Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Gumby »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Great. My first actual exchange of tweets is with Lousy Canuck....
You'll no doubt be mentioned in an upcoming blog post where Lousy tries to impress his readers by telling how he used superior logic to trounce stupid slympepitters.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

JacquesCuze
RE Sarkeesian:
"If you keep getting these threats, why not stop?" could be an exasperated officer that has seen the "threats" over the course of several years at this point (2012? 2 years worth of "threats", possibly more?). It could also be that she had one of the "insensitive" type officers, that was sick of hearing how big of a joke she was at the department, and suggested she knock it off.

Although the part of her tweet that frustrates me a little is this:
"Me (incredulous): Um... because I believe it’s important."

Because if it's so goddamned important why not do it RIGHT instead of the half-assed way she's doing it now?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Apples wrote: Classic full of herself (and therefore) full of shit Ophelia - an ignorant failed zookeeper who mistakenly thinks of herself as a highly cultured old crone - grasping for a sarcastic example of something so obvious that it's ridiculous to mention it, naturally claims that a country of 13,000 islands that straddles the equator is "in the southern hemisphere."

http://www.matzakaria.com/fototeks/runi ... quator.jpg
Relevant:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... f_java.jpg

sinister

Post by sinister »

Oh boy guys put on your best MRA hats, one of JREFs hug-boxers linked to this thread!

::waves::

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

sinister wrote:Oh boy guys put on your best MRA hats, one of JREFs hug-boxers linked to this thread!

What's a hug-boxer, and I am available if anyone here with a box needs a box hug (consensual of course).

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Gumby wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Great. My first actual exchange of tweets is with Lousy Canuck....
You'll no doubt be mentioned in an upcoming blog post where Lousy tries to impress his readers by telling how he used superior logic to trounce stupid slympepitters.
Here's what's funny. He already wrote a blog post about me. But when I tried to replied, he never let my comment through moderation. Huge pussy. So I guess it's good to be chatting on twitter where he isn't in control.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Gumby wrote:
Here's what's funny. He already wrote a blog post about me. But when I tried to replied, he never let my comment through moderation. Huge pussy. So I guess it's good to be chatting on twitter where he isn't in control.
I think we've all had *that* experience with thimbledick. He was the original model for silently blocking you, publicly declaring victory.

sinister

Post by sinister »

JacquesCuze wrote:
sinister wrote:Oh boy guys put on your best MRA hats, one of JREFs hug-boxers linked to this thread!

What's a hug-boxer, and I am available if anyone here with a box needs a box hug (consensual of course).
It's an Internet Aristocrat joke, basically the SJWs but sillier in my opinion. They are the opression olympics stars of the Woe is Me event. You this one is a particularly weak one though as they never manage to stay after they make theirselves look like a moron. I imagine some incoming 'Guest' posts with snappy meaningless one liners that will learn us good.

I will volunteer to hug back though, you know, like real men... ahem...

[foreveralone.jpg]

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

sinister wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Re RemieV: Well I guess "says" was the wrong word. Perhaps "suggests". Or maybe she could just explain where the hell her white knights are so I don't have to guess.
I think its pretty telling that all the skeptics are up at arms because you are asking her questions. The "I'm a female victim" card sure works well.
Oh, she was brave enough after to email him a chirpy letter and sit with him on a sex panel, but it took five years for her to warn other possible victims?!? I'd have more respect for her if she were lying her ass off than if that were true. If things went down exactly as she said, and she did nothing, then any victims after her should thank her themselves. She fucking infuriates me.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Apples wrote: Classic full of herself (and therefore) full of shit Ophelia - an ignorant failed zookeeper who mistakenly thinks of herself as a highly cultured old crone - grasping for a sarcastic example of something so obvious that it's ridiculous to mention it, naturally claims that a country of 13,000 islands that straddles the equator is "in the southern hemisphere."

Also, it is not true that
Ireland is separated from the UK by water.

"The UK" is shorthand for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Can this dusty old prune please stop trying to use her extremely limited knowledge of the world outside the USA to pretend that she is some kind of international guru.

And please, can someone with Twitter let her know about these two massive mistakes?
I just thought I should explain this for those with no knowledge of the details of the historically-driven current situation.

