Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Avalyne

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Avalyne »

Just a little late night (in the U.S.--sorry if I'm being continent-ist) humor to keep the mood bright. Oh, and, has someone already asked Concentrated H20 if his avatar is PZ demonstrating "Hands up. Don't shoot?" Very disappointing. I've searched and searched for the cock in the pic, but all I can find is... well...

[youtube]e3h6es6zh1c[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

AndrewV69 wrote: Apparently what happened was that two vertabre were out of alignment, causing a bulge on the disk which compressed the nerve. All he did was a realignment which literally took seconds and instant relief.

In time the bulge in the disk subsided relieving the presssure on the nerve. It took awhile for the nerve to recover ... a lot longer than the disk did in fact.
1) Define 'out of alignment';
2) How did your chiropractor determine: a) the nerve was compressed ; b) the disc was bulging; c) the vertebrae were out of alignment?
3) What evidence was, or in theory could be, provided to show the before & after positions of the vertebrae?
4) How would one falsify the claim that the misaligned vertebrae caused the bulging disc which compressed the nerve?
5) Which nerve was compressed?
6) What medical training does your chiropractor possess?

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: Apparently what happened was that two vertabre were out of alignment, causing a bulge on the disk which compressed the nerve. All he did was a realignment which literally took seconds and instant relief.

In time the bulge in the disk subsided relieving the presssure on the nerve. It took awhile for the nerve to recover ... a lot longer than the disk did in fact.
2) How did your chiropractor determine: a) the nerve was compressed ; b) the disc was bulging; c) the vertebrae were out of alignment?
3) What evidence was, or in theory could be, provided to show the before & after positions of the vertebrae?
4) How would one falsify the claim that the misaligned vertebrae caused the bulging disc which compressed the nerve?
May I step in here to answer for Andrew?

1) If I run my fingers thuswise along your vertebrae, out of sight of you, I can create the illusion that there is a distortion from perfect straightness within your spine, and I can tell you that this is definitely a problem.

2) a) you have back pain; b) this can be a cause of back pain; c) see 1).

3) Apart from taking my word for it, I will take some cheapass X-rays showing your spine, and will then draw on them the lines of spinal alignment which I wish you to believe exist. I will do so in a quick and confident way, ignoring your stuttering interjections so that you can not ask questions which would embarrass me.

4) Why would you want to? I have shown you the scientific proof of an X-ray, which clearly shows misalignment and, if you look closely here, a bulging disc.

5) The compressed nerve was one which communicates between the spinal colum and the body. The pain you are experiencing indicates that you have compression of the specific nerve which we saw was compressed by a bulging disc on the X-ray.

6) That'll be $350 please, which the fucking idiots who regulate health insurance say can be assigned as a genuine medical treatment. So give me $25 and we'll call it quits.

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

So, I came to this whole SJW mess a little late. It was after Elevatorgate, and Monopod, and also well after Snarky did her kickstarter thing. I spent most of my time watching noelplum, justicar, tf00t and then Mykeru vids to get caught up as it were. From these I expected to see the sort of duplicity that you get on FtB not because I implicitly trusted the aforementioned video makers, but because so many sources seemed to agree on the way they do things over there.

Then I watched two of my fav YTers drop down the shit hole when AronRa and Christina Rad joined the dysfunctional glee club and started parroting the party line for what, clicks and attention? It was so different from the content they had produced before with regard to their statements being reasonably logical and sensible. They started spewing the kind of fallacious crap I expected from inmendham and VenomFangX...two people on opposite sides of the God argument, but equally nutty in their content. So, nothing new from FtB.

What I don't get is people like Adam Lee, someone I had never heard of before Nugents' recent activity. If they are actually trying to expose things like Shermer and the rape allegations, why behave in a manner similar to a group like FtB who have gained such a deserving shitty reputation and start moving goalposts, deleting dissent and generally cherry picking opponents' arguments in order to strengthen theirs? Wouldn't it be better to come at things like this with a bit of honesty and integrity and kill two birds with one post by simultaneously distancing themselves from the SJW brigade and add to their own credibility? Is my existence as a naive, middle-age Canuckistanian letting me down?

I read that piece by Lee linked by Aneris and Mykeru, and then I read the comments. I had to check the url to see that Chrome hadn't magically transported me to FtB like some degenerate 'help me I'm a victim' homing beacon. Same old shit, different words. It's all so exhausting for my poor brain, lol. I guess I am glad I wasn't around from the Elevatorgate times as three and a-half years of this shit might have done me in.

