Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Immanuel K

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Immanuel K »

James Caruthers wrote:[...SJWs at XOXOfest.

Behold the Prejudice and Pride
When politics and faith coincide
Free-From-Thought-identitarians or prude victorians?
It turns out to all be the same side

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote: Yes, "non-assistance à personne en danger", which is one hell of a "damn if you do, damn if you don't" catch-all.
I remember learning about that (heavily, for some reason) when I was in Germany. If there is an accident and you do nothing, you can (and probably will) be prosecuted. It goes heavily against the ol' "if you assist and in *any* way the person being assisted suffers *any* sort of injury (whether physical, mental, or otherwise), you will be prosecuted" of the U.S.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

I've been out of the loop once again. So, who are the FfTB/A+/SJW/asshat group vilifying and burning at the stake now?

Immanuel K

Post by Immanuel K »

Mykeru wrote: :moon:
There are more turds in your posts, Mykeru...

I´ve seen this alarming tendency
Of fecal matter abundancy
I say as the Horde, you´re a litteral Shit Lord
By denying the turds their own agency

How do Shit Lord make for a living?
But i´ll try not to be unforgiving
And if my brain let, i´ll forgive and forget
The Gif that kept on giving

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Ape+lust wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Ape+Lust, that's fantastic work. I'm in video production and do a lot of image manipulation. I'm wondering how you got the light glare to match the original image so well (as it might help with a problem I've been trying to solve).
Hey, thanks. The lighting is simple -- just a couple of layers with a sampled color airbrushed onto them. No blending, no opacity adjustments, just the golden color.

The image of PZ is set over a base layer of a sampled dark gray, and PZ's opacity is set to about 60%. Then the gray is duplicated atop the PZ image and set to Grain Extract blend mode, which pulls the dark gray out of the image in a coarse way, lightening it. This sandwich gave it a more realistic washed out effect than just desaturating/lightening would do.

Then finally, the lighting layers.

It's looks a little wonky from the 8-bit colors, but here are the steps:

Thanks muchly, and while the 8 bit color might making things wonky in an aesthetic sense, it's probably even better for instruction. Now it's easy to see more precisely where the airbrush was applied. I'll have to try this out on Monday.

sinister

Post by sinister »

James Caruthers wrote:
zenbabe wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: Hahahaha!

Once again, we are invisible! The mighty pit, which is only whispered about in silent, safe sanctuaries, but never linked for fear of its corrupting influence on the pure minds of SJW acolytes! We float silently in the void of the internet, only extending our terrible claws through the warp via the Eye of Twitter, where innumerable mind rapes are committed!

Yesssss.... I can feel my patriarchal rape powers growing.

FOR KAY-OSS
:lol:

The 'pit version of a Safe Space?
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2013 ... _Chaos.jpg
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/ ... 47f3w6.jpg
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2011 ... Legion.jpg

Well, you'll notice that we rarely face incursions from SJWs here in the 'pit. But we do nothing to physically restrict their registration or anonymous posting. We even encourage it. 8-)

If they're unable to resist 'pit taint, it only proves they don't have enough faith in Emprah Peezus yet.

[youtube]AxcQer2jFL8[/youtube]

For now, the forces of Social Justice seem to content to limit their incursions to sermons from the FTB pulpit and a few forays into the Eye of Twitter.
Oh great, now I have to find some way to play Warhammer today!

