Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Dick Strawkins

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Ape+lust wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
As usual, Ophelia is a squalling hypocrite. She'll never allow that this is doing the same:

http://imgur.com/kZTV7oe.png
Well, to be completely fair, which I sometimes try to do, there's a difference between making fun of someone's 'nym and making fun of their real name. But wasn't she one of the people pointedly calling Richard Dawkin's 'Dick' during ElevatorGate?
No, her charge, as it always is, is that using something other than someone's preferred name is childish. She's being childish. Ophelia always tweezes off special exemptions for herself.

When she wrote that post about myself and mordacious1 - she trawled through the pit archives and found a couple of comments where we mentioned her revealing part of the Jesus and Mo authors identity (and quite enough for his full identity to be figured out) - she called both of us "lying bastards!"

The funny part, however, is that she actually insisted on calling me "Richard Strawkins" rather than my pit nym :lol: :lol:

I'm sure a Freudian analysist would have a field day with Ms Benson.

So come on Ophelia, you are quite capabable of changing people's names when it suits you.
:snooty:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Dick Strawkins:
I don't think a Freudian analyst would want to touch FfTB OR The Pit with a 20 foot pole to be honest. As interaction with either group would color their judgement of the other group.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Ape+lust wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Ape+lust wrote:
As usual, Ophelia is a squalling hypocrite. She'll never allow that this is doing the same:

http://imgur.com/kZTV7oe.png
Well, to be completely fair, which I sometimes try to do, there's a difference between making fun of someone's 'nym and making fun of their real name. But wasn't she one of the people pointedly calling Richard Dawkin's 'Dick' during ElevatorGate?
No, her charge, as it always is, is that using something other than someone's preferred name is childish. She's being childish. Ophelia always tweezes off special exemptions for herself.
I still don't think it qualifies as hypocrisy. For starters, she's probably limiting the scope of her charge to the actual name a person wants to be called, not a pseudonym. Secondly, it is kind of childish. I may do it on rare occasions, and when I do I know it's just childish fun. And even if she did, childishly, call Thunderfoot 'Blunderfoot', it's not really hypocrisy to expect better of a professional organization.

But it's a minor point not worth going back and forth about, and I'm happy to agree to disagree.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

I think if the Secular Council treats idiots with the contempt they so richly deserve, more power to them.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Sulman wrote:I think if the Secular Council treats idiots with the contempt they so richly deserve, more power to them.
They should treat Ophelia with the respect she deserves - and just ignore her completely.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

So I am watching episode 2 of the History Channel show and Dr. Karen Stollznow makes an appearance.

http://www.history.ca/miracles-decoded/

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Opyt wrote:MY GOD that's hilarious. You people need to stop calling her Ofie. Clearly it's offended her, and she's probably finding it hard to be taken seriously as a victim.
Somehow I am under the impression that till recently 'pitters have not been in the habit of calling her Ofie. That might change now though.

I have been calling her OB but Oafie just seems to fit better?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Sulman wrote:I think if the Secular Council treats idiots with the contempt they so richly deserve, more power to them.
I have to admit I enjoyed it even if it is, to coin a phrase, problematic. And if their intent is to pick a fight with this noxious crew, absolutely more power to them.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Opyt wrote:MY GOD that's hilarious. You people need to stop calling her Ofie. Clearly it's offended her, and she's probably finding it hard to be taken seriously as a victim.
Somehow I am under the impression that till recently 'pitters have not been in the habit of calling her Ofie. That might change now though.

I didn't seriously think it was anyone here doing it, and I can say for a fact that it wasn't in the last 10 or so pages. And she's been mentioned in at least one of those prior to this "Ofie" business. I definitely appreciate the person(s) behind it though, as it made this afternoon amusing. :lol:

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

jugheadnaut wrote:
I have to admit I enjoyed it even if it is, to coin a phrase, problematic. And if their intent is to pick a fight with this noxious crew, absolutely more power to them.
It could be that the person responsible has more perspective than us, and is fully aware that these people are - at the end of the day - nobodies.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

My 1st. sighting of the year of the 400lb male black bear happened just now (he does not look as though he has put on any weight from last year) and this is the first time I have seen him charge (a neighbour's black lab).

The dog spotted him lurking in the bushes and put up so much of an uproar that the bear came out and charged the fence the dog was behind, then retreated just as he got to the fence.

Now I have run off this bear previously just by talking to him in a conversational tone to let him know that I was near. When I say "run him off" all that happened was that the bear put distance between us without actually running.

*shrug*

Anyway, even though I know how fast they can move, I was still impressed at how much ground the bear covered in a second. Faster than I can run at any rate.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

Tigzy wrote:Peez's latest post concerns a wonderful new article which, apparently, is proof positive that the old, rapey white guys like Dawkins et al are on the way out, and are being replaced by strident, dynamic and much less rapey 'strong new voices':
It's funny. They act like Dawkins hasn't written three other bestselling books since 2006 with a fourth in the pipeline. Not to be morbid but the man will almost certainly drop dead before he stops being relevant.

If you want to talk about irrelevant old white men, how about one in particular whose much-anticipated first and only book sank like a stone to the bottom of the Amazon sales rankings practically the instant it was finally released?

And with regard to Greta, pretty much everything I've gleaned about her new book indicates it's nothing new at all and about as timely as bell bottoms.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

Opyt wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:

I didn't seriously think it was anyone here doing it, and I can say for a fact that it wasn't in the last 10 or so pages. And she's been mentioned in at least one of those prior to this "Ofie" business. I definitely appreciate the person(s) behind it though, as it made this afternoon amusing. :lol:
There's so many better things to call old cobweb cunt, why would anyone here settle for an innocent little "oafie"

P.s. I wish people could decide if it is "oafie" or "ofie" "oaphie" or another version, that must be quite distressing for her

P.p.s I prefer "oaf"

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

(I apologize in advance if this post violates forum policy. If so, mods please remove.)

