Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by deLurch »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
cunt wrote:Tony, if you're lurking:

[youtube]aCARU384BJY[/youtube]
At first I thought it was parody and allowed myself a chuckle. Then I read the description and it slowly sunk in that he's serious about this shit.
Check out the date too. May 2011. He was ahead of the curve.
That Xe Xir crap has been around for a long long time being pushed by certain feminists. I ran into that issue while trying to make some corporate documentation a bit more inclusive. I hadn't really stumbled upon the term egalitarian at the time. There was also the old wymen... yeah, not doing that. The closest real option was using the plural pronouns such as they. At the time I just sucked it up and wrote "he or she" a hell of a lot. If I were to do it now, I would either just use "he" or the plural pronouns.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Aristocat wrote: Some Japanese skate punk from the 90's. One of my favourite bands back in the day.

[youtube]iVm-pTiyC48 [/youtube]
I will see you and raise you The 5,6,7,8's surf rock strangeness.
[youtube]1zgcfrkSxLc[/youtube]

Really?

Post by Really? »

Wow...it's almost as if there can be no creativity or joy or beauty in SJW world.

(These are a joke, right? s/h/it's terrible and stupid.)

[youtube]jj-l6cakhV8[/youtube]

[youtube]psP-IzxZZf4[/youtube]

Seriously, how do these pypyl communicate? Can they ever have real conversations?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

deLurch wrote: The thing that Greer is suggesting by many of her examples (I still don't know which way she will go in her reporting), is that all of these things should be taboo.

What does the public do when you hand them a taboo? They make fun of it. It becomes the new joke. It is something they dance around.
http://i.imgur.com/vB5TuAw.jpg

Good luck for anyone trying to make the public think that sexual relations are not a laughing matter. If nothing else they have created fresh fodder for jokes.
And they're right to do so. Ridicule is the best way to deal with someone's stupid shit. I think one of the best ways to deal with these pretend victim censors is to throw the "taboo" in their face and mock them with it.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/6fa42458334b ... o5_500.jpg
http://31.media.tumblr.com/a6b9fc8798a1 ... o6_500.jpg

The Mountain Dew thing is a perfect example. Some extremely dumb marketing execs think that their audience, people who drink sugary sodas, will totally be ALL THE WAY INTO THIS NEW MARKETING CAMPAIGN HOLY SHIT NEW FLAVOR. The reality is, nobody cares. It's soda. You make a different kind of soda and people might like it, but they'll go back to your core "classic" taste and drink that shit. Because that's why they're drinking your soda in the fucking first place.

So 4chan or whoever gets wind of this nonsense and decides to troll with "Hitler did Nothing Wrong" and "Gushin' Granny" and "Fapple." Loads of laughs all around, marketing execs look stupid, nobody was hurt.

If SJWs tried to understand any of the things they rail against... If they tried to understand rape jokes, suicide jokes, alcoholism jokes, death jokes, etc, and why people make them, they might gain a little perspective on the human condition and themselves as well. Even when life sucks, you don't have to be a stodgy-faced, humorless cunt. Not as long as you can laugh.

So, what to social justice wankers think is funny? Bjarte. Man, so hilarious. Such cutting humor.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BUgWpEZCYAAAdRJ.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/82c8ae8d7ffc ... 1_1280.jpg
Also this. See, I like it because I, too, want to hit people who say things I disagree with.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:Ahahahaha, and his skeleton jim-jams aren't even done up in the back as he fucks off back into the sahara desert.
Lol. Skeleton jim-jams. HAHAHAHA!
I like how he uses hand actions to enunciate each word and how it show them messing about with a ouija board and tarot cards followed by them toasting marshmallows on a fire and drinking cocktails through a straw. Hail Satan.

real horrorshow

Tony Parsehole wrote:
cunt wrote:Ahahahaha, and his skeleton jim-jams aren't even done up in the back as he fucks off back into the sahara desert.
Lol. Skeleton jim-jams. HAHAHAHA!
I like how he uses hand actions to enunciate each word and how it show them messing about with a ouija board and tarot cards followed by them toasting marshmallows on a fire and drinking cocktails through a straw. Hail Satan.
[youtube]Ox5Wg_DxITQ[/youtube]

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

So that's what Noel Fielding is up to these days.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Sulman wrote:So that's what Noel Fielding is up to these days.
[youtube]X_mK0nrrsbI[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Noel Fielding tries to look ridiculous and still doesn't come close to that .....Manlet from BOTDF.
More hilarity:
[youtube]4bEDM4bsfWg[/youtube]
For extra lolz go find the lyrics and read along. You toes will break from over curling.

welch

Post by welch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
cunt wrote:Tony, if you're lurking:

At first I thought it was parody and allowed myself a chuckle. Then I read the description and it slowly sunk in that he's serious about this shit.
Check out the date too. May 2011. He was ahead of the curve.
It just goes to show SJWs can even make an Avril Lavigne song sound worse than the original.