There are currently five individual countries which make up a smallish group of islands off the north coast of mainland Europe: England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Eire.

England, Wales and Scotland cover the largest of the two main islands (by area), and also most of the little spits of land associated with these two main islands.

The second main island (by area) was once just "Eire", but by the natural progression of human affairs it now exists as two countries co-habiting somewhat peacefully: Eire and Northern Ireland. They of course thus share a land border.

There is a notional entity called "Great Britain" which, to pacify the people of Eire and parts of Northern Ireland, only includes England, Wales and Scotland. However, the Great Britain Government currently controls Northern Ireland (but definitely NOT Eire, which is a separate entity remember). So, for reasons which I believe are mostly political/polite, the entire entity of England, Wales, Scotland (collectively Great Britain) and Northern Ireland is called the UK.

The UK is an abbreviation of "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

"Ireland" is generally used to mean "Eire", exclusive of Northern Ireland.

So, Opheliar could have reasonably said that "Ireland is separated from Great Britain by water". But she was categorically incorrect to say that "Ireland is separated from the UK by water" because "Ireland", by anyone's definition, either includes, or has a land border with, Northern Ireland. She is always pretending that she has some kind of unique insight into the UK, and how its peoples think. She has shown how wrong that is with this embarrassing tweet.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

sinister wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:

It's an Internet Aristocrat joke, basically the SJWs but sillier in my opinion. They are the opression olympics stars of the Woe is Me event. You this one is a particularly weak one though as they never manage to stay after they make theirselves look like a moron. I imagine some incoming 'Guest' posts with snappy meaningless one liners that will learn us good.

I will volunteer to hug back though, you know, like real men... ahem...

[foreveralone.jpg]
... slymepit not working, switching to Craigslist.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

bhoytony wrote:
didymos wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:I'm late to the Avicenna party (other than agreeing with Phil that diagnostic criteria should be respected) and I'm wondering if it's a given that the nym Avicenna refers to this? http://www.avicennaproject.com/home/4569234906
No, it refers to this dude:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avicenna
Oh, I see, a "polymath regarded both in Europe and the Middle East as one of the most significant thinkers and writers of the Islamic Golden Age". Now it makes sense, apart from the Golden Age stuff it perfectly describes him.
But our Avi is a polymyth, not a polymath. Is that close enough though? :think:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

JackSkeptic wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:My guess, Jack, is that Elam just doesn't give a shit about gaming, saw a chance to post something that he thought was funny, and did so. He's a self-centered asshole. But watch out if you ever stick a joking nose into something he cares about.
Too many people with no knowledge of gaming poke their nose in and hijack a cause for their own ends. It is a feature of online life but that does not mean I won't call it out when I see it. It is not the first time Elam has done this either. I care about everyone's rights, men and women, and he damages men's rights that's for sure. I wouldn't touch his organization with a barge pole.

I would not identify as a gamer. I get bored with them and never finish them. That said I am some what of a tech geek and keep up with games as a default. Thus I am pretty aware of things happening in the hobby.

I am also big on men rights. I think we need to fix some things with the current system when it comes to fathers rights. I am the father of two boys (and two girls) and I worry about the world they are going to have to deal with.

So I have been supportive of the gg tag and keep up with it.

Paul Elam and his followers are fucking idiots. I tried to get a connection with them I spent a good deal of time on their forums and was absolutely hated. They reject skeptical thought. They don't like atheist and they are super super super pro life. Here is an example of something that really isn't a big deal but they turn in to some overblown bullshit http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showthre ... t=comhcinc Notice on the second and third page how the main mod of the forum ask me to prove my point. I go in to detail and (I think) do just that. His response (on the third page) is to move the goal post and call me a troll.

So while there are reasonable people in that movement and even reasonable people associated with that group over all they are no better than the FtBullies. In fact worst because they are so big in that movement that they drown out the sensible voices in that group.

Oh and if you want to see his asshatness in full bloom watch this very good piece by vice, in the video they interview Elam. Asshole doesn't even know what shit he has puked up http://www.vice.com/read/the-women-of-t ... vement-804

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

I posted this at the new replacement, sort of, site for Scepticblogs:
I have been a longtime reader of sceptic blogs, and miss its passing; however, I like the lineup of contributors at this new site. I am particularly looking forward to reading more from Loxton, Drescher (who never seems to write enough), and Prothero.

