Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
cunt

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by cunt »

welch wrote: maybe it doesn't happen more often because the vast majority of men don't take not getting laid so fucking seriously? and recognize that murder is not going to solve their relationship issues?

Christ. "I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often".
Of course, this is what Andrew would do if he had a set of nuts.

Southern

Post by Southern »

welch wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:

The only surprise to me is that this does not happen more often.

Apparently a certified Nice Guy® gets pissed off and goes on a rampage and vows that 'I will slaughter every single blonde slut I see': Seven people killed as son of Hunger Games assistant director carries out drive-by shooting 'because women rebuffed his advances and he was a virgin at 22'
Investigators believe a 22-year-old named Elliot Rodger driving a black BMW acted alone in the shootings around 9:30pm Friday night near the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown confirmed at a news conference early Saturday that that seven people were killed, including the gunman, and seven wounded.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/ ... 34x407.jpg
maybe it doesn't happen more often because the vast majority of men don't take not getting laid so fucking seriously? and recognize that murder is not going to solve their relationship issues?

Christ. "I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often".

Just how many hours a day DO you think about your dick and only your dick?
If only he was captured alive, he would get all the sex he ever wanted in jail.

cunt

Post by cunt »

Like Andrew is even more of a pussy than the 22 year old virgin who went on a rampage because he couldn't get laid.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

dogen wrote:And now an Ask Slymepit post:

I'm considering switching from a 3-blade disposable razor to a traditional safety razor. What do I need to know to avoid shaving my face off?

Ta!
I made the switch a month or two ago. Haven't perfected the technique yet, but I've improved.

Most important thing I've learned: go slowly, using short and very gentle strokes (seriously, apply basically zero pressure).

The hardest part is the chin and the jaw line. The key is to re-apply some lather to those trouble spots at the end and use careful mini-strokes to clean them up.

It takes me like 15-20 minutes from start to finish, which is considerably longer than it took me before I made the switch. But I actually enjoy shaving now, so it was totally worth it.

An (alcohol-free) aftershave is a nice touch. Also, best to shave after a shower, and a tiny dab of pre-shave cream before the lather makes a noticeable difference for me.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:

The only surprise to me is that this does not happen more often.

Apparently a certified Nice Guy® gets pissed off and goes on a rampage and vows that 'I will slaughter every single blonde slut I see': Seven people killed as son of Hunger Games assistant director carries out drive-by shooting 'because women rebuffed his advances and he was a virgin at 22'
Investigators believe a 22-year-old named Elliot Rodger driving a black BMW acted alone in the shootings around 9:30pm Friday night near the University of California, Santa Barbara.

Santa Barbara County Sheriff Bill Brown confirmed at a news conference early Saturday that that seven people were killed, including the gunman, and seven wounded.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/05/ ... 34x407.jpg

I guess you could say he was a real ladykiller. :dance:
[youtube]X_mK0nrrsbI[/youtube]

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

The FTB recipe for success:

1) Put more minorities on stage and in your pictures. Don't try to broadly reach out to our shared common humanity or appeal to reason. Minorities only respond to seeing other minorities.

2) Talk more about the issues affecting women and minorities. A lot more. In fact drop, everything else you're doing and focus only on that all of the time until the end of time. The other problems your group was ostensibly created to deal with WILL go away if you pray hard enough to Feminism and/or ignore them.

3) Put us on stage and pay our travel expenses and bar tabs.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Southern wrote:
If only he was captured alive, he would get all the sex he ever wanted in jail.
You can have one too.
[youtube]X_mK0nrrsbI[/youtube]

cunt

Post by cunt »

Tony Parsehole wrote: [youtube]X_mK0nrrsbI[/youtube]
http://i.imgur.com/SUYPw5H.png

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Tigzy wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote: [youtube]MQUW3Km01BM[/youtube]

