Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Scented Nectar

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Scented Nectar »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Just keep reminding yourself that hot-flashes are nature's way of saying "those young 'uns who won't wear condoms are now fair game."
No way! There's still AIDS out there....
If that's your worry, then keep shifting younger until they're squeaky clean or you're baby-sitting with Oggie, whichever cums first.
Yuck! I can't and wouldn't want to. Even Phil and his enormous pants-stretcher is too young looking for me. Mind you, these days menopause means that even men closer to my own age are safe from my lecherous ways. :D

Some years ago, I knew a guy who would try every so often to talk me into no condom. He was in his 40s - so I don't think it's just the young hating condoms. Said he was vasectomized, recently tested for STDs, etc. It's not a good idea to believe that sort of thing, unless you literally trust the person with your life.

Gone are the late 70s when all I had to be on was the pill. Before AIDS became such a risk.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:"Teach FtB not to Doxx."

Catchy slogan.
Worked with rape, yes?
Exactly.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

sinister wrote:Don't know if they are going to learn anything. Today, I am making my case to any media outlet I think will tell this story. Right-wing, left-wing, christian, libertarian, maybe even small town news papers. You want people to know about PZ, now some people will. Oh, and your cries for no employee contacts are met! I bet this is bad somehow, I can't wait to hear why.

Also, thanks everyone for the freezepages, etc.
Make sure you get/sign up for those free games, asshole.

piero

Post by piero »

sinister wrote:You guys are aware crackers aren't people right? You have freaking lost all sense of what has happened when you think blasphemy and hurting people are equivilant. My guess, you guys do know this, but hey, as long as you feel good about doing nothing, any rationale is a good one.
Yes, we know that. Crackergate was brought up as an example of what does and does not work. And nobody is suggesting that we should do nothing: we are suggesting that we do effective things bearing in mind that the important objective is winning people over to the rational side of the A/S movement. This can more easily achieved by exposing the hive mentality and the unethical behaviour of the lunatic side. Think of A+; how well did they fare? What's the point of relinquishing the moral high ground in order to stab a corpse?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Another Lurker:

I caught Space Hack from one of your earlier free game batches. I haven't tried it yet. I'm still working on Lego LOTR, and also trying to build an actual space hulk in orbit with KSP.

Busy, busy, busy...

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

sinister wrote:Don't know if they are going to learn anything. Today, I am making my case to any media outlet I think will tell this story. Right-wing, left-wing, christian, libertarian, maybe even small town news papers. You want people to know about PZ, now some people will. Oh, and your cries for no employee contacts are met! I bet this is bad somehow, I can't wait to hear why.

http://i.imgur.com/FTVUjmI.jpg

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Brive1987 wrote:Dick, would you change your mind if someone else copped it? How about a doxx a day? What if it was you?

When does this become an actionable affront?

Remembering my whole point here is the question "what exactly will it take to stop this behaviour?" - assuming of course we are not all like Windy and happy (on principle) to roll with the punches.

I cannot recall such an egregious cold blooded doxxing call to arms from FtB before. Ever.

:think:
lol.

I think Aneris with her low-key, fact-based and well-documented approach at Nugent's place has done Myers more harm in the community than every raging asshole since Bill Donohue and Crackergate combined. And I say that because for all the raging and threats and legal actions NOT A FUCKING THING HAS EVEN SLOWED HIM DOWN.

The biggest thing UMM did was make him take his employer stuff off his old SEED HOSTED blog all those years ago since what he's doing isn't part of his teaching duties. That's it. The big victory of Bill Donohue and Catholic League. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

And since then, UMM has done NOTHING. Even when he attacked free speech on the UMM campus regarding the Morris North Star.

So I think Middle-school revenge fantasies and hyperbole aren't going to win the day. Just keep pointing out what a dick Myers and the Skepchicks are and maybe you'll get somewhere. But even if you get nowhere, at least you won't be feeding into the 'victim/martyr narrative' he cultivates and end up HELPING HIM with your actions.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Brive1987 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:"Teach FtB not to Doxx."

Catchy slogan.
Worked with rape, yes?
Exactly.
So, if I'm following the analogy, we threaten to dox them back, just like we threaten to rape rapists?

Wait, I think I missed a step or something.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jet_lagg wrote:So, this is what I spent my evening doing. I'm not going to bother trying to convince anyone to follow along. We've all stated our points already. If you're convinced this course of action is the right one, I want to make it a bit easier for you.

To summarize, I'd like people to write Bill Nye and ask that he tell the University of Morris he does not want Myers involved in his upcoming event. I'd also like people to write to the two main, internet-active leaders (Harris and Dawkins) and ask that they publicly denounce Myers behavior. Finally, I think it's a good idea to write some prominent vloggers and ask them to both spread awareness of the events, and ask the subscribers who are willing to do their own letter writing.

