Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
sinister

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by sinister »

You guys understand at UM Morris PZ has power over people future lives correct? You guys have segmented the world into rigid little boxes where no interaction can occur. Even though we have seen that just isn't so.

Now you worry yourselves sick conflating calling someone's CO because he says you don't have Twitter PTSD, and informing a college that a professor has just used his authority to try to harm someone because they disagree with him on the internet. Does a student have to be hurt before something is said? Do more people have to be doxxed first? When has it gone too far?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

sinister wrote:You guys understand at UM Morris PZ has power over people future lives correct? You guys have segmented the world into rigid little boxes where no interaction can occur. Even though we have seen that just isn't so.
I'm listening. Walk me through the evidence that PZ uses his internet activities to support inappropriate behavior at work. In other words, connect the dots between his being a powerful e-shit to him actually abusing folks over whom he has power at work.

windy

Post by windy »

sinister wrote:You guys understand at UM Morris PZ has power over people future lives correct? You guys have segmented the world into rigid little boxes where no interaction can occur. Even though we have seen that just isn't so.

Now you worry yourselves sick conflating calling someone's CO because he says you don't have Twitter PTSD, and informing a college that a professor has just used his authority to try to harm someone because they disagree with him on the internet. Does a student have to be hurt before something is said? Do more people have to be doxxed first? When has it gone too far?
http://www.messilionel.org/wp-content/u ... 033191.jpg

sinister

Post by sinister »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
I'm listening. Walk me through the evidence that PZ uses his internet activities to support inappropriate behavior at work. In other words, connect the dots between his being a powerful e-shit to him actually abusing folks over whom he has power at work.
So, he is harming people in the REAL world. Not just the internet. What is even happening that you guys don't understand that actual harm has been done, offline, meatspace, IRL, whatever?
It's not his work vs his blog, it's abusing his power to hurt people, REAL PEOPLE, in the REAL WORLD. Still no connection to having power over students?

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

deLurch wrote:
Old_ones wrote:
And releasing his identity accomplishes what, exactly? Unless you are privy to a lot of information I know nothing about, we have no means of establishing the veracity of his story. There is also no way he could be prosecuted even if it were true.

Let oggie rot in his anonymity. Maybe I'm a poor judge of character, but this miserable wreck of a human being who spends all of his free time groveling for pity points in the pharyngula lounge thread does not seem like a credible threat to anyone. If you have evidence that I'm wrong about that you should go to the authorities.
OK. Two parts of interest to that statement. State laws vary on how long statute of limitations last. If we knew the state where it occurred in we could come up with a reasonable idea if that has expired just by looking at the state laws. The laws on raping minors can have either extended or unlimited statutes of limitations in various states.

Now IF, it was possibly within that range, then it would be up to the police in that jurisdiction to determine the veracity of the this person's online ramblings. If someone admits to killing someone online in a non-joking manner, the cops can figure that one out.
Blueshiftrhino posted something similar, but neither of you guys are accounting for the fact that Ogvorbis claims he was 12 when he committed the alleged rapes. If his act had been uncovered at the time it likely would have been handled in juvenile court, and it seems hard for me to believe that this wouldn't affect the statute of limitations.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

"WAS IT OVER WHEN THE GERMANS BOMBED PEARL HARBOR?"

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's on a roll,"

tina

Post by tina »

I like that the pyt is a collection of ornery cussed shitlords that take responsibility for their own faces/faeces. Do what you will, but make the pyt into something that has a corporate strategy has its downside. #thinkingaboutit

Now fuck off, I have ironing to do. :violin:

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

sinister wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
So, he is harming people in the REAL world. Not just the internet. What is even happening that you guys don't understand that actual harm has been done, offline, meatspace, IRL, whatever?
It's not his work vs his blog, it's abusing his power to hurt people, REAL PEOPLE, in the REAL WORLD. Still no connection to having power over students?
People are very different on-line vs IRL, even those who don't use nyms. So, yes, I'm asking for evidence that PZ's internet actions have a link to what he does at UMinn Morris.

