Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by DownThunder »

ELLLLLLLIOT, YOU IIIIIIIDIOT!

Bonus points for the reference.

John D

Post by John D »

deLurch wrote:
John D wrote:Oh, this ought to be good. The Feds are investigating 55 major US Universities trying to determine Title IX violations. Title IX is the law that requires equal access for women to sports programs and protection from sexual discrimination. Let the witch hunt begin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu ... story.html
Scary graphics that make no fucking sense.

And really. At this point in time, whenever an article discusses "sexual assault" they need to be explicit as to what they are talking about. Heck, they could even be talking about two drunk people having sex, but being completely happy about it afterwards.
The claim is that 1 in 5 college women are victims of sexual assault. This is often changed to 1 in 5 college women are raped as reported in the media. I have read the report that the 20% is based on. Most sexual assaults are between people who know each other. If someone gives you an unwanted kiss it is considered assault....so... at least some of these sexual assaults are the result of a woman's boyfriend kissing her when she didn't want him to. Yep. Good science!

Quiz

Post by Quiz »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Quiz wrote:So it looks like The Amazing Atheists friend brought up Shermergate in his podcast. So the chat narrowed it down to someone who is a youtuber, but they did not confirm it. Skip to 1:57:00

[youtube]_FDWbTmMZvM[/youtube]
So is that chat log still available?
I don't know, even if there was, I wouldn't know how to get them.

John D

Post by John D »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
John D wrote:Oh, this ought to be good. The Feds are investigating 55 major US Universities trying to determine Title IX violations. Title IX is the law that requires equal access for women to sports programs and protection from sexual discrimination. Let the witch hunt begin.

It's just a list of the schools currently being investigated, right? Or am I misreading it?

(In other words, business as usual, except for the list having been publicized, yes?)
There has never been such a broad investigation of so many universities. The administrators at these Unis must be scared as shit. They are holding a hot potato with this one. If they get aggressive in enforcing social rules and start believing the victims they will start getting in trouble with male students. There is already a lawsuit from a man that was suspended simply because a woman made an accusation. On the other hand, if the admins do too little the liberal SJWs will eat them for lunch.

The University administration deserves all the grief they get. They have been buckling under to SJWs for years. Now they get to fry.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:

It's just a list of the schools currently being investigated, right? Or am I misreading it?

(In other words, business as usual, except for the list having been publicized, yes?)
In my view Universities actively incubated and fostered the attitudes and worldview that is now biting their ass. Been a long time coming and richly earned.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

John D wrote:The claim is that 1 in 5 college women are victims of sexual assault. This is often changed to 1 in 5 college women are raped as reported in the media. I have read the report that the 20% is based on. Most sexual assaults are between people who know each other. If someone gives you an unwanted kiss it is considered assault....so... at least some of these sexual assaults are the result of a woman's boyfriend kissing her when she didn't want him to. Yep. Good science!
From the report
http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/docume ... sault/960/
Whitehouse report Page 7 wrote:Many survivors of acquaintance rape don't call what happened to them rape

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Ninjaed by John D ... fuck!

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

This is all silliness. If a student mugs another student, the school isn't expected to figure things out. It gets reported to the police.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

John D wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:

There has never been such a broad investigation of so many universities.
That's what I'm confused about. My understanding is that all the investigations were triggered by Title IX complaints by students. The feds are obligated to investigate such complaints, as I assume has been the case for many years.

Why is this news? As far as I can tell, the only "new" thing here is that the list of ongoing investigations of this particular type has been publicized. Do we know how many such investigations are usually ongoing? Is 55 abnormally high?

justinvacula

Activism update

Post by justinvacula »

My protest of the National Day of Prayer event went well. Below are some photos. I will write about my experiences -- particularly City of Wilkes-Barre shenanigans [ of placing the FFRF banner behind the NDOP banner in an obscured, out of sight position, tomorrow. A local news story should also be released with my comments/thoughts on the event.
Attachments
10314559_10152089836214327_5973798503552055933_n.jpg
(59.65 KiB) Downloaded 277 times
10291332_10152089836589327_5822716952253676638_n.jpg
(58.72 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
10171785_10152090111959327_7331729821635674209_n.jpg
(66.56 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Guestus Aurelius

And honestly I'm surprised the number of ongoing investigations of that type isn't higher than 55. Three reasons:

1. I don't expect administrations to be able or particularly motivated to competently handle allegations of sexual violence;

2. I fully expect a subset of accusers to be dissatisfied regardless of other variables;

3. these investigations can remain ongoing for several years (as evidenced by the released data).