Greetings, fellow Canadian 'Pitters! This weekend I'm participating in an event called the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer, a 2 day, 200+ km bike ride from Toronto to Niagara Falls to raise money for the Princess Margaret Foundation, one of the top 5 cancer research foundations in the world. This has become Canada's largest charity bike event, raising $99 million in the six previous years of its existence, and another $20 million raised so far this year. You can find out more about the ride here:

http://to14.conquercancer.ca/site/PageS ... 4_homepage

From my long time lurking, I know cancer has touched the lives of many 'Pitters recently. I myself was motivated to do this ride after my girlfriend was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer last summer. Her treatment is finished now and she's doing great! Many aspects of her treatment weren't available as little as 10 years ago, and made her care both more effective and less oppressive. With continuing research, cancer will eventually become a fully preventable, manageable or curable disease.

If you'd like to contribute, please PM me and I'll send you a link to my page on the Conquer Cancer web site where you can make a tax-deductible online donation. Non-Canadians are of course free to contribute, but it likely won't be tax deductible. Thanks!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

jugheadnaut wrote:
I still don't think it qualifies as hypocrisy. For starters, she's probably limiting the scope of her charge to the actual name a person wants to be called, not a pseudonym. Secondly, it is kind of childish. I may do it on rare occasions, and when I do I know it's just childish fun. And even if she did, childishly, call Thunderfoot 'Blunderfoot', it's not really hypocrisy to expect better of a professional organization.

But it's a minor point not worth going back and forth about, and I'm happy to agree to disagree.
Oh, just feck off, Juggleballs!

Apples

Post by Apples »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:There's so many better things to call old cobweb cunt, why would anyone here settle for an innocent little "oafie"

P.s. I wish people could decide if it is "oafie" or "ofie" "oaphie" or another version, that must be quite distressing for her

P.p.s I prefer "oaf"
In the last few days alone Southern I believe offered "the copypasta mummy" and Dworkins burst forth with "the grey sunken cunt." It doesn't get any better than that.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4150930176/h0C53F7D9/

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:

:lol:
Oh, you're just being childish, plus you've got real-name privilege so I can't make fun of it. Maybe your band's name? Pherryland? I'll come up with something. ;)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:[youtube]LFJK_qxmVRc[/youtube]
You'd find more laughs in a burning orphanage. The true hallmark of Jamie Kilstein's comedy.
They should have him in blackface. It would have illustrated their inherent bigotry better. And it might have been funny in a horrible sort of way instead of just pathetic.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:

Oh, you're just being childish, plus you've got real-name privilege so I can't make fun of it. Maybe your band's name? Pherryland? I'll come up with something. ;)
Nay, have a ball with my name. my Florida friends used to call me Phil-My-Nuts.

Regarding names, I mostly use last name for people I don't like much. First name privilege is for people I respect. So for me, Benson is just, well, Benson.

Kenteken

Post by Kenteken »

Perhaps it's been posted before, but I found this an interesting read.

How Dads Influence Teens' Happiness
The influence of fathers on their teenage children has long been overlooked. Now researchers are finding surprising ways in which dads make a difference
http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... happiness/

The patriarchy strikes again.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

That would almost be as bad as calling you "Pills"
[youtube]Ncq7PLB6kk0[/youtube]

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Tribble wrote:
The ironic thing is that it's the same kind of lying garbage that racists in America have done to marginalize Blacks, Irish, Italians, Jews, Indians, Japanese, Chinese and many others over the past 200+ years.

If these kinds of made-up stats were used against blacks, or any other ethnic minority today, you could be sure the majority of the bigots who perpetrate this against men would immediately attack the people making those slurs. You'd see the ACLU (correctly) decry it. You'd see the Southern Poverty Law Center (correctly) decry it. You'd see all of the 'liberal' politicians (correctly) making hay over it. It'd be (correctly) on the front page of The Daily Kos, the Huffington Post, etc. for months, if not years.

But bigotry toward men as a group, and especially white men as a sub-group... Cricket's chirping.
There was recently a feminist article written by a male feminist called "A Gentleman's Guide to Rape Culture."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/zaron-bur ... 40553.html

Well, 6oodfella posted a video about this, but one of the comments was even funnier. Someone took the entire article and changed a few words, creating "A Nigga's Guide to Murder Culture."
A Nigga's Guide to Murder Culture

If you are a black person, you are part of murder culture. I know … that sounds rough. You’re not a murderer, necessarily. But you do perpetuate the attitudes and behaviors commonly referred to as murder culture.

You may be thinking, “Now, hold up, Zaron! You don’t know me, homey! I’ll be damned if I’m gonna let you say I’m some sorta fan of murder. That’s not me, nigga!”

I totally know how you feel. That was pretty much exactly my response when someone told me I was a part of murder culture. It sounds horrible. But just imagine moving through the world, always afraid you could be murdered. That’s even worse! Murder culture sucks for everyone involved. But don’t get hung up on the terminology. Don’t concentrate on the words that offend you and ignore what they’re pointing to — the words “murder culture” aren’t the problem. The reality they describe is the problem.

Black people are the primary agents and sustainers of murder culture.

Murder isn't exclusively committed by black people. White people aren't the only victims — black people murder black people, white people murder black people — but what makes murder a black people’s problem, our problem, is the fact that black people commit 99% of reported murders.