He comes across as a delusional (listen to his forced 'evil' laughs) spoilt child.
Okay George Lucas, all is forgiven. Anakin Skywalker is indeed a spot on portrayal of of whiny man-brat murderousness.
Although he was trying to act and sound like Bane, Anakin is what he comes across as. Whiny, squeaky-voiced twat with a pet lip.
He should have at least worn a Darth Vader voice changer helmet in his video.

dogen

Post by dogen »

cunt wrote:Like Andrew is even more of a pussy than the 22 year old virgin who went on a rampage because he couldn't get laid.
Look who just woke up with morning glory.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Jan Steen wrote:
An instant classic. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Definitely :mrgreen:
I love how he's also dual wielding

And btw, I know many in the medical field who are Christians and you'd absolutely want them helping you if you were in need, because they're awesome at practicing emergency medicine. The -most- any would do is ask if you need anything, spiritual-wise, if it looked like you weren't going to make it. To me that's more like being thoughtful, open-minded, realizing humans have wide-ranges of beliefs which doesn't mean they're BAD, yet PZ is so "happy" with his atheism that he'd stab someone like that?

What the hell is wrong with him that he feels compelled to publicly bluster about doing violence to Shroedinger's Missionary (TM-Tigzy) anyway. It's got to be feeling so noticeably left out of this new, global, dashing and compelling secular group :D

cunt

Post by cunt »

dogen wrote:
cunt wrote:Like Andrew is even more of a pussy than the 22 year old virgin who went on a rampage because he couldn't get laid.
Look who just woke up with morning glory.
Your mom?

real horrorshow

Post by real horrorshow »

Skep tickle wrote:
paddybrown wrote:
TheMan wrote:Celebrities read mean tweets about themselves... hilarious.

[youtube]imW392e6XR0[/youtube]
"David Blaine looks like his voice is putting his face to sleep" is actually pretty good.
Hilarious. Especially the last 2.
Last one gave me the horn.

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

New fun for folks near CFI L.A.

http://i.imgur.com/Y4dDMJF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ULZfDB7.jpg

Will wait to see if this group is just meeting at CFI LA (Like a lot of groups do), or something more.
The E.D. of CFI LA referred to it as a "partnership", however.
Will they never learn?

real horrorshow

BarnOwl wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:PZ has an opinion piece at time.com, religion section:

http://time.com/109050/a-nation-of-grow ... e-country/

I'd give it a C- for content & construction.

Aside from that, PZ, you may want to contact your editor there & have him/her/xir correct the typo in the bolded blurb at the top, which currently reads:
American religiosity is rapidly declining, bit [sic] it's no surprise that this trend is met with resistance and fear.
I'm a little surprised your editor didn't keep this sentence at the start of the 3rd paragraph from seeing the light of day without a rewrite:
As someone who speaks a fair amount at atheist conferences, Americans’ declining religiosity has been vivid over the last few decades: audiences are getting younger, larger and more diverse; there are rapidly rising numbers of new atheist organizations, especially among college-aged students; and atheism is attaining greater respectability and visibility.
And then there's the whole problem of having PZ Myers write about atheism in the US today, including ironic bits like his line about the internet allowing "fair and open exchange of ideas".
Apparently the editor missed other sentences:
Such religious organizations exist now, but they would have to replace the dominant, strident form of reactionary religion that dominates the discourse today.
Dominant things dominate. Who knew?
Where once a community could isolate its members from heretical ideas, now it’s easy and confidential to sit quietly at home and browse sites that disagree vociferously with all kinds of ideas
Not in the US ... watch the recent Frontline program on Edward Snowden and the NSA. :shock:
It's just as I said the other day, when Skeptickle referred back to Little Paul's old post on why atheism = radfem (which it doesn't, of course). I hadn't actually read the whole thing before. It's appalling.