But I have to ask, where are the real powerhouses? Those dynamic masters of critical thought and the skeptical process? You know, the true geniuses of free thought like Greg Laden, Ophelia Benson, PZ Myers, Stephanie Zvan, Jason Thibeault? Where are these real heroes of rational discussion?

Seriously, though, will there be any discussion of the damage being done to American (in particular) athieism, skepticism, and science and free thought by the raging ragers of the Deep Rifts? Or will eyes, and debates, remain closed to this ongoing and seemingly growing threat to real discussion, real free thought, and real progress?
link: http://www.skeptic.com/insight/welcome- ... eptic-com/

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

"The UK" is shorthand for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Can this dusty old prune please stop trying to use her extremely limited knowledge of the world outside the USA to pretend that she is some kind of international guru.

And please, can someone with Twitter let her know about these two massive mistakes?
Holy crap. To make her point, all she had to do was choose four sentences, any sentences, that are obviously or trivially true. And she chose two false ones. How functionally stupid is she?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

I made a tweet about it, got favorited or retweeted or something, about whether that means that "used-condom run" was green lit. Twitter was too short, but in honestly I thought it was a funny idea. I've heard of worse things for games (hatoful boyfriend a pigeon dating sim, maybe - just grabbed one video at random for the video below), and if they did code it, even if the actual game sucked (as a comment below the one I replied to suggests) it's still good for kids. Even bad code can be a learning experience, and they get props for actually making something instead of just talking about it. The idea is a bit odd, playing on the seemingly innate disgust people have in regards to hygiene and hygiene products. Is it making fun of people's squeamishness by having them die/pass out/get grossed out/whatever when getting hit by one (even if it was clean and not used)? Or is it reinforcing that - if we believed that video games cause things like that, which I don't btw? I've skimmed the "games" on xbox live arcade. This probably wouldn't be that unusual.

[youtube]oWbNWAm-zVo[/youtube]

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

How do you get the thing to put inside a set of [tweet] tags to post the correct tweet?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

katamari Damassi wrote:Question: weren't Adam Lee and Twatson a couple for a while?
Nope - Adam Isaak, part of the CFI podcast who left for greener pastures in protest.

sinister

Post by sinister »

John Greg wrote:I posted this at the new replacement, sort of, site for Scepticblogs:
I have been a longtime reader of sceptic blogs, and miss its passing; however, I like the lineup of contributors at this new site. I am particularly looking forward to reading more from Loxton, Drescher (who never seems to write enough), and Prothero.

But I have to ask, where are the real powerhouses? Those dynamic masters of critical thought and the skeptical process? You know, the true geniuses of free thought like Greg Laden, Ophelia Benson, PZ Myers, Stephanie Zvan, Jason Thibeault? Where are these real heroes of rational discussion?

Seriously, though, will there be any discussion of the damage being done to American (in particular) athieism, skepticism, and science and free thought by the raging ragers of the Deep Rifts? Or will eyes, and debates, remain closed to this ongoing and seemingly growing threat to real discussion, real free thought, and real progress?
link: http://www.skeptic.com/insight/welcome- ... eptic-com/
Well said. This issue needs some sunlight if we are ever to be rid of it. This quiet suffering everyone seems to believe is somehow going to resolve this issue doesn't seem to be working for anyone, and the attacks are not going away.

I'm pretty fed up with skeptical groups who can't manage to be aware of any of this until it bites them in the ass.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

[youtube]rNu8XDBSn10[/youtube]

This is an often posted, and for good reason, explanation of the difference between the United Kingdom, Great Britain and England.

It's a fun watch, but I certainly can't tell you that it's accurate or not.

