Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
JackSkeptic

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by JackSkeptic »

Percentage wrote:I'm getting the impression PZ is losing it a little bit. Love him or hate him, the guy is an idealist and he takes this sort of thing very personally. I think the Thunderf00t schism really genuinely hurt him more than he let on, and obviously losing Dawkins' friendship is a hundred times worse.

He also changed his twitter bio to some ranty splurt about being "proudly feminist" and "raging"; that has been a pattern with SJWs teetering on the deep end. I think the dude might need to step away from the internet.
While he remains under the delusion that it is his beliefs rather than the way he expresses them that is the issue he will remain perpetually confused about why people react to him the way they do. He honestly thinks it is because people universally hate women. Like the way a theist can't believe an atheist can be moral, despite all the evidence to the contrary, he simply can't accept any other explanation as it would destroy his rather juvenile world view.

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Really? wrote:
Old_ones wrote:
I know Peez didn't invent this shit, because I used to see it 10 years ago when I was in college. My girlfriend at the time lived in the unofficial lesbian dorm for a year, and the place was full of radfems. I remember they used to put up fliers in the mens' bathroom imploring the people using that toilet to "end rape". They also put a helpful clarification on the door in front of the word "Mens Bathroom" which read "The ONLY!". I guess they were concerned that Schrodinger's bathroom user would sneak into the ladies room and rape them by taking a dump.
...Sounds like you had a helluva good time in college. Your ex-girlfriend seems to have had friends who were lots of fun.
Luckily she was there more for the nice amenities and the fact the place was cheap (it was a co-op dorm if you can believe that) than the company. There were a few nice people in that dorm who we were friends with, and she was just as disgusted with the asshole radfems as I was.

My college was a fucking trip though. It reminded me of that movie PCU, if you've ever seen it. I remember getting violently angry a few times because of the frequency of noisy protests. I'd be trying to study and these assholes would be marching around in their patchwork clown suits and dreads, beating trashcans and shouting bullshit, keeping me from concentrating. They did this all the time for the stupidest reasons. I remember one occasion when they were protesting because a security guard told a student not to climb a tree. We had pretty much any kind of radical left wing nutjob you can name, and a lot of them had the SJW mentality, although I had never heard the phrase at the time. My friend Brian used to call them the "marxist revolution assholes".

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

windy wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Well fuck you and your Shermer apathy privilege.

:)
OK, I'll break out of my Shermer apathy stupor for a little while. Alison Smith's explanation seems plausible. She was being extra friendly trying to entice Shermer unknowingly into an uncomfortable situation. She claims it was to educate him, but payback was the more likely motive. But I think this explanation is still more consistent with sex that she regrets, and blames Shermer for, rather than really believing she was raped.
The explanation still sounds pretty strange to me. Would she have let the other panelists in on the plan? Would you want a creep/cad/rapist (pick one) on your sex panel, even for the purpose of getting him to "re-examine his behavior"? She must have been pretty confident that the Perry Mason act would work.
Assuming her explanation is true, I doubt she was going to let the other panelists in on it. This would have been very unethical and if word got out, she would never moderate a panel at a major conference again. If she knew one of the panelists was an absolutist on the matter of alcohol and rape, she could have solicited an opinion on the subject from them, and then pointedly grilled Shermer about it with the other panelists piling on. Given their history, it would have been a very uncomfortable moment for Shermer.

I agree it would be very odd to want someone she thought was a rapist on the panel, which is why I think her explanation doesn't back up a claim of rape. But a creep/cad? Maybe.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Brive1987 wrote:If any of you bastards want to pop in and add your voice to my "discussion" at JREF - feel free.

My line is that Alison Smith, by using FtB to communicate twice, has some responsibility for the network then leveraging the fuck off her claims in their war on the CFI's white skeptic movement.

They don't see it that way.

There is a bonus. MattasMaximus is involved ....

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... 4&posted=1#

But hey, I understand if that sock draw sorting chore suddenly acquired an escalated priority. But it will be entered into your book of life.
MattasMaximus is wearing his ignorance with pride. If he is far too busy to bother doing basic research I would be far too busy to bother with him. He does the classic trick of feigning ignorance when it suits him. A waste of time and effort.

The whole thing is a he said/she said and I think it has gone as far as it will ever go. The damage has been done and the parties that did the damage (SJW's) have nothing to care about as they got the result they wanted. RemieV (who comes across as credible) and Shermer (who also comes across as credible) are left holding the proverbial baby but people have had their use out of them. The SJW's got their result, RemieV won't report it to the authorities and Shermar won't sue. Unless a witness pops up I think your stuck at an impasse.

The fact RemieV used Poppy is neither here nor there really even though it must have been done to cause maximum damage by using people who have no care in evidence and will absolutely use it for political gain. That has nothing to do with the truth of the matter though in my opinion.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Oh I will give Myers credit for one thing. He isn't spineless. No wonder he is running rings around people well outside his pay grade.