The man cannot construct and present a coherent argument. He's got a vague idea of what he wants to be true and a crop-full of catch phrases he can vomit up when stimulated, but he often gets lost between the capital letter and the fill stop. Steering a course for the length of a paragraph is quite beyond him.

real horrorshow

didymos wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I don't know if I can grade an anime fairly on racism since all the characters are Japanese and therefore PoC
The bit after was ever better:
Though I do note that not all the characters in this series are Japanese. One recurring character is South Asian, I remember that for sure. And if she got the same treatment from a white boy that she gets from our title character, I'd be pissed by the racism.
So, take the exact same behavior and just change the skin color, and it magically becomes racist. Hey, Social Justice Cocktwat: you may not be aware of this but in Japan, the Japanese people actually run things. I.e., they wield institutional power, so even by your retarded standards it's still fucking racist. Jesus.
Also, try telling the Japanese that they're "PoC". There's a reason why Japan's population is recorded as 98.5% Japanese. The Japanese census doesn't ask about ethnic origin. If you are naturalised Japanese, you count as Japanese. And you'd better act Japanese too.

As usual, the SJWs are patronising people they know nothing about. Neither the Japanese, nor any other East Asian culture is waiting for permission from a bunch of Merkins for their xenophobia. No one is beating their breasts or feeling guilty about it either. Baka gaijin!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Really? wrote:
[youtube]CTOoYxOf92s[/youtube]
I've rewatched that video (again), and I have to say: markmark's response to the kid is WAYYYYYY over the top. Kid pushes the preacher's arm, MM responds with a neck-grab and floor throw. Nope, not cool at all.
Kid seems to have issues, and I'm not talking SJW issues here. Real issues. This MM guy is the bigger douche in this exchange.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

I'm considering switching from a 3-blade disposable razor to a traditional safety razor. What do I need to know to avoid shaving my face off?

Ta!
Straight razors are the only way to go. Here's a damascus steel and mammoth ivory beauty I bought in 2006:
IMG_0199-1.jpg
(224.66 KiB) Downloaded 221 times

welch

Post by welch »

screwtape wrote:

Ta!
Straight razors are the only way to go. Here's a damascus steel and mammoth ivory beauty I bought in 2006:
IMG_0199-1.jpg
Pussy.

This is what a man shaves with:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51prpQLYw0L.jpg

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

BarnOwl wrote:FtB commenter Matt Penfold joins in:

https://twitter.com/SecularCouncil/stat ... 1789929472

:roll:
Another important lesson from Matt:
That's proper SJL thinking. Don't actually try to do anything. You'll probably get it slightly wrong. Instead do nothing and criticize anyone who does anything.

dogen

Post by dogen »

screwtape wrote:

Ta!
IMG_0199-1.jpg
Can you justify your stance? What advantages are offered by a straight razor?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Richard Dworkins wrote:If cultural appropriation is an issue, then can use evil white men have the words queer and nigger back? Can these shrieking north american idiots find their own language to use rather than appropriating english? Can they stop appending their nationality with the nationality of some vaguely related ancestors? And as I'm sure most of them are not the original inhabitants of that land, can they all just fuck off? And no, the countries of their ancestors are not their countries to appropriate either.

Blithering idiots the lot of them.

And surprise surprise, P.Z. Myers wants to knife Christians. What if it was a young female Christian, would the cognitive dissonance give him a stroke? That man is human slurry.
lol, that's a good point. Slavery is part of my cultural heritage, why can't I go around talking about how glorious plantations built this country? Why can't I say words like "nigger" and "faggot" which my culture invented (or popularized)? Since the SJL claims white men are EVIL RACIST SEXIST SCUM, I should try to live up to their hysteria. Nazi Germany is part of my cultural heritage. Maybe I should show up at one of these cultural pride social justice events (online or in real life) and talk about my Nazi culture and how valuable it is?

Black people aren't allowed to drink German-style beer. Asians aren't allowed to eat polish sausage. Fuck off, you culture-appropriating pricks! Stop stealing my culture!

Or maybe the SJL should start treating individuals as individuals, not a fucking borg collective who each representing their race, class, gender (or other circumstances of birth) who must answer (or benefit) for the crimes/victimhood of their entire group.

