Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by comhcinc »

austin wrote:
Correctamundo, that shows how much I pay attention to these things. Anyway they do sound similar.

Sexist pig shitlord. Not all women sound a like.

Or

Don't teach women to sound different teach men to tell the difference.g

But really they don't, at all.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Strawwwwwkinnnns... put down your work and BE The Internet!

What's all this about?
I don't think I know this story.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Gumby wrote:Um, what?
What a tool. There isn't a single one of these FtB fuckers that doesn't lie, distort and smear.
The risk factor of being buried in bullshit - being near an FtBer.

Actually, that is one of the stupider things I've heard. The risk factor for being murdered? Being near a murderer! D'oh! I can tell Tidybowl is a

[youtube]YIPr23xyoZg[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I am going to pretend that Mack th.e Knife comment didn't happen so I won't go all rage bloggy

austin

Post by austin »

Badger3k wrote:
I was going to look for "tapping" pics, thought of a yeti in a bikini for laughs, then found this "pervert yeti spies on woman in bikini" story and video:
[youtube]UtmL7NqhAaU[/youtube]

#notallyetis #dontbethatyeti :bjarte:
Destiny will determine if it becomes as infamous as this

[youtube]Us6jo8bl2lk[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

another lurker wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
One of my friends in college was like that. He honestly believed the things he was saying, and you could not convince him otherwise. Pretty sad, really. I'm just guessing that Avi is like that, he might just be trolling or desperate.

I met a guy like that when I briefly worked as a stripper. It was in a bumfuck nowhere town in northern B.C., and this guy was working across the street as a mechanic - changing tires, no less. After my dance, I was invited to sit at a table with him and a bunch of other guys. This fellow took it upon himself to impress all of us with his pure awesomeness. Apparently he 1) was the illegitimate son of the owner of the Luxor in Las Vegas 2) his gf was a hottie who danced at the Cheetah in Las Vegas (made famous in the cult movie Showgirls) 3) he was the personal trainer of Sylvester Stallone and other movie stars

I am sure that there are many other lies that I have forgotten, but those three stand out the most. After he left, the other guys started laughing their asses off in amazement at how someone could make up such blatant lies and repeat it all with a straight face.

I knew one other bullshitter from when I was in the warez scene. This one bragged constantly about how his warez 'fans' sent him free hard drives and 800$ video cards. In fact, he had so many free HDDs that his wife was constantly throwing them in the garbage! And, after getting fired from his 100k a year job as the foreman of a painting crew, he somehow magically got a job working for IBM fixing printers...and within three months was a second line manager! He also told us about how his step-dad is a genius like Einstein, and his mom gave him 30k after he divorced because she always had mad cash on hand. Most of his lies were an attempt to one-up other group members - if one person was going to buy a Lexus, Mr Bullshitter already had one! If one person got a promotion, well Mr Bullshitter did one better, and so on! After he left the group, I talked to the other members, and it turned out that everyone just humoured him, thank god.

What amazes me, however, is that people like this can just sit there, make shit up, and expect everyone to take their lies at face value? I mean, how lacking in self-awareness do you have to be?

Bonus: not bullshit, but I knew another warez dude who claimed not to be racist, but he basically whined about those fucking 'ninjas' all the damn time. See, it's not that he doesn't like ninjas, it's just that ninjas are all shit goddamnit! Fucking lazy assed ninjas!
My friend would play CDs of Duran Duran, Sting, or ... someone else too, can't remember. He had a friend who recorded that, not the actual singer, he was invited to sing in when the original was sick, so the CD recording was him! (not my friend, but a friend of his). The group/singer changed, as did his voice, apparently. He also stayed at the college over one of the breaks, and he talked about this mysterious "vampire-like" guy who was wondering the empty halls, making huge (30') leaps around then vanishing into the night. Only no one else saw him. His singer friend was also the spitting image of a comic character, some kind of metrosexual character from some indie comic I never read and can vaguely remember the name of. Ah, the memories. Distant Soil? Yes - that was it.