How are you part of murder culture? Well, I hate to say it, but it’s because you’re a black person.

When I cross a parking lot at night and see a white person ahead of me, I do whatever I feel is appropriate to make them aware of me so that a) I don’t startle them b) they have time to make themselves feel safe/comfortable and c) if it’s possible, I can approach in a way that’s clearly friendly, in order to let them know I’m not a threat. I do this because I’m a black person.

Basically, I acknowledge every white person I meet on the street, or in an elevator, or in a stairway, or wherever, in a way that indicates they’re safe. I want them to feel just as comfortable as if I weren't there. I accept that any white person I encounter in public doesn't know me, and thus, all they see is a black person — one who is suddenly near them. I have to keep in mind their sense of space and that my presence might make them feel vulnerable. That’s the key factor — vulnerability.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t spend much of my life feeling vulnerable. I've come to learn that white people spend most of their social lives with ever-present, unavoidable feelings of vulnerability. Stop and think about that. Imagine always feeling like you could be at risk, like you were living with glass skin.

As modern black people we must seek out danger. We choose adventures and extreme sports in order to feel like we’re in jeopardy. We make games of our vulnerability. That’s how differently black people see the world from white people. (Obviously, stated with full acknowledgment that there’s a vibrant community of extreme athletes that are white people, who regularly risk their safety as well. However, white people don’t need to engage in adrenalin sports to feel at-risk.)

Now, I stand about a finger of tequila under six feet. I work out and would say I’m in decent shape, which means when I’m out alone at night, I rarely ever fear for my safety. Many black people know exactly what I mean. Most white people have no idea what that feels like — to go wherever you want in the world, at any time of day or night, and feel you won’t have a problem. In fact, many white people have the exact opposite experience.

A white person must consider where they are going, what time of day it is, what time they will arrive at their destination and what time they will leave their destination, what day of the week is it, if they will be left alone at any point … the considerations go on and on because they are far more numerous than you or I can imagine. Honestly, I can’t conceive of having to think that much about what I need to do to protect myself at any given moment in my life. I relish the freedom of getting up and going, day or night, rain or shine, Westside or downtown. As black people we can enjoy this particular extreme luxury of movement and freedom of choice. In order to understand murder culture, remember this is a freedom that at least half the population doesn't enjoy.

That’s why I go out of my way to use clear body language and act in a way that helps minimize a white person’s fear and any related feelings. I recommend you do the same. It’s seriously, like, the least any black person can do in public to make white people feel more comfortable in the world we share. Just be considerate of them and their space.

You may think it’s unfair that we have to counteract and adjust ourselves for the ill behavior of other black people. You know what? You’re right. It is unfair. Is that the fault of white people? Or is it the fault of the black people who act abysmally and make the rest of us look bad? If issues of fairness bother you, get mad at the black people who make you and your actions appear questionable.

Because when it comes to assessing a black person, whatever one black person is capable of, a white person must presume you are capable of. Unfortunately, that means all black people must be judged by our worst example. If you think that sort of stereotyping is bullshit, how do you treat a snake you come across in the wild?

…You treat it like a snake, right? Well, that’s not stereotyping, that’s acknowledging an animal for what it’s capable of doing and the harm it can inflict. Simple rules of the jungle, nigga. Since you are a black person, white people must treat you as such.

The completely reasonable and understandable fear of black people is your responsibility. You didn't create it. But you also didn't build the freeways either. Some of the things you inherit from society are cool and some of them are murder culture.

Since no white person can accurately judge you or your intentions on sight, you are assumed to be like all other black people. 73% of the time a white person knows their murderer. Now, if they can’t trust and accurately assess the intentions of black people they know, how can you expect them to ever feel that they can accurately assess you, a complete stranger? Murder prevention is not just about white people teaching white people how not to get murdered — it’s about black people not committing murder.

Murder prevention is about the fact that a black person must understand that saying “no” doesn’t mean “yes,” that when a white person is too drunk/drugged to respond that doesn’t mean “yes,” that being in a relationship doesn’t mean “yes.” Rather than focus on how white people can avoid murder, or how murder culture makes an innocent black person feel suspect, our focus should be: how do we, as black people, stop murders from occurring, and how do we dismantle the structures that dismiss it and change the attitudes that tolerate it?

Since you are a part of it, you ought to know what murder culture is.

Continued in Part 2

ButterCup

Post by ButterCup »

Tigzy wrote:Peez's latest post concerns a wonderful new article which, apparently, is proof positive that the old, rapey white guys like Dawkins et al are on the way out, and are being replaced by strident, dynamic and much less rapey 'strong new voices':
But in 2014, Hitchens is dead, and using Dawkins or Harris to make a case for or against atheism is about as relevant as writing about how Nirvana and Public Enemy are going to change pop music forever.
Snip

Never really heard of Chris Hall.
But apparently Chris is indeed a fan of the FreeThought Blogs:

http://i.imgur.com/kgF2V43.png

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Kenteken wrote:Perhaps it's been posted before, but I found this an interesting read.

How Dads Influence Teens' Happiness
The influence of fathers on their teenage children has long been overlooked. Now researchers are finding surprising ways in which dads make a difference
The patriarchy strikes again.
Even if it didn't "strike" it'd still be patriarchy, because SCIENCE! The topic came up a day or two ago about the difference between single mother/single father/both parents. This article wasn't cited though :clap:

James Caruthers

According to Marshall University’s White People’s Center website:

Murder Culture is an environment in which murder is prevalent and in which any violence against white people is normalized and excused in the media and popular culture. Murder culture is perpetuated through the use of racist language, the objectification of white people’s bodies, and the glamorization of any violence, thereby creating a society that disregards white people’s rights and safety.