Please note that I'm just doing what we all say we're supposed to do: gather and examine evidence before concluding and acting. I WANT to do something. I just want to make sure that what I do is warranted, effective, and unlikely to cause collateral damage.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Rat Bastard wrote:I mainly lurk here, usually by the time I have caught up with the goings ons here in the Pit, it's kinda too late to make a valid comment. But this whole thing with Myers and the Doxxing of Skep has me furious. However, I am of the opinion that we should just sit back and wait to see what, if any, fallout there is. Just think how frustrating it would be for Meyers if, after all he's trying to do to Skep, the response from her work is "So what?" If there's no fallout, it would serve to make him feel as impotent on the net as he is in the elevator.
This. Anything else is angry pitchfork-rattling at this point, liable to do more harm than good. Charging in all drunk on emotion is a stupid thing to do.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I wonder how many people here are here because if SJW's in general vs people being here for the PZ FTB A+ lolz.

For me, I sort of had no idea about SJWism until elevatorgate. But since then I've sort of given up on "atheism and secularism" (and maybe even before since IMO the battle for atheism awareness has been won) and have gone full anti-SJW. So I am here for the anti-SJW antics. I honestly couldn't care less about PZ and his crew except if it makes it into the more mainstream media. (for example Cathy Young wrote an article and mentioned the usual suspects).

And to Michael Nugent. We told you so. There, got that off my chest.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Old_ones wrote:Blueshiftrhino posted something similar, but neither of you guys are accounting for the fact that Ogvorbis claims he was 12 when he committed the alleged rapes. If his act had been uncovered at the time it likely would have been handled in juvenile court, and it seems hard for me to believe that this wouldn't affect the statute of limitations.
Adjustments to the SOL are based on the age of the victim, not the age of the accused. That Oggie was also underage only affects the venue.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

Not to pull a Dear Muslima here, but the problem goes well beyond Meyers. He's small fish in the SJW world. And while you are very correct that he does have power over peoples lives in his position at UM Morris, there are less vocal professors who have greater sway over the views of todays youth in middle schools, high schools, and universities all over the country. Now am I suggesting laying down and taking what the SJW's are dishing out, not by a long shot. But when it is a battle of morality, just as here at the Pit there is a line drawn on doxxing, we should be ever vigilant not to cross lines that the other side shouldn't cross. Quite unfortunately, that is the price that must be paid to be on the side of "good" (whatever that is). So far, from what I've read here, Skep seems to be coming out of this OK and handling the pile of squidshit that was thrown her way. And she does have my full support. But if her employers reaction is a big "So what," like I'm hoping it is, that would be the greatest support she could have, and the biggest blow to Meyers and the SJW brigade could get. Think about how frustrating the tone is that contacting the University would have no effect upon Meyers, and the reverse that to be on him. In the meantime, focus on the bigger fish. If this small one does end up actually biting, then act.

windy

Post by windy »

sinister wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
As I mentioned above, PZ could justify his doxxing the same way. "She was abusing her authority... still no connection to having power over patients"?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

debaser71 wrote:I wonder how many people here are here because if SJW's in general vs people being here for the PZ FTB A+ lolz.

For me, I sort of had no idea about SJWism until elevatorgate. But since then I've sort of given up on "atheism and secularism" (and maybe even before since IMO the battle for atheism awareness has been won) and have gone full anti-SJW. So I am here for the anti-SJW antics. I honestly couldn't care less about PZ and his crew except if it makes it into the more mainstream media. (for example Cathy Young wrote an article and mentioned the usual suspects).

And to Michael Nugent. We told you so. There, got that off my chest.
If you wish to act, but don't want anything to do with The Rift, elevatorgate, zebrafishgate, etc, then look up Sean Faircloth and other secular folks (who often work with the religious, esp. Unitarians). When I talked to Sean a little while ago, he was not only uninvolved in the current nonsense, but rather clueless about it ... to his credit.

Southern

Post by Southern »

sinister wrote:Now Aneris is posting conference policies at Nugent's blog, and it doesn't appear to be tounge in cheek... Conference policy requests (demands?)

