Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads
Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by Tigzy »

Look, I even double posted it to impress upon people Ophelia's rotational qualities.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tigzy wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Tigzy wrote:It's like that guy here - Gaffin - everybody seems to get his name wrong.

Who?
The one who did the video where he said Ophelia Benson was rotating around on a giant haemhorroid.
Isn't this the creation story of Caine's people?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Bourne Skeptic wrote: Hitler isn't that short. But you're right, it is easy to spell and pronounce.
[youtube]nxxSIX3fmmo[/youtube]

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Clarence wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:Day 6: I still have no teeth and still can't eat. :crying-green:
*Pats the kitty*.

It's ok. DOG will forgive you. Hopefully you can get well soon!

Yes, I do forgive you.

clownshoe

Post by clownshoe »

The podcast that says "I need feminism... because this dick ain't gonna suck itself"

Full Frontal Zealotry podcast - Episode S02E14
Trigger Warning: Cursing, Swearing, Jesus
http://everdense.com/ffz/archives/289

welch

Post by welch »

DaveDodo007 wrote:All those arguing about Myers tenure are missing the point, P Z is worth his weight in advertising gold to the University of Minnesota Morris. Him just being linked with the place covers his salary, how would I, from the UK even know Morris existed let alone have a University and being a SJW/feminist is hardly a crime in academia quite the opposite in fact.

He also might be a good teacher. I mean, he's a shitty skeptic and hasn't done shit with science in a while, but for the classes they need taught, he might do a good job.

I just wish he'd stop being such a twat.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Steersman wrote:FWIW and relative to the ongoing saga of the freewill/determinism saga, it seems I’ve been either banned or put into moderation for the following comment of mine on Jerry Coyne’s post about a young child, now a woman of 21, orphaned by her fundamentalist parents playing with rattlesnakes for fun and “prophet”; two follow-up comments of mine don’t even show “awaiting moderation”. In any case:
Steersman wrote:While I certainly don’t want to make light of the tragedy you’ve described or its deplorable manifestation of egregious child abuse – did you know that the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, which might reduce the incidence of that crime by defending a child’s right to freedom of religion, has been signed by every country in the world except Somalia, South Sudan and the United States, a situation that Obama has described as “embarrassing” [understatement of the year], and one due largely to “the opposition of religious conservatives”? – I would have thought that, given your apparent commitment to “hard determinism”, you would have been more sympathetic to that “time to go” trope or meme.
His response:
Jerry Coyne wrote:All right, Steersman, you are out of line here. A two-year-old child doesn’t have any degree of freedom at all; she was forced to lose her parents because of their stupid beliefs. And believe me, we can influence people to stop this kind of delusion, a delusion that kills children, through environmental influence, i.e. calling them out.

Your comment is ludicrous, insensitive, and should have embarrassed you. I suggest you stop frequenting this site; I don’t want your nonsense here.

And, in fact, you have made light of this tragedy. You’re just too obtuse to realize it.
I had thought that he might have taken “the bit in the teeth” and run with the UN Convention issue as that seems a more effective response than being rather self-indulgent and histrionic over a tragedy that happened some 17 to 20 years ago – the girl lost both parents to the same cause. But I’m somewhat amused and impressed that he made reference to the “degrees of freedom” idea that I’ve been peddling thither and yon as it seems a way off the horns of that particular dilemma; Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that ….
:lol:

I don't know why, but your getting banned from WEIT just cracks me up. Why does nobody like you? :lol:

(I like you.)

Also, I need to confess that *tugs* catching on at the ’pit is my proudest achievement. I don't get out much.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Steersman wrote:FWIW and relative to the ongoing saga of the freewill/determinism saga, it seems I’ve been either banned or put into moderation for the following comment of mine on Jerry Coyne’s post about a young child, now a woman of 21, orphaned by her fundamentalist parents playing with rattlesnakes for fun and “prophet”; two follow-up comments of mine don’t even show “awaiting moderation”. In any case:
Steersman wrote:While I certainly don’t want to make light of the tragedy you’ve described or its deplorable manifestation of egregious child abuse – did you know that the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, which might reduce the incidence of that crime by defending a child’s right to freedom of religion, has been signed by every country in the world except Somalia, South Sudan and the United States, a situation that Obama has described as “embarrassing” [understatement of the year], and one due largely to “the opposition of religious conservatives”? – I would have thought that, given your apparent commitment to “hard determinism”, you would have been more sympathetic to that “time to go” trope or meme.
His response:
Jerry Coyne wrote:All right, Steersman, you are out of line here. A two-year-old child doesn’t have any degree of freedom at all; she was forced to lose her parents because of their stupid beliefs. And believe me, we can influence people to stop this kind of delusion, a delusion that kills children, through environmental influence, i.e. calling them out.

