Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
WhaleBiologist

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by WhaleBiologist »

I registered simply to say Trophy is a triggering cunt for reminding me of that fucking Baha Men song.

As you were.

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

So...seeing as all rape is equally bad, what do we make of Ophie's rape apology on Oggie's behalf?

Easy J

Post by Easy J »

Oh, & not just Oafie, either. My kingdom for an edit button.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:For space sim fans, look at that bastard's setup O_o:

[youtube]hsEsIXPkLAU[/youtube]
I'd throw up. It's too big and it would induce motion sickness. Hell, when the point of reference stretches in game like State of Decay as you accelerate your vehicle, I can get motion sickness. And that space-shooter, Descent? Barf-o-rama!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Ooooh, Descent! That was hours of fun on my dad's old PowerMac.

Post by Guest »

WhaleBiologist wrote:I registered simply to say Trophy is a triggering cunt for reminding me of that fucking Baha Men song.

As you were.

Why are you a whale biologist if you hate whales?

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Tribble:
I don't know, as someone that doesn't get motion sickness, it looks pretty impressive. Not something I personally would do, but it does potentially add a good deal of immersion in. I don't do dual monitors for a single program personally, as I like to have other distractions running on my second monitor. Like VLC.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Guest wrote:
WhaleBiologist wrote:I registered simply to say Trophy is a triggering cunt for reminding me of that fucking Baha Men song.

As you were.

I think it all depends on how you cook them.

WhaleBiologist

Post by WhaleBiologist »

Guest wrote:

As you were.

I don't know you well enough to answer that. You being a guest an' all.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Which leads us back to our maxim: NEVER APOLOGIZE TO AN SJW.
If possible, you should never even talk to an SJW. Never acknowledge they exist. If faced with an SJW in real life, pretend you've never heard of them and say that you don't have time for a discussion because you're late for something really important (business meeting, date, appointment with the dentist, etc.).

If they quote something you say on the Internet, ignore them as much as you can (unless you're actively trying to mock them).

If you are a famous American or British atheist and they target you, you're fucked. You're already on their black list. Better block them on every social network you use, or prepare to fight them for the rest of your Net life.

WhaleBiologist

Post by WhaleBiologist »

bhoytony wrote:
Guest wrote:

As you were.

I think it all depends on how you cook them.
Very true.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/img ... d5694b.jpg

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Meanwhile, on the Atheism Plus forum, I managed to get many people to feel guilty about using "fuck you" as an insult. Except SubMor, who's now a rape apologist (by their standards).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Meanwhile, on the Atheism Plus forum, I managed to get many people to feel guilty about using "fuck you" as an insult. Except SubMor, who's now a rape apologist (by their standards).

sinister

Post by sinister »

Badger3k wrote: PZ had the chance at Rationalia when they went after them. PZ was a member, he posted a little bit, found out he couldn't take the heat, and left, asking for his membership to be revoked (which ironically kept him from being badmouthed). Keep meaning to go back and see how things are there. Anyplace where they cannot control the narrative - they don't go.
I had an account there but never posted. Apparently some drama went down there with mods, and the result was the old mods trolling the forum just inside the tolerated limits.

If suspended the posters started thread after thread filled with nonsense. MrSamsa was a good example of this if I remember the nym.

The board was a lot of in-group drama, with Rationalia providing a backup board to start even more nonsense.
I haven't been back since joining here. I was like a really bad emotional support group.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

sinister wrote:
Badger3k wrote: PZ had the chance at Rationalia when they went after them. PZ was a member, he posted a little bit, found out he couldn't take the heat, and left, asking for his membership to be revoked (which ironically kept him from being badmouthed). Keep meaning to go back and see how things are there. Anyplace where they cannot control the narrative - they don't go.
I had an account there but never posted. Apparently some drama went down there with mods, and the result was the old mods trolling the forum just inside the tolerated limits.

If suspended the posters started thread after thread filled with nonsense. MrSamsa was a good example of this if I remember the nym.

The board was a lot of in-group drama, with Rationalia providing a backup board to start even more nonsense.
I haven't been back since joining here. I was like a really bad emotional support group.
Is that the board started by the survivors of the Great RD Forum Wars? That was a nice bit of drama in itself. I particularly liked when Oafie would insert herself into it, telling everybody how the were allowed to behave as if she owned the Richard Dawkins site.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

DownThunder wrote:https://www.youtube.com/user/Shoe0nHead/videos

This woman is funny (shes the boxxy looking woman that I think was posted a while back). She has another SJW parody.