We have become the monsters we fight.
Which is a good segway into this:

[youtube]jTdcJWDNsao[/youtube]

I would clarify with Aneris first if she's being sarcastic or not. Sometimes that's just highlighting the hypocrisy or trying to browbeat them with their own rules. Then again, I didn't read what Aneris wrote, I am not in the mood to go to Nuggets's place right now (last time I went there I trolled Eucliwoo a little and derailed her attempts to do whatever she was trying to do, I can't bother to remember what it was, then I got bored).

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Here is a suggestion (on which comments are welcome): how about getting folks to write to Bill Nye in an attempt to make sure that PZ gains nothing from Bill Nye's visit to UMinn Morris on Oct 14th? I'm not suggesting that we ask Bill Nye not to give his talk - he would not agree and there is no reason to punish the UMinn Morris community as a whole. I'm suggesting that we make sure that PZ isn't the one doing the introduction, for example.

Note that I have no idea if PZ is scheduled to have anything to do with Bill Nye's visit. But I would not want the two of them linked and I would like Bill Nye to know that PZ is not respected.

John D

Post by John D »

Gumby wrote:Not pertaining to the current topic of villagers lighting torches, but whatever.

When Damion rode in on his high horse yesterday, he remarked that he had found Ogvorbis's real name in a mere 15 minutes, and loftily said (paraphrased) "but you don't see me posting it anywhere, do you?"

Then a bit later, he tries to slip some information onto the Pit that could have been used to locate Oggie's name, info that I tedacted.

His final post of the evening was a sneering remark about how we're supposedly protecting the identity of a child rapist.

TL;DR: Damion is a fucking hypocrite who wanted us to do his doxxing for him, so he could remain on his high horse, superior to all, while still getting what he wanted. He didn't want to get his own hands/blog/twitter feed dirty, but was more than willing to try to dirty up another site.

That should tell everyone everything they need to know about Damion.
Damion is certainly a giant ass-hat.... and I don't mean that in a nice way. Many of us here are ass-hats because we are rude and tasteless. Damion is a different kind of ass-hat. It is probably obvious to all of us that the pit is not the place to post someone's personal info. But, Damion, who only pops in here once-in-a-while decides to come here just to dox someone. So, my thinking is to say... "Hey Damion.... you ass-hat... stop... just stop!" and... well done Gumby

Post by guest »

Watson don't give a shit, she signed the petition herself

quote:
How dare Rebecca Watson talk about this thing! People should not talk about things.

Because people shouldn't contact employers, talk about where you live and things.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Brive1987 wrote:Well I'm not seeing significant resolve for collective ultimatums backed by threat of reprisal. But I'll keep my eyes open.

However Oggie you sad pathetic bastard. For god's sake. If you are going to claim to be a rapist, cover your tracks. Because right now you are wide open.

But the pit doesn't doxx. Thank your lucky stars your critics are us and not PZ.

Because then you would have been truly fucked.

http://i.imgur.com/2y4iY5Z.jpg

And please. Stop with the equivalency between your 'rapist' and the Pit.
The Pit doesn't doxx?

- Damion tried to doxx Ogvorbis;
- Damion wears the Official Slymepit Tee;
- Therefore, the Slymepit doxxes.

That's how they would probably spin it, anyway. Gumby said what? Doesn't matter RAPE RAPE RAPE!

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Gumby wrote:

"Germans?"

I have a bunch of free games for him, that should distract him:

1) Dragon Age: http://www.dragonage.com/?sf32144699=1# ... 2788979102

2) Payday 2 http://steamcommunity.com/games/218620/ ... 0360345771

3) Xcom Enemy Unknown: http://blog.playfire.com/2014/10/golden ... -xcom.html

4) Ionball 2 https://www.indiegala.com/extra

5) Crash Time 2 free from Bundle Stars

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

sinister wrote:Okay, last time, you simply cannot doxx Jay Leno by calling his producers. If Jay Leno told his audience to harass someone, calling the network he works for isn't"doxxing! Nor would it be up to David Letterman's audience to fix all alone because of online squabbles the audience may engage in.

Real world damage has been done, not atheist damage, not forum flame damage, not Halo tea-bags, and certainly not skeptic damage. REAL WORLD HARM. Both financially and physically, just because it hasn't happened this time, ignores very real possibilities.