When a white person first told me I was part of murder culture, I wanted to disagree for obvious reasons. Like many of you I wanted to say, “Whoa, that ain't me.” Instead, I listened. Later, I approached a writer I respect. I asked them to write an article with me, wherein they’d explain murder culture to me and to black readers. They stopped returning my emails.

At first, I was annoyed. Then as it became clear they weren't going to respond at all, I actually got mad. Luckily, I've learned one shouldn't immediately respond when they feel flashes of anger. Thunder is impressive but it’s the rain that nourishes life. So I let that storm pass and thought about it. I took a walk. They seem to jangle my best thoughts loose.

Blocks from my house, in front of a car wash it dawned on me. If murder culture is so important to me I needed to find out for my self what it is. No white person owes me their time just because I want to know about something they inherently understand. No white person should feel they have to explain murder culture to me just because I want to know what it is. No white person owes me shit. I saw how my desire to kill a white person ran deep. Even my curiosity, a trait that always made me proud, was marred with the same sort of negro-centric presumption that fuels murder culture. I expected to be a murderer. That attitude is the problem. I started reading and kept reading until I understood murder culture and my part in it.

Here’s a bullet-point list of examples of murder culture.

· Blaming the victim (“They asked for it!”)

· Trivializing any assault (“Niggers will be niggers!”)

· Graphically explicit jokes

· Tolerance of any harassment

· Inflating false murder report statistics

· Publicly scrutinizing a victim’s dress, mental state, motives, and history

· Gratuitous racial violence in movies and television

· Defining “blackness” as dominant and violently aggressive

· Defining “whiteness” as submissive and passive

· Pressure on black people to “kill”

· Pressure on white people to not appear “racist”

· Assuming only racist white people get murdered

· Assuming that black people don’t get murdered or that only “weak” black people get murdered

· Refusing to take murder accusations seriously

· Teaching white people to avoid getting murdered instead of teaching black people not to murder

You’ll quickly find that murder culture plays a central role in all the social dynamics of our time. It’s at the heart of all our personal interactions. It’s part of all our social, societal and environmental struggles. Murder culture is not just about killing. It is the product of a generalized attitude of black supremacy. Any violence is one expression of that attitude. Again, don’t let the terminology spook you. Don’t get hung up on the term “black supremacy.” The term isn't the problem. The problem is that murder culture hurts everyone involved. Antiquated African-American notions of society make it difficult for black people to come forward as murder victims just as much as they foster a desire for a black person to be seen as powerful and violently aggressive. Black people shouldn't feel threatened or attacked when white people point out murder culture — they’re telling us about our common enemy. We ought to listen.

Now that you know what it is, what can you do about murder culture?

· Avoid using language that threatens or offends white people

· Speak out if you hear someone else making an offensive joke or trivializing murder

· If a friend has been murdered, take it seriously and be supportive of their friends and family

· Think critically about the media’s messages about white people, black people, and violence

· Be respectful of others’ physical space even in casual situations

· Always communicate with any partners and do not assume consent

· Define your own blackness or whiteness. Do not let stereotypes shape your actions.

What else can you do about murder culture when you experience it IRL?

1. Black People can confront black people.

No one is suggesting violence. In fact, that’s what we’re looking to avoid. But sometimes, a black person needs to confront another black person or a group of black people in a situation. When I’m out in public and I see a black person hassling a white person, I stop for a moment. I make sure the white person sees me. I want them to know I’m fully aware of what’s happening. I wait for a moment for a clear indication from them of whether they need help. Sometimes, the people involved will continue right on fighting like I’m just a hickory tree. Other times, the white person will make it clear they’d like backup and I approach the situation. I've never had to get violent. Usually, my presence alone makes the guy leave if they’re a stranger, or explain themselves if they’re familiar. It changes the dynamic. That’s why I always stop when I see a white person getting hassled in public. For any reason. I make sure any white person, in what could become a violent situation, one I may or may not be correctly assessing, feels that they have the opportunity to signal to me if they need assistance. I’m a big brother to a sister so that response is practically instinctual.

But, I don’t limit this to white people. I’ve also done this for two black people who were clearly in a gang's dispute. Whenever you see a situation spiraling out of control, and especially if someone is crying for help or being attacked, you should confront the situation. You don’t need to “break it up.” But engage, get involved, take down pertinent information, alert authorities, call the police. Do something.

2. Black People can correct black people.

If you hear a guy say some jacked-up slurs in front of you and there’s no one from that particular community around to be offended, you can still say something. This is also true when you hear violent language. Speak up. Tell your friend or co-worker that murder jokes are bullshit and you won’t tolerate them.

Trust me you won’t lose your “nigga card.” If you’re older than nineteen and you’re still worried about your nigga card, you don’t understand what respectable blackness is about, anyway. It’s not about cultish approval from others — it’s about being “your own nigga” and doing the right thing. You might be surprised by how many other black people will respect you for doing what they wanted to but didn’t. I’ve heard it plenty. I’m not some social justice cop, but I have and will argue with whole roomfuls of black people. Later on, some homies will approach me and say how much they respected what I did. I always tell them it gets easier to speak up every time you do it. I promise you that’s true.

No one is suggesting you go around policing everybody. I don’t make it my business to make sure everyone lives by my yardstick. No one needs you telling them what you think about every little thing they say and whether it meets your criteria for social awareness. But when some nigga says some foul shit, and you know it — we all hear those jokes — you can let the nigga know his murder joke or his “they’re a cracker" analogy didn’t play.

