Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
deLurch

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by deLurch »

bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Bye, fucking neck brace!

(There still is a small fracture that hasn't healed completely yet, but the surgeon is willing to give it a chance. Other cool stuff: after my next visit in November, he may issue me a written approval for skydiving again!)
Don't do it man.

http://i.imgur.com/pXCA7Vv.png
With Phil's luck there would be a kiddy trampoline at the bottom of his next skydive. Not worth it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote: To summarize, I'd like people to write ... internet-active leaders (Harris and Dawkins) and ask that they publicly denounce Myers behavior.
For Dawkins, I'd narrow the focus to Ophelia's 2x doxxing of Skep tickle, for obvious reasons, and emphasis the very real risks atheists face from being involuntarily outed.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:As for my supposed hand-wringing, I'd settle for anyone advocating a version of "ends justify the means" managing to articulate a coherent notion of what the "ends" even are in this context.
How about just sending a clear message that there will in fact be a concerted effort to effect some kind of fucking consequences for despicable behavior that crosses well-established boundaries? How about just sending a clear message that future transgressions may be met with proportional or even escalating responses, the purpose of which is to provide a compelling reason for him to think twice before doing this kind of thing again.

I'm not interested in silencing him in any way. He can keep his shitty blog and continue to refer to himself as the fifth horseman for all I care. I just can't stand to see petty online bullshit be turned into real-life harassment and I think little Paul needs to be incentivized to not step over that line in the future.
So, endless tribal warfare? Hatfields and McCoys forever? It's okay when we do it because mom, they started it? I suppose that's a clear enough goal, though yes, I agree with those who say that if you want to claim to be "better" than lowlifes in some meaningful way, then you can't conveniently decide to break your own rules just to gain a temporary advantage or measure of revenge. I'm sure Peezus thinks he was likewise sending a clear message that he will escalate if provoked. Good luck with that.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

jet_lagg wrote:So, this is what I spent my evening doing. I'm not going to bother trying to convince anyone to follow along. We've all stated our points already. If you're convinced this course of action is the right one, I want to make it a bit easier for you.

To summarize, I'd like people to write Bill Nye and ask that he tell the University of Morris he does not want Myers involved in his upcoming event. I'd also like people to write to the two main, internet-active leaders (Harris and Dawkins) and ask that they publicly denounce Myers behavior. Finally, I think it's a good idea to write some prominent vloggers and ask them to both spread awareness of the events, and ask the subscribers who are willing to do their own letter writing.

Bill Nye:
bnsg@billnye.com

Sam Harris:
http://www.samharris.org/contact

Richard Dawkins: https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins
https://www.youtube.com/user/richarddawkinsdotnet/about
(perhaps I'm just confused, but his site doesn't seem to have a valid way to contact him on this matter)

The Amazing Atheist:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmazingAtheist/about

Thunderfoot:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t/about

Jaclyn Glenn:
https://www.youtube.com/user/JaclynGlenn/about

Also, if you want to sign that petition to get Watson (who, let's remember, contacted Skep Tickle's employer directly) booted from the Bay Area Science festival, that'd be cool :)

http://www.change.org/p/bay-area-scienc ... al-program
jet_lagg wrote:
Gumby wrote:Don't. This isn't 4chan (8chan? nChan?)

If people want to contact the people of their choice then whatever. But I'm not going to let this place become a clearinghouse of info intended to be used in a mass campaign against anyone - even Myers.

/moderator
Hear hear.
1. Alert sent ;)
2. You have an interesting way of not even bothering to try and convince anyone to go along with you :roll:
3. It's ok when you do it? :lol:

windy

Post by windy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote: Cavanaugh's post, to me, was a perfect encapsulation of the problem with any attempts to "broaden" our outreach: an incoherent mixture of serious criticisms and inside-joke trolling that looks stupid as hell to anyone not in on the joke (i.e., no one seriously thinks his dream of a classroom full of mermaids is a serious sign of sexual depravity, no one seriously thinks his clumsy attempt at risque onstage banter was serious sexual harassment of a woman, no one seriously thinks he got the clap, and presenting all these meta-ironic deconstructions of hypocrisy with the same straight-faced seriousness as the valid points just looks retarded to any casual reader).
I do consider his publishing of sex dreams about students unethical; his attempt at risque sexual banter to a stranger before a live audience in severely poor taste and, yes, sexist. I never seriously thought he caught the clap.