Guestus Aurelius

Er...

3. these investigations can remain ongoing for several years (as evidenced by the released data).

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

SoylentAtheist wrote:This is all silliness. If a student mugs another student, the school isn't expected to figure things out. It gets reported to the police.
Yep. This is one of the major ideological points of difference between myself and social justice warriors. I have no interest in special updated social justice rules of conduct and this other bullshit. If someone commits a crime against you -anywhere- you are supposed to call the cops. University inquiry boards have no more right to rule on the guilt or innocence of an accused rapist than a fucking Kindergarten teacher.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

It's okay guys, Sarah Jones is on the case.
What this investigation needs is a more pious angle, I think we can all agree on that.

Guestus Aurelius

4. There are a lot more than 55 colleges and universities under a legal obligation to comply with Title IX. Can't find a list anywhere, but it should be equivalent to the a list of schools that receive federal financial assistance. Anyone know where such a list might be found?

katamari Damassi

Re: Activism update

Post by katamari Damassi »

justinvacula wrote:My protest of the National Day of Prayer event went well. Below are some photos. I will write about my experiences -- particularly City of Wilkes-Barre shenanigans [ of placing the FFRF banner behind the NDOP banner in an obscured, out of sight position, tomorrow. A local news story should also be released with my comments/thoughts on the event.
Good on ya Justin. I spent part of my life in Pittston, so I know how conservative that area is.

Reap

Post by Reap »

justinvacula wrote:My protest of the National Day of Prayer event went well. Below are some photos. I will write about my experiences -- particularly City of Wilkes-Barre shenanigans [ of placing the FFRF banner behind the NDOP banner in an obscured, out of sight position, tomorrow. A local news story should also be released with my comments/thoughts on the event.
Damn activists

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu ... aphic.html

Confusing graphic, as the commenters there so aptly cover. Takes a few minutes to figure out.

Once that's done, the bottom cluster suggests that to reduce risk women might be well-advised to attend frat parties either (a) never or (b) at least once a month, but not (c) any frequency in between those 2. Interesting. One can muse as to why that would be.

And, to reduce risk, when attending such parties they should use caution with alcohol or drugs. (Actually, the graphic is unclear on whether "alcohol/drug-enabled sexual assault" means the assaultee, or the assaultor, or both, partook of the substance, or whether all of these were lumped into the one category.)

[Insert here the standard claim that women, and perhaps people in general, shouldn't have to take measures like this as a safeguard.]

Also, from the 2nd cluster down, that they should leave college after freshman year (sophomore at the latest), before the risk rises in subsequent years. (Ok, the graph does show correlation but don't assume causation other than probably more partying, more access to alcohol in later years.)

Sarlug

Post by Sarlug »

deLurch wrote:
Mykeru wrote:I've found the most pointless perhaps POE on Twatter:
Ah, RobotAnna. I was doing a little research about the time of the start of Shit Reddit Says in conjunction with the timing of Elevatorgate, looking to see if that cultural influence had a bit to do with how Rebecca Watson started behaving. RobotAnna comes up prominately in the SRS story. Let's just say she has a lot of hate for her former self. Think A+ on steroids.
Who was her former self? I know she's trans, but is she an ex-Nazi or something.

Sarlug

Post by Sarlug »

Sarlug wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Mykeru wrote:I've found the most pointless perhaps POE on Twatter:
Ah, RobotAnna. I was doing a little research about the time of the start of Shit Reddit Says in conjunction with the timing of Elevatorgate, looking to see if that cultural influence had a bit to do with how Rebecca Watson started behaving. RobotAnna comes up prominately in the SRS story. Let's just say she has a lot of hate for her former self. Think A+ on steroids.
Who was her former self? I know she's trans, but is she an ex-Nazi or something.
Err, replace that last period with a question mark.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Sulman wrote:It's okay guys, Sarah Jones is on the case.
What this investigation needs is a more pious angle, I think we can all agree on that.
I believe she's captain of the school's, Women's Scowling Team.