Bill Nye:
bnsg@billnye.com

Sam Harris:
http://www.samharris.org/contact

Richard Dawkins: https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins
https://www.youtube.com/user/richarddawkinsdotnet/about
(perhaps I'm just confused, but his site doesn't seem to have a valid way to contact him on this matter)

The Amazing Atheist:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheAmazingAtheist/about

Thunderfoot:
https://www.youtube.com/user/Thunderf00t/about

Jaclyn Glenn:
https://www.youtube.com/user/JaclynGlenn/about

Also, if you want to sign that petition to get Watson (who, let's remember, contacted Skep Tickle's employer directly) booted from the Bay Area Science festival, that'd be cool :)

http://www.change.org/p/bay-area-scienc ... al-program
That's all going too far. I'm sure all those people are already aware of Myers' bullshit, and they can choose for themselves to what extent they want to get involved. Asking them to publicly denounce someone seems pointless. Also, it's like the sort of thing that the ftb'ers do - an out of proportion beseeching to their cause or something like that.

sinister

Post by sinister »

another lurker wrote:

Make sure you get/sign up for those free games, asshole.
LOL, I was skyping last night, I can multi-task! Don't ableist slur my ADHD!

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Personally, I find your arguments not convincing and your "it's my way or the highway" attitude just a wee bit annoying.

Still, I wish you good luck.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

An arrow to the knee should do it.

(Queue clowns implying I threatened to shoot an arrow in Myers' knee. According to some master archer here, I'm shit at shooting arrows from even 15 meters, so a fucking ocean might be a bit of a hindrance on my aim.)

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Also, one hour to departure for the mountains :dance: :dance: :dance:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

sinister wrote:You guys are aware crackers aren't people right? You have freaking lost all sense of what has happened when you think blasphemy and hurting people are equivilant. My guess, you guys do know this, but hey, as long as you feel good about doing nothing, any rationale is a good one.
We're aware of it. And UNLIKE YOU, we recognize that the actions of Bill Donohue and The Catholic League INCREASED MYERS SUPPORT DUE TO THEIR DICK MOVES.

So, go ahead, act like a goddamn middle-schooler with your impotent revenge fantasies and Skeptickle-white-knighting (which she has NOT asked for) so you feed into his (Myers') victim martyr narrative, which he will surely exploit, and thus strengthening him within the A/S by eroding the moral-high-ground cachet of his opponents.

Bottom-line is Myers stepped over the fucking line and you're hell bent, based on your actions, on turning him into a sympathetic victim instead of a creepy doxxer.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Where I will shoot arrows, obviously.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Also, one hour to departure for the mountains :dance: :dance: :dance:
Rememberyou promised videos! I took a screenshot, shitlord!

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

I am not a fan of telling people how they should or shouldn't respond. Been there, done that with atheism already. For me, it seems fairly straight forward that having as many different voices as possible is better than having only a few voices all saying the same thing. YMMV and that's cool but I am glad we have in your face hard asses here. I am also glad we have polite debaters too. Anyway I don't buy into the notion that one can not act like those they fight against. Sometimes a good dose of "how does that feel when it's done to you" is exactly what's needed.

/carry on

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:An arrow to the knee should do it.

(Queue clowns implying I threatened to shoot an arrow in Myers' knee. According to some master archer here, I'm shit at shooting arrows from even 15 meters, so a fucking ocean might be a bit of a hindrance on my aim.)
I dunno; according to some master rhetoricians here, it meets the technical definition of honesty to claim "Phil Giordana threatened to shoot us all in the knee with an arrow," as long as they quote your literal words and provide a link to your comment (knowing full well most people won't bother to check).

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Glad you got your brace off, Phil.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

They will not 'learn' anything. These are zealots incapable of seeing what they're doing as 'wrong' and adjusting their behavior. They will simply use what you do, like all religious fanatics, as a way of confirming they're right and that they're being persecuted for bringing 'truth to the world.'
A martyr (Greek: μάρτυς, mártys, "witness"; stem μάρτυρ-, mártyr-) is somebody who suffers persecution and death for advocating, renouncing, refusing to renounce, and/or refusing to advocate a belief or cause, usually a religious one. Most martyrs are considered holy or are respected by their followers, becoming a symbol of good leadership and heroism.
Since we cannot change the past, we must let Skeptickle be the martyr in this situation. You're hell bent on taking the focus away from her martyrdom over a stupid-joke through your white-knighting and turning Myers back into a martyr. Which was one of the lessons of Crackergate.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

sinister wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Also, one hour to departure for the mountains :dance: :dance: :dance:
Rememberyou promised videos! I took a screenshot, shitlord!
If my phone decides to work, you shall have them.