Most importantly, PZ thinks those sort of things are sexist, hence the hypocrisy. And, though PZ immediately declared the clap speculation preposterous and completely unbelievable - thus acknowledging it as a joke -- he was surely incensed by it, and felt justified in making a vicious attack against Skep tickle in retribution -- for a joke. Again, hypocrisy on PZ's part, for he has let fly a torrent of far more serious, and deadly earnest, insinuations, smears & accusations, without the slightest care how they might cause harm. He can dish it out but he can't take it.

I'm please that so many of you expressed your pleasure in reading my post. I don't mind others criticizing it. Tastes differ. I just want to emphasize that my purpose was not to indict PZ on a list of charges, rather to expose his hypocrisy -- hence the title, "PZ Myers' Glass House."

And honestly, if the broader opinion of whoever actually read my post, is that it's "incoherent","stupid", and filled with "inside jokes." then so much the better. Because then PZ's response to it appears all that much more out of proportion and indefensible. NB: I was writing for an audience of one.
Then who were you trying to "expose his hypocrisy" to? Yourself? PZ?

Your post got hammered (justifiably, IMO) by the hordelings and assorted fence-sitters on the Skeptischism Facebook page. There's no incentive to deal with the "meta" exposition of hypocrisy if the post can be so easily dismissed on a factual level.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

bovarchist wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Bye, fucking neck brace!

(There still is a small fracture that hasn't healed completely yet, but the surgeon is willing to give it a chance. Other cool stuff: after my next visit in November, he may issue me a written approval for skydiving again!)
That was for a medical condition? I thought it was just a cultural thing, like the Chinese with face masks. Fear of guillotines or something.
Liberté, egalité [fsssing] [thud] fatalité.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Mykeru wrote:
Zenspace wrote:
I missed the original backstory on the reason for the brace, but good to hear you are on the mend, Phil.
Phil injured his neck in a freak auto-fellatio accident.
Is there any other kind, Captain Redundo? ;)

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Is there even a point in debating this?

If some people don't want to cross a certain line or, as they say "stoop to their level", that's fine by me. I haven't been lectured about the wrongness of my ways here yet, so I think I'm pretty safe in assuming I can do as I like regarding this matter, as an individual.

And so should everybody else.
You absolutely can do what you want outside of the forum (as the slymepit has just a few small rules).

But people here can advocate & debate courses of actions from both the general readership and from individual actors. And anyone can pretty much dismiss those arguments and do what they want anyway.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:the mere concept of "PZ Commando"
Warning!

Do not click this link.

It is bad.

You will regret it

here it is

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Very saddened to learn that the subject of my avatar, Cigar, has died. His big brother was my favorite personal horse of all. I lost him a few years back, and this is making me miss my boy quite a bit.

I have a soft spot for off-the-track thoroughbreds -- they possess a special blend of cockiness, playfulness, confidence, and affection. If you've ever formed a lasting bond with a horse, been fully accepted by one, you all know where I'm at right now.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Ah hah! Now it all makes sense --- Gumby is ogvorbis!
How can you all not see it? Ogvorbis is Myers' alternate personality; the poor, helpless fractured man-child Smeagol to Myers' Gollum. I doubt Myers even knows it himself. The only hint is the occasional tear-stained rapey face that flashes in his mirror for a single frame.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

1. Alert sent ;)
2. You have an interesting way of not even bothering to try and convince anyone to go along with you :roll:
I've already explained the main difference between what you were advocating and what I'm advocating. I'll not be arsed to do it again. If Gumby thinks I'm crossing a line (and I don't think I am, as enough people have expressed an interest in writing to Nye, and others, that providing the emails in one spot seemed natural), they can redact my post.

Also, fuck you :hankey:

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Oops! My Bad!
But honestly ... it's a little sickening ...

http://i.imgur.com/SG8xxyv.jpg
https://archive.today/lmYfD

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

windy wrote: Your post got hammered (justifiably, IMO) by the hordelings and assorted fence-sitters on the Skeptischism Facebook page. There's no incentive to deal with the "meta" exposition of hypocrisy if the post can be so easily dismissed on a factual level.
Factually dismissible how? Where did I make an assertion that was not corroborated by PZ's own words?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Know what? Don't even bother.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Very saddened to learn that the subject of my avatar, Cigar, has died. His big brother was my favorite personal horse of all. I lost him a few years back, and this is making me miss my boy quite a bit.