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Warsword: Conquest is what all the cool beardbros play.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Indeed, Giliell, you are sheeple.
Giliell, professional cynic -Ilk- says

September 20, 2014 at 2:03 am
[Michael Nugent wrote:]Each time that we have discussed these concerns, you have responded that you will tone it down, which to some extent you have. You no longer encourage your commenters to tell people to shove a rotting porcupine up their ass, and they no longer tell people to die in a fire or fuck themselves with a rusty chainsaw.
Which is, btw, complete bullshit.
To the best of my memory, PZ had nothing to do with the Horde’s [read: the Flock's - J.S.] discussion and subsequent abandonment of certain phrases. But it feeds nicely into the idea that we’re not actually people who have brains to think for themselves, but just mindless cult followers who heed every word PZ says and never ever disagree with him, his loyal minions who will lash out without ever even stopping to ask what has happened.
Sheeple, in short.
http://web.archive.org/web/201409201430 ... edictable/

Complete bullshit, you say? Didn't Peezus once encourage the use of the porcupine meme in the fucking commenting rules? Look, I found it:
This is a rude blog. We like to argue — heck, we like a loud angry brawl. Don’t waste time whining at anyone that they’re not nice, because this gang will take pride in that and rhetorically hand you a rotting porcupine and tell you to stuff it up your nether orifice. If you intrude here and violate any of the previous three mores, people won’t like you, and they won’t hold back—they’ll tell you so, probably in colorful terms.
http://web.archive.org/web/201112042222 ... -practices

And it was Peezus who later decided it was time to tone down the violent rhetoric. After this, the porcupine was quietly deep sixed:
New commenting rules

What are they?

The ongoing meltdown in Thunderdome and the departure of Chris tell me we’ve got something that needs to be fixed. I don’t quite know how to fix everything, so let’s crowdsource it — you people leave comments here telling me what rules you think might work to get the knifey-bitey-smashy atmosphere to lighten up a little. Just a little.
http://web.archive.org/web/201408240830 ... ing-rules/

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

From the CHS video (@3:38):
These critics have made some useful points about sexist tropes and narratives.
[youtube]9MxqSwzFy5w[/youtube]

So far from stating there is no sexism in video games, she is conceding there is some.

Yes, we already knew Anita's a dishonest, scarecrow constructing, goalpost shifting propagandist. But another piece of evidence doesn't hurt.

And the video she linked to? While quite clever in its execution, the content is ludicrous. He's nitpicking, and even fails miserably at that. A sample:
Christina Hoff Sommers wrote:Has the gentle sex taken over video games and are video games rife with sexism?
songadaymann wrote:Well, those are two different ideas and the title of your video is 'Are video games sexist?'
Sure. It's impermissible to cover two related topics in one video when the four word title only mentions one of the topics. He continues by saying (well, singing) 'and I don't think you answer this'. The second part of her video focuses on the question of video game sexism. He may not like her answer, but she definitely addresses it.

He responds to Sommers' concession that Sarkeesian et al have made some useful points by asking "which points?" He considers this such a clever response he repeats it. But just prior to her concession she said:
Christina Hoff Sommers wrote:Why isn’t gaming more inclusive? Why must there always be male heroes? Why are the few females always portrayed as either Damsels in distress or sex objects?
Points along those lines, asshole. Do you have the attention span of a ritalin popping ADHD two year old? His rebuttal is almost comically weak when the plain words are laid out. Does he think singing them with a sad look of concern on his face strengthens them?

windy

Post by windy »

Apples wrote: Classic full of herself (and therefore) full of shit Ophelia - an ignorant failed zookeeper who mistakenly thinks of herself as a highly cultured old crone - grasping for a sarcastic example of something so obvious that it's ridiculous to mention it ...
How about "women are people"? :whistle:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

windy wrote:
Apples wrote: Classic full of herself (and therefore) full of shit Ophelia - an ignorant failed zookeeper who mistakenly thinks of herself as a highly cultured old crone - grasping for a sarcastic example of something so obvious that it's ridiculous to mention it ...

And porcupines are butt-plugs

austin

Post by austin »

Hunt wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:If you haven't already, make sure you check out Zvan's comment thread.

It's like they forgot they weren't on the back channel

http://freethoughtblogs.com/almostdiamo ... #more-7275

http://i.imgur.com/wkKnEVO.jpg
Maybe SpecialEd rattled them so much that there isn't a back channel anymore. Maybe they're dying for a group conference. Maybe soon they'll be communicating with strings and cans. Maybe there's a Bigfoot?

