Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Old subthreads

Re: Mykeru, what a Cnut, eh? Discuss.

Post by Guest »

firstatheist wrote:Once again the hypocrisy gauge pegs out into the red. RW often combs through the content of comedians, skeptics, and B celebrities to find artifacts of anti-feminist speech, then condemns them through her social justice forums. Her (on Twitter) she endorses NWA. Well lets have a look at one of their lyrics shall we?

EZE from Straight out of Compton:

"Shoot a motherfucker in a minute
I find a good piece o' pussy, I go up in it
So if you're at a show in the front row
I'm a call you a bitch or dirty-ass ho
You'll probably get mad like a bitch is supposed to
But that shows me, slut, you're composed to
a crazy muthafucker from tha street..."

Wonderful. Fucking wonderful.

Correction: that was MC Ren

LandSnark

Post by LandSnark »

Skep tickle wrote: And I get to be amused by there being a line for the men's restroom, but none for the women's restroom. :D
Damn your estrogenical tyranny!

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Ah, intersectionality: a white person can't call out non-whites for sexism, unless they're Muslims (but not if they're black American Muslims, who are still immune from being called out). Oh, and we're obligated to say the vilest things about Mormons for opposing same-sex marriage, but we must pretend that black America is gay-friendly.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

LandSnark wrote:
Skep tickle wrote: And I get to be amused by there being a line for the men's restroom, but none for the women's restroom. :D
When my plane arrived in Key West last Saturday, the first thing I did was go to the men's room to take a leak, and as I'm standing at the urinal i can hear a woman in an adjacent stall talking on her phone.

Slither

Post by Slither »

rayshul wrote:I really don't see the point in downgrading someone for their behaviour when you're meant to be grading them on their proficiency at a particular subject.
Indeed, I not only think it is immoral to do so, but also it often shows the dishonesty of the social justice warriors. If a class is going to be graded on how popular you are with your classmates, or how well you get along with your teacher, then the syllabus should explicitly say so. If, on the other hand, the syllabus says that you'll be judged on how well you know a certain subject, or how capable you are at a certain skill, then that is how you should be graded. Period.

And now to the social justice part of the post.

Say you are a student, and you think that your teacher and your fellow students are going to discriminate against you on the basis of the color of your skin, your gender, your sexual orientation, or something else equally unfair. All else being equal, will you choose to concentrate your studies in classes in which
  • a) your grades are going to be subjective, based upon your teacher's or fellow student's opinions, with very few objective criteria, or
  • b) your grades are going to be determined by objective "true" or "false" criteria, which can be impartially determined?
And, say you are a teacher who is concerned about social justice and think it is important that your students not be discriminated against on the basis of skin color, etc. Would you choose a grading scheme where
  • a) the students are judged on how often and well they interact with each other, knowing that this would enable discrimination to take place, or
  • b) the students are either judged by impartial criteria, or (if this isn't possible) judged by someone who isn't aware of the student's race/gender/etc?
The answers to both questions seem to me to be obvious. However, the social justice warriors not only consistently prefer having classes based on "class participation", but absolutely hate engineering, math and the physical sciences where grades are objective. It is almost as if they believe that the people that they care for will be treated better by their fellow students and professors than they objectively deserve! Now, why is that, I ask?

LandSnark

Post by LandSnark »

dog puke wrote:
[youtube]8PC4lA7_gEU[/youtube]

:popcorn:
So thats what its like to have the intellect the depth of a child's wading pool. How interesting :doh:
Attachments
Centipedes_check.png
(230.15 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

didymos

Post by didymos »

welch wrote: Or BJ, depending on the version:

[youtube]fmH3Gwf9UiY[/youtube]
[youtube]jXhLaneEYw4[/youtube]

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Another guitar hero here, but a classical one. I play on a guitar built by Armin Gropp in 1979. It has an unsentimental, lute-like sound, which makes it suitable for both baroque music and modern stuff. The oval sound hole gives it a distinctive look.

So here comes my Golden Tip for beginners.

When learning a new piece, don't start at the beginning every time. Break up the piece in fragments and learn to play these separately first. Otherwise there is the risk that:
1. You get bored with the piece from always repeating the beginning, and then never finish learning it.
2. You learn to play the opening bars really well, but you never quite master the rest at the same level.