I have a soft spot for off-the-track thoroughbreds -- they possess a special blend of cockiness, playfulness, confidence, and affection. If you've ever formed a lasting bond with a horse, been fully accepted by one, you all know where I'm at right now.
The second best part of paying for my daughter's horseback riding lessons was I got to hang around the horses too.
(The best part being her smiles of course.)

RIP Cigar.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
windy wrote: Your post got hammered (justifiably, IMO) by the hordelings and assorted fence-sitters on the Skeptischism Facebook page. There's no incentive to deal with the "meta" exposition of hypocrisy if the post can be so easily dismissed on a factual level.
Factually dismissible how? Where did I make an assertion that was not corroborated by PZ's own words?
I'm curious about that myself. The piece was over the top, but PZ actually did say all those things. What facts are easily dismissed?

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Mykeru wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Celebratory dinner was 39.99 euros. I'm that classy.
What's that in real money?
About a hand-job.

CuntajusRationality

Cliché Guevara wrote:So, endless tribal warfare? Hatfields and McCoys forever? It's okay when we do it because mom, they started it? I suppose that's a clear enough goal, though yes, I agree with those who say that if you want to claim to be "better" than lowlifes in some meaningful way, then you can't conveniently decide to break your own rules just to gain a temporary advantage or measure of revenge. I'm sure Peezus thinks he was likewise sending a clear message that he will escalate if provoked. Good luck with that.
Sometimes "they started it" is a perfectly legitimate and respectable justification - at least for those of us who actually care about social justice. ;)

But I certainly can't disagree with your point about the virtually limitless lulz that accompany the current blog-centric tactics. That, too, is a noble end goal.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/ori ... 53/184.jpg

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Tribble wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
John Greg wrote:And I do not, and cannot understand how becoming (even if only in part) that which you abhore is a good thing to do.
For the same reason you would consider it acceptable, upon sighting a spree shooter armed with a pistol, to pull out a pistol of your own and shoot him. Your goal is not to shoot people, but to stop further harm to people's lives.

OH SHIT, YOU JUST USED THE WEAPONS OF THE ENEMY!

:roll:
Bad analogy. You're comparing a life threatening situation with a social-change issue. Myers, et. al., need marginizlation. Acting like 4chan goons, or FTB goons, isn't going to do anything but satisfy your eye-for-an-eye-until-we're-all-blind need for revenge. There are other ways. And they work. And they work well.

They just take time.
I agree with this. The reason moral high-ground matters is because in an argument over ideas, the battle does not take place between the arguers; it takes place in the minds of the observers. Myers has never understood this. He's always been his own worst enemy because he thinks nothing of expressing himself in the most childish, assholey way possible, so -- what a surprise -- people have started to think he's an asshole. That's why it's important to be better: because that's what people will see, and that will make a difference in who they side with.

Not that I'm against childish insults and photoshops either. After all, another difference between the Pharyngulards and us is that they completely lack any sense of humor at all. What's up with that, anyway? They literally seem to think that humor is just a way for racists to say awful things and get away with it.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Okay, I think I'm out for the weekend. Wedding to go to.

Gumby, if you redact my post, I just want to say damn you doxbloxxer, damn you (though you're shaping up to be a fine fascist tit).

BlueShiftRhino, if you continue you conversation from Nugent's here, I just want you to know you're an ignorant slut.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

jet_lagg wrote:
1. Alert sent ;)
I've already explained the main difference between what you were advocating and what I'm advocating. I'll not be arsed to do it again. If Gumby thinks I'm crossing a line (and I don't think I am, as enough people have expressed an interest in writing to Nye, and others, that providing the emails in one spot seemed natural), they can redact my post.

I don't see anything wrong with this. I think there's a considerable difference between compiling a list of disparate individuals in the broader community and compiling a list of people in one college where Myers happens to work. (Not to pile on you, CuntJuice).