Does she have a photo of herself where she doesn't look like she's smelling shit?

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

Skep tickle wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu ... aphic.html

Confusing graphic, as the commenters there so aptly cover. Takes a few minutes to figure out.

Once that's done, the bottom cluster suggests that to reduce risk women might be well-advised to attend frat parties either (a) never or (b) at least once a month, but not (c) any frequency in between those 2. Interesting. One can muse as to why that would be.

And, to reduce risk, when attending such parties they should use caution with alcohol or drugs. (Actually, the graphic is unclear on whether "alcohol/drug-enabled sexual assault" means the assaultee, or the assaultor, or both, partook of the substance, or whether all of these were lumped into the one category.)

[Insert here the standard claim that women, and perhaps people in general, shouldn't have to take measures like this as a safeguard.]

Also, from the 2nd cluster down, that they should leave college after freshman year (sophomore at the latest), before the risk rises in subsequent years. (Ok, the graph does show correlation but don't assume causation other than probably more partying, more access to alcohol in later years.)
They're also rather limited in terms of just talking about frat parties. It's not like that's the only type of binge drinking that happens in the college crowd. What about bars/nightclubs? Is that included in frat parties?

Personally, I see binge drinking as its own type of subculture. And if people want to say that atheism, as an example has a sexual assault problem then fine. But that means that the binge drinking subculture has a sexual assault...plague going on. Obviously something needs to be done about that.

And I figure that anything they do is going to be about as effective as trying to cool down the sun.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

When I was 17 I sat an entrance exam for Clare College, Cambridge. I failed spectacularly, but I heard a story that I believe comes from a real entrance exam.

The question posed on a Philosophy paper was this:

"Is this a question?"

Let's say twenty minutes was allocated to write an essay in response to the question. It was said that the best answer ever submitted was this:

'If that is a question, then this is the answer."

Now watch this clip from 3.16, ignoring the slightly whiffy 'this is bullshit' tautology.

Jonathan M refers to some research papers. Gracefully and without any form of effort PZ Myers is able to solve the defining mystery of the universe. He is able to set concrete limits for epistemology, when he says:

"This isn't a real question."

PZ Myers is certain that there are some questions which are unreal. Those questions must be unanswerable. In epistemological terms, 'knowability is limited' meaning that there are some ideas, thoughts or concepts which are definitely unknowable. The word 'God' can and is used as a metaphor for the unknowable. It must then follow that, despite all his protestations to the contrary, he believes in God.

For me this is a somewhat startling theological diagnosis. I am grateful to Andrew Brown at the Guardian for bringing to my attention the religious concept of 'taint' (c.f. my phrase 'slightly whiffy' above). It was only when I looked into it and I came to the conclusion that it is distinctly 'odd' for someone who professes to be an atheist to use a theological concept to press his points with such vigour. It was only when I realised that he was using the social stigmatisation of 'anal rape' jokes that I really got angry with him. Stigmatisation is hatred in another form, and we should all stand up to the fascists when we can.

In closing, this may well be my final epistle to the Slymepit, I wish you all well. Apologies are due to Brive who I called a 'complete cunt', because of an overly close connection on my part to a particularly sensitive subject. I should have said he was using a 'completely cuntish' argument.

Parting is such sweet sorrow
That I shall say good night till it be morrow.

Pogsurf

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Pogsurf wrote:I've decided to randomly doxx this guy, just for shits and giggles.