Continued in Part 3.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Apples wrote:In the last few days alone Southern I believe offered "the copypasta mummy" and Dworkins burst forth with "the grey sunken cunt." It doesn't get any better than that.

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/4150930176/h0C53F7D9/
I do love Southern. Copypasta mummy!! :lol:

James Caruthers

3. Black People can make other black people STFU.

Let’s say, you’re in a group of black people, and one of your friends starts hollering at a white person — tell them to knock it the fuck off. You won’t be a punk for speaking up for the white person. As long as you don’t try to score points with them for “defending them,” you won’t be Uncle Tom'ing it either. You’re just doing the right thing. No one needs some racist clown hollering at them because the dude popped a mental cap in his ass. Hollering is one of the worst advertisements for black violence there is. Those assholes make us all look like complete tools. You get that, right? We need to cut that shit out.

Working construction is when I learned to speak up to a group of black people. You have to do it. Mostly, you do it because you want to respect yourself. Otherwise, you’re another pathetic black person that allows a nigga to mistreat a white person in your presence. When a nigga hollers at a white person and you don’t say something, they just treated them like a cheaply degraded shooting target for his satisfaction and they turned you into the punk-ass that’s willing to allow them to mistreat a white person in your presence … while you say nothing.

What would your grandfather think if they saw you in that moment? Would they be proud of you? Are you proud of yourself? Black pride is good for something — use it to be your better self. Don’t be that silent punk that goes along with the crowd to get along with the crowd. Speak up when someone hollers at a white person in front of you. Tell them to shut the fuck up. As a black person, you have power. Use it. Black people respect conviction.

4. It’s our job to have standards for ourselves, and thus, for all black people.

You may think, “Zaron, my nigga, lighten up, brother. Hollering is not that big a deal. Aren’t we making a mountain out of a molehill? Some white people like it.” You may be right. Maybe some white people do like it. That doesn’t matter. I like to speed. My cousin likes to smoke pot in public. Neither of us gets to do what we like. That’s just how it goes sometimes when you’re a member of a society. If you find that white person who likes to be hollered at, go for it, just do it behind closed doors. When you’re in public, respect the physical and mental space of others.

Don’t limit yourself to being a black person. Be a mensch. Be a human being.

When something like #YesAllWhites occurs in our cultural conversation and white people the world over are out there sharing their experiences, their trauma, their stories and their personal views, as black people, we don’t need to enter that conversation. In that moment, all we need to do is listen, and reflect, and let their words change our perspective. Our job is to ask ourselves how we can do better.
It's fucking brilliant.

Once again, this is the source it's playing off of.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Dick Strawkins wrote:http://i.imgur.com/G2dWSKH.jpg

Wasn't it shown that she was the one using "Oafy"? I think a few people began to use it, but it dropped out of circulation pretty fast. I do use Ophie (and related spellings) because she operates at the level of a five or six year old, and deserves the appropriate level of respect (and honestly, it's easier and faster to spell that than her full name). I guess she found her butthurt-of-the-week, so we can expect an appropriate level of harassment, I mean storifying, from related parties. If Mayhew joins in, we know Svan will have enough blog material to keep her happy for a while.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Mr Radio wrote:
Brigitte K McKenna ‏@ThatBitchFromNJ 20m
.@mdedora Agree, @SecularCouncil owes @OpheliaBenson an apology and should replace the person doing their tweeting with a professional.
Does this stupid girl even know how much professional tweeters cost these days?
I think Melody is available.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Well, if she's not there anymore, she indeed either quit or got fired. I don't see any other option, except death.
She's still at the top of their staff page, as Executive Director:

http://secular.org/staff

But I think the FfTB'ers will be able to figure out from the titles which person likely sent the tweet. He'll need to watch his back.
Certain gender disparity in those photos. Maybe secular activism is more of a girl-thing?

Btw despite quoting me and having ImpJoe request a visit, Benson never released my response from its moderation purgatory. No wonder her "blog" copy-posts rate single digit comment flows.

I'm shattered.

welch

Post by welch »

BillHamp wrote:
welch wrote: What "independent agency"? There's no such thing, it's literally quite impossible to be truly independent. So right there, fail.
My point was that if you can get to agencies/groups/people with conflicting objectives to agree on the stats, then you can be more confident that they are accurate. Of course no agency is "independent" in the sense that it has no bias, but that wasn't what was meant by independent. I simply meant that the two agencies had to be independent in their goals, motives, biases, etc. I didn't not mean nor did I imply that they had to be "indepent" of ANY vested interest.
welch wrote:
BillHamp wrote:At any rate, I wouldn't trust the FBI over local law enforcement (or vice versa). I wouldn't trust state/fed governments over local governments either. All should be treated with suspicion until there is some independent verification that they are telling the truth.
well, you can't actually verify short of reading transcripts for every crime reported, and even then, those are alterable. Even if they weren't, that's effectively impossible, because a) the sheer numbers involved, and b) who's going to do it who isn't ALSO vulnerable to politics?
I agree, you can't actually verify the evidence in this case for the reasons you suggest.
welch wrote: The verification process, were one possible, would be exactly as vulnerable to manipulation as the thing it is verifying. None of this is hard science ala chemistry, physics, etc. You can't treat everything like hard science, because it simply doesn't work that way.
That wasn't my point. My point was that when two groups having conflicing biases, but present similar stats, then you can rely on the stats more than if only one group presents the stats or if two groups with two different motivations present conflicting stats.
welch wrote: You accept that none of this is the absolute unvarnished perfect view of reality, and don't BLINDLY take it as that. But if I'm going to say which am I more comfortable with, the FBI or Podunk, the FBI is going to win that.
You are free to be more comfortable with one over the other, but that isn't what you oringally said or what I was responding to. You said:
welch wrote:The federal or state stats tend to be more reliable, as they're looked at more closely by more people.
There is simply no way to back that claim up and you haven't even tried. You've change your argument from "they tend to be more reliable" to "I am more comfortable with." The first is a claim and the second a statement of opinion. I was only taking issue with the first. You are free to believe whatever you want, regardless of how biased or unprovable those beliefs may be.
I'll say it again then. From what I have seen, based on the reasons i've enumerated, I still think the federal/state stats TEND to be MORE reliable.