[youtube]0dVc1mDxMik[/youtube]
Can't resist a video called oppression olympics.
[youtube]zQYiSTPhz4M[/youtube]

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Badger3k wrote:
I think someone posted something about a guy who had a long term relationship and a kid with her, but they lived in separate houses and he had his own, and no one was going to be there but him. I think that qualified, but I'm not sure. The whole MGOTW business reminded me - in the past, we called them bachelors, and often wondered if they were gay. The male version of the "crazy cat lady" or "spinster aunt". It also makes me think it's just attention seeking - some guy stands on the corner shouting "I don't need you!" - who cares, just live on your own, no big deal.
I think that's what most guys who live single do. They don't call themselves MGTOW, they just get on with it.

The next question to ask is whether vocal MGTOW are vocal as a way of overcompensating, or whether they're vocal because they're trying to develop some sort of single man community to hang out with guys who have similar opinions. Y'know, sort of like a Slymepit for people who don't fancy getting married.

Sometimes I get those "one blowjob away" vibes from Sandman, who is probably the most vocal online MGTOW on youtube at the moment. He makes SO MANY videos about women. It's like, c'mon now mate, when every video a feminist makes is about men, I start to get suspicious that the feminist is just butthurt she can't pull the type of man she wants. :lol:

sinister

Post by sinister »

Skep tickle wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:The peez has a post up signposting RW's Dunning post/glee-club article.

Doesn't add anything, just gives the horde a place to gnash teeth in orgiastic delight x 116

Btw that's a new Skepchick design is it not?

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/1nHB9z3.jpg[/img]
Dunno about any new design, but caught a glimpse of a fight between "Nathan Treanor" (& maybe some other "trolls") & Marilove+allies in the Dunning thread at Skepchick.

At one point (in a much longer post) Nathan says:
Maybe I am confused here, but I thought the “skep” in skepchick,com was supposed to be a referential play on words combining skeptic+chick, am I wrong about this? I’ve made a series of points in my posts and asked several questions with which you could answer and in doing so help me understand where all this vitriol leveled against Dunning is coming from.
A few posts down, here's Nathan again:
“And know that defending a fraud is so far removed from skepticism that it’s laughable that you would presume to instruct anyone.”

Skepticism is a framework of epistemology. That is to say, a method by which to conclude what you know and don’t know. How one decides what to conclude about a given situation very much does fall under the umbrella of skepticism.

How would you define skepticism? “A word by which to describe my own emotional reactions and political opinions” possibly?
Go, Nathan.
Her post was a lot of emotionally charged "information" that "Skeptics" are expected to see and discard. The information contained was no more damning than his own post accepting responsibility. I also see a lot of posts about him being a Libertarian (or small L, i don't know). Who cares? If he provides good content, why do his politics matter at all? Certainly, I see no reason not to dismiss his politics where they are part of the discussion, but the guilt by association is bunk.

Also, I really can't get over the whole "don't put cookies in the place cookies exist" and using JavaScript to hide what the widget did was really, really dumb. I am guessing she is talking about minimizing the code for faster transmission on the internet, but honestly I have no clue how the use of a scripting language could ever be said to "hide what the code does."

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

LOOK AT HER BLOW!!!

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

A lot of MRA or MGTOW arguements seem like the polar opposite of feminist ones. All this talk of hypergamy and other social science terms, all the questions about who is really the most opressed. It's opression olympics for men. Other end of the horseshoe. Like feminism in general, some of the arguements obviously have merit, but it's drowned out by loud idiots.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Tribble wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
PZ had the chance at Rationalia when they went after them. PZ was a member, he posted a little bit, found out he couldn't take the heat, and left, asking for his membership to be revoked (which ironically kept him from being badmouthed). Keep meaning to go back and see how things are there. Anyplace where they cannot control the narrative - they don't go.
Could be that, besides being a pussy, he lacks a sense of humor:
On 2012-07-20 forums poster and admin "Pappa" posted a thread to the Rationalia sub-forum "The Wilder Web". In which he jokingly asked whether or not it would be "immoral to rape a skepchick?".

http://phawrongula.wikia.com/wiki/Rationalia_Rape_Joke

Because that was a joke in the 'black humor' category. Not a very good joke. And the guy apologized for it. Not that it mattered, because it's been used against him by the SkepChick/FTB anyway.

Which leads us back to our maxim: NEVER APOLOGIZE TO AN SJW.
Why, it could have been from "Cards against Humanity." Remember, the point is to be horrible!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I meant "There she blows!". I am ashamed of myself and apologize to Melville.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

sinister:
Maybe it's ignorance showing. It could be that the raw code doesn't make sense to the writer, and thus it "hides" its purpose. It wouldn't be the first time a Skepchick has demonstrated their ignorance by misrepresenting the topic.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Phil, the cliche team called and told me to fire you.
You can are to contact the nearest unemployment office, and you can apply again for the position in another 2 months.