If I seem unlogic or contradictory here, sorry. We're kind of in uncharted waters as far as interpreting the Slymepit Constitution goes, and usually we Slymey Supreme Court Justices don't do much more than flick pubic hairs off of Coke cans around here. I'm kinda just going by best guesses as I go along. President Fascist Tit hasn't administered the electric shock keyboard punishment device yet, so I guess I'm all right for now.

With that, I'm off to bed. Now's the time to post my doxx, people. Make sure you spell my name correctly.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

JacquesCuze wrote:Oops! My Bad!

Ophelia Benson always finds a way to be a completely unclassy hag, even when she's notpologizing.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Case in point:

Really?

Post by Really? »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Here is a suggestion (on which comments are welcome): how about getting folks to write to Bill Nye in an attempt to make sure that PZ gains nothing from Bill Nye's visit to UMinn Morris on Oct 14th? I'm not suggesting that we ask Bill Nye not to give his talk - he would not agree and there is no reason to punish the UMinn Morris community as a whole. I'm suggesting that we make sure that PZ isn't the one doing the introduction, for example.

Note that I have no idea if PZ is scheduled to have anything to do with Bill Nye's visit. But I would not want the two of them linked and I would like Bill Nye to know that PZ is not respected.
I think Nye is already slightly aware of SJW, as he was bandied about as "handy" (in a grabby sense) during conferences, and the twats tweeted him about it. If he hasn't been made aware of the link between the Svanatee and Little Paul, it would be a good time to bring that whole thing to his attention.

Although I have doubts that Little Paul would do anything but whine about Bill Nye. Bill Nye is known and successful. Myer's is an abject failure, and he seems to be jealous of any person that has been a success.
I refined my suggestion (and just posted it on MN's blog): the goal is to get Bill Nye to specifically mention to UMinn Morris that he doesn't want PZ overtly involved in his visit. Thus, even if PZ wasn't scheduled to have anything to do with the visit, the point is still made that well-known folks from the Real World are not impressed by PZ and want to distance themselves from him. I would go so far as to suggest that folks ask Dawkins and Harris to pass along the suggestion to Bill Nye, as the latter is more likely to listen to them. I am also, in effect, using Bill Nye as a "filter" to separate our anger from those that need to be reached.
I love that idea, but do we think that Dawkins and/or Harris are sufficiently anti-PZ? Those jerks are so forgiving and calm and deliberate. Even Dawkins thought he could work with Heiroglyphics Vagina just a couple months ago.

CuntajusRationality

jet_lagg wrote:
1. Alert sent ;)

What's wrong, you didn't pick up the fact that my reply was made entirely in jest? Maybe it was because my messaging was intentionally vague...
:eabod:

CuntajusRationality

jet_lagg wrote:Okay, I think I'm out for the weekend. Wedding to go to.

Gumby, if you redact my post, I just want to say damn you doxbloxxer, damn you (though you're shaping up to be a fine fascist tit).

BlueShiftRhino, if you continue you conversation from Nugent's here, I just want you to know you're an ignorant slut.
Relax, I was not in any way serious. Have fun at the wedding, and good luck catching the bouquet.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Gumby wrote:Case in point:
I got a big word for Ophelia right here. "Exsanguinated". You like that, you dusty prune?

Really?

Post by Really? »

katamari Damassi wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
sinister wrote:You guys understand at UM Morris PZ has power over people future lives correct? You guys have segmented the world into rigid little boxes where no interaction can occur. Even though we have seen that just isn't so.
I'm listening. Walk me through the evidence that PZ uses his internet activities to support inappropriate behavior at work. In other words, connect the dots between his being a powerful e-shit to him actually abusing folks over whom he has power at work.
If he's tenured then he'd practically have to murder someone to lose his job.
Well, the whole he-said/she-said with a student that was never investigated complicates things. To paraphrase a genius, "Forget it, PZ. This is 'Gina town." As PZ would point out, college administrators don't do enough to protect female students from male predators on campus.

I am curious as to what would happen if the Twitter/stupid feminists caught wind of a professor who shut down an accuser in the way PZ did...and brags about it on his blog from time to time.

halophilic

Post by halophilic »

This is probably completely pointless, but my disgust for this post is immense.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5601/154 ... 9d45_o.png

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Matt's friend: "Matt, why the Sarah Jessica Parker?"

Matt: "Oh, a horse of mine just die- wait, what?"