You know, the SJL really do come across like Stormfront when they cry and whine about how culture mixing is bad. The only difference is that white supremacists are consistent. As far as I can tell, "cultural appropriation" in practice works out to the "victim class" being able to do everything, and the "oppressor class" being able to do nothing. Your average white supremacist thinks that all races should stop mixing and stick to their own cultures and countries. That's at least more logically-consistent with someone who claims to not like cultural appropriation.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

BarnOwl wrote:I iz ded nao, slain by teh ironies:
Also, the movie itself was an elaborate exercise in projection. The academics were all portrayed as dogmatic and authoritarian and rather stupid — even the debate which was supposedly the core of this movie consisted of the Christian protagonist and atheist professor exchanging rounds of quotes from their respective corners.
:lol:
I just spent six years at university.

Oh no, academics are never dogmatic, authoritarian or stupid. :roll: Totes strawman.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Or maybe the SJL should start treating individuals as individuals, not a fucking borg collective who each representing their race, class, gender (or other circumstances of birth) who must answer (or benefit) for the crimes/victimhood of their entire group.
When you're a willing part of a Borg collective you see everyone else as part of a Borg collective.

real horrorshow

katamari Damassi wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I'm one of those weirdos who think Ben Affleck can potentially make a great Batman.
I'm one of those weirdo's who thinks no one can make a good Batman, because Batman is totally fucking stupid.
I think Batman could work as a period piece. Set it in 1940 when the character was first written. I'd see that movie.
I'm not much of a one for superheroes because the origin stories are usually very silly and the remainder not much better. I prefer Batman to most of them, simply because he's at least vaguely plausible. I mean a guy who works out a lot and has the money for gadgets is less silly than: Bitten by spider - can now stick to walls. However, all of them pale beside Watchmen, where - Dr Manhattan aside - you had fully plausible characters. They didn't even screw it up with the movie.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I prefer Batman to most of them, simply because he's at least vaguely plausible.
Why should a movie be plausible, though? It's fiction, it doesn't have to look real, it only has to be coherent enough to be enjoyable. Action movies in general aren't plausible, as they're mostly the story of one guy who's a superb crack shot against an army of idiots who always miss. Superhero movies are simply action movies scaled up.

In my opinion, a movie is good when it's entertaining. There are different ways to entertain, and not all of them require being gritty and realistic. After all some great movies are completely bonkers and yet everyone enjoys them.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

For the record. No matter what comes out as true in the end, Meyers calls it already:

http://i.imgur.com/SKvcKse.png

And here is the source of his info, some cunt who offers an internets diagnosis of "definitely fucking crazy", and then uses this "fact" to explain why the guy (definitely. No doubt.) was influenced by what everyone is calling MRA and PUA websites.

http://i.imgur.com/0rIMvr5.png

didymos

Post by didymos »

real horrorshow wrote: I'm not much of a one for superheroes because the origin stories are usually very silly and the remainder not much better.
Well, a lot of those origin stories are quite old, so I think they deserve a little slack. They were more plausible back in the day. And now the characters are kind of stuck with them precisely because of their age, as it's now tradition.

Really?

Post by Really? »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:For the record. No matter what comes out as true in the end, Meyers calls it already:

And here is the source of his info, some cunt who offers an internets diagnosis of "definitely fucking crazy", and then uses this "fact" to explain why the guy (definitely. No doubt.) was influenced by what everyone is calling MRA and PUA websites.

Well, if we apply PZ logic to the situation, the kid's mental illness excuses and justifies his actions.

Right, Ogvorbis?

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:For the record. No matter what comes out as true in the end, Meyers calls it already:

Apparently the shooter had made an anti PUA website. He sounds more like a feminist than an MRA.
That, and recalling Inaji, PZ, and others talk about murderous fantasies, he likely got the idea for his killing spree from Pharyngula.

Really?

Post by Really? »

free thoughtpolice wrote:

Apparently the shooter had made an anti PUA website. He sounds more like a feminist than an MRA.
That, and recalling Inaji, PZ, and others talk about murderous fantasies, he likely got the idea for his killing spree from Pharyngula.
Oh, shit. You're exactly right. What makes PZ's murderous fantasy okay, but not this kid's rhetoric?