Seriously, you point and laugh at SJWs for not doing anything about what they claim to work against, but when it's your turn to do something, you do the exact same thing you ridicule! Guys, we always joke about a lack of conviction and introspection, well I think that it might be time to grab a mirror.

I can't even to begin to understand why you don't imagine one of his students couldn't be next. Seiously, we are no longer talking about blog posts that are upsetting, but attempts to financially and posibby physically endanger a person! A real person, not a nym.

Plesse, explain to me when it does become okay to notify a college about a dangerous professor? Not one you simply disagree with, someone willing to hurt people because of internet jokes. Please moral "purista" when is it too much? Ballpark it for me.

Actual meat space physical and/or financial harm and that's not even accounting for "splash damage". Stop glossing over that part for fuck's sake!
Could have happened already. There's that campus conservatives group and the woman who PZ claims was going to invent a rape claim about PZ. Of course, all of our info about those incidents comes from Peezus himself, so we have only his word. But, y'know, he would never LIE about anything, would he?

:cdc:

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Here is a suggestion (on which comments are welcome): how about getting folks to write to Bill Nye in an attempt to make sure that PZ gains nothing from Bill Nye's visit to UMinn Morris on Oct 14th? I'm not suggesting that we ask Bill Nye not to give his talk - he would not agree and there is no reason to punish the UMinn Morris community as a whole. I'm suggesting that we make sure that PZ isn't the one doing the introduction, for example.

Note that I have no idea if PZ is scheduled to have anything to do with Bill Nye's visit. But I would not want the two of them linked and I would like Bill Nye to know that PZ is not respected.
I think Nye is already slightly aware of SJW, as he was bandied about as "handy" (in a grabby sense) during conferences, and the twats tweeted him about it. If he hasn't been made aware of the link between the Svanatee and Little Paul, it would be a good time to bring that whole thing to his attention.

Although I have doubts that Little Paul would do anything but whine about Bill Nye. Bill Nye is known and successful. Myer's is an abject failure, and he seems to be jealous of any person that has been a success.

John D

Post by John D »

Gumby wrote:

"Germans?"

Haha... I will make two points here:
1) PZ did not just dox someone. He doxed someone and lied about the circumstances. This is an important point. He claimed that a doctor had shared his personal medical records. This is absolutely untrue. The doctor didn't have his personal records. The doctor was making an obvious tasteless joke about a subject that PZ was blogging about. If dickless PZ was at least honest he could have perhaps complained that the doctor was making rude accusations about him. PZ is such a fucking loser he doxes someone AND lies about what they did. He is a total fuck and is irredeemable in my opinion. Irredeemable like a fucking JRRT orc. Built in such a way that he can only BE evil.

2) I really have no problem with Mykeru calling PZ's school and complaining. This is quite appropriate. My only thought is that PZ was not only doxing the doctor... but he was making slanderous claims about the doctor as well. Mykeru... if you talk to the school again you may want to point this out. A professor, who includes his University's name in his work, has a responsibility to integrity and truth. He is tarnishing the University when he makes slanderous claims about a medical professional. This is grounds for a reprimand.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Guestus Aurelius wrote:
I usually don't chip in online funds or whatever, but if Skeptickle wishes to take Peezus to court (for serious, not Shermer-style), then I'll shit whatever I can, even if the exchange rate is really unfavorable for me now.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Oh my. "I'll CHIP whatver I can". Freudian slip, much?

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Here is a suggestion (on which comments are welcome): how about getting folks to write to Bill Nye in an attempt to make sure that PZ gains nothing from Bill Nye's visit to UMinn Morris on Oct 14th? I'm not suggesting that we ask Bill Nye not to give his talk - he would not agree and there is no reason to punish the UMinn Morris community as a whole. I'm suggesting that we make sure that PZ isn't the one doing the introduction, for example.

I think Nye is already slightly aware of SJW, as he was bandied about as "handy" (in a grabby sense) during conferences, and the twats tweeted him about it. If he hasn't been made aware of the link between the Svanatee and Little Paul, it would be a good time to bring that whole thing to his attention.