Your comment is ludicrous, insensitive, and should have embarrassed you. I suggest you stop frequenting this site; I don’t want your nonsense here.

And, in fact, you have made light of this tragedy. You’re just too obtuse to realize it.
I had thought that he might have taken “the bit in the teeth” and run with the UN Convention issue as that seems a more effective response than being rather self-indulgent and histrionic over a tragedy that happened some 17 to 20 years ago – the girl lost both parents to the same cause. But I’m somewhat amused and impressed that he made reference to the “degrees of freedom” idea that I’ve been peddling thither and yon as it seems a way off the horns of that particular dilemma; Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that ….

I don't know why, but your getting banned from WEIT just cracks me up. Why does nobody like you? :lol:

(I like you.)

Also, I need to confess that *tugs* catching on at the ’pit is my proudest achievement. I don't get out much.
Aww...Sneaking-up-on-you-while-you're-walking-down-an-alley-at-midnight-after-leaving-a-bar-and-you're-stuffed-into-a-van-and-locked-in-a-basement-and-you-don't-escape-until-you-are-convincing-with-your-words-of-love-and-the-ole-guard-goes-down powertugs to you.

But only if you want them.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Southern wrote:
They're all fucking shitty niggas who behave like bitches who should go to hell and have a spiked dick inserted into their cunts until they turn into fags with a bleeding pussy, then the only work they would ever be able to do is selling their rotten pussy and gapping asses in the street for some neckbearded bastard to piss with his smelly cock while he screams "eat it, whore!"
Maybe my Klan membership and rotten pussycock (gender is a social construct) makes me biased, but I love this post.

James Caruthers

welch wrote:
DaveDodo007 wrote:All those arguing about Myers tenure are missing the point, P Z is worth his weight in advertising gold to the University of Minnesota Morris. Him just being linked with the place covers his salary, how would I, from the UK even know Morris existed let alone have a University and being a SJW/feminist is hardly a crime in academia quite the opposite in fact.
He also might be a good teacher. I mean, he's a shitty skeptic and hasn't done shit with science in a while, but for the classes they need taught, he might do a good job.

Doesn't he say that he mostly teaches entry-level work? For him, it's probably easy as hell.

http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... tid=123513
BIO 111. Entry-level shit.

If he's good at it, he's good. Good for him and his students. But this work should still be easy as hell for a scientist like him. I do martial arts, and if I were teaching intro to kung fu for the next 10 years, I could hardly call it any kind of work at all. When you work well below your ability (which I would argue Myers is doing,) you're still working, but... I don't think anything Peez does is worthy of too much praise. He does work that should be easy as hell for him, and he still posts about his students being assholes, and apparently can't keep his mouth shut regarding his politics, as that recent accusation (from the republican group on campus) of PZ abusing his position suggests.

A number of the ratings are clearly from fans of FTB and PZ. They say things like "OMG a celebrity" and "He runs a famous blog" and "he is right up there with Richard Dawkins."

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Really? wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:*snip*

(I like you.)

Aww...Sneaking-up-on-you-while-you're-walking-down-an-alley-at-midnight-after-leaving-a-bar-and-you're-stuffed-into-a-van-and-locked-in-a-basement-and-you-don't-escape-until-you-are-convincing-with-your-words-of-love-and-the-ole-guard-goes-down powertugs to you.

So cute. Cainaji flouncetugs to you both, and also freely available to all Pitters (dependent upon Spoons availability*).

*Please check your Spoons account prior to accepting flouncetugs. All transactions are considered legally binding once committed to. Seller cannot return unused spoons. Seller will not sell your Spoons to any third party other than Melissa McEwan, who will consume the sold Spoons and turd them out on the second Friday of each month. Seller does not guarantee that flouncetugs are of any greater value to your life than the equivalent number of cat hairballs.

