Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Sunder

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by Sunder »

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Ha. Peezus, in praising a ruling striking down Oregon's ban on same sex marriage, opines,
PZ Myers, Nullifier wrote:... the rights of the minority should not be subject to majority vote.
Hmm, Where have I heard that before?
John C. Calhoun wrote:The Government of the absolute majority ... is but the Government of the strongest interests; and when not efficiently checked, it is the most tyrannical and oppressive that can be devised.
Calhoun.jpg
(22.08 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
[/PSYCHO theme]

rpguest

Post by rpguest »

[youtube]L5F_w4zOtrA[/youtube]

the sjw's are going to be terribly pleased with oswalt considering he starts railing into "social justice warriors" called out by name right from the start

always name names

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

So I go to Canuks, fully expecting to see my post and an answer to the question that has left the best slymepit brains crushed and unable to speak.

And what do I find? Madness. Not only is my question still wandering the purgatory of moderation, but Hornbeck has well and truly slipped the bonds of sanity.

Here is his opus dating the exact moment Radford stopped uploading multiple copies of files to link to in favour of cross linking.

http://i.imgur.com/8HrjIcm.jpg

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Casual Nemesis wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
Easy J wrote:When do we get to officially declare A+ dead? Is there a metric we can agree on? Maybe a certain number of posts in a given month or something like that. The Carrier post on A+ led me to the Pit & I've been waiting by the hole with my shovel for a while now.
Official declarations? Here on the Slymepit? We don't do that sort of thing here. We're just a bunch of cynical drunks shouting rude remarks through the windows of the Hallowed Halls of The Movement.

If you want official declarations, you need people like Myers and McWrong and Carrier. They're the ones who declare things officially born or officially dead or divorced or cast out.

It would be cool to see a memorial of the glory days of Atheism+, starting with Carrier's with us or against us post on FtB, and maybe ending with Hug-gate and/or the banning of a rape victim for stating that rape isn't worse than death. Every entertainer should put out a Greatest Hits album.

Atheism Plus always was a stupid idea. The fact the SJW's hijacked it minutes after the idea became public just sealed its fate. The supremely naive people that actually 'gave it a chance' despite it being clearly nothing about atheism or social justice was a joy to behold. I loved those same people then pretending it was nothing to do with them. I hope it does not go away, I have had so many laughs from it I nearly got a hernia.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

More hilarity from Atheism Plus: apparently everything should be labeled with trigger warnings, because otherwise this proud, valiant Social Justice Warriors will be reduced to "trembling piles of goo". Sheesh. Talk about being spineless wimps.

Actually I think that we should stop calling them Social Justice Warriors. These guys couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Brive1987 wrote:So I go to Canuks, fully expecting to see my post and an answer to the question that has left the best slymepit brains crushed and unable to speak.

And what do I find? Madness. Not only is my question still wandering the purgatory of moderation, but Hornbeck has well and truly slipped the bonds of sanity.

Here is his opus dating the exact moment Radford stopped uploading multiple copies of files to link to in favour of cross linking.

Just tell him time is a social construct that we live in one temporal trajectory of a multi-dimensional universe with variant causalities and he should stop flaunting his narrow minded uni-causal privilege in which most of which, including the one he perceives, his words have no meaning at all.

Since he thinks reality is a word game, beat him at it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The best of all possible worlds I can imagine right now is one where I post a comment and it actually appears.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Latest Ally Fogg : Slap-happy columnists and the dangers of generalisation
I hate to say I told you so, but when I wrote last week that our culture has a problem conceptualising female violence, one or two of those commenting below seemed less than convinced. Perhaps I didn’t explain myself clearly, but with impeccable timing, up popped the Observer columnist Barbara Ellen to provide the perfect illustration.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Kirbmarc wrote: Actually I think that we should stop calling them Social Justice Warriors. These guys couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.
That's kinda the joke.