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ally Fogg has a post up sort of defending Zoe Whatsits and Sarkeesian (http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2014 ... o-grow-up/), and of course everyone, literaly everyone keeps missing the elephant in the room: Horrors are expressed over a few scantily clad or mistreated women character/metaphors in games designed specifically to metaphorize the hack, slash, murder, and bash of billions of men. Anyway, I posted this:
Yes indeed, we should all definitely pay attention to the serious problem here. Some humanist, let alone feminist, balance is called for.

Enough with having sexually objectified and/or mistreated women characters/metaphors in video games. Seriously, fix the real problems here; leave out the token few sexy gals: there’s men to kill! Billions of them. After all, what we’re all really in Gameland for is to hack, slash, murder, and bash boys by the billions … literally, in Gameland, billions of them.

Priorities? How the fuck do they work?

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

katamari Damassi wrote:I've got a 7 hour car trip tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some podcasts?
Welcome to Night Vale
http://commonplacebooks.com/

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Ape+lust wrote:
...and she was eaten by a pug. The End.

I love happy stories :lol: :lol:
rofl!

@ both of you. Damn :D

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

The Angry Bird and Bowl of Meds keep making me giggle.
hehe

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Aneris wrote:Oh, and the excellent series by CoolHardLogic finally has another part...

[youtube]FH5S8nEo2eM[/youtube]

One would think, 10 parts just to debunk geocentricsm!? Like similar series', geocentrism is more of a good excuse to discuss what can be known about solar system, history of cosmology and our universe. What I like about this series, and others by CHL, is that he walks through scientific models, what observations led people to come up with that model, some historical mistakes, and he also explores “what if” models where he assumes for the sake of discussion that certain other models (e.g. medieval, geocentrist) were true. He even includes the math in a way that shows very well how the formulas work and what they mean. I believe its one the best series that illustrate the scientific method (most others, even Cosmos are fairly basic, lectures aren't well illustrated etc.). Animation, illustration and all that are also top notch for one person. There are shows with more production value, but they aren't usually done by one person out of their hobby room.

So, head over and give him some views and thumbs up. If you like cosmology, definitely check this series out if you haven't. He also has other series in similar style on homeopathy, the doomsday predictions and some loose batshit debunking.

https://youtube.com/user/CoolHardLogic
You had me at "Hard".
Just kidding. I meant "cosmology".
But that word should arouse everyone.
Thank you!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Surely there must be some grown women out there who've had sex with old Sherm because they wanted to?!

We must be able to plot a histogram of:

Grown women who've had sex with Sherm because they wanted to (no strings)
Grown women who've had sex with Sherm because they wanted to (and hoped that they'd be the one)
Grown women who've had sex with Sherm because they wanted to (and hoped that they'd be the one, and were pissed off that they weren't)
Grown women who've had sex with Sherm because they wanted to (and had lowered inhibitions because they were drunk at the time, and didn't regret it because they were, you know, adults with agency)
Grown women who've had sex with Sherm because they wanted to (and had lowered inhibitions because they were drunk at the time, and regretted it because they were, you know, unable to control themselves)
Grown women (and men) that he has reaped.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Pretty much this.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

I think that it's about time we had a discourse on the psychology of Groupies from our resident Rock God, Phil.

For no reason, really.

Just because.

James Caruthers

Verified from years of personal experience, SJWs are not interested in a debate or a response or a discussion. They’re only interested in shouting you down if you disagree. They don’t want enlightenment, they want power, nothing more, nothing less.
This guy sounds like a fucking slymepitter. 8-)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

James Caruthers wrote:

Pretty much this.

Well yeah except for all that "the left" stuff. There are plenty of lefties who are not crazy. There are plenty of leftist policies that work well.

acathode

Post by acathode »

comhcinc wrote:Well yeah except for all that "the left" stuff. There are plenty of lefties who are not crazy. There are plenty of leftist policies that work well.
Of course there are sane lefties, we are a lot of sane lefties here on the pit... just as there were sane people on the right during the 80s and 90s when christian right-wing moralists tried censoring youth culture like music, roleplaying, and yeah, videogames too. Because that's really what this is - SJWs are the leftists very own moralists, with their own ridiculous satanism scare and "OMFG IF YOU PLAY THIS GAME BACKWARDS IT TELLS YOU TO KILL WOMEN!!!".

If you look at the underlying motive for both groups you find the same shitty reason: They figure that if they can control the culture, esp. the culture of the young, they'll be able to indoctrinate people into perfect citizen for their own perfect Christan/leftist utopia.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Catherine Comins, assistant dean of student life at Vassar, also sees some value in this loose use of "rape."...Comins argues that men who are unjustly accused can sometimes gain from the experience. "They have a lot of pain, but it is not a pain that I would necessarily have spared them. I think it ideally initiates a process of self-exploration. 'How do I see women?' 'If I didn't violate her, could I have?' 'Do I have the potential to do to her what they say I did?' Those are good questions."
Let's change this a bit, shall we? And see how it's received:
Carl Comensplainer, assistant dean of student life at MurderUni, also sees some value in this loose use of "murder."...Comensplainer argues that women who are unjustly accused of murder can sometimes gain from the experience. "They have a lot of pain, but it is not a pain that I would necessarily have spared them. I think it ideally initiates a process of self-exploration. 'How do I see people?' 'If I didn't kill him, could I have?' 'Do I have the potential to do to him what they say I did?' Those are good questions."