Anyways, /rantover. Just needed to get that off my chest. :)

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:

1-6 Dunno. He took some x-rays. It was somewhere around L4-S3 ... not sure. Ask our resident Doc what she thinks was likely.

(All I clearly remember was being in pain and unable to walk more than 50 yards before my legs stopped functioning and *plop* down I went and like I said ealier ... the physio was doing jack shit except to be honest there was this one exercise where they had me lying on a bench and someone pulled on my legs and while they were doing that I had some relief .. as soon as they stopped the pain returned.).

What I do know is that the surgery was cancelled and it was around 8-9 months before all discomfort was gone.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

AndrewV69 wrote:
What I do know is that the surgery was cancelled and it was around 8-9 months before all discomfort was gone.

Question what was the recover time for the surgery?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Just checking in on the alexa ratings for some of the sites directly involved in Gamergate. The trends are pretty interesting. Polygon also seems to be holding its own (not shown, b/c I could only add three attachments) but I'm glad that Gamasutra at least is in the toilet. Kotaku has bounced back through what I can only assume is black magic .*

*because who reads that site in the first place?
Attachments
Gamasutra.jpg
(52.87 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Kotaku.jpg
(50.26 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
RPS_9_30_14.png
(29.73 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

Here are the missing numbers for polygon.
Attachments
polygon.jpg
(57.85 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Old_ones:
Are you suggesting that maybe all is not well in the land of SJL Game "Journalists", and that maybe, just maybe, this is having a negative impact on their traffic? Also, I'm interested to see just how many advertisers have pulled the plug on the "Flailing Four".

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

BarnOwl wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote: And what a deferens that makes.
Testefy, Brother Anteater!

We need to give that avatar more than a passing glans.
:clap:

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Lsuoma wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
free thoughtpolice wrote:Lsuoma: A tip about Montreal; if your waiter is a francophone male you need to address him as "garcon" or he might spit in your steak.
Alternatively, you might address him as "boy", which is the English translation of "garçon".

I don't know what would happen to your steak, though.
Ever read "Portnoy's Complaint"?
No, did someone spit in his food too?

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

comhcinc wrote:
BarnOwl wrote:
comhcinc wrote:My case in point about wrestling.

http://shop.wwe.com/Courage-Conquer-Cur ... lt,sc.html
I do research on non-gendered cancers and fund-raise accordingly (also for research on non-gendered neurological disorders), but if you're interested in promoting awareness of/raising funds for prostate cancer research and other men's health issues, there's "Movember" - http://us.movember.com/. Several of my co-workers participate every year - maybe you can encourage the wrestling organizations to support it. The Prostate Cancer Foundation has "Athletes for a Cure" which offers lots of fundraising opportunities for runners, triathletes, etc.
I take part in movember every year. I rarely raise much funds because I am kinda an ass.

My point is that WWE a business that is marketed at men and boys. It is an excellent place for a little prostate cancer awareness could be done . Instead they bandwagon on komen for the cure shit and honestly at this point if they dropped and switched to prostate awareness I am sure the usual suspects will come out of the woodworks and decry it as proof that the WWE hates women.

Sorry, this is kind of a random topic to jump in on after all that lurking, but there's a simpler explanation. The advertisers assume their predominantly male audience is hetero, and therefore eager to insure against boob loss. Also, contemplating something perceived to be emasculating (like prostate cancer) might kill the #testosteronevibe...
Attachments
image.jpg
(87.89 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Badger3k wrote: Yep - that's the one. Was it you who posted it and mentioned the silence? That's why I browsed today (aside from being off work for inventory).
There is a lot of shyte going on in the ME and this is just one example. I brought it up because while I can understand the usual suspects ignoring what is happening to men and boys (tortured, shot in the back of the head, crucified ... and yes that includes young boys age 11 and toddlers) I would have thought they would have raised an uproar about it happening to women and young girls (raped, sold as sex slaves, strangled etc. etc.)

But nope. Silence.
Don't you see? Teh Mooslims are oppressed by teh western white scum, so it's OK when then do it.

Plus, punching up.

And Islammophobeeya.

Also - wibble.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Lsuoma wrote:
screwtape wrote:Yes, be sure to use 'garçon' when you follow the previous advice to visit Le Stud.

Just catching up - sleep apnea is for real, and a bigger problem than we would have guessed ten years ago. Some people feel fantastically better once they are on CPAP, others don't tolerate it. You have to be a bit careful about diagnosis though - it is a booming industry here, with 'sleep clinics' popping up all over. Most of them have never met a patient who didn't have it, and that concerns me a bit. Make sure any device you use comes with a trial period so you can return it if you can't stand it, but with an AHI of >60 you should try hard to learn to tolerate it.
For people who aren't familiar with the metrics, an AHI of 60 means that there are 60 apnea (completely blocked breathing) or hypopnea (resticted breathing) events per hour, or one per minute - I'd really be surprised if anybody could be at all rested with an AHI that high. I felt really bad with an AHI of 30 - with my CPAP my AHI is now around 0.3-0.5.
Mine was in the 50's

I was diagnosed about 10 years ago, (I could sleep 12 hrs and feel like I hadn't slept a wink.cpap did wonders for that)

I had to do another sleep study before my sinus surgery two years ago. The technician woke me up twice to ask if I was OK.(apparently he found my blood oxygen levels or some such disturbing)

Bottom line cpap, use it.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Avalyne wrote:Just a little late night (in the U.S.--sorry if I'm being continent-ist) humor to keep the mood bright. Oh, and, has someone already asked Concentrated H20 if his avatar is PZ demonstrating "Hands up. Don't shoot?" Very disappointing. I've searched and searched for the cock in the pic, but all I can find is... well...

[youtube]e3h6es6zh1c[/youtube]
I thought his new avatar was Peezus/Jim Jones.( the sunglasses/seventies disco shirt.)

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Odintsova wrote:

Sorry, this is kind of a random topic to jump in on after all that lurking, but there's a simpler explanation. The advertisers assume their predominantly male audience is hetero, and therefore eager to insure against boob loss. Also, contemplating something perceived to be emasculating (like prostate cancer) might kill the #testosteronevibe...

Hello. Now fuck off.

The advertisers have zero to do with what WWE choses to promote charity wise. Also that whole idea that wrestling fans are some how homophobic is totally bullshit. There have been beloved wrestlers that are gay and no one has ever given a shit.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Patter ... sonal_life

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Old_ones wrote:Just checking in on the alexa ratings for some of the sites directly involved in Gamergate. The trends are pretty interesting. Polygon also seems to be holding its own (not shown, b/c I could only add three attachments) but I'm glad that Gamasutra at least is in the toilet. Kotaku has bounced back through what I can only assume is black magic .*

I find the Rock, Paper, Shotgun decline especially... I was going to say satisfying, but that's not quite it. It's not a good thing. But I found their decline into idiocy especially disappointing, so in a way it is satisfying to see their behaviour actually having consequences. I only visited the site for a relatively short while, but they had some really good writers. It's a shame that at least some of them also turned out to be assholes.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Steersman wrote:While I've probably been ninja'd a couple of times, on the off-chance I haven't been, a heads-up to all, but particularly to the 'shopper brigade, that tomorrow [Sept 30th] is "International Blasphemy Day" - at least according to Ron Lindsay over at CFI. I was thinking about posting a comment asking, apropos of nothing much in particular, if mocking all and sundry came in under that banner ....
International Blasphemy Day eh? Very well. Those who indulge in it should be rounded up and executed.

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

comhcinc wrote:
Odintsova wrote:

Hello. Now fuck off.

The advertisers have zero to do with what WWE choses to promote charity wise. Also that whole idea that wrestling fans are some how homophobic is totally bullshit. There have been beloved wrestlers that are gay and no one has ever given a shit.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Patter ... sonal_life

Just teasin, I do love old WWF. Really don't think it's a cuntspiracy in this case, as much as they just like boobs.
I'll fuck back off now ;)

Oh wait, this though, is the greatest gift ICP ever gave (besides "fucking magnets"):

Stranglemania

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Odinvista:
In case you were curious you can typically embed (provided it's not blocked), by using the youtube tags:
[youtube]WN-8rdiVuWg[/youtube]

in the case of the video you linked, you take everything after the / (WN-8rdiVuWg) and put it between the two tags. In normal youtube links that have a /watch?v=WN-8rdiVuWg, you would take everything after "v=" etc.

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Thanks for the pro tip!

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Thank Scented Nectar, she's the one that teaches all of us how to use the Youtube tag ( :lol: )
but that's how folks do it.

Zenspace

Post by Zenspace »

blitzem wrote:So, I came to this whole SJW mess a little late. It was after Elevatorgate, and Monopod, and also well after Snarky did her kickstarter thing. I spent most of my time watching noelplum, justicar, tf00t and then Mykeru vids to get caught up as it were. From these I expected to see the sort of duplicity that you get on FtB not because I implicitly trusted the aforementioned video makers, but because so many sources seemed to agree on the way they do things over there.

Then I watched two of my fav YTers drop down the shit hole when AronRa and Christina Rad joined the dysfunctional glee club and started parroting the party line for what, clicks and attention? It was so different from the content they had produced before with regard to their statements being reasonably logical and sensible. They started spewing the kind of fallacious crap I expected from inmendham and VenomFangX...two people on opposite sides of the God argument, but equally nutty in their content. So, nothing new from FtB.

What I don't get is people like Adam Lee, someone I had never heard of before Nugents' recent activity. If they are actually trying to expose things like Shermer and the rape allegations, why behave in a manner similar to a group like FtB who have gained such a deserving shitty reputation and start moving goalposts, deleting dissent and generally cherry picking opponents' arguments in order to strengthen theirs? Wouldn't it be better to come at things like this with a bit of honesty and integrity and kill two birds with one post by simultaneously distancing themselves from the SJW brigade and add to their own credibility? Is my existence as a naive, middle-age Canuckistanian letting me down?

I read that piece by Lee linked by Aneris and Mykeru, and then I read the comments. I had to check the url to see that Chrome hadn't magically transported me to FtB like some degenerate 'help me I'm a victim' homing beacon. Same old shit, different words. It's all so exhausting for my poor brain, lol. I guess I am glad I wasn't around from the Elevatorgate times as three and a-half years of this shit might have done me in.

I'd say you were very perceptive. Adam Lee has been nipping at the heels of FFtB/Skepchick for years trying to get a piece of the conference circuit and blog hit pie. He also wants to be a 'name' and sadly chose the FFtB/Skepchick model to try and get that. In the process he has become an aggressively dishonest weasel, as has been so dramatically illustrated by Michael Nugent and others recently.

Back to lurking for me.

Oh, Lsuoma, hope you are feeling better!

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Behold the enlightened, sex-positive, progressive ways of Atheism Plus:
So, there's nothing for police to apply, really. This is more about being kicked out of school than going to jail. It's a decent step, but it's limited in application
"They still won't let us hang all the dudebros after someone claims they're a rapist. But we'll get there."
Still, what I've seen coming about as a result of this are numerous discussions of "but people get drunk and have sex in college all the time! This is going to interfere with that!" To which I say, "Good." Note that I have nothing against people having sex or being drunk. I just don't think people should be doing them (as often if at all) in concert, given all the problems that tend to result. So hopefully it starts to help change the general script that happens at college parties.
"Those damn college kids, getting drunk and having sex all together! Serves them right"!
It's a small step, maybe, toward the fact that, in a "he said she said" situation, you have to prove consent happened rather than disconsent didn't happen.
"Innocent until proven guilty is for rape apologists! Now you're guilty until you prove your innocence, you shitlords."

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Steersman wrote:While I've probably been ninja'd a couple of times, on the off-chance I haven't been, a heads-up to all, but particularly to the 'shopper brigade, that tomorrow [Sept 30th] is "International Blasphemy Day" - at least according to Ron Lindsay over at CFI. I was thinking about posting a comment asking, apropos of nothing much in particular, if mocking all and sundry came in under that banner ....
International Blasphemy Day eh? Very well. Those who indulge in it should be rounded up and executed.
I think what passes for modern popular feminism on the internet today is incredibly sexist.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Andrea Dworkins was a right cunt!

There, that should do it for blasphemy.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Just came across this story...wow.

Priest found guilty of raping dozens of children *and* a sled dog
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressiv ... -sled-dog/ :cdc:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Andrea Dworkins was a right cunt!

Careful, that thar word is a gendered slur. At least in the world of the SJL. :roll:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

another lurker:
On behalf of little Tibby: it's a good thing there was evidence to support the accusations, unlike SOME peoples' accusations.

Also:
Justice Robert Kilpatrick wrote:Judges and juries do not possess divine insight into the soul of witnesses who testify in a legal proceeding. Decisions must be made on the basis of evidence alone, not intuition or guesswork
:clap: :clap: :clap:
(emphasis mine)

Suspicious in light of little Tibby's accusation of A/S & Alleged Rapes.

Apples

Post by Apples »

bovarchist wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
Lsuoma wrote: Is Malady the one grossed out by red rockets?
If they are on a dog, she is. She once wrote something about not being able to stand looking at dog penises.
They give her...feelings...
h/t Ape+lust

tina

Post by tina »

In moderation at Nugent's so just gonna plonk it here....

So Lee is ‘done with it’ and has retreated to his ‘safe space’ where the dialogue can be controlled by him. Evidence, once again, of the strategies of the self-serving SJW mindset exposed so thoroughly in these pages. Myers trajectory of disowning scepticism, embracing post modern notions that the truth is what we make it, and latterly his mournful musings concerning the atheist ‘community’ confirm the ideological underpinnings of this peculiar brand of merkin atheism.

The reluctance of ‘the hoard’ to engage in a public space they cannot control speaks volumes in itself. Hopefully many more are now aware of the disingenuous and hypocritical nature of the writings of Myers, Benson, Lee et al, and can begin to consider their true motivations in their attacks on Dawkins, Harris, Coyne, Shermer, Krauss, Blackford, and many many others. To which list must now be added the name of Michael Nugent, one of the most tireless and effective campaigners for secular society on either side of the pond.

As we continue to hold up a mirror to their small, poisonous bubble, it will eventually thin and burst. I hope more will speak out now.

(good job over there everyone) :clap:

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Karmakin wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
AndrewV69 wrote: I once fucked up my back and after months of Physio that did shit, I went to see a Chiropractor and got instant relief. When I say fucked up ... I am talking about falling down due to complete loss of use of my legs not to mention being in constant pain.

Meanwhile my Doctor had scheduled me for surgery to get my spine fused. At any rate I was so fucked up by then, I figured I may as well try it and I went to see the Chiropractor twice a day for two weeks, and over the course of several months it tapered off to once a month before I was pronounced as fully cured.

I would not let a Chiropractor touch your neck though.
So let's use occam's razor. Your back either A: got better naturally over several months or B: got better over several months becomes of unproven medical treatment. mhhhhh :think:
Eh, my wife has actually had a lot of success with a local chiropractor with a combination of traction and massage therapy. That's not to say that there's not cranks out there, but I wouldn't dismiss the entire field.
Is it possible you're mixing up Physio-Therapy and Chiropractic ? Like many folks mix up herbal medicine and Homeopathy ?

I know I did for the first 25 years of my life.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Did someone say they wanted Hitler added to this picture?
hitpic6.jpg
(1.95 MiB) Downloaded 211 times
Am I doing it right?

tina

Post by tina »

Apples wrote:They give her...feelings...

OK...now I'm on board the Nostromo with a Laden penis pushing it's way through the chest wall of wotsisname. Thanks a bunch! :evil:

Q pyt shoopers

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

blitzem wrote:So, I came to this whole SJW mess a little late. It was after Elevatorgate, and Monopod, and also well after Snarky did her kickstarter thing. I spent most of my time watching noelplum, justicar, tf00t and then Mykeru vids to get caught up as it were. From these I expected to see the sort of duplicity that you get on FtB not because I implicitly trusted the aforementioned video makers, but because so many sources seemed to agree on the way they do things over there.

The same thing happened with me. I'd been a Pharyrngula poster for years (well before he went to Seed Blogs which later bought by SciAm). It was mostly science with a little bit of push-back on the creationists and that was what I was interested in.

But, I kind of got sick and tired of the BS that was going on with the don't be a dick crap and the witch hunts and shunning and pissy blog fights. So I left the wider atheist community and Pharyangula in particular.

When I came back, I did much of the same thing as you -- get up to speed. I also noticed that AronRa and ChristinaRad had joined FTB and had completely changed from the Vloggers I followed to, well, idiots spouting irrational nonsense. Making it even more ironic, at one point, ChristinaRad even had a video where she debunked feminism and pushed-back against it. Only to, once she went FTB, to make that video private.

