Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by comhcinc »

So yeah sometimes I feel I may be treating the likes of Watson and such unfairly. Then I watched her lasted video were she attacks gamergate and notyourshield, while I was taking a shit. She is ether lying or refuses to do any research past her own beliefs. So yeah fuck her.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jugheadnaut wrote: Surely she knows by now that MRA's who spend their social media time complaining about how nasty the wimminses are love using anime avatars for some reason.
The avatar is Vidya James. Here is a horribly biased article about her

http://www.vice.com/read/meet-the-femal ... inists-828

Vivian James is the fictional everywoman of gaming. She wears a striped hoodie and drinks Mountain Dew Throwback. Her name is a play on “vidya games.” She’s a regular person who wears jeans and spends too much time on the internet. And she was created out of spite by the historically anti-feminist gamers of 4chan.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

A few years ago Melody Hensley was the events organizer for the Washington branch of the CFI.

Now she is the executive director.

During the intervening years she has, according to her own account, spent most of the time in bed (suffering from twitter PTSD.)

I've heard of 'sleeping your way to the top', but this is ridiculous!

:rimshot:

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Za-zen wrote:Smellody wants boghossian shunned by atheist/humanist orgs for the crime of thinking she's a delusional self indulgent twat.

She is the most special wecial person in the wovement, put on your shiny armour and defend her honour orgs of secularism. (Check twatter for details)

Boghossian has tweeted he's done with the indulgence of children at CFI, and therefore is done with CFI. Ron Lindsay, what type of clown circus have you created you dingbat.
Surely Lindsay has the legal right to tell Hensley that the opinions and drama on her Twitter account are highly divisive to CFI's target community and she's damaging the CFI brand and needs to stop. I don't think free speech rights are a factor here. Her choice would be to stop what she's been doing or continue as an ex-CFI employee. If he had a paper trail on this, I would think CFI's legal liabilities would be small.

So why hasn't Lindsay done this? Yes, she can run crying to her friends and CFI will get negative attention from the baboons for a while. But they still have Fidalgo and can probably find some additional way to placate them. Surely that would be better than the current situation continuing. Or maybe I need to be careful what I wish for ("and we're proud to introduce our new CFI DC Executive Director: Rebec...").

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

UncaYimmy wrote:Truth is, Smith should have been fired even without the sex. She had a business relationship with Shermer. Getting that shit-faced with him
That would kill a lot of post work happy hours. Many coworkers go out and get shit faced after work. And when it comes to sales? It is not at all unusual for sales people to take clients out for dinner and drinks, or hell even strip clubs depending on the nature of the client.
UncaYimmy wrote:and even allowing him to bring her to her hotel room rather than his (had it going according to plan) is unprofessional.
Um, walking someone back to their hotel room alone should not be an issue. Going for a romp in the hay, well that is up for the business to decide if that is an issue or not. Probably not a smart idea of the people doing the sexing are in charge or arranging who to line up for speakers.
UncaYimmy wrote:Get that shit-faced at an event like that at all is unacceptable. The JREF staff all needed to stay sober because they were all on call for the whole event.
In the world of non-profits, pay isn't typically that great. Being able to do a major party once a year might be considered one of the fringe benefits that allows them to higher better people at lower pay. This isn't exactly a fortune 500 company here. As far as getting shit faced, so long as they do their job, I don't see that as a problem.
UncaYimmy wrote:On-call for what, you ask? Like responding to an attendee who got sexually assaulted.
Webb evidently was sober enough to drive & he was the GM. You don't need all staff to be wound up tight the whole time. You just need a few key people.

When I ran major volunteer operations (not paid) of 150-250 people, I wouldn't drink until all of the volunteer's work was done. Then I would kick back and enjoy the after parties. I stayed 100% sober before then, because I was responsible for people who were still working for me.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

