Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Linus

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by Linus »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Southern wrote: They did that, eh? No wonder they released the Urza Block. It's a fucking drunkard's sick nightmares printed in children's card games form.

And I bet they didn't stop doing that since then, that's why players had to put up with Jace the Mind Sculptor, Valakut, and the fucking Eldrazi. I hope they all die of alcohol poisoning.
I still bask in the glorious memory of coming in second in a private Magicâ„¢ tourney, using two standard decks of "common" cards against Magicâ„¢ fanatics and their rare decks. I was accused of "violating mana integrity" for building a (winning) deck of white & black. I was also chided for not taking the game seriously enough, because when one opponent said, "I'm playing the Bone Flute now" I replied to her, "You can play my bone flute anytime, baby."
Violating mana integrity because white and black are opposing colors? That's dumb. I used to play Pestilence and COP Black way back in the day.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Linus wrote:I really hate the whole "using their own tactics against them" thing. "They" suck, in large part, because their tactics suck. If you use them then you will suck too.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua ... in-001.jpg
We, the German Führer and Chancellor, and the British Prime Minister, have had a further meeting today and are agreed in recognizing that the question of Anglo-German relations is of the first importance for our two countries and for Europe.

We regard the agreement signed last night and the Anglo-German Naval Agreement as symbolic of the desire of our two peoples never to go to war with one another again. We are resolved that the method of consultation shall be the method adopted to deal with any other questions that may concern our two countries, and we are determined to continue our efforts to remove possible sources of difference, and thus to contribute to assure the peace of Europe.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Linus wrote:I really hate the whole "using their own tactics against them" thing. "They" suck, in large part, because their tactics suck. If you use them then you will suck too.
And because they're wrong about a lot of shit. Don't forget that part.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Just dropping by with this Chart of the Week – Why America is Doomed from Skeptic Ink.
Those results also depress and upset laypeople like myself who have never practiced science professionally. Here are all the statements evaluated by the poll:

Smoking causes cancer
A mental illness is a medical condition that affects the brain
Inside our cells, there is a complex genetic code that helps determine who we are
Overusing antibiotics causes the development of drug-resistant bacteria
The universe is so complex, there must be a supreme being guiding its creation
Childhood vaccines are safe and effective
The average temperature of the world is rising, mostly because of man-made heat-trapping greenhouse gases
Life on Earth, including human beings, evolved through a process of natural selection
The Earth is 4.5 billion years old
The universe began 13.8 billion years ago with a big bang

Here are the results in a single graph, sorted from most confidently accepted claim to least:
http://28ocyccvw7v2wef3b1fxdcrfes.wpeng ... /chart.png

Linus

Post by Linus »

debaser71 wrote:Regarding the prominence of certain skeptics I've heard of KS before, but not BR. I guess that I heard of her via RD.net or CFI. I want to comment on my personal judgements but I won't.

For me, I guess I identify with the label "skeptic" but I generally don't use it. I generally use atheist. And yeah, I'll say it again but it wasn't that long ago where being either an atheist or skeptic was met with moans and groans. As far as the "A/S movement"...I'm happy. I consider the mainstreaming of A/S to be a full win. YMMV.
I identify as skeptic, but I don't go to skeptical conferences (unless you count Dragon Con) and I hadn't heard of either of them. To me being a skeptic is more about acting like a dick to my parents whenever they tell me that some particular food "really healthy".

John D

Post by John D »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Southern wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: I remember reading about the fucked-up corporate culture at Wizards of the Coast, makers of the Magic card game. Weekend offsites pounding tequila shots while playing sexualized truth-or-dare with the CEO, and such. But, but ... they had life-sized fantasy figures in the lobby!
They did that, eh? No wonder they released the Urza Block. It's a fucking drunkard's sick nightmares printed in children's card games form.

And I bet they didn't stop doing that since then, that's why players had to put up with Jace the Mind Sculptor, Valakut, and the fucking Eldrazi. I hope they all die of alcohol poisoning.
I still bask in the glorious memory of coming in second in a private Magicâ„¢ tourney, using two standard decks of "common" cards against Magicâ„¢ fanatics and their rare decks. I was accused of "violating mana integrity" for building a (winning) deck of white & black. I was also chided for not taking the game seriously enough, because when one opponent said, "I'm playing the Bone Flute now" I replied to her, "You can play my bone flute anytime, baby."
I have a stupid little red goblin deck that wins consistently in two out of three games. I really only get hurt if someone has an anti-red deck to shoot me down. Magic is fun, but I don't understand the fanaticism. If you like a fair game that is focused on deck building give Dominion a try. It is one of my family's favorites. Congrats on your second place.... well done!

Southern

Post by Southern »

Isn't the goal of the "using their own tactics against them" to open your opponent's eyes to how their tactics are shitty? Of course people may do that just because it's effective, but I always thought of that in an instructive way - the "let's see if you like when the stick goes up your ass, douchebag".

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

debaser71 wrote:Regarding the prominence of certain skeptics I've heard of KS before, but not BR. I guess that I heard of her via RD.net or CFI. I want to comment on my personal judgements but I won't.

For me, I guess I identify with the label "skeptic" but I generally don't use it. I generally use atheist. And yeah, I'll say it again but it wasn't that long ago where being either an atheist or skeptic was met with moans and groans. As far as the "A/S movement"...I'm happy. I consider the mainstreaming of A/S to be a full win. YMMV.
Most people understand "atheist". But when I say "skeptic", I often get a blank stare and sometimes followed by the question "What are you sceptical of?"