And AronRa... OMG, some of the dumb-ass stuff he's said since hitting FTB. Like this one:
that men are genetically half-female, I know the biology too well to say otherwise; it's true.
No, fucker. We're not 'half-female.' You don't know genetics beyond some shallow, 8th-grade biology level if you think that. First, we have 46 chromosomes. Only two of them are 'sex' chromosomes. So, at best, we're 1/46th female. But even that is silly.
Adam Lee = click fest emo-baggage blogger. That's why.

Otherwise, why even get involved in an inherently personal matter? It's not Adam Lee's business. He doesn't have the facts. Nobody really has the facts. We have various allegations and counter-claims, none of which can be tested or fully trusted. About all I can take out of it is that they were both drunk, they sobered up for a while, then drunk fucked as slightly less drunk.

I missed almost two years of it. But what we still get is as stupid and tiresome as ever.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

TiBo wrote: Is it possible you're mixing up Physio-Therapy and Chiropractic ? Like many folks mix up herbal medicine and Homeopathy ?

I too, was scratching my head for a while. Here we have kinesitherapeuthes, who deal with physical therapy/reeducation, and then we have oteopaths, who seem to be the same cranks as the chiropractors discussed here. A friend of mine went to visit one once. The guy didn't even touch her (SJW heaven), he just passed his hands 10 cm over her body and told her all that was "wrong" with her.

Charlatans.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

another lurker wrote:Just came across this story...wow.

I know this guy was in the Canadian Arctic and options were limited but I still have to ask, a sled dog?

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Zenspace wrote:
I'd say you were very perceptive. Adam Lee has been nipping at the heels of FFtB/Skepchick for years trying to get a piece of the conference circuit and blog hit pie. He also wants to be a 'name' and sadly chose the FFtB/Skepchick model to try and get that. In the process he has become an aggressively dishonest weasel, as has been so dramatically illustrated by Michael Nugent and others recently.

Back to lurking for me.

Oh, Lsuoma, hope you are feeling better!
Zenspace!

Good to see you, if only for one post. Hope all is well.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

TedDahlberg wrote:
Old_ones wrote:Just checking in on the alexa ratings for some of the sites directly involved in Gamergate. The trends are pretty interesting. Polygon also seems to be holding its own (not shown, b/c I could only add three attachments) but I'm glad that Gamasutra at least is in the toilet. Kotaku has bounced back through what I can only assume is black magic .*

I find the Rock, Paper, Shotgun decline especially... I was going to say satisfying, but that's not quite it. It's not a good thing. But I found their decline into idiocy especially disappointing, so in a way it is satisfying to see their behaviour actually having consequences. I only visited the site for a relatively short while, but they had some really good writers. It's a shame that at least some of them also turned out to be assholes.
They used to be great when they focused on games. But a few years ago they lost focus and turned into crap so I wandered away. Right now I'm reading at PCGamer (not very often), TechRaptor and GamesNosh because they either didn't go 'all in' or even 'pushed back.'

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Pagancat wrote:

I know this guy was in the Canadian Arctic and options were limited but I still have to ask, a sled dog?
What I want to know is, did the priest himself keep that particular sled dog's wine glass full, or was it the waiter asking the whole team if they'd like more?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Dana Hunter needs some chocolate.
PZ’s the one who inspired me all those years ago. He lit the fire. He turned me into an unapologetic atheist. He rekindled my passion for science and gave me the conviction and the courage to blog it. He showed me that we could forge a better world without gods. He gave me hope. And I’ll be damned if I let a few assholes in the movement take that away. I don’t care if we have to tear the entire movement down and rebuild it from the foundation up. I don’t care how much that makes smug assholes like Dawkins and Harris howl, I don’t care how much it makes reported serial sexual harassers like Shermer shriek. I don’t care how many fuckwads scream and whine and try to flood our channels with death and rape threats. This isn’t their movement. They don’t get to define it.
Beset by the howlers and shriekers. It's like a truly bad Harry Potter.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Pagancat wrote:
He raped boys and girls. And a sled dog. No classical sexual orientation, not even a speciest orientation. He would probably rape aliens as well.

Pedos are said to look for careers which predictably put them into contact with children. Is it normal for a pedo rapist to have no classical sexual orientation ? And dogs ? I'm sure handling dogs is not a part of a clergy's job description. From that perspective, it doesn't make much sense.