However, watching it, especially the final third or so, certainly does give me ideas of where to buy my ambassadorship to.

austin

Post by austin »

Gosh - attacking Michael Nugent now, that's not much different than going after Jaclyn Glenn. Attacking mushy fluff. I guess there's not much left to fight, picking at the bones.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

comhcinc wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:My guess, Jack, is that Elam just doesn't give a shit about gaming, saw a chance to post something that he thought was funny, and did so. He's a self-centered asshole. But watch out if you ever stick a joking nose into something he cares about.
Too many people with no knowledge of gaming poke their nose in and hijack a cause for their own ends. It is a feature of online life but that does not mean I won't call it out when I see it. It is not the first time Elam has done this either. I care about everyone's rights, men and women, and he damages men's rights that's for sure. I wouldn't touch his organization with a barge pole.

I would not identify as a gamer. I get bored with them and never finish them. That said I am some what of a tech geek and keep up with games as a default. Thus I am pretty aware of things happening in the hobby.

I am also big on men rights. I think we need to fix some things with the current system when it comes to fathers rights. I am the father of two boys (and two girls) and I worry about the world they are going to have to deal with.

So I have been supportive of the gg tag and keep up with it.

Paul Elam and his followers are fucking idiots. I tried to get a connection with them I spent a good deal of time on their forums and was absolutely hated. They reject skeptical thought. They don't like atheist and they are super super super pro life. Here is an example of something that really isn't a big deal but they turn in to some overblown bullshit http://forums.avoiceformen.com/showthre ... t=comhcinc Notice on the second and third page how the main mod of the forum ask me to prove my point. I go in to detail and (I think) do just that. His response (on the third page) is to move the goal post and call me a troll.

So while there are reasonable people in that movement and even reasonable people associated with that group over all they are no better than the FtBullies. In fact worst because they are so big in that movement that they drown out the sensible voices in that group.

Oh and if you want to see his asshatness in full bloom watch this very good piece by vice, in the video they interview Elam. Asshole doesn't even know what shit he has puked up http://www.vice.com/read/the-women-of-t ... vement-804
Attila Vinczer is an idiot. Women are evil baby killing (or having) sluts. Dude has anger issues.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
austin wrote:Check your privilege.
I wish Cristina Rad were from Prague, instead of some place in Romania, because I've always wanted to tell someone to privilege their Czech.
We have to get parts approved before we start production, to make sure the run is good to start. I've only used it once, but when I went to our lead-man, he asked "part check?" and I said, yes, how did you know? get it, Part Czech - part check....I'll be here all weekend, depending on games. :rimshot:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:How do you get the thing to put inside a set of [tweet] tags to post the correct tweet?

You need to click on the twitter to get to the page that has the full url like thus https://twitter.com/RingsideC/status/513160637581508608

You then just put that in to the tweet code
Note I just used a random tweet from my feed.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

JacquesCuze wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:A statement from Anita Sarkeesian:

"There are ongoing investigations in multiple municipalities regarding death threats targeting me and my family," she said. "Despite the seriousness of the situation, a group of obsessive cyberstalkers have started a witch hunt against me attempting to prove some sort of paranoid conspiracy theory about fabricated threats. This is unfortunately another example of how the aggressive denial of women's lived experiences online is not only sexist but can actually be dangerous. The witch hunt is irresponsible and has further compromised my privacy and my personal safety as well as serving as a distraction to authorities during an ongoing investigation."
Wait-didn't she get the memo that there are no witches so it can't really be a witchhunt? Also apparently the San Francisco Police have changed their tune and said that A.S. did file a complaint that was forwarded to the FBI:http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/17/622583 ... an-threats
Headline:
FBI investigating death threats against Feminist Frequency creator Sarkeesian
But fwiw, there is no confirmation from the FBI they are looking into this
The FBI is investigating death threats and online abuse that Feminist Frequency's Tropes vs Women in Games creator Anita Sarkeesian says drove her out of her home last month, a San Francisco police spokesperson confirmed to Polygon.

San Francisco police public information officer Albie Esparza told Polygon that Sarkeesian had filed a report with the police department about the threats she received online and that the police department handed the information to the FBI for investigation.

Esparza declined to release any other details, saying that doing so could compromise the investigation or the safety of the victim. He also noted that the FBI is the primary agency handling the case. An FBI spokesman told Polygon that the bureau's policy is to neither confirm nor deny any investigation they may be conducting.
SFPD says the got a call about something and gave it to the FBI. I think that's what we know at this point.