(I have a Samsung Wave, and it hasn't been able to connect with my new PC, except for charging. I have to use Ali's computer, then send the pics/vids to myself via email or Skype. Anyone knows of a fix? I run Windows 8.1)

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I'm kind of on the side that wants to play it cool. One thing Nugent has taught me is to recognize a misstep when it happens, and trust other people to know it too. Be assured that Myers made a big one in his petulant and impulsive rage doxx. The wheels of Karma turn slowly, but they do turn.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:No, I think you are wrong on that one. Just put it in parallel to his over-grandiose feminists stances, then see if it works. Hint: it will work.
There's a tired old cliche about two wrongs not making a right.

It won't do anything beyond keeping the clock ticking over. PZs grandiloquent feminism wouldn't work in a vacuum - the only reason such stuff "works" (and I don't think it always does, regard the declining mentions of Schrodinger's Rapist as just one of dozens of examples of feminists sensibly retreating from the stuff that doesn't stick) is that the category "feminists" have enough precedent, enough numbers and enough momentum to use the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" tactic. First and Second Wave Feminists won important battles, so their heirs are always going to be able to benefit from a legacy of arguments justly won.

However, despite these advantages it isn't really working for PZ, because despite his apparent belief that he's representative of a synthesis between feminism and atheism he commands no real influence in either sphere and what he has is waning. Do any feminists outside of the FtB/Skepchick circle cite him as influential? I'm unaware of any. I perceive his influence to be shrinking as a result of his tactics.

He's ballsing up with the tactics of misrepresentation and hyperbole, they won't work for you because:

a) They don't work.
b) The only reason they were even looking like working for PZ and his ilk is because they had precedent/numbers/momentum you lack.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Anyone can play the way they want. The gloves are off. I will not for one second take a dislike to anyone here not agreeing with a more offensive response.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Really? wrote:
Tribble wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:You seriously don't see a difference between offence and reactive self defence.

Ok.

I do. But reactive self-defense in doxxing or trying to get people fired isn't the right course of action. The best way, IMO, is simply point out the hypocrisy and not let it slide. This is the time for the MLK approach, not the Joe McCarthy approach. Shame them with your dignity and the facts in places they don't control.

Let them continue to act like the toxic shitlords they are. Show their hypocrisy.

You won't convert the 'true believers' but people will see the difference.
Good point. We've been doing this for a few years, now. I'm sure that the shame-and-point-out-hypocrisy approach will totally start to work at some point in 2017!

Whereas acting like a trollish-asshole in neutral areas has only made people cry 'a pox on both their houses.' Or, even worse, has been used by Myers, Watson, etc., as FUEL FOR THEIR "I'M A VICTIM" narrative that gets them into places like Salon, SciAm, etc. as 'poor souls being persecuted.' Professional victims know how to use attacks and twist them. And the truth so many of us have learned is that nothing of the 'attack like a bunch of assholes' has ever worked and has tended to strengthen Myers, et.al. through reinforcing their 'persecuted for the truth' message.

To make an analogy -- martial arts -- it's kind of like the difference between Shorin-Ryu and Akido. When I was a tournament fighter, hard-style guys (like Shotokan, Shorin-Ryu, etc.) were easy. Big, strong attacks I could block and counter-punch. But those Akido fuckers were really hard as they took my strong attacks and used them against me. So I had to learn to be patient, feint and get them to make mistakes. Else I'd lose.

That's what Myers does when you come on all gang-busters. He takes your attack, it doesn't harm him, he uses it against you. You look like a stupid troll. Game over, you've lost.

OTOH, Coyne pushes back. Brink it up on his blog. Nugent is pushing back. Bring it up on his blog. Find other blogs and decry the shitty behavior. Just shit on his reputation as a man who is more than happy to try to destroy the real-life work of a woman because she makes an off-color joke.

Over-time, he become a pariah and looses most, but never all, his audience and influence just like every other asshole moral crusader that steps over the line. But it's not a short game or one for people who can't delay gratification.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Dave2 wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:No, I think you are wrong on that one. Just put it in parallel to his over-grandiose feminists stances, then see if it works. Hint: it will work.
There's a tired old cliche about two wrongs not making a right.

It won't do anything beyond keeping the clock ticking over. PZs grandiloquent feminism wouldn't work in a vacuum - the only reason such stuff "works" (and I don't think it always does, regard the declining mentions of Schrodinger's Rapist as just one of dozens of examples of feminists sensibly retreating from the stuff that doesn't stick) is that the category "feminists" have enough precedent, enough numbers and enough momentum to use the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" tactic. First and Second Wave Feminists won important battles, so their heirs are always going to be able to benefit from a legacy of arguments justly won.