It all comes down to self-discipline.

[youtube]1rzzKztnenQ[/youtube]
Classical music? Yuck. No thanks.

;)
Classical rocks! :character-beavisbutthead:

[youtube]uT3SBzmDxGk[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Slymie and the Pitizens

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Any drummers at the Pit?

My grandfather was the drummer for Chief Two Moon's Medicine Band. My dad has natural musical talent, but never picked up an instrument. I wanted to play the drums when I was little, but my parents made me stop, for some unexplained reason. Here's a picture of me as a kid with my first drum:
blechtrommel.jpg
(126.49 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

katamari Damassi wrote:
LandSnark wrote:
When my plane arrived in Key West last Saturday, the first thing I did was go to the men's room to take a leak, and as I'm standing at the urinal i can hear a woman in an adjacent stall talking on her phone.
You must not have got the message, gender and sex are all social constructs. What you heard wasn't a binary construct of the patriarchy but an intersectional being. As esteemed lecturer HJ Hornytoad has noted, concepts such as gender and sexuality have no basis in reality.
How then is it reasonable for you to conclude it was a woman in the other stall when evidence based feminism proves there is no difference between men and women?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

didymos wrote:

[.youtube]fmH3Gwf9UiY[/youtube]

[youtube]AcbxG5O_B4o[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
LandSnark wrote:

Last September, I visited Fenway Park for the first time in over twenty years. At some point in the intervening time, they'd replaced the 50' long piss trough in the men's room with individual urinals. Slowed down things considerably.

I just hope the Hofbräuhaus still has its Pinkelwand.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Clarence wrote:Damn all you assholes and your interminably long, ranty posts on beginning PIANO technique.

And don't even get me started on what I think of the idea of Pit Band!
OMG. We should totally do a "We Are the World"-type song. Each of us contributes a few lines.

The Freethought Blogs...
They are retarded.
They take offense at every single thing
And love child rapists...

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Really? wrote:
Clarence wrote:Damn all you assholes and your interminably long, ranty posts on beginning PIANO technique.

And don't even get me started on what I think of the idea of Pit Band!
OMG. We should totally do a "We Are the World"-type song. Each of us contributes a few lines.

The Freethought Blogs...
They are retarded.
They take offense at every single thing
And love child rapists...
[youtube]41mMxnj_6xg[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Skep tickle wrote:
Pitchguest wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:FWIW, Stacy Mintzer Herlihy ...(snip)
Was that her writing the article too? Says the author is someone called "gadfly" and it doesn't seem like their authorship's been ceded.
I'm gonna guess that the article was taken down, SMH's account closed, then an admin there later reposted it under the "gadfly" account.
I had read that post while searching and discounted it as being the 'hot potato'. The topic was vaguely contentious in a kittenish sort of way. But the comments had only one brief sparring moment over the homophobic aside. Certainly no heat momentum or dogpile on either side. (Though a dogpile on Grounded Parenting would imply an engaged readership........ )

Really it was no worse than what I'd imagine to be Welch's response to a grocery boy's "have a nice day".

My guess is that the 'German Zorro' complained and the network reeled at the prospect of losing their only habitual commentator.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:I played the cello as a kid. I was not very good. Then, I spent an entire week teaching myself to play left-handed (I am.) I showed my music teacher how much better I played that way. He said I couldn't, as the orchestra would look wrong with me in the wrong direction.

Then I asked him if I could attach frets to my cello. Then I quit.
Did they make you play Pachelbel on the cello, too?

[youtube]JdxkVQy7QLM[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:Classical rocks! :character-beavisbutthead:

I should've stuck with the cello. That totally rocks!

In a similar vein, Max Raabe und Palast Orchester:

[youtube]0aJT4AQuikI[/youtube]

Southern

Post by Southern »

Really? wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
didymos wrote:Oooh, she's so street, yo:
Didn't Crommie want to punch white NWA fans in the face?
LOL
Someone tell PZ this right now. there will be Crommunist blood on the dance floor.

"Nobody threatens my Becky, Cromo. Nobody. Here's a tentacle up your ass, you damn cis scum!"