Although I have doubts that Little Paul would do anything but whine about Bill Nye. Bill Nye is known and successful. Myer's is an abject failure, and he seems to be jealous of any person that has been a success.
I refined my suggestion (and just posted it on MN's blog): the goal is to get Bill Nye to specifically mention to UMinn Morris that he doesn't want PZ overtly involved in his visit. Thus, even if PZ wasn't scheduled to have anything to do with the visit, the point is still made that well-known folks from the Real World are not impressed by PZ and want to distance themselves from him. I would go so far as to suggest that folks ask Dawkins and Harris to pass along the suggestion to Bill Nye, as the latter is more likely to listen to them. I am also, in effect, using Bill Nye as a "filter" to separate our anger from those that need to be reached.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Gumby wrote:Not pertaining to the current topic of villagers lighting torches, but whatever.

When Damion rode in on his high horse yesterday, he remarked that he had found Ogvorbis's real name in a mere 15 minutes, and loftily said (paraphrased) "but you don't see me posting it anywhere, do you?"

Then a bit later, he tries to slip some information onto the Pit that could have been used to locate Oggie's name, info that I tedacted.

His final post of the evening was a sneering remark about how we're supposedly protecting the identity of a child rapist.

TL;DR: Damion is a fucking hypocrite who wanted us to do his doxxing for him, so he could remain on his high horse, superior to all, while still getting what he wanted. He didn't want to get his own hands/blog/twitter feed dirty, but was more than willing to try to dirty up another site.

That should tell everyone everything they need to know about Damion.
I was speculating along those lines myself. It seemed odd to drop hints about it, then drop a tiny bit of dox, then get angry at the Pit for not picking it up and running with it, to the point of calling Ogster a "serial rapist." I don't see any way that particular criminal accusation can be true, as we only have one confession on record for a single incident.

The charitable interpretation of his actions was he was mad, not thinking straight and just sort of throwing out accusations and dox.

But this still doesn't explain why he didn't drop the dox on his twitter or his own blog.

So like you say, maybe it was the usual fence-sitting bullshit. Did he want to drop the dox in a way that would allow the Pit to think we were doing it ourselves, and then sit on the sidelines and chastise us if we "went too far?"

Seems like a distinct possibility.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Holy shit, are we at it again, wondering if we should have a time out, sit in the corner with our thumbs swirling around our assholes and think about it some more until we reach a state of zen apathy? Didn't we do this last time when doing something about the Radford situation -- bringing in AVfM to get the word out and fill the war chest -- was met with the same response?

Happy to be the guy who gets shit for doing. This time, because I've got a bad case of deja vu, I'm not going to apologize, explain or argue about it.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
If he's tenured then he'd practically have to murder someone to lose his job.

Lochness_Hamster

Post by Lochness_Hamster »

it appears athiests don't have the balls to do a #gamergate and stand up to the bullies

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

pajh wrote:There's a couple of posts on Nugent's blog saying Peezus is not a misogynist - "let's not stoop" type of thing, but is there a list anywhere of the women he's attacked/ridiculed/doxxed/tried to get fired/assaulted/propositioned or just plain silenced? I feel that while they're all obviously "chill girl/sister punishers" a list would still be worthwhile.
I don't think that PZ is a misogynist. I just think that he's a hypocrite bigot who accuses others of being rape apologists, misogynists and "harassers" for things that he himself as done. I also find his tentacle rape fetish rather creepy, but as long as it's just a fantasy, who am I to judge him?

I don't want Myers to lose his job. I just wish he stopped making wild accusations without a shred of evidence and in general being a prat to everyone who doesn't agree with him. If he doesn't want to stop and as a consequence of his accusations he does lose his job, he'd have only himself to blame. But the decision to press defamation charges against him is for the accused, not for me.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Brive1987 wrote:You seriously don't see a difference between offence and reactive self defence.

Ok.
Your manifesto seemed to be carefully making a case for using nerve gas in response to being attacked with nerve gas. You could do that, you might be right in doing so, but you cannot lay claim to any moral high ground in so doing. I'm not blind to the motivation—I am happy with Arthur Harris's actions at Bomber Command; given that it was total war and a matter of survival I can live with what he did. I can't defend it on moral grounds, but if he hadn't I would be writing this in English as a second language, German being my first. But one of the abiding satisfactions of smaller arguments is being better than your enemy. I just don't want to be on the same level as PZ just yet, thanks.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Mykeru:
Mine isn't a case of "zen apathy"; I'd rather not feed them the SJL currency of victim points. If Skep requested it, I'd do it. Much more importantly, I do not want to give them any ammunition to use against Skep or anyone else for that matter.

