Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
real horrorshow

Re: Y'all come back now, y'hear?

Post by real horrorshow »

SoylentAtheist wrote:The burden of proof should be on the prosecutor.
It is, and the fact that Ms Lawyer-To-Be doesn't grasp such a basic principle is fucking scary.

Cunt of Personality

Post by Cunt of Personality »

real horrorshow wrote:
SoylentAtheist wrote:The burden of proof should be on the prosecutor.
It is, and the fact that Ms Lawyer-To-Be doesn't grasp such a basic principle is fucking scary.
u

What's really scary is that Ms Lawyer-To-Be will have no qualms about crossing her fingers behind her back when swearing the various oaths because she's intending to act on behalf of a greater good/noble cause.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

just thought I would have another look at the block bot again. I'm still sitting pretty at level 2 No 801. I worked it out they have blocked 1420 on level 3, 1366 on level 2 and 864 on level 1 giving a grand total of 3650 people blocked so far. Now under normal circumstances I would ask, "Why the fuck hasn't the message sunk in yet?" But it is the SJW block bot and the whole world is out to get them after all.

Ahhhh......SJWs solving all the worlds problems 1 blocked tweeter at a time.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

real horrorshow wrote:
welch wrote:No, it's not some stupid plan that ends in !trolling. It's just clear you have no interest in any viewpoint other than your own.
Ooh, irony overload.
So I'm not going to even attempt to discuss it, because there cannot be a discussion in that situation.
So, it's not because of the gaping hole in your argument?
It's pointless, and ultimately a waste of our time. Whatever you wish to think that makes you right, and gives you the victory, it's yours with two bags full.
And in return I award you the title of 'Patronising Cunt' and wish you a hearty Fuck Off. (And if you're quoting Baa Baa Black Sheep, it's three bags full.)

Sir, surely raising attention to the fact that the sheep is black when there was absolutely no cause to do so is racist. I demand you apologise

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

What leaves me literally shaking with rage is that no video games deal with the issue of FGM!
"shakes"
*rages*
*literally*

Cunt of Personality

Konrad_Cruze wrote:just thought I would have another look at the block bot again. I'm still sitting pretty at level 2 No 801. I worked it out they have blocked 1420 on level 3, 1366 on level 2 and 864 on level 1 giving a grand total of 3650 people blocked so far. Now under normal circumstances I would ask, "Why the fuck hasn't the message sunk in yet?" But it is the SJW block bot and the whole world is out to get them after all.

Really? A dozen or so butthurt gimps have blocked 3650 people and they still haven't considered the possibility that they're butthurt gimps. Amazing.

In other news; I'm not on the list despite being a racist 4Chan sockpuppet troll for following Andrea Dworcat.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Cunt of Personality wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:just thought I would have another look at the block bot again. I'm still sitting pretty at level 2 No 801. I worked it out they have blocked 1420 on level 3, 1366 on level 2 and 864 on level 1 giving a grand total of 3650 people blocked so far. Now under normal circumstances I would ask, "Why the fuck hasn't the message sunk in yet?" But it is the SJW block bot and the whole world is out to get them after all.

Really? A dozen or so butthurt gimps have blocked 3650 people and they still haven't considered the possibility that they're butthurt gimps. Amazing.

In other news; I'm not on the list despite being a racist 4Chan sockpuppet troll for following Andrea Dworcat.
Do you work for the CIA of FBI?

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

College students are used to taking quizzes, so this should be pretty easy for them to adopt. The challenge comes in predicting ahead of time exactly what said sexual situation will entail.
"Welcome to the Consent Quiz. State your name and date of birth"

"Spell the following words out loud: kalamazoo, lollapalooza, shibboleth"

"Please recite the alphabet backwards"

"If you're reached this phase, you've been deemed sober enough to give consent to a sexual activity. Please state the name and the date of birth of the Sex Initiator who wishes to perform a sexual activity with you"

"Here's a list of sexual activities. If you consent to perform them, say yes. Otherwise, say no"

"Lip contact"

"Mutual tongue stimulation"

"Foreplay, without the removal articles of clothing"

"Foreplay, including the removal of articles of clothing"

"Manual penile stimulation"

"Oral vaginal stimulation"

"Other kinds of penile stimulation"

"Other kinds of vaginal stimulation"

"Oral penile stimulation"

"Vaginal penetration"

"Anal penetration"

"Other sexual activities (please specify"

"Thank you for completing the Consent Quiz. We wish you a pleasurable sexual experience. "

Cunt of Personality

Ericb wrote:
Cunt of Personality wrote:

Do you work for the CIA of FBI?
No, but much of my best work has been philosopically dislexically aligned. For example: the war against dregs, the toppling of Latin American dictaphones.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:What leaves me literally shaking with rage is that no video games deal with the issue of FGM!
"shakes"
*rages*
*literally*
Perhaps when I get a bit better at programming, I could make one.
I'll try to make it GOOD.
You might have heard of some weak shit like "Concentration Camp Guard" or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas that was considered 'controversial' and crap.
Bah.
Anyway, in the game you will have to play four different female characters and circumcise your female daughters/nieces.
I want this to be exciting and educational, so you will learn about FGM 1 through 4 by actually performing them in-game. Points are deducted if she's left permanently infertile. And also if she doesn't scream enough, because you know, women shouldn't enjoy that sexual stuff.