Beta Neckbeard

Post by Beta Neckbeard »

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

Gumby wrote:
welch wrote: the sad thing about that? People, at least in the US, see my last name every time they go in a store, or damned close. (maybe not trader joes, but fuck that collection of twee hipsters.) And yet, it is like there is some fucking genetic inability to spell "welch" correctly.
Like yours, my last name is very short. It's not a common surname, but it's dead simple to both pronounce and spell. I won't dox myself here but suffice it to say I have seen and heard it mangled hundreds of times over the course of my life. I'd change my last name to Smith but morons would probably start writing it as "Smoonthoth" if I did.

Look, it could be worse. It's not like your name is Gifun. Or Gaflan. Or Greffandor. Or something.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

ROBOKiTTY said (http://www.slymepit.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... 36#p162836):
Day 6: I still have no teeth and still can't eat. :crying-green:
My sincere sympathies. I had my wisdoms out 43 years ago, but I'll never forget it. Not fun at all.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:Day 6: I still have no teeth and still can't eat. :crying-green:
The kids are all butt chugging these days.

Still I recall my wisdom teeth day of coming home and being told to cram teabags into my mouth to aid the clotting.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

JacquesCuze wrote:
The kids are all butt chugging these days. Have you tried an ensure enema?

Still I recall my wisdom teeth day of coming home and being told to cram teabags into my mouth to aid the clotting.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

That seems weird. Wonder what I was tripping on.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
<snip>
His response:

<snip>
I had thought that he might have taken “the bit in [his] teeth” and run with the UN Convention issue as that seems a more effective response than being rather self-indulgent and histrionic over a tragedy that happened some 17 to 20 years ago – the girl lost both parents to the same cause. But I’m somewhat amused and impressed that he made reference to the “degrees of freedom” idea that I’ve been peddling thither and yon as it seems a way off the horns of that particular dilemma; Rome wasn’t built in a day and all that ….

:lol: And I have a pork chop around my neck too! But I expect it’s partly due to the fact that many blogs where I’ve been banned tend to be Internet Silos with a “conventional wisdom” they promote or peddle. And my challenges or mocking – Allah *Himself* in the case of Islamic Awakening – tend not to be received all that well. Or maybe it’s just that I’m a dickhead. Or some combination of those.
Guestus Aurelius wrote:(I like you.)
Thnk you, thnk you ’ver much …. :-) FWIW, I enjoy reading your comments too – although that’s probably not saying much as I don’t have anybody on ignore and read as many comments as I have time for – have to skim some of the longer ones, and some leave me scratching my head.
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Also, I need to confess that *tugs* catching on at the ’pit is my proudest achievement. I don't get out much.
:-) That’s one of the more enjoyable aspects of this place – everyone’s frequently idiosyncratic contributions, part of its not inconsiderable claims to fame if not as a monument; reminds me of the wild profusion of wildlife found in places like the Great Barrier Reef.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

I was hoping to use this opportunity to lose some weight in order to further conform to patriarchal expectations, but so far the pounds aren't shedding. Curses.

ROBOKiTTY

Post by ROBOKiTTY »

Telling Steersman to stay away is like rejecting the village sage. Who happens to be an automaton.

Git

Post by Git »

ROBOKiTTY wrote:Telling Steersman to stay away is like rejecting the village sage. Who happens to be an automaton.
Somewhere a village has lost its Turing Machine...

dogen

Post by dogen »

James Caruthers wrote:
welch wrote:

Doesn't he say that he mostly teaches entry-level work? For him, it's probably easy as hell.

If he's good at it, he's good. Good for him and his students. But this work should still be easy as hell for a scientist like him. I do martial arts, and if I were teaching intro to kung fu for the next 10 years, I could hardly call it any kind of work at all. When you work well below your ability (which I would argue Myers is doing,) you're still working, but... I don't think anything Peez does is worthy of too much praise. He does work that should be easy as hell for him, and he still posts about his students being assholes, and apparently can't keep his mouth shut regarding his politics, as that recent accusation (from the republican group on campus) of PZ abusing his position suggests.

A number of the ratings are clearly from fans of FTB and PZ. They say things like "OMG a celebrity" and "He runs a famous blog" and "he is right up there with Richard Dawkins."
What makes you thing that teaching 100-level courses is easy? Sure, the material is at a lower level -- but so, generally, are the students.