FlyingV wrote:It's funny that the timing of the "I'm not saying which skeptic is a sleezebag, but there is one, and he's important" all started coming out around the same time, and Alison partook....years after they slept together. I suspect that this is groupthink in action.
Mr. Web corroborated that Alison called it rape after the incident, which was well before all this drama. I can't call that group think.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

didymos wrote:Am I the only person here who doesn't give a fuck about Shermer?
Still somewhat interesting. But the SJWers have kind of desensitized my ability to care. It may boil down to a he-said-she-said thing at this point 6 years later. Or we may be able to glean a little more information out of the situation to suggest that one scenario is more likely than the other. Bottom line though is that the court of public opinion pales in comparison to a police investigation with all of the authority that entails and a court trial.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

deLurch wrote:
FlyingV wrote:It's funny that the timing of the "I'm not saying which skeptic is a sleezebag, but there is one, and he's important" all started coming out around the same time, and Alison partook....years after they slept together. I suspect that this is groupthink in action.
Mr. Web corroborated that Alison called it rape after the incident, which was well before all this drama. I can't call that group think.
Mr Web?

I thought it was Wagg?

And does anyone know for sure that he was her boyfriend at the time?
I thought he was married with kids.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:
dogen wrote:
Tony, when thanked by the barmaid for said pussy-gush, I hope you replied "It was my privilege".
I would have done if it had happened anywhere other than in James's head.
Hey, Parsehole, have you still got the text for that skit you did that's being referred to here? I know you do, you and Mykerus have folders called "My awesome Pit posts", in which you store screenshots of everything you've written here, and any approving comments.

I wanna read it again now, funny as fuck.
This one?
viewtopic.php?p=214202#p214202
Like most of my etchings I thought it went down like a lead balloon. Glad to know it got some love.

DeepInsideYourMind

Post by DeepInsideYourMind »

jugheadnaut wrote: However...I wouldn't call telling someone they don't have any rights to talk about ethics in anything "measured and reasonable". It's actually a pretty scurrilous insult. Watson may be a self-entitled drama queen, but on matters of ethics I think any violations she's made are small potatoes. Compared to Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, she's Snow White. She had cause to snark back. She should have been cleverer about it though, like virgin shaming him by claiming his handle should be NoTitsStillWorkingOnIt.
It's as valid a personal opinion as any of Watson's ... it doesn't use profanity or abusive language ... it states an opinion, quite politely and firmly.

And her 'ethics' are totally lacking, morally bankrupt would be a measured term for her recent public behaviour.

DeepInsideYourMind

Dick Strawkins wrote:I've heard of 'sleeping your way to the top', but this is ridiculous!

QFTW :clap:

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jugheadnaut wrote: And the fact his twitter handle is NoTitsStilHuman definitively excludes the possibility he wants people to think the account is female.
I'll do a ninja inoculation and concede my comment was transphobic. But you know what, McGabriel, VanguardVivian, and whatever else BlockBot detritus may be reading this? I don't give a shit. Now if I ever get a Twitter account you can put me on level 1. It will be a badge of honor.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote:
deLurch wrote:
Sulman wrote:Whoever mentioned the Iron Pill, thank you. I don't think I have laughed this hard in a long time.
I still can't determine if it is someone ripping on the Red Pill crew, someone really into the Red Pill shit. Or someone who has been exposed to the material and is just having a laugh in both directions.
I think someone is having a laugh in all possible directions.

You don't write a line like "glutes for the slootz" if you 100% believe in this ideology. :lol:
Agreed. Definitely a dig at radical SJWism, weird German folk nationalism and bro/bodybuilding culture.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ByXCIVMIMAAduFQ.png
Brilliant.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

No, I'm right there with you.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote: However...I wouldn't call telling someone they don't have any rights to talk about ethics in anything "measured and reasonable". It's actually a pretty scurrilous insult. Watson may be a self-entitled drama queen, but on matters of ethics I think any violations she's made are small potatoes. Compared to Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian, she's Snow White. She had cause to snark back. She should have been cleverer about it though, like virgin shaming him by claiming his handle should be NoTitsStillWorkingOnIt.
It's as valid a personal opinion as any of Watson's ... it doesn't use profanity or abusive language ... it states an opinion, quite politely and firmly.

And her 'ethics' are totally lacking, morally bankrupt would be a measured term for her recent public behaviour.
It's 'valid' only in the sense he has the right to have it. The fact profanity or abusive language wasn't used doesn't make it polite. Saying someone has no ethics is a serious insult if it's to be taken seriously. 200 years ago, a person could be killed for making this claim and his killer excused for cause.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one, I'm not going to go back and forth on it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

http://i.imgur.com/ivtvzit.jpg

That party site looks like a standard room not a suite with separate lounge. I'm thinking a max of 20 people at any one time.