The headline seems much too conclusive.
Doesn't say when they got the report, does it?
Earlier this month, Esparza told publications that there was no complaint on file from Sarkeesian. When asked why and how that changed this week, the spokesman said he sent out a statement on Friday saying that it was reported to the police department and then forwarded to the FBI for investigation. He did not further clarify why his original statement contradicted that information.
Ahh....so they definitely could have been reported after she received pushback for not reporting it? :think:

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Badger3k wrote:I'll be here all weekend, depending on games. :rimshot:
Should I try the veal?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

And that last one - from Polygon? One of those that said gamers are dead. etc? Real trustworthy source for it - I wonder if this will be/was confirmed independently. Still close to 7-8 pages to catch up.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Badger3k wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
austin wrote:Check your privilege.
I wish Cristina Rad were from Prague, instead of some place in Romania, because I've always wanted to tell someone to privilege their Czech.
We have to g

Im et parts approved before we start production, to make sure the run is good to start. I've only used it once, but when I went to our lead-man, he asked "part check?" and I said, yes, how did you know? get it, Part Czech - part check....I'll be here all weekend, depending on games. :rimshot:
I'm part Czech:p

My grandfather was full Czech. Mom 1/2.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

another lurker wrote:Attila Vinczer is an idiot. Women are evil baby killing (or having) sluts. Dude has anger issues.

That statement could sum up a lot of those people. Some of them are okay Girlwriteswhat (who honestly has some very radical ideas) always comes off as reasonable.

Victor Zen seems to at least to be trying to do good things.

Past that while I enjoy some of Janet Bloomfield's tweets she isn't really helping her cause out at all. But hey I enjoy a good show. :popcorn:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

another lurker wrote:I'm part Czech:p

I think I am thinking of something else.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... x-Pile.jpg

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Test ...

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Badger3k wrote:Ahh....so they definitely could have been reported after she received pushback for not reporting it? :think:
That's still my theory, but folks are trying to talk me down.

austin

Post by austin »

another lurker wrote:
I'm part Czech:p

Good, you can Czech your privilege, at least partly.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Test ...
Close, but I think you need to work on it some. :/

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

comhcinc wrote:
another lurker wrote:Attila Vinczer is an idiot. Women are evil baby killing (or having) sluts. Dude has anger issues.

That statement could sum up a lot of those people. Some of them are okay Girlwriteswhat (who honestly has some very radical ideas) always comes off as reasonable.

Victor Zen seems to at least to be trying to do good things.

Past that while I enjoy some of Janet Bloomfield's tweets she isn't really helping her cause out at all. But hey I enjoy a good show. :popcorn:
Yeah. Bitches who have babies = selfish whores who want to bleed men and taxpayers dry

Bitches who abort = selfish whores who fuck and run

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Also sometimes twitter will give you a url that says "statuses". If that's in the url, you need to change it to "status" to get the phpbb code to work, iirc.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

another lurker wrote:
Yeah. Bitches who have babies = selfish whores who want to bleed men and taxpayers dry

All women are evil whores except the ones that support us. Much like FtB. All men are evil rapist except the ones that support us.

If both sides are to be believed then there are no issues. The evil whores are so loose that the evil rapist don't even get a chance to rape.

Oh btw if any evil whores are reading this, get in touch with a brother.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

comhcinc wrote:
another lurker wrote:

All women are evil whores except the ones that support us. Much like FtB. All men are evil rapist except the ones that support us.

If both sides are to be believed then there are no issues. The evil whores are so loose that the evil rapist don't even get a chance to rape.

AVFM /MIRROR/FTB

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

jugheadnaut wrote:

Holy crap. To make her point, all she had to do was choose four sentences, any sentences, that are obviously or trivially true. And she chose two false ones. How functionally stupid is she?
Yup. And my comment after this one exposes the other two of the four as being equally fallacious. I should have waited, and done a proper Strawkins-style takedown of thw whole thing. Or else learned how to use the Pit's "Edit" button.... :shhh:

austin

Post by austin »

another lurker wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
another lurker wrote:

AVFM /MIRROR/FTB
Reminds me of this guy - the mirror male version of an SJW. Quite funny unless you take him seriously.