Sound like you're blowing smoke out your arse, son.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Git wrote:
ROBOKiTTY wrote:Telling Steersman to stay away is like rejecting the village sage. Who happens to be an automaton.
Nah, he's more of a difference engine.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

From other blogs – and websites? Places on the Internet where some people are ’rong? Shirley, you jest! :-)

But I kind of like the closing comment in an Edge essay on Internet Silos:
My solution? For one thing, you can do your part by regularly visiting the opposition and showing them in conversation how reasonable you can be. There's little more upsetting to a silo than infiltration by an intelligent, persistent individual.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Git wrote:
:-) Though I expect that my “program” will eventually run across a “halt” instruction of one sort or another ….

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

dogen wrote:
Git wrote:
Nah, he's more of a difference engine.
Clacking away? (Programmers in the novel of the same name by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling being called “clackers”.)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

My (part time) neighboors are from New York, living in Ireland. I was talking with them the other day and they knew about MMU, going so far as to say it's an excellent university and is quite hard to enroll in. On the other hand, they have never heard of Myers...

Immanuel K

Post by Immanuel K »

Fluevogshoe wrote:The podcast that says "I need feminism... because this dick ain't gonna suck itself"

Full Frontal Zealotry podcast - Episode S02E14
Trigger Warning: Cursing, Swearing, Jesus
http://everdense.com/ffz/archives/289
Just in time for My morning coffe, thank you!

James Caruthers

dogen wrote:
Probably. I only have my limited experience assistant teaching kids. I know freshmen can be right bastards, but I have been reading PZ's student feedback on ratemyprofessor and a lot of the complaints are things like "isn't prepared" or "doesn't communicate his intentions to the class" or "is totally disorganized and has no idea what he wants to do." These may be butthurt freshmen who can't hack science, but it may also be that PZ's high standards for his social justice activism carry over to his RL work.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

James Caruthers wrote:
dogen wrote:
Probably. I only have my limited experience assistant teaching kids. I know freshmen can be right bastards, but I have been reading PZ's student feedback on ratemyprofessor and a lot of the complaints are things like "isn't prepared" or "doesn't communicate his intentions to the class" or "is totally disorganized and has no idea what he wants to do." These may be butthurt freshmen who can't hack science, but it may also be that PZ's high standards for his social justice activism carry over to his RL work.
The ones that say, "doesn't like his students", "unapproachable", "doesn't have much time to spare" are almost cliche PZ.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Teaching is a difficult, tedious, repetitive job. It is also highly rewarding if you can manage to keep your passion for both what you're teaching and for the achievments of your students.

For all that I hate Myers' SJL bullshit, so far I have no reason to not respect him as a teacher. If he's still got that initial passion after all these years, and doesn't inject his political views in his teaching, then that's a side of him I will hold in high regard.

Still can't stand the fucker, though...

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Brive1987 wrote:Here is PZ's argument in welch like brevity.

http://i.imgur.com/b2oNHU8.jpg

Doesn't matter what metric you use you get 2x binary peaks and a middle ground into which SJ fits.

So sex is real! Except when it isn't!

I'd call that a win/win.
So what you're saying is, PZ's argument about peaks and valleys have gone tits up? :whistle:

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Teaching is a difficult, tedious, repetitive job. It is also highly rewarding if you can manage to keep your passion for both what you're teaching and for the achievments of your students.

For all that I hate Myers' SJL bullshit, so far I have no reason to not respect him as a teacher. If he's still got that initial passion after all these years, and doesn't inject his political views in his teaching, then that's a side of him I will hold in high regard.

I wouldn't trust any kind of anonymous review of his teaching. There are bound to be students who hate him for reasons of religion or politics and who want to hit out at him in some way.
I've seen no reason why we should see him as a bad teacher.
He's an asshole online in his own little fiefdom of FTB - there's no reason to presume he carries that behavior into the classroom - remember, science teachers in the US will be aware more than most that they risk their jobs if they try to directly mix religion with science. He has a decade of experience of fundies trying to get him fired for being an atheist. I'm pretty sure he's figured out which topics to avoid.
He teaches biology in college, not rape culture 101 (that's what pharyngula is for.)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Teaching is a difficult, tedious, repetitive job. It is also highly rewarding if you can manage to keep your passion for both what you're teaching and for the achievments of your students.

Be prepared to be disappointed then.

http://i.imgur.com/LhatAEG.jpg

Who'd a guessed?