Mr Dave Sprocket
49 Arcacia Gardens
Hedley-cum-Chorten
Norfolkshire
HD12 3PQ

01923 237114
(don't ring after 9pm)

Interests: gardening, collector of rare clay pipes
Not nice to dox the elevator-gate guy.
This happens to be best comment ever made on and blog or forum ever. You are still a bit of a cunt though, for not noticing that my victim has somewhat more colour than RW's pallid stalker. You can build on firm foundations, that's the difference.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

It all makes sense when you think of Anders as a toilet.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Fuck! I came back. Fuck.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Way to show the flag - kudos.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote: I believe she's captain of the school's, Women's Scowling Team.
:lol:

They need a Title X just for her complaints.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Skep tickle wrote:http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/edu ... aphic.html

My reaction from yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=393&p=182355&hilit=alcohol#p182355

Sorry for the vanity repost:
JacquesCuze wrote:A few days ago, the White House Task Force to Protect Students From Sexual Assault released its first report.

http://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1 ... ssault.pdf
NOT ALONE
The First Report of the White House Task Force to
Protect Students From Sexual Assault
Excellent critiques can be found

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/origina ... _war_.html
http://www.thefire.org/fire-responds-to ... l-assault/

What struck me when I read the report is the recognition of how much alcohol and drugs plays a role in these assaults. It also states most of these happen to women who are almost certainly under the legal age of drinking.
**One in five women is sexually assaulted while in college.** Most often, it happens her freshman or sophomore year. In the great majority of cases (75-80%), she knows her attacker, whether as an acquaintance, classmate, friend or (ex)boyfriend. Many are survivors of what’s called “incapacitated assault”: they are sexually abused while drugged, drunk, passed out, or otherwise incapacitated. And although fewer and harder to gauge, college men, too, are victimized.
And yet, nowhere in the report, not even in the section titled "Preventing Sexual Assault on Campus" is there any discussion whatsoever of reducing alcohol or drugs amongst these college women.

Page 9
II. Preventing Sexual Assault on Campus

**Participants in our listening sessions roundly urged the Task Force to make prevention a top priority. Some even suggested that if prevention and education efforts don’t start earlier, it’s too late by the time students get to college. While we certainly agree that this work should begin early, the college years, too, are formative. During this transition to adulthood, attitudes and behaviors are created or reinforced by peer groups. And students look to coaches, professors, administrators, and other campus leaders to set the tone. If we get this right, today’s students will leave college knowing that sexual assault is simply unacceptable. And that, in itself, can create a sea change.**

Federal law now requires schools to provide sexual assault prevention and awareness programs. To help colleges and universities in this endeavor, we are providing schools with new guidance and tools.

+ Best practices for better prevention. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) conducted a systematic review of primary prevention strategies for reducing sexual violence, and is releasing an advance summary of its findings. CDC’s review summarizes some of the best available research in the area, and highlights evidence- based prevention strategies that work, some that are promising, and – importantly – those that don’t work. The report points to steps colleges can take now to prevent sexual assault on their campuses.

Among other things, CDC’s review shows that effective programs are those that are sustained (not brief, one-shot educational programs), comprehensive, and address the root individual, relational and societal causes of sexual assault. It also includes a listing of prevention programs being used by colleges and universities across the country, so schools can better compare notes about effective and encouraging approaches. 13

+ Getting everyone to step in: bystander intervention. Among the most promising prevention strategies – and one we heard a lot about in our listening sessions – is bystander intervention. Social norms research reveals that men often misperceive what other men think about this issue: they overestimate their peers’ acceptance of sexual assault and underestimate other men’s willingness to intervene when a woman is in trouble. And when men think their peers don’t object to abusive behavior, they are much less likely to step in and help. Programs like Bringing in the Bystander work to change those perspectives – and teach men (and women) to speak out against rape myths (e.g., women who drink at parties are “asking for it”) and to intervene if someone is at risk of being assaulted.

o To help enlist men as allies, we are releasing a Public Service Announcement featuring President Obama, Vice President Biden, and celebrity actors. The message of the PSA is simple: if she doesn’t consent – or can’t consent – it’s a crime. And if you see it happening, help her, don’t blame her, speak up.
o To help keep these conversations going, we are providing a basic factsheet on bystander intervention.