Isn't it more likely that it's that particular job which messes with your mind ? You're factually excluded from having any kind of sexual relationship, even with yourself, and you're expected to communicate your (misinformed and surpressed) ideas about sexuality to your flock on a regular basis, as if you were some kind of authority on the matter. That can't be good.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Brive1987 wrote:Dana Hunter needs some chocolate.
PZ’s the one who inspired me all those years ago. He lit the fire. He turned me into an unapologetic atheist. He rekindled my passion for science and gave me the conviction and the courage to blog it. He showed me that we could forge a better world without gods. He gave me hope. And I’ll be damned if I let a few assholes in the movement take that away. I don’t care if we have to tear the entire movement down and rebuild it from the foundation up. I don’t care how much that makes smug assholes like Dawkins and Harris howl, I don’t care how much it makes reported serial sexual harassers like Shermer shriek. I don’t care how many fuckwads scream and whine and try to flood our channels with death and rape threats. This isn’t their movement. They don’t get to define it.
Dana makes the common baboon mistake of assuming it's "their" movement and *they* get to decide who is in and who is out. She also makes the common baboon mistake of thinking of this herd of cats as a "movement". She also makes the common baboon mistake of equating vociferous disagreement with "rape and death threats.

*yawn* same old, same old.

Whatever, Dana. Let us know how it all works out for you, m'kay?

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

I would also like to thank mum and dad, Jesus and all those people who supported me over the years. And now what I would really like is world peace.

Suet Cardigan

Post by Suet Cardigan »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Zero_ ... _notion%29

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Dana makes the common baboon mistake of assuming it's "their" movement and *they* get to decide who is in and who is out. She also makes the common baboon mistake of thinking of this herd of cats as a "movement". She also makes the common baboon mistake of equating vociferous disagreement with "rape and death threats.

*yawn* same old, same old.

Whatever, Dana. Let us know how it all works out for you, m'kay?
It's the classic "Why don't you accept The Truthâ„¢?" pulled by religious fanatics, where "truth" is synonymous with their dogma. Of course, in this construct, the only way to be against rape is exactly the way they claim to be against rape. Anything less is being, at least, a "rape apologist".

It's the pattern of intellectually limited people who change all the accouterments, while still using the same framework of thought.

That is, "born again" atheists enamored with superficial scientism.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Year Zero? Kind of follows on from PZ's latest epic apocalyptic fantasy:

"But it’s going to take some new leadership, I think, or better yet, a great uprising."

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... more-20842

It's funny. If you explain this intent to someone outside this discussion (say at JREF) they accuse you of being an over wrought, tinhat conspiracy nut. Because no one with any public profile could really be so infantile and yet so grandiose in their desires? Could they?

subbie1957

Post by subbie1957 »

Has this great uprising started yet?

I heard a rumour that people were marching into Barnes and Noble and snapping up such huge numbers of PZ's book that security had to be called to stop people fighting over copies.

Reporters are even as I speak trying to find Morris on the map so they can ask PZ his opinion on topical issues.

I imagine they will have to build Morris International Airport soon to handle the number of people in this 'great uprising'.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

subbie1957 wrote:Has this great uprising started yet?

I heard a rumour that people were marching into Barnes and Noble and snapping up such huge numbers of PZ's book that security had to be called to stop people fighting over copies.

Reporters are even as I speak trying to find Morris on the map so they can ask PZ his opinion on topical issues.

I imagine they will have to build Morris International Airport soon to handle the number of people in this 'great uprising'.
Phase 1 complete:
I have a different metaphor for us, my brothers and sisters in atheism. We are not sheep; there are no shepherds here. I look out from this stage and I see 4000 pairs of hunter’s eyes, 4000 hunter’s minds, 4000 pairs of hunter’s hands. I see the primeval primate hunting band grown large and strong. I see us so confident in our strength that we laugh at our enemies. I see a people thinking and planning, fierce and focused, learning and building new tools to conquer new worlds.

You are not sheep. You, my brothers and sisters in atheism, are a fierce, coordinated hunting pack — men and women working together, and those other bastards have cause to fear us. So let’s do it: make them tremble as we demolish the city of god.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ty-of-god/

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Peezus's great uprising will end once his lazy PTSD-riddled "horde" realizes they'd actually have to get out of their easy chairs and do something other than angrily tap on their keyboards.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Andrea Dworkins was a right cunt!