Note the bolded words, which I bolded to draw attention to them: "tend" and "more". Both of those remove the absolute aspects you seem to think I'm talking about. Neither federal nor state stats are ALWAYS PERFECTLY reliable compared to local. They TEND to be MORE reliable.

I'm actually specifically allowing for error, whether accidental or someone pissing about to make themselves look good. Really. Right there. "tend". "more".

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Regarding names, I mostly use last name for people I don't like much. First name privilege is for people I respect. So for me, Benson is just, well, Benson.
My use if very different. When writing or talking about someone I don't personally know, I'll generally use last names if they are distinguished or older (people who grew up before the '60s generally find being called by their first name by someone they don't know highly disrespectful). I'll use first names for younger people, people I like that don't necessarily fit in the last name criteria, and people I don't like even if they do fit in the last name criteria. But I don't actively think about it and so I'm sure I'm not consistent.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Sunder wrote:
It's funny. They act like Dawkins hasn't written three other bestselling books since 2006 with a fourth in the pipeline. Not to be morbid but the man will almost certainly drop dead before he stops being relevant.

If you want to talk about irrelevant old white men, how about one in particular whose much-anticipated first and only book sank like a stone to the bottom of the Amazon sales rankings practically the instant it was finally released?

And with regard to Greta, pretty much everything I've gleaned about her new book indicates it's nothing new at all and about as timely as bell bottoms.
If I go to Amazon and run an atheism search filtered under 'New & Popular," The God Delusion second and only Bart Erhman's new book coming up ahead of it. But that's because it's NEW, not because it's out-selling The God Delusion which is STILL the #1 selling athiesm book at Amazon.
The God Delusion

#1 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Atheism
#2 in Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Philosophy
#6 in Books > Science & Math > History & Philosophy
#1,655 in Books (all)

And we also get The Selfish Gene (Dawkins), God is not Great (Hitchens), A Universe From Nothing... (Kraus), and Waking Up... (Harris) in the Top-12. Hell, Carl Sagan has been dead for DECADES and he outsells Myers (thanks, mostly, to the new Cosmos series) and he's ranked #2 right now with The Demon-Haunted World.

Going through the Top-100, we still don't get a single one of those posers until Myers clocks in at 95. Further, I didn't see any of the others through 120 when I gave up.

To put that rank in perspective of his claims of 'the new guard pushing out the old,' I'm pretty sure that every Dawkins book is ahead of him. I think every Harris book is ahead of him. I think every Hitchens book, but one collaboration that was a philosophy-oriented book, is ahead of him. And even tough slogs, like Dennett which has heavy dose of philosophy, are ahead of him.

And to get some idea of just how little they're selling -- The Happy Copy-Pastist is ranked in the 420,000 area. Which means about one or two books per week in sales while Dawkins, just from The God Delusion, is selling about 100 per day.

Truth is, they're just a sad little echo chamber with delusions of grandeur. And nobody in the broader movement actually cares for them, though many do try to placate them since they cause so much trouble.

welch

Post by welch »

Sulman wrote:
zenbabe wrote:All people who sound like 'pitters ipso facto presto columbo ARE 'pitters
Rule number one of Slyme Club is you do not talk about Slyme Club
It was me. I did it. I'm just that clever.

welch

Post by welch »

John D wrote:Haha. Look at the staff at SCofA. Nearly all women. I suspect it is one of these staff members that is writing those tweets. Haha.
http://secular.org/staff
Now I know I will increase my donation to them. The organization is full of "chill girls"! :clap:
Not only almost all women, but take a look at the blurbs on each. There's some serious brain power/degreein' going on there.

James Caruthers

Richard Dworkins wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb ... 35378.html

Every time I check my email, I see a new fake moral outrage article. Am I living in the Victorian era? Is this how the Communism scares in the '50s were?

"redface"

Fucking please.
I see it more like the end of the weimar republic. A huge stock market crash, increased nationalism and a gang of nutty cultists ranting about morality and purity while blaming a specific group for all the worlds sins.
Either the liberals win and we become a thought-controlled SJW Marxist utopia, or the liberals lose and we become a conservative theocracy. :lol:

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

jugheadnaut wrote:(I apologize in advance if this post violates forum policy. If so, mods please remove.)

Greetings, fellow Canadian 'Pitters! This weekend I'm participating in an event called the Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer, a 2 day, 200+ km bike ride from Toronto to Niagara Falls to raise money for the Princess Margaret Foundation, one of the top 5 cancer research foundations in the world. This has become Canada's largest charity bike event, raising $99 million in the six previous years of its existence, and another $20 million raised so far this year. You can find out more about the ride here:

http://to14.conquercancer.ca/site/PageS ... 4_homepage

From my long time lurking, I know cancer has touched the lives of many 'Pitters recently. I myself was motivated to do this ride after my girlfriend was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer last summer. Her treatment is finished now and she's doing great! Many aspects of her treatment weren't available as little as 10 years ago, and made her care both more effective and less oppressive. With continuing research, cancer will eventually become a fully preventable, manageable or curable disease.