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Raabe also covers Brittany Spears' Oops, I Did It Again:

[youtube]qYr9kIyambE[/youtube]

What few know is, Spears totally ripped off Satchmo:

[youtube]iEZRvIq3kkI[/youtube]

:)

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Bourne Skeptic wrote:Classical rocks! :character-beavisbutthead:

I should've stuck with the cello. That totally rocks!

In a similar vein, Max Raabe und Palast Orchester:

[youtube]0aJT4AQuikI[/youtube]
Think that rocks, Google "Apocalyptica" - that's going to make you wish you REALLY stuck with the cello.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Southern wrote:Did they make you play Pachelbel on the cello, too?
Despite my PTSD (and thanks for no trigger warnings before posting cellos, you motherfuckers!) I still find the cello the most wonderful, mellifluous & versatile instrument.

Most times, the cello section got stuck with the boring 'backbeat' while the violins & violas had all the fun. But once we performed the 1812 Overture, and while the violins were doing the tumbling of the Marseilles, us cellos got to play the driving Russian national anthem that crept up to take over the whole piece. The 'I'll be back' of classical music.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Pitchguest wrote:Think that rocks, Google "Apocalyptica" - that's going to make you wish you REALLY stuck with the cello.
not worthy.jpg
(18.21 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
I pity FtB, A Plus Forum, and Skepchick -- they'll never have as much fun as the 'Pit!

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Cello is glorious.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Really? wrote:
didymos wrote:Also, presented without comment:
Jesus, what a terrible person. Her husband is stressing out and trying to figure out how he'll support his family (and maintain the requirements of masculinity that have been thrust upon him by society) and she's bragging about her sloth. She would be ashamed of herself if she could feel shame.
She has had gastric bypass surgery (plus some extra stomach removed at the same time for an incidentally-discovered tumor, possibly malignant), so eating a cheeseburger may actually be a major endeavor that causes major GI ramifications for at least a day.

Also, remember, she had to take care of the mess on Grounded Parents. What was that, chopped liver?

Also, it may be very hip & "ironic" (in a misuse of that word) to act like you're doing nothing of importance. Makes your followers value you more. Or something.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Brive1987 wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:I'm gonna guess that the article was taken down, SMH's account closed, then an admin there later reposted it under the "gadfly" account.
I had read that post while searching and discounted it as being the 'hot potato'. The topic was vaguely contentious in a kittenish sort of way. But the comments had only one brief sparring moment over the homophobic aside. Certainly no heat momentum or dogpile on either side. (Though a dogpile on Grounded Parenting would imply an engaged readership........ )

Really it was no worse than what I'd imagine to be Welch's response to a grocery boy's "have a nice day".

My guess is that the 'German Zorro' complained and the network reeled at the prospect of losing their only habitual commentator.
LOL. Well, didn't Elyse write that the blogger used info available to her behind the scenes to find the email address of the poster and harassed the poster by that route? Out of public view, perhaps conveniently so...

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

LandSnark wrote:
Oh yeah. Except you can't credit estrogen, my level's probably low what with menopause. I am testosterone-deficient, though - does that count?

Anyway, the restroom thing was a real luxury. The attendance had swelled to about 200 by the final performances at the end of the conference, yet I got to waltz right into the 3-stall women's restroom and have it all to myself. Heaven! :D

Besides that, another moment of note occurred during one of the final performances, when a good-looking guy with a really deeeeeep bass voice held a really lowwwww note for a really looooong time, & a woman sitting up front moaned audibly. (It wasn't me, I swear. Though it could have been.) The audience cracked up & the singers just barely held it together to finish their piece.

Actually, humor aside, it was nice to see the men there enjoying each others' company and enjoying singing together. Bonding, & all that.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Threefer! And if noone else breaks my streak, fourfer!

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Cultural appropriation! That's racist!

She needs to spend more time being brainwashed by talking to Crommunist, clearly.

[youtube]0itOCgJtNVU[/youtube]

James Caruthers

Really? wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
LOL
Dammit ninja'd. :lol:

James Caruthers

firstatheist wrote:Once again the hypocrisy gauge pegs out into the red. RW often combs through the content of comedians, skeptics, and B celebrities to find artifacts of anti-feminist speech, then condemns them through her social justice forums. Her (on Twitter) she endorses NWA. Well lets have a look at one of their lyrics shall we?