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

dogen wrote:
screwtape wrote:

Ta!
IMG_0199-1.jpg
The satisfaction of doing a tricky job well, and rather excessive bragging rights. If your reason for giving up multiblade cartridge razors is ingrowing hairs (they are very good at causing them), then whilst you are right that a single blade DE or injector will cause less, the straight is better again. I have a drawer full of DE's, but I can't use them more than occasionally without getting some hair follicle in a twist and having to spend some time digging it out. If I do use a DE, the Merkur slant bar is the one I prefer. But straights are the best way, with a decent pre-Vulfix Simpson brush and home made shaving soap. But be warned that straights are addictive and you may end up with rather a lot. Plus strops and hones galore.

acathode

Post by acathode »

Kirbmarc wrote:
I prefer Batman to most of them, simply because he's at least vaguely plausible.
Why should a movie be plausible, though? It's fiction, it doesn't have to look real, it only has to be coherent enough to be enjoyable. Action movies in general aren't plausible, as they're mostly the story of one guy who's a superb crack shot against an army of idiots who always miss. Superhero movies are simply action movies scaled up.

In my opinion, a movie is good when it's entertaining. There are different ways to entertain, and not all of them require being gritty and realistic. After all some great movies are completely bonkers and yet everyone enjoys them.
Plausibility isn't the same thing as being realistic. Plausibility in entertainment is how good a story manage to sell it's base premises and internal logic to the watcher, how good those are constructed, and then how good it is at not breaking that internal logic and those premises.

Plausibility is extremely important in all entertainment, because it's the key to immersing the audience in the story, and when something is too implausible, it breaks that immersion, and that seriously affect the enjoyment for the audience.
A pretty simply example would be a dragon in a fantasy movie, which would be completely unrealistic, but it's plausible within the premisses and internal logic of the story, so it's not a problem. A fighter jet armed with a nuke on the other hand is quite realistic but would be completely implausible in the same fantasy movie, and it would utterly break the immersion of any audience unless it was very carefully explained just how it ended up in such a setting.

Basically, when the audience go "WTF? That doesn't make sense! That's just silly! Why would that happen?!", that's when you have a problem with plausibility.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Do we expect anything else from der PeeZuss Christ himself?

According to the Daily Flail article:
Rodger was a website forum called PUAHate.com, which describes itself as the 'Anti-Pickup-Artist Movement' and aims to reveal 'the scams, deception, and misleading marketing techniques used by dating gurus and the seduction community to deceive men and profit from them.'
When I clicked on the link to the to the PUAHate site I get the impression it is non compos mentis so I tried the wayback machine thingee:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140215040 ... e15e7a&f=2

Anyway, based on what I read about him (and taken with a grain of salt) seems to me he was more of a "Nice Guy" sort, more like this typerather than that type.

Anyway, it would not surprise me if it turns out he was more of a "White Knight" or a Captain "Save A Ho". We will see what develops.

I was also going to say something about Alyssa Funke earlier but I think I may as well mention it now:
The great indignity of Alyssa Funke’s 19-year-old life is not that she performed in a pornographic video, or that she was harassed by her former classmates. It is that two competing media narratives have tried to cast her life in black-and-white and claim her alleged suicide as a way to prove a point.
(she offed herself with a 12 gage shotgun after being outed)

Bottom line. We have some really despicable people in this world. PeeZuss Christ is one of them. No doubt in my mind what so ever.

Really?

Post by Really? »

AndrewV69 wrote:
The great indignity of Alyssa Funke’s 19-year-old life is not that she performed in a pornographic video, or that she was harassed by her former classmates. It is that two competing media narratives have tried to cast her life in black-and-white and claim her alleged suicide as a way to prove a point.
(she offed herself with a 12 gage shotgun after being outed)

Bottom line. We have some really despicable people in this world. PeeZuss Christ is one of them. No doubt in my mind what so ever.
WTF?!?!? That's terrible! Who's trying to make people think that pornography is bad and that women shouldn't be allowed to have as much sex as they like for whatever reason?