At the very least, I'm glad you're doing something. I also have no doubts that my stance has already been dismissed as "cowardice" by you.

windy

Post by windy »

John D wrote: Haha... I will make two points here:
1) PZ did not just dox someone. He doxed someone and lied about the circumstances. This is an important point. He claimed that a doctor had shared his personal medical records. This is absolutely untrue. The doctor didn't have his personal records. The doctor was making an obvious tasteless joke about a subject that PZ was blogging about.
Except he didn't claim that AFAICT. Some of his commenters insinuated it.

To be honest the way Matt presented it shares some of the blame for that impression, and he didn't even link to Skep's original joke so people could check for themselves:
It is interesting to note that, following a recent road trip for a conference, he was hospitalized for what just might have been gonorrhea. (h/t Skep tickle.)
Imagine that that was a quote from a Myers post with a h/t to Carrie Poppy- wouldn't it be easy to jump to the conclusion that it was malicious gossip, instead of a dumb joke?

Dave

Post by Dave »

Kirbmarc wrote:
pajh wrote:There's a couple of posts on Nugent's blog saying Peezus is not a misogynist - "let's not stoop" type of thing, but is there a list anywhere of the women he's attacked/ridiculed/doxxed/tried to get fired/assaulted/propositioned or just plain silenced? I feel that while they're all obviously "chill girl/sister punishers" a list would still be worthwhile.
I don't think that PZ is a misogynist. I just think that he's a hypocrite bigot who accuses others of being rape apologists, misogynists and "harassers" for things that he himself as done. I also find his tentacle rape fetish rather creepy, but as long as it's just a fantasy, who am I to judge him?
I think he is misogynistic, although, much as one can have some mild racist tendencies which are not sufficient to earn the title, bigot, I see a difference between having some misogynistic tendencies and being a misogynist. In anycase, PZ's white knighting consistently denies women's agencies. By placing women on a pedestal and attempting to protect them from all and sundry, he is implicitly broadcasting the message that women are not as strong as men, that they cannot take what we would expect men to. Thats sexism. Its a fairly common form of sexism, but while it is not as overt as "bitchez need to be put in their place" sexism, its arguably more pernicious because it is somewhat hidden.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Opyt wrote:Mykeru:
Mine isn't a case of "zen apathy"; I'd rather not feed them the SJL currency of victim points. If Skep requested it, I'd do it. Much more importantly, I do not want to give them any ammunition to use against Skep or anyone else for that matter.

At the very least, I'm glad you're doing something. I also have no doubts that my stance has already been dismissed as "cowardice" by you.
The last time I used the word "cowardice" was applied to P.Z. Myers' actions, not towards anyone in this discussion. So your use of quotation marks is bullshit.

John D

Post by John D »

windy wrote:
John D wrote: Haha... I will make two points here:
1) PZ did not just dox someone. He doxed someone and lied about the circumstances. This is an important point. He claimed that a doctor had shared his personal medical records. This is absolutely untrue. The doctor didn't have his personal records. The doctor was making an obvious tasteless joke about a subject that PZ was blogging about.
Except he didn't claim that AFAICT. Some of his commenters insinuated it.

To be honest the way Matt presented it shares some of the blame for that impression, and he didn't even link to Skep's original joke so people could check for themselves:
It is interesting to note that, following a recent road trip for a conference, he was hospitalized for what just might have been gonorrhea. (h/t Skep tickle.)
Imagine that that was a quote from a Myers post with a h/t to Carrie Poppy- wouldn't it be easy to jump to the conclusion that it was malicious gossip, instead of a dumb joke?
Thanks for the clarification. This is more of a case where he exaggerated a rude joke and declared it to be "starting a rumor". There is a down side with my pledge to never go to his site. I sometimes miss the detail of exactly who said what. Sorry for my error everyone.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Bye, fucking neck brace!