However, despite these advantages it isn't really working for PZ, because despite his apparent belief that he's representative of a synthesis between feminism and atheism he commands no real influence in either sphere and what he has is waning. Do any feminists outside of the FtB/Skepchick circle cite him as influential? I'm unaware of any. I perceive his influence to be shrinking as a result of his tactics.

He's ballsing up with the tactics of misrepresentation and hyperbole, they won't work for you because:

a) They don't work.
b) The only reason they were even looking like working for PZ and his ilk is because they had precedent/numbers/momentum you lack.
Look, it just happens to be satisfying to vent-out one's frustrations once in a while. I know it's done me some good lately. Really, I think I couldn't give less of a fuck about Myers and acolytes. I said my piece, it stays here.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Look, it just happens to be satisfying to vent-out one's frustrations once in a while. I know it's done me some good lately. Really, I think I couldn't give less of a fuck about Myers and acolytes. I said my piece, it stays here.
Yes, you get to say things and other people get to say things. That is tautological.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Cliché Guevara wrote:
So, if I'm following the analogy, we threaten to dox them back, just like we threaten to rape rapists?

Yes you did. "Don't fight back, teach FtB not to doxx" is as inane as the origin quote.

It's funny. When Skeptickle got doxxed just after someone commented in another context 'dis her and you dis the pit' I actually thought we might as a community actually, oh I don't know, do something about it to ensure it never happens again.

Instead I have never seen so many rainbow coloured business as usual farts ejected in all my life.

This is not just another day in the schism wars. This is a personal RL attack on someone VIP around here that has now set a precedent we all live under.

My suggestion may have been brutally to the point, but hey when you want FtB to listen you have to talk in FtBese. And for the record the suggestion wasn't to doxx anyone in retaliation for this outrage. It was to lay down a clear cause and effect that placed future doxxing into a clear outcomes perspective.

Fine. You don't like that. You don't think it will work. Too squeamish for an equivilant reaction to what is being dished out by FtB. Great. I said it had to be a consensus to work. Chuck it out the window.

So tell me guys.

When Skeptickle can bear to return here. If Skeptickle comes back. What solutions have you got to the unasked question "will this happen to me again?"

A wall of words at Nugents is the wrong answer.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Give me Matt Cavanugh's style over Nugent's any day.
He's a nice bloke but his blog is as compelling as the ingredients list on a jar of honey

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Tentacle rape connoisseur Biology Professor Paul Myers
Tentacle rape enthusiast PZ Myers
Tentacle rape loving biology professor Paul Myers
Tentacle rape PZ Myers, Morris Minnesota
PZ "Tentacle Rape" Myers
You know who is obsessed with tentacle Rape Porn? PZ Myers.

SEO experts? pls advise how we can get this Project Santorum up and running.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Snapfingers wrote:Tentacle rape connoisseur Biology Professor Paul Myers
PZ "Tentacle Rape" Myers

Best limerick so far!

sinister

Post by sinister »

Brive1987 wrote:It's funny. When Skeptickle got doxxed just after someone commented in another context 'dis her and you dis the pit' I actually thought we might as a community actually, oh I don't know, do something about it to ensure it never happens again.

Instead I have never seen so many rainbow coloured business as usual farts ejected in all my life.
I notice, now even bringing attention to the matter isn't a good idea, because Crackergate. I don't think there is a plan. It's fucking sniping from the sidelines. Like citizens who don't vote but bitch about the government.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Kirbmarc wrote:Some SJW woo (courtesy of a link tweeted by Miri):
There’s nothing intrinsically male about XY chromosomes, testosterone, body hair, muscle mass or penises. If an alien civilization found earth, they wouldn’t look at a person with a penis and say “Oh, that must be a male, sex based on genitalia is the One Universal Constant.” Sex, like gender, is indeed socially constructed and can be changed.
Yep, a penis, XY chromosomes, testosterone, body hair, breasts, they're all social constructs. Cocks go away if people stop believing in them. Tits disappear enough people don't like them.

Fortunately, other SJW seem to live in reality:
Do you know how biological sex is determined to exist as a concept, in species other than our own? Biologists take a huge swath of the population, indiscriminate of any factors other than their belonging to that species, and survey for three things: physical characteristics, chromosomes, and genes on those chromosomes.

If the statistics of that analysis bring about two populations, the species is said to be “sexually dimorphic.” This is the case with humans. If you look at the extant 7 billion humans, 99.8% of them would have XX or XY chromosomal identities at birth, and also at birth, those XX and XY chromosomal identities would correlate with physical characteristics like genital appearance, gene expression, and so on.