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Brive1987 wrote:

Who'd a guessed?
Having both taken biology at university and taught it at undergraduate and postgraduate level I don't see the issue there. University level biology is not the same as high school biology. You are expected to do a lot more reading yourself.
Just because you got straight A's before is absolutely no guarantee that you'll keep getting them.
When I was an undergraduate I did a Natural Science degree that had quite stringent entry requirements. I suspect that almost everyone in the year (about 70 students) would have been straight A students in high school but they certainly weren't getting straight A's in university.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dick Strawkins wrote: Having both taken biology at university and taught it at undergraduate and postgraduate level I don't see the issue there. University level biology is not the same as high school biology. You are expected to do a lot more reading yourself.
Just because you got straight A's before is absolutely no guarantee that you'll keep getting them.
When I was an undergraduate I did a Natural Science degree that had quite stringent entry requirements. I suspect that almost everyone in the year (about 70 students) would have been straight A students in high school but they certainly weren't getting straight A's in university.
Yes, I've known quite a few people who were straight A and then completely drowned when they moved to university-level classes, be it in med school, biology or physics. The transition is hard and demands a lot of self involvement.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Which is why I don't have any degree and spend my days munching crayons.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Just kidding. I've never even come close to university level. I stopped my education two years short of a baccalauréat.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Life itself is naturally the highest level of education. The rest is mostly abstract mind games. Clever and often fun but increasingly vertical in nature.

I was more amused in the comment above the one complaining about "too hard". Ie the one noting, in an otherwise positive review, that PZ brought his SJ views into the classroom and appears to be as offensive there as online.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Brive1987 wrote:

Who'd a guessed?
What does his ability to teach have to do with anything? In any event I have no reason to believe he is not a good teacher or a bad one for that matter. Students moan, big deal. Also, by UK standards, his salary is crap. Anyway, I would not care if he is on millions (his rich hate comments excepted which was the purpose of these series of posts)

Attacks on his characteristics outside his SJW activities do nothing to counter the harm he does to the A/S community. It just comes across as petty and makes it trivial for people to point and accuse us of having a personal vendetta with no basis in fact.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: Having both taken biology at university and taught it at undergraduate and postgraduate level I don't see the issue there. University level biology is not the same as high school biology. You are expected to do a lot more reading yourself.
Yes, I've known quite a few people who were straight A and then completely drowned when they moved to university-level classes, be it in med school, biology or physics. The transition is hard and demands a lot of self involvement.
When I started my studies the drop out rate in the first 6 months was about 50%. What surprised me at the time is that even a degree from a good university did not guarantee the ability to work under pressure or learn a lot of detail in a short space of time. The course was designed that way to weed people early out who were unlikely to make it but it was an eye opener.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:Here is PZ's argument in welch like brevity.

http://i.imgur.com/b2oNHU8.jpg

Doesn't matter what metric you use you get 2x binary peaks and a middle ground into which SJ fits.

So sex is real! Except when it isn't!

I'd call that a win/win.
PZ's Taint Theory of Gender Ambiguity.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

Who'd a guessed?
What does his ability to teach have to do with anything? In any event I have no reason to believe he is not a good teacher or a bad one for that matter. Students moan, big deal. Also, by UK standards, his salary is crap. Anyway, I would not care if he is on millions (his rich hate comments excepted which was the purpose of these series of posts)

Attacks on his characteristics outside his SJW activities do nothing to counter the harm he does to the A/S community. It just comes across as petty and makes it trivial for people to point and accuse us of having a personal vendetta with no basis in fact.
The freely provided student reviews are relevant (IMO) because they provide general context for character. I don't see anyone drawing direct professional conclusions beyond this. The comment I referenced, specifically identified him bringing SJ into the classroom in an offensive manner. Mind you this was an otherwise positive review. In the SJ world of personality politics this is definitely a point worth noting.