And just because I'm trying to be edgy I think I'll throw in a spanking or two. I'm sorry if this disturbs everyone here, but I'll never be able to sell this to the 'spergs unless there is something that makes playing this game a real disturbing experience. Commercial viability, you know?

real horrorshow

Aneris wrote:Gaslighting = a term introduced to a general audience by social justice warriors. Originally refers to deliberately tricking someones senses to make them think they are crazy. If you know Pharyngula, you know why the term came up a few times: they used it to either point out someone was denying their “lived experience” or they claimed their target was gaslighting them by denying the accusations cooked up by the dog-piling horde.

Lampshading = even though both have to do with lamps and lights, they have little in common. That's a term I borrowed from the storywriter's toolkit where the writer, through a character, acknowledges a plot hole or obvious flaw, but then does little to fill it. Tropers call this technique lampshade hanging. The purpose is to align the audience's suspension of disbelief again with the goal of the writer to provide an entertaining story. In that sense, it actually doesn't translate well into the realm of debate, where different sides of an argument do not share the same goals (perhaps only share a “meta goal” of sussing out a truth). However, I use it to point out that someone can at least “tip-hat” that some counter argument exists, even if they are unwilling to take it seriously.
I know all that. My point, was that welch was both using a fallacious argument and pretending that Mr Radio was using that argument. That is, he was lampshading by pointing out the flaw and gaslighting by pretending it was in Mr Radio's argument rather than his own.

real horrorshow

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
real horrorshow wrote:
welch wrote:No, it's not some stupid plan that ends in !trolling. It's just clear you have no interest in any viewpoint other than your own.
Ooh, irony overload.
So I'm not going to even attempt to discuss it, because there cannot be a discussion in that situation.
It's pointless, and ultimately a waste of our time. Whatever you wish to think that makes you right, and gives you the victory, it's yours with two bags full.
And in return I award you the title of 'Patronising Cunt' and wish you a hearty Fuck Off. (And if you're quoting Baa Baa Black Sheep, it's three bags full.)

Sir, surely raising attention to the fact that the sheep is black when there was absolutely no cause to do so is racist. I demand you apologise
I offer my apologies to all Sheep of Color with all the sincerity of which I am capable. And we all know how much that is, don't we?

welch

Post by welch »

real horrorshow wrote:
Ooh, irony overload.
Yes dear, whatever you say.

welch

Post by welch »

real horrorshow wrote:
Aneris wrote:Gaslighting = a term introduced to a general audience by social justice warriors. Originally refers to deliberately tricking someones senses to make them think they are crazy. If you know Pharyngula, you know why the term came up a few times: they used it to either point out someone was denying their “lived experience” or they claimed their target was gaslighting them by denying the accusations cooked up by the dog-piling horde.

Lampshading = even though both have to do with lamps and lights, they have little in common. That's a term I borrowed from the storywriter's toolkit where the writer, through a character, acknowledges a plot hole or obvious flaw, but then does little to fill it. Tropers call this technique lampshade hanging. The purpose is to align the audience's suspension of disbelief again with the goal of the writer to provide an entertaining story. In that sense, it actually doesn't translate well into the realm of debate, where different sides of an argument do not share the same goals (perhaps only share a “meta goal” of sussing out a truth). However, I use it to point out that someone can at least “tip-hat” that some counter argument exists, even if they are unwilling to take it seriously.
I know all that. My point, was that welch was both using a fallacious argument and pretending that Mr Radio was using that argument. That is, he was lampshading by pointing out the flaw and gaslighting by pretending it was in Mr Radio's argument rather than his own.
You're absolutely correct.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

jugheadnaut wrote:Could the attitude behind this sentiment help explain why feminists who consider themselves to be serious atheists and skeptics tend to discount ritual circumcision as an issue?
Most certainly. It's a safe way to exercise their hidden desire to damage and injure males.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

welch wrote:Yes dear, whatever you say.
It's one thing that you're completely fed up with argueing certain issues, and therefor react in a dismissive manner, but it looks like that condition has meddled with your ability to comprehend things you just read. :geek:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

BarnOwl wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
How can you prove consent?