+ Developing new prevention strategies. More research is needed to develop and evaluate evidence-based programming to prevent sexual violence on campus. And so:

o In Fall 2014, the CDC, in collaboration with the Justice Department’s Office on Violence Against Women and the Department of Education, will convene a panel of experts to identify emerging, promising practices to prevent sexual assault on campus.
o The Justice Department’s Office on Violence Against Women (OVW) is developing a multi-year initiative on campus sexual assault which, among other things, will test and evaluate prevention programs used by its campus grantees.
o In 2015, the CDC will solicit proposals to identify, and fill, gaps in the research
on sexual violence prevention.
Now as I've said, to be a hip young modern feminist means to award feminist karma points and unlock achievements for alcoholism, binge drinking and blackout periods. To be a hard partier.

But I am struck by how the section on Preventing Sexual Assault on Campus, the entire report actually, is completely aimed at having men taking responsibility for the women. Not asking the women to take a single step to protect themselves.

And especially not demanding the colleges crack down on underage drinking and drug consumption.

It's all just a given. We mustn't demand our undergrads act like responsible adult members of society. We cannot crack down on alcohol abuse. We mustn't slut shame women. We cannot even in the name of preventing sexual assault recommend a reduction in the alcohol culture (much less the booty call culture.)

I got my undergraduate degree in the early 80s at a private school where Wednesday afternoon kegs were mandatory, Friday and Weekend parties occurred all the time, and where weed openly was cultivated in the courtyard, and yet, the alcohol abuse that I read about at campuses now would have put us to shame.

So yes, I am confused how Biden's report can so easily skip over the obvious: campuses need to crack down on underage drinking. And jeez, I think that would also help in graduation rates, shortening time to graduate, raising grades, and reducing the overall drama and trauma so many people (women) report from college.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Pogsurf wrote:Fuck! I came back. Fuck.
Just how I felt after my last reincarnation as the Dealy Lama...

James Caruthers

Pognaji, I didn't realize it was you! I should have known from your posting style.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

I so want to be there, this is real history in the making. Somehow I've got to justify the airfare to my wife. I couldn't even afford a $1 for Radford.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

It's over £600 for fucks sake. Where do I get hold of that sort of wonga?

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Lsuoma wrote:
Isn't that where they shot Kennedy?

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Pogsurf wrote:It's over £600 for fucks sake. Where do I get hold of that sort of wonga?
https://www.indiegogo.com/

However to make a real go of it you must either claim to be an abuse victim, make claims of internet harassment, or dance like a hobo for his dinner a-la-Vacula.

But seriously not worth it. There are people in that city that won't bother to show up to see Myers speak because it isn't worth the drive. I can assure you that nothing of interest will occur. Myers will simply have a public wank with the audience who thinks he is nice enough to see.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Lsuoma wrote:
Didn't you kick out the JAM's? Motherfucker.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:<snip>
My reaction from yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=393&p=182355&hilit=alcohol#p182355

Sorry for the vanity repost:
JacquesCuze wrote:A few days ago, the White House Task Force to Protect Students From Sexual Assault released its first report.

<snip>

Excellent critiques can be found

http://www.mindingthecampus.com/origina ... _war_.html
http://www.thefire.org/fire-responds-to ... l-assault/

What struck me when I read the report is the recognition of how much alcohol and drugs plays a role in these assaults. It also states most of these happen to women who are almost certainly under the legal age of drinking.

<quote snipped>

I got my undergraduate degree in the early 80s at a private school where Wednesday afternoon kegs were mandatory, Friday and Weekend parties occurred all the time, and where weed openly was cultivated in the courtyard, and yet, the alcohol abuse that I read about at campuses now would have put us to shame.