I don't see where the bathroom sex offer had room to manoeuvre? But that guy on the bed. He looks like he has dread locks. NAME and SHAME.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Dick Strawkins wrote:Mr Web?

I thought it was Wagg?
You are correct. I am just not caring that much anymore.
Dick Strawkins wrote:And does anyone know for sure that he was her boyfriend at the time?
I thought he was married with kids.
I wonder about the boyfriend thing too. Because his behavior after the event doesn't sound like any boyfriend I can think of.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
No, I'm right there with you.
I get the gist of the story but I got lost at the wheelchair and Alice in Wonderland.
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/a ... 498930.jpg

DeepInsideYourMind

jugheadnaut wrote: I think we can agree to disagree on this one, I'm not going to go back and forth on it.
So, you can't express an opinion that casts an aspersion on the character, morals or ethics of the person you are commenting on or to?

Welcome to censorship 101, this is your basic primer in how to tell people to shut up and listen. This is exactly what Watson and FtB have been trying to push for years. Can't say anything that might upset or annoy someone, or dent their fee fees. That right their is their lack of ethics.

If you put something in the public arena, you should be prepared for it to criticised, ridiculed, and generally be open to public comment, opinion, and discourse of all types. But then Watson knows that full well, and was exactly what she wanted and angled for - hence my original comments - she is a troll of the highest hypocritical level.

Or put another way, she chose to be offended, I think Hitchens had something to say on this ...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

comhcinc wrote:Here is a early look at what will be blogged about incessantly tomorrow.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/24/justice/w ... index.html

:popcorn: :popcorn:
Well yes, the outrage would be completely justified on that one.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Brive1987 wrote:http://i.imgur.com/ivtvzit.jpg

That party site looks like a standard room not a suite with separate lounge. I'm thinking a max of 20 people at any one time.

I don't see where the bathroom sex offer had room to manoeuvre? But that guy on the bed. He looks like he has dread locks. NAME and SHAME.
I know a party is going to be OFF THE FUCKING WALL when all the booze is facing the same way in ascending order of height.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

This tale of social justice needs some signal boosting :)

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Is this the famous 'whiskey and cigar party' that Rebecca Watson was supposed to have ditched the skepchick party for (which was happening in another room) at that TAM?

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jugheadnaut wrote: I think we can agree to disagree on this one, I'm not going to go back and forth on it.
So, you can't express an opinion that casts an aspersion on the character, morals or ethics of the person you are commenting on or to?
Short of libel or slander, you can. And that person has every right to respond in kind.
DeepInsideYourMind wrote: Welcome to censorship 101, this is your basic primer in how to tell people to shut up and listen. This is exactly what Watson and FtB have been trying to push for years. Can't say anything that might upset or annoy someone, or dent their fee fees. That right their is their lack of ethics.
It's only censorship 101 at the University of We Don't Know the Meaning of Words. This has nothing to do with censorship.
DeepInsideYourMind wrote: If you put something in the public arena, you should be prepared for it to criticised, ridiculed, and generally be open to public comment, opinion, and discourse of all types. But then Watson knows that full well, and was exactly what she wanted and angled for - hence my original comments - she is a troll of the highest hypocritical level.
OK, NoTitsStilHuman put out the idea that Watson has no ethics. Watson ridiculed him (poorly). And you have an issue with that that doesn't require double standards?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

TiBo wrote: This tale of social justice needs some signal boosting :)
Well, that escalated quickly.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Benson solidifies her TERF cred by posting a cartoon from a pretty vile TERF site:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... need-this/

Her commenters are slowly getting outraged. My prediction is she'll pull it eventually.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

TiBo wrote: If you think that's unfair, complain to them - which you know you can't, because you don't have a death wish.
There is no one to complain to because I am literally living in a bubble. There is a guy from Iraq living in my neighbourhood part of the year and the rest of the time he is South America so I hardly ever see him and the last thing he ever wants to do is talk about any religion.

But like I mentioned before? This is a suburban neighbourhood plopped down in a rural area. There is a single streetlight at one intersection and that is it.