The same way you do so with any other legal contract - have the agreement signed and notarized.
That sounds like a joke but it's the logical conclusion of making 'affirmative consent' a legal requirement. ....
I'm sure some sort of smartphone app can be designed for legally documenting affirmative/enthusiastic consent - in addition to the obvious video capabilities. Maybe a selfie in bed with an overlay of signatures and fingerprints. Most people I know can't let go of their smartphones for more than about 30 seconds, so the app should always be available when "the time is right."
Funny that you should mention that; couldn’t have said it better myself. ;-) But more specifically, what I have said – as Skep tickle has recently and kindly noted - over on AtheismPlus:
Steersman wrote:Considering that, according to Wikipedia (1), the incidence of reported rape and sexual assault (in the US) is something like 200,000 cases per year, and the rather fractious and acrimonious debates in the last while on the topic, I was wondering whether there might be a technological solution or method that might at least reduce that number. While it is somewhat moot whether there is a market and use for such a product, it seems to me – particularly given the apparently large amounts of fear if not paranoia about rape and false accusations thereof, and the somewhat questionable prevalence of “hook-up culture” (2) – that there might well be such a market. Which is entirely dependent, of course, on whether such a product is technically feasible.

And, more specifically, that product is conjectured to be some sort of iPhone App that would record intimate encounters, encrypt them, and then upload them to a secure server. Which could then be decrypted as evidence should there be any accusations of rape or even false ones thereof. Now obviously most people aren’t going to be particularly keen about recording their sexual activities if there’s any possibility that they could be made available for general viewing. But that seems easily dealt with simply by encrypting them such that it takes two of three subkeys to unlock them – 2 held by the participants, a unique one per individual encounter held by the justice system that could be released only on court order.

Which then raises several technical questions, one of which is, as Jason Thibeault put it (3), “I can't think of any good schema by which two of three keys could be used to unlock an encrypted file.” However, Wikipedia describes just such a schema here (4) in the article “Secret sharing”. Another technical problem discussed was the amount of storage space required to record both audio and video, as well as where it would reside. While, as he pointed out “recording an hour of audio at 8khz mono bitrate … still took ~100 megs”, a number of compression schemes could reduce that to one quarter or one tenth. In addition, while most cameras apparently capture at 30 frames a second, one would think that 5 frames a second would be more than sufficient to qualify as evidence of most crimes. As for storage, the iPhone at least has the iCloud feature (5) whereby data can apparently be stored “on-the-fly” externally where it wouldn’t be subject to destruction by any criminal.

And, finally, it appears others have conceived of or implemented similar technological solutions, such as this (6) “Me Against Rape” Android App for example, although it suffers from some notable limitations, or these (7) surveillance Apps similar to “Nanny-Cams”, although they may use separate cameras.

So, given that it appears that such a product is technically feasible, and well within the budget of many – although that depends somewhat on the availability, cost, and technical capabilities of either iPhones or their clones – do you think that there is a market for such a product, that many people would use it?

-----
1) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#United_States”;
2) “_http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithonthecouch/2 ... -shows/”;
3) Personal communication, Jason Thibeault
4) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_sharing”;
5) “_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICloud”;
6) “_http://says.com/in/tech/3-youths-develop-me-against-rape-android-app-for-womens-safety”;
7) “_http://iphoneapplicationlist.com/apps/”;
I have run this idea past several people, including several prostitutes and others in the business, who thought it had some merit. Although one of them, “Maggie McNeil” (The Honest Courtesan), didn’t think much of the idea of the Justice Department being involved – a position apparently shared by Welch – so the most workable alternative seems to be to create a separate company that would retain the data and would possess one of the keys. The consequence of which would be that while they had the data they couldn’t access it unless one of the other parties requested its release, presumably to various authorities, on accusations of rape or false accusations thereof.

But while the App might have its greatest use where “contractual obligations” are more explicit, if not more sensible, the proposed law in California certainly seems to suggest a wider scope of opportunity and application.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

'One for the master, none for the dame and one for the little boy who lives down the lane.'
Yup that'll be 3.
Welch is wrong....now do I win something besides his opprobrium?

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

one for the dame.
MY KINGDOM FOR AN EDIT BUTTON!

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Sexist.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

what's wrong with being sexy?

Garlic

Post by Garlic »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Guestus Aurelius wrote:Is Monsanto's reputation as a particularly evil corporation earned? I know there's some fucked up history there (Agent Orange), but are they in fact any more nefarious than most big companies today?
Yes: Roundup.

http://web.mit.edu/demoscience/Monsanto/about.html

The authors of this page are hopelessly confused. No "terminator" seeds have ever been sold by Monsanto or anyone else, ever.

(Personal opinion: this is actually a problem. GURT should be *mandated* in all GMO seeds, as an additional barrier to the dispersal of genetic material. It's not failsafe, but "every little helps".)

Really?

Post by Really? »

Ha. There's another silly hashtag. That Nay Nay is on it.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/WhiteFemini ... e?src=hash

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jimthepleb wrote:'One for the master, none for the dame and one for the little boy who lives down the lane.'
Yup that'll be 3.
Is that in response to my comment about the iPhone App and its three keys? Though in passing the system works also if more than three people want to make a party of it – as the Wikipedia article notes, there are a number of online applications that demonstrate the process and capabilities in some detail. And I’ve developed a Mathematica demonstration of it as well that I’ll provide if any are particularly interested.

But while Welch periodically overreacts, in this case I think he had some valid points, particularly in the US where society and the legal system in particular has some rather twisted, being charitable, attitudes on prostitution – and on sex for that matter.