EZE from Straight out of Compton:

"Shoot a motherfucker in a minute
I find a good piece o' pussy, I go up in it
So if you're at a show in the front row
I'm a call you a bitch or dirty-ass ho
You'll probably get mad like a bitch is supposed to
But that shows me, slut, you're composed to
a crazy muthafucker from tha street..."

Wonderful. Fucking wonderful.
I've never understood how SJWs can deal with gangsta rap. My general impression is they don't. They ignore it. They pretend it's all about fighting oppression. OR they go the other way and say it's all sexist shit, ignoring the aspects of it that are discussing real political issues.

Since gangsta rap isn't so easily classified as "totes social justice" or "totes oppressive," the SJL seem to not be able to make their minds up on the issue.

Fortunately, many SJWs have the solution: remove everything that makes rap and hip-hop interesting and complex, and replace it with SJW preaching!

https://libcom.org/library/problem-hip- ... ry-culture

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Really? wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:
LOL
"A white girl".
"A [racial specifier] [term used to infantilize women]".
Way to go, racist sexist Crommunist.

-

"I am dumping red paint on her like an anti-fur activist."
Way to go, physical assaulter of women Crommunist.

-

James Caruthers

People seem to miss the point of the article's thesis: that as long as women are seen as commodities and not people with agency and their own stories and conditions to tell, then hip hop can't be a true media for poor and working people because it will only tell part of their story and also be a tool to keep backwards ideas within the class itself.
Oh god damn it, this shit again. Every fucking thing in the world, from music to movies to video games to all forms of art, must be a "true media for the poor and working people to tell their story and advance class struggle." They remind me of christian fundies who have to make sure every movie they watch or song they listen to is praising Jesus.

Dammit, sometimes it's not the end of the world to hear someone sing something you don't agree with.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Really? wrote: LOL
"A white girl".
"A [racial specifier] [term used to infantilize women]".
Way to go, racist sexist Crommunist.

-

"I am dumping red paint on her like an anti-fur activist."
Way to go, physical assaulter of women Crommunist.

-
It could be worse - it could be franc threatening to slip something into her pocket. CALL SECURITY AND HAVE CROMMDORK BANNED!!!!!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

PZ is salivating over a peaceful coup, just like the one in Ukraine, happening in his home town.

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... e-ukraine/
A peaceful transition that kicks out the rich exploiters and opens the doors to the public? Yes, please. Can we have one of those, too?
Oh wait, did he forget the 80 odd deaths in Independence Square?

[youtube]5k4esXj2rho[/youtube]

Evil, stupid, cow-poke bastard.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ is salivating over a peaceful coup, just like the one in Ukraine, happening in his home town.

A peaceful transition that kicks out the rich exploiters and opens the doors to the public? Yes, please. Can we have one of those, too?

They were probably older, cis hetero white men, so they don't count. If not, the were women who probably supported the patriarchy, so they don't count either. Plus, they called people cunts.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Raabe also covers Brittany Spears' Oops, I Did It Again:

[youtube]qYr9kIyambE[/youtube]

What few know is, Spears totally ripped off Satchmo:

[youtube]iEZRvIq3kkI[/youtube]

:)
Heh. This is who Britney's vocal technique was inspired by:

[youtube]3SAbJjktk7E[/youtube]

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Clarence wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
Clarence wrote: Then the Shit Hit the Fan going the other way. Adria began receiving death/rape threats and Sengrid's servers were subjected to a DDS attack. So within a day of that happening she was fired, for the quite legitimate reason of being a shitty "developer evangelist". And that should have been the end of that, but because of the laziness of the regular press, the existence of press outlets that 'take sides', and the fact that feminists and other SJW's like to re-write and selectively ignore parts of history that don't fit their narratives, most of the stuff that I've mentioned in this post is unknown to the vast majority of people, even people who did not support Adria's actions, and those who didn't take sides but tried to be fair or professional in their reporting.
You forgot that she went on twitter and social media after the event and claimed she had her bosses' full support. Even though she didn't. That forced them to step up and act to distance themselves from her, before they were dragged into her shitty e-war. She was actually bringing them negative PR, which, considering she was one of their fucking PR representatives, is hilarious. :lol:
Thanks for reminding me of that. You are correct. And I suppose it is more likely they fired her for that reason and the Bad PR more so then her particular actions in bringing the DDS attack down upon them.