You should definitely point out Zvan's conspiracy theory paranoia over at JREF just to show them what you're dealing with.
This is particularly amusing because it comes in response to the fact that Nugent sent them a draft of his post ahead of time to both PZ and he copied Dawkins and Ophelia Benson as well. For some reason it is particularly irritating to Benson that she was copied as well as Dawkins. Imagine that, Nugent sent them the information ahead of time, and it still pisses them off. You can't win. PZ is unusually chatty on another blog so he must be really butthurt about this one.

austin

Post by austin »

Also there are repeated mentions of pitters in the thread, including PZ.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

In other news:

Mother of two, 34, is arrested for 'sexually assaulting' three 15-year-old male students at the high school where she taught.

Seems to me that there is an epidemic of this kind of thing going on. I dunno about you lot but practically every day there is a news report about a woman sexual predator and authority figure teacher charged with the rape of some sweet innocent underage teenage boy!

(And why the fuck did this never happen to me when I was a little lad? This is so fucking unfair!!! ... all boys school with five female teachers in total and most of them over 60 years old SMH).

Also did a search and apparently the number of lucky victims has been upgraded to five according to this report: Cops: NJ teacher now faces 5 counts of having sex with students.

ANYWAY WHERE IS THE OUTRAGE FROM THE USUAL SUSPECTS???

sinister

Post by sinister »

Thanks Baby

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Attempted to get caught up in the online world of skeptics, atheists, and feminism and have decided that human beings suck and I love my dogs.

sinister

Post by sinister »

That was an interesting bug! My newly download phone keyboard put that message in tapatalk and my text message. Bet you guys are glad I didn't send out naked selfies! I think I'll go get a refund though. That could get embarrassing.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Immanuel K wrote:
Mykeru wrote: :moon:
There are more turds in your posts, Mykeru...

I´ve seen this alarming tendency
Of fecal matter abundancy
I say as the Horde, you´re a litteral Shit Lord
By denying the turds their own agency

How do Shit Lord make for a living?
But i´ll try not to be unforgiving
And if my brain let, i´ll forgive and forget
The Gif that kept on giving
[youtube]6f-2LExTvBw[/youtube]

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

ReneeHendricks:
You didn't miss much, and anything you did miss can be summed up as "more of the same". The biggest change has probably been JREF firing DJ and choosing to refocus its scope on education. I'm not quite sure what that means.

Other than that, it's more of the same, nothing that really stands out from the rest of it. Though there is that "gamergate", more specifically "game journalism has gone too far in its corruption" thing, which I suspect you have little interest in. And it also wouldn't redeem any Feminist or SJL-types.

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

Renee: short of it is that grenade-post accuser has been revealed and Michael Nugent is current WOTW.

sinister

Post by sinister »

another lurker wrote:
windy wrote:

Warez and butt plugs. You may have just found your next stalker. Too bad I'm lazy, I probably won't earn you many victim points.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

sinister wrote:That was an interesting bug! My newly download phone keyboard put that message in tapatalk and my text message. Bet you guys are glad I didn't send out naked selfies! I think I'll go get a refund though. That could get embarrassing.
I thought it was a weird response to Another Lurker. As in "a woman said 'butt plug'...I think I need to go to my room now." ;)

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

austin wrote:Also there are repeated mentions of pitters in the thread, including PZ.
They invoke the 'pyt only in the fastness of their consecrated Safe Space Reliquaries!

Their worship of the False God: Peezusanian Christos shall avail them nothing!

I feel the 'pyt overtaking me... It is a good pain!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Opyt wrote:ReneeHendricks:
You didn't miss much, and anything you did miss can be summed up as "more of the same". The biggest change has probably been JREF firing DJ and choosing to refocus its scope on education. I'm not quite sure what that means.