And then modern medicine uses those two groups, “Male” and “Female” to identify how humans of each class will more likely respond to certain medications, whether they can get pregnant, whether they should develop this way or that way physically over time. If they don’t develop as a typical member of their class does (physically) they might have a disease based on aberrant gene expression, that could lead to tumor growth, early death, mental illness, etc.

But what about the other 0.2%? They have XXY, or monosomy X, or XYY, or XXX, or possible gene expression disorders, or other conditions that cause their biological sex to be more difficult to determine.

Doctors will offer the parents of these children cosmetic surgery, hormone therapy, and other techniques to modify their physiology such that their bodies will resemble one or the other sex. This is offered because androgyny can come with health problems, including gonadal tumors and other issues. Refusing this care is fine, and its the parents choice, since the baby is not yet old enough to consent. It’s merely an attempt to create a better and more hospitable life for the child, due to our current societal shortcomings.

But the existence of this 0.2% doesn’t negate the fact that statistically significant dimorphic sexes exist in humans.

I don’t think YOU understand biology very well.
:clap:
Has Miri banned this harasser yet?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Fuck off (in the best possible way) Pitters! I'm off to the mountains. Se you sunday evening.

Dave

Post by Dave »

Nahh, go for the skillshot to the head:

[youtube]ZecpAR-uDSc[/youtube]

sinister

Post by sinister »

PZ "Tentacle Rape" Myers

So in SEO, you want this to work the other way:
PZ Myers ...
- likes tentacle rape
- sleeps with tentacles
- obsessed with tentacle rape
- etc.
As most search terms are going to start with the subject. :geek:

Snapfingers

Post by Snapfingers »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
PZ "Tentacle Rape" Myers

Best limerick so far!
Thanks, not that hard. The secret is making the first, second and 5th line rhyme. And the 3 and 4.
Like uhmmm:
un tentacule
dans le cule

katamari Damassi

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Fuck off (in the best possible way) Pitters! I'm off to the mountains. Se you sunday evening.
Have fun! Try not to break anything.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

A forum member"s RL pain and a Sword of Damocles is the cross we have to bear for pit civility so Nugent keeps liking us.

Got it.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Brive1987 wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:

Yes you did. "Don't fight back, teach FtB not to doxx" is as inane as the origin quote.

It's funny. When Skeptickle got doxxed just after someone commented in another context 'dis her and you dis the pit' I actually thought we might as a community actually, oh I don't know, do something about it to ensure it never happens again.

This is not just another day in the schism wars. This is a personal RL attack on someone VIP around here that has now set a precedent we all live under.

My suggestion may have been brutally to the point, but hey when you want FtB to listen you have to talk in FtBese. And for the record the suggestion wasn't to doxx anyone in retaliation for this outrage. It was to lay down a clear cause and effect that placed future doxxing into a clear outcomes perspective.

Fine. You don't like that. You don't think it will work. Too squeamish for an equivilant reaction to what is being dished out by FtB. Great. I said it had to be a consensus to work. Chuck it out the window.

So tell me guys.

When Skeptickle can bear to return here. If Skeptickle comes back. What solutions have you got to the unasked question "will this happen to me again?"

A wall of words at Nugents is the wrong answer.
Personally, I'm still waiting to get a sense of whether the hardliners here ultimately want to take an eye for an eye, win the hearts and minds of the wider community, or embody a distinctly better alternative.

You seem to assume that your retaliation will be the decisive blow that forces them to wise up and back off. They likely assume the same about you. It seems to be part of the tribal warfare template. Why should I believe you're not just likewise rationalizing your desire to get revenge?

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Give me Matt Cavanugh's style over Nugent's any day.
He's a nice bloke but his blog is as compelling as the ingredients list on a jar of honey
Wow I didn't know honey contained 0% fat! Yeah I googled it. I was bored.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
I never saw anything of interest in that movie. Come to think of it, I never saw anything of interest in any Coen Brothers movie. Not funny, not insightful, full of grandstanding. Oh, ok, that might be it.
Says the guy in a country where Jerry Lewis is considered a genius.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Revenge? The proposal was to try and find something that would make their steamroller pause.

If you read it again you will see I'm very clear - don't put an explicit threat blatantly in the anti doxxing manifesto, but privately communicate we are serious. The logic there is they can huff and puff - but they have permission to stop doxxing without looking like they are backing down from a direct threat.

For all the bullshit directed my way, I did actually put some thought into this.

I also have a plan B which is even more conciliatory - though Zvan's astute (sic) summary makes this unlikely.

So take your tribal revenge and file it where it belongs.