In any case and somewhat apropos, I’ve added a comment along those lines on the YouTube video on the topic that Andrew posted recently.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Steersman wrote: Funny that you should mention that; couldn’t have said it better myself. ;-) But more specifically, what I have said [...] over on AtheismPlus:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-22-qyeF9hQc/T ... ina%2Bshop

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Tigzy wrote:
Steersman wrote: Funny that you should mention that; couldn’t have said it better myself. ;-) But more specifically, what I have said [...] over on AtheismPlus:
:lol:
“Times a wastin’, hand me a grenade!”
HerbieGrenade_1A.JPG
(25.97 KiB) Downloaded 183 times

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tigzy wrote:
I dunno...Steersman makes a lot of sense. If every sexual encounter is immortalized and archived on video, we can protect ourselves from false accusations and ensure our partner has consented.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Really? wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
I dunno...Steersman makes a lot of sense. If every sexual encounter is immortalized and archived on video, we can protect ourselves from false accusations and ensure our partner has consented.
And judges, persecutors and lawyers will get paid to basically watch amateur porn all day. Damn, why didn't I go to law school?

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

20 years ago, had I had a son, I probably would have been ok with a circumcision. But today, since I know better, I'd be against it. So, in that sense I can certainly see how someone with deep regrets on making a bad decision would hide behind douchery and accusations of emotionalism when the issue is brought up. Rationalizing a bad decision brings out the ugly and moron in people. And it's been full on fucking display here over the past few days.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oh Jesus fucking Christ, "persecutors". Now I know why I didn't go to law school. Nevermind.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Southern wrote:
Really? wrote:
Tigzy wrote:[.quote="Steersman"]
Funny that you should mention that; couldn’t have said it better myself. ;-) But more specifically, what I have said [...] over on AtheismPlus:
[/.quote]
And judges, persecutors and lawyers will get paid to basically watch amateur porn all day. Damn, why didn't I go to law school?
No, that’s not the way it’s designed to work. The files wouldn't be released until there was a criminal accusation on the table – until then they’re totally encrypted; nobody gets to see them. Although the active parties themselves could do so if they, for example, wanted to improve their performances.

And, in passing, the system could be designed so that the files are deleted if both of the active parties agree after the fact to do so.

Really?

Post by Really? »

debaser71 wrote:20 years ago, had I had a son, I probably would have been ok with a circumcision. But today, since I know better, I'd be against it. So, in that sense I can certainly see how someone with deep regrets on making a bad decision would hide behind douchery and accusations of emotionalism when the issue is brought up. Rationalizing a bad decision brings out the ugly and moron in people. And it's been full on fucking display here over the past few days.
Yeah, I believe I tried to make that point. The main thing now is to break through, as you so beautifully put it, the douchery and accusations of emotionalism.

We shouldn't cry over spilled foreskins; let's just try and prevent spilled foreskins in the future.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Really? wrote:
Tigzy wrote:
Bah! Keep your proofs and evidences! All tools of the hyper-skeptical and weapons of the Patriarchy!

The victims lived experience is all we really need for true justice!

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Southern wrote: And judges, persecutors and lawyers will get paid to basically watch amateur porn all day. Damn, why didn't I go to law school?
Any local 'sex crimes' unit basically already does that. How do you think the undercover cops set up their stings?
And even though 'kiddy porn' (to include old, formerly legal porn, 16 and 17 year old boob shots and freaking anime drawings all of which I think are ridiculous) is such a bad thing that you can be prosecuted for merely stumbling across it or having a malicious app download it on your computer, we can surely trust our "Guardians of the Net" to watch anything that might help them in their righteous cause with not a HINT of prurient interest at all.

I'm surprised you didn't know this. Yes, we pay people good money to spend most of their days watching porn and pretending to be teenage and pre-teen girl and boy children. The amount of actual predators they catch is pretty miniscule, though. Mind you, by 'we' I'm talking of the US and sometimes Britain. Other places, your mileage might vary.

John D

Post by John D »

Sikivu does it again.... but this time she tells her story uptown, at the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery ... -atheists/
Atheism has a big race problem that no one’s talking about

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

John D wrote:Sikivu does it again.... but this time she tells her story uptown, at the Washington Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/postevery ... -atheists/
Atheism has a big race problem that no one’s talking about
When all one has is a hammer, everything becomes a nail...

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Clarence wrote:
Southern wrote: And judges, persecutors and lawyers will get paid to basically watch amateur porn all day. Damn, why didn't I go to law school?

I'm surprised you didn't know this. Yes, we pay people good money to spend most of their days watching porn and pretending to be teenage and pre-teen girl and boy children. The amount of actual predators they catch is pretty miniscule, though. Mind you, by 'we' I'm talking of the US and sometimes Britain. Other places, your mileage might vary.
Minuscule? Chris Handsome catches them all the time!