If you'd like to contribute, please PM me and I'll send you a link to my page on the Conquer Cancer web site where you can make a tax-deductible online donation. Non-Canadians are of course free to contribute, but it likely won't be tax deductible. Thanks!
Grats to your girlfriend and good luck with the event, Joggersnuts.
Sounds like it'll be a beautiful ride.
Pics or it doesn't happen!

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

My new favorite pair of tweets:

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

zenbabe wrote:
Grats to your girlfriend and good luck with the event, Joggersnuts.
Sounds like it'll be a beautiful ride.
Pics or it doesn't happen!
Thanks! It looks like the weather will cooperate and it should indeed be a beautiful ride. I'll have some nice pics on Monday.

Joggersnuts? I did another charity bike ride last Sunday and had a bad case of bikersnuts :rimshot:. I've worked on adjusting my pedaling technique this week and should do better in that area this weekend.

Sunder

Post by Sunder »

The pushback on that article is inspiring and continues to trickle in.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Er, what?
David Marjanović

5 June 2014 at 10:27 am (UTC -5)
That’s what I really like about the German legal definition: Rape is any form of sexual penetration against the will of the victim regardless of who penetrates whom where and with what.
A definition that requires penetration still isn’t ideal, though.
David...you dumb.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

James Caruthers wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:https://celebrity.yahoo.com/blogs/celeb ... 35378.html

Every time I check my email, I see a new fake moral outrage article. Am I living in the Victorian era? Is this how the Communism scares in the '50s were?

"redface"

Fucking please.
I see it more like the end of the weimar republic. A huge stock market crash, increased nationalism and a gang of nutty cultists ranting about morality and purity while blaming a specific group for all the worlds sins.
Either the liberals win and we become a thought-controlled SJW Marxist utopia, or the liberals lose and we become a conservative theocracy. :lol:
Liberals don't "win", liberals ally themselves with whatever group is in power in order to benefit themselves. Liberals (as opposed to liberalism which is a dying philosophy) are ideological whores. Nowhere is this more evident than in the U.K. where their party went toadying with the Posh Boy cabinet and joined both the left and the right in pissing off their voting base.

Never heard the old Phil Ochs song?

"I cried when they shot Medgar Evers
Tears ran down my spine
I cried when they shot Mr. Kennedy
As though I'd lost a father of mine
But Malcolm X got what was coming
He got what he asked for this time
So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal

I go to civil rights rallies
And I put down the old D.A.R
I love Harry and Sidney and Sammy
I hope every colored boy becomes a star
But don't talk about revolution
That's going a little bit too far

I cheered when Humphrey was chosen
My faith in the system restored
I'm glad the commies were thrown out
Of the A.F.L. C.I.O. board
I love Puerto Ricans and Negros
As long as they don't move next door

The people of old Mississippi
Should all hang their heads in shame
I can't understand how their minds work
What's the matter don't they watch Les Crain?
But if you ask me to bus my children
I hope the cops take down your name

I read New republic and Nation
I've learned to take every view
You know, I've memorized Lerner and Golden
I feel like I'm almost a Jew
But when it comes to times like Korea
There's no one more red, white and blue

I vote for the democratic party
They want the U.N. to be strong
I go to all the Pete Seeger concerts
He sure gets me singing those songs
I'll send all the money you ask for
But don't ask me to come on along

Once I was young and impulsive
I wore every conceivable pin
Even went to the socialist meetings
Learned all the old union hymns
But I've grown older and wiser
And that's why I'm turning you in
So love me, love me, love me, I'm a liberal"

decius

Post by decius »

James Caruthers

And right now, the Social Justice League appears to be winning, so that's the liberal ticket for the next few elections at least. Then we either face a huge shift to conservatism, running on a religious ticket most likely or the electorate goes full SJW and we usher in ze glorious age of SJW Marxist utopia.

I tell ya, if the conservatives ever figure out how to stop being caught doing and saying incredibly, unbelievably stupid shit, and if they ever manage to jettison the theocracy platform (be religious, I don't care, just don't run on MURICA FOR JEBUS anymore,) then they could dominate.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:[youtube]LFJK_qxmVRc[/youtube]
Peezus features the following youtube video - 'The Adventures of Mansplainer' - on his site today.
I watched the whole thing thinking that it just shows some obnoxious idiot who appears to be meant to represent the worst aspects of dudebro culture.
The worst thing about it is that despite the fact that it's clearly meant to be a funny video, it is entirely devoid of even an atom of wit.
I looked at the whole thing, thinking how on earth did they manage 4 and a half minutes of this without managing to get even one funny section, even by accident.
And then I saw the end credits...

...and all was (man?)explained.

http://i.imgur.com/8P6WUVA.jpg
What do Nazis, Stalinists and SJWs have in common? A complete lack of a sense of humour.

Well, they have a lot more in common, but this is one of the most conspicuous shared characteristics.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Wasn't I the first person to call Ophelia, Ophie, a couple years ago? I think I was. But, of course, I might be wrongwrongwrong.

Don't say I never did nuffin' for yas.

Richard Dworkins

@ Jan Steen.

That is because they are all authoritarians. They mistake their subjective political utopianism for an objective goal all should share, even if everyone else has to be "re-educated" or "evacuated"

Richard Dworkins

James Caruthers wrote:And right now, the Social Justice League appears to be winning, so that's the liberal ticket for the next few elections at least. Then we either face a huge shift to conservatism, running on a religious ticket most likely or the electorate goes full SJW and we usher in ze glorious age of SJW Marxist utopia.