[youtube]M4Xm6YW2gNw[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

another lurker wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Just a little off topic (is there a topic) rant:

So it seems that Google is asking app developers to provide a physical address in the app description of the google store if they make a profit off of it.
http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/18 ... ogle-play/

This of course has people up in arms.http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comment ... hers_with/

I'm sorry but to me this is simply the price of doing business. If you are making money with something then you should have a business licenses and be fucking accountable. In my life I have done a couple of side projects where I made a little extra cash. I always had a business licenses and a po box. I also always formed a corporation to protect my ass.

The thing is that android is open. You don't like it post your apps somewhere else. Most of these people's concerns seem to be that "crazies will come get me at my house". Cause that is going to fucking happen.
I'm gonna track you down and kick you in the tires..

Oh wait...
That reminds me of the reason people say about owning guns (disclaimer, I have one - a nice .357 revolver, and lots of other weapons, just not firearms) - and post and repost on Facebook, for example - "I need a gun to protect my family". Unless you live in the wrong neighborhood, or travel through them, odds are probably good that you will never need to use it. I have often thought about asking the ones who post these things - "how many times have you had to use it?" I've known only a couple out of, well, a lot - most of my friends own or have had in the past - and even that is a small percentage. I remember seeing that you were in more danger of getting shot by your own gun (from family? visitors? criminals? all 3?) than by someone breaking in. Never checked to see how accurate, but most of the people I know don't live in the projects or slums and need protection 24/7. The chances of being in a school shooting is incredibly small IIRC, but since it is big news, people think it happens all the time. I think it's a human trait to react to protect despite there being an incredibly small chance of anything ever happening (plus, we seem to suck at some kinds of probabilities IIRC).

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Percentage wrote:I'm getting the impression PZ is losing it a little bit. Love him or hate him, the guy is an idealist and he takes this sort of thing very personally. I think the Thunderf00t schism really genuinely hurt him more than he let on, and obviously losing Dawkins' friendship is a hundred times worse.

He also changed his twitter bio to some ranty splurt about being "proudly feminist" and "raging"; that has been a pattern with SJWs teetering on the deep end. I think the dude might need to step away from the internet.
Sure it's raGing? A G and not a P? :shifty:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

windy wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Well fuck you and your Shermer apathy privilege.

:)
OK, I'll break out of my Shermer apathy stupor for a little while. Alison Smith's explanation seems plausible. She was being extra friendly trying to entice Shermer unknowingly into an uncomfortable situation. She claims it was to educate him, but payback was the more likely motive. But I think this explanation is still more consistent with sex that she regrets, and blames Shermer for, rather than really believing she was raped.
The explanation still sounds pretty strange to me. Would she have let the other panelists in on the plan? Would you want a creep/cad/rapist (pick one) on your sex panel, even for the purpose of getting him to "re-examine his behavior"? She must have been pretty confident that the Perry Mason act would work.
I could say that with regret sex. It might be something that you could shame or change. But actual rape? It's possible she wasn't thinking clearly but the whole "be friends and then trick him and manipulate him" doesn't seem to fit. Possible, but...I don't know, just seems unlikely. Does anyone, that little girl from the Sons of Guns guy, invite him to her birthday party in hopes to shame him into looking at what he did and changing?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Badger3k wrote:I think it's a human trait to react to protect despite there being an incredibly small chance of anything ever happening (plus, we seem to suck at some kinds of probabilities IIRC).
I think they are mostly just full of shit and want to be outrage just because.

http://i.imgur.com/pNZfOnt.jpg

austin

Post by austin »

Why is Pharyngula's motto still "Evolution, development, and random biological ejaculations from a godless liberal." Isn't an ejaculation an ultimate form of male privilege - why not random biological squirts instead, more feminist. Why hasn't he been called out on this yet.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

John Greg wrote:Ally Fogg has a post up sort of defending Zoe Whatsits and Sarkeesian (http://freethoughtblogs.com/hetpat/2014 ... o-grow-up/), and of course everyone, literaly everyone keeps missing the elephant in the room: Horrors are expressed over a few scantily clad or mistreated women character/metaphors in games designed specifically to metaphorize the hack, slash, murder, and bash of billions of men. Anyway, I posted this:
Yes indeed, we should all definitely pay attention to the serious problem here. Some humanist, let alone feminist, balance is called for.