austin

Post by austin »

comhcinc wrote:I am going to pretend that Mack th.e Knife comment didn't happen so I won't go all rage bloggy
Good, short memories are beneficial.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

tina wrote:
OB1.JPG
Just a matter of time....
Why does Nugent love harassing wombyn so much?!? :shock:

Seriously though, I can't wait for tomorrow. I'm predicting about 5-6 social justice blogs "showing solidarity" by denouncing Nugent and calling him a rape defender.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

austin wrote:
comhcinc wrote:I am going to pretend that Mack th.e Knife comment didn't happen so I won't go all rage bloggy

My plan is to remain on good terms with you for about five years then claim that you at least almost raped me.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Badger3k wrote:I'll be here all weekend, depending on games. :rimshot:
Should I try the veal?
It is very fresh.

[youtube]caj6zPDwKTk[/youtube]

austin

Post by austin »

comhcinc wrote:
austin wrote:

My plan is to remain on good terms with you for about five years then claim that you at least almost raped me.
I almost did it with the mis-Bitch attribution, for the record.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

comhcinc wrote:
another lurker wrote:I'm part Czech:p

My grandfather was full Czech. Mom 1/2.

I think I am thinking of something else.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... x-Pile.jpg
I'm a mutt - Polish, Danish, German, Czech, Bohemian. I am not, however, a beatnik or hippy, despite long hair.

(however, I do have a Grove that some....people....use occasionally...for purely recreational appointments. Nothing about world domination, or anything like that... :whistle: )

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Ahh....so they definitely could have been reported after she received pushback for not reporting it? :think:
That's still my theory, but folks are trying to talk me down.
The update from the 12th might be against it, but I have no idea where in the timeline it would fit, and it is possible it was missed through just human error. If she did do it initially, you'd think she would show the date or initial report (redacted) as direct evidence and a weapon against her opponents. If she doesn't, it doesn't add credibility to her case, but it isn't evidence against it either. Just my thoughts. She's lied enough about it, and I doubt it's a crime to say you reported something to the police and didn't, and I doubt any evidence against her would gain much traction against the white knights sucking up to here. She could eat babies in public and she'd be lauded for it.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

AndrewV69 wrote:In other news:
http://i.imgur.com/chLl9sR.jpg
I wanted to check out the last video mentioned, where he talks about 'political remixing', which sounds like a euphemism for propagandizing. Got an 'unavailable' message. Hmm... maybe something embarrassing there? So I found another copy. I've only watched a few minutes of it and there's nothing really juicy there yet that could be used against Sarkeesian, but, yes, he effectively describes his work as mixing and framing existing videos to propagandize for social justice.

And he has the mark of the uber-douche: a man over the age of 20 who wears a baseball cap cocked sideways.

[youtube]-sWWVtlc7xU[/youtube]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Badger3k wrote:
I'm a mutt - Polish, Danish, German, Czech, Bohemian. I am not, however, a beatnik or hippy, despite long hair.

(however, I do have a Grove that some....people....use occasionally...for purely recreational appointments. Nothing about world domination, or anything like that... :whistle: )

I have no clue what I am. I think there is some Irish and Scottish and maybe German and American Indian. My last name is way too generic to track down

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

austin wrote:
Badger3k wrote: I haven't listend to SGU in a few years, but I do miss The Skeptic Zone - the Aussie version, which to my mind is much better. They have Dr Rachie and the others - Richard Saunders, Maynard, etc (http://skepticzone.tv/aboutus.htm).
Alanis Morissette - I'm a bitch, I'm a lover, ...... looped continuously
Not - "Friday" - or "Call Me Maybe"? Just not that cruel?
It's a bit late, now, but I have a ton of teaching company lessons that I have to listen to - a course would normally take more than 7 hours, though. The Graphic Audio line of "books" - more like old school radio dramas than somebody just reading a book - are excellent. Have most of the super-hero ones. Justice League, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Judge Dredd (ok, that might be someone else). All good fun to listen to for long rides.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

jugheadnaut wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote:uber late night fumbled key snip
So as not to be sexist, Anita in one of her pre-trope videos, I think the one where she says she dislikes video games states she also has a background in mashing up videos and giving to give them different meanings.