I tell ya, if the conservatives ever figure out how to stop being caught doing and saying incredibly, unbelievably stupid shit, and if they ever manage to jettison the theocracy platform (be religious, I don't care, just don't run on MURICA FOR JEBUS anymore,) then they could dominate.
In the U.S. I think it makes little difference. The Plutocrats win. They had a look at the damage ideological politics did in Europe in the last century and thought, nice spectacle for the serfs but otherwise it interferes with profit. It's always a choice between Capitalist A and Capitalist B. Much like the Soviet Union where you could vote for Communist A or Communist B.

Democracy in action.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Pagancat wrote:
Absolute genuine LOL. One of those where you make a sound like a woman getting her ass pinched, coz it's so surprising and hiarious (the joke, not the ass pinching).

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Blah Blah ... UK liberals blow with the wind ... liberals should do what I tell them ... etc
(actually paraphrase I admit)

For all the familiarity of these sort of word salads I still don't understand the logic behind them. If you're a supporter of one of the authoritarian parties, Richard, and against liberalism, then that's OK and nice for you, but we're your political opponents so you can't really expect us to do other than work against the sort of society you want. A party which is set up for the express purpose of opposing you is hardly going to listen to your advice.

If you actually do want a liberal society but are frustrated at the level of success of the party at bringing it about, then that's OK too, but you'll be aware that even if your most wishful moments then at the moment the strength of the party is only what it is, and, yes it's frustrating but there it goes. Your anger is misdirected if it is aimed at those who are attempting to change the situation.

By the way, the Lib Dems haven't alienated 'their' voters. They've alienated the anti-politics idiots who thought the party was the vehicle for their non opinions. It isn't. These people are useless and UKIP are welcome to them. Don't want them back.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

James Caruthers wrote:
3. Black People can make other black people STFU.
<chop chop>
better.
It's fucking brilliant.

Once again, this is the source it's playing off of.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Badger3k wrote:
Mr Radio wrote:
Brigitte K McKenna ‏@ThatBitchFromNJ 20m
.@mdedora Agree, @SecularCouncil owes @OpheliaBenson an apology and should replace the person doing their tweeting with a professional.
Does this stupid girl even know how much professional tweeters cost these days?
I think Melody is available.

She's probably cheap, but you're company insurance premiums will go out the roof with all the therapy she need from her Twitter PTSD... Plus you'll be lucky to get two days a week out of her.

Apples

Post by Apples »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Absolute genuine LOL. One of those where you make a sound like a woman getting her ass pinched, coz it's so surprising and hiarious (the joke, not the ass pinching).
:mrgreen:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

James Caruthers wrote:
Tribble wrote:
The ironic thing is that it's the same kind of lying garbage that racists in America have done to marginalize Blacks, Irish, Italians, Jews, Indians, Japanese, Chinese and many others over the past 200+ years.

If these kinds of made-up stats were used against blacks, or any other ethnic minority today, you could be sure the majority of the bigots who perpetrate this against men would immediately attack the people making those slurs. You'd see the ACLU (correctly) decry it. You'd see the Southern Poverty Law Center (correctly) decry it. You'd see all of the 'liberal' politicians (correctly) making hay over it. It'd be (correctly) on the front page of The Daily Kos, the Huffington Post, etc. for months, if not years.

But bigotry toward men as a group, and especially white men as a sub-group... Cricket's chirping.
There was recently a feminist article written by a male feminist called "A Gentleman's Guide to Rape Culture."

Well, 6oodfella posted a video about this, but one of the comments was even funnier. Someone took the entire article and changed a few words, creating "A Nigga's Guide to Murder Culture."

If you are a black person, you are part of murder culture. I know … that sounds rough. You’re not a murderer, necessarily. But you do perpetuate the attitudes and behaviors commonly referred to as murder culture.
<choppity chop>

Continued in Part 2
BTW ... links to the video & rewrite?

James Caruthers

AndrewV69 wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
Tribble wrote:

<choppity chop>

Continued in Part 2
BTW ... links to the video & rewrite?

It's in the comments somewhere. Someone should really copypasta it to a wordpress and then credit the author (also notify him.) It's too good to be lost in YouTube.

Apples

Post by Apples »

didymos wrote:Er, what?
David Marjanović

5 June 2014 at 10:27 am (UTC -5)
That’s what I really like about the German legal definition: Rape is any form of sexual penetration against the will of the victim regardless of who penetrates whom where and with what.
A definition that requires penetration still isn’t ideal, though.
David...you dumb.
:D

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Richard Dworkins wrote:@ Jan Steen.

That is because they are all authoritarians. They mistake their subjective political utopianism for an objective goal all should share, even if everyone else has to be "re-educated" or "evacuated"
It's basically because humour and dogma don't go together. Humour can easily become subversive. That's why the stuff that passes for humour in SJW circles (Jamie Kilstein, Bjarte Fosshaug) is actually just propaganda posing as humour. It's never funny, except when it is taken out of context and framed as the awful, talentless shit it is.

James Caruthers

If you're not willing to laugh at your own group while mocking the opposition, you'll never be funny. Feminists who posted cat jokes on #YesAllCats get it. Feminists who complained about how #YesAllCats was a misogynist cyberattack against them don't get it.

This is the same reason I find Louis CK tiresome and unfunny nowadays. He is slowly sinking into the pit of SJWism and starting to believe that certain ideas, people, groups, etc cannot be joked about.

Jim Jeffries is like Louis CK was in the pre-SJW era.