Funnily enough Suey Park might have had a point if she avoided Colbert and instead complained about Lavignes latest dreadful effort.

[youtubeLiaYDPRedWQ[/youtube]
That is simple shit. It's not even racist, it's actually too shitty to be racist.

welch

Post by welch »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:Just snagged tickets to see Neil deGrasse Tyson in Seattle in September. Speaking of interesting, intelligent people... The venue for his talk seats 2,800 people. Tickets sold out right away (in a few hours, I think) a few days ago, then a 2nd day was added on and now ~14 hours after those tickets went on sale it looks like the venue is almost sold out a 2nd time over. He's one of the rock stars of popular science. :)
I would love to see him. A great Science communicator. He is one of the few people I know who could give Dawkins a good telling off in front of a large audience and come out looking good and not even slightly vindictive.

[youtube]LRitr8RYsh4[/youtube]
When it comes to actually educating people and getting them interested in science, Tyson is, right now, in a league of his own. I've not seen anyone who can touch him, and in many ways, he's even better than Sagan was.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Noel Fielding tries to look ridiculous and still doesn't come close to that .....Manlet from BOTDF.
More hilarity:
For extra lolz go find the lyrics and read along. You toes will break from over curling.
[youtube]OR4zefzP7d0[/youtube]

welch

Post by welch »

James Caruthers wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Stripper music.
I suppose we can't rely on the same old Def Leppard and David Lee Roth songs forever.

youtube]i-77j0Qw41s[/youtube]

youtube]0UIB9Y4OFPs[/youtube]

Silly honkie:

[youtube]3w3Zq4nFdGQ[/youtube]

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Karmakin wrote:
They're also rather limited in terms of just talking about frat parties. It's not like that's the only type of binge drinking that happens in the college crowd. What about bars/nightclubs? Is that included in frat parties?

Personally, I see binge drinking as its own type of subculture. And if people want to say that atheism, as an example has a sexual assault problem then fine. But that means that the binge drinking subculture has a sexual assault...plague going on. Obviously something needs to be done about that.

And I figure that anything they do is going to be about as effective as trying to cool down the sun.
Society has deemed that underage drinking is illegal. Period.
President Obama tells us that during college, 20% of women will be sexually assaulted at a time when they are vulnerable due to this illegal activity.

Think of the vast amount of crime that 20% of women in college represents. College campuses, college dorms, college frats are literally some of the most dangerous places on earth for women to be.

Three quotes from Heather MacDonald:

http://www.city-journal.org/2014/eon0209hm.html
The materials accompanying the new sexual-assault task force recycle the usual feminist claims about campus rape: an “estimated 1 in 5 women is sexually assaulted at college,” proclaims a White House press release. Such an assault rate would represent a crime wave unprecedented in civilized history. By comparison, the 2012 rape rate in New Orleans and its immediately surrounding parishes was .0234 percent; the rate for all violent crimes in New Orleans in 2012 was .48 percent. According to the White House Council on Women and Girls, “survivors” of this alleged campus sexual-assault epidemic “often” experience a life of depression, chronic pain, diabetes, anxiety, eating disorders, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
http://www.city-journal.org/2008/18_1_campus_rape.html
If the one-in-four statistic is correct—it is sometimes modified to “one-in-five to one-in-four”—campus rape represents a crime wave of unprecedented proportions. No crime, much less one as serious as rape, has a victimization rate remotely approaching 20 or 25 percent, even over many years. The 2006 violent crime rate in Detroit, one of the most violent cities in America, was 2,400 murders, rapes, robberies, and aggravated assaults per 100,000 inhabitants—a rate of 2.4 percent. The one-in-four statistic would mean that every year, millions of young women graduate who have suffered the most terrifying assault, short of murder, that a woman can experience. Such a crime wave would require nothing less than a state of emergency—Take Back the Night rallies and 24-hour hotlines would hardly be adequate to counter this tsunami of sexual violence. Admissions policies letting in tens of thousands of vicious criminals would require a complete revision, perhaps banning boys entirely. The nation’s nearly 10 million female undergrads would need to take the most stringent safety precautions. Certainly, they would have to alter their sexual behavior radically to avoid falling prey to the rape epidemic.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/ ... mac-donald
Biden has just announced more college red tape on the laughable ground that schools ignore sexual violence. In fact, virtually every campus has a robust sexual-violence bureaucracy which sits idle, waiting for the shell-shocked casualties of rape to crawl through their doors. The victims never come — because they don’t exist. But pressure from the feds will undoubtedly give those lonely college rape counselors further clout to push for increased funding, even as schools cut their German and Latin programs for lack of money. Meanwhile, the parallel campus sex bureaucracy — the Sex Toy Dispensary and Good Vibe Advice Office — continues to do record business, while the occasional professor even offers live XXX shows.

Here is the reality on campuses, which the free-love baby-boomer college deans and provosts will never acknowledge: The sexual revolution and the disappearance of adult moral authority on campus have resulted in a booze-filled sexual free-for-all, in which testosterone-charged boys act boorishly, and the girls compete to match them in reckless promiscuity. (Only disrespect for “diversity” causes the deans and provosts to exercise any moral oversight over their students.) Yes, there are plenty of drunken hook-ups that result in the proverbial “roll and scream”: “You roll over the next morning so horrified at what you find next to you that you scream,” as Laura Sessions Stepp reported in Unhooked. A small percentage of those next-day regretters view themselves as having been raped; most think that they acted stupidly and irresponsibly.

There are a few, simple antidotes to the alleged campus-rape crisis: Don’t drink yourself blotto. Don’t get into bed with one of your fellow drunken revelers. Keep your clothes on. If every girl practiced those elementary rules, poor Ms. Ali might be out of a well-paying government job.
At 1:5 rates of sexual assault due to illegal alcohol consumption, schools would, and parents would demands schools

+ crack down severely on illegal drinking
+ paper and flyer campaigns to alert students to the dangers of alcohol
+ oust students who had alcohol at parties
+ create diversion programs for students who showed up to class drunk
+ ban fraternities (placing them first on double secret probation of course)
+ build more on campus housing
+ build women only dorms
+ place proctors in dorms

Schools ban frats already for their sexist parties, it's hard to understand that schools can't ban frats for allowing underage drinking.

Since underage drinking is illegal, it is hard to take seriously any sort of Bidenish claim that this would be blaming the girls.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
More hilarity:
Aww, come on. Many of the lyrics by, e.g., Black Sabbath are just as stupid.

welch

Post by welch »

John D wrote: Yeah.... I am a pretty traditional kind of husband/father type. I really don't care if people decide they want to have lots of sex partners and just view sex as an entertaining experience. However, my daughters are both into the monogamous partner thing, and this makes me happy. I just know that my life has gone pretty well, and the partnership I have with my wife is at its core. Its not that I am a prude. I just think it is really challenging in today's culture to have high quality relationships and lots of sex partners.

One of my daughter's room mates in college had a new fuck buddy every two weeks. It was God-damned drama central. It is not like she was just having fun sex. She was popping in and out of "love" every month. I think this must happen millions of times with young women who are out on their own with some free time. Many women like sex as much as any man. Now that there are fewer social constraint they are horny bunnies.

I think the problem comes in when these modern sexual, hard drinking young ladies get themselves in a bind. They fall in and out of "love", they party and get drunk and fuck as often as possible. They break old relationships and make new one every month. In this kind of social structure there is bound to be a lot of claims of sexual assault. Almost all the reported college sexual assaults are between people who know each other. There is a fast moving hook-up and fuck culture. There are bound to be times when people are more sexually aggressive than is socially acceptable to one person or the other. Anyway... my point is that this shit is fucked up.

What ever happened to courtship? Is it hopelessly old-fashioned? Isn't it better to get to know someone for at least a few weeks before you start fucking?

But you get the best stories out of the casual shit. Like the Jesus Girls.

welch

Post by welch »

John D wrote: Yeah.... I am a pretty traditional kind of husband/father type. I really don't care if people decide they want to have lots of sex partners and just view sex as an entertaining experience. However, my daughters are both into the monogamous partner thing, and this makes me happy. I just know that my life has gone pretty well, and the partnership I have with my wife is at its core. Its not that I am a prude. I just think it is really challenging in today's culture to have high quality relationships and lots of sex partners.

One of my daughter's room mates in college had a new fuck buddy every two weeks. It was God-damned drama central. It is not like she was just having fun sex. She was popping in and out of "love" every month. I think this must happen millions of times with young women who are out on their own with some free time. Many women like sex as much as any man. Now that there are fewer social constraint they are horny bunnies.

I think the problem comes in when these modern sexual, hard drinking young ladies get themselves in a bind. They fall in and out of "love", they party and get drunk and fuck as often as possible. They break old relationships and make new one every month. In this kind of social structure there is bound to be a lot of claims of sexual assault. Almost all the reported college sexual assaults are between people who know each other. There is a fast moving hook-up and fuck culture. There are bound to be times when people are more sexually aggressive than is socially acceptable to one person or the other. Anyway... my point is that this shit is fucked up.

What ever happened to courtship? Is it hopelessly old-fashioned? Isn't it better to get to know someone for at least a few weeks before you start fucking?

But you get the best stories out of the casual shit. Like the Jesus Girls.

cunt

Post by cunt »

I don't remember Black Sabbath singing about fucking kids, but they were a bit before my time.

welch

Post by welch »

Karmakin wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Karmakin wrote:They're also rather limited in terms of just talking about frat parties. It's not like that's the only type of binge drinking that happens in the college crowd. What about bars/nightclubs? Is that included in frat parties?
In the US, the drinking age is 21. That pretty much excludes all but 4th year students from drinking in bars in almost every state. Thus, all of the drinking occurs behind closed doors. Frat/Sorority houses, dorm rooms, apartments...
Karmakin wrote:Personally, I see binge drinking as its own type of subculture. And if people want to say that atheism, as an example has a sexual assault problem then fine. But that means that the binge drinking subculture has a sexual assault...plague going on. Obviously something needs to be done about that.
It will lead to that eventually. Some universities try to push for strict dry fraternity houses. The tea toddlers are using this as a wedge excuse to crack down on college age drinking. The feminists don't want to do that because they enjoy drinking as much as anyone else & it would cut into their partying.

The real issue here is that the problem is so overstated, it is near impossible to assess the real facts of the case. And if you can't do that, you can't find real solutions. Hook up culture is part of that. But feminists don't want to put the kabash on that either. It is a power play for money, resources, power & influence. It whips up their base like abortions & Republicans come voting day.
Aw shit. Consider my Canadian privilege checked. (It's 19 in most of Canada and 18 in some places).

Please note that I'm not saying that people shouldn't drink (I actually think one of the problems IS the high drinking age limit to be honest. When you make something taboo you both encourage doing it to excess as well as making it more desirable), it's the whole drinking to get absolutely shit-faced drunk thing. It's not having a few beers while watching a hockey game (There's my Canadian privilege again), it's sitting down and your entertainment IS the alcohol. That's where I see the problem is. It's not something that banning it is going to fix...it's a cultural issue. And then the question becomes how to change the culture? Honestly, I have no idea. But I suspect that it starts in Junior High/High School with providing public-private social events and venues that don't revolve around binge drinking.

But yes, it's nothing more than another weapon for them to wield. Like pretty much every other issue.
The problem isn't the taboo as much as the training.

Look, (for simplicity's sake, I lump europe in to one thing), the "European Method" as I call it is one not only of not elevating alcohol to some oooooh, cooooool thing, but also one of training. Kids are not told alcohol is bad or whatever that gives it some AWESOME POWER. It is simply a thing you drink sometimes. With meals, when having fun with your friends/family. It is a part of things, but no more or less important than say, dessert, (if we are talking about meals.) So it's de-elevated.

As well, the gradual introduction of kids to alcohol, i.e. sips of wine/beer graduating to a glass at dinner and so on helps teach kids about drinking. What it tastes like, what it feels like, all of that. Kids are taught, as they grow up, how to drink responsibly. So when they go out on their own, to college, their first real job, whatever, they have some kind of background. The have at least a basic working knowledge of How Alcohol Works.

Now the american method:

0-21 - NONONONONONONEVERNEVERNONONO

21 - HERE YOU GO KIDS, PARTY THE FUCK ON.

The only thing that amazes me is that MORE people don't die from drinking in this country. Jesus fucking christ, it's like we created the perfect system to encourage binge drinking and drunken idiots.

This is what happens when you let puritans run things.

cunt

Post by cunt »

I like it when it writes "never wanna be like you :)" on a cocktail napkin and fucks off in the passive aggressive hope that the friendly people at the next table who invited him over will see it and be owned.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:The fantastic journalists at the BBC are having another crack at this feminism thing with a new documentary on BBC 2. Weather or not it will fair or impartial I dont know, weather they will accutally do some research this time I dont know. What I do know is that they have used an image of that well know feminist and scam artist Anita Sarkesian.

My lords, Ladies, Gentlemen and general numbnuts. If the BBC dont once mention the amount of money she has been "Donated" for her kick starter and what she has done with it I can only assume that the BBC is sexist. I am fairly certain how this will go. They will wheel out a group of profesional victims telling us how poor they are and then have some annonymous troll, probably Oolon again, make dumb assed comments instead of doing proper research.
Are you familiar with our National People's Radio (NPR)?

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

JacquesCuze wrote:At 1:5 rates of sexual assault due to illegal alcohol consumption, schools would, and parents would demands schools

+ crack down severely on illegal drinking
Some do try to do so.
+ paper and flyer campaigns to alert students to the dangers of alcohol
+ oust students who had alcohol at parties
+ create diversion programs for students who showed up to class drunk
+ ban fraternities (placing them first on double secret probation of course)
Some colleges have, others have provided frat houses with a tight noose around their necks for alcohol issues
+ build more on campus housing
That happens often
+ build women only dorms
There are a lot of women only dorms. Or at least separated by different floors.
+ place proctors in dorms
All dorms I am familiar with have a Residential Advisor.

Schools ban frats already for their sexist parties, it's hard to understand that schools can't ban frats for allowing underage drinking.
And some schools do so. They effectively have dry frats.
My comments above are in red.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

welch wrote:Look, (for simplicity's sake, I lump europe in to one thing), the "European Method" as I call it is one not only of not elevating alcohol to some oooooh, cooooool thing, but also one of training. Kids are not told alcohol is bad or whatever that gives it some AWESOME POWER. It is simply a thing you drink sometimes. With meals, when having fun with your friends/family. It is a part of things, but no more or less important than say, dessert, (if we are talking about meals.) So it's de-elevated.

As well, the gradual introduction of kids to alcohol, i.e. sips of wine/beer graduating to a glass at dinner and so on helps teach kids about drinking. What it tastes like, what it feels like, all of that. Kids are taught, as they grow up, how to drink responsibly. So when they go out on their own, to college, their first real job, whatever, they have some kind of background. The have at least a basic working knowledge of How Alcohol Works.

Now the american method:

The only thing that amazes me is that MORE people don't die from drinking in this country. Jesus fucking christ, it's like we created the perfect system to encourage binge drinking and drunken idiots.

In many US states, children are in fact allowed to drink alcohol with the permission of their parents. They just can't buy it. And restaurants are also allowed to serve alcohol to teenagers IF the parent is present. But I bet most resturants would be too scared of losing their liquor licenses to allow that.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Sara Jones attended the fundamentalist Christian college Cedarville University between 2006 and 2011 (she was a fundamentialist Christian until relatively recently.)
I think we're detecting a pattern here.

AU is a secular org with many believers as members and staff -- does Jones even describe herself as a skeptic? In any case, I can only find her saying she lost her faith in fundamental christianity.
I left the organized church and with it, my fundamentalist faith.
What is certain, Jones is first & foremost an SJW:
I’ve come to work at AU now because of its proven dedication to protecting the wall of separation, a dedication it advances without demonizing religion itself. I support the separation of church and state not because I’m against religion, but because I’m against anyone who abuses religion in order to oppress women and other religious, racial and sexual minorities.

acathode

Post by acathode »

JacquesCuze wrote:I got my undergraduate degree in the early 80s at a private school where Wednesday afternoon kegs were mandatory, Friday and Weekend parties occurred all the time, and where weed openly was cultivated in the courtyard, and yet, the alcohol abuse that I read about at campuses now would have put us to shame.

So yes, I am confused how Biden's report can so easily skip over the obvious: campuses need to crack down on underage drinking. And jeez, I think that would also help in graduation rates, shortening time to graduate, raising grades, and reducing the overall drama and trauma so many people (women) report from college.
and it would also reduce a shit ton of all that other really bad shit that alcohol increase, like violence in general (because, surprise, being drunk increase chances of both being beaten up and doing the beating up), drunk driving, alcoholism, injuries in general, and so on.

Drinking, and then esp. binge drinking, just is rather bad for everyone involved, for so many reasons. I'm not fanatically anti-alcohol, but there's just no denying that there's so damn much shit that is connected to alcohol. If you're getting a serious binge-drinking culture among students, it would be probably be smart to step in and try to do something about it before the situation start resembling stuff like this.

It seems pretty stupid to launch campaigns and projects targeting a smaller sub-problem that we know is largely a result of the bigger drinking problem, while doing precious little about the bigger problem. It seems utterly moronic and contra-productive to launch campaigns and projects targeting a smaller sub-problem of a larger problem and then throw a fit of rage, angrily shrieking "victimblamer!!!!", if someone even mentions the bigger problem...

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:
Karmakin wrote:They're also rather limited in terms of just talking about frat parties. It's not like that's the only type of binge drinking that happens in the college crowd. What about bars/nightclubs? Is that included in frat parties?
In the US, the drinking age is 21. That pretty much excludes all but 4th year students from drinking in bars in almost every state. Thus, all of the drinking occurs behind closed doors. Frat/Sorority houses, dorm rooms, apartments...
Plus, the booze at the frats is free! Who's gonna go to a niteclub when there's a 32 gallon garbage can filled with kool-aid flavored everclear?

John D

Post by John D »

My home state of Michigan has one of the most notorious party schools... Michigan State. There are two alcohol related deaths per year at this Uni. About half are from traffic deaths related to drinking. The other half are due to people falling from windows or dying from alcohol poisoning....etc....etc....etc....

You can read the reports in detail for US Universities here:

http://compelledtoact.com/Tragic_listin ... tm#College

It is funny in a way, but Michigan State ends up being more dangerous that other schools in high crime areas, like Wayne State in Detroit, or Eastern Michigan in Ypsilanti. The kids that go to urban schools are not as into the party culture as the privileged kids that go to MSU or University of Michigan.

cunt

Post by cunt »

My home state of Michigan has one of the most notorious party schools... Michigan State. There are two alcohol related deaths per year at this Uni
Seriously? At least two people died during freshers week where I went.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Americans, well american teens anyway, must just pass the fuck out before they get anywhere near poisoning levels. Pussies.

John D

Post by John D »

cunt wrote:Americans, well american teens anyway, must just pass the fuck out before they get anywhere near poisoning levels. Pussies.
Yeah. My daughter's boyfriend stayed in the UK for one college term. The locals drink constantly. He didn't even try to keep up with them. He had a discussion with his buddies where the locals asked him why there were so many alcoholics in the states. He explained that almost everyone he had met in the UK would be alcoholics according to the US definition.

So, at least part of this topic must include the possibility that we Mericans actually have a different perception of what constitutes excessive drinking.

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:
My home state of Michigan has one of the most notorious party schools... Michigan State. There are two alcohol related deaths per year at this Uni
Cool story, bro. Which poly were you at, then?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

John D wrote:
cunt wrote:Americans, well american teens anyway, must just pass the fuck out before they get anywhere near poisoning levels. Pussies.
Yeah. My daughter's boyfriend stayed in the UK for one college term. The locals drink constantly. He didn't even try to keep up with them. He had a discussion with his buddies where the locals asked him why there were so many alcoholics in the states. He explained that almost everyone he had met in the UK would be alcoholics according to the US definition.

So, at least part of this topic must include the possibility that we Mericans actually have a different perception of what constitutes excessive drinking.
I think binge drinking in the UK is mostly due to pubs closing early, by law. At least, that's the reason I remember from my binge days there...

dogen

Post by dogen »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
John D wrote:

I think binge drinking in the UK is mostly due to pubs closing early, by law. At least, that's the reason I remember from my binge days there...
'Early' (11pm) closing is no longer the law; but from what I've seen when I've gone back (I left the UK before the change), there hasn't been much improvement in the drinking culture.

cunt

Post by cunt »

dogen wrote:
cunt wrote:
Something wrong with going to a poly?

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:
dogen wrote:
cunt wrote:
Something wrong with going to a poly?
Nothing whatsoever, for sure!

cunt

Post by cunt »

dogen wrote: Nothing whatsoever, for sure!
For sure. You're not implying anything? Like i'm too thick to pay for a 4 year long philosophy of science degree, or for a masters in art history? Ok, good.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

deLurch wrote:
welch wrote:Look, (for simplicity's sake, I lump europe in to one thing), the "European Method" as I call it is one not only of not elevating alcohol to some oooooh, cooooool thing, but also one of training. Kids are not told alcohol is bad or whatever that gives it some AWESOME POWER. It is simply a thing you drink sometimes. With meals, when having fun with your friends/family. It is a part of things, but no more or less important than say, dessert, (if we are talking about meals.) So it's de-elevated.

Now the american method:

In many US states, children are in fact allowed to drink alcohol with the permission of their parents. They just can't buy it. And restaurants are also allowed to serve alcohol to teenagers IF the parent is present. But I bet most resturants would be too scared of losing their liquor licenses to allow that.
http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/re ... alties.htm
It's common knowledge that the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 and that all states make it illegal to sell alcohol to anyone who is underage. However, state prohibitions against underage drinking extend further than merely the sale of alcohol. All states also make it a crime to supply an underage person with alcohol even when there is no money involved.

Supplying. All states prohibit providing alcohol to underage people. Regardless of whether a person sells it, gives it, provides it, or supplies it, the laws punish such activity as a crime. Even though the language that state laws use differs, all states prohibit anyone from knowingly supplying any underage person with alcoholic beverages

Acts. A wide range of actions constitute “supplying” alcohol to an underage person. For example, allowing an underage person to be in a home where there is alcohol and not restricting access to it, placing an alcoholic beverage near an underage person with the intent to allow that person to drink, and buying alcohol and placing it in the underage person's vehicle all qualify as “supplying” alcohol to minors. You don't have to specifically hand over the alcohol or give it directly to the underage person to be convicted of supplying alcohol to a minor.
Intent. While knowingly supplying a minor with alcohol does not have to involve money or overtly giving the alcohol to the underage person, the law does require that the accused knowingly provides the alcohol. This means that the accused intended to give the alcohol, or intended that his or her actions result in the underage person acquiring alcohol. Courts have held, for example, that you cannot be convicted of supplying alcohol to a minor if you are simply indifferent to an underage person drinking. Similarly, if you are a property owner and you grant your permission to have a party on that property knowing that underage people may be there, that is not enough to show that you intended to provide underage people with alcohol.

License not required. The laws prohibiting supplying alcohol to minors apply to everyone, not just establishments that serve or sell alcohol. Courts have broadly applied these laws to include any act of providing alcohol to underage people, even when the person supplying the alcohol is another underage person.

Exceptions. Supplying liquor to an underage person is allowed in some states in some situations. Some states have laws that allow parents or legal guardians to supply an underage person with alcohol in a home environment, as well as make exceptions if the alcohol is provided in a religious or medicinal situation. These laws may also allow an underage person to acquire, purchase, or procure alcohol. However, such home use or procurement must be supervised or performed in the presence of, and with the permission of, a parent, guardian, or (in a few states) someone acting in loco parentis.

Aristocat

Post by Aristocat »

BarnOwl wrote:
Aristocat wrote: What's ironic about that is that Avril appropriated punk style, Japanese culture appropriated north american punk culture. Avril becomes popular in Japan and starts to work with Japanese music industry. Now she is a racist and is culturally appropriating Japanese culture... has she ever written one of her own songs or directed one of her own videos before? If anyone should have a beef with Avril it's skate punks but they don't typically try to police what other people do with their lives.

Some Japanese skate punk from the 90's. One of my favourite bands back in the day.
It's all derivative:

[youtube]ZIU0RMV_II8[/youtube]
Point taken.

I remember reading this article back in '03 and I must admit much of my opinion of Avril is derived from it. I realize that isn't fair but meh.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... g-20030320
And then there's the issue of her punk-rock cred, or lack thereof. It's a sore subject for Lavigne, who avoids using the p word these days. But her bandmates, all veterans of small-time punk bands, are quick to defend her. “I can totally understand why people would be pissed off at Avril,” says rhythm guitarist Jesse Colburn, who used to play in an Ontario band named Closet Monster. “But it's not her fault. Punk pop is in right now, and someone out there thought they could capitalize on it with Avril. You can look kind of punky without listening to punk rock or writing punk-rock music.”

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:
For sure. You're not implying anything? Like i'm too thick to pay for a 4 year long philosophy of science degree, or for a masters in art history? Ok, good.
'Course not. Having witnessed your obvious street-smarts, which set you apart and above all the other Britfag 'educated' toffs on the pit, it's clear your a poly man through and through.

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:
'Course not. Having witnessed your obvious street-smarts, which set you apart and above all the other Britfag 'educated' toffs on the pit, it's clear your a poly man through and through.

cunt

Post by cunt »

dogen wrote:
cunt wrote:
Oh, now its me against the "educated", back-handedly implying that i'm not also educated, members of the pit. Nothing to do with you being a snobbish arsehole because somebody didn't else didn't value the things you value or aim for your oh so lofty heights.

Nothing to do with your superiority complex.

real horrorshow

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
John D wrote:

That's a common theory on how it began, but opening hours have been greatly relaxed for many years now. There was a hope that this would introduce a 'cafe culture' a fantasy of how French or Italian people are supposed to drink - slowly over a long period. However most of Britain doesn't really have the climate for that.

The first effect of longer opening hours was that young Britons drank just as hard, for longer. With pub and club drink prices going up, the tactic now is to pre-drink. That is, to buy booze much more cheaply from a supermarket, get three parts smashed, then go out clubbing. Friday and Saturday nights in many British towns and cities are basically The Zombie Apocalypse.

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:
dogen wrote:
cunt wrote: For sure. You're not implying anything? Like i'm too thick to pay for a 4 year long philosophy of science degree, or for a masters in art history? Ok, good.
Oh, now its me against the "educated", back-handedly implying that i'm not also educated, members of the pit. Nothing to do with you being a snobbish arsehole because somebody didn't else didn't value the things you value or aim for your oh so lofty heights.

Nothing to do with your superiority complex.
Chip on the shoulder, much? You poly types and your inferiority complexes, tsk....

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 »

cunt wrote:
:dance: My uni had nine bars on the campus alone. :dance:

cunt

Post by cunt »

dogen wrote:
Chip on the shoulder, much? You poly types and your inferiority complexes, tsk....
Oh please fuck off and think about how a plumber or electrician earns compared to you. He only went to college too, the stupid twat.

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:
dogen wrote:
Oh please fuck off and think about how a plumber or electrician earns compared to you. He only went to college too, the stupid twat.
Ah, the politics of envy -- your chav-gauntlets are off!

cunt

Post by cunt »

You're boring me now in case you hadn't noticed.

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:You're boring me now in case you hadn't noticed.
So which poly was it, then, that award you your diploma in Conteporary Cunting and Twattery Studies?

cunt

Post by cunt »

It was the polytechnic university of your mums vag. Over 20,000 enrolled and its a guaranteed pass.

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:It was the polytechnic university of your mums vag. Over 20,000 enrolled and its a guaranteed pass.
:D

I feel we're done here...

real horrorshow

DaveDodo007 wrote:
cunt wrote:
:dance: My uni had nine bars on the campus alone. :dance:
Thirteen on campus at mine, five of those in the Students Union building. I think there may be more now.

cunt

Post by cunt »

dogen wrote:
cunt wrote:It was the polytechnic university of your mums vag. Over 20,000 enrolled and its a guaranteed pass.
:D

I feel we're done here...
Give her my love.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

My first school: 2,000 students, 17 frats. At least one frat was "on" Mon-Thu, with 3 or 4 "on" Fri & Sat. Sunday was vomit day.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

real horrorshow wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I think binge drinking in the UK is mostly due to pubs closing early, by law. At least, that's the reason I remember from my binge days there...
That's a common theory on how it began, but opening hours have been greatly relaxed for many years now. There was a hope that this would introduce a 'cafe culture' a fantasy of how French or Italian people are supposed to drink - slowly over a long period. However most of Britain doesn't really have the climate for that.

The first effect of longer opening hours was that young Britons drank just as hard, for longer. With pub and club drink prices going up, the tactic now is to pre-drink. That is, to buy booze much more cheaply from a supermarket, get three parts smashed, then go out clubbing. Friday and Saturday nights in many British towns and cities are basically The Zombie Apocalypse.
Has anyone given consideration to the possibility that it's because life in Britain is really boring?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

real horrorshow wrote:
Thirteen on campus at mine, five of those in the Students Union building. I think there may be more now.
Only one, student-tended, place of drinking at my local arts and literature university. Last time I went, pastis was at 1 euro/glass. Nothing says get plastered instead of studying like such an offer.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Lsuoma wrote:
dog puke wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Just how I felt after my last reincarnation as the Dealy Lama...
Isn't that where they shot Kennedy?
Read "Illuminatus!" by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson.

http://illuminatus.wikia.com/wiki/Dealy_Lama
I was a bit leary about posting that… must be all that lysergic acid diethylamide I had for breakfast.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Hey Phil, how's things going with your dads bakery anyway? Did you put a couple of computers in?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Dependent on the city a lot of campus bars in the UK struggle, especially since the NUS became more fractious.

In Southampton the city started undercutting the student bars about ten years ago, so they get most of the business. It has not been great for parts of town, though. Living in America now it surprises me how much of a taboo booze is. Sure, people drink, but there's an attitude towards alcohol I'd describe as tinged with puritanism. It's certainly not as relaxed as home.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

cunt wrote:Hey Phil, how's things going with your dads bakery anyway? Did you put a couple of computers in?
My father decided to rent the walls to a guy who already has another bakery across town. They're renovating right now and should open just before summer.

real horrorshow

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I think binge drinking in the UK is mostly due to pubs closing early, by law. At least, that's the reason I remember from my binge days there...

Has anyone given consideration to the possibility that it's because life in Britain is really boring?
Compared to the kaleidoscope of intellectual stimulation experienced by the average American on a daily basis you mean?
http://i.imgur.com/nEu3ZT6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/l0smfell.jpg?1