I think what I am supposed to take away is this is some form of video deconstructionism, a cultural/literary critique of the video, but what I did take away was ... oh, this is the exact sort of propagandistic cherry picking, context distorting, agenda driving, fundraising bullshit she implemented in tropes.

I thought it very nicely went with that first video where she is extolling the profit possibilities to small businesses of small video series.

The two together explain 99% of her business model and how and why she distorts games in her videos.

So it doesn't have to be her boyfriend Svengali, ...

austin

Post by austin »

A late night short classic for anyone who hasn't seen this before....

[youtube]0kK1YgR7J0g[/youtube]

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

another lurker wrote:
Badger3k wrote:
screwtape wrote:\
True story - about 25 years ago I had a patient turn up in the ER with a comminuted fracture of radius and ulna. He had been pumping up a tire and let it go too far and it exploded. The blast shattered the bones in one arm into little tiny bits. When I told my father about it, he worked out the force of the blast (not only an engineer, he was in bomb disposal in the Blitz) and reckoned it was roughly equivalent to a grenade. Ooh, did I just make a grenade post? :o
We learned about that when going to the motor pool in the army. That's why they make those tire cages.

Well I learned something new today. This is why I read the pit!
We didn't see it, but the unit did lose a soldier when they tried to do it in the field, I think - the tire exploded and pretty much he did too. Happened a few weeks before I arrived, IIRC - could be completely wrong about it, though, it was around 25 years ago and I may be mixing up a story or example with reality. They did show us some safety videos sometime about tires exploding - maybe basic, or something? Vague memories, and maybe that's where I remember the incident. I definitely would not like to work on one of those tires without one, though.

James Caruthers

Pogsurf wrote: Logic 101 with Oafie

If you think you have been defamed, you must not make that claim, because that is a threat, which is worse.
You see this gimmick being used all over the nogodosphere whenever a FTBlogger, A+er or Skepchick wants the freedom to defame others without consequences. It's hardly unique to her.

James Caruthers

Opyt wrote:Pogsurf:
More like "Your cishetdudebro laws about Defamation of Character don't apply to me."
Laws in general are oppressive to wocks, pocks and social justice activists! They were created by the patriarchy and must be destroyed and replaced by college tribunals run by feminist allies!

James Caruthers

Jan Steen wrote:Richard Dawkins called Adam Lee a liar on Twitter. Adam Lee protests, asks for evidence.

*Reads Adam Lee's hit piece in the Guardian.*
Richard Dawkins has involved himself in some of these controversies, and rarely for the better – as with his infamous “Dear Muslima” letter in 2011, in which he essentially argued that, because women in Muslim countries suffer more from sexist mistreatment, women in the west shouldn’t speak up about sexual harassment or physical intimidation.
Dawkins was too kind. Practically every sentence is, like this quote, either a straight lie, a deliberate misrepresentation, or tendentious propaganda. The dishonesty of people like Adam Lee is simply mind boggling. How can he look to himself in a mirror and not be ashamed of being such a worthless, lying parasite? I now have a higher opinion of bed bugs and tape worms than of Adam Lee. He can join Zvan and Myers in the race for the most despicable figure in the a/s movement.
I wish SOMEONE would finally take these assholes to court on a defamation, libel or slander charge. I realize it's expensive, but someone like Dawkins has the money to pursue it.

While I fully support free speech and freedom of the press, those are NOT licenses to print in newspapers whatever baseless accusations you think will best destroy your political opponents.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

JacquesCuze wrote:
So as not to be sexist, Anita in one of her pre-trope videos, I think the one where she says she dislikes video games states she also has a background in mashing up videos and giving to give them different meanings.