Other than that, it's more of the same, nothing that really stands out from the rest of it. Though there is that "gamergate", more specifically "game journalism has gone too far in its corruption" thing, which I suspect you have little interest in. And it also wouldn't redeem any Feminist or SJL-types.
Ugh, "gamergate". As someone who "appreciates" both men and women in all their sexuality, Anita makes me want to throw up. :puke-front:

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

sinister wrote:
another lurker wrote:
windy wrote:
Classic full of herself (and therefore) full of shit Ophelia - an ignorant failed zookeeper who mistakenly thinks of herself as a highly cultured old crone - grasping for a sarcastic example of something so obvious that it's ridiculous to mention it ...

Warez and butt plugs. You may have just found your next stalker. Too bad I'm lazy, I probably won't earn you many victim points.[/quote]

Not if I get to you first..

FREE SHIT

http://www.bundlestars.com/#giveaway

https://www.indiegala.com/extra

SurlyAmy should really get into the ceramic porcupine butt-plug biz...sell them at freethought conventions!

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:Renee: short of it is that grenade-post accuser has been revealed and Michael Nugent is current WOTW.
Yeah...read that he seems to have kowtowed, however. Nothing like licking the asses of the likes of Ophie, PZ, and the rest.

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

James Caruthers wrote:
austin wrote:Also there are repeated mentions of pitters in the thread, including PZ.
They invoke the 'pyt only in the fastness of their consecrated Safe Space Reliquaries!

Their worship of the False God: Peezusanian Christos shall avail them nothing!

I feel the 'pyt overtaking me... It is a good pain!
*EVERYONE* who disagrees, whether or not they have ever even seen this bb, are considered "slymepitters". Personally, I find it offensive. Ya gotta walk the walk and all that shit.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

ReneeHendricks wrote:

Ugh, "gamergate". As someone who "appreciates" both men and women in all their sexuality, Anita makes me want to throw up. :puke-front:
Gamergate actually revolves around Zoe Quinn, although it's expanded somewhat. Believe it or not, Quinn is much more odious than Sarkeesian.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

shermer1.jpg
(175.96 KiB) Downloaded 206 times

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Yeah, I've only been here for a week or two, but I couldn't stop myself from posting a "defense" of The Pit on Michael Nugent's blog. I hope that I didn't embarrass you all.

ps. ThimbleUnit really is a complete pussy; he runs away on twitter, too

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

jugheadnaut wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:

Gamergate actually revolves around Zoe Quinn, although it's expanded somewhat. Believe it or not, Quinn is much more odious than Sarkeesian.
I'll steer clear then (as much as I can considering people I follow tend to bring this stuff up). I'd rather be happy with seeing both men *and* women scantily clad in games and beating the ever-loving shit out of each other :D

sinister

Post by sinister »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Yeah, I've only been here for a week or two, but I couldn't stop myself from posting a "defense" of The Pit on Michael Nugent's blog. I hope that I didn't embarrass you all.

ps. ThimbleUnit really is a complete pussy; he runs away on twitter, too
I haven't been here long either and I still can't figure out if I find it complementary to be the bad guy in their world or if I should be upset that everyone seems to buy their bullshit. It's a strange balance to find. Sometimes it is hard to just shake my head and laugh when they are at their worst though.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Another lurker, my game collection expands, and yet another game will sink my steam game completion peecentage even lower. I won't ever be bored when I eventually retire though. I keep telling my wife we will retire to one of those swinger communities in FL and she can stay busy while steadily delcine into video game dimentia. That always gets a nice shudder out of her.