Unless a trampoline finds you and beats you up again of course. :lol:

Git

Post by Git »

Opyt wrote:sinister:
Maybe it's ignorance showing. It could be that the raw code doesn't make sense to the writer, and thus it "hides" its purpose. It wouldn't be the first time a Skepchick has demonstrated their ignorance by misrepresenting the topic.
In other words, she doesn't have a fucking clue how it works.

But then its sexist and misogyny to disagree with her. Or, may the gods forbid, to explain things to her.

Because mansplaining or summat.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I meant "There she blows!". I am ashamed of myself and apologize to Melville.
*Thar

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Pitchguest wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I meant "There she blows!". I am ashamed of myself and apologize to Melville.
*Thar
Really? I just went from memory (an have never read Moby Dick in English. Nor in Physioproffee.)

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Peezeus at the time of the RD net wars, had his tongue firmly entrenched in Dawk's anus. This is one dingleberry he dropped at the time, which has since been proven incorrect. His own little North Korea, demonstrates, that the seemingly paradoxical, is in fact possible, and that he talks shit.

"Every one I know of follows one of two paths: a slow decline into quiet apathy, or a rapid growth in membership and activity which leads to an eventual implosion into chaos, acrimony, and drama..."

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I think I'm reaching the point where I consider Myers & Friends to be as irrelevant as dog shite. Sure, I might be a little late to this realization, but still consider it progress of sorts.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I actually think PZ Myers talks a lot of sense and the more I read his blog the more I see his point of view.
Good on PZ.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I think I'm reaching the point where I consider Myers & Friends to be as irrelevant as dog shite. Sure, I might be a little late to this realization, but still consider it progress of sorts.
Every single one of them from peewee, back room Tina, bansome, to twatson, dreamt of the new gravy train, that would replace the Christ stain one. In their minds eye, they drew pictures of themselves in front of the standing ovations of adulating freethinkerians. Being whisked around the globe to open lesser minds, whilst being adorned with fluvelogs and five star fetishdom.

The only greatness any of them ever have or had, is in the vacuum of their fantastical egos.

Their swansong:

[youtube]3QsNXd57Ppw[/youtube]

(You were never a contender, you were always a bum, you happened to convince yourself that everyone else was more of a bum than you. Bubbles do burst.)

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Tony Parsehole wrote:I actually think PZ Myers talks a lot of sense and the more I read his blog the more I see his point of view.
Good on PZ.
:o

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tony Parsehole wrote:I actually think PZ Myers talks a lot of sense and the more I read his blog the more I see his point of view.
Good on PZ.
Are we talking about the same guy?

AmbrosiaX

Post by AmbrosiaX »

sinister wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:The peez has a post up signposting RW's Dunning post/glee-club article.

Doesn't add anything, just gives the horde a place to gnash teeth in orgiastic delight x 116

Btw that's a new Skepchick design is it not?

[.img]http://i.imgur.com/1nHB9z3.jpg[/img]
Dunno about any new design, but caught a glimpse of a fight between "Nathan Treanor" (& maybe some other "trolls") & Marilove+allies in the Dunning thread at Skepchick.

At one point (in a much longer post) Nathan says:
Maybe I am confused here, but I thought the “skep” in skepchick,com was supposed to be a referential play on words combining skeptic+chick, am I wrong about this? I’ve made a series of points in my posts and asked several questions with which you could answer and in doing so help me understand where all this vitriol leveled against Dunning is coming from.
A few posts down, here's Nathan again:
“And know that defending a fraud is so far removed from skepticism that it’s laughable that you would presume to instruct anyone.”

Skepticism is a framework of epistemology. That is to say, a method by which to conclude what you know and don’t know. How one decides what to conclude about a given situation very much does fall under the umbrella of skepticism.

How would you define skepticism? “A word by which to describe my own emotional reactions and political opinions” possibly?
Go, Nathan.
Her post was a lot of emotionally charged "information" that "Skeptics" are expected to see and discard. The information contained was no more damning than his own post accepting responsibility. I also see a lot of posts about him being a Libertarian (or small L, i don't know). Who cares? If he provides good content, why do his politics matter at all? Certainly, I see no reason not to dismiss his politics where they are part of the discussion, but the guilt by association is bunk.