Mr Radio

Post by Mr Radio »

Excellent reply, Aneris.
However, when Sara Moglia of SkepChick reported to have overheard Richard Dawkins saying that he doesn’t want to share a stage with Rebecca Watson (who wasn’t invited anyway), that’s again an outrage and about gender roles and privilege. Curiously, PZ Myers joined the outrage, briefly reminded himself he did something worse (by orders of magnitude) and quietly swept it under the carpet and condemned Richard Dawkins in the same go.
...and this is news to me. I didn't think I could possibly respect Dawkins more than I already had before reading this. I stand corrected.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

deLurch wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
Suey Park ‏@suey_park 10h
Men live their lives in a mode in which emotion are a threat to their very being--their manhood.
Collapse
So men tend not to want to form emotional connections with Suey and run like hell once the figure out how crazy she actually is. In fact the bulk of her tweets read like a string of bad or non-relationships.
As you rightly observe, yes, most of her tweeting is about how evil menz have damaged her life, and incidentally, all her neuroses and mental problems and crippling insecurity. So yes, it's entirely reasonable for men to run like hell away from her. But in her mind, oh no, those menz are toxic patriarchal pigs programmed to not want to express emotion because then they'd have to emotionally support their women even more than they already do. Damn those menz for not getting in touch with their feelings! Don't they know that what I need from a man is far more important than anything else? At this rate, those menz will be telling me they can't put up my shelves and work 50 hours a week so I can live my dream life! Damn menz!

TL:DR I suspect her new boyfriend is in it for the wild crazy asian sex (yellow fever rape culture) and will dump her after he has his fun.

Her new slogan a few months from now will be "I am not your asian fucktoy."

James Caruthers

Brive1987 wrote:The best of all possible worlds I can imagine right now is one where I post a comment and it actually appears.
Check your privilege, shitlord. Opinions are triggering. :snooty:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

It appears she means this seriously.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Skep tickle wrote:It appears she means this seriously.
Fight the power by playing into stereotypes! Genius!

Really?

Post by Really? »

Way to defeat the stereotypes, ladies.

If I didn't know better, I would have thought that WIS3 was an opportunity for female social outcasts to bitch about men and compare shoes and tattoos.

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

JayTeeAitch wrote:Get the fuck out of here - this place wouldn't be the same without the odd morsel of Cainaji narcissism. Next you'll be saying Nerd' should never have been born. Perish the thought!
We have not yet established that Nerd was born at all. Even if he was, I suspect he was long since - to borrow a phrase - a very small shell script.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

JackSkeptic wrote:Atheism Plus always was a stupid idea. The fact the SJW's hijacked it minutes after the idea became public just sealed its fate. The supremely naive people that actually 'gave it a chance' despite it being clearly nothing about atheism or social justice was a joy to behold. I loved those same people then pretending it was nothing to do with them. I hope it does not go away, I have had so many laughs from it I nearly got a hernia.
Humanists did it first and did it better.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tribble wrote:
bhoytony wrote:[.tweet][/tweet]
Ha! That's male pattern baldness. Unusual in women and it tends to be a symptom of something else.
Greta had a hysterectomy a few years back when she was found to have endometrial cancer.
This procedure often leads to an increase in hair loss due to the loss of hormones.
???

I'm thinking you meant that "bilateral oophorectomy" as in "hysterectomy with bilateral oophorectomy" as the surgery that "often leads to...hair loss due to the loss of hormones", but you used "hysterectomy" as shorthand.

"Hysterectomy" doesn't lead to hair loss, with the exceptions of (a) diffuse hair thinning in the setting of iron deficiency from blood loss (either from menorrhagia which is the reason for some hysterectomies, or perioperative blood loss), and (b) telogen effluvium (which any physiological shock like surgery, or any moderately-to-severe acute illness, can cause).

GC had just passed her 51st birthday when she was diagnosed with endometrial ca. Treatment was surgical, presumably TAH-BSO and potentially lymph node dissection. If she wasn't postmenopausal before the surgery, she was afterwards.