I think what I am supposed to take away is this is some form of video deconstructionism, a cultural/literary critique of the video, but what I did take away was ... oh, this is the exact sort of propagandistic cherry picking, context distorting, agenda driving, fundraising bullshit she implemented in tropes.

I thought it very nicely went with that first video where she is extolling the profit possibilities to small businesses of small video series.

The two together explain 99% of her business model and how and why she distorts games in her videos.

So it doesn't have to be her boyfriend Svengali, ...
I agree that there's no real evidence he's playing a Svengali role. He's the one doing the editing and probably most of the content gathering. But there's no reason to believe it's not a team effort. Based on his dull presentation here, he very well may not be the main writer of the scripts. But I'm guessing those scripts are also a "carefully concocted mix" of soundbites and phrases from various sources of feminist literature and Wikipedia.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

I am not sure exactly what has happened but it appears that part of the GamerGate fallout is that something happened over at 4chan recently that resulted in a new board. I dunno what exactly is true except that 8chan is now a thing.

https://8chan.co

James Caruthers

sinister wrote:Oh boy guys put on your best MRA hats, one of JREFs hug-boxers linked to this thread!

::waves::
Is this a good time for my theory that all women are slootz and bitches be totes cray-cray?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I am not sure exactly what has happened but it appears that part of the GamerGate fallout is that something happened over at 4chan recently that resulted in a new board. I dunno what exactly is true except that 8chan is now a thing.

BAsically if you try to talk about gg you get banned and the thread is deleted. Seems that at least one of the mods is buddy with Qunn and it's rumored that Moot was at that big conference a couple of weeks ago that Antia gave her big talk at.

There are a lot of chans

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Badger3k wrote:Ahh....so they definitely could have been reported after she received pushback for not reporting it? :think:
fwiw, Rhino, I'm with you. My hackles are up about it, and I hope we found out one way or another when, exactly, the first complaints were made.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

zenbabe wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
fwiw, Rhino, I'm with you. My hackles are up about it, and I hope we found out one way or another when, exactly, the first complaints were made.

There was suppose to be a release by the police. I have heard it talked about but not seen it. It might help to see it.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

:D

James Caruthers

austin wrote:Gosh - attacking Michael Nugent now, that's not much different than going after Jaclyn Glenn. Attacking mushy fluff. I guess there's not much left to fight, picking at the bones.
They must establish complete consensus. Even a soft target is worth shredding in the public arena of their blogging network, for the edification of the faithful.

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

One or more mods enacted some IP bans on any/all pro-GG threads - one resulting in a lot of Germany getting blocked - on several boards (/v/ and /pol/, even /b/). One mod (Alex Lifschitz I think?) was photographed at a bar with ZQ, and m00t's gal-pal/gf apparently has a job at Gawker, who is connected with some of these gaming journo outlets. So now there's talk of a mass exodus on 1 Oktober in protest of 4chan guzzling the SJW/hugbox-brigade kool-aid.

Sauce & Spices:

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Bullying!
BULLYING!?

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

Vittu tätä paskaa, ninja'd.

James Caruthers

Brive1987 wrote:
sinister wrote:Oh boy guys put on your best MRA hats, one of JREFs hug-boxers linked to this thread!

Annnnd it's been mod-obliterated. I swear JREF mods have more of a hair-trigger on pit mentions than FtB.
Hahahaha!

Once again, we are invisible! The mighty pit, which is only whispered about in silent, safe sanctuaries, but never linked for fear of its corrupting influence on the pure minds of SJW acolytes! We float silently in the void of the internet, only extending our terrible claws through the warp via the Eye of Twitter, where innumerable mind rapes are committed!

Yesssss.... I can feel my patriarchal rape powers growing.