:)

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Tribble wrote:He had to remove his UMM employer references from Pharyngula. That was in the days of him being hosted by SEED (before it changed its name to SciBlogs). That's been the sole action UMM has taken over all these years on all the horseshit he's pulled.
Yes, but note what he did in particular. When your employer says "don't associate us with your hobbies" you can remove any mention of your employer or you can leave the reference to your employer and append a "this doesn't have anything to do with the company I just mentioned a sentence ago." The latter is technically sufficient, but dickish. Even more, the main two reasons that folk take the diskish route (i.e., add a disclaimer) are (a) pride - as in: they didn't like being told what to do, so they did something dickish while obeying the order - and (b) self-promotion - as in: they still want the veneer provided by the name of the employer, so they leave the mention in place and add the required disclaimer knowing full well that they'll still get the veneer even with the disclaimer.

Whether PZ was following option (a) or (b) or both is beyond me. I don't really care. What matters to me is that he chose to continue to mention UMinn Morris on his Twitter and blog. And choices have consequences.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Brive1987 wrote:A forum member"s RL pain and a Sword of Damocles is the cross we have to bear for pit civility so Nugent keeps liking us.

Got it.
Could you possibly be more melodramatic? I'm starting to believe that you are just as big an attention whore as Myers himself with your appeals to emotion, ridiculous rhetoric and twisting and/or disregard of facts.

This is the 'pit. It is not a community. If you want to get something done, just do it, but don't expect universal approval, ffs.

And quite frankly, would a "The Slymepit approves of this action" stamp make any difference?

And if you're so concerned about Skep, have you actually asked her what she wants?

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Quick, Bat Signal. Write a quick erudite Nugent post.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

The above reminded me of what I found to be the funniest piece in Reno 911:
[youtube]5gs2VYL-3RI[/youtube]

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Eskarina wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:A forum member"s RL pain and a Sword of Damocles is the cross we have to bear for pit civility so Nugent keeps liking us.

Got it.
Could you possibly be more melodramatic? I'm starting to believe that you are just as big an attention whore as Myers himself with your appeals to emotion, ridiculous rhetoric and twisting and/or disregard of facts.

This is the 'pit. It is not a community. If you want to get something done, just do it, but don't expect universal approval, ffs.

And quite frankly, would a "The Slymepit approves of this action" stamp make any difference?

And if you're so concerned about Skep, have you actually asked her what she wants?
Logic doesn't work. Call to emotion doesn't work. Maybe it's just your brain. I'm pissed off because this is actually a community and your failure to realise it is, well simply your failure.

And yes collective action would be better than individual action. But duh. You seem keen in others actions, so yes I've sent my wishes to Skep with a grateful reply. Maybe you could fucking do something positive as well.

But you're right about one thing. Time to stop trying to electro-shock this patient back to life. To bed.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Brive1987 wrote:
Eskarina wrote:Could you possibly be more melodramatic? I'm starting to believe that you are just as big an attention whore as Myers himself with your appeals to emotion, ridiculous rhetoric and twisting and/or disregard of facts.

Logic doesn't work. Call to emotion doesn't work. Maybe it's just your brain. I'm pissed off because this is actually a community and your failure to realise it is, well simply your failure.

And yes collective action would be better than individual action. But duh. You seem keen in others actions, so yes I've sent my wishes to Skep with a grateful reply. Maybe you could fucking do something positive as well.

But you're right about one thing. Time to stop trying to electro-shock this patient back to life. To bed.
http://i.imgur.com/keoUGeI.jpg

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

I don't have any issue with the actions that an individual might take if they feel outraged but some of the melodramatic reactions here astound me and seem practically identical to the kind of emotion drenched pathetic "us or them" ranting that victim-feminists peddle. To me it's not a case of a moral high-ground but of choosing your battles wisely, having a coherent strategy and bullet-proof tactics in order that don't just turn you into that which you criticise.

I still say Myers and Benson and the rest of FtB are digging their own grave. They are becoming increasingly marginalised and I cannot think of anything anyone would do that would accelerate it, however I think pandering to their victim narrative by attacking them is more likely to increase sympathy from those allies they have left as well as from those who have little understanding of what's actually being going on.

We have seen time after time that victim feminists LOVE an attack, probably concoct them too because they have friends in social and digital media who will jump at the chance to use such "harassment" as evidence of misogyny etc. Also did it ever occur to anyone that his antics might be an attempt to get fired and bring a lawsuit against UMM? To increase his notoriety that way? "Feminist professor fired for standing up to misogynist trolls."

If anyone can think of something that might work I'll be all ears but currently PZombie is like Teflon and since he's a lying duplicitous little shit I cannot see anything suggested that will make him change his actions. For Christ's sake, he accused Michael Shermer of Rape based on hearsay and nothing came of that, do you really think he is worried about a reaction to doxxing Skep Tickle?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I Wake Up And Prepare My First Meal Of The Day.
By Michael Nugent.