I also plan on being the Viagra kingpin, you have to have goals afterall.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Elderly!? She is 47 and reportedly Demi Moore sucks blood from her to maintain her looks.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /14989333/

zenbabe

Post by zenbabe »

Ape+lust wrote:
No, unfortunately I don't have any saved. A Google search of "Stangroom accommodationist turns up plenty of instances of prominent bloggers blowing their tops, including Ophelia ("It's a mistake to engage with these morons"). Stangroom used to collect his criticisms under under a no-longer-used tag, badnewatheists. It's only a year's worth of posts, but that year was 2011 and you can watch Elevatorgate blow up and his reaction (ridiculous piffle), then the presumable deflation of accommodationism as a hot topic as everyone goes to war over Rebecca.
You are a treasure :)
Wondering if what happened then had any influence on the pass that's been given to PZetal for the past couple of years.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Badger3k wrote:
Apples wrote: partly I think it's recognizable b/c the artist was working from this iconic and horrifying picture.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/ ... 34x498.jpg

once you see it, you can't unsee it.
That's hair! All this time, I thought it was some sort of head wrapping, like something out of the renaissance or some nuns habit thing. Before I knew it was hair, she does kind of look like some bizarre medieval or renaissance painting. Or maybe Picasso.

Or Geiger.
Geiger? Geiger doesn't count.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

sinister wrote:I also plan on being the Viagra kingpin, you have to have goals afterall.
I would warn you that your goal will be difficult to achieve, but, in truth, it will only be hard.

Percentage

Post by Percentage »

Haha, Peezer is now framing the deaths of white men as a potential "solution" to the problem of racism. I guess he just wants to burn those bridges as quickly as possible.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

sinister wrote:Another lurker, my game collection expands, and yet another game will sink my steam game completion peecentage even lower. I won't ever be bored when I eventually retire though. I keep telling my wife we will retire to one of those swinger communities in FL and she can stay busy while steadily delcine into video game dimentia. That always gets a nice shudder out of her.

You even got a free robe, for a game that you will probably never play!

sinister

Post by sinister »

Well Valenti's new brainfart is nice. I wish i could get a gig writing "women are greedy bitches" only to have the moderators clean the comments of women who are upset about being called bitches.

"You see ladies if you were less defensive less people would think you are bitches."

Seems legit.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Jan Steen - nice comments over at Nugent's, in several threads.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

another lurker wrote:
sinister wrote:Another lurker, my game collection expands, and yet another game will sink my steam game completion peecentage even lower. I won't ever be bored when I eventually retire though. I keep telling my wife we will retire to one of those swinger communities in FL and she can stay busy while steadily delcine into video game dimentia. That always gets a nice shudder out of her.

You even got a free robe, for a game that you will probably never play!

I should say, a free *wizard's* robe, just to make sure that everyone is suitably impressed.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

bhoytony wrote:
shermer1.jpg
:lol: :clap:

The thing is, this kind of satire would be very effective coming from the anti-Shermer brigades. It would have particular sting because it has an element of truth. But they're wrapped up in the 'Shermer is a rapist' narrative, where no humor is allowed. And because the evidence for Shermer being a rapist is so scant, the claim is easily discounted and Shermer will get through it basically unscathed in most people's eyes.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Dimentia. The appropriate spelling for whatever it is Ophie is suffering from.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

jugheadnaut wrote:

Dimentia. The appropriate spelling for whatever it is Ophie is suffering from.
Dementia across several dimensions.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

JacquesCuze wrote:Elderly!? She is 47 and reportedly Demi Moore sucks blood from her to maintain her looks.

You've got the wrong link there. The link is to the story Mykeru mentioned earlier.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

jugheadnaut wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:Elderly!? She is 47 and reportedly Demi Moore sucks blood from her to maintain her looks.

You've got the wrong link there. The link is to the story Mykeru mentioned earlier.
Dimentia.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

jugheadnaut wrote:

Yeah, Mykeru's elderly woman is 47.

Goddamnit so much.