FOR KAY-OSS

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

James Caruthers wrote: Hahahaha!

Once again, we are invisible! The mighty pit, which is only whispered about in silent, safe sanctuaries, but never linked for fear of its corrupting influence on the pure minds of SJW acolytes! We float silently in the void of the internet, only extending our terrible claws through the warp via the Eye of Twitter, where innumerable mind rapes are committed!

FOR KAY-OSS
:lol:

The 'pit version of a Safe Space?

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

zenbabe wrote:Strawwwwwkinnnns... put down your work and BE The Internet!

What's all this about?
I don't think I know this story.
He's probably talking about when he went after New Atheists for incivility. Before the Social Justice schism was the Accommodationist schism. He, Pigliucci, and of course, Mooney, were the bunch who most got under Myers' skin in that little war.

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Thank you, Ape+Lustyness.

Wouldn't happen to have any more details or perhaps a link handy, would you?
I had assumed Strangroom slowly but surely faded away from any professional or personal relationship with Ophelia/Them, I had no idea there was an Event.

James Caruthers

zenbabe wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: Hahahaha!

FOR KAY-OSS
:lol:

The 'pit version of a Safe Space?
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... _Chaos.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/ ... 47f3w6.jpg
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011 ... Legion.jpg

Well, you'll notice that we rarely face incursions from SJWs here in the 'pit. But we do nothing to physically restrict their registration or anonymous posting. We even encourage it. 8-)

If they're unable to resist 'pit taint, it only proves they don't have enough faith in Emprah Peezus yet.

[youtube]AxcQer2jFL8[/youtube]

For now, the forces of Social Justice seem to content to limit their incursions to sermons from the FTB pulpit and a few forays into the Eye of Twitter.

James Caruthers

Nugent is already tainted by the 'pit gods, he just doesn't know it yet.

Steers Mannus: Avatar of Goose Saucing and Wordy Civil Disagreement, has clearly left his mark on Nugent.

Post by guest »

Badger3k wrote:
guest wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I've got a 7 hour car trip tomorrow. Can anyone recommend some podcasts?
  • Skeptic's Guide to the Universe
    RadioLab
    Star Talk
    This American Life
    99% Invisible
    Science Friday
    Science Talk
    Science Weekly
    Studio 360 Science and Creativity
    Memory Palace
    Fugitive Waves
    TED Talks
    TED Radio Hour
I haven't listend to SGU in a few years, but I do miss The Skeptic Zone - the Aussie version, which to my mind is much better. They have Dr Rachie and the others - Richard Saunders, Maynard, etc (http://skepticzone.tv/aboutus.htm).
SKeptic Zone's Richard Saunders is a big supporter of Rebecca Watson, along with the Aust Skeptics. http://codenix.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/img_1375.jpg
He invited her back for 2014. All publicity is good publicity.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

James Caruthers wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:

Annnnd it's been mod-obliterated. I swear JREF mods have more of a hair-trigger on pit mentions than FtB.
Hahahaha!

FOR KAY-OSS
It's been said before, but one gets a badass badge for being a pitter. Feared more than the mighty member of Cthulhu...

Steersman

Post by Steersman »

Jan Steen wrote:Richard Dawkins called Adam Lee a liar on Twitter. Adam Lee protests, asks for evidence.

*Reads Adam Lee's hit piece in the Guardian.*
Richard Dawkins has involved himself in some of these controversies, and rarely for the better – as with his infamous “Dear Muslima” letter in 2011, in which he essentially argued that, because women in Muslim countries suffer more from sexist mistreatment, women in the west shouldn’t speak up about sexual harassment or physical intimidation.
Dawkins was too kind. Practically every sentence is, like this quote, either a straight lie, a deliberate misrepresentation, or tendentious propaganda. The dishonesty of people like Adam Lee is simply mind boggling. How can he look to himself in a mirror and not be ashamed of being such a worthless, lying parasite? I now have a higher opinion of bed bugs and tape worms than of Adam Lee. He can join Zvan and Myers in the race for the most despicable figure in the a/s movement.
I weighed in on the question which Lee seems not to have seen, or thought worth his while (the link takes you to 3 specific "details" I thought illustrated his "misrepresentations":
But what is kind of interesting is that the "purple noize" link references a tweet by Lucy Wainwright which Dawkins retweeted that was the basis of Lee's accusation that Dawkins, in effect, was saying that "feminists assume all men are misogynists".