Hello. I'm Michael Nugent, Chairman of Atheist Ireland.
This morning I woke up at 07:01 on Friday the 10th of October 2014 from a sleep of 8 hours 13 minutes.
After leaving my bed, left leg first, I performed my daily ablutions in the bathroom I own.
I then went down the stairs of my house, using the bannister for support, and made my way into the kitchen which is also in my house but downstairs.
After ascertaining there was sufficient water in the kettle with which to make a cup of tea I used the power switch to heat the liquid within to boiling point.
While waiting for the water to boil I removed two slices of Kingsmill Wholewheat bread which I had bought previously from a branch of Tesco near the house I live in. I also bought a number of other items that day along with the bread.
I placed these two slices of bread in the toaster. The toaster is an electric machine I used to turn bread into "toast". Due to numerous experimentation with the toaster I have established that works with both brown and white bread.
I then clicked a switch at the side of the toaster which engaged the bread and performed it's transformation into toast.

My kettle has a whistling function which alerts me when the water has reached a sufficient temperature with which to make tea or freeze dried coffee. This temperature of water (circa 100 degrees Celsius) can also be used to make powdered soups and possibly Horlicks malt drink but the latter has yet to be determined with sufficient experimentation.
Upon hearing the whistle (and whilst the bread was engaged in the toaster) I picked up a porcelain white cup with an enamel veneer. This would be the crucible in which I created my hot beverage.
I added a "tea bag" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_bag and one semi-heaped teaspoon of white granulated cane sugar to the cup. I bought the sugar along with the bread but the tea bags and the cup were purchased on a previous separate excursions from both Asda and Homebase respectively.
Once the ingredients were added to the cup I proceeded to use my right hand to pick up the kettle and pour sufficient liquid from it into the cup thus creating the drinkable infusion known as tea.

As I performed this my toaster's automatic expulsion mechanic audibly expelled the bread upwards alerting me to the fact that the bread had become toast.
I removed the "toasts" from the machine and laid them on a white porcelain plate (also purchased from Homebase but on a separate occasion from the purchase of the cup) and proceeded to apply Lurpak butter (Tesco) to them using a flat bladed stainless steel "butter knife" (Homebase) of roughly 7 inches in length.
I added roughly 2 scrapes of butter to the topside of each slice of toast and placed the used knife into a kitchen sink I own. This knife along with all other breakfast accoutrements would be washed some time in the future.

Thank you for reading. I'm Michael Nugent, Chairman of Atheist Ireland. Please read my blog's commenting policy carefully before leaving any written remarks or opinions.

Read more by Michael Nugent:

How I Assimilated The First Meal Of The Day

How I Digested The First Meal Of The Day

How I Excreted The First Meal Of The Day

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Pagancat wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:Give me Matt Cavanugh's style over Nugent's any day.
Wow I didn't know honey contained 0% fat! Yeah I googled it. I was bored.
I googled it too before I left that comment :P

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Cliché Guevara wrote:Personally, I'm still waiting to get a sense of whether the hardliners here ultimately want to take an eye for an eye, win the hearts and minds of the wider community, or embody a distinctly better alternative.

You seem to assume that your retaliation will be the decisive blow that forces them to wise up and back off. They likely assume the same about you. It seems to be part of the tribal warfare template. Why should I believe you're not just likewise rationalizing your desire to get revenge?
I didn't reply to you yesterday, because I had no real response. I could not actually disagree with your depressing prognosis. But today, I'll try.

Assume that the goal is the removal of FTB nastiness and hypocrisy from the internet/conference A/S community. Trying to convert the masses seems unlikely to work, as they out-number the rational (at least in terms of who posts, etc) and you'd have to overcome too much dissonance to get through. Trying to work through organizers seems unlikely to work for pretty much the same reason. Trying to hurt or threaten them IRL is generally inappropriate and likely to backfire. So the only thing that I could come up with was trying to work through well-known "elites" (such as Dawkins, NdGT, Harris, and Nye). That would likely be a slow and difficult process, and require a calmness that is hard to maintain, but that's all I have.

If you have a criticism of this approach, I'd like to hear it now. If you have an alternative, I'd like to hear that, too. You've done the easy and fun part - as in: rag on what some people have suggested. Please do the harder part with us, now, too.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:

The above reminded me of what I found to be the funniest piece in Reno 911:
[youtube]5gs2VYL-3RI[/youtube]
Reno911 is one of my favorite shows. I also adore Drawn Together, which was like pit humour in cartoon format.