At least the SJW bullshit does backfire occasionally because companies tend to hate hate hate HATE bad PR and don't care who causes it.
She was fired because she made herself unemployable and dragged someone into it who was totally innocent (one of the guys in the photograph) No one in their right mind would want to be 'outreached' by her as they will never know if they are next for her attention. Brittle, judgmental people like that make terrible professional environments. As soon as she posted her blog she sacked herself and the fact she failed to grasp this shows how deluded some people can be. I doubt she will learn from it though, especially with the RadFems hijacking it and twisting it to comply with their views rather than simple reality.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Aneris wrote:
didymos wrote:

[.youtube]fmH3Gwf9UiY[/youtube]

[youtube]AcbxG5O_B4o[/youtube]
[youtube]jraREzXpn7Q[/youtube]

I love the song, but the video is pretty funny whether or not early cryptopsy is your thing.

Also:

[youtube]ixRkv571zi8[/youtube]

Cultural appropriation

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Oh, please!

[youtube]g1Zmkevry5g[/youtube]

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Oh, please!

[youtube]g1Zmkevry5g[/youtube]
:lol:

Fuck you man, you owe me a new keyboard.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

My browser is broken: redirecting me to alt.misic.random

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Well at least my bourbon is talking sense even if I'm not. But I'm reduced to listening to RW extolling Darwin on SGU while making lunches.

We all know music died the day after "The Final Cut" in '82.

Bourne Skeptic

Post by Bourne Skeptic »

Brive1987 wrote:Well at least my bourbon is talking sense even if I'm not. But I'm reduced to listening to RW extolling Darwin on SGU while making lunches.

For me it was the day Freddy Mercury died. :cry:

[youtube]lDckgX3oU_w[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

miri, the professional downer (seriously, even the picture looks emo to me) has a post on neutrality, and which naturally is against Woody Allen. Not really concerned by what she wrote - too tired to bother reading it, but a quick skim showed this bit, quoted from nut job marcotte (who is completely unbiased in situations like this, naturally):
P.S. My favorite commentary on the Woody Allen situation is a comment from this post by Amanda Marcotte:
Occam’s Razor:

Thesis 1: A mother who otherwise loves and cares for her children chooses to deliberately implant a memory of painful molestation to get back at her partner, and was so good at memory implantation, better even than Korean War interrogators, that the memory persisted into adulthood and was powerful enough that the daughter felt the need to be dragged through the mud and called a liar just for expressing it.

Thesis 2: A guy who has admitted to having sex with another minor, and who makes movies about how fun it is to fuck minors, actually abused a minor.
Wow. Such leap of logic. Much unlikely. So irrationality.
Never mind the bizarre sentence structure at the end - I think she's talking about the people who want to wait for evidence - but...wtf? Marcotte's thesis one has quite a few holes in it, and the whole hyperbolic memory implantation is just....umm...crazy talk. She really has no clue about how memory works, or how an abusive mother can influence the children (or father, but we're talking about Farrow, who apparently has her own issues). Children are manipulated like this all the time by one side or another. No need to make such a slanted and logically false "thesis". As for #2 - when has he admitted to having sex with a minor or made any movies about it? I admit I mostly ignore Allen and have no real idea of what he has done recently, but Soon Yi (I assume this is the minor) was, according to what I've read, of age (18+) at the time, or perhaps close to it, as near as they could figure out. I'm going by the recent article, not any other memory, so maybe I'm wrong. Is there something else, or are they naturally slanting the case?

Anyway, looking at Miri's piece a bit more, she does seem to be less on the side of rationality and more on the side of SJW witch burners with this piece. This comment alone -
(“Innocent until proven guilty!” is a lovely battle cry until you’re far from a court room and the question is whether or not to believe a woman who says very convincingly that your hero sexually abused her.)
is really misleading, and doesn't apply to many people. I have no stake in the Allen controversy, and really don't care either way - he's no hero of mine. But, the evidence needs to be looked at as neutrally and as unbiased as possible, including all the material (such as the fact that the evidence was not sufficient decades ago, but now that there is more time for memories to be manufactured, it somehow becomes more reliable?). You need to stay neutral and unbiased especially if it involves someone you know or care about/idol-hero worship/etc. She does make some good points, but in other cases seems to swing and miss completely while claiming it was a home run. Even the "convincingly" part is fallacious - how many people convincingly thought that Satanic groups were abducting and abusing babies, or that they have been picked up by UFOs and given the old anal probe, or how many are convinced they saw their dead grandmother...