[youtube]E0Ssvfa7P2E[/youtube]

Some Lurker

Post by Some Lurker »

Holy Shit! I just finished watching the new Sarkeesian video. It was her most ridiculous video yet. It is so full of shit that I don't honestly see how anyone who has played any of the Open World games she referenced could possibly even begin to think her argument is even remotely reasonable. I am not exaggerating. It starts bad and just keeps getting worse and worse until she becomes Jack Thompson, Gail Dines and Andrea Dworkin all rolled into one.
REALLY!!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Steersman wrote:
Southern wrote:
Really? wrote: I dunno...Steersman makes a lot of sense. If every sexual encounter is immortalized and archived on video, we can protect ourselves from false accusations and ensure our partner has consented.
No, that’s not the way it’s designed to work. The files wouldn't be released until there was a criminal accusation on the table – until then they’re totally encrypted; nobody gets to see them. Although the active parties themselves could do so if they, for example, wanted to improve their performances.

And, in passing, the system could be designed so that the files are deleted if both of the active parties agree after the fact to do so.
Aside from this being a really fucking dumb, overly complicated solution to a problem that does not really exist, who ya gonna trust with your sex videos?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Ahahahahaha, what the fuck is up my body?

When I had a so-called "pigtail" catheter in the wake of my kidney stone operation, I almost constantly felt like peeing, almost constantly in pain, and was almost never tired. At least, I did not feel tired enough to sleep. Now, a month later, when I've had the catheter removed, I don't always feel like peeing, I'm not constantly in pain, but now I feel more tired than ever before. And not only do I feel tired, but dizzy as well. Like I can hardly walk a meter before stumbling like a drunk.

It COULD be due to the drugs I had administered yesterday evening at the ER, when I felt some pain similar to kidney stone, where I got a shot of diclofenac intramuscular for the pain, a pill of oxazepam (oxascand in Swedish) to calm my nerves, and a dose of ketobemidone (ketogan in Swedish) intravenously to further reduce the pain which made me really, really, REALLY drowzy and nauseous, and I had to lie down on a bunk or I'd puke. When I said I was pain-free, they gave me some metoclopramide (primperan in Swedish) intravenously for the nausea, removed the needle, gave me some oxynorm (or oxycodone), metoclopramide in pill form and oxazepam and sent me on my way.

But it's been HOURS since then. I was there 'til 2 AM last night and now it's 9 PM. Surely it can't be in my system for that long? I just don't know what's happening right now. I feel EXHAUSTED. Is this really normal? Bloody hell. I hope it passes by tomorrow. (Oh yeah, sorry for using this as a blog, etc etc)

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

katamari Damassi wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
He has a covert message in his greatest hit to his agents out in the field. The message is subtle but run's along the lines of: 'Your secrets are safe with me and I shall never betray you.' Hiding in plain sight, so clever.
I kind of feel bad for this anonymous chick who's become an anti-SJW meme. I don't know. Maybe she's an obnoxious SJW, but to me she just looks like someone who knows where to get good weed.
I had posted a meme pic of her on my Facebook a week or so ago and a friend recognized her from school. Turns out she went to my alma mater (UVM) and was there around 2001-2003.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: No, that’s not the way it’s designed to work. The files wouldn't be released until there was a criminal accusation on the table – until then they’re totally encrypted; nobody gets to see them. Although the active parties themselves could do so if they, for example, wanted to improve their performances.

Aside from this being a really fucking dumb, overly complicated solution to a problem that does not really exist, who ya gonna trust with your sex videos?
And LOL at "totally encrypted"; that works so well in the age of NSA spying everybody, can you imagine a politician or other figure in a position of power recording, let's say, a BDSM session and "encrypting" it as per SteersKey so nobody sees it? Nobody will peruse it for political gain, I'm sure.

Besides, still, when conflict arise and you have to come fort and show you amateur porn video proving that you have enthusiastic consent, a third party, probably a judge, will have to take a look at it. And if the judge can see it, so the prosecutor and the defendant's lawyer. And probably somebody else setting the amateur porn session on for those guys to look at it. And there you go: at least 4 people now have access to your amateur porn "proof of consent" video. Now privacy is really dead and buried, congratulations.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Southern wrote:[.quote="Really?"]
I dunno...Steersman makes a lot of sense. ....[/.quote]

I’ll concede that it is moot question about the extent of the problem, but I would say the efforts in California suggest that it is anything but a minor or trivial one. And for instance, you may recollect reading Ben Radford’s The Anatomy of False Accusations: A Skeptical Case Study:
Radford wrote: It was a he-said / she-said story-except that the accused man had photographs of their encounter, taken during what Levitski described as a sexual assault. The photos provided independent documentary evidence of what happened between the two of them behind closed doors.
Police "then presented Levitski with the evidence that they had uncovered which was contrary to her statements. After maintaining that she was telling the truth for approximately thirty minutes Levitski finally admitted that the entire story was fabricated to act as some sort of cover for the images that her grandmother had located on her cell phone. These images being of her and John engaged in sex acts. Levitski admitted that these photos were taken during a consensual sexual encounter between her and John on a date later than October 23, contrary to what she had reported."
Seems that happens rather too frequently. And of course there is, arguably, an even higher incidence of actual rape where the victim is more or less up the creek.