I still have to watch Arrested Development.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

Could someone who knows more than me answer a question? Going over clap-fatty's latest post about the horrible, evil, racist school newpaper The Minnesota North Star, I find this:
Reginald Selkirk
9 October 2014 at 3:08 pm
You know what else is public information?
The UM-Morris personnel directory. A search for [name redacted] only turns up two people, and one can be reasonably ruled out because it is a middle name. And it lists an e-mail address for the other one.
And the UM-Morris Student Organization Directory. The entry for The Morris NorthStar lists two [name redacted], one as Editor-in-Chief and the other as Publisher. There is also a [name redacted] listed as Managin(sic) Editor. Once again, e-mail addresses are listed for two of those.
(names redacted by me, better safe than sorry. also, I try to not be a festering dickhole just because I'm anonymous)

IANAL, so I was just curious if these named people would have any sort of case against either the university or the esteemed professor from any harassment caused by his internet bullshittery.

John D

Post by John D »

piero wrote:
bovarchist wrote:The reason moral high-ground matters is because in an argument over ideas, the battle does not take place between the arguers; it takes place in the minds of the observers. Myers has never understood this. He's always been his own worst enemy because he thinks nothing of expressing himself in the most childish, assholey way possible, so -- what a surprise -- people have started to think he's an asshole. That's why it's important to be better: because that's what people will see, and that will make a difference in who they side with.

Not that I'm against childish insults and photoshops either. After all, another difference between the Pharyngulards and us is that they completely lack any sense of humor at all. What's up with that, anyway? They literally seem to think that humor is just a way for racists to say awful things and get away with it.
(My emphasis) This is the essential point, I think. Slymepitters and FTBers initially had this in common: a desire for a truly secular society. That fight is still on, and is more important than scoring points against scumbags. Even if complaints against Myers had any effect, that would not help Skep Tickle, and slymepitters would be perceived by outside observers as the moral equivalent of the assorted Myers, Bensons and Watsons.

If all the energy is diverted to internal strife, the A/S movement risks becoming irrelevant to society at large. Tit for tat is immediately gratifying but, like children, we should learn to forgo immediate pleasure for the sake of a greater satisfaction in the long run. Our essential aims should always be associated with a rational, ethical and coherent conduct.
I will explain why fighting against the PZs, Watsons, A+ers, etc., matters.

1) For the most part, I am reasonably happy with the legal system and ethical decisions of most of my neighbors. This includes most Christians I know. Most people have a decent sense of justice in America in my opinion. ( can give many examples if you wish for me to go on)

2) My goal has always been to get my fellow Americans to just see that atheists are regular people. We are not perfect, but we are certainly not evil. If most people realized atheists are just regular folks I would be very happy.

3) The SJWs are trying to claim that ALL atheists are just like them. This is entirely false and it goes against my goals. My fellow Americans look at folks like Becci and PZ and they see closeted communists. And... you know what... they are correct. Becci and PZ are basically communists. They have their own religion. It does great harm when they are the ones getting invited to speak and conferences and get interview by the media. Their ideas are mostly toxic and wrong.

It is very important to my goals to discredit these lunatics.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Going after someone for what's called "incitement to harassment" is up there with using a lance against windmills. Not recommended unless it's really, really clear.

Post by Guest »

feralandproud wrote:Could someone who knows more than me answer a question? Going over clap-fatty's latest post about the horrible, evil, racist school newpaper The Minnesota North Star, I find this:
Reginald Selkirk
9 October 2014 at 3:08 pm
You know what else is public information?
The UM-Morris personnel directory. A search for [name redacted] only turns up two people, and one can be reasonably ruled out because it is a middle name. And it lists an e-mail address for the other one.
And the UM-Morris Student Organization Directory. The entry for The Morris NorthStar lists two [name redacted], one as Editor-in-Chief and the other as Publisher. There is also a [name redacted] listed as Managin(sic) Editor. Once again, e-mail addresses are listed for two of those.
(names redacted by me, better safe than sorry. also, I try to not be a festering dickhole just because I'm anonymous)

IANAL, so I was just curious if these named people would have any sort of case against either the university or the esteemed professor from any harassment caused by his internet bullshittery.
You know what else is public information? PZ's student mermaid fantasy. It would be interesting to see the impact on his course registration numbers if all those "rate my professor" sites included a link to it in his reviews.

I suppose that would be considered "harassment" by the SJWs, if done to PZ. With anyone else, of course, it would be "naming names and exposing misogyny and objectification of women."

katamari Damassi

Brive1987 wrote:The Anti-Watson petition is up to 337. Not bad.
I signed it yesterday afternoon, even though I think it's an exercise in futility.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

I have a question:

Has any of the whored spoken against the doxxing?

Anyone? Even a smidgen?