:doh:

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Skep tickle wrote: From the page she linked (bolding added by me):
Write women into Wikipedia at the University of Oregon, Eugene, March 7-8 2014

Interested in learning how to contribute to Wikipedia and gain hands on experience doing so? By the end of this two day session, you will have written and published your first Wikipedia article, contributing to the world of free knowledge and ensuring the digital legacy of a woman subject of your choice.
Following a link at her page shows that fembot "in collaboration with the ASUO Women’s Center, the Center for the Study of Women in Society, the School of Journalism and Communication and the UO Libraries is hosting events in Eugene, Oregon and online to write women into Wikipedia." Following another link finally leads to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... Month_2014 - which seems to actually have more information about the plan, including a list of suggested "subjects", which are all (currently) women in history and/or art who don't currently have Wikipedia pages, though the page does solicit "Women focused subjects please, from around the world!"

I don't have any problem with people who have some actual information about actual people (or event or thing) with some actual impact in some place & time, adding a page per person-or-topic.

I wonder, though, what else people might come up with as "a woman subject [sic] of [their] choice", with "a woman subject" being "whatever you want to define it as!" :shock:
Ok, ok, she's right. There is a lack of "woman subjects". I'll do my part by writing an article about tampon leakage. Someone's got to, and no men are writing about it for some strange reason. :lol:

Spinoff topics could include plastic vs cardboard applicators, toxic shock syndrome, timing your birth control pills so that one's period never happens on a weekend.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Badger3k wrote: P.S. My favorite commentary on the Woody Allen situation is a comment from this post by Amanda Marcotte:
Occam’s Razor:

Thesis 1: A mother who otherwise loves and cares for her children chooses to deliberately implant a memory of painful molestation to get back at her partner, and was so good at memory implantation, better even than Korean War interrogators, that the memory persisted into adulthood and was powerful enough that the daughter felt the need to be dragged through the mud and called a liar just for expressing it.

Thesis 2: A guy who has admitted to having sex with another minor, and who makes movies about how fun it is to fuck minors, actually abused a minor.
I presume the above is Amanda Marcottes words.

I think she nicely illustrates the problem of the intrusion of identity politics into the skeptical community.
What she says about both Farrow and Allen is skewed from any semblance to the original story that it's hard to know where to begin criticism of it.

What we know of Farrow at the time of the allegation is that she was incredibly hurt by and her adopted daughter Soon-Yi for having had an affair. She had lost one daughter to Allen and was probably in no mood to play nice in regards custody arrangements for their adopted daughter Dylan.
I think an impartial person would have to say that Allen had shown himself to be a terrible father figure (I'm not talking about Soon-Yi - I mean to her siblings including Dylan) and he certainly didn't deserve custody of the children.
On the other hand Farrow was also a pretty awful mother. She accused Allen of molesting Soon-Yi and yet her first reaction on finding out about the affair was to return home and viciously beat Soon-Yi (including, in one account, breaking a chair over her.) To me that sounds like the actions of someone who feels betrayed rather than someone who finds out their child has been a victim of abuse.

Did she seek to 'implant memories'?
Of course not, but did she have a motive to ask Dylan to say something that would ensure Dylan didn't end up in the custody of Allen?
I don't find that implausible in the slightest. Even if Farrow knew it to be untrue at the time there is now way we could assume she intended Dylan to grow up thinking it was a real event.

As for the part about having sex with a 'minor' - I think this may be true - one woman has admitted she had an affair with Allen that began when she was 17. Soon-Yi herself was either 20 or 22 when the affair was discovered and I'm not sure how long it had been going on.
But mixing up attraction to someone who is 17 with attraction to a prepubescent child is an entirely different matter and it's clear that this is the stretch Marcotte attempts.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Brive1987 wrote:PZ is salivating over a peaceful coup, just like the one in Ukraine, happening in his home town.