So yes, I am confused how Biden's report can so easily skip over the obvious: campuses need to crack down on underage drinking. And jeez, I think that would also help in graduation rates, shortening time to graduate, raising grades, and reducing the overall drama and trauma so many people (women) report from college.
Yes, I read this and appreciated it (silently). It wasn't until today that the discussion I was hearing on the radio became more nuanced than just "must protect women from men!" - seemed largely due to the news about significant increase in #s of sexual assaults reported in the US military in the past year, see for example:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/01/politics/ ... x-assault/
CNN reporter wrote:... Hagel said victims of sexual assault are "not only human beings, they are fellow soldiers, sailors and Marines. We cannot let them down. ...
Not sure if this was said with male victims in mind, but in the spirit of generous interpretation let's say it wasn't - that it was meant to refer to people regardless of gender who report sexual assault. Then IMO this seems more "feminist" (in the dictionary definition of equality) than talk that assumes that women are victims and need protection.
CNN reporter wrote:.... The report also calls for a review of alcohol policies and highlights an effort to improve levels of reporting for male victims, long thought to be an under-reported demographic. ...
Sure to elicit cries of "oh sure, what about the menz" from the usual suspects, but if the point is really to figure out the extent of the problem and its root causes, IMO these are important considerations.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Pogsurf wrote:It's over £600 for fucks sake. Where do I get hold of that sort of wonga?

However to make a real go of it you must either claim to be an abuse victim, make claims of internet harassment, or dance like a hobo for his dinner a-la-Vacula.

But seriously not worth it. There are people in that city that won't bother to show up to see Myers speak because it isn't worth the drive. I can assure you that nothing of interest will occur. Myers will simply have a public wank with the audience who thinks he is nice enough to see.
Oh, I don't know. At least 4 'Pitters live in the Seattle area, and while PZ may know what 2 of us look like, I don't think he knows what the other 2 look like. Just about any member of the audience could be a 'Pitter and PZ wouldn't know it. And there's usually a Q&A after these talks, hmm. :whistle:

For me one barrier would be paying the $5 since it may add to his cut and/or to the judgment by Town Hall or U Bookstore as to his popularity as a speaker. (I wouldn't be buying a copy of his book, so wouldn't contribute to the "take" that way.)

Also, Boghossian is speaking in the same venue 2 days later; I'd much prefer to go to his talk.

Reap

Post by Reap »

Skep tickle wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote:

Oh, I don't know. At least 4 'Pitters live in the Seattle area, and while PZ may know what 2 of us look like, I don't think he knows what the other 2 look like. Just about any member of the audience could be a 'Pitter and PZ wouldn't know it. And there's usually a Q&A after these talks, hmm. :whistle:

For me one barrier would be paying the $5 since it may add to his cut and/or to the judgment by Town Hall or U Bookstore as to his popularity as a speaker. (I wouldn't be buying a copy of his book, so wouldn't contribute to the "take" that way.)

Also, Boghossian is speaking in the same venue 2 days later; I'd much prefer to go to his talk.
That's a good call- Peter is way more interesting and intelligent than PZ could ever hope to be... even if he lived to be 400 years old.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Just snagged tickets to see Neil deGrasse Tyson in Seattle in September. Speaking of interesting, intelligent people... The venue for his talk seats 2,800 people. Tickets sold out right away (in a few hours, I think) a few days ago, then a 2nd day was added on and now ~14 hours after those tickets went on sale it looks like the venue is almost sold out a 2nd time over. He's one of the rock stars of popular science. :)

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Skep tickle wrote:Just snagged tickets to see Neil deGrasse Tyson in Seattle in September. Speaking of interesting, intelligent people... The venue for his talk seats 2,800 people. Tickets sold out right away (in a few hours, I think) a few days ago, then a 2nd day was added on and now ~14 hours after those tickets went on sale it looks like the venue is almost sold out a 2nd time over. He's one of the rock stars of popular science. :)
My husband has a mancrush on him.
another lurker wrote:I don't care if you got three babies
You can work the stick in my Mercedes
I hope that is a real song.
Old_ones wrote:More FTB lulz from the lounge thread:

Akira MacKenzie
1 May 2014 at 12:18 am (UTC -5) Link to this comment
I was cleaning out my pig sty of a room today, when one of my bookshelves collapsed. In the shuffle to find new shelves for my books, DVDs, and boxed games I came upon a few well-known titles written by Professor Muslima and Dr. Byclcle Shorts. I’m in a bit of quandary as to what to do with them. Should I…

1. Keep them on the grounds that their written work has no bearing on the terrible people they seem to be?

2. Donate them to the local library?

3. Perform a PZ-style book burial and return their atoms to the earth?

I also have some the Amazing Skeptic’s books as well, and since he doesn’t seem to want to ride herd over the assholes who run the organization that bears his name, I’m wondering if I should ditch those too.