Hair thinning is common in postmenopausal women, even among those who have not had gyn surgery:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21128905

[/pedant mode, perhaps]

real horrorshow

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Ha! That's male pattern baldness. Unusual in women and it tends to be a symptom of something else.
Greta had a hysterectomy a few years back when she was found to have endometrial cancer.
This procedure often leads to an increase in hair loss due to the loss of hormones.
Then it's not due to... Testosterone poisoning? ROBOkitty be thanked!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Aneris wrote:I dropped a reply, struggling to provide a bigger picture, but it's at least something:
http://www.religionnews.com/2014/05/15/ ... ent-987378
"reddit herring". Love it.

justinvacula

Post by justinvacula »

Thanks for contributions and promotion of my fundraiser thus far. $245 of the $1200 goal is currently raised.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Is it just me, or does this kind of thing make other women gag too? (FWIW, that's kind of an unhealthy-looking pallor, and I'm not trying to white-shame MH. On the other hand, the women kissing her are from California & Texas respectively, so presumably they get more sun exposure over the winter than a resident of the DC area would.)

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

Skep tickle wrote:Is it just me, or does this kind of thing make other women gag too? (FWIW, that's kind of an unhealthy-looking pallor, and I'm not trying to white-shame MH. On the other hand, the women kissing her are from California & Texas respectively, so presumably they get more sun exposure over the winter than a resident of the DC area would.)
Melody is so pale because she's been bedridden for years. It was very brave of her to somehow attend the conference despite not being able to leave the house.

James Caruthers

Melody continues to dress like a clown.

I know that's an unsophisticated rape culture hetero-patriarchal white cis scum ad hominem, but come on. Don't dress like an absolute loon if you don't want people to comment on it.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

It was a wymyn's safe space.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Yes, being bedridden also explains that puffy, fluid-retentive appearance. Totally not cupcake related.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:Is it just me, or does this kind of thing make other women gag too? (FWIW, that's kind of an unhealthy-looking pallor, and I'm not trying to white-shame MH. On the other hand, the women kissing her are from California & Texas respectively, so presumably they get more sun exposure over the winter than a resident of the DC area would.)
Burlesque?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I was hoping this might mean they'd be defining terms like "harassment", and maybe even gathering data from groups they assume for comparison, and who knows even looking for trends in situations that seem to set "harassment" off...

...but that little insert about having to "track statistics" (as opposed to, oh say, "gather data") puts that hope to rest.

"Tracking statistics" could be: "RW says she was harassed 200 times online this week, up from 150 last week. And 106% of it was from straight white atheist men!"

Mr Radio

Post by Mr Radio »

Skep tickle wrote:
[youtube]WI6AbdbGRvU[/youtube]

sinister

Post by sinister »

Mr Radio wrote:Excellent reply, Aneris.
However, when Sara Moglia of SkepChick reported to have overheard Richard Dawkins saying that he doesn’t want to share a stage with Rebecca Watson (who wasn’t invited anyway), that’s again an outrage and about gender roles and privilege. Curiously, PZ Myers joined the outrage, briefly reminded himself he did something worse (by orders of magnitude) and quietly swept it under the carpet and condemned Richard Dawkins in the same go.
...and this is news to me. I didn't think I could possibly respect Dawkins more than I already had before reading this. I stand corrected.
Agreed. Excellent response. I was pleased to see all I the pushback in the comments section. That article was horribly researched, and just plain bad journalism.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

sinister wrote:
Mr Radio wrote:Excellent reply, Aneris.
Agreed. Excellent response. I was pleased to see all I the pushback in the comments section. That article was horribly researched, and just plain bad journalism.
Agreed, very nice response, Aneris! (Also Matt's correction of calling the elevator episode an "assault".) Hope it gets wider view in A/S community than a religion news site usually pulls in.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Suet Cardigan wrote:
Melody is so pale because she's been bedridden for years. It was very brave of her to somehow attend the conference despite not being able to leave the house.
I don't know if you guys agree, but between the skirt lifting and girl-on-girl-on...gurl? three-ways, I'm pretty sure that conference sexual harassment policies really don't mean anything.