He's being taken to task by some of the pharynguregulars in the comments, notably for failing to mention the deaths, injuries, and beatings that have occurred, and for ignoring the participation of the extreme right-wing nationalist Svoboda party in the protests (and the possibility that they will have more influence in the aftermath of the uprising). It's pretty arrogant to write offhand blog posts on a complex political situation, occurring in a country about which you know next to nothing, just to push your faux socialist "people's revolution" agenda from a comfortable capitalist position. It's not as if PeeZus has to worry about whether he can afford the natural gas or electricity required to heat his home or office in the winter, out there on the prairie.

welch

Post by welch »

Skep tickle wrote:
Really? wrote:
didymos wrote:Also, presented without comment:
Jesus, what a terrible person. Her husband is stressing out and trying to figure out how he'll support his family (and maintain the requirements of masculinity that have been thrust upon him by society) and she's bragging about her sloth. She would be ashamed of herself if she could feel shame.
She has had gastric bypass surgery (plus some extra stomach removed at the same time for an incidentally-discovered tumor, possibly malignant), so eating a cheeseburger may actually be a major endeavor that causes major GI ramifications for at least a day.

Also, remember, she had to take care of the mess on Grounded Parents. What was that, chopped liver?

Also, it may be very hip & "ironic" (in a misuse of that word) to act like you're doing nothing of importance. Makes your followers value you more. Or something.

The latter. It's the new hipster vogue. Talk about every small thing you do and add that kind of ironic "twist" to it. In that way you appear...i don't know the whole things fucking stupid. Even "ironically", really? you really want people to think you're so useless, you're such a popped zit on the face of the world that your greatest accomplishment for a week just might be eating a cheeseburger?

welch

Post by welch »

James Caruthers wrote:
Really? wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: Didn't Crommie want to punch white NWA fans in the face?
LOL
Dammit ninja'd. :lol:
If I was closer to Canuckistan and had the money, I'd have bought a truckload of those shirts and handed them out on a street corner to anyone who wanted one. Just to watch that useless tit do nothing but get the boo-boo face and maybe cry a little.

That's right motherfucker, HONKIES IN NWA SHIRTS FROM FOREVER21. HERE'S A CAN OF RED PAINT, GO AHEAD, BE A BADASS OFF THE INTERNET.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

welch wrote:
The latter. It's the new hipster vogue. Talk about every small thing you do and add that kind of ironic "twist" to it. In that way you appear...i don't know the whole things fucking stupid. Even "ironically", really? you really want people to think you're so useless, you're such a popped zit on the face of the world that your greatest accomplishment for a week just might be eating a cheeseburger?
Rebecca does it all the time - she fairly wallows in it. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to acknowledge that it's a blatant manifestation of privilege.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Scented Nectar wrote: Ok, ok, she's right. There is a lack of "woman subjects". I'll do my part by writing an article about tampon leakage. Someone's got to, and no men are writing about it for some strange reason. :lol:

Spinoff topics could include plastic vs cardboard applicators, toxic shock syndrome, timing your birth control pills so that one's period never happens on a weekend.
Men can have vaginas and menstruate. I have been saying for years, FOR YEARS, how sexist it is to place tampax in the so called feminine products aisle!

Also, I am proud of Miri for recognizing the rape of otherkin plural beings.
And if Alex and Sam break up because Alex claims that Sam raped them and Sam says that Alex was “totally into it,” remaining neutral makes little sense.

welch

Post by welch »

Here, because you know, it's not all just rich honkies and hogwarts:

acathode

Post by acathode »

James Caruthers wrote:Oh god damn it, this shit again. Every fucking thing in the world, from music to movies to video games to all forms of art, must be a "true media for the poor and working people to tell their story and advance class struggle." They remind me of christian fundies who have to make sure every movie they watch or song they listen to is praising Jesus.

Dammit, sometimes it's not the end of the world to hear someone sing something you don't agree with.
Their problem is that have so entrenched their whole identity into the SJWism that they view EVERYTHING through a pair of SJW-dogma glasses, and therefore to them there can no longer be music simply for the sake of music, art for the sake of art, or entertainment simply for the sake of entertainment. Instead everything turns into propaganda, and the only question becomes if it's propaganda for SJWism, or against it...