Are not petty and trivial "attacks" on individuals a hallmark of much of the ridicule that comes from the 'pit? Even if cloaked in humour? Evidence of the FCn personal 'villainy' and their goading to new levels of ridiculousness is the currency for their marginalisation. Serious engagement on an intellectual level became pointless long ago. Steers not withstanding.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

JackSkeptic wrote:
When I started my studies the drop out rate in the first 6 months was about 50%. What surprised me at the time is that even a degree from a good university did not guarantee the ability to work under pressure or learn a lot of detail in a short space of time. The course was designed that way to weed people early out who were unlikely to make it but it was an eye opener.
There's that, plus it stimulates the brain muscle. (The brain is a muscle, right? I think it's a musc...OH THOSE ARE CRAYOLA!!! GASTRONOMY! *nomnomnomnomnom*)

I was going to wax poetic on my actual level of respect for most teachers I've ever come across. There are a few I considered bad at the time, but later realised it was just me being a jackass. A small, tiny portion were complete fucktards (like that French teacher who confused two totally different novels and still blamed me and my best friend for HER mistake). On the other hand, I've had two brilliant English teachers, one a mix of Sean Connery and Jean Yann, the other a very kind and witty 75 years old gentleman. I was not very good at 101 physics until I came across my physics teacher while rock-climbing. We kind of bounded, and my grades rose up. Not because of the friendship, but because of my renewed interest in the subject through talking with him about it out of a classroom. Most of my science teachers were actually like that.

Maybe someday, I'll muster the strenght to get a GED. A good friend of mine (who posted here a few times) got his biology Ph.D at the tender age of 40-something. There's hope yet!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Brive1987 wrote:Serious engagement on an intellectual level became pointless long ago. Steers not withstanding.
:lol: :lol: :lol: (sorry Steers) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

See? I killed the Pit again!

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:See? I killed the Pit again!
But like a cursed mummy, up she rises.

[youtube]yAJH234JEn8[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

dogen wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
welch wrote: He also might be a good teacher. I mean, he's a shitty skeptic and hasn't done shit with science in a while, but for the classes they need taught, he might do a good job.

What makes you thing that teaching 100-level courses is easy? Sure, the material is at a lower level -- but so, generally, are the students.

Everything's easy if you aren't doing it. Look at how many people shit on K-12 teachers, as if what they do is easy, including PZ all too often. It's one reason why I dislike the term "unskilled" labor. Anything requires some skill. Sometimes, it's a skill a lot of people have, but having worked in fast food, marina gas stations, newsstands, restaurants, aviation, computertry, all that shit's hard if you don't know what you're doing.

What happens when you get to where you do know what you're doing? You have acquired skills. I love watching people like a cook in a waffle house who are really good. It's almost like a dance, and if anyone who's never done it, thinks it's easy to sling hash like that for a building full of people, I invite them to step the fuck up and give it a try. Just let me film it, because an hour in when they're ready to cry, I want to be asking them how "unskilled" that shit is now.

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

I wouldn't trust any kind of anonymous review of his teaching. There are bound to be students who hate him for reasons of religion or politics and who want to hit out at him in some way.
I've seen no reason why we should see him as a bad teacher.
He's an asshole online in his own little fiefdom of FTB - there's no reason to presume he carries that behavior into the classroom - remember, science teachers in the US will be aware more than most that they risk their jobs if they try to directly mix religion with science. He has a decade of experience of fundies trying to get him fired for being an atheist. I'm pretty sure he's figured out which topics to avoid.
He teaches biology in college, not rape culture 101 (that's what pharyngula is for.)
Friend of mine teaches CompSci at FSU. Every once in a while, we read him his "reviews" from ratemyprofessor.com. It's kind of funny, like the kids who are so angry when they get busted for cheating. (Pro tip kids...PUT YOUR OWN NAME IN THE FILE. At least lie well if you must.) Or how he's too difficult for non-majors.

shrug.

I'd say that site's probably about as reliable as youtube comments.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Git wrote:
I'd like to take this opportunity to pop in an add to the discussion that Steersman is a dick.

Thank you.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Just watched Sherlock final. Can't believe I waited 18 months for a filler season. Still don't know how he "did it". Now another 18 months? Jesus I will die old before his gets sorted.

As a tragic I will admit to visiting Bart's Hospital and watching the last bit of the season two finale in situ on my iPad ...

LandSnark

Post by LandSnark »

another lurker wrote:
Apples wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Badger 3K wrote:

The picture of the woman at the lathe; she has a piece of cloth hanging from her coveralls near the neckline in perfect position to tangle and get her pulled face first into the machinery. Just being picky.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/14/nyreg ... ident.html
Yale Student Killed as Hair Gets Caught in Lathe
By LISA W. FODERARO
Published: April 13, 2011

[img]..
My hair is almost down to my ass now, and I keep it in a high, tight ponytail 99% of the time. Safety first!
Careful you don't get accosted by random lathes in elevators.