I stopped locking my car three years ago, and around a year ago I stopped locking my front door and, around the same time I stopped bothering to bring my laptop inside because that is how my neighbours live.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
comhcinc wrote:Here is a early look at what will be blogged about incessantly tomorrow.

It is, but it should be kept in context also. In the criminal case, the rapist was convicted and there was no victim blaming. The victim blaming is in the initial response to a lawsuit filed against the state by the victim. Some idiot lawyer in the state AG office decided to go for the 'throw a plate of spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks' approach before the trial begins, and the actual AG has disavowed it. There should be repercussions, but no, this is not evidence of rape culture.

DeepInsideYourMind

jugheadnaut wrote: Short of libel or slander, you can. And that person has every right to respond in kind.
She didn't respond in kind.

"You are in no position to lecture on ethics" is an opinion

"You are a sockpuppet, teenage, boy" is an ad hom attack, based on no evidence (which a statement of fact needs to be)
jugheadnaut wrote: OK, NoTitsStilHuman put out the idea that Watson has no ethics. Watson ridiculed him (poorly). And you have an issue with that that doesn't require double standards?
Ridicule? Or ad hom? Is either appropriate as a response to a critique of your work? Should we now applaud "Dawkins is a cishet white male and should shut up" as a valid response to his comments on SJWs?

I have an issue with your defence of "shaming" ... you think a legitimate defence to "I think you are the last person to be commenting on ethics" is "youre a pathetic whiny teenager and should shut up and listen"

Good grief, you've gone full SJW! That's almost worth of a Melody or an Oaphie!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dick Strawkins wrote:

Is this the famous 'whiskey and cigar party' that Rebecca Watson was supposed to have ditched the skepchick party for (which was happening in another room) at that TAM?
Party thy name be legion.

There is a JREF thread just for the organising of the infamous party h/t Damion. RemieV makes an appearance asking whether it's ok to be the token girl. Which makes it less likely Shermer egged her into it per Buzz. #hardatwork with the delegates.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=113875

It would appear to be a rolling affair, but the Skepchicks one was a couple of days later.

http://i.imgur.com/yIOLh7Q.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

jugheadnaut wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

It is, but it should be kept in context also. In the criminal case, the rapist was convicted and there was no victim blaming. The victim blaming is in the initial response to a lawsuit filed against the state by the victim. Some idiot lawyer in the state AG office decided to go for the 'throw a plate of spaghetti against the wall and see what sticks' approach before the trial begins, and the actual AG has disavowed it. There should be repercussions, but no, this is not evidence of rape culture.
I didn't say it was. It is however, outrageous to even think about using that defense.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
I like the tweeted response to the image right below it from @Sin: That image is silly. There are no black people is(n) SJW circles.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

SOCJUS sounds like something a poor french beggar might whip up that would still be much tastier than the dog food I spill out of my Campbells.

But honestly, tonight being Rosh Hashanah, I'm not sure I can get behind SOCJUS.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

jugheadnaut wrote: Short of libel or slander, you can. And that person has every right to respond in kind.
She didn't respond in kind.

"You are in no position to lecture on ethics" is an opinion

"You are a sockpuppet, teenage, boy" is an ad hom attack, based on no evidence (which a statement of fact needs to be)
So when you insult someone, I guess you can always say "Don't be offended. It was just an opinion." All she did was respond to an insult with snark.

But, I'll let someone else tackle the rest of your nonsense if they choose. But before I close my side of this thread, let me say this. I believe you are either drunk or the most dimwitted person I've encountered on the Pit so far. Don't be offended. It was just an opinion.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

It's not an insult if it's true. Watson has no ethics.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
jugheadnaut wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I didn't say it was. It is however, outrageous to even think about using that defense.
I wasn't disagreeing with you at all, Phil. I was just providing some details for those that didn't want to read the sloppily written linked story.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It's not an insult if it's true. Watson has no ethics.
Have you woken happy or still islamaphobic? :mrgreen:

Just FYI Australia is also labouring under a "kill innocent people everywhere" fatwa. A couple of police "copped" it yesterday.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/one-d ... 3gfsr.html

Not a problem I recall from my youth.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Brive1987 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It's not an insult if it's true. Watson has no ethics.
Have you woken happy or still islamaphobic? :mrgreen:

Just FYI Australia is also labouring under a "kill innocent people everywhere" fatwa. A couple of police "copped" it yesterday.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/one-d ... 3gfsr.html

Not a problem I recall from my youth.
Yeah, I've seen they've also called a fatwa on Canada. Canada, for fuck's sake!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Here's where this ISIS bullshit touches a bit too close to home. The guy from nice who was beheaded yesterday was a mountain guide that some of my friends have climbed with. A very good guy, from all accounts. These dogs don't give a fuck who they kill, as long as they kill. I dare say I will fuck things up for anyone daring to call them freedom fighters at this point. My friends who knew the man are devastated.

Plus, within the last two months, at least three teenage girls (yes, girls!) have been stopped in extremis at Nice airport after being recruited by some jihadists to fly to Syria via Turkey and go kill the infidels. Just teenage girls who grew up in nice, not far from where I live.

So yeah, still islamophobic. Even more so, I'd say.

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

The new star of the Social Justice League is one Libby Anne who tends a blog at Patheos called “Love, Joy, Feminism.”. The name is very good, by comparison to what is to come. People at Michael Nugents place have suggested two articles by her, then Adam Lee, someone on Sam Harris' twitter feed and now Ophelia Benson via Dana Hunter also fall over each other with praise.

Is Sam Harris Sexist? and Do They Care about Women, or Simply Bashing Religion?

I already picked it partially apart on Michalel Nugents site, but am now quite amazed that these are recommended at all. If I didn't knew better, I would think someone's trolling. Both headlines already put Zvan to shame. And inside is a fully blown non sequitur carnival, where nothing makes sense and all kinds of issues are simply thrown into the same grinder.

Can you make out whether psychological differences between men/women exist according to her, and whether believing this is sexist? She argues both ways, in best double-think manner. Nevermind that scientific questions are now completely in the realm of ideology. The second article likewise utter bollocks and the gist is that Coyne, Harris, Dawkins etc. should care about women outside of religion bashing (i.e.atheism) or else. Nevermind that she gone full Rogue Gallery and simply combines whatever issue crosses her mind at the time she wrote down the sentence, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Never was it more obvious why these people give praise for this: here is a seemingly independent woman who claims to be outside of the atheist movement due to its alleged sexism problem. She mentions the correct regurgitaged phrases, and it is aimed at the correct side, even though its complete whargarble that is not even wrong. And it comes in a time when they feel especially under siege and can use every help they can get.

What is so damning is that people in the “movement” are down to such a level. This is unsalvageable. We would instantly look smart when Ray Comfort became an atheist tomorrow by now. I genuinely wonder why not more people object to such blatant unmitigated horseshit — is she deemed too unimportant? Are people afraid or intimidated because too harsh words could be perceived as harassment? Do people even think they better not engage because it only looks good on her CV and boosts her status (like streisand effect)? Is everyone just cynical and uses it fully knowing its complete drivel? I just don't get it. (yay quotemine that)

Also:
Libby Anne wrote:Please stop essentializing me.
:dance:

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

Lsuoma wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Tapir wrote:Well that's annoying.

I just checked and it turns out I don't remember Wolf 359 from playing Elite on my Speccy. It was in the sequel.
False memories.

You probably raped a load of girls when you were twelve.
Wolf 359 is mentioned in the "Cities in Flight" books by James Blish, predating its appearance in Star Trek or the sequel to Elite. It first appears in "Earthman, Come Home" in 1955.
It was also an in an Outer Limits episode, but that was after 1955 (1964). Wikipedia has its discovery in 1917 (roughly - I assume that it was discovered and measured at the same time, could be a bad assumption).
Wolf 359 first came to the attention of astronomers because of the relatively high rate of transverse motion against the background, known as the proper motion. A high rate of proper motion can indicate that a star is located nearby, as more distant stars must move at higher velocities in order to achieve the same rate of angular travel across the celestial sphere. The proper motion of Wolf 359 was first measured in 1917 by German astronomer Max Wolf, with the aid of astrophotography. In 1919 he published a catalog of over one thousand stars with high proper motions, including this one, that are still identified by his name.[14] He listed this star as entry number 359, and the star has since been referred to as Wolf 359 in reference to Max Wolf's catalogue.[15]

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Za-zen wrote:Smellody wants boghossian shunned by atheist/humanist orgs for the crime of thinking she's a delusional self indulgent twat.