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Really? wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote: If he's tenured then he'd practically have to murder someone to lose his job.
Well, the whole he-said/she-said with a student that was never investigated complicates things. To paraphrase a genius, "Forget it, PZ. This is 'Gina town." As PZ would point out, college administrators don't do enough to protect female students from male predators on campus.

I am curious as to what would happen if the Twitter/stupid feminists caught wind of a professor who shut down an accuser in the way PZ did...and brags about it on his blog from time to time.
Why thank you! :P

CuntajusRationality

Gumby wrote: I don't see anything wrong with this. I think there's a considerable difference between compiling a list of disparate individuals in the broader community and compiling a list of people in one college where Myers happens to work. (Not to pile on you, CuntJuice).

If I seem unlogic or contradictory here, sorry. We're kind of in uncharted waters as far as interpreting the Slymepit Constitution goes, and usually we Slymey Supreme Court Justices don't do much more than flick pubic hairs off of Coke cans around here. I'm kinda just going by best guesses as I go along. President Fascist Tit hasn't administered the electric shock keyboard punishment device yet, so I guess I'm all right for now.

With that, I'm off to bed. Now's the time to post my doxx, people. Make sure you spell my name correctly.
No, no, it all makes perfect sense. No compiling information from people who work at one place but yes to compiling information from people who work at different places. No to intentionally vague suggestions to send emails, but yes to explicit encouragement to write letters. Crystal clear.

:lol:

In all seriousness, I'm fine with the rules and I'm not calling for more debate, as I think it's already been had over the last several pages. I'm just having a little fun now pointing what I see as amusing little inconsistencies. The policies and moderators here are very fair and reasonable and I have no serious nits to pick with how the policies have been enforced.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Gumby wrote:

Ophelia Benson always finds a way to be a completely unclassy hag, even when she's notpologizing.
AHAHAHAHAHA! Here's another word for you, Ophelia. "Malicious." Ever heard that one, you dinghy old shyster? :teasing-nutkick:

http://media2.giphy.com/media/hsQiaCx9JyyeQ/giphy.gif

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

bovarchist wrote:
Gumby wrote:Case in point:
I got a big word for Ophelia right here. "Exsanguinated". You like that, you dusty prune?
Don't blame the exsanguinated. Tell Vampires not to vamp.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Okay, between the doxxing and this, I'm done.

Mykeru, or anyone else with a plan of action, let us know how best we can help with some net/IRL activities, and I am in. I don't know the most effective courses of action, so I am making this request out of ignorance, not a desire to blindly follow Myk Jung Un.

CuntajusRationality

Pitchguest wrote:
Gumby wrote:

AHAHAHAHAHA! Here's another word for you, Ophelia. "Malicious." Ever heard that one, you dinghy old shyster? :teasing-nutkick:

http://media2.giphy.com/media/hsQiaCx9JyyeQ/giphy.gif
Someone snuck by a nice little zinger in Benson's comments.
cumin wrote:I agree, she may have just lost her husband and all, but supporting #GamerGate? She’s obviously the scum of the Earth, especially if a one-sided wiki says it!
:lol: :clap:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Apples wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Relevant to your criticism perhaps but not a fair representation of my point or plan. But I don't think I"m going to get through to you on that one. (Hint the actual objective is to stop all doxxing.)
http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w1280/5N4xG5Y ... 2m3Epm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AW90Q9I.jpg

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Very saddened to learn that the subject of my avatar, Cigar, has died. His big brother was my favorite personal horse of all. I lost him a few years back, and this is making me miss my boy quite a bit.

I sold my horse trailer this week, and I'll be selling my truck back to my friends, who are moving two trailer-loads of horses to the West Coast. My one remaining horse is a 23-yo off-the-track TB mare, and I'm moving her from my friends' ranch, which is officially now the Most Depressing Place in Texas (OK maybe it's second to the Ebola-contaminated apartment in Dallas), to a boarding facility nearby. She's going to be pissed off that her paddock is a lot smaller at the new place, and we won't have lots of cool trails to ride on, where she can scrape me up against mesquite trees, pretend that small puddles are infested with crocodiles, spook at plastic bags caught on cacti, and fun things like that. It's the end of a phase in my life that I will look back on fondly and wistfully.