John D

Post by John D »

Haha. I work with many people from non-English speaking countries. Sometimes I find a name that is funny in English. One of my favorites is Birger Assmann. It just has the sort of funny sound with an odd meaning. He is a great guy and I would never harass him about his name... but... it is still funny.

So... yesterday I had a fight with some guys in Liechtenstein and when I woke up this morning the first thing I did was check my email.... and up pops the first note that says "Good Morning Mr. Douce-Tuat," I assumed my Liechtenstein cohort had finally had enough of me and decided to swear at me.... the misspelling due to German being his native language. I said "What the fuck!" out loud.

Then I realized this was the last name of a French guy who is making bearings for us. Haha. Now that is a funny name! "Mr. Douce-Tuat" Haha!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

John D wrote:Haha. I work with many people from non-English speaking countries. Sometimes I find a name that is funny in English. One of my favorites is Birger Assmann. It just has the sort of funny sound with an odd meaning. He is a great guy and I would never harass him about his name... but... it is still funny.

So... yesterday I had a fight with some guys in Liechtenstein and when I woke up this morning the first thing I did was check my email.... and up pops the first note that says "Good Morning Mr. Douce-Tuat," I assumed my Liechtenstein cohort had finally had enough of me and decided to swear at me.... the misspelling due to German being his native language. I said "What the fuck!" out loud.

Then I realized this was the last name of a French guy who is making bearings for us. Haha. Now that is a funny name! "Mr. Douce-Tuat" Haha!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

I had my first personal religious experience today. No, it's not what you think. I was at the dentist's and my usual was not in so I was assigned to another, a Muslim woman. What got me nonplussed, however, was when I moved in to shake her hand she refused. She said it's against her religion and hoped I would respect it. Alright. I didn't really care and I didn't ask, but it got me curious. Turns out, Muslim women can't - or won't - shake hands with men they're not related to. (Or some Muslims I should say, as it appears some factions do and some don't, at least according to the sources I've read.) Fancy that. Also, apparently it has something to do with the man potentially getting tempted and some outdated dogma of how you shouldn't shake the hand of a woman you're not betrothed. Weird.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Pitchguest wrote:I had my first personal religious experience today. No, it's not what you think. I was at the dentist's and my usual was not in so I was assigned to another, a Muslim woman. What got me nonplussed, however, was when I moved in to shake her hand she refused. She said it's against her religion and hoped I would respect it. Alright. I didn't really care and I didn't ask, but it got me curious. Turns out, Muslim women can't - or won't - shake hands with men they're not related to. (Or some Muslims I should say, as it appears some factions do and some don't, at least according to the sources I've read.) Fancy that. Also, apparently it has something to do with the man potentially getting tempted and some outdated dogma of how you shouldn't shake the hand of a woman you're not betrothed. Weird.
This was the hygenist? So she'll stick her hands into a strange man's mouth, but wont shake his hands?

Reminds me of the old joke about the guy in the deli who turns his nose up at tongue.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Pitchguest wrote:I had my first personal religious experience today. No, it's not what you think. I was at the dentist's and my usual was not in so I was assigned to another, a Muslim woman. What got me nonplussed, however, was when I moved in to shake her hand she refused. She said it's against her religion and hoped I would respect it. Alright. I didn't really care and I didn't ask, but it got me curious. Turns out, Muslim women can't - or won't - shake hands with men they're not related to. (Or some Muslims I should say, as it appears some factions do and some don't, at least according to the sources I've read.) Fancy that. Also, apparently it has something to do with the man potentially getting tempted and some outdated dogma of how you shouldn't shake the hand of a woman you're not betrothed. Weird.
That sounds more of a cultural thing than a purely religious hangup.
I've known lots of muslim women who have no problem with shaking hands.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Really? wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote: Also, I need to confess that *tugs* catching on at the ’pit is my proudest achievement. I don't get out much.

Oh, I want them.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dave wrote:
This was the hygenist? So she'll stick her hands into a strange man's mouth, but wont shake his hands?

Reminds me of the old joke about the guy in the deli who turns his nose up at tongue.
Don't think it's got anything to do with hygiene or getting their hands dirty. Perhaps I should've asked.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
That sounds more of a cultural thing than a purely religious hangup.
I've known lots of muslim women who have no problem with shaking hands.
I don't know. These are the sources that I've found which suggest it's a religious thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... e-man.html
http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthr ... ke-my-hand