Also, I really can't get over the whole "don't put cookies in the place cookies exist" and using JavaScript to hide what the widget did was really, really dumb. I am guessing she is talking about minimizing the code for faster transmission on the internet, but honestly I have no clue how the use of a scripting language could ever be said to "hide what the code does."
Rebecca doesn't know what she is talking about. She is not technically savvy. She is not a good skeptic. She survives by portraying sarcastic comments as witty commentary. She has an audience, but it is shrinking.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

"She has an audience but it is shrinking."
And thank fuck for that.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Good on PZ.
Yes. PZ Myers is a great man. He speaks to me and guides me through the dark times. Whenever I'm finding it hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel I know PZ is with me, guiding my choices and giving me strength.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Good on PZ.

http://fwooshflix.com/files/2012/10/1bodysnatchers2.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Good on PZ.
Yes. PZ Myers is a great man. He speaks to me and guides me through the dark times. Whenever I'm finding it hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel I know PZ is with me, guiding my choices and giving me strength.
Oh dear FSM! I actually thought you were serious there, for a second.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I think I'm reaching the point where I consider Myers & Friends to be as irrelevant as dog shite. Sure, I might be a little late to this realization, but still consider it progress of sorts.
Except the mendacious little cunt still gets speaking gigs, and embarrasses atheism whenever seen by the everyday world.

PZ Myers has considerable name recognition, but most people don't realize what a piece of shit he is until they hear one of his execrable talks or venomous ad hom outbursts. He's the Charles Nelson Riley of atheism.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

If Strawkins' quote wasn't so awesome, I'd have your latest post as my new signature. Consider yourself lucky!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Oh dear FSM! I actually thought you were serious there, for a second.
REALLY????
Phil, you scare me sometimes.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Opyt wrote:"She has an audience but it is shrinking."
And thank fuck for that.
And once she saw it shrink, she said, "get the fuck out of my apartment, Reginald!"

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

It was a very short second.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Anyway, if anyone wants to witness the toxicity in Atheism, look no further than Myers & Friends. Creating problems so they can subsequently "solve" them, being as racist and sexist as can be... Well, the SJW mindset in a nutshell.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Except the mendacious little cunt still gets speaking gigs, and embarrasses atheism whenever seen by the everyday world.

PZ Myers has considerable name recognition, but most people don't realize what a piece of shit he is until they hear one of his execrable talks or venomous ad hom outbursts. He's the Charles Nelson Riley of atheism.
But really, outside of a very very small internet sub culture bubble, its pissy who? And sure there is a section of dweebs who will pay to fly him to some circle jerk. But even that is diminishing.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Great hash war on twatter as we speak Isis are invading the US, to your guns Yankees!

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

#amessagefromisustoUs

I meant to your keyboards, don't know where the gun thing came from.

heddle

Post by heddle »

Za-zen wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

But really, outside of a very very small internet sub culture bubble, its pissy who? And sure there is a section of dweebs who will pay to fly him to some circle jerk. But even that is diminishing.
About four years ago Ken Miller came to our university to give a series of (unbelievably fantastic) talks. This was when PZ was at his apex--and while not a General in the ranks of marquee atheists he was, perhaps, a respectable Lt. Colonel of a legitimate, respected militia. (As opposed to now, where he is the Glorious Leader of the Tonton Macoutes of atheism.) During a packed question session I asked Miller about PZ criticizing him as an accommodationist. Before answering Miller asked the audience to raise their hands if they had heard of PZ Myers. I and one other faculty member raised our hands. About a hundred faculty & students did not. It is true that we (I do, anyway) have to remind ourselves that we are playing in a very niche-market playground.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

My first reaction to that photo was; "Oh dear. Stephanie Zvan appears to have taken up free-bleeding. I should probably inform the EPA."

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

You lost me with the Charles Nelson Riley reference. Loved him as a kid when he was on Matchgame and on various kids' shows. His performance on Love American Style can only be described as scrumtilious. Was he an asshole or something?

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Gefan wrote:
My first reaction to that photo was; "Oh dear. Stephanie Zvan appears to have taken up free-bleeding. I should probably inform the EPA."
"Just another morning outside PZ Myer's apartment."

cunt

Post by cunt »

[quote="Tony Parsehole"][/quote]

[youtube]c4Ibt9xrQgM[/youtube]

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Badger3k wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: I don't think it's evil. It does not necessarily means no sex; some have sex and some don't. I think it just means no committed sexual relationships, unless I'm mistaken. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Since I have no interest in committed types of sexual relationships or having a family, I consider myself a Woman Going My Own Way, or Person Going My Own Way, or whatever the female version of it might be called.
I think someone posted something about a guy who had a long term relationship and a kid with her, but they lived in separate houses and he had his own, and no one was going to be there but him. I think that qualified, but I'm not sure. The whole MGOTW business reminded me - in the past, we called them bachelors, and often wondered if they were gay. The male version of the "crazy cat lady" or "spinster aunt". It also makes me think it's just attention seeking - some guy stands on the corner shouting "I don't need you!" - who cares, just live on your own, no big deal.
You might have been thinking about me and the guy I refer to as "Greg the gardener"

Basically they do not live together in his house. He visits and spends weekends with her at her house. I believe the last time I mentioned "Greg" they had three kids.

The last time I ran into them he introduced me to her and mentioned they were going to the hospital for a check up of some sort because she was preggers again.

Make of that what you will but I am not so sure that he qualifies as a "true" MGTOW seeing as I see him with his woman and kids out in public a lot.

I have never seen "Bob the builder" with a woman other than his mother (his house is nearly complete after working on it solo for four years), or "Hank the handyman" with one. Same with a couple of guys I see at the pub (carpenter and fisherman). I believe I have also mentioned Mike the mechanic in the past.

My impression is that quite apart from the MGTOW forums and suchlike online, there are a bunch of guys in real life who have no idea that such a "movement" exists because they are not part of any internet community,

I suspect that MGTOW on the internet is just the tip of the iceberg of what may actually be happening in real life (in this part of the world anyway, because In this neck of the woods the fact that I do not carry a cell phone does not even raise an eyebrow).

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

Apology rejected:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... lville.jpg

Expect a "visit" at any moment:

http://falome.files.wordpress.com/2011/ ... 356-lf.jpg

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

cunt wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
[youtube]c4Ibt9xrQgM[/youtube]
Fucking. Hell....
He is a proto serial killer. They'll dub him 'The Jazz Hands Ranter'. It's even scarier if you imagine you're strapped to a chair while he screams at you. Good find, mate!
OK, here's mine:
[youtube]6f-kPTcW4KI[/youtube]

acathode

Post by acathode »

Za-zen wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

Exactly. Myers is small fry, and the rest of the FTBers aren't even that...
They are barely recognized within a UTTERLY ABYSMAL conference and online bubble, and that's it. We're talking about such a a small fart of a community that wouldn't even be noticeable when compared to subgroups of subgroups of various hobbyists/nerd/gaming culture.

I mean hell, just look at TAM, which is supposedly one of the biggest A/S convention out there - they got 1,650 visitors in 2011. Now compare that to say, Yaoi-con in San Francisco, a conference that is all about a specific kind of homosexual themed anime/manga/fanfic... they had 1500 visitors in 2007.

If you want to feel just sad, you compare TAM to Anthrocon, and notice that con for the people who in various way identify with anthropomorphic plush animals last year had more than 3 times the number of visitors as TAM. The whole "A/S community" thing is an extremely small thing, and within that, PZ Myers and the FTBers are C or D-list celebrities.
Their one ticket to recognition is the A-listers like Dawkins, who actually have some real name recognition to speak of outside of the insignificant A/S community. Dragging Dawkins or someone similar down into their petty mudslinging drama is their only way out of their "no name hell", so they latch on like parasites and do their best to fuck shit up for everyone else.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

The last minute of the rant was the best.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

katamari Damassi wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

You lost me with the Charles Nelson Riley reference. Loved him as a kid when he was on Matchgame and on various kids' shows. His performance on Love American Style can only be described as scrumtilious. Was he an asshole or something?
Granted, Riley had some talent, unlike PZ. The parallel I saw was: minor, bit player who gained recognition based on one thing, then milked it for an ongoing gig. Matchgame was both the apex and nadir of Riley's career. SImilarly, Peezus' embrace of radical feminism and general douchebaggery may grant him the esteemed position of center square on the FtB game show, but he'll never appear again on Playhouse 90.

acathode

Post by acathode »

AndrewV69 wrote:My impression is that quite apart from the MGTOW forums and suchlike online, there are a bunch of guys in real life who have no idea that such a "movement" exists because they are not part of any internet community,

I suspect that MGTOW on the internet is just the tip of the iceberg of what may actually be happening in real life
There's always been plenty of men who for various reasons never walked down the wife + kids road. I've (temp) worked quite a lot with taking care of elderly people, and quite a few of the old geezers I took care of were "bachelors" that never got married or had kids. I have a hard time seeing them as part of any sort of "movement" or anything of the sort, it's simply people that for various reasons didn't end up with a partner.

Without really having looking into things, I get the sense that the "MGTOW" internet thing is a great deal ideological and really doesn't have all that much to do with men IRL who just focus on other things than women, family and kids.