Humphrey_Hedgehog

Post by Humphrey_Hedgehog »

jugheadnaut wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
I'll steer clear then (as much as I can considering people I follow tend to bring this stuff up). I'd rather be happy with seeing both men *and* women scantily clad in games and beating the ever-loving shit out of each other :D
#gamergate does not revolve around The Incredible Bullshitting Woman (or women if you include the other one). Mykeru gets it (obviously):
Mykeru wrote:

The thing about #gamergate, is that a lot of gamers are using a socially sanctioned, virtual way to play the part of adventurer, defender, avenger. The males who are into gaming do it because, well, that's really the only outlet in this day and age, aside from joining a controling organization like the police or the military. So it's not for nothing that a bunch of damsels invaded the gaming community attempting to co-opt what guys in gaming were trying to simulate: Defending them. That the plan unraveled shows just how piss poor these women and their male lapdogs are at actual manipulation. They are simulating as well: Since many of them can't actually play the part of a woman worth saving in real life, they have to play the game on the internet.

Players, playing gamers so they can game gamers playing. Oh my.
#gamergate came about because of an orchestrated attempt by the SJW lapdogs, that infest a number of influential game review websites, to do precisely what Myarse, Twatson et al did to the atheist community (basically, in the case of the gaming community, accusing every person that plays a video game of being white, male, living in a basement and breeding squirrels - OK, maybe not the last one).

Obviously this led to actual gamers being a little upset and pointing out that some of them didn't even have a basement, in some cases happen to be female and yes, some of them are actually black. I believe a few may even be black women. :o

I think the reasonable thing to do is simply to go to the source and then judge for yourself.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/gamergate?src=hash

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

JacquesCuze wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:

Yeah, Mykeru's elderly woman is 47.

Goddamnit so much.
Oh, sorry for misinterpreting. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but It's probably a good idea to use quotes when there are several active topics being juggled.

Avalyne

Post by Avalyne »

This just happened. Anyone surprised? *yawns*

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c144/ ... 3327b0.png

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Humphrey_Hedgehog wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
#gamergate does not revolve around The Incredible Bullshitting Woman (or women if you include the other one).
I was trying to think of the right way to phrase it. It's definitely bigger than Zoe Quinn. But she was the Big Bang event that got things going.

Tee hee, I made a double entendre. :)

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

jugheadnaut wrote: Oh, sorry for misinterpreting. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but It's probably a good idea to use quotes when there are several active topics being juggled.
(that was actually the joke.) (see I was so upset that ...)

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Humphrey_Hedgehog wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
#gamergate does not revolve around The Incredible Bullshitting Woman (or women if you include the other one). Mykeru gets it (obviously):
Mykeru wrote:

The thing about #gamergate, is that a lot of gamers are using a socially sanctioned, virtual way to play the part of adventurer, defender, avenger. The males who are into gaming do it because, well, that's really the only outlet in this day and age, aside from joining a controling organization like the police or the military. So it's not for nothing that a bunch of damsels invaded the gaming community attempting to co-opt what guys in gaming were trying to simulate: Defending them. That the plan unraveled shows just how piss poor these women and their male lapdogs are at actual manipulation. They are simulating as well: Since many of them can't actually play the part of a woman worth saving in real life, they have to play the game on the internet.

#gamergate came about because of an orchestrated attempt by the SJW lapdogs, that infest a number of influential game review websites, to do precisely what Myarse, Twatson et al did to the atheist community (basically, in the case of the gaming community, accusing every person that plays a video game of being white, male, living in a basement and breeding squirrels - OK, maybe not the last one).

Obviously this led to actual gamers being a little upset and pointing out that some of them didn't even have a basement, in some cases happen to be female and yes, some of them are actually black. I believe a few may even be black women. :o

I think the reasonable thing to do is simply to go to the source and then judge for yourself.