Oh.

http://s2.dmcdn.net/BT0TQ/526x297-lJY.jpg

(That's an awesome image, BTW.)

welch

Post by welch »

Ableism is okay when PZ does it.

welch

Post by welch »

Oh you and your "facts"

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

As a college educated guy who 2 degrees in sciences, I'm embarrassed to admit defeat on this, but can anyone help me solve the mystery of the disappearing ice cubes? I live alone. I fill the ice cube tray and forget about it. A couple of weeks later i go for an ice cube and the tray pretty much just has frost left in it.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

http://i.imgur.com/fHYYXiy.jpg

This "incel" thing is a new facet of complete dumbfuckery.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

He was also inspired by Davros:

'If you could release a virus that would kill every single man on Earth, except for yourself because you would have the antidote, would you do it? You will be the only man left, with all the females. You would be able to have your pick of any beautiful woman you want, as well as having dealt vengeance on the men who took them from you. Imagine how satisfying that would be.'

[youtube]dkelV2WUNdw[/youtube]

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

screwtape wrote:
dogen wrote:
screwtape wrote: Straight razors are the only way to go. Here's a damascus steel and mammoth ivory beauty I bought in 2006:
IMG_0199-1.jpg
The satisfaction of doing a tricky job well, and rather excessive bragging rights. If your reason for giving up multiblade cartridge razors is ingrowing hairs (they are very good at causing them), then whilst you are right that a single blade DE or injector will cause less, the straight is better again. I have a drawer full of DE's, but I can't use them more than occasionally without getting some hair follicle in a twist and having to spend some time digging it out. If I do use a DE, the Merkur slant bar is the one I prefer. But straights are the best way, with a decent pre-Vulfix Simpson brush and home made shaving soap. But be warned that straights are addictive and you may end up with rather a lot. Plus strops and hones galore.
I tested lots (!) of brands/manufs and found the Muehle heads, open and closed, to be the best (also marketed by EJ).
Muehle R41 open comb with a soft blade = best everyday-tool you can possibly get. Even sold my Zwilling Friodur for it.
Because I have a sensitive skin, I use Neo-Ballistol as pre/afterhave. A problem free setup.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Laughing my ass off at the PZ Meyer's stuff -esp the "Straight outta Compton" ripoff that Welch did, and that photoshop everybody keeps reposting.
Also, the stuff about me and Suey is hilarious. Yes, even the exaggerated part about my 'manboobz'.

Unfortunately it's not all laughs as the posts on that narcasistic killing idiot from California make clear.
I did some research and it's clear he was:
A. Anti- PUA
B. Whatever his video said his actual victims seem to have been more of an indiscriminate type
C. Crazy as a loon.

I'm sure nothing good will come out of this . It seems that three things are being blamed and arguably none of them had much of a 'hand' in this mess:
1. MRA's/PUA's
2. Guns
3. Shy, awkward, nerdy or in any way 'creepy' men.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Clarence wrote:Laughing my ass off at the PZ Meyer's stuff -esp the "Straight outta Compton" ripoff that Welch did, and that photoshop everybody keeps reposting.
Also, the stuff about me and Suey is hilarious. Yes, even the exaggerated part about my 'manboobz'.

Unfortunately it's not all laughs as the posts on that narcasistic killing idiot from California make clear.
I did some research and it's clear he was:
A. Anti- PUA
B. Whatever his video said his actual victims seem to have been more of an indiscriminate type
C. Crazy as a loon.

I'm sure nothing good will come out of this . It seems that three things are being blamed and arguably none of them had much of a 'hand' in this mess:
1. MRA's/PUA's
2. Guns
3. Shy, awkward, nerdy or in any way 'creepy' men.
Agreed. He was clearly fucked in the head and needed MASSIVE help.