She is the most special wecial person in the wovement, put on your shiny armour and defend her honour orgs of secularism. (Check twatter for details)

Boghossian has tweeted he's done with the indulgence of children at CFI, and therefore is done with CFI. Ron Lindsay, what type of clown circus have you created you dingbat.
Surely Lindsay has the legal right to tell Hensley that the opinions and drama on her Twitter account are highly divisive to CFI's target community and she's damaging the CFI brand and needs to stop. I don't think free speech rights are a factor here. Her choice would be to stop what she's been doing or continue as an ex-CFI employee. If he had a paper trail on this, I would think CFI's legal liabilities would be small.
It's well established, at least in the US, that you really have no 'free speech' rights (or privacy rights on company equipment/spaces) when it comes to your employer and you can be fired for the stupid shit you say and do when at work. And since Twitter time-stamps and Hensley can go all day in some idiotic Twitter-rage she's probably set herself up for a firing.

And, honestly, if I was head of CFI, she'd be on her ass tomorrow.
So why hasn't Lindsay done this? Yes, she can run crying to her friends and CFI will get negative attention from the baboons for a while. But they still have Fidalgo and can probably find some additional way to placate them. Surely that would be better than the current situation continuing. Or maybe I need to be careful what I wish for ("and we're proud to introduce our new CFI DC Executive Director: Rebec...").
Because they're cowards and fools.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Howdy,

It's been hard yakka keeping up with you lot.

Someone asked Phil Rock God earlier about groupies. I was surprised to hear he didn't go for them.

I don't mean this to sound like bragging but I used to be involved in the Sydney Rock scene as a drummer of various bands during the 80's and early 90's. Bands of some note in the underground scene.

In early '89, during rehearsals, the two guitarists were cracking jokes about drummers, as you do, adding how we are invisible and unknown and unwanted. Well, them is fighting words so I offered the guitarist a challenge on how many groupie women we can notch up in 12 months.

Yes... I know it's dickwad thing to get into and we did stipulate some rules of an ethical nature of which I can elaborate on if you need to know.

I'm cringing as I write this as the year has become a bit of a "lost" year for me for which I have learnt a lot about all sorts of things.

I'm just setting up some credentials here so...whatever you wanted to ask Phil you can ask me.

BTW... I'm still learning the guitar and I have improved heaps since I last brought up the subject and sent the pit into meltdown about thumb over neck. I used the thumb over neck to mute the "E" string. It's important to get technique right. Bought my first effects pedal yesterday....

If groupie questions are related to the Shermer thing. Yes... I can see a few things there that smacks of groupie interplay and some of the problems that can result from really bad or dishonest communication.

Further... I don't know if the Wagg or the people organising the event have anything to worry about. I'm sure the listed time of when the talks finish are clear and anything that happens after that like Private parties, meet-ups at bars, hotel rooms etc are clock-off time. Unless the event was sanctioned by the organisers...of which I have not seen any evidence of that.

Over to you

AnonymousCowherd

Post by AnonymousCowherd »

JacquesCuze wrote:SOCJUS sounds like something a poor french beggar might whip up that would still be much tastier than the dog food I spill out of my Campbells.

But honestly, tonight being Rosh Hashanah, I'm not sure I can get behind SOCJUS.
Shanah Tovah!

Kenteken

Post by Kenteken »

deLurch wrote:Just for kicks, here are the effects at various levels of BAC.
http://www.brad21.org/effects_at_specific_bac.html
<knipperdeknip>

0.20 BAC: Felling dazed, confused or otherwise disoriented. May need help to stand or walk. If you injure yourself you may not feel the pain. Some people experience nausea and vomiting at this level. The gag reflex is impaired and you can choke if you do vomit. Blackouts are likely at this level so you may not remember what has happened.
And here is a BAC chart for women.
http://i.imgur.com/h6XrFDQ.png

So, would it be possible to do a kind of back-of-the-envelope type estimate to see about where she was at certain times of the night based on described behavior?
Just focusing on her elevator experience, I think the 0.20 BAC describes her behavior very well.