Enough with having sexually objectified and/or mistreated women characters/metaphors in video games. Seriously, fix the real problems here; leave out the token few sexy gals: there’s men to kill! Billions of them. After all, what we’re all really in Gameland for is to hack, slash, murder, and bash boys by the billions … literally, in Gameland, billions of them.

Priorities? How the fuck do they work?
I saw that, and thought about posting, but I had reGretavirus, and by now it's probably too late. This bit in particular is completely fucked up and naive to the max:
Suppose her videos are indeed inaccurate, cherry-picked, unfair attacks on the broad games industry. Well, so what? That would make her an ineffective cultural critic. She would become another one of those rare creatures: someone on the internet who is wrong. Here’s a profound truth about cultural criticism. Critiques are only as powerful as they are accurate. If her videos are completely inaccurate they can be completely ignored.
Yes, they can be completely ignored, and no one, especially no one in the gaming "journalism", who live on click bait and are sometimes apparently infested with True Believers, will just fade away. There have been more than enough strong critiques of her cherry picking and manufacturing the results she wants, but they are the ones that get ignored. Sorry, Ally, you Epic Fail on that point.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

'Here’s a profound truth about cultural criticism. Critiques are only as powerful as they are accurate.'

That has to be one of the most naive statements I have ever read.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Apples wrote: partly I think it's recognizable b/c the artist was working from this iconic and horrifying picture.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/ ... 34x498.jpg

once you see it, you can't unsee it.
That's hair! All this time, I thought it was some sort of head wrapping, like something out of the renaissance or some nuns habit thing. Before I knew it was hair, she does kind of look like some bizarre medieval or renaissance painting. Or maybe Picasso.

Or Geiger.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

guest wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I've got a 7 hour car trip tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some podcasts?
  • Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
    RadioLab
    Star Talk
    This American Life
    99% Invisible
    Science Friday
    Science Talk
    Science Weekly
    Studio 360 Science and Creativity
    Memory Palace
    Fugitive Waves
    TED Talks
    TED Radio Hour
I haven't listend to SGU in a few years, but I do miss The Skeptic Zone - the Aussie version, which to my mind is much better. They have Dr Rachie and the others - Richard Saunders, Maynard, etc (http://skepticzone.tv/aboutus.htm).

austin

Post by austin »

Badger3k wrote:
guest wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I've got a 7 hour car trip tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some podcasts?
  • Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
    RadioLab
    Star Talk
    This American Life
    99% Invisible
    Science Friday
    Science Talk
    Science Weekly
    Studio 360 Science and Creativity
    Memory Palace
    Fugitive Waves
    TED Talks
    TED Radio Hour
I haven't listend to SGU in a few years, but I do miss The Skeptic Zone - the Aussie version, which to my mind is much better. They have Dr Rachie and the others - Richard Saunders, Maynard, etc (http://skepticzone.tv/aboutus.htm).
Alanis Morissette - I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, ...... looped continuously

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:
http://i.imgur.com/chLl9sR.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

sinister wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Re RemieV: Well I guess "says" was the wrong word. Perhaps "suggests". Or maybe she could just explain where the hell her white knights are so I don't have to guess.
I think its pretty telling that all the skeptics are up at arms because you are asking her questions. The "I'm a female victim" card sure works well.
Weakest fucking dogpile I've ever seen. It's like they they are hopping from foot to foot going "ooo" "ahh" "your a liar" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Annnnd it's been mod-obliterated. I swear JREF mods have more of a hair-trigger on pit mentions than FtB.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

austin wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
I can finally catch someone in an error! It's Meredith Brooks.

[youtube]bv4q4Kk0Qr0[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

screwtape wrote:\
True story - about 25 years ago I had a patient turn up in the ER with a comminuted fracture of radius and ulna. He had been pumping up a tire and let it go too far and it exploded. The blast shattered the bones in one arm into little tiny bits. When I told my father about it, he worked out the force of the blast (not only an engineer, he was in bomb disposal in the Blitz) and reckoned it was roughly equivalent to a grenade. Ooh, did I just make a grenade post? :o
We learned about that when going to the motor pool in the army. That's why they make those tire cages.

austin

Post by austin »

bovarchist wrote:
austin wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
I can finally catch someone in an error! It's Meredith Brooks.