Really?

Post by Really? »

Tribble wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:You seriously don't see a difference between offence and reactive self defence.

Ok.

I do. But reactive self-defense in doxxing or trying to get people fired isn't the right course of action. The best way, IMO, is simply point out the hypocrisy and not let it slide. This is the time for the MLK approach, not the Joe McCarthy approach. Shame them with your dignity and the facts in places they don't control.

Let them continue to act like the toxic shitlords they are. Show their hypocrisy.

You won't convert the 'true believers' but people will see the difference.
Good point. We've been doing this for a few years, now. I'm sure that the shame-and-point-out-hypocrisy approach will totally start to work at some point in 2017!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Anyone seeing a pattern forming? From PZ North Star post.

http://i.imgur.com/Vg0DZWv.jpg

Really?

Post by Really? »

Zenspace wrote:
Casual Nemesis wrote:
Gumby wrote:
I would never stop cumming. Ever. I would drown in my own male tears as the room filled with my semen.
I still suspect that Oggy is nothing but a long-running POE troll. Something about his shtick just seems too 'cute' to me. He continually manages to cultivate victim points with them even though he has claimed to be guilty of one of their most egregious sins.
I'm waiting for Oggy to finally admit he is a long time mole and it turns out he is really Mykeru. :lol: :lol:

Southern

Post by Southern »

Really? wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:You seriously don't see a difference between offence and reactive self defence.

Ok.

I do. But reactive self-defense in doxxing or trying to get people fired isn't the right course of action. The best way, IMO, is simply point out the hypocrisy and not let it slide. This is the time for the MLK approach, not the Joe McCarthy approach. Shame them with your dignity and the facts in places they don't control.

Let them continue to act like the toxic shitlords they are. Show their hypocrisy.

You won't convert the 'true believers' but people will see the difference.
Good point. We've been doing this for a few years, now. I'm sure that the shame-and-point-out-hypocrisy approach will totally start to work at some point in 2017!
If you compare the PZ "quoted by Dawkins on his biggest book" to the PZ "I'll resort to rant on my blog"... it's working.

Matt's post seems to have been specially effective on stirring Pizz's shit. And it was a post mocking Pizz's growing irrelevance and creepiness. I would say this approach works, although doxxing may require something else. Who knows?

windy

Post by windy »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
"PZ Myers’ really enjoys rape fantasies involving young girls", for one. The evidence for this seems to be that one time he linked to a page with tentacle rape hentai. Potential example of hypocrisy but how does it corroborate "really enjoys rape fantasies involving young girls"?

Other assertions that also link to a single occurrence and claim it's a general pattern:
"Obsesses over shaved pubes"
"When confronted with an opponent in person, Myers more often than not just calls them an “idiot.”

Further:
"Only recently have saner minds convinced him to cease urging those he lustily bans to “shove a rotting porcupine up your ass.”

It was the commenters, not PZ, that reveled in the porcupine insults.

"Dawkins made Myers through his patronage"

Evidence for this?

"raising Petsmart fish in tanks in his classroom, watching & waiting for signs of non-darwinian evolution"

Where's this coming from? According to his post from last year he was planning to look for genetic components of behavior, ironically enough.

Or how about:
"Cuz everything I’ve read from you indicates that: 1) you enjoy confusing your students; 2) you know fuck all about evolution and biology"

He's said a few dumb things about sex differences, but come on. Take his anti-creationism posts for example.

And screw you for making me run around playing Damion with your silly-ass post. Some bits were good though.

Really?

Post by Really? »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:I'm working on my letter to Bill Nye now and thought it would be useful to mention that he was actually a target at one point. I need help sourcing that though. Can any of you historians point me in the right direction?
My letter only talks about PZ's own attacks (using misrepresentations) on well-known scientists and skeptics. I also admit to Bill that I'm biased and I'm hoping that he'll help the US A/S community by doing something during his visit, even if it's just not meeting with PZ. I purposefully do not bring up the attack by Zvan's husband on Bill because that wasn't done by PZ, himself, and requires the rather weak guilt-by-association and/or -inaction line. I simply provide a short summary of what PZ has done to folks that Bill will know (of) and then links, in case he wants more.