But it's easier to blame patriarchy.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

katamari Damassi wrote:As a college educated guy who 2 degrees in sciences, I'm embarrassed to admit defeat on this, but can anyone help me solve the mystery of the disappearing ice cubes? I live alone. I fill the ice cube tray and forget about it. A couple of weeks later i go for an ice cube and the tray pretty much just has frost left in it.
I feel ya.
Same thing happens with me. It seems there's always one tray with half filled cubes, but I hardly ever use ice and my brother likes LOTS of ice so when he drinks something he always puts a complete tray of 8 or 10 in.
I have two freezers, I store ice and make ice in both, and it always seems to happen to one or two trays that in the big, refrigerator- sized one.

DownThunder

Post by DownThunder »

Lets take a quick score:

1. Anti-PUA
2. Entertains idea of exterminating the male population
3. Generally wealthy and spoiled
4. Hates blondes

Probably a feminist.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

katamari Damassi wrote:As a college educated guy who 2 degrees in sciences, I'm embarrassed to admit defeat on this, but can anyone help me solve the mystery of the disappearing ice cubes? I live alone. I fill the ice cube tray and forget about it. A couple of weeks later i go for an ice cube and the tray pretty much just has frost left in it.
Sublimation of ice in your frost-free freezer.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Reading the comments at PZ's "killer=PUA/MRA" thread.

One comment has an amusing pronoun reference problem:
ekwhite wrote:24 May 2014 at 3:50 pm (UTC -5) Link to this comment

In all fairness to PZ, CNN has been describing him as “severely mentally disturbed.” ...

Really?

Post by Really? »

Skep tickle wrote:Reading the comments at PZ's "killer=PUA/MRA" thread.

In all fairness to PZ, CNN has been describing him as “severely mentally disturbed.” ...
First Time Magazine and now CNN? Peezus is having a banner week!

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Skep tickle wrote:
That would be my guess as well. Put the trays in a plastic bag. Easy fix.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Fact-checking PZ's killer=PUA thread comments (a couple of them that make some claim).

Comment #108, Goodbye Enemy Janine writes:
Just to set the record straight, Elliot Rodger murdered six women. I do not consider his death to be part of the death toll.
The media are quoting a man who says his son Christopher was killed. Now, it's not impossible that Christopher identified as a woman, but I suspect it's more likely that Janine is simply making an erroneous assumption.

Edited to add: Apparently 3 bodies have been taken from Rodger's apartment, and his threats included killing his roommates. That might not have been reported at the time Janine posted (but I'm still guessing that her "6 women" statment was an assumption). It's not clear at this time if those are among the total of 7 dead. But if they were, and if (as is possible) his roommates were male, that would suggest 5 men killed by Rodger (including himself) + 2 women killed by Rodger. Does that change how PZ & his commenters would react to the event?

_____

Comment (#46) states (without link) that "Apparently the MRM is aalready lionizing him as a hero and a martyr." (In that post, it's clearer that "him" refers to Rodger, not PZ.)

I went looking for some evidence of that and landed on the (a?) [url= http://www.reddit.com/r/againstmensrights/comments/26drfl/concerning_elliot_rodger_the_isla_vista_mass/]anti-MRA reddit[/url]. I think it's been mentioned here occasionally in the past but I've never checked it out.

That page features this delightful image in the right-hand sidebar:
http://i.imgur.com/5KEH7PC.png?1

("Not all men" has already made a sarcastic appearance in the comment thread.)

Oh, and I haven't yet stumbled across any support for the claim that "the MRM" is praising Rodger.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Hunt wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Yeah, or just get a freezer that's not 'frost-free'. That would do the trick, too. :)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Hunt wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Sweet!

Now I have a couple of other issues that I need solving.

1). Wire hanger asexual reproduction.
Anyone who has left a single wire hanger left alone in a closet for any length of time knows what I am talking about. These things are like Tribbles! WTF do you do about it?

2). Socks in the Washing Machine.
Through diligent experimentation I have (partially) solved the issue where if one places an even number of socks in the washing machine one will disappear (or so I thought at first) during washing with the result that one will find an odd number of socks once the cycle is complete.

What I found was that placing an odd number of socks in the washing machine will result in an odd number of socks left once the wash cycle was complete.