Phil coming out as an Otherkin on facebook was very brave. Why didn't you tell your friends at the Pit first?

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Brive1987 wrote:Year Zero? Kind of follows on from PZ's latest epic apocalyptic fantasy:

"But it’s going to take some new leadership, I think, or better yet, a great uprising."

It's funny. If you explain this intent to someone outside this discussion (say at JREF) they accuse you of being an over wrought, tinhat conspiracy nut. Because no one with any public profile could really be so infantile and yet so grandiose in their desires? Could they?
All this amidst the fact that if it weren't for the Pit, we wouldn't have even a hazy understanding of what when on in Vegas, 2008. All this amidst the fact that Greta has all but admitted her protestations against Sam Harris was full of shit. The real question is, when are these people going to stop being mesmerized by the sound of their whining? Their entire case is based on a stack of lies and fabrication. The only thing wrong with the atheist movement, is THEM.

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

Apples wrote: h/t Ape+lust
Trigger Warning (sorry [?] was unable to embed this)

https://vine.co/v/heOrMrw15vH

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

My bold. Nice turn of phrase there, making it sound all official like.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

Ericb wrote:
Apples wrote: h/t Ape+lust
Trigger Warning (sorry [?] was unable to embed this)

https://vine.co/v/heOrMrw15vH
Wow. This maybe an massive coincidence but I have a strong aversion to malingering fuckers who are wasting oxygen by existing. Is this the Twilight Zone?

Southern

Post by Southern »

Probably because Kotaku nowdays has anything but game-related news. Brian Ashcroft and Patricia Hernandez can all go suck a fuck with their own clique, the damn idiots.

Which reminds me that last week Cracked also ran THREE articles pretty much calling me a horrible person because of Gamergate - one of them by Zoe Cunt-Seller herself, no less. Since David Wong stopped being funny some aeons ago, Gladstone is still unfunny now as he was ever since the internet became a thing, Seanbaby only writes one article every blood moon or so, and they're using animated GIFs for "comedy", I'm calling quits on that piece of shit.

I'm finally getting so old that I cannot find enjoyment on the internet without bitching about something. A couple more years and...

http://memestorage.com/_nw/19/29295727.jpg

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

Also my horse my horse for an working edit button

Karmakin

Post by Karmakin »

TiBo wrote:
Karmakin wrote: Eh, my wife has actually had a lot of success with a local chiropractor with a combination of traction and massage therapy. That's not to say that there's not cranks out there, but I wouldn't dismiss the entire field.
Is it possible you're mixing up Physio-Therapy and Chiropractic ? Like many folks mix up herbal medicine and Homeopathy ?

Nope, this is someone who actively advertises as a Chiropractic. It might be different here (in Canada) than it is in other places however.

That said, this business also does Physio-Therapy work as well so I suspect the line is more than a little blurred here.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Brive1987 wrote:Year Zero? Kind of follows on from PZ's latest epic apocalyptic fantasy:

The first ten comments are only about trains. :lol:

It's also amusing to me because I wrote this the other day on Nugent's blog:
Maybe they [Peezus et al.] should now focus their locust-like attention on other causes. I hear that there is a huge gender imbalance in circles of model railway fanciers, no doubt caused by a pernicious problem with sexism and misogyny there.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Brive1987 wrote:
subbie1957 wrote:Has this great uprising started yet?

Phase 1 complete:
I have a different metaphor for us, my brothers and sisters in atheism. We are not sheep; there are no shepherds here. I look out from this stage and I see 4000 pairs of hunter’s eyes, 4000 hunter’s minds, 4000 pairs of hunter’s hands. I see the primeval primate hunting band grown large and strong. I see us so confident in our strength that we laugh at our enemies. I see a people thinking and planning, fierce and focused, learning and building new tools to conquer new worlds.

You are not sheep. You, my brothers and sisters in atheism, are a fierce, coordinated hunting pack — men and women working together, and those other bastards have cause to fear us. So let’s do it: make them tremble as we demolish the city of god.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... ty-of-god/
Oh my. Did Pope Peezus finally lost his mind? Has he got all stabby with some Christian trying to convert him yet and he is now trying to amass an army to fight against the corrupt forces of the MRA-Chritian-State trying to arrest him?