But for me, both go hand in hand. I can't imagine being an atheist without being a sceptic or vice versa. I don't understand people like Bill Maher is an outspoken atheist yet peddles anti-vaccination woo. And don't get me going on that German Secretary of Health that shills for homeopathy and actually wants it taught on university level. :evil:

FlyingV

Post by FlyingV »

Linus wrote:
To me being a skeptic is more about acting like a dick to my parents whenever they tell me that some particular food "really healthy".
You just eloquently summed up my years of being a skeptic.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Sunder wrote:
This is on par with someone claiming that their remote control has been stolen.
:laughing-rollingyellow:

Southern

Post by Southern »

John D wrote: I have a stupid little red goblin deck that wins consistently in two out of three games. I really only get hurt if someone has an anti-red deck to shoot me down. Magic is fun, but I don't understand the fanaticism. If you like a fair game that is focused on deck building give Dominion a try. It is one of my family's favorites. Congrats on your second place.... well done!
It's the "Stop Having Fun! This Is Serious Business!" crowd. They're specially prevalent on Magic, because most Magic players like to think that they're better than everyone else, and they only lost because of bad luck, their decks were totally awesome, I promise. And then you find their totally awesome deck is a netdeck from the latest high profile tournament.

DotA is another game that attracts this crowd. They suck the joy of everyone.

Sarlug

Post by Sarlug »

Old_ones wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Barbara Drescher wrote:I think he stepped over the line when he had his minions find and publish the address of a 17yo kid who dared to ask him a question just because they kid was a Christian. That was at least three years ago.
What?!?! Does anyone have any information on this?

Way back the only articles of pz I would bother reading were his science articles that hit my radar. One or two of his religious rants were more than enough to turn me off of that side of him.
Here is the link: http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... -insinceri

Myers names the kid (full name, and city he comes from) and excoriates him for two emails he sent.

Choice quote:
Lord Peezus, Destroyer of High School Students wrote:Hey, Andy — GET STUFFED.

You’re a perfect example of why I am rude — I am really tired of pretentious twits who’ve barely got a high school education, which isn’t much to begin with, and who think they’re brilliant because they can answer everything with “goddidit.” Am I rude? You bet. It’s not going to change, either.
He wasn't kidding, I guess.
Myers really puzzles me. He has all this fawning admiration and coddling sympathy for every feminist drama queen in the blogosphere, and yet in walks a child, and Myers immediately doxxes him and looses his minions. Jesus Christ, what a prick.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Im not sure if I remember how this works...does this go here ?
http://atheiststoday.com/blogs/reapercussions/?p=11679

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Jumping ahead to say, see Reap's post just up on Reapercussions about his experience w/ KS. On phone, perhaps someone else can link it.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ha. Thanks, Reap.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Linus wrote:Violating mana integrity because white and black are opposing colors? That's dumb. I used to play Pestilence and COP Black way back in the day.
Because White is "good" and Black "evil." But these folks were deep into the backstory -- one couple were planning a Magic-themed wedding. Dude I lost to had spent over $200 on his deck. I was just there on a lark and as a favor to the hostess, my friend.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Someone needs to post this on the JREF forums, for the lulz. On FTB? Meh, the response is going to be boring and predictable, but it'll find it's way there eventually.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Linus wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:The Patriarchy strikes again:

http://i.imgur.com/rV2BPaH.jpg
What a wonderful message to send to women all over the globe.

Remember, little ladies, when the going gets tough, don't worry your pretty little heads. Listen to that strong, manly man in your life. You know, there's reason he's the head of the household (wink). He always knows best.
This post is very stupid. Maybe you should apply to become a writer for Jezebel.

Oh crap… for all his time I have been reading here I thought this was Jezebel. Maybe it's just some of the posts?

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

AndrewV69 wrote:Just dropping by with this Chart of the Week – Why America is Doomed from Skeptic Ink.
Those results also depress and upset laypeople like myself who have never practiced science professionally. Here are all the statements evaluated by the poll:

Smoking causes cancer
A mental illness is a medical condition that affects the brain
Inside our cells, there is a complex genetic code that helps determine who we are
Overusing antibiotics causes the development of drug-resistant bacteria
The universe is so complex, there must be a supreme being guiding its creation
Childhood vaccines are safe and effective
The average temperature of the world is rising, mostly because of man-made heat-trapping greenhouse gases
Life on Earth, including human beings, evolved through a process of natural selection
The Earth is 4.5 billion years old
The universe began 13.8 billion years ago with a big bang

Here are the results in a single graph, sorted from most confidently accepted claim to least:
http://28ocyccvw7v2wef3b1fxdcrfes.wpeng ... /chart.png
Thanks for ruining my day. :cry:

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Just saying, the people here who had relationships with BPD's and the like and and see reflections of that in this Radford/Stollznow story are apparently not that far off. According to Reap, Stollznow is (supposed to be) on some sort of medication for her "personal problems". What exactly was she diagnosed with? Given Radford's evidence, the DV arrest and Baxter's personal correspondence with Radford, Stollznow's past claims of victimization and now Reap's anecdote I am firmly coming down on the Radford is innocent side. I've been mostly agnostic throughout the whole thing, even believed the claims early on when they were overshadowed by the Shermer accusations, but the more things come out the more I think Stollznow must have BPD or some other sort of personality disorder.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Southern wrote:
John D wrote: I have a stupid little red goblin deck that wins consistently in two out of three games. I really only get hurt if someone has an anti-red deck to shoot me down. Magic is fun, but I don't understand the fanaticism. If you like a fair game that is focused on deck building give Dominion a try. It is one of my family's favorites. Congrats on your second place.... well done!
It's the "Stop Having Fun! This Is Serious Business!" crowd. They're specially prevalent on Magic, because most Magic players like to think that they're better than everyone else, and they only lost because of bad luck, their decks were totally awesome, I promise. And then you find their totally awesome deck is a netdeck from the latest high profile tournament.