So far so good, till I noticed to my horror that the number of odd socks was a variable. Sometimes the number of socks retrieved from the machine was greater than the number of socks that were input!!!

Please someone tell me how to get the same number of socks out of the machine that you put in it?

(I never noticed all these years because generally when I buy socks, shirts etc. I get a ten day supply and they are all identical).

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote:
Oh, shit. You're exactly right. What makes PZ's murderous fantasy okay, but not this kid's rhetoric?
"This kid" had a penis.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Aneris wrote:Love the fine laconic humour leaking out of this one...
She uses the word "pale", not the more common "white".

The opposite of "pale" is not "black", nor is it "of color".

It is "dark".

Opheliar Benson calls POCs "darkies".

QED.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Since the subject of EP came up recently once more I thought I would drop this off, Misrepresentations of evolutionary psychology in sex and gender textbooks
Evolutionary Psychology 12(3): 474-508 Benjamin M. Winegard, Department of Psychological Science, the University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, USA., bmw8vb@mail.missouri.eduBo M. Winegard, Department of Psychology, Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA.Robert O. Deaner, Department of Psychology, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI, USA.
Abstract

Evolutionary psychology has provoked controversy, especially when applied to human sex differences. We hypothesize that this is partly due to misunderstandings of evolutionary psychology that are perpetuated by undergraduate sex and gender textbooks. As an initial test of this hypothesis, we develop a catalog of eight types of errors and document their occurrence in 15 widely used sex and gender textbooks. Consistent with our hypothesis, of the 12 textbooks that discussed evolutionary psychology, all contained at least one error, and the median number of errors was five. The most common types of errors were “Straw Man,” “Biological Determinism,” and “Species Selection.” We conclude by suggesting improvements to undergraduate sex and gender textbooks.
Keywords

textbooks, evolutionary psychology, sex differences, sex and gender studies

Full article

Download PDF (free)

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Hunt wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:quote katamari Damassi: "As a college educated guy who 2 degrees in sciences, I'm embarrassed to admit defeat on this, but can anyone help me solve the mystery of the disappearing ice cubes? I live alone. I fill the ice cube tray and forget about it. A couple of weeks later i go for an ice cube and the tray pretty much just has frost left in it."

Sweet!

Now I have a couple of other issues that I need solving.

1). Wire hanger asexual reproduction.
Anyone who has left a single wire hanger left alone in a closet for any length of time knows what I am talking about. These things are like Tribbles! WTF do you do about it?

2). Socks in the Washing Machine.
Through diligent experimentation I have (partially) solved the issue where if one places an even number of socks in the washing machine one will disappear (or so I thought at first) during washing with the result that one will find an odd number of socks once the cycle is complete.

What I found was that placing an odd number of socks in the washing machine will result in an odd number of socks left once the wash cycle was complete.

So far so good, till I noticed to my horror that the number of odd socks was a variable. Sometimes the number of socks retrieved from the machine was greater than the number of socks that were input!!!

Please someone tell me how to get the same number of socks out of the machine that you put in it?

(I never noticed all these years because generally when I buy socks, shirts etc. I get a ten day supply and they are all identical).
Jesus, Andrew! Don't you even know this basic household stuff?

Put your socks in the freezer, your wire hangers in the washing machine, and your ice cube trays in the closet.

Problems all solved! ;)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

There is someone living in your ceiling.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Aneris wrote:Love the fine laconic humour leaking out of this one...
She uses the word "pale", not the more common "white".

The opposite of "pale" is not "black", nor is it "of color".

It is "dark".

Opheliar Benson calls POCs "darkies".

QED.
What a good observation. Ophelia, care to comment?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

welch wrote:

Oh you and your "facts"
The radio reported this morning (FWIW) that he was seriously mentally ill, had been diagnosed when he was a lot younger, and was undergoing treatment, i.e. pills and therapy.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Skep tickle wrote:Reading the comments at PZ's "killer=PUA/MRA" thread.

In that case we should probably lay off PZ a bit. He might go postal with a butter knife.