But Wainwright was saying nothing of the sort, only that she herself wasn't "assuming all men are misogynists". Lee and "Veronica" have to be either totally clueless, disingenuous, careless, have English as 3rd or 4th language, or are egregiously intellectually dishonest, to *infer* what they're accusing Dawkins of on the basis of Wainwright's tweet. Or maybe they're just fucking idiots. It's enough to make a person cry: Houston, we have problem, we are unable, or unwilling, to communicate basic facts & perceptions.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: It's been said before, but one gets a badass badge for being a pitter. Feared more than the mighty member of Cthulhu...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

[youtube]VqomZQMZQCQ[/youtube]

OR

[youtube]TFwprS_L6tg[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

zenbabe wrote:Thank you, Ape+Lustyness.

Wouldn't happen to have any more details or perhaps a link handy, would you?
I had assumed Strangroom slowly but surely faded away from any professional or personal relationship with Ophelia/Them, I had no idea there was an Event.
No, unfortunately I don't have any saved. A Google search of "Stangroom accommodationist turns up plenty of instances of prominent bloggers blowing their tops, including Ophelia ("It's a mistake to engage with these morons"). Stangroom used to collect his criticisms under under a no-longer-used tag, badnewatheists. It's only a year's worth of posts, but that year was 2011 and you can watch Elevatorgate blow up and his reaction (ridiculous piffle), then the presumable deflation of accommodationism as a hot topic as everyone goes to war over Rebecca.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

jugheadnaut wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Apples wrote: Classic full of herself (and therefore) full of shit Ophelia - an ignorant failed zookeeper who mistakenly thinks of herself as a highly cultured old crone - grasping for a sarcastic example of something so obvious that it's ridiculous to mention it, naturally claims that a country of 13,000 islands that straddles the equator is "in the southern hemisphere."

http://www.matzakaria.com/fototeks/runi ... quator.jpg
Also, it is not true that
Ireland is separated from the UK by water.
"The UK" is shorthand for "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". Can this dusty old prune please stop trying to use her extremely limited knowledge of the world outside the USA to pretend that she is some kind of international guru.

And please, can someone with Twitter let her know about these two massive mistakes?
Holy crap. To make her point, all she had to do was choose four sentences, any sentences, that are obviously or trivially true. And she chose two false ones. How functionally stupid is she?
Your wish is my command. Though I forgot to put a dot on it so it'll only scroll past for people who follow us both...which is probably only @micknugent anyway.

(Benson has me blocked so she'll only see it if someone who she doesn't have blocked replies or RT's it, & then she'll tweet me saying she doesn't want me to tag her, and then if history is any guide she'll consider copying it into a blog post at which PZ or Zvan, possibly alerted via backchannel, will be the first commenter.)

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Skep:
Unfortunately "cold" can be subjective. I get stiff around 50F, so 31F would be a bit more than "chilly" to me.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

I received a very nice invitation by email this afternoon, the key portion of which is 'capped below:

http://i.imgur.com/DZrufGg.png?1

Michael Shermer is hosting a fundraiser for The Skeptic Society, at which Pinker is featured guest....and wine will be served.

Jennifer Shermer is co-host.

I would actually really like to go, but due to work & distance it wouldn't be possible. :(

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Skep tickle wrote:I received a very nice invitation by email this afternoon, the key portion of which is 'capped below:

http://i.imgur.com/DZrufGg.png?1

Michael Shermer is hosting a fundraiser for The Skeptic Society, at which Pinker is featured guest....and wine will be served.