DotA is another game that attracts this crowd. They suck the joy of everyone.
This was ages ago. My friend was into it, so we played whenever we hung out. I'd played a lot of cards (Pinochle, Euchre, Doppelkopf) and also wargames. Her Magic friends had terrible strategy and relied on killer cards. So I adopted asymmetrical warfare. Cheap minotaurs and walls to absorb the dam, while building up an host of saplings and hive thingies. Most got wiped out, but enough got through to hit the 20 'wizard points' or whatever they're called.

It's a sound marketing strategy, to offer expensive, killer cards that'll let you achieve level 4 on the Maslow Hierarchy win despite being a gonk. But that's not my kinda fun. I'll check out Dominion.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

LurkerPerson wrote:Just saying, the people here who had relationships with BPD's and the like and and see reflections of that in this Radford/Stollznow story are apparently not that far off. According to Reap, Stollznow is (supposed to be) on some sort of medication for her "personal problems". What exactly was she diagnosed with? Given Radford's evidence, the DV arrest and Baxter's personal correspondence with Radford, Stollznow's past claims of victimization and now Reap's anecdote I am firmly coming down on the Radford is innocent side. I've been mostly agnostic throughout the whole thing, even believed the claims early on when they were overshadowed by the Shermer accusations, but the more things come out the more I think Stollznow must have BPD or some other sort of personality disorder.
There's still some details missing, but one behaviour that I noted was the refusal to discuss the behaviour. I had a PD friend that got herself into all sorts of bother and that was deeply unsettling, so anecdotally, yes.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: This was ages ago. My friend was into it, so we played whenever we hung out. I'd played a lot of cards (Pinochle, Euchre, Doppelkopf) and also wargames. Her Magic friends had terrible strategy and relied on killer cards. So I adopted asymmetrical warfare. Cheap minotaurs and walls to absorb the dam, while building up an host of saplings and hive thingies. Most got wiped out, but enough got through to hit the 20 'wizard points' or whatever they're called.

It's a sound marketing strategy, to offer expensive, killer cards that'll let you achieve level 4 on the Maslow Hierarchy win despite being a gonk. But that's not my kinda fun. I'll check out Dominion.
This is what the Leroy Jenkins thing torpedoed, innit.

Many years ago when I were a lad, I used to play Warhammer 40K with a neighbour. We had a lot of fun, and would usually plan to buy various forces based on what sort of battles we wanted.

When I moved towns I wanted to continue playing, so attended the local Games Workshop evening sessions. Good God, the autism. It put me off it forever.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Reap wrote:Im not sure if I remember how this works...does this go here ?
Nice post.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I had forgotten that Reap is one of those people who even though he wants people to read his stuff does things to help ensure that they probably won't, like using really bad punctuation, and refusing to use paragraphs. Doh! Anyway, I found Reap's tale intersting, so here it is, cleaned up (punc and para fixes only):
I’m going to start out making some things very clear, at least to those of you who are not simpletons or already know everything by default. I don’t know Ben Radford very well. I actually met him because of his dispute with Karen Stollznow. In a post defending himself against Karen Stollznow Ben Radford mentioned the following regarding me:
Baxter also states explicitly that Karen falsely accused one of his friends of making inappropriate sexual advances toward her in April 2010: “One time, in the heat of “things,” I mentioned that it would have been hot to see her with another man. She flipped out. Throughout the relationship she claims that I keep bringing it up but in reality she has been the one to keep talking about it. The renegade radio host “Reap” has made fun of me for admitting that that sort of thing can be sexy in the past. While Karen was talking with Reap after SkeptiCal, I received a text that Reap had just propositioned her based on this “interest” of mine. Reap then contacted me and asked why Karen was such a fucking psycho. She had blurted it out to him that I had this interest and he tried to make light of it. His girlfriend witnessed the whole thing. Karen passionately stands by her story that he brought it up. I still find that highly unlikely...”
I think it is important to make the following point: that is an accurate account of events. I will, however, expand on it a little bit, because I have seen Karen claiming to have been a innocent victim, but from my experience Karen is not the type to be a victim. She will do/say anything needed to keep from taking responsibility, and she is vindictive. Karen does not like to be turned down. I reach this conclusion from personal experience.

I have known Matt Baxter for about 7 years, and at one time considered him a close friend. I harbor no ill will towards him. I had only known Karen a short time, maybe a year or two, when the following story took place.

After Skepti-Cal, a group of us met at a local bar for drinks. Karen, myself, and my girlfriend at the time, were seated at one end of the group. At one point Karen said to me, out of the blue, that her boyfriend (now husband) would like to watch her and I having sex. Of course I knew her boyfriend and considered him a good friend. I also knew there was little chance of such a thing ending well and so, instead of saying “no way”, I just made light of the proposition and attempted to carry on with the conversation.

Karen was having none of it. She made a couple more remarks trying to persuade me, but I just let them slide and tried to change the subject. The instant she realized I was not going to take her up on the offer she had made, she became confrontational, to say the least. She became visibly angry with me. I moved to another table to try and diffuse the situation. She then shouted names at me across the table several times. She was obviously pissed and, I would assume, a bit drunk. Karen continued to grow more and more abusive towards me. At times she would get directly in my face to talk shit. Finally my girlfriend and Karen went outside to talk, in hopes things could be smoothed out a bit. Instead Karen began accusing me of being abusive towards my girlfriend. This couldn’t have been further from the truth. My girlfriend confronted Karen about her claims denying there was any truth to them and was told by Karen to “Fuck off”.

At this point Karen was completely out of control. She was fighting with Baxter on the phone, screaming shit at me, and it seemed no one could get her to chill the fuck out. Finally, Karen approached us and informed us she was going to take off with someone else, and said something to the effect of, “you can go to hell”. My interaction with Karen during this entire event was defending myself from her accusations and nothing more. I did not call her names, get in her face, or argue with her about any other subject.

The following day I called Baxter because I wanted to see if he could provide some insight into what the hell had happened, and to make sure there was no misunderstanding about my part in things. During my phone call to Baxter I informed him it was my opinion that his girlfriend was a psycho and possibly an insane maniac. Baxter informed me that Karen had accused me of propositioning her, and had pretty much gave me all the credit for the events the night before. I told Baxter that what Karen had told him was a complete lie, and he told me he didn’t believe Karen’s version of events.

He then went on to explain to me that Karen had some issues that needed to be dealt with. Some of these could best be treated with medication, which Karen was not taking at the time. I assume this to be true, since I have no reason to think Baxter would lie; he has no history of doing so. Baxter also told me he was trying to get Karen some help with her issues, and wanted to work with her on their relationship. Because Baxter was a good friend of mine I left the issue alone. He clearly had strong feelings for Karen and was optimistic they could work things out.

Although I was pissed Karen had been blurting out bullshit about me, and had attempted to turn my friend against me rather than accept the fact I was not willing to follow her directions, I saw no need to keep the dispute going or publicly sharing my side of things. I told Baxter as long as Karen kept her mouth shut, and no more lies were told, I would drop it.

Since that evening Baxter has informed me Karen does not want him to have anything to do with me. If he does, it causes an argument between them, so we no longer keep in contact. Like I said, there are no hard feelings between us. Although I am a bit disappointed in his involvement with Karen’s claim to be a “pure victim” and what appears to be an attempt to play a role for monetary gain.

Karen also has made no contact with my girlfriend or myself. She has never attempted to explain or apologize for any of the things she said or did. I find this very interesting, as most people at least attempt to resolve or explain when they act out in such a way.

Baxter did contact me to ask about a link to Karen’s appearance on my podcast in May of 2011. I updated the podcast link so she could use it in her bio per his request. It has since been removed.

At this point, I would like to make it clear I am in no way saying that Karen Stollznow or Ben Radford are innocent, or guilty, of anything involving their relationship. I wasn’t there, I don’t know anything about it. All I am doing is sharing an experience I had with Karen Stollznow.

Having said that, personally I would question anything that Karen Stollznow says. She obviously has the ability to fabricate whatever story she needs to in order to avoid taking responsibility for her actions. She also does not deal well with rejection. It has in the past caused her to have a meltdown in public. I think it is safe to assume it was not the first time she has acted out in such a way. In my opinion I find it hard to believe that Karen is an innocent victim of Ben Radford’s. I would find it more likely the other way around. I certainly did nothing to deserve the treatment I received from Karen. I was a victim of hers, as were the others who had to deal with her tantrum. If anyone needs to know, my main reasons for writing this are to:

- make clear my role in events and relationship to those involved
- balance perspectives that may have been swayed by misrepresentation

It does not really matter to me which side wins the argument between Ben and Karen, so anyone who wants to claim I am biased should keep that in mind. It bothers me to even need to write this because I would have rather just left it alone.

Sidenote: I think it is safe to assume some individuals may take it upon themselves to twist this account into something that fits their preconceived notions about people without bothering to learn the facts first. It is pathetic that I would need to have such a concern, considering a majority of those people claim to be skeptics, when the fact of the matter is they have become what they hate. In my opinion It would be more productive if they would focus on the common beliefs and values they have with others. If they would work to educate from a position of mutual respect built from a relationship based on those things we have in common, instead of accusing and attacking without knowing any facts, it would be far more productive. It would also display a level of maturity previously missing from the crusade to achieve “social justice” at any cost while waving the flag of ignorance and hypocrisy.

See more at: http://atheiststoday.com/blogs/reapercu ... 6pMZX.dpuf
There you go. Read 'em and Reap.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Magic is a great game if you have an infinitely deep wallet. Its biggest flaw is that it's forever saddled with an awful resource management system that not infrequently ruins games before they've started.

For myself since I can't afford to stay current I mostly just play Commander using the mountains of cards I've acquired over the years.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Claus Larsen asked (in the University of Morris forum) wrote:
Actually, I'm not sure what PZ is arguing.

Is he arguings that such paintings are bad, or only when exhibited at atheist conferences?
Hi Claus and thanks for asking. Please allow me to clarify.

The paintings are bad. So bad that the only correct reaction is to be "horrified".

However, when the exact same paintings are slightly re-arranged in the exact same room after a conversation in which all the parties use the phrase 'intent is not magic', then the paintings are no longer bad.

Thanks for your interest and remember to always check your privilege.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

LurkerPerson wrote:Just saying, the people here who had relationships with BPD's and the like and and see reflections of that in this Radford/Stollznow story are apparently not that far off. According to Reap, Stollznow is (supposed to be) on some sort of medication for her "personal problems". What exactly was she diagnosed with? Given Radford's evidence, the DV arrest and Baxter's personal correspondence with Radford, Stollznow's past claims of victimization and now Reap's anecdote I am firmly coming down on the Radford is innocent side. I've been mostly agnostic throughout the whole thing, even believed the claims early on when they were overshadowed by the Shermer accusations, but the more things come out the more I think Stollznow must have BPD or some other sort of personality disorder.
1) There will be character witnesses. Co-workers, college roommates, old boyfriends, etc. The pattern of behavior that will emerge will be damning;

2) Those of us who've dealt with borderline & vindictive individuals might just be projecting, or we might be more attuned to detecting signs that others miss;

3) It is the epitome of skepticism to weigh still 'unproven' statements by KS in light of her numerous claims & accusations that have been proven false.