HoneyWagon

Post by HoneyWagon »

comhcinc wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

Pretty much this.

Well yeah except for all that "the left" stuff. There are plenty of lefties who are not crazy. There are plenty of leftist policies that work well.

I am a "lefty"
I wish we could clone Bernie Sanders, for example.
But this SJW crap is bullshit.
By the milquetoast definition of feminist they trot out when asking how anyone could disagree with them, I am a feminist.
But I started just using the term humanist instead so as not to be associated with the type of person who spends all their free time trying to shame allies and calling criticism sexism/racism/misogyny, etc...

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:If any of you bastards want to pop in and add your voice to my "discussion" at JREF - feel free.

My line is that Alison Smith, by using FtB to communicate twice, has some responsibility for the network then leveraging the fuck off her claims in their war on the CFI's white skeptic movement.

They don't see it that way.

There is a bonus. MattasMaximus is involved ....

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php? ... 4&posted=1#

But hey, I understand if that sock draw sorting chore suddenly acquired an escalated priority. But it will be entered into your book of life.
MattasMaximus is wearing his ignorance with pride. If he is far too busy to bother doing basic research I would be far too busy to bother with him. He does the classic trick of feigning ignorance when it suits him. A waste of time and effort.

The whole thing is a he said/she said and I think it has gone as far as it will ever go. The damage has been done and the parties that did the damage (SJW's) have nothing to care about as they got the result they wanted. RemieV (who comes across as credible) and Shermer (who also comes across as credible) are left holding the proverbial baby but people have had their use out of them. The SJW's got their result, RemieV won't report it to the authorities and Shermar won't sue. Unless a witness pops up I think your stuck at an impasse.

The fact RemieV used Poppy is neither here nor there really even though it must have been done to cause maximum damage by using people who have no care in evidence and will absolutely use it for political gain. That has nothing to do with the truth of the matter though in my opinion.
I guess it may be a long bow but I see both Stollznow and Smith's claims as having a life and utility beyond "simple" truth/untruth. Ie they were used as ideological leverage by SJL

So to a degree I blame both both KS and AS for recklessly pursuing their own (perhaps legit) complaints via a medium which any sane person would realise had collateral implications. They just didn't care.

It appears most at JREF only see the rape complaint and not the secondary fallout from adopting the Poppy/PZ approach.

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Avalyne wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote: (Remember that I'm new to all this.)

Has this been an above-average two weeks or is it always this crazy, with one thing after another?
Way above average. It seems like there are a couple of times every year when events stack up fast, but this is big even compared to most of those. On the other hand, sometimes there's not anything going on for so long that the Pit goes quiet for hours.
And by "hours," he means "minutes." Pit never goes quiet. It just gets more base and disgusting and then, to allay the boredom, people start attacking Mykeru. :popcorn:
"There are eight million stories in the Naked City (aka, "The Pit!!11!!). This has been (that is) one of them." ;-)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote: see the rape complaint

I'm sorry but I refuse to call it that. You report rape to the police, not to bloggers. If you want me to take your claims seriously then you need to take them serious yourself.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

jet_lagg wrote:I've been watching a lot of Karen Straughan this week. Particularly interesting are her statements concerning A Voice For Men, as they don't seem to match at all with the sentiments I see around here. If it were someone I didn't respect, I'd be able to dismiss their opinion based solely off the the pit's testimony, such is my esteem for you fuckers ;)

But I do respect her, so I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on the group, and how they arrived at it.
Mixed feelings. AVFM, and the men's rights movement generally, is feminism as applied to men's experiences. I have (probably obvious, if you read my posts) sympathies with the issues the MRM are interested in, but ultimately it's just another kind of identity politics, and the end result, if not the purpose, of identity politics, is convincing yourself you're hard done by so you have a free pass to behave horribly, and AVFM certainly has that tendency.

Having said that, a lot of the reflexive condemnation of AVFM is the Damsel in Distress Reflex in action. Ally Fogg gets endless mileage from the "Bash a Violent Bitch" post, when even a cursory examination will show it's a "Modest Proposal"-style satire. But we are so inured to thinking of women as exquisitely fragile porcelain children who must be protected at all costs that even satirically referring to imaginary violence against women is treated as an example of violence against women. I think to break down that prejudice you have to confront it and criticise it, like AVFM does, not indulge it like Fogg does.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I'm sorry but I refuse to call it that. You report rape to the police, not to bloggers. If you want me to take your claims seriously then you need to take them serious yourself.
Police requires little things like evidence, a coherent story, and accuracy. Internet rumors require nothing but people willing believe them.