So couldn't the silver lining be; that her legs gave out at that particular moment in time and not -say 5 minutes later- while crossing the strip?

Donar only knows what could have happened with her.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Aneris wrote:The new star of the Social Justice League is one Libby Anne who tends a blog at Patheos called “Love, Joy, Feminism.”. The name is very good, by comparison to what is to come. People at Michael Nugents place have suggested two articles by her, then Adam Lee, someone on Sam Harris' twitter feed and now Ophelia Benson via Dana Hunter also fall over each other with praise.

Is Sam Harris Sexist? and Do They Care about Women, or Simply Bashing Religion?

I already picked it partially apart on Michalel Nugents site, but am now quite amazed that these are recommended at all. If I didn't knew better, I would think someone's trolling. Both headlines already put Zvan to shame. And inside is a fully blown non sequitur carnival, where nothing makes sense and all kinds of issues are simply thrown into the same grinder.

Can you make out whether psychological differences between men/women exist according to her, and whether believing this is sexist? She argues both ways, in best double-think manner. Nevermind that scientific questions are now completely in the realm of ideology. The second article likewise utter bollocks and the gist is that Coyne, Harris, Dawkins etc. should care about women outside of religion bashing (i.e.atheism) or else. Nevermind that she gone full Rogue Gallery and simply combines whatever issue crosses her mind at the time she wrote down the sentence, with no apparent rhyme or reason.

Never was it more obvious why these people give praise for this: here is a seemingly independent woman who claims to be outside of the atheist movement due to its alleged sexism problem. She mentions the correct regurgitaged phrases, and it is aimed at the correct side, even though its complete whargarble that is not even wrong. And it comes in a time when they feel especially under siege and can use every help they can get.

What is so damning is that people in the “movement” are down to such a level. This is unsalvageable. We would instantly look smart when Ray Comfort became an atheist tomorrow by now. I genuinely wonder why not more people object to such blatant unmitigated horseshit — is she deemed too unimportant? Are people afraid or intimidated because too harsh words could be perceived as harassment? Do people even think they better not engage because it only looks good on her CV and boosts her status (like streisand effect)? Is everyone just cynical and uses it fully knowing its complete drivel? I just don't get it. (yay quotemine that)

Also:
Libby Anne wrote:Please stop essentializing me.
:dance:
I read those two posts too and had about the same reaction. Was going to enact the labor to respond but then decided it was futile. That's starting to be my default reflex. When people are that tied to ideology, there is no reasoning with them.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

I hope this is the start (or continuation) of famous atheists shunning CFI.

As for me, well, I'll never give them a dime or attend any of their meetings, for which they were be exceedingly grateful.

The irony is that if we remove all the non-SJW men from CFI gatherings, I'd be willing to bet the rates of male-on-female "rapes" will go way up.

Hugo Schwyzer anyone? What kind of man becomes an SJW? Hmmm, maybe the same type of man who has sexual fantasies about his students as mermaids. :lol:

James Caruthers

jugheadnaut wrote:

Lindsay is a toilet slave, brah.

The SJWs don't even seem to like him much. He keeps coming up as witch of the week on their blogs.

Guess he must get off on being abused. Not judging, that's just not one of my interests. Hensley probably keeps in him a gimp suit and lets him out for air when it's time for his monthly caning for not shunning *insert name of famous atheist* sufficiently.

Verklagekasper

Post by Verklagekasper »

"Wolf 359" was a battle in TNG: "The Best of Both Worlds". That sounds like a suitable motto for the actions of Wagg and Smith, because they want to have it both ways: get Shermer shunned AND get out of this as flawless examples of virtue. This also appears to be the reason why it took Smith years to report. After all, she explained her priorities in 2011:
"I'd really prefer not to turn around and see an article about myself posted somewhere where I can't stop it. I do have a life outside of this forum, after all.
So while it might be exceedingly important to me to warn women who plan to attend events "Hey, this community is not any safer than any other just because they're skeptics," it just ain't THIS important. Sorry."
http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=410

So back in 2011, warning women just wasn't THIS important to her if it implied some gospel about herself. Fair enough. Then, in December 2012, Rebecca Watson started the "drunk sex = rape" gospel ( which possibly changed the game. In the June 2013 atmosphere of rape hysteria and people screaming that drunk sex was rape and that one should never question but "always believe the victim", it certainly seemed likely that some aspects would be put under the rug. Aspects like her choice to get shitfaced on an event she organized, her choice to follow Shermer in his room, hers and Wagg's choice to put the incident under the rug for years.