John D

Post by John D »

Sulman wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: This was ages ago. My friend was into it, so we played whenever we hung out. I'd played a lot of cards (Pinochle, Euchre, Doppelkopf) and also wargames. Her Magic friends had terrible strategy and relied on killer cards. So I adopted asymmetrical warfare. Cheap minotaurs and walls to absorb the dam, while building up an host of saplings and hive thingies. Most got wiped out, but enough got through to hit the 20 'wizard points' or whatever they're called.

This is what the Leroy Jenkins thing torpedoed, innit.

Many years ago when I were a lad, I used to play Warhammer 40K with a neighbour. We had a lot of fun, and would usually plan to buy various forces based on what sort of battles we wanted.

When I moved towns I wanted to continue playing, so attended the local Games Workshop evening sessions. Good God, the autism. It put me off it forever.
Haha. Not all of us mini gamers are that tweeked... but the percentage is pretty high. I first played mini games in the 1970s. I dropped out of the hobby for years and then thought about getting back into it with Warhammer. I was looking at the overpriced minis at the local shop and a guy asked me "Do you play?' I said I was thinking about getting into mini games again... and then... he said..."Dood, it's not a game. It's a lifestyle!" Holy Fuck! I never bought any of the Games Whoreshop stuff after that! I like games that are fun.... changing my lifestyle is really too much to ask!

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Just a quick comment before I try to sleep - saw this on Wired and saw some of the same SJW-types in the comments, along with some others equally disturbing. Not sure what to make of it - I forgot the incident in the book, to be honest - Game of Throne spoilers if you have been following but not seen the latest:
We are talking about Jaime and Cersei here. Nothing either of those two get up to should be a surprise at this point.

Not the point the author was trying to make though was it?
Don't have time to go back and check yet, but the point the author was trying to make is that the director (through what he said about the scene) was showing what he really thought of rape (it is a case of women "really wanting it", so to speak). From what I remember, he was talking about the scene and the actors, and was pleased at how it played out - I don't think it could be extrapolated further than that. But I'm going by memory and could be wrong - I skimmed a bit and may not remember correctly.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

HAHAHAHA. Avi: the new Oolon/Toiletbowl cross (http://freethoughtblogs.com/amilliongod ... ent-594478):
I can’t see the Slymepit without dancing through hoops to dodge your security. You can see my blog. I have a more accessible platform and one that encourages a greater amount of free speech.
My response:
Avi, all you have to do is contact Lsuoma, with your IP data, and he will fix it. You know that; I know that; he knows that. The specific details of how you get caught up in the security traps are perectly clear, prefectly logical, and yet you continue to weave webs about them. Your statements regarding hoops, and so on, is disingenuous at best.

You have, in the past, stated that you weren't going to bother contacting Lsuoma because you didn't feel the need to read the Pit strongly enough to do so -- though clearly you read the Pit frequently enough that you feel confident in making blanket assumptions and statements about it. Anyway, that's fine; if you do not want to read the Pit anymore, that's perfectly within your rights. But to post false statements about the case really does not make you look good.

And to claim that your "platform" encourages a greater amount of free speech is truly laughable. I am amazed you feel comfortable making such a patently false claim.

Most of us do not sit here/there shaking our fists at the FTBullies and shouting cunt randomly while claiming that doing so is free speech. That completely misrepresents the Pit's activities. The primary Pit argument is that allowing disparate opinions, disagreement, and dissent, represents free speech. Such things, for the most part, are neither encouraged nor allowed on most FTB blogs. Yes, there is some allowance for a smallish group of FTB favoured nation states (commenters) to post the occasional superficial disagreement, but outright dissent or fundamental disagreement only ends up in censure (not censor) in one form or another. And that does not reflect free speech, nor, for that matter, free thought.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Sunder wrote:Magic is a great game if you have an infinitely deep wallet. Its biggest flaw is that it's forever saddled with an awful resource management system that not infrequently ruins games before they've started.
Which is why I introduced a two-stage recovery of tapped mana. But, as it wasn't in The Holy Bible that little, folded, horribly-written rulebook set in 4 pt type, nobody wanted to try it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

John Greg wrote:Most of us do not sit here/there shaking our fists at the FTBullies and shouting cunt randomly while claiming that doing so is free speech. That completely misrepresents the Pit's activities.
Bunch of freeze-peach cunts!

*literally shakes fist randomly*

Reap

Post by Reap »

John Greg wrote:I had forgotten that Reap is one of those people who even though he wants people to read his stuff does things to help ensure that they probably won't, like using really bad punctuation, and refusing to use paragraphs. Doh! Anyway, I found Reap's tale intersting, so here it is, cleaned up (punc and para fixes only):
I’m going to start out making some things very clear, at least to those of you who are not simpletons or already know everything by default. I don’t know Ben Radford very well. I actually met him because of his dispute with Karen Stollznow. In a post defending himself against Karen Stollznow Ben Radford mentioned the following regarding me:
Baxter also states explicitly that Karen falsely accused one of his friends of making inappropriate sexual advances toward her in April 2010: “One time, in the heat of “things,” I mentioned that it would have been hot to see her with another man. She flipped out. Throughout the relationship she claims that I keep bringing it up but in reality she has been the one to keep talking about it. The renegade radio host “Reap” has made fun of me for admitting that that sort of thing can be sexy in the past. While Karen was talking with Reap after SkeptiCal, I received a text that Reap had just propositioned her based on this “interest” of mine. Reap then contacted me and asked why Karen was such a fucking psycho. She had blurted it out to him that I had this interest and he tried to make light of it. His girlfriend witnessed the whole thing. Karen passionately stands by her story that he brought it up. I still find that highly unlikely...”
I think it is important to make the following point: that is an accurate account of events. I will, however, expand on it a little bit, because I have seen Karen claiming to have been a innocent victim, but from my experience Karen is not the type to be a victim. She will do/say anything needed to keep from taking responsibility, and she is vindictive. Karen does not like to be turned down. I reach this conclusion from personal experience.

I have known Matt Baxter for about 7 years, and at one time considered him a close friend. I harbor no ill will towards him. I had only known Karen a short time, maybe a year or two, when the following story took place.

After Skepti-Cal, a group of us met at a local bar for drinks. Karen, myself, and my girlfriend at the time, were seated at one end of the group. At one point Karen said to me, out of the blue, that her boyfriend (now husband) would like to watch her and I having sex. Of course I knew her boyfriend and considered him a good friend. I also knew there was little chance of such a thing ending well and so, instead of saying “no way”, I just made light of the proposition and attempted to carry on with the conversation.

Karen was having none of it. She made a couple more remarks trying to persuade me, but I just let them slide and tried to change the subject. The instant she realized I was not going to take her up on the offer she had made, she became confrontational, to say the least. She became visibly angry with me. I moved to another table to try and diffuse the situation. She then shouted names at me across the table several times. She was obviously pissed and, I would assume, a bit drunk. Karen continued to grow more and more abusive towards me. At times she would get directly in my face to talk shit. Finally my girlfriend and Karen went outside to talk, in hopes things could be smoothed out a bit. Instead Karen began accusing me of being abusive towards my girlfriend. This couldn’t have been further from the truth. My girlfriend confronted Karen about her claims denying there was any truth to them and was told by Karen to “Fuck off”.

At this point Karen was completely out of control. She was fighting with Baxter on the phone, screaming shit at me, and it seemed no one could get her to chill the fuck out. Finally, Karen approached us and informed us she was going to take off with someone else, and said something to the effect of, “you can go to hell”. My interaction with Karen during this entire event was defending myself from her accusations and nothing more. I did not call her names, get in her face, or argue with her about any other subject.

The following day I called Baxter because I wanted to see if he could provide some insight into what the hell had happened, and to make sure there was no misunderstanding about my part in things. During my phone call to Baxter I informed him it was my opinion that his girlfriend was a psycho and possibly an insane maniac. Baxter informed me that Karen had accused me of propositioning her, and had pretty much gave me all the credit for the events the night before. I told Baxter that what Karen had told him was a complete lie, and he told me he didn’t believe Karen’s version of events.

He then went on to explain to me that Karen had some issues that needed to be dealt with. Some of these could best be treated with medication, which Karen was not taking at the time. I assume this to be true, since I have no reason to think Baxter would lie; he has no history of doing so. Baxter also told me he was trying to get Karen some help with her issues, and wanted to work with her on their relationship. Because Baxter was a good friend of mine I left the issue alone. He clearly had strong feelings for Karen and was optimistic they could work things out.

Although I was pissed Karen had been blurting out bullshit about me, and had attempted to turn my friend against me rather than accept the fact I was not willing to follow her directions, I saw no need to keep the dispute going or publicly sharing my side of things. I told Baxter as long as Karen kept her mouth shut, and no more lies were told, I would drop it.

Since that evening Baxter has informed me Karen does not want him to have anything to do with me. If he does, it causes an argument between them, so we no longer keep in contact. Like I said, there are no hard feelings between us. Although I am a bit disappointed in his involvement with Karen’s claim to be a “pure victim” and what appears to be an attempt to play a role for monetary gain.

Karen also has made no contact with my girlfriend or myself. She has never attempted to explain or apologize for any of the things she said or did. I find this very interesting, as most people at least attempt to resolve or explain when they act out in such a way.

Baxter did contact me to ask about a link to Karen’s appearance on my podcast in May of 2011. I updated the podcast link so she could use it in her bio per his request. It has since been removed.

At this point, I would like to make it clear I am in no way saying that Karen Stollznow or Ben Radford are innocent, or guilty, of anything involving their relationship. I wasn’t there, I don’t know anything about it. All I am doing is sharing an experience I had with Karen Stollznow.

Having said that, personally I would question anything that Karen Stollznow says. She obviously has the ability to fabricate whatever story she needs to in order to avoid taking responsibility for her actions. She also does not deal well with rejection. It has in the past caused her to have a meltdown in public. I think it is safe to assume it was not the first time she has acted out in such a way. In my opinion I find it hard to believe that Karen is an innocent victim of Ben Radford’s. I would find it more likely the other way around. I certainly did nothing to deserve the treatment I received from Karen. I was a victim of hers, as were the others who had to deal with her tantrum. If anyone needs to know, my main reasons for writing this are to:

It does not really matter to me which side wins the argument between Ben and Karen, so anyone who wants to claim I am biased should keep that in mind. It bothers me to even need to write this because I would have rather just left it alone.

Sidenote: I think it is safe to assume some individuals may take it upon themselves to twist this account into something that fits their preconceived notions about people without bothering to learn the facts first. It is pathetic that I would need to have such a concern, considering a majority of those people claim to be skeptics, when the fact of the matter is they have become what they hate. In my opinion It would be more productive if they would focus on the common beliefs and values they have with others. If they would work to educate from a position of mutual respect built from a relationship based on those things we have in common, instead of accusing and attacking without knowing any facts, it would be far more productive. It would also display a level of maturity previously missing from the crusade to achieve “social justice” at any cost while waving the flag of ignorance and hypocrisy.

Now. Go through, and do the rest. For the record. I have never claimed, to be a writer. The only reason.... I do write a blog is because people read it , fuck if I know why!
Oh and the fucking editor removes all my paragraphs: when it posts.....I don't know why if you would like to tell me! How to fix that I would be happy to remedy that problem so that you can -get to work editing the rest of my blog posts!!!!&%^$$#$^

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Sunder wrote:Magic is a great game if you have an infinitely deep wallet. Its biggest flaw is that it's forever saddled with an awful resource management system that not infrequently ruins games before they've started.
Which is why I introduced a two-stage recovery of tapped mana. But, as it wasn't in The Holy Bible that little, folded, horribly-written rulebook set in 4 pt type, nobody wanted to try it.
Be fair the game is older than some of the people who play it and established enough that it would be like trying to convince someone to modify the rules of Texas Hold'em.

Not to mention that Rules Lawyering is a Herculean feat unto itself in that game.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Reap wrote:
John Greg wrote:I had forgotten that Reap is one of those people who even though he wants people to read his stuff does things to help ensure that they probably won't, like using really bad punctuation, and refusing to use paragraphs. Doh! Anyway, I found Reap's tale intersting, so here it is, cleaned up (punc and para fixes only):

Now. Go through, and do the rest. For the record. I have never claimed, to be a writer. The only reason.... I do write a blog is because people read it , fuck if I know why!
Oh and the fucking editor removes all my paragraphs: when it posts.....I don't know why if you would like to tell me! How to fix that I would be happy to remedy that problem so that you can -get to work editing the rest of my blog posts!!!!&%^$$#$^
Is your page expecting some markup to signal the paragraphs? It could be it is simply chomping empty lines because it doesn't know they are line breaks.

Southern

Post by Southern »

If nobody else is going to, I'll act as the annoying fanboy and ask, "Do more Interviews With PZ!".

Seriously, those two you did crack me up every time, Reap. Specially the "Atheism plus and assynchronous menstrual cycles" one.

EdwardGemmer

Post by EdwardGemmer »

One thing I don't understand - if the crazy stuff happened in 2010, why was she on the podcast in 2011?

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

AndrewV69 wrote: Because she is Amanda Marcotte. Here Marcotte makes the case that a story about a Pennsylvania Teen Convicted Of A Crime For Recording Bullies At School is just like how we deal with rape culture.
With bullying, you’re facing basically the same problem you have when it comes to rape culture. Everyone flaps their gums about how bad rape is, but when the rubber hits the road, a whole bunch of people side with rapists against rape victims refuse to ditch due process and the presumption of innocence in favor of lynching by internet.
Like I said. It is Marcotte man. Just back away. Slowly.
FTFY

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Wordpress drops hard line breaks all the time, so I resort to sticking in underscores.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Linus wrote:Violating mana integrity because white and black are opposing colors? That's dumb. I used to play Pestilence and COP Black way back in the day.
Because White is "good" and Black "evil." But these folks were deep into the backstory -- one couple were planning a Magic-themed wedding. Dude I lost to had spent over $200 on his deck. I was just there on a lark and as a favor to the hostess, my friend.
You got too early to the lambada, Matt. Nowdays, Black and White are social-justice aware and they go along pretty well together. In fact, they now have some sexy characters representing them:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Im ... &type=card

Also, one of the most hated cards from the past years is White with a Black cost:

Then there's the Orzhov Church, the corrupt White/Black guild from the Ravnica block. It's totally in canon, dude.

Wow, that's some useless nerd stuff. Shameful.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Southern wrote:
If nobody else is going to, I'll act as the annoying fanboy and ask, "Do more Interviews With PZ!".

Seriously, those two you did crack me up every time, Reap. Specially the "Atheism plus and assynchronous menstrual cycles" one.
Funny I got complaints that I was doing that bit too much. BUT now that I have a request I'll see if I can't put something together

acathode

Post by acathode »

So wait? On top of having a history of domestic violence, KS is also a sexual harasser*? Well, seems the SJW found a perfect poster child for their social justice crusade this time...

*At least it would be considered harassment by the SJWs, if the genders were reversed and it was a man pestering a woman to have sex while the man's GF was watching...

Really?

Post by Really? »

Reap wrote:
Southern wrote:

Funny I got complaints that I was doing that bit too much. BUT now that I have a request I'll see if I can't put something together
Mega pouncetugs for sharing your story. It was very brave of you to come forward. I hope that she doesn't dump protein powder on your head or bite you.

I love that Baxter is apparently telling EVERYONE that Stollzy is a lunatic. Textbook downbeaten spouse. As Lousy Canuck might say, "bitchez be crazy."

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

If I was going to post something snotty and condescending about another person's writing, I'd probably check my spelling in case I looked like a dick.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Hi Reap. I'm very much interested in seeing another man have sex with my non-psycho girlfriend. Please PM me for further details.

Moving on:
http://www.bitbroken.com/wp-content/upl ... opcorn.gif

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Southern wrote: You got too early to the lambada, Matt. Nowdays, Black and White are social-justice aware and they go along pretty well together....
I last played Magic around 1995.

Intersectional monsters, huh?

Squad Leader nerds were just as bad. Rules books 100+ pages long, for chrissakes. For my own amusement, I analyzed the 2d6 odds for SL's 50-odd different weapon types (50L, 50LL, 88L, 105HE, etc.) and found most were nearly identical and could be reduced to maybe a dozen groupings. Same for all the D&D rolls -- I converted all those to 8 or 9 columns for 1d20.

But if the nerds can't best you at memorizing all this arcana, then they got nuthin.'