As for trusting anyone with holding onto the videos, while the process is a little obscure and convoluted – devil in the details and all that, I did make some effort to show that the people storing them only have one of the two keys required to unlock the files for viewing or distribution: they simply can not view them without the consent of either of the other parties.

But in passing, it seems to me that if the active parties know that records of consent and the activities exist then they might be a little less likely to make bogus accusations or to cross the line. Win-win all around, I think.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Steersman wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:'One for the master, none for the dame and one for the little boy who lives down the lane.'
Yup that'll be 3.
Is that in response to my comment about the iPhone App and its three keys? Though in passing the system works also if more than three people want to make a party of it – as the Wikipedia article notes, there are a number of online applications that demonstrate the process and capabilities in some detail. And I’ve developed a Mathematica demonstration of it as well that I’ll provide if any are particularly interested.

But while Welch periodically overreacts, in this case I think he had some valid points, particularly in the US where society and the legal system in particular has some rather twisted, being charitable, attitudes on prostitution – and on sex for that matter.

In any case and somewhat apropos, I’ve added a comment along those lines on the YouTube video on the topic that Andrew posted recently.
No steerzi-babes I learnt long ago not to enact the labour of engaging you directly. Although I enjoy your input generally. However I believe you might actually be onto something with your app. Despite the fact that I had originally assumed it was satire and that it was one of the most hyperbolic examples of idiocy I had heard in a long time. Scary ole world.
*doffs cap*

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Southern wrote:

I send all my sex tapes to my mom...don't we all do that?

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

jimthepleb wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Aside from this being a really fucking dumb, overly complicated solution to a problem that does not really exist, who ya gonna trust with your sex videos?
I hear she stars in most of them.

:rimshot:

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Southern wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Steersman wrote: No, that’s not the way it’s designed to work. The files wouldn't be released until there was a criminal accusation on the table – until then they’re totally encrypted; nobody gets to see them. Although the active parties themselves could do so if they, for example, wanted to improve their performances.

And LOL at "totally encrypted"; that works so well in the age of NSA spying everybody, can you imagine a politician or other figure in a position of power recording, let's say, a BDSM session and "encrypting" it as per SteersKey so nobody sees it? Nobody will peruse it for political gain, I'm sure.
You really should take a look at the details of that encryption process envisioned (256 bit keys at a minimum which is still more than what even NSA can crack), and the way that “secret-sharing” works.
Southern wrote:Besides, still, when conflict arise and you have to come [to court] and show your amateur porn video proving that you have enthusiastic consent, a third party, probably a judge, will have to take a look at it. ....
Which would you think is worse? Having someone see you in the act? Or going to the slammer for ten-to-twenty for a crime you didn’t commit? Or knowing that someone else was walking away after committing an egregious crime? Personally, I’d go with the alternative behind door one.

And something which judges do all the time. And they frequently view such things behind closed doors so the general public isn’t privy to those details.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Really? wrote:
debaser71 wrote:20 years ago, had I had a son, I probably would have been ok with a circumcision. But today, since I know better, I'd be against it. So, in that sense I can certainly see how someone with deep regrets on making a bad decision would hide behind douchery and accusations of emotionalism when the issue is brought up. Rationalizing a bad decision brings out the ugly and moron in people. And it's been full on fucking display here over the past few days.
Yeah, I believe I tried to make that point. The main thing now is to break through, as you so beautifully put it, the douchery and accusations of emotionalism.

We shouldn't cry over spilled foreskins; let's just try and prevent spilled foreskins in the future.
You and God are going to have to fight over them. Yahweh loves infant calamari.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Lsuoma wrote:
jimthepleb wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Aside from this being a really fucking dumb, overly complicated solution to a problem that does not really exist, who ya gonna trust with your sex videos?
I hear she stars in most of them.

:rimshot:
Granny porn, fun(ds) for all the family.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

jimthepleb wrote:
Steersman wrote:
Yup that'll be 3.

No steerzi-babes I learnt long ago not to enact the labour of engaging you directly. Although I enjoy your input generally. However I believe you might actually be onto something with your app. Despite the fact that I had originally assumed it was satire and that it was one of the most hyperbolic examples of idiocy I had heard in a long time. Scary ole world.
*doffs cap*
Agreed, Jim. Never engage Steers.

PS. He is probably going to be peeved that you did not address him by his full nym. He cunt do a proper search for his nym if it is not spelled correctly.

PPS <3 steersie

Really?

Post by Really? »

Steersman wrote: I’ll concede that it is moot question about the extent of the problem, but I would say the efforts in California suggest that it is anything but a minor or trivial one. And for instance, you may recollect reading Ben Radford’s The Anatomy of False Accusations: A Skeptical Case Study:
Radford wrote: It was a he-said / she-said story-except that the accused man had photographs of their encounter, taken during what Levitski described as a sexual assault. The photos provided independent documentary evidence of what happened between the two of them behind closed doors.
Police "then presented Levitski with the evidence that they had uncovered which was contrary to her statements. After maintaining that she was telling the truth for approximately thirty minutes Levitski finally admitted that the entire story was fabricated to act as some sort of cover for the images that her grandmother had located on her cell phone. These images being of her and John engaged in sex acts. Levitski admitted that these photos were taken during a consensual sexual encounter between her and John on a date later than October 23, contrary to what she had reported."
Seems that happens rather too frequently. And of course there is, arguably, an even higher incidence of actual rape where the victim is more or less up the creek.