And I completely understand all of that. But the thing is, Sarkeesian has brought this crap out to public light (at least online). And she's the one sheep-minded idiots turn to. I get Mykeru, believe me. Been around him and chatted a bit with him over the past year-ish. My whole entire point is that it's a load of fucking rubbish. In the *ENTIRE* realm of video games, MEN AND WOMEN are sexualized. Narrow minded women like Sarkeesian think it *only* happens to women. But then she's not looking into games that put men in skimpy and sexual outfits, is she?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Humphrey_Hedgehog wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
ReneeHendricks wrote:
Mykeru wrote:

And I completely understand all of that. But the thing is, Sarkeesian has brought this crap out to public light (at least online). And she's the one sheep-minded idiots turn to. I get Mykeru, believe me. Been around him and chatted a bit with him over the past year-ish. My whole entire point is that it's a load of fucking rubbish. In the *ENTIRE* realm of video games, MEN AND WOMEN are sexualized. Narrow minded women like Sarkeesian think it *only* happens to women. But then she's not looking into games that put men in skimpy and sexual outfits, is she?

ReneeHendricks

Post by ReneeHendricks »

Shit, why did my post repeat itself?

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

JacquesCuze wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: Oh, sorry for misinterpreting. I'm not telling you anything you don't know, but It's probably a good idea to use quotes when there are several active topics being juggled.
(that was actually the joke.) (see I was so upset that ...)

Just accuse him of raep and get it over with.

sinister

Post by sinister »

I like in the comments of Valenti's articles "study" after "study" are talked about, but nary a one manages to get cited. I think this all goes back to the not a 101 level discussion bs. These people just "know" thesr studies exist becausr someone else in a "non 101 level" discussion brought it up. It's like feminism is creationism.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

jet_lagg wrote:
paddybrown wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: Generally when women drink significant amounts at parties, they have full knowledge of alcohol's effects and are doing it because of and not in spite of these effects. Just like men. They want a chance to let their hair down and let loose. They want excitement. They want an adventure.
Excellent post overall, but this bit... A couple of drinks loosens me up a bit, but if I get properly drunk I get really quiet, self-conscious and easily embarrassed. Alcohol's supposed to suppress your inhibitions. I figure I'm so inhibited naturally I've had to learn to suppress my inhibitions just to function. These days I'm quite sociable sober, but alcohol suppresses my ability to suppress my inhibitions. Or something. Anybody else like that, or am I totally bizarre?
You're totally bizarre. But then again, we all necessarily are in some fashion or another. The closest thing I can think of to what you're saying is what happens if I smoke weed but nobody else does (which rarely happens, but not never). I realize my mind has been compromised and I must seem very foolish to the people around me, so I'm very careful with my actions and words. I tend to double and triple check everything before allowing it out of the gate, so to speak.
paddybrown, your experience isn't bizarre. Alcohol typically depresses inhibitions early on, then depresses brain functions more broadly as the blood alcohol level (or, more to the point, the brain alcohol level) rises, leading to coma & cessation of respiration if the level rises far enough, fast enough. Alcohol has a widespread & relatively global effect on the brain but there is variability between people depending on all sorts of factors, both situational and those intrinsic to the person's genetic & neurochemical makeup. For you, the relative depression of different (handwaving here) area(s) of the brain that make your experience a bit different from many people - but that in itself is not that unusual.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

In the *ENTIRE* realm of video games, MEN AND WOMEN are sexualized. Narrow minded women like Sarkeesian think it *only* happens to women. But then she's not looking into games that put men in skimpy and sexual outfits, is she?
Sarkeesian is trying to do more than just pointing out sexual imagery in video games. If she simply complained about how sexualized female video game characters are, people wouldn't have cared about her opinion and would have called a bigot straight away. What really gets people's attention, and what really pisses off gamers, is that she's arguing that games are actively dangerous to women, that they're designed to arouse people through a "perverse mix of sex and violence".

She doesn't seem to notice (or more probably she pretends not to notice) that if games were really dangerous they'd be far more dangerous to men than women, given the impressive amount of ways you can get away with if you want to show how to kill a male character.

The claim that video games turn you into a potential murderer is ignored and laughed off by most of people in the medias. But when Sarkeesian claim that video game turn you into a potential rapist, influential people (including the likes of Joss Whedon) lap it up and parrot her views everywhere.