Jennifer Shermer is co-host.

I would actually really like to go, but due to work & distance it wouldn't be possible. :(

I would be afraid that he would be kept giving me wine and take advantage of me

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Opyt wrote:Skep:
Unfortunately "cold" can be subjective. I get stiff around 50F, so 31F would be a bit more than "chilly" to me.
Yeah, I'll give her a pass on the "ice is cold" since it could be interpreted as relative to human perception, and a pass on the dogs since the platonic ideal dog does have 4 legs. Not exactly inspired choices, though. But the fact she got 2 out 4 categorically wrong when all she had to do is pick a true statement is mind boggling.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Yeah, here's the first one I sent (a while earlier, as a manual RT & not tagging her given her past request-or-demand, and more importantly before seeing here the geographic info about Indonesia, which I hadn't known, and the insight about dog leg #s):
But "cold" and "relative" are more costly, character-count-wise, than "ice" and "273.15K"

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

jugheadnaut:
Yeah, I'm willing to give a pass on "dogs have 4 legs", as in general, most dogs I've met have had 4 legs. I think I saw a 3-legged dog once, and felt pity for it, though it looked incredibly happy.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Skep:
You cleared it up for me personally over on twitter. Didn't show up in my feed because I don't follow Mr. Nugent. Redundancy doesn't hurt though.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Peez finds slicing ectoplasm far safer than Dawkins Harris and Nugent.

http://i.imgur.com/8AJcFaV.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6LJWir5.jpg

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Opyt - follow Nugent, then you may be more likely to see the stuff people send out related to his interactions w/ FtBers!

____

On another note - well, actually, a similar note:

[youtube]80Y_QqMhTjI[/youtube]

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Skep tickle wrote:(Benson has me blocked so she'll only see it if someone who she doesn't have blocked replies or RT's it, & then she'll tweet me saying she doesn't want me to tag her, and then if history is any guide she'll consider copying it into a blog post at which PZ or Zvan, possibly alerted via backchannel, will be the first commenter.)
Yep, the old brat will do that. Meanwhile...

http://imgur.com/asPOkCY.png

http://imgur.com/TBz15oV.png

http://imgur.com/bM3suCv.png

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

guest wrote:
Badger3k wrote: I haven't listend to SGU in a few years, but I do miss The Skeptic Zone - the Aussie version, which to my mind is much better. They have Dr Rachie and the others - Richard Saunders, Maynard, etc (http://skepticzone.tv/aboutus.htm).
SKeptic Zone's Richard Saunders is a big supporter of Rebecca Watson, along with the Aust Skeptics. http://codenix.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/img_1375.jpg
He invited her back for 2014. All publicity is good publicity.
Really? That's sad. They really came out against a lot of the SJWs in various media - at least Dr Rachie did (saw some exasperated tweets and such about the drama and rage blogging). I hadn't kept up too much, but that is a bit depressing. They seemed smarter over there than the supposed "skeptics" over here.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ape+lust wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:(Benson has me blocked so she'll only see it if someone who she doesn't have blocked replies or RT's it, & then she'll tweet me saying she doesn't want me to tag her, and then if history is any guide she'll consider copying it into a blog post at which PZ or Zvan, possibly alerted via backchannel, will be the first commenter.)
Yep, the old brat will do that. Meanwhile...

[.img]http://imgur.com/asPOkCY.png[/img]

[.img]http://imgur.com/TBz15oV.png[/img]

[.img]http://imgur.com/bM3suCv.png[/img]
I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you. :roll:

(Thanks for pointing those out)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

tina

Post by tina »

My bf gets stiff around 8am.... :oops:

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

Ah, well, they deleted my comment at Insight (http://www.skeptic.com/insight/welcome- ... eptic-com/). I guess my guess was right, when it comes to the SJL, it's blinkers on at Insight.