[youtube]bv4q4Kk0Qr0[/youtube]
Correctamundo, that shows how much I pay attention to these things. Anyway they do sound similar.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Badger3k wrote:
screwtape wrote:\
True story - about 25 years ago I had a patient turn up in the ER with a comminuted fracture of radius and ulna. He had been pumping up a tire and let it go too far and it exploded. The blast shattered the bones in one arm into little tiny bits. When I told my father about it, he worked out the force of the blast (not only an engineer, he was in bomb disposal in the Blitz) and reckoned it was roughly equivalent to a grenade. Ooh, did I just make a grenade post? :o
We learned about that when going to the motor pool in the army. That's why they make those tire cages.

Well I learned something new today. This is why I read the pit!

austin

Post by austin »

Just like this classic really cool song (IMO) sounds kinda like Frank Sinatra, though it ain't.

[youtube]SEllHMWkXEU[/youtube]

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Apples wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: ... It's pretty clear that Shermer is what in the old days would be called a cad. When he sees an available woman he's attracted to at a party, he'll try to seduce them. And alcohol will likely be involved. But feminists assume that when a man is 'plying' a woman with alcohol, his goal is usually to incapacitate them for the purpose of having sex. This is actually very rare, and when it happens it is indeed rape. But the goal is usually to lower inhibitions. A woman with lowered inhibitions due to alcohol can still fully consent to sex, but her decision becomes more about short term desires than longer term implications. This type of sex can and frequently does lead to later regret, but in this case it's a mistake, not rape. I certainly don't endorse this kind of behavior. But a man who does it is a 'cad', or in Randi's words a 'bad boy', not a rapist. ...
quoted for lucidity, common-sense, and dedication to reality .... in other words, why the fuck do you hate women so much, you filthy fucking rape apologist scum.
:)

Is there any doubt that's what I would have been called if I posted this as a comment on Pharyngula? And what's ironic is that by feminists' own definitions, their analysis of this situation is sexist:

1) Objectification. When a man is 'plying' a woman with alcohol, she's not a rational adult with freedom of choice, she is just an object with no agency under complete control of a man.

2) Infantilization. Once a woman has had any alcohol, she is no longer a responsible adult responsible for her own choices. Men are morally, and, if they had their way, legally, required to serve as her guardians.

3) Slut shaming. Women can only properly desire sex in the context of a committed relationship. Since a woman would never actually want a one night stand or a fling, her post-alcohol guardians must ignore any expressed desire for sex as being the alcohol talking and not what she really wants.

Generally when women drink significant amounts at parties, they have full knowledge of alcohol's effects and are doing it because of and not in spite of these effects. Just like men. They want a chance to let their hair down and let loose. They want excitement. They want an adventure. And, specific to women, sometimes they want a chance to fully wield their sexual power and enjoy its effect on men. And, if they so choose, fool around or have sex with a man they are attracted to. Anyone who has any significant experience at parties knows this. It's not a surprise that New Puritan Peezus, who married the first woman that let him fuck her, doesn't.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

another lurker wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:
tina wrote:
ob2.JPG
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
You know something? It is a double experience week end on EQ2 starting midday and I should be levelling my Fury named Cister Punnisher with her Merc named GenderTraitor RIGHT NOW!!!

But I just can not tear myself away. Fucking LOL!!! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

When my bf and I played Anarchy Online it was my job to cum up with character names. We both put on sexy nurse outfits, and he played 'TwoLips' and I played 'Gynie'. My other all time favourite nym, of my naked WoW rogue (she wore a pink bikini with knee high fur boots, nothing else) was Tinkleflower.

http://aomed.tripod.com/images/nurse.gif
I was going to look for "tapping" pics, thought of a yeti in a bikini for laughs, then found this "pervert yeti spies on woman in bikini" story and video:
[youtube]UtmL7NqhAaU[/youtube]

#notallyetis #dontbethatyeti :bjarte: