole.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Yeah - I deleted it because at bottom I was attempting to be constructive even if I was disagreeing and with that reply there was nowhere for it to go. Also, my original Email to them wasn't very good in that it wasn't as focussed or concise as it should have been and I represented myself in a way I hadn't properly thought through.

I was somewhat taken aback by the massiveness of the tantrum thrown, though, especially as i hadn't addressed my eMail to anybody in particular, just at the AE inbox and he could have ignored it. It left me wondering whether Russell's rage was genuine, in which case I fear for his blood pressure, or whether he couldn't really care less, just identified my email as coming from an opponent and that's how he habitually replies to opponents.

Matt Cavanaugh

Re: Miri's Sacred Models

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Finally got around to finishing my critique of Miri's critique of/apology for Rape Culture, etc.
A comment that I just finished posting on your blog, though it seems to have disappeared for some reason:

It's there now. The Wordpress giveth, and The Wordpress randomly fucketh it up again.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

piginthecity wrote:Yeah - I deleted it because at bottom I was attempting to be constructive even if I was disagreeing and with that reply there was nowhere for it to go. Also, my original Email to them wasn't very good in that it wasn't as focussed or concise as it should have been and I represented myself in a way I hadn't properly thought through.

I was somewhat taken aback by the massiveness of the tantrum thrown, though, especially as i hadn't addressed my eMail to anybody in particular, just at the AE inbox and he could have ignored it. It left me wondering whether Russell's rage was genuine, in which case I fear for his blood pressure, or whether he couldn't really care less, just identified my email as coming from an opponent and that's how he habitually replies to opponents.
First off, being constructive is massively over-rated. Especially when you are dealing with cowardly shit Social Justice Keyboard Warriors who seem to treat every interaction as inept sublimation for something that dare not speak it's name, such as having a small dick, general obsession over something primal like sex or eating all the Doritos or having the brain power of a house-pet that has to be expressed in rage.

Glasser strikes me as someone in the P.Z. Myers mold: A real-life physical coward who has to interact through some medium with a kill switch, like forums he controls, email and a public access call-in program. Then when you see him in person, probably to smack him for some banhammer move he made by proxy, he can't be spotted behind the furniture.

Which is pretty typical of new media douchebags like Myers and Watson. And lazy wanna-bes like Glasser.

Which means Glasser is just a gift. If he responds to a semi-constructive question rubbing his hands because here's someone he can beat up on over the internet, triggering him into full-on losing-his-shit entertainment could be a total harvest of lulz.

Where the fuck is Welch to explain how to deal with New Media Douchebags? Seriously, I can't find a link to "How To Take Down New Media Douchebags Like Rebecca Watson".

*grumble*

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Mykeru wrote:
piginthecity wrote:Yeah - I deleted it because at bottom I was attempting to be constructive even if I was disagreeing and with that reply there was nowhere for it to go. Also, my original Email to them wasn't very good in that it wasn't as focussed or concise as it should have been and I represented myself in a way I hadn't properly thought through.

First off, being constructive is massively over-rated. Especially when you are dealing with cowardly shit Social Justice Keyboard Warriors who seem to treat every interaction as inept sublimation for something that dare not speak it's name, such as having a small dick, general obsession over something primal like sex or eating all the Doritos or having the brain power of a house-pet that has to be expressed in rage.

Glasser strikes me as someone in the P.Z. Myers mold: A real-life physical coward who has to interact through some medium with a kill switch, like forums he controls, email and a public access call-in program. Then when you see him in person, probably to smack him for some banhammer move he made by proxy, he can't be spotted behind the furniture.

Which is pretty typical of new media douchebags like Myers and Watson. And lazy wanna-bes like Glasser.

Which means Glasser is just a gift. If he responds to a semi-constructive question rubbing his hands because here's someone he can beat up on over the internet, triggering him into full-on losing-his-shit entertainment could be a total harvest of lulz.

Where the fuck is Welch to explain how to deal with New Media Douchebags? Seriously, I can't find a link to "How To Take Down New Media Douchebags Like Rebecca Watson".

*grumble*
Eh, I think the argument in terms of trying to be constructive can be made. Just realize that you're not talking to the person you're actually talking to, you're making an argument for all the people reading what you're saying. That said, I also think that parody/satire/takedowns/etc. work as well. Just for different people and different audiences. (I'm no good with the aggressive stuff.

That said, trying to be constructive in terms of a private e-mail. THAT'S a fools game.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Mykeru wrote:Oh, just a pro-tip from years in the bowels of bureaucratic organizational psychopathology: Never delete anything.
What I learned during my brief stint with the federal government: back-date everything.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Karmakin wrote: Eh, I think the argument in terms of trying to be constructive can be made.
Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you and, lastly, fuck you.

/Glasser
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Oh, just a pro-tip from years in the bowels of bureaucratic organizational psychopathology: Never delete anything.
What I learned during my brief stint with the federal government: back-date everything.
Also, bogart the conch and poke the fat kid with a pointed stick.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Mykeru wrote:Also, bogart the conch and poke the fat kid with a pointed stick.
And cheer up, cuz things are undoubtedly even nastier on the girls' side of the island.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

JacquesCuze wrote:...

In addition to the usual Marcotte crapola, I'm not sure any longer that The Raw Story isn't just feeding us The Raw Sewage.
I stopped reading them for a number of reasons.

First, because they really didn't do most of their work. Too much of it is fished out of other sources and re-written.

Second, because too many times when I went to the source of the 'article' it wasn't a fair re-write and it was cast as more sensationalist than it really should have been. They're not the only ones who do this. It's, really, on both ends of the political spectrum.

Third, because they started bringing in hacks like Marcotte. And, Marcotte. along with Coulter and other idiotic demagogues, make a great litmus test for the credibility and honestly of an editorial staff/newsroom. Those clowns are serial liars and seem to be, by their actions, only interested in dubious narratives that advance their whack-nut political careers.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Really? Mine was have an unreadable signature!!! :)

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Tribble wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:...

I stopped reading them for a number of reasons.

First, because they really didn't do most of their work. Too much of it is fished out of other sources and re-written.

Second, because too many times when I went to the source of the 'article' it wasn't a fair re-write and it was cast as more sensationalist than it really should have been. They're not the only ones who do this. It's, really, on both ends of the political spectrum.

Third, because they started bringing in hacks like Marcotte. And, Marcotte. along with Coulter and other idiotic demagogues, make a great litmus test for the credibility and honestly of an editorial staff/newsroom. Those clowns are serial liars and seem to be, by their actions, only interested in dubious narratives that advance their whack-nut political careers.
Yeah, I was disappointed both of these are framed at the site as articles, not blog posts, when all they are is rewrites and agenda based reinterpretations of another source. And yep, that's what media has become these days.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Also, bogart the conch and poke the fat kid with a pointed stick.
And cheer up, cuz things are undoubtedly even nastier on the girls' side of the island.
True. I would rather have a rock dropped on my head than be slowly bitched to death over a period of years until I am a dried out husk of my former self carrying her purse in my capacity as walking tampon caddy.

Rock. Much better.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Mykeru wrote:
True. I would rather have a rock dropped on my head than be slowly bitched to death over a period of years until I am a dried out husk of my former self carrying her purse in my capacity as walking tampon caddy.
:lol:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Mykeru wrote:
Also, when I become God-Emperor of the planet, he's on the short list to be locked into a cargo container and dropped into the Marianas Trench.
So, Glasser is Megatron?

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Pit trivia question: What do Adolph Hitler, Pat Condell, and PZ Myers have in common?
Each of them has a first name with the letter P in it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Blame Everything on Gallagher

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:What I learned during my brief stint with the federal government: back-date everything.
Tribble wrote:Really? Mine was have an unreadable signature!!! :)
Also: Blame everything on Gallagher.

We had a brain-damaged colleague at the ranch for a short while who used to blame every fuck-up that happened on her watch on a mild-mannered, egyptian arab gelding named Gallagher. All because once -- once -- Gallagher pulled a float off a water trough.

"Say, Joan -- why did that hose, the one draped over the electric fencing, run all night, thus draining our tank?"
"Ahh ... Gallagher did it."

"Say, Joan -- why is the feed room door open, the grain all missing, and several horses looking bloated & uncomfortable?"
"Ahh ... Gallagher did it."

"Say, Joan -- why are there deep tire ruts all over the pasture?
"Ahh ..."
" ... Never mind, Joan -- you're fired."

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
So, Glasser is Megatron?
If that's a Transformer's reference, I don't get it. S'natchurally.

The important thing is that it's a 7 mile deep wet hole:

[youtube]Y2tm40uMhDI[/youtube]

Not to be confused with these all wet hos:

http://thunderf00tdotorg.files.wordpres ... re-amy.jpg

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

piginthecity wrote:As we're talking dictionaries and such, the word 'nice', used to mean 'vaguely pleasent' as in 'nice guy' is a modern, rather crappy usage. The original usage is more like 'neat' as in 'nicely done'. Or as Guttmann says in the Maltese Falcon "Mr. Cairo is a man of nice judgement". It used to be a better word.

Seeing as you are posting blog entries now I think you should get as much mileage as possible out of it. Clearly this is a rape threat, actually multiple rape threats from a prominent atheist-feminist. Put this up on your "wall of hate" as evidence of the evil of atheist-feminists.
Mention it as often as possible, saying things such as "All I said was.... and a prominent feminist threatened to gang rape/ repeatedly rape me!" This will come in handy when giving speeches, media interviews, making blog posts and explaining to your doctor why you need meds for your PTSD. :ugeek:

Mykeru

Re: Blame Everything on Gallagher

Post by Mykeru »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sounds good to me.

http://transitionvoice.com/wp-content/u ... 750573.jpg
We had a brain-damaged colleague at the ranch for a short while who used to blame every fuck-up that happened on her watch on a mild-mannered, egyptian arab gelding named Gallagher.
Oh.

Tribble

Re: Blame Everything on Gallagher

Post by Tribble »

Mykeru wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sounds good to me.

http://transitionvoice.com/wp-content/u ... 750573.jpg
We had a brain-damaged colleague at the ranch for a short while who used to blame every fuck-up that happened on her watch on a mild-mannered, egyptian arab gelding named Gallagher.
Oh.
The first time I saw that, it was funny. That it became the focus of his act... It was so tiresome...

Fortunately, the TV had a remote and I could just change the channel so I avoided a life-time of crippling Comedy-Induced PTSD... But it was a close call. I shudder to think that if batteries died, or (even worse) they'd have had Twitter back then and I was forced, practically at gunpoint, to engage in some sort of twitterpocalypse on a daily basis...

I might need six weeks off work to surf the net, go to meet-ups and generally screw off while malingering suffering from debilitating panic attacks because someone squashed a watermelon or said something mean on the Internet...

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Hey, I know Nifong has apologized, of sorts with the specter of civil liability hanging over his head (he recently decalared bankruptcy to limit his potential payout) , but has any of the Duke faculty , particularly the "Gang of 88" and student "pot bangers" ever apologized for assuming that these guys were either rapists, or aided and abetted in rape, racists and dumb jocks?

[youtube]g6nUOuD5nTc[/youtube]

Anyone? One? Beuller?

[youtube]RuQT8SZth9w[/youtube]

The fucking bigotry of Social Justice Wankers never ceases to amaze.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

More pot bangers. Mostly because I want to download this douche-baggery later and I'm lazy.

[youtube]g_RVCA5bl1E[/youtube]

The SlymePit, it's Delicious :lol:

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Oh, one to make sure

http://www.theemailadmin.com/wp-content ... n_pool.jpg

I didn't notice the snipe for Tribble's post, who hasn't counted since I "fine tuned" my settings.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gefan wrote:
Back to you, Reverend.
Alrighty then:

http://sweasel.com/wp-content/uploads/2 ... desnow.jpg

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Mykeru wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Back to you, Reverend.
Alrighty then:

Is that a picture of Parsehole I see on the right?

It is. Parsehole really is the messiah!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gefan wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Gefan wrote:
Back to you, Reverend.
Alrighty then:

Is that a picture of Parsehole I see on the right?

It is. Parsehole really is the messiah!
No that cat doesn't...oh, on the right.

Yeah...I can see it.

But if that's a sign of the Messiah, how do you explain this vision of Rebecca Watson?

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000762 ... large.jpeg

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Glasser exudes smugness. Not quite as much as Wagner, but get Martin and Russel double-teaming the mike and it's a perfect storm of self-satisfaction.

[youtube]I8wVmYMjR74[/youtube]
[youtube]7FAI_-woNh4[/youtube]

I used to like Glasser quite a bit because he didn't get his jimmies rustled as often as Matt. But you know, Matt will admit to flaws in his arguments and cede some ground (within limits.) All of the hosts seem to be diehard SJWs, however. I've yet to hear of any of the hosts advance an argument against an obnoxious SJW. Outside of maybe Matt, who only did so because the A+ people went after him first.

When the YT fan channel was taken over by the AE crew, and comments were shut down (speech censored), that clinched it for me and a lot of people, I think.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Mykeru wrote: http://www.apollowebworks.com/russell/i ... l-face.jpg

"My presupposition of my own superiority is based entirely on my not being Jeff Dees"
Russell Glasser looks like an Android knockoff of Steve Jobs.

:rimshot:

Robbie

Post by Robbie »

Disabling comments on YT, but it's ok to comment on the FtB page specifically for that video. Hmm. Pretty obvious attempt to cash in on the ad revenue. Wonder how that's going.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

James Caruthers wrote:Glasser exudes smugness. Not quite as much as Wagner, but get Martin and Russel double-teaming the mike and it's a perfect storm of self-satisfaction.
Ah, scientism. Like Surly Amy is all about "science".

When someone opens as though their atheism is attempting to "converge with science", they are full of shit poseurs. You don't even have to bring science into it because it isn't "science vs religion", it's "religion vs logical and critical thinking".

Most religions, are just cobbled together bits of ad hoc rationalizations plastered over initially flawed assumptions that causes them to be so internally inconsistent, that they fail that test.

Sorry, Jesus being "all man and all god" isn't a scientific question. It's basic common sense, like asking if a ball can be all red and all green all over at the same time.

But people like Glasser adhere to "science" because 1. Cool shit and 2. They want the authority of science -- and they are basically authoritarians -- without promoting just the kind of logical and critical thinking tools, common sense, that would make it difficult to promulgate the other bullshit they believe.