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

Something wrote:Former RuPaul contestant on the SJW objections:

So.....drag queens are the new heroes of Freeze Peach, and Fox is taking a dump on PZ for supposedly advocating censorship and calling conservative students "assholes" and "assholes in training".

Sometimes life is just too amusing. Tuesdays always were a little odd for me, but in a good way.

Here's another Drag Race link, where Bianca Del Rio takes down a whiner presuming to represent "the Latino Community".

I need to hang out with drag queens more often. Seems like a fun crowd.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Southern wrote: You got too early to the lambada, Matt. Nowdays, Black and White are social-justice aware and they go along pretty well together....
I last played Magic around 1995.

Intersectional monsters, huh?

Squad Leader nerds were just as bad. Rules books 100+ pages long, for chrissakes. For my own amusement, I analyzed the 2d6 odds for SL's 50-odd different weapon types (50L, 50LL, 88L, 105HE, etc.) and found most were nearly identical and could be reduced to maybe a dozen groupings. Same for all the D&D rolls -- I converted all those to 8 or 9 columns for 1d20.

But if the nerds can't best you at memorizing all this arcana, then they got nuthin.'
Rolemaster! Rolemaster! (And the old, FGU red book of Chivalry and Sorcery - I can actually say I just about understood the magic system, once...)

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

18-year-old male student asks Miss America to prom during school assembly
Amanda Marcotte considers it sexual harassment.

Attachments
ScreenHunter_310 Apr. 22 16.28.jpg
(53.27 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Perhaps the youngest and cutest atheist ever... Clearly influenced by the "new atheism" movement given how vocal she is in her opposition to religion.

[youtube]bMtpXU76iBY[/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

nippletwister wrote:

So.....drag queens are the new heroes of Freeze Peach, and Fox is taking a dump on PZ for supposedly advocating censorship and calling conservative students "assholes" and "assholes in training".

Sometimes life is just too amusing. Tuesdays always were a little odd for me, but in a good way.

Here's another Drag Race link, where Bianca Del Rio takes down a whiner presuming to represent "the Latino Community".

I need to hang out with drag queens more often. Seems like a fun crowd.
I didn't understand everything she said, but I can definitely see how drag queens are WAY fucking more fun to be around that Watson and their ilk. Instead of crumbling into a sobbing (or drunken) mess when they get criticism...even unfair criticism, they just shake it off or calmly explain their reasoning.

I think it's because drag queens actually HAVE suffered a little bit. Unlike Svan, they know what it's like to be marginalized and how to enjoy life on their own terms.

spiffigt

Post by spiffigt »

nippletwister wrote:

I blame the fact that Buffy the Vampire Slayer was aired on tuesdays.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

+1 for Dominion

nippletwister

Post by nippletwister »

didymos wrote:OK, since I apparently have to, I'll point out that that image was a parody of a Jezebel article.

That tumblr is fucking awesome. And that is a phrase I never thought would flow from my fingers.

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/tagged/so ... icekittens

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Apropos of nothing, I am posting this:

John D

Post by John D »

justinvacula wrote:18-year-old male student asks Miss America to prom during school assembly
Excellent. This whole story is a giant troll fest. Story goes like this.

1) Miss America is gonna talk about science at a high school
2) A male student says he is going to ask her to the prom
3) The school administration hears about his scheme and tells him not to do it
4) He does it anyway
5) He gets a three day suspension for disrupting a school assembly (-20 troll point for being stodgy puritans)
6) Media shitstorm claims he was suspended for asking a cute question (+10 troll points to the kid for being overly punished for being a typical boy)
7) Miss America comes out two days later and asks the school to not punish the kid (+15 troll points for being a strong woman who understands that boys will be boys)
8) Marcotte tweets (+5 troll points for explaining that boys are really rapists)

In my assessment, Miss America is the winner of the most troll points in this exchange. Score one win for the hot-nerd Asian chick. She has a future. Well played Miss America.... well played!

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

justinvacula wrote:18-year-old male student asks Miss America to prom during school assembly

Yet another instance where Amanda Marcotte proves she's absolutely fucking insane. Asking someone out to a school dance is sexual harassment?

:text-nocomment:

Really?

Post by Really? »

John D wrote:
Excellent. This whole story is a giant troll fest. Story goes like this.

1) Miss America is gonna talk about science at a high school
2) A male student says he is going to ask her to the prom
3) The school administration hears about his scheme and tells him not to do it
4) He does it anyway
5) He gets a three day suspension for disrupting a school assembly (-20 troll point for being stodgy puritans)
6) Media shitstorm claims he was suspended for asking a cute question (+10 troll points to the kid for being overly punished for being a typical boy)
7) Miss America comes out two days later and asks the school to not punish the kid (+15 troll points for being a strong woman who understands that boys will be boys)
8) Marcotte tweets (+5 troll points for explaining that boys are really rapists)

In my assessment, Miss America is the winner of the most troll points in this exchange. Score one win for the hot-nerd Asian chick. She has a future. Well played Miss America.... well played!
By Marcotte Logicâ„¢, Carrie Underwood is a child predator molester rapist.

[youtube]K9xqkXYiHog[/youtube]

HE'S ONLY TWELVE, YOU PERVERT! WHO ARE YOU? OGVORBIS?!?!? I just...I can't...I...I...grrrr...

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

CuntajusRationality wrote:Perhaps the youngest and cutest atheist ever... Clearly influenced by the "new atheism" movement given how vocal she is in her opposition to religion.

[.youtube]bMtpXU76iBY[/youtube]
Speaking as someone who remembers being that age my guess is that she is objecting to the song itself. If her Mom could sing better ...

[youtube]IEKXt2EfyLQ[/youtube]