James Caruthers

Kirbmarc wrote:
Catherine Comins, assistant dean of student life at Vassar, also sees some value in this loose use of "rape."...Comins argues that men who are unjustly accused can sometimes gain from the experience. "They have a lot of pain, but it is not a pain that I would necessarily have spared them. I think it ideally initiates a process of self-exploration. 'How do I see women?' 'If I didn't violate her, could I have?' 'Do I have the potential to do to her what they say I did?' Those are good questions."
Let's change this a bit, shall we? And see how it's received:
Carl Comensplainer, assistant dean of student life at MurderUni, also sees some value in this loose use of "murder."...Comensplainer argues that women who are unjustly accused of murder can sometimes gain from the experience. "They have a lot of pain, but it is not a pain that I would necessarily have spared them. I think it ideally initiates a process of self-exploration. 'How do I see people?' 'If I didn't kill him, could I have?' 'Do I have the potential to do to him what they say I did?' Those are good questions."
OMG why do you hate women so much?!? I literally can't even.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Kirbmarc wrote:
Police requires little things like evidence, a coherent story, and accuracy. Internet rumors require nothing but people willing believe them.

Which is why I refuse to call it anything other than just a rumor.

James Caruthers

When you think about it, why would anyone (sane) ever talk about their rape or harassment story in an atheist activism setting?

It has no relevance at ALL to atheism.

Sane people report crimes to the cops.

Sure, IF the guy was convicted and happened to be a prominent atheist, that would be news. Fuck, if he was taken to court for rape and was a prominent atheist, THAT would be news.

But this internet culture of claiming rape and using it to destroy ideological opponents has got to stop. If someone was raped, they need to go to the police right away so that nobody else ends up raped in future. Even if they get off because of lack of evidence, AT LEAST you have it on record that you tried to convict him of rape, which is a damn sight stronger than "I reported it to my feminist school board" or "I posted it on my blaugh hugbox where everyone mostly agrees with me by default."

Atheists need to adopt the attitude of "evidence or GTFO" or atheism is doomed to become another co-opted wing of SJW liberalism, joining with other co-opted groups like black rights, women's rights, gay rights and trans rights to advance the goals of a narrow sliver of white, upper-class, ultra-"privileged" academic feminist wombyn.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

To me if you are unwilling to report the crime to the police then you lose right to make claims about it later.

I'm sorry I know that is cold but that is just the way I feel. Most rapist keep raping until they are stopped. By not reporting a rape you are in fact allowing that person to continue to prey on people.

That is what really pisses me off about shit like this. There are times when a person can not report a rape, when doing so may being real harm to themselves or someone they care about. In none of these events that have been talking about in our community has that been the case.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Even if they get off because of lack of evidence, AT LEAST you have it on record that you tried to convict him of rape, which is a damn sight stronger than "I reported it to my feminist school board" or "I posted it on my blaugh hugbox where everyone mostly agrees with me by default."
Police is part of the patriarchy, they can't be trusted.
Atheists need to adopt the attitude of "evidence or GTFO" or atheism is doomed to become another co-opted wing of SJW liberalism, joining with other co-opted groups like black rights, women's rights, gay rights and trans rights to advance the goals of a narrow sliver of white, upper-class, ultra-"privileged" academic feminist wombyn.
Asking for evidence is what rape apologists do! You have to believe every claim unconditionally.

The Internet rumors will never end. Professional victims and ideologues need them too much. What can change is how seriously you take them.

I remember when atheists claimed to be really concerned about skepticism and evidence. That has to be the standard for every claim.

Unfortunately there are too many people who are atheists (or claim to be atheists) but aren't skeptics. Many of them trust books and leaders exactly like the fundamentalists. Some of them even believe in bullshit like Mother Gaia or the "life spirit". Few of them understand the philosophers of skepticism and atheism, like Dennet or Pinker. Ever fewer have a background in philosophy of science.

These people will simply follow the loudest voices that appeal to them. They frequently have a black and white view of reality, where people are either "good" or "bad" and "oppression" is always one sided.

These atheists are easy marks for Social Justice Warriorism.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

James Caruthers wrote: Atheists need to adopt the attitude of "evidence or GTFO" or atheism is doomed to become another co-opted wing of SJW liberalism, joining with other co-opted groups like black rights, women's rights, gay rights and trans rights to advance the goals of a narrow sliver of white, upper-class, ultra-"privileged" academic feminist wombyn.
At this point, who actually cares about atheism as a movement apart from a bunch of people on the gravy train repeating the same high minded and empty rhetoric to those smug enough to think not believing in thunder spirits and evil ghosts somehow makes them "bright" (remember that fucking embarrassment?). The movement was still-born and jackals like Myers and the like are just wishing to pick the bones clean.

It seems to me it died because people could not tolerate it being a big tent and they let their own political faiths (in many ways and cases just as bad as theists) over-ride the simple message of "why are we giving these lunatics a free pass?"

The answer to that question seems to be because one doesn't need a god to have a religious mentality.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:

Which is why I refuse to call it anything other than just a rumor.
Well come call it that at JREF. :mrgreen:

I had RemieV respond directly to my list of real questions that require answering. She said and I quote:
No, Brive. I won't be giving the identities of witnesses. If they want to come forward, they can.
Well ok. So what lessons do we draw from the fact NO-ONE has come out yet on the record to corroborate her story?

Even Stollznow managed to rustle up Joe Anderson.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
At this point, who actually cares about atheism as a movement apart from a bunch of people on the gravy train repeating the same high minded and empty rhetoric to those smug enough to think not believing in thunder spirits and evil ghosts somehow makes them "bright" (remember that fucking embarrassment?).
I do.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Brive1987 wrote: Well come call it that at JREF. :mrgreen:
I am not a member of that forum.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

James Caruthers wrote:When you think about it, why would anyone (sane) ever talk about their rape or harassment story in an atheist activism setting?

It has no relevance at ALL to atheism.

Sane people report crimes to the cops.

Sure, IF the guy was convicted and happened to be a prominent atheist, that would be news. Fuck, if he was taken to court for rape and was a prominent atheist, THAT would be news.

But this internet culture of claiming rape and using it to destroy ideological opponents has got to stop. If someone was raped, they need to go to the police right away so that nobody else ends up raped in future. Even if they get off because of lack of evidence, AT LEAST you have it on record that you tried to convict him of rape, which is a damn sight stronger than "I reported it to my feminist school board" or "I posted it on my blaugh hugbox where everyone mostly agrees with me by default."

Thing is, she couldn't have reported it to the police at the time. Back in 2008 it wasn't established, even in SJW circles, that a woman's drunken consent was invalid and could be revoked, retrospectively making consensual sex rape. It still isn't the law, so she still can't report it to the police - but it is established in SJW feminist doctrine, so she can take it to them.

This doctrine treats women as children in the care of men, who are adults responsible for the actions of their female wards. If it is ever established in law and wider society that drunken consent equals rape if a woman says so, I suspect the unintended consequences will be huge. You'll end up with bar owners being held liable for alleged assaults on women they served drinks to (businesses, having deeper pockets than individuals, are more productive to sue), and ultimately bars refusing to serve alcohol to women, and women not being allowed anywhere alcohol is served without a chaperone - just like in my grandmother's day, the courts' refusal to enforce a debt on a woman ended up with nobody being prepared to lend money to a woman without her husband or father agreeing to guarantee it.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

katamari Damassi wrote:Shadow of the Vampire. Under rated movie. Great Dafoe performance.
http://i.imgur.com/8oixTr2.png

http://i.imgur.com/05VWNZZ.png

Watched Nosferatu and Shadow of the Vampire back to back last year. Both really good. Shadow of the Vampire was the first movie I bought for full price right when it came out on VHS. When I went looking for it last year I could only find a very bare-bones DVD version, which is sad.

James Caruthers

Richard Dworkins wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: Atheists need to adopt the attitude of "evidence or GTFO" or atheism is doomed to become another co-opted wing of SJW liberalism, joining with other co-opted groups like black rights, women's rights, gay rights and trans rights to advance the goals of a narrow sliver of white, upper-class, ultra-"privileged" academic feminist wombyn.
At this point, who actually cares about atheism as a movement apart from a bunch of people on the gravy train repeating the same high minded and empty rhetoric to those smug enough to think not believing in thunder spirits and evil ghosts somehow makes them "bright" (remember that fucking embarrassment?). The movement was still-born and jackals like Myers and the like are just wishing to pick the bones clean.

It seems to me it died because people could not tolerate it being a big tent and they let their own political faiths (in many ways and cases just as bad as theists) over-ride the simple message of "why are we giving these lunatics a free pass?"

The answer to that question seems to be because one doesn't need a god to have a religious mentality.
[youtube]9BdY-SLKvdA[/youtube]

You're correct about the circle-jerk of the conference scene and atheists getting up their own asses because they don't believe in gods, especially when, let's face it, a lot of them were atheist kids who were taught not to believe in god by their parents. :lol:

But, there is still atheist organizing and activism (secular organizing, really) to do in countries like the US and other countries, especially with the mass immigration of Muslims who bring their traditional religious views of how nonbelievers should be treated. Radfems within atheism seem almost to welcome hardline religious imams, rather than give support to a brave activist like Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Just let me tip my atheist fedora in peace, dammit!

I would be more than happy to ignore SJWs if they would stop trying to ruin things I like.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

comhcinc wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: Well come call it that at JREF. :mrgreen:
I am not a member of that forum.
In all honesty, a very wise move.

James Caruthers

paddybrown wrote:
Thing is, she couldn't have reported it to the police at the time. Back in 2008 it wasn't established, even in SJW circles, that a woman's drunken consent was invalid and could be revoked, retrospectively making consensual sex rape. It still isn't the law, so she still can't report it to the police - but it is established in SJW feminist doctrine, so she can take it to them.

This doctrine treats women as children in the care of men, who are adults responsible for the actions of their female wards. If it is ever established in law and wider society that drunken consent equals rape if a woman says so, I suspect the unintended consequences will be huge. You'll end up with bar owners being held liable for alleged assaults on women they served drinks to (businesses, having deeper pockets than individuals, are more productive to sue), and ultimately bars refusing to serve alcohol to women, and women not being allowed anywhere alcohol is served without a chaperone - just like in my grandmother's day, the courts' refusal to enforce a debt on a woman ended up with nobody being prepared to lend money to a woman without her husband or father agreeing to guarantee it.
There's no reason to assume a male bartender couldn't be held liable for a woman's "rape" (drunken sex) under the legislation SJWs would like to pass. Goodfella did a video a while ago about police officers being encouraged to watch out for rapists trying to "seduce" women with alcohol. He correctly pointed out that the form this would have to take is officers randomly harassing men with their dates and saying shit like "you know he might be trying to rape you, miss."

How insulting it must be for adult, competent women to be treated like children. : D

Oh hey, if women getting drunk and then making a drunken decision to have sex now = a man raping her, does this mean that male friends, family members and co-workers who are present when a woman is getting drunk would have a legal responsibility to stop her from drinking? She's an adult, she says she wants to drink, but no no, little missy, we can't let you get drunk because you might have sex! And that would be rape (if you later decide it was)! :) Bartenders would have to hover around the tables where women were drinking, to make sure they didn't get too buzzed to consent to sex.

As you say, best to ban women from drinking. :naughty:

This way, we can stop ALL the rapes! :dance:

If they banned alcohol tomorrow, SJWs would just invent some new logic to explain why they had regretsex and why it now counts as rape. :snooty:

http://totalsororitymove.com/is-it-poss ... out-there/

James Caruthers

Bram Stoker's Dracula wasn't bad at all. I was surprised how well it kept to the spirit of the book, which imo is groundbreaking in its originality, but not particularly well-written.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

jugheadnaut wrote:\

It will be interesting to see the response. When something violating feminist dogma is published in a mainstream or left-leaning source, as it is here with Slate, feminists are particularly rabid about utterly destroying it and the author.
I would love to see the response. But I can't. Because it's on Slate. And Slate are a bunch of clag-snackers who redesigned their site for maximum suck and ever since I can't get their comments to open. Not on Chrome. Not on IE. And I'm not willing to turn off my ad blockers and security apps and open my computer up like Zoe Quinn's thighs on the off chance that I will be able to.

Slate, truly the Apple/U2 of online publications

Apples

Post by Apples »

jugheadnaut wrote: ... It's pretty clear that Shermer is what in the old days would be called a cad. When he sees an available woman he's attracted to at a party, he'll try to seduce them. And alcohol will likely be involved. But feminists assume that when a man is 'plying' a woman with alcohol, his goal is usually to incapacitate them for the purpose of having sex. This is actually very rare, and when it happens it is indeed rape. But the goal is usually to lower inhibitions. A woman with lowered inhibitions due to alcohol can still fully consent to sex, but her decision becomes more about short term desires than longer term implications. This type of sex can and frequently does lead to later regret, but in this case it's a mistake, not rape. I certainly don't endorse this kind of behavior. But a man who does it is a 'cad', or in Randi's words a 'bad boy', not a rapist. ...
quoted for lucidity, common-sense, and dedication to reality .... in other words, why the fuck do you hate women so much, you filthy fucking rape apologist scum.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Gumby wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Gumby wrote:[.img]http://i.imgur.com/E5GX5Mt.jpg[/img]
:lol:

I'm fascinated with simple caricatures, probably because I can't do them but would like to. In this case, we really just have a few lines, a circle and some scribbles with absolutely no shading and yet it's unmistakably Melody Hensley, as much as if it were a photograph. I'm familiar with pareidolia, and no doubt that's playing a big role here. But I wonder what percentage of people have the sort of features that makes them so easy to caricature clearly. Does the fact that she has such a distinctive hairstyle and glasses make this possible?
Actually, the face caricature came from this shop I found:
https://38.media.tumblr.com/61775c77839 ... 1_1280.jpg

The hard part for me was blanking as much detail and shadings as possible (to try to keep it kinda unicolor ala Tweety)while keeping it still unmistakably Hensley. It is weird - if I had just seen a crop of the face without the surrounding PTSD identifiers in the pic, I still would have known it was her. I guess it's just the gift humans have for pattern recognition.
partly I think it's recognizable b/c the artist was working from this iconic and horrifying picture.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/ ... 34x498.jpg

once you see it, you can't unsee it.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Bram Stoker's Dracula wasn't bad at all. I was surprised how well it kept to the spirit of the BOOK, which imo is groundbreaking in its originality, but not particularly well-written.
The main problem of that movie is called Keanu Reeves. The guy couldn't fake a believable British accent to save his life. English isn't even my first language, and I noticed it was painfully fake!
If they banned alcohol tomorrow, SJWs would just invent some new logic to explain why they had regretsex and why it now counts as rape.
Easy. "Enthusiastic explcit consent" is already here. The laws only need to be tweaked a bit to include "failure to receive enthusiastic explicit consent". And since basically no one asks for explicit consent for every sexual act they do, and even if they did it can always be argued that the consent wasn't enthusiastic enough, any man who has sex with a woman will become a rapist if the woman says she felt like she was raped.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

katamari Damassi wrote:I've got a 7 hour car trip tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some podcasts?
As someone who makes the same tedious as fuck 7-8 hour car trip down south that I have been making since '96, I recommend you quit being a cheap bastard, get on Audible and look up The Great Courses: http://www.audible.com/mt/TGC

I have the Audible app on my phone, so I can download it straight in and then plug right into my car speakers.

Recommended:

Big History: The Big Bang, Life on Earth, and the Rise of Humanity

The Other Side of History: Daily Life in the Ancient World

They are long enough so you will be listening to and fro, and whatever time you spend on the toilet in between.

They also have the Very Short Introduction, which is useful as an introduction (natch) a brush-up or simply if you want to kill with your next cocktail party impression of Steersman. Who is a dick.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

comhcinc wrote:The thing is that android is open. You don't like it post your apps somewhere else. Most of these people's concerns seem to be that "crazies will come get me at my house". Cause that is going to fucking happen.
Well people don't go running up to people's houses. But when you get popular enough, there are always crazies that want to fuck with you. Raise the ire of 4chan and you may get several pizzas delivered to your house, subscribed to all sorts of mail advertisements, have missionaries sent to your house or even get swatted. And that is just the pranksters. When you talk about an audience of millions of people, it is possible to attract the attention of the mentally ill.

I do hope that they allow for PO Boxes. Because I am not sure that tossing in the address of your lawyer or accountant is appropriate in this instance.

I suspect most of the people complaining are solo programmers hoping to get lucky on one of their one-off applications.

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

JackSkeptic wrote:I have long considered SJW's and their ilk to be a form of cult. The definition of a cult is not precise, not universally agreed and subjective. But here is a list of feature from a post by Matt Slick http://carm.org/signs-practices-of-a-cult

The following is a cut and paste with removal of the god concept and some explanatory text. So the following is highly subjective and has not been subject to any control group checks (such as similar comparisons to any other group) It is simply my subjective observation.

To me, at least, there are elements of all the following features:

Submission
Complete, almost unquestioned trust in the leadership.
Increased submission to the leadership is rewarded with additional responsibilities and/or roles, and/or praises, increasing the importance of the person within the group.

Exclusivity
Their group is the only true system.

Persecution complex
Us against them mentality. Therefore, when someone (inside or outside of the group) corrects the group in doctrine and/or behavior, it is interpreted as persecution, which then is interpreted as validation.

Control
Control of members' actions and thinking through repeated indoctrination and/or threats.

Isolation
Minimizing contact of members with those outside the group.

Love Bombing
Showing great attention and love to a person in the group by others in the group, to help transfer emotional dependence to the group.

Special Knowledge

The teachings of the group are repeatedly drilled into the members, but the indoctrination usually occurs around Special Knowledge.

Group Think
The group's coherence is maintained by the observance to policies handed down from those in authority.
There is an internal enforcement of policies by members who reward "proper" behavior, and those who perform properly are rewarded with further inclusion and acceptance by the group.

Cognitive Dissonance
Avoidance of critical thinking and/or maintaining logically impossible beliefs and/or beliefs that are inconsistent with other beliefs held by the group.
Avoidance of and/or denial of any facts that might contradict the group's belief system.

Shunning
Those who do not keep in step with group policies are shunned and/or expelled.

Gender Roles
Control of gender roles and definitions.

Appearance Standards
Often a common appearance is required and maintained.
Case closed.

I think we pretty much knew it already, but it's good to have the last vestiges of doubt removed.

One thing I'm interested to know, though - do most cults know they are cults? Because it's obvious if you were to put it to PZ, setting out the various ways FtB behaves like one, he dismiss it instantly (while going on to prove your point by instabanning you).

But it's clear that they ARE a cult, and this is fact is something they should find extremely troubling.

Barael

Post by Barael »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I just watched X-men: Days of Future Past. Wow, just wow!
I was going to watch it tonight, but didn't have time. I'll give it a look tomorrow. I quite like that Professor Xavier.
Sadly I thought it was thoroughly average to meh - EXCEPT the Quicksilver stuff, which was just beyond brilliant

Unfortunately the "lets dump Quicksilver now" was clumsy and only required for the film to work - it was all redundant if Quicksilver had helped out

But Quicksilver was brilliant
Heh, I watched it on Sunday... Phil, watch Gravity next and you're 3/3 :)

But yeah, I'm pretty much in agreement with DeepInsideYourMind. It was decent but didn't really rise to the level of First Class except for the Quicksilver parts.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

another lurker wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ko78E6e.jpg
That plus your sig ("I am glad to have been exposed to this point of view, and appreciate the time you took to express it.") cracks me up! :lol:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

deLurch wrote:
comhcinc wrote:The thing is that android is open. You don't like it post your apps somewhere else. Most of these people's concerns seem to be that "crazies will come get me at my house". Cause that is going to fucking happen.
Well people don't go running up to people's houses. But when you get popular enough, there are always crazies that want to fuck with you. Raise the ire of 4chan and you may get several pizzas delivered to your house, subscribed to all sorts of mail advertisements, have missionaries sent to your house or even get swatted. And that is just the pranksters. When you talk about an audience of millions of people, it is possible to attract the attention of the mentally ill.

I do hope that they allow for PO Boxes. Because I am not sure that tossing in the address of your lawyer or accountant is appropriate in this instance.

I suspect most of the people complaining are solo programmers hoping to get lucky on one of their one-off applications.

Yeah it is but the only issue with your logic is that their address are already on the reciept you get when you buy off the google play store.

Wild Zontargs

Post by Wild Zontargs »

Re: Cathy Young being the new WotW, the FTB crowd can just trot out one of their usual lines:
[...] a Russian American journalist and writer whose work primarily espouses a moderate version of libertarianism as well as equality feminism.

[...]

In her second book, Ceasefire!: Why Women and Men Must Join Forces to Achieve True Equality, published in 1999, she criticized both feminism and traditionalism from what she described as a pro-equality point of view, a philosophy which, according to her, may be called "feminism or something else".

[...]

Young is a research associate at the Washington, D.C.-based libertarian think tank Cato Institute, for which she co-authored a 1996 policy analysis paper, "Feminist Jurisprudence: Equal Rights or Neo-Paternalism?". Her writing covers a variety of topics in politics and culture, with particular focus on gender issues and feminism, reflecting an individualist feminist perspective (c.f. Wendy McElroy), frequently agreeing with men's rights activists, while calling them to task for emulating the identity politics associated with some forms of feminism.

(From Wikipedia)
Libertard MRA sister-punisher, *FLOOSH* etc.

John D

Post by John D »

Fear ruled the day. I was at least directionally correct when I said the "no" vote would be 60%. It turns out to be 55%, but this is "much higher than anyone expected." Well... it is not higher than I expected, but what the fuck do I know. I do think there is a tendency for people to answer a phone poll by saying "yes" and then changing their mind when it comes to pulling the lever (in private).

NPR did a story about the fucking Catalonians today too. What... there are about 7 million Catalonians. Enough for their own country by European standards. But, the Spanish Constitution doesn't allow them to vote on their own independence. The whole country gets to vote. Sounds a bit like the US. Sorry states... you do get to leave. We proved that with the death of 800,000 Civil War soldiers in the 1860s. Sucks for you Catalonia.

John D

Post by John D »

Should have said... "Sorry States... you do NOT get to leave."

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2014/09/19 ... greements/

In which Michael Nugent exposes the SJL as an American Pox. As an Amerkan, I'm deeply offended--and deeply in agreement. Why exactly has the SJL arisen as an American social cancer? Discuss.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

comhcinc wrote:
another lurker wrote:
I'm gonna track you down and kick you in the tires..

Oh wait...

For your own sake, Don't.

[youtube]enRKvjKr7l0[/youtube]

Also for your own sake don't dive next to those tires.
lol. Those tires are almost certainly high PSI tires (mine run 110PSI) designed for heavy, heavy loads. Not 'let's drive comfortably' at 32PSI.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Hunt wrote:http://www.michaelnugent.com/2014/09/19 ... greements/

In which Michael Nugent exposes the SJL as an American Pox. As an Amerkan, I'm deeply offended--and deeply in agreement. Why exactly has the SJL arisen as an American social cancer? Discuss.
Unlike Nugent, I should say I'm using American as in "North America". You fucking Canadians are partly responsible.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

JackSkeptic wrote:Oh I will give Myers credit for one thing. He isn't spineless. No wonder he is running rings around people well outside his pay grade.
Only when it's behind the keyboard.

Post by guest »

• Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
    RadioLab
    Star Talk
    This American Life
    99% Invisible
    Science Friday
    Science Talk
    Science Weekly
    Studio 360 Science and Creativity
    Memory Palace
    Fugitive Waves
    TED Talks
    TED Radio Hour

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Richard Dworkins wrote:At this point, who actually cares about atheism as a movement apart from a bunch of people on the gravy train repeating the same high minded and empty rhetoric to those smug enough to think not believing in thunder spirits and evil ghosts somehow makes them "bright" (remember that fucking embarrassment?). The movement was still-born and jackals like Myers and the like are just wishing to pick the bones clean.
Agreed, but secularism is very important because religion in gov't is - for lack of a better phrase - a clear and present danger. To the extent that secularism and atheism are related, even if a vast majority of secularists in the US are religious, problems with atheists are causing problems for everyone.

I really don't care if you want to kneel to a sky-god and/or talk to an imaginary friend several times a day or week or year. But if try to force me to join in, we're going to have issues.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

Peezus is having trouble understanding written English.

so lets understand the situation at FTB - Peezus can't read proper English, Oafie can't write it but she can copy paste it, Greta would if only she had the time...