Any thoughts?
A PZ style book burning burial. Hmm. They sure don't make freethought the way they used to.
A New Zealander who associates with people I know burned a copy of Richard Dawkins God Delusion and made a big deal of it on Twitter. So cathartic after all the rape he gave people after Elevatorgate. It remains one of the most fucked up things I've seen a "freethinker/skeptic" do. It's just fucking perverse.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Sulman wrote:It's okay guys, Sarah Jones is on the case.
I believe she's captain of the school's, Women's Scowling Team.

Does she have a photo of herself where she doesn't look like she's smelling shit?
Of course she doesn't. she is too busy breathing in all the internet feminism she can which indecently is made of pure bullshit.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Well, yes: the thought of freely thinking that burning books is ok, nay, a good thing. Where have we seen that before...

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

btw members here will be entitled to 25% discount off of a signed copy. See linky thing for details.

http://pogsurf.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/a ... -2014.html

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Well, yes: the thought of freely thinking that burning books is ok, nay, a good thing. Where have we seen that before...
You know what? If you are burning your own book, that you purchased yourself, you didn't take it out of a school, you didn't take it away from a library, it is still available for purchase new... have at it. Go ahead. It is your property.

But if you go after my books, or the library's, or the schools... that is when we have an issue.

Books used to be much more valuable. Now they are just a download away.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

The fantastic journalists at the BBC are having another crack at this feminism thing with a new documentary on BBC 2. Weather or not it will fair or impartial I dont know, weather they will accutally do some research this time I dont know. What I do know is that they have used an image of that well know feminist and scam artist Anita Sarkesian.

My lords, Ladies, Gentlemen and general numbnuts. If the BBC dont once mention the amount of money she has been "Donated" for her kick starter and what she has done with it I can only assume that the BBC is sexist. I am fairly certain how this will go. They will wheel out a group of profesional victims telling us how poor they are and then have some annonymous troll, probably Oolon again, make dumb assed comments instead of doing proper research.

James Caruthers

The journalists working for Big Black Cock are having another crack at this feminism thing? Sounds like it might work!

Oh, you mean those British guys who basically lap up the feminist Kool-Aid with a straw every time a social justice wanker tells them something obviously untrue or exaggerated.

THAT BBC.

Yeah, I don't hold high hopes.

Pogsurf

Post by Pogsurf »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Well, yes: the thought of freely thinking that burning books is ok, nay, a good thing. Where have we seen that before...
You know what? If you are burning your own book, that you purchased yourself, you didn't take it out of a school, you didn't take it away from a library, it is still available for purchase new... have at it. Go ahead. It is your property.

But if you go after my books, or the library's, or the schools... that is when we have an issue.

Peter Hitchens made a ceremony of burning his bible, I can respect that. Myers burn his in a bin, he's a tosser. If you don't understand symbolism you lead a very poor life. Exciting for you but dull as fuck for inquisitive people who can't get away from you, and who you constantly shit on.

Coyne asked the question: would Myers burn a Torah? Myers never answered this because he doesn't know why he wants to destroy things. At least Thor has a thunderbolt and directs his anger when he is smiting.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Blanche Quizno has several comments at the end of the thread at Benson's rant about Damion's Skeptic Ink post, in which Blanche reports on what ads she sees on FtB and comes to the realization that almost all the people in them are white. Her reaction includes "Ugh. Ugh. Ugh." and "I’m leaving now…" - though it's unclear to me whether the disgust was directed at herself or at the site.

Could be herself, because earlier in the thread Zvan had impressed upon aweraw & everyone in a 50 mile radius that the ads you see there are based on your viewing history so anything you see that you don't like was brought upon you by your sinful ways is your own damn fault - so perhaps Blanche was going off to do penance.)