(There still is a small fracture that hasn't healed completely yet, but the surgeon is willing to give it a chance. Other cool stuff: after my next visit in November, he may issue me a written approval for skydiving again!)

John D

Post by John D »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Bye, fucking neck brace!

(There still is a small fracture that hasn't healed completely yet, but the surgeon is willing to give it a chance. Other cool stuff: after my next visit in November, he may issue me a written approval for skydiving again!)
You need permission to skydive.... fucking French pussy! Just do it you wuss!

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Congrats, Phil, but I assume that you kept the neck-brace for parties and such, yes? A round, hairless head should be mounted on something stiff, IMO.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Great news! :D

Casual Nemesis

Post by Casual Nemesis »

Ape+lust wrote: Ease down. Breathe slowly and say to yourself, "It's only chocolate pudding... it's only chocolate pudding..."

http://imgur.com/biQjwW2.jpg

I'm so glad this is my day off, and I didn't see this at work. I laughed for 2-3 minutes straight.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Skep submitted an amusing post using information that little paul himself made public.

She took the symptoms and connected the dots and came up with " ha, ha maybe it's the clap"

It was pure tongue in cheek, anyone with half a brain could see that. (Peez took no action at the time, given he and his minions lurking it is not out of the realm of possibility that he knew about it.)

Matt creates an essay on our favorite frump and issues it with a h/t to skep (referencing her post)

Peez goes ballistic, but he doesn't go after Matt in meat space,(perhaps he doesn't have anything on Matt or feels that what he does have won't have any effect.)

Lice-beard instead decides to dox skep.

He doxed someone over a joke.

I know he claims that skep announced that he had an STD, that it was immoral and unethical to make such a pronouncement. Skep did nothing of the kind, it was humor, and frankly considering some of the things I and others had written towards him pretty tame stuff.

That is Paul Meyers my friends, when he cannot get to the person he wants, he'll go after the person he can.

A small, bitter, petty man.

Hopefully, skeps people will respond with a" who cares" and life will go on much as normal.

As for us, the first thing we should take away and give to others is that Paul Meyers and his skepchik allies feel it is ok to dox over a joke.

I don't think that will sit well with the neutrals or the new arrivals.

This doxxing at least for me is the final straw. We are at war.

We should use all the means at our disposal individually and collectively to send the message that this behavior will no longer be tolerated.

Petitions, e-mails, phone calls, letters, contacts and networking are all in order, even the smallest blow is still a protest against what Meyers and his ilk are trying (and failing)to create.

We all have influence somewhere (whether we are aware of it or not) let's use it.

Make no mistake, this will be a long game, but one that will snowball in time.

They and their ideas are already in decline, we need to increase and keep the pressure on to make sure the end comes even more swiftly and is final.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Mykeru wrote:Holy shit, are we at it again, wondering if we should have a time out, sit in the corner with our thumbs swirling around our assholes and think about it some more until we reach a state of zen apathy? Didn't we do this last time when doing something about the Radford situation -- bringing in AVfM to get the word out and fill the war chest -- was met with the same response?

Happy to be the guy who gets shit for doing. This time, because I've got a bad case of deja vu, I'm not going to apologize, explain or argue about it.
http://i.imgur.com/V7nv3fA.jpg

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

That is awesome news Phil!

(Raises coffee cup) here's to you plummeting from the sky come November!

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Good news! Now wash that neck, I can smell it from here.

CaptainFluffyBunny

BlueShiftRhino wrote:

I refined my suggestion (and just posted it on MN's blog): the goal is to get Bill Nye to specifically mention to UMinn Morris that he doesn't want PZ overtly involved in his visit. Thus, even if PZ wasn't scheduled to have anything to do with the visit, the point is still made that well-known folks from the Real World are not impressed by PZ and want to distance themselves from him. I would go so far as to suggest that folks ask Dawkins and Harris to pass along the suggestion to Bill Nye, as the latter is more likely to listen to them. I am also, in effect, using Bill Nye as a "filter" to separate our anger from those that need to be reached.
Not bad, although if it's public, Little Paul will try to get some victim points with it. Although the only people that seem to give him victim points anymore is fellow baboons, so it's not a bad trade off.