Immanuel K

Post by Immanuel K »

There´s this porn flick out says the murmur
About an alleged legendary TAM-spermer
Starring a white völkisch wagon, and a tailgating dragon
Title´s: " Allison VS. the Shermer

http://joshfinney.com/wp-content/upload ... noogin.gif

Kenteken

Post by Kenteken »

DeepInsideYourMind wrote:Darn silly buttons - how do they work

What the actual fuck ... I honestly find myself laughing out loud at the baboons ...

Watson posts a thoroughly Watson kind of video discussing #gamergate, distinctly lacking evidence or well thought out opinions ... a few responses including:
To which she immediately replies:
Apparently the response to a fairly measured and quite reasonable opinion is ... accuse the person of being a sockpuppet, a teenager, and a boy ... based on literally no evidence ....

The irony always gets me ... I couldn't be her and keep a straight face ... I think she must tweet something then fall on the floor laughing "OMFG seriously, I said that, I am such a fucking moron, fuck, wait, I can say something dumber, fuck no I cant, and still the baboons will swallow it up"
Funny, her response proves his point.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
TiBo wrote: This tale of social justice needs some signal boosting :)
Well, that escalated quickly.
Wow does Melody actually think she gets to say who gets kicked out of humanism? Well I think the mystery is solved. Melody doesn't have PTSD she has delusions of grandeur.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Pagancat:
That's the source of the trauma. People are denying her delusion.
IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:

I am not making any moral judgements on this one. Just came across the story, which honestly is a small matter that in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter at all, and was like yep this is going to be brought up. A lot.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

LurkerPerson wrote:
Mykeru, since you have some experience with casino's, is it actually possible that they still have a backup tape of that night's security cams still saved up in basement somewhere? How would one go about getting your hands on one, if so? I don't mean anything shady, literally just saying "Hello, I'm an internet journalist (i.e blogger, but that sounds much better) with *********," explain the whole Shermer/Smith fiasco briefly then ask them to possibly review the tape at that date/hour and come back with their findings?
I wasn't in security, so I'm just aware of video surveillance where it intersected with my job on the floor, in the main cage and in "the annex" where they kept the rolled and canned change and where booth deposits were left.

Once, while in the main case I made a $100 mistake. Which is a bitch when you count through a $100,000 bank and you can't find it. The overhead camera was reviewed and, as best anyone could figure out, two very crisp hundreds stuck together. But they were alerted to review immediately.

I do know that security keeps selections for tapes when liability is an issue, for criminal investigations, or for training purposes. Usually they are contacted to review tapes within a few days in a liability claim and maybe a month or so for investigations, and so they may be kept that long. Plus you have the added problem that many security cameras that are not fixed on particular doors and table games often cycle or pan. Perhaps if someone noticed something array they saved it, but, honestly, drunks in elevators may not make the cut. But I seriously doubt there's a vast warehouse in the desert where casinos keep all the tapes from all the cameras for all the hours that make up the years. Even digital storage would be overwhelmed by hundreds of cameras recording continuously 24/7.

So, the answer is, I don't know, but I doubt it.

Which brings us back to the issue of why no one alerted the authorities. If that was done, and a rape was claimed, you can bet your ass the security footage would have been gone over and saved.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Pagancat wrote:
Wow does Melody actually think she gets to say who gets kicked out of humanism? Well I think the mystery is solved. Melody doesn't have PTSD she has delusions of grandeur.
I like being in the humanist movement, but if she wants to kick me out fuck it. I always wanted to be a cyborg anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/zhCwPGl.jpg

A sexy cyborg.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

From the mouths of babes.

http://i.imgur.com/r7rK8Ng.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

I love it when it takes FTBers 3 days to figure out a point the Pit has been making all along. We were cool before it was cool.

James Caruthers

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I love it when it takes FTBers 3 days to figure out a point the Pit has been making all along. We were cool rapists before it was cool.
FTFY, mssr shitlord.