As for trusting anyone with holding onto the videos, while the process is a little obscure and convoluted – devil in the details and all that, I did make some effort to show that the people storing them only have one of the two keys required to unlock the files for viewing or distribution: they simply can not view them without the consent of either of the other parties.

But in passing, it seems to me that if the active parties know that records of consent and the activities exist then they might be a little less likely to make bogus accusations or to cross the line. Win-win all around, I think.
Okay. Okay. You're right. This complicated problem requires a comprehensive solution.

1) Signed, notarized consent contract that is also signed by two witnesses.
a) The witnesses must be of the opposite gender of the signer.
b) Notarization must occur before the sexual act; no claiming you can't find a notary.
c) Contract must specify time, place, date and specific actions that will occur.

2) Final verbal consent must be shared by the partners and recorded as an MP3.
a) All participants must state their names and the current time.
b) All participants must specify the acts that will take place.

3) Video tape of all physical contact before, during and after the sexual encounter.
a) The encounter must be filmed from at least two angles, capturing the facial expressions of each participant at all times.
b) The cameras must have HD capability.
c) All shots must include a clock with a visible second hand to prevent after-the-fact editing.

4) If applicable, the woman must, at all times, have a cell phone and a knife within reach of her dominant hand.
a) The cell phone must be pre-dialed with a 9 and a 1, allowing her to reach the authorities by simply pressing another 1.
b) The knife must have a blade that is at least nine inches long.

5) During the action, all participants must offer continuous, affirmative consent.
a) Each participant must use the word "yes" at least every five seconds.

6) Once the sexual experience has concluded, each participant must participate in an exit interview.
a) Each participant must create an MP3 of at least five minutes in which they describe what happened and affirm that the acts were consensual.
b) Each participant must receive a copy of each memory card or tape or disc from each video camera.
c) Each participant must return to their witnesses and sign a Post-Encounter Consent Affirmation which must also be notarized within 24 hours.

PHEW! I think I've solved the problem. Maybe I'll make it into a graphic. Suggestions?

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Some Lurker wrote:Holy Shit! I just finished watching the new Sarkeesian video. It was her most ridiculous video yet. It is so full of shit that I don't honestly see how anyone who has played any of the Open World games she referenced could possibly even begin to think her argument is even remotely reasonable. I am not exaggerating. It starts bad and just keeps getting worse and worse until she becomes Jack Thompson, Gail Dines and Andrea Dworkin all rolled into one.
REALLY!!
The most ridiculous part (and this is saying something, being Anita Sarkeesian and all of her videos are ridiculous) was when she showed the various ways you could kill women in videogames. Oh, you could bash that prostitute with a baseball bat. Oh dear, that women just had her throat slashed. When will this violence against women end? She showed this, in open world games, where you can do pretty much whatever you want. Steal cars. Go on killing sprees. Blow up buildings. Nevermind the various ways you can kill the men (who, by the way, are a bunch of code carefully cobbled together) in the same fashion. But it's when the violence is directed towards these women avatars, well, that's when you've crossed a line. Utter. Fucking. Bullshit.

And then at the end, she says something like, and I'm paraphrasing here, it doesn't matter if you can do the same thing to a woman, or if playing as a woman do the same thing to a man, because men and women are still being treated differently in society as a whole. Oh, well, thank you so much for that wisdom, Anita. Except that means that whatever you've said up to this point has been a waste of time.

Actually, screw it. I'm going to enact the labour and quote her exactly because it's just THAT bad. (I almost tossed my surlies!)

Here it is, the timestamp:

The exact quote: "But even if sexualised NPC's were more prevalent, equal opportunity sexual objectification is still not the solution to this problem, especially considering the existing power differential between men and women in our society."

The fuck? What the fuck is she talking about? In her video, she shows instances of the protagonists of open world games killing women, an action that is completely optional and isn't even a requirement lest perhaps for a main questline, which considering the games she showcases (Saints Row, GTA 4 & 5, Red Dead Redemption, etc) there is maybe 1 or 2 that involves specifically women. And even if they did, so fucking what? She says "equal opportunity [whatever]" isn't the solution to the problem, so what is? She doesn't provide any alternative to this dilemma nor does she, it seems, intend to. Just a bunch of whining.

Anyone who watches her videos and knows the ins and outs of the games she's talking about knows she's talking utter shit. And still she is talking, monotonously, caked in make-up, trimmed eyebrows and hoop earrings, into the camera without a change of pace. She got nearly $160,000 for this, how about showing what that was worth? Go to different locations, talk to people, get THEIR perspective on things (and I don't just mean talk to people who agree with her but actually make the effort to make a polarising picture). In this and every other of her videos, she's speaking as if everything she says is fact. She says she's a fan of games, but then she actually has the gall to say that games influence sexism and "misogyny" in our society?