Piling on weak arguments can lower the impact of a letter, IMO. But that's just my opinion and suggestion.
Why in the fuck would Bill Nye--a dude who actually has shit going on in his life--want to meet with a lowlife who facilitated and encouraged by proxy the people labeling him as a sexual transgressor?

Really?

Post by Really? »

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....I almost shit my pants laughing, even if I think I disagree with you.

Hahahahaha././//....

Really?

Post by Really? »

Gumby wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Oh, just saw SkepTickle is posting there with her real name anyway. Guess if she doesn't care then I don't care.

TO ALL:

From here on out please don't post Skep Tickle's name here, in text or image form.

Thank you.
It's an Oafie trying to keep up with you prolific assholes, but I do want to take a brief moment to thank Gumby for s/h/it's hard work moderating this place. I probably don't agree 100% with you, but that's okay. You are doing great work and we're all thankful.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Jesus Christ, just now I noticed something. Do you guys know how I found the Pit? Because of franc's blog. And how I found franc's blog? Because of Ofie's incessant whinning on the comment section of the Ask an Atheist radio show, back in... what? 2010? 2011? I can't remember. Anyways, these guys from Seattle, I never went back to listen to their show after the Pit. And they tried to stay away from the Chism caused by Twatson, back then during the heights of Elevatorgate. I went to their site and... apparently they were off commercial radio for the last 4 years, but they're coming back. Wow, that's a long journey.

The point I'm trying to make is, Ofie is a disingenuos, babbling, decrepit twat. But if it was not for her, who knows if I would be able to find the Slymepit and look to all those shit gifs and goatses and all that? So thanks Ofie. And even as a old, semi-cadaverous person, you still can make me laugh by commiting a serious gaffe about someone else's loss and double down on it. You're amazing for a prototype mummy, that's what I'm trying to say.

I wonder if I should email her this post? Because I'm feeling nostalgic and I think I should thank her for everything before she bites the dust. It's coming anytime, anytime now....

ConcentratedH2O, OM

windy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
"PZ Myers’ really enjoys rape fantasies involving young girls", for one. The evidence for this seems to be that one time he linked to a page with tentacle rape hentai. Potential example of hypocrisy but how does it corroborate "really enjoys rape fantasies involving young girls"?

Other assertions that also link to a single occurrence and claim it's a general pattern:
*snip*

Further:
"Only recently have saner minds convinced him to cease urging those he lustily bans to “shove a rotting porcupine up your ass.”

*snip*
I'm not commenting on your other points, but on this you are completely wrong.

At one time, Meyers's guidelines for posting on his blog contained a rule which read something very like "If you (some beavior), The Horde will take pleasure in offering you a porcupine and inviting you to shove it up your nether regions".

It's been documented many times here.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Really? wrote:
Gumby wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:Oh, just saw SkepTickle is posting there with her real name anyway. Guess if she doesn't care then I don't care.

TO ALL:

From here on out please don't post Skep Tickle's name here, in text or image form.

Thank you.
It's an Oafie trying to keep up with you prolific assholes, but I do want to take a brief moment to thank Gumby for s/h/it's hard work moderating this place. I probably don't agree 100% with you, but that's okay. You are doing great work and we're all thankful.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Southern

Post by Southern »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Indeed. You may argue that Matt interpreted PZ's words on the worst light possible (And That's Terrible! As terrible as stealing forty cakes!), but he linked them to the original source and context. If you bash someone for something they say and you provide the links and context to what they said, I think you did your job, factually speaking.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
windy wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: Factually dismissible how? Where did I make an assertion that was not corroborated by PZ's own words?

*snip*

Further:

*snip*

At one time, Meyers's guidelines for posting on his blog contained a rule which read something very like "If you (some beavior), The Horde will take pleasure in offering you a porcupine and inviting you to shove it up your nether regions".

Sorry, I was lazy and did not do a very simple search of The Pit archive. His quote is:
This is a rude blog. We like to argue — heck, we like a loud angry brawl. Don’t waste time whining at anyone that they’re not nice, because this gang will take pride in that and rhetorically hand you a rotting porcupine and tell you to stuff it up your nether orifice. If you intrude here and violate any of the previous three mores, people won’t like you, and they won’t hold back—they’ll tell you so, probably in colorful terms.
http://web.archive.org/web/201112042222 ... -practices

viewtopic.php?p=217912#p217912

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

http://i.imgur.com/Oxrfvtf.jpg

=

[youtube]kU9-TKRkaUw[/youtube]

?

windy

Post by windy »

windy wrote: Further:

*snip*

---

Sorry, I was lazy and did not do a very simple search of The Pit archive. His quote is:
This is a rude blog. We like to argue — heck, we like a loud angry brawl. Don’t waste time whining at anyone that they’re not nice, because this gang will take pride in that and rhetorically hand you a rotting porcupine and tell you to stuff it up your nether orifice. If you intrude here and violate any of the previous three mores, people won’t like you, and they won’t hold back—they’ll tell you so, probably in colorful terms.
That's consistent with what I said. The Horde was handing out the rotting porcupines, Matt claims PZ was doing the urging personally.

windy

Post by windy »

Southern wrote: Indeed. You may argue that Matt interpreted PZ's words on the worst light possible (And That's Terrible! As terrible as stealing forty cakes!), but he linked them to the original source and context. If you bash someone for something they say and you provide the links and context to what they said, I think you did your job, factually speaking.
Was PZ, factually speaking, correct to argue that Skep committed a "gross breach of medical ethics", as long as he provided the original source and context?

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

windy wrote:
windy wrote: Further:

*snip*

---

That's consistent with what I said. The Horde was handing out the rotting porcupines, Matt claims PZ was doing the urging personally.
I've been enjoying Crossbones, the one season then canceled pirate show with John Malkovich. I'd encourage you to watch episode 2 where we learn the Pirate Blackbeard is current leader of what seems to be an anarcho-syndicalist commune new sort of democracy where he is certainly not the King. He is only once voice among many. And though he is personally against it, when the rest of the people vote to kill one of his former friends (who is now an enemy after an assassination attempt on Blackbeard), he is forced to go along with their wishes and let this man be hung.

A spoiler filled recap with the kicker in the second to last paragraph:
http://community.ew.com/2014/06/06/cros ... rate-envy/

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Gumby wrote:
sinister wrote: Yes going mental. Jesus, don't stoop to their level, unless I am doing it, then I can be a telepath! I can impugn your arugumets by making them "mental" and "angry."
I am not upset people disagree, I am upset they are doing so in a dishonest way. One doesn't have to be angry or mental to disagree with you. One doesn't have to be emotional to defend their position. So, why don't you sit your sanctimonious self-refuting ass down and work out the internal logic of berating someones tactics using the tactics you claim they shouldn't be using.
I'm not even angry about your post! I just follow along with your escalation of rhetoric. Hell, the only reason I am responding here is once again, dishonesty.
Since people disagree with you, that automatically means they're doing it dishonestly. Right. Got it. Your reasoning is fucking pristine. What a fucking moron.
Ok, stop. What you're doing is really strange.

If you visibly display a double standard when interpreting things people say, it must be concluded that you're doing it alongside a personal/ideological agenda. And that means, you deliberately distort what was said to whatever degree you think is neccessary to enable you to come to a predetermined conclusion about it. There is no other word for this conduct than "dishonest".

We've all done this to a certain extent when scorning the #FTBullies, bc after all, this is the Pit. We love ourselves some good bigotry.
What makes you act as if you were oblivious to that?

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

JacquesCuze wrote:
I've been enjoying Crossbones, the one season then canceled pirate show with John Malkovich. I'd encourage you to watch episode 2 where we learn the Pirate Blackbeard is current leader of what seems to be an anarcho-syndicalist commune new sort of democracy where he is certainly not the King. He is only once voice among many. And though he is personally against it, when the rest of the people vote to kill one of his former friends (who is now an enemy after an assassination attempt on Blackbeard), he is forced to go along with their wishes and let this man be hung.

A spoiler filled recap with the kicker in the second to last paragraph:
http://community.ew.com/2014/06/06/cros ... rate-envy/
Just to finish it off without spoiling it (the spoiler is still interesting), the killing of the former friend against Blackbeard's wishes thus proves to everyone that Blackbeard is not a King.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

The Anti-Watson petition is up to 337. Not bad.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Brive1987 wrote:The Anti-Watson petition is up to 337. Not bad.
Indeed. I was surprised so many ppl are speaking out against a prominent victimhood feminist.