I have to wonder how aware some of these famous skeptics/atheists/others are about the doings of the baboons and the smearing of people. Dawkins and Nugent have clued in, is Bill Nye aware? I've met him, and he seems a nice and genuine guy. Hmmm....

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Excellent news, Phil.

Casual Nemesis

Post by Casual Nemesis »

Congrats Phil. It's good to hear that you've shed your Vader gear.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

And in celebration of Phil's recovery, I suggest we have a trampoline party!

CaptainFluffyBunny

John D wrote:

You need permission to skydive.... fucking French pussy! Just do it you wuss!
I believe the French refer to it as "surrendering the airplane." ;) Just kidding, glad you're out of that thing. It did not look comfortable at all, can't have made sleeping easy.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Sorry, I left out those here who are using media such as you tube, keep up the good work.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:I refined my suggestion (and just posted it on MN's blog): the goal is to get Bill Nye to specifically mention to UMinn Morris that he doesn't want PZ overtly involved in his visit. Thus, even if PZ wasn't scheduled to have anything to do with the visit, the point is still made that well-known folks from the Real World are not impressed by PZ and want to distance themselves from him. I would go so far as to suggest that folks ask Dawkins and Harris to pass along the suggestion to Bill Nye, as the latter is more likely to listen to them. I am also, in effect, using Bill Nye as a "filter" to separate our anger from those that need to be reached.
Not bad, although if it's public, Little Paul will try to get some victim points with it. Although the only people that seem to give him victim points anymore is fellow baboons, so it's not a bad trade off.

I have to wonder how aware some of these famous skeptics/atheists/others are about the doings of the baboons and the smearing of people. Dawkins and Nugent have clued in, is Bill Nye aware? I've met him, and he seems a nice and genuine guy. Hmmm....
Agreed. Emails to Nye might be better than a wave of tweets or other things in public. As to effect, it would seem to me that notice and acceptance by known A/S folks are things that PZ craves, so this was the best that I could come up for near-term. Also, it was right in front of me when I visited UMinn Morris' web-page.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

deLurch wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:I will give Damion a break, because I think he's as pissed off about this whole bag of shit as we are.
I concur. I don't think Damion is as bad or as horrible as every makes him out to be. Yes, he likes to debate matters from all sides. Yes, he crossed the doxxing line a bit, which was caught by the mod. But people are currently debating the line here.

Of all the horrible people in the world Damion isn't one of them.
Two days ago, I would have agreed. Abbie is someone I have met IRL and have a great deal of respect for. Since she seems to have a good relationship with Damion, I was inclined to cut him some slack. But, his performance last night changed that.

For someone who fancies himself the smartest guy in the room, Damion isn't very bright. In playing out his above-it-all-I'm-the-only-true-skeptic schtick, he is trying to tar the Pit with the same brush as FTB regarding the coddling of an admitted rapist in the Ogvorbis situation. However, I would venture to say no one here thinks Oggie is telling the truth. (Show of hands. Who here believes Oggie really did what he said?) So why Damion thinks we are hypocrites for not reporting a crime we don't think actually happened beggars belief. He either is too dull to get that or he does understand but, nonetheless, is willfully creating a situation to make us look like hypocrites. Stupid or conniving are our choices here. Neither is particularly becoming.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Congrats.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Gumby wrote:
Mykeru wrote:Holy shit, are we at it again, wondering if we should have a time out, sit in the corner with our thumbs swirling around our assholes and think about it some more until we reach a state of zen apathy? Didn't we do this last time when doing something about the Radford situation -- bringing in AVfM to get the word out and fill the war chest -- was met with the same response?

http://i.imgur.com/V7nv3fA.jpg
Yeah I get it, the next time something big happens I'll make a point not to come here.

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

That's great news! There, here's some helpful advice for your next sky-diving adventure:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 917AA97GSf

(sorry, couldn't resist :oops: )

windy

Post by windy »

Yay! Just tell your surgeon to stop blaming the victim! ;)

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Mykeru - You do know that folks are winding you up in the hopes that you'll lash out against PZ ... that they are hoping this and using you because they're all too weak to do anything themselves ... yes? Good. Carry on. Literally.