didymos

Post by didymos »

I don't know about gag, and I'm not a woman anyway, but damn she creeps me out sometimes. Those eyes. Something wrong with those eyes...

didymos

Post by didymos »

Oh, god. The responses to that Melody tweet...now those do make me gag.

real horrorshow

real horrorshow wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:Get the fuck out of here - this place wouldn't be the same without the odd morsel of Cainaji narcissism. Next you'll be saying Nerd' should never have been born. Perish the thought!
We have not yet established that Nerd was born at all. Even if he was, I suspect he was long since - to borrow a phrase - a very small shell script.
Cock! That should be: I suspect he was long since - to borrow a phrase - replaced by a very small shell script.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Twitter Warning: Melody Hensley
Ooooohhh, the cute PZ chibi shirt! Appropriate, I guess, since they all make themselves up to look like cartoon characters.

real horrorshow

Skep tickle wrote:Is it just me, or does this kind of thing make other women gag too?
You mean, other women who aren't shallow-pated; attention-seeking; wastes of space? I would think so.
And that is also a sniper's dream opportunity gone to waste.
(FWIW, that's kind of an unhealthy-looking pallor, and I'm not trying to white-shame MH. On the other hand, the women kissing her are from California & Texas respectively, so presumably they get more sun exposure over the winter than a resident of the DC area would.)
You must remember that Melody is confined to her sickbed, which I always imagine as something like this:
http://i.imgur.com/Fuq7Xgv.jpg
Only with those two fucking pug things waddling and wheezing in it, of course.

Really?

Post by Really? »

BarnOwl wrote:Twitter Warning: Melody Hensley
Ooooohhh, the cute PZ chibi shirt! Appropriate, I guess, since they all make themselves up to look like cartoon characters.
That's right, Melody. He's a good little boy who always does as he's told. And if you put a Melody wig on him, he would look just like you! He's the perfect pet!

real horrorshow

KiwiInOz wrote:
It was, as I said yesterday, a High School Sleepover. Honestly, I'd like to meet Ron Lindsay, just I could slap a folder of this shit on his desk and yell: "What the fuck do you think you're doing?"
KiwiInOz wrote:Burlesque?
Farce mate, low farce.

welch

Post by welch »

Tribble wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
lame fundraising aside, she was/is dealing with cancer.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:
If only. :bjarte:
If you're a sysadmin, triggers are AWESOME

welch

Post by welch »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Ha. Peezus, in praising a ruling striking down Oregon's ban on same sex marriage, opines,
PZ Myers, Nullifier wrote:... the rights of the minority should not be subject to majority vote.
Hmm, Where have I heard that before?
John C. Calhoun wrote:The Government of the absolute majority ... is but the Government of the strongest interests; and when not efficiently checked, it is the most tyrannical and oppressive that can be devised.
Calhoun.jpg
[/PSYCHO theme]
I always liked that picture. It really shows off my eyes.

welch

Post by welch »

Brive1987 wrote:So I go to Canuks, fully expecting to see my post and an answer to the question that has left the best slymepit brains crushed and unable to speak.

Were he covered in shit, screaming "OOK! OOK OOK OOOK!" and pawing at an obelisk, he'd not be more out of his depth.

Filenames. Now he's using mutable metadata as some kind of important thing.

I'd call him a moron, but morons are more useful.

welch

Post by welch »

AndrewV69 wrote:Latest Ally Fogg : Slap-happy columnists and the dangers of generalisation
I hate to say I told you so, but when I wrote last week that our culture has a problem conceptualising female violence, one or two of those commenting below seemed less than convinced. Perhaps I didn’t explain myself clearly, but with impeccable timing, up popped the Observer columnist Barbara Ellen to provide the perfect illustration.
That column by B. Ellen is a load of shit. in my life, I've had the snot beat out of me by both sexes. I'll run INTO the arms of a male mugger to get away from a woman trying to do me physical violence. Even if I am bigger and in theory able to manage the situation, the escalation when a woman is attacking you is far worse, in my experience.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

justinvacula wrote:Thanks for contributions and promotion of my fundraiser thus far. $245 of the $1200 goal is currently raised.

Welch sent me $50 to go to TAM... or to STFU and stop posting on the Pit. I'm going to TAM. Sorry, John.

welch

Post by welch »

real horrorshow wrote:
Nerd is the result of too much Perl. I knew that shit would come to life one day.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Tribble wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Maybe chemo. She had cancer, didn't she? You know, then she run a fundraiser, and got excess money, and spent it on ugly Fluevogs...

welch

Post by welch »

Who's the drag queen in the middle.

For that matter, who's the drag king on the right?

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

real horrorshow wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:
It was, as I said yesterday, a High School Sleepover. Honestly, I'd like to meet Ron Lindsay, just I could slap a folder of this shit on his desk and yell: "What the fuck do you think you're doing?"
He would slide his boneless sack of skin and flesh to his well worn knees in a form of supplication, the single tear in his eye shining with a nearly forgotten sense of sorrow and remorse, because, as the past year has proved, that's the way he behaves when confronted. Unless you hold the keys to his job though, as the SJW/FTB thugs do, an answer to your demand won't be forthcoming.

Liked your comment on here too, btw. "Risible", and the descriptive "decorate your post" phrase, and the way you highlighted the Orwellian nature of their language, and the wonderful slam of the slacktastic author of the article:
This is Newspeak. It is an attempt at thought control. Add in the shameless disregard for facts and Kimberly Winston is looking very much like a sort feeble-minded junior officer of Thinkpol."
:lol:

Lots of comforting replies to the article of bullshittitude, from 'pitters and others.
Cheers!
It's striking that as terrible as the article is, I want to pat her on the back for allowing all the contrary comments appear, so far, without having a case of the vapors. Lifts her above so many of the 'freethinker' FCu(n)ts.

Walter Ego

Post by Walter Ego »

deLurch wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Atheism Plus always was a stupid idea...
Humanists did it first and did it better.
All thanks to those old white men like Isaac Asimov and Paul Kurtz. So what if they had urine stains on their trousers and talked too loud because they wouldn't wear their hearing aids?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Skep tickle wrote:
As per Nerd of Redhead's null hypothesis, she would also need to track and analyze data for online harrassment of men, trans people, gender fluids, gender neutrals, two-spirits, and whatever else they have dreamt up by the time they start this project.

Otherwise it is - literally - meaningless.

welch

Post by welch »

didymos wrote:Oh, god. The responses to that Melody tweet...now those do make me gag.
If you keep sticking that fork in your eye, it's going to hurt.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Is there any fucking thing aine won't complain about, and can't make all about her?

From a Meyers post about some fat versus thin women in art bullshit Buzzfeed article:

http://i.imgur.com/NkHA0RC.png

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ent-799049

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Is there any fucking thing aine won't complain about, and can't make all about her?

From a Meyers post about some fat versus thin women in art bullshit Buzzfeed article:

I love how she slipped the accusation of sexism into the last sentence of the post. Patriarchy is everywhere!

dogen

Post by dogen »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Is there any fucking thing aine won't complain about, and can't make all about her?

Fucking hell, Cainaji has thin privilege! Set phasers to nuke from orbit!

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

It was just brought home to me how much I am a child of the UK in the '60s and '70s.

I saw this headline on the Beeb and immediately thought to myself "That doesn't make sense to me, knowing what I know about Bernard!"
Manning 'may sue' for sex change about why Bernard would

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Fucked post - should be:
Manning 'may sue' for sex change