Blanche's comments pointed something out to me. PZ and Benson were upset about the gender of the people in the clothed vs. unclothed depictions in the art show. But what about the fact that just about everyone pictured was white? (as far as has been mentioned, with NdGT being the one exception I recall hearing about) Three white nude people, many white clothed people, and only a rare non-white person. Hmmm.

And, of course, probably everyone depicted appeared to be reasonably well-off (enough to eat, at least). And most of the people depicted were probably able-bodied (with exceptions possibly including Hawking). And most of the people depicted had had the privilege of advanced education, though most people in the world do not. And so on.

Tsk, tsk.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

http://anthonybsusan.wordpress.com/2013 ... niversity/

[tweet][/tweet]

Sara Jones attended the fundamentalist Christian college Cedarville University between 2006 and 2011 (she was a fundamentialist Christian until relatively recently.)

From her other tweets on this issue you might think that her own experience of sexual assault ("attempted rape") might be the reason she is curious as to why her old college isn't on the list of colleges that have been investigating sexual assaults.
But she said in a blog post just last year that she didn't report the incident - in which case you wouldn't expect it to be registered.
I survived an attempted rape at the hands of the son of a high ranking member of staff. I didn’t report the assault for many reasons. Fear, yes. But I also knew I couldn’t face my classmates’ reactions. I’d been through enough and I’d reached the limits of what I could psychologically tolerate.
http://anthonybsusan.wordpress.com/2013 ... niversity/

:think:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Pogsurf wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote:

Peter Hitchens made a ceremony of burning his bible, I can respect that. Myers burn his in a bin, he's a tosser. If you don't understand symbolism you lead a very poor life. Exciting for you but dull as fuck for inquisitive people who can't get away from you, and who you constantly shit on.

Coyne asked the question: would Myers burn a Torah? Myers never answered this because he doesn't know why he wants to destroy things. At least Thor has a thunderbolt and directs his anger when he is smiting.
Interesting considerations.

And I would like that signed copy with 25% discount, please. If documentary evidence has been satisfactory, that is. :)

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tony, if you're lurking:

[youtube]aCARU384BJY[/youtube]

James Caruthers

Sarah still is a fundamentalist. SJWism is the perfect new religion for her. All hail Peezus and his 12 Aprostates.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:The fantastic journalists at the BBC are having another crack at this feminism thing with a new documentary on BBC 2. Weather or not it will fair or impartial I dont know, weather they will accutally do some research this time I dont know. What I do know is that they have used an image of that well know feminist and scam artist Anita Sarkesian.

My lords, Ladies, Gentlemen and general numbnuts. If the BBC dont once mention the amount of money she has been "Donated" for her kick starter and what she has done with it I can only assume that the BBC is sexist. I am fairly certain how this will go. They will wheel out a group of profesional victims telling us how poor they are and then have some annonymous troll, probably Oolon again, make dumb assed comments instead of doing proper research.
Feminism is not all good, nor is it all bad. I find it far easier to throw my weight in with the Equity Feminist, or the feminist who have an idea that I agree with and want to work together, but not insist that I agree with every thought they flashes by in their head, nor insist that treating me like shit and being entirely hypocritical throughout should be acceptable conditions for me to work with them.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Pogsurf wrote:Peter Hitchens made a ceremony of burning his bible, I can respect that. Myers burn his in a bin, he's a tosser. If you don't understand symbolism you lead a very poor life. Exciting for you but dull as fuck for inquisitive people who can't get away from you, and who you constantly shit on.

If you want maximum troll points in the US, find out who is properly retiring of US flags & where then alert social networks. People go apeshit if you say you are burning an American flag in the US. But it is I believe the only approved respectful method of retiring an old worn out flag. They are not supposed to go in the garbage. This was taught to us in the Boy Scouts.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I don't like Neil deGrasse and I deleted all my recorded Cosmos after the second episode.

Deal with it.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Brive1987 wrote:I don't like Neil deGrasse and I deleted all my recorded Cosmos after the second episode.

Deal with it.
Fucking racist prick!

(I really like NdGT, and find his new Cosmos series entertaining, even if I don't learn much new stuff. I still learn things, or at least get interested enough to do research on the side).