SenorBeagle

Re: Slymie and the Pitizens

Post by SenorBeagle »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Any drummers at the Pit?
25 years, man and boy. ;)

My practice kit:
practice kit.jpg
(185.58 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Annnnnnnnnnnnd my gigging kit:
behind the kit.jpg
(196.67 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

Also, despite starting out playing orchestras and knowing it to be true, I'll refrain from making jokes about cellists not being able to close their legs. :dance:

Southern

Post by Southern »

Bourne Skeptic wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Well at least my bourbon is talking sense even if I'm not. But I'm reduced to listening to RW extolling Darwin on SGU while making lunches.

For me it was the day Freddy Mercury died. :cry:

[youtube]lDckgX3oU_w[/youtube]
Foolish fools! The music died the day that Buddy Holly died, as foretold by Don McLean.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Ok, ok, she's right. There is a lack of "woman subjects". I'll do my part by writing an article about tampon leakage. Someone's got to, and no men are writing about it for some strange reason. :lol:

Men can have vaginas and menstruate. I have been saying for years, FOR YEARS, how sexist it is to place tampax in the so called feminine products aisle!
Stores and their clerks get sex/gender/etc wrong all the time. Look at what happened to this poor guy:

Bitch! Beard!
[youtube]S6Jt6fbhz5M[/youtube]

Southern

Post by Southern »

welch wrote:
I just want to say that I was doing this before it was cool.

Eat that, neo-hipsters - I'm the retro-hipster here.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Here's a new one, courtesy of Schala on Ally's blog (http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2014 ... ment-46336):
Penis is the name we give to the external clitoris. It’s length is the ONLY criteria for calling it a penis. A long clitoris with more external length will ALSO be called a penis. It’s the same fucking thing.
Schala also points out (implicitly) that it is wrong to think someone with a deformity is "a freak" (i.e., oogly):
You are comfortable wit the idea of condemning an individual to grow up a freak for 18 years, when there’s no need for it?
Only a freak in your eyes. [response from Schala]
BUT
I think the kid should have input on the braces, with knowledge that the teeth could look bad without them.
Schala does not have a record/history of being a typical FTB-bot, but I thought these comments were, um, erm, interesting.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

BarnOwl wrote:

[.youtube]5k4esXj2rho[/youtube]

He's being taken to task by some of the pharynguregulars in the comments, notably for failing to mention the deaths, injuries, and beatings that have occurred, and for ignoring the participation of the extreme right-wing nationalist Svoboda party in the protests (and the possibility that they will have more influence in the aftermath of the uprising). It's pretty arrogant to write offhand blog posts on a complex political situation, occurring in a country about which you know next to nothing, just to push your faux socialist "people's revolution" agenda from a comfortable capitalist position. It's not as if PeeZus has to worry about whether he can afford the natural gas or electricity required to heat his home or office in the winter, out there on the prairie.
Not surprised that PeeZuss Christ would spout off some uninformed drivel about something he has no clue about (note: I am not claiming to be well informed but I am pretty certain that I know a fuckton more about what is going on than PeeZuss).

Everyone knows that these guys played a significant role right?
[youtube]7onBw-s3xoM[/youtube]

This includes storming riot police armed with shotguns shooting at point blank range armed with clubs and molotov cocktails. Let us not forget that snipers took out more than just a few of them also.

Violent far-right group drives agenda on Kiev streets The police (and everyone no matter what side you are on should be) are afraid of them.
Its members, nearly all male, though a few women have been seen among them, have turned their backs on the peaceful protest advocated by the mainstream opposition and have kept riot police on the back foot with a hail of petrol bombs and cobblestones for the past week.
Basically, the fighters won. They went and fucked shit up and got the job done and I doubt they are going away any time soon.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Peez's latest post is about the Eeebils of Amazon.
Is it really worth it to order from Amazon? Read this exposé of Amazon’s labor practices — they are ruthless, demeaning, and evil.
So I guess Peez'll promptly be on to his publishers asking them remove the 'Happy Atheist' from sale at Amazon, rite? Or failing that, requesting that they divert all Amazon profits to charity, or summink?

Won't be holding me breath on this one.