Yeah. Seems games has influenced a lot of things. School shootings. Prostitution rings. Marilyn Manson. Jack Thompson. Jesus.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

jimthepleb wrote:
Steersman wrote: <snip>
*doffs cap*
Thanks - jimmie-babe.

But it is indeed a "scary ole world" - we do have to exercise some degree of caution in our dealings with each other, an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jimthepleb wrote:I send all my sex tapes to my mom...don't we all do that?
Yes, I think so. I've been sending all of my tapes to your mom too!

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

another lurker wrote:
jimthepleb wrote: <snip>
*doffs cap*
Agreed, Jim. Never engage Steers.

PS. He is probably going to be peeved that you did not address him by his full nym. He cunt do a proper search for his nym if it is not spelled correctly.
Bingo - "another dickhead/twat". People want a response, the least they might want to do is to ensure their missives are delivered properly or reliably. ....

windy

Post by windy »

BarnOwl wrote: I'm sure some sort of smartphone app can be designed for legally documenting affirmative/enthusiastic consent - in addition to the obvious video capabilities. Maybe a selfie in bed with an overlay of signatures and fingerprints. Most people I know can't let go of their smartphones for more than about 30 seconds, so the app should always be available when "the time is right."
Good start, but a fingerprint wouldn't be enough, since consent can be revoked at any time. The app would need to have a dead man's (/woman's/transperson's/otherkin's) switch that needs to be pressed for the duration of the sex act.

Really?

Post by Really? »

windy wrote:
BarnOwl wrote: I'm sure some sort of smartphone app can be designed for legally documenting affirmative/enthusiastic consent - in addition to the obvious video capabilities. Maybe a selfie in bed with an overlay of signatures and fingerprints. Most people I know can't let go of their smartphones for more than about 30 seconds, so the app should always be available when "the time is right."
Good start, but a fingerprint wouldn't be enough, since consent can be revoked at any time. The app would need to have a dead man's (/woman's/transperson's/otherkin's) switch that needs to be pressed for the duration of the sex act.
That's why I specified the knife and pre-dialed cell phone.

welch

Post by welch »

TiBo wrote:
welch wrote:Yes dear, whatever you say.
It's one thing that you're completely fed up with argueing certain issues, and therefor react in a dismissive manner, but it looks like that condition has meddled with your ability to comprehend things you just read. :geek:
yep.

welch

Post by welch »

Steersman wrote:
Southern wrote:
Really? wrote: And judges, persecutors and lawyers will get paid to basically watch amateur porn all day. Damn, why didn't I go to law school?

I'm not going to rehash what was a long, and actually kind of interesting argument. It's in the history here somewhere if you want to read it.

I think it's an interesting idea, but I don't think you could do it in any practical manner.

John D

Post by John D »

Pitchguest wrote:Ahahahahaha, what the fuck is up my body?

When I had a so-called "pigtail" catheter in the wake of my kidney stone operation, I almost constantly felt like peeing, almost constantly in pain, and was almost never tired. At least, I did not feel tired enough to sleep. Now, a month later, when I've had the catheter removed, I don't always feel like peeing, I'm not constantly in pain, but now I feel more tired than ever before. And not only do I feel tired, but dizzy as well. Like I can hardly walk a meter before stumbling like a drunk.

It COULD be due to the drugs I had administered yesterday evening at the ER, when I felt some pain similar to kidney stone, where I got a shot of diclofenac intramuscular for the pain, a pill of oxazepam (oxascand in Swedish) to calm my nerves, and a dose of ketobemidone (ketogan in Swedish) intravenously to further reduce the pain which made me really, really, REALLY drowzy and nauseous, and I had to lie down on a bunk or I'd puke. When I said I was pain-free, they gave me some metoclopramide (primperan in Swedish) intravenously for the nausea, removed the needle, gave me some oxynorm (or oxycodone), metoclopramide in pill form and oxazepam and sent me on my way.

But it's been HOURS since then. I was there 'til 2 AM last night and now it's 9 PM. Surely it can't be in my system for that long? I just don't know what's happening right now. I feel EXHAUSTED. Is this really normal? Bloody hell. I hope it passes by tomorrow. (Oh yeah, sorry for using this as a blog, etc etc)
Oh shit. I hope you feel better soon. I think I may be on the road to recovery from what I am 90% sure were stones. I have no more pain, but I still have the feeling that I have to piss all the time. It is getting slowly better however.

My theory is that I had some stones that caused bladder and urethra inflammation. The inflammation causes the sensation of having a full bladder. My doctor is skeptical. I see him again Friday. Perhaps it is time to go to a specialist.... or perhaps I just wait since it feels like I am improving.

It is a bit funny, but every morning I wake up early. I get that regular morning erection and it makes me feel like I have to piss so much I wake up. Damn.