Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
another lurker

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by another lurker »

James Caruthers wrote:
another lurker wrote:You're all sluts.
Glootz for the slootz, ya sloot.

Damnit, I spelled 'sloot' wrong, with a u. Sigh. I don't deserve to be a pitter. :cry:

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Brive1987 wrote:
It appears Skep thought it was just an FtB bread crumb doxxing. Now it appears there was inter-network collusion.

Could someone please compose a short limerick to deal with this. Thanks in advance. /snark.

There once was a Slymepit 'boarder
Who wanted limericks to be shorter.

Southern

Post by Southern »

John Greg wrote:Eskarina said:
And if you're so concerned about Skep, have you actually asked her what she wants?
Brive The Super Agent of Right said:
... yes I've sent my wishes to Skep with a grateful reply.
One of these things is not like the other.

Jesus Brive, reel it in a bit would you? I mean, at least try for some semblance of sense and intelligence. I know you have it in you.

As a few people have now said, yes, you are free to do whatever the fuck you want in regard to this mess, but please stop lecturing the rest of us on what is and is not the ONLY WAY TO CORRECTLY BEHAVE! I mean, seriously, just fuck right off with your god damned pompous my way or the highway; us or them, bullshit rage tears. It is fucking tiresome; fucking tiresome.

And, to repeat what has already been said, why don't you ask Skep if she actually wants you to carry out this fucking jihad of yours, or not. Not a sympathy fucking note, you raging dissembler, but an actual "Are you comfortable with me carrying out this personal jihad on your behalf" kind of a note.
Well, it may not be exactly on her behalf, but it may have consequences for her, anyways, so please, people, ask Skeptickle first. Just to clear if it won't cause any problems.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Could someone please compose a short limerick to deal with this. Thanks in advance. /snark.
This ought to get them quaking in their birkenstocks:

The FtB, as if to dare us
Opens A+ admin files to harass
Violate their own props
Parsing tight the word 'doxx'
Making lots of fresh grist for Aneris

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

fuzzy wrote:
This ought to get them quaking in their birkenstocks:

The FtB, as if to dare us
Opens A+ admin files to harass
Violate their own props
Parsing tight the word 'doxx'
Making lots of fresh grist for Aneris
FtB, Skepchick and A+,
Are all just one thing to many of us,
With their tricks and their schemes,
And many failed memes,
The world sees them just as a bag o' puss.

Southern

Post by Southern »

JacquesCuze wrote:
Wordpress IS a doxing technology, especially when you realize that if you use the same email address at different wordpress sites, wordpress is putting an MD5 hash of your email address into every web page you comment on.
No problem, that's super safe, since a MD5 hash could not be broken before Hell froze, or about... fifteen minutes?!

(Well, it's not the same thing as reversing MD5, but... why the fuck MD5? This thing is obsolete since I started programming professionally back in 2004).

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

another lurker wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
CaptainFluffyBunny wrote: Fuck you for putting that song in my head.

Now fill in the rest of the lyrics. Chop chop.
I see teeth so clean, a red tongue too,
I see them bite, at me and you,
And I think to myself, what a dangerous cunt.

I see a hole so dark, no trace of light,
Waiting for cock, black as midnight,

The gnashing of teeth, so violent and crude,
They'll bite your face off, if in the mood,
I see men shaking hands, saying how do you do,
No please I insist, after you.

I hear grown men crying, trapped deep inside,
What once seemed exciting, was not worth the ride,
Yes I think to myself, what a dangerous cunt.
I just want you to know, CH20, that when I think of 'cunt', I think of you. You use the word so frequently, that the association automatically springs to mind. Not even sacha, with c for cunt, can cuntpete. I know you wanna be :cdc:,but, this is how I feel, and you will just have to take it like the cunt you are.
My enormous cispenis thanks you for thinking of me when you see the word "cunt". That four letter word is edgy, dangerous, insulting, taboo, beyond-all-that-is-decent, unutterable, scary, rude, intimidating, Medieval, glorious, historied, and provocative.

Just like me. Thank you.

CuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCunt
CuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCunt
CuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntCuntokay I'm bored of holding those keyboard buttons down.

Southern

Post by Southern »

And that's why you don't register with your real name or email on anything online. No, not even then Pit, since while Fascist Tit may never doxx anyone, the Pit could still leak due to software bugs or something (like Thimbledick being hired by the hosting company as "IT Secutiry Consultant"). And that's because I'm live in another continent and PZ Myers, the tentacle rape hentai enthusiast & Friends would probably try to doxx me in Spanish, the racist fuckers. You could imagine how well I would hide my tracks if I lived in Murika.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Southern wrote:And that's why you don't register with your real name or email on anything online. No, not even then Pit, since while Fascist Tit may never doxx anyone, the Pit could still leak due to software bugs or something (like Thimbledick being hired by the hosting company as "IT Secutiry Consultant"). And that's because I'm live in another continent and PZ Myers, the tentacle rape hentai enthusiast & Friends would probably try to doxx me in Spanish, the racist fuckers. You could imagine how well I would hide my tracks if I lived in Murika.
I agree.

I learned to lie on the internet and lie often from an early age.

There are some absolutely monstrous assholes out there, as we've seen. I'd rather get in legal trouble for putting fake info down than have my dox spread like a glute-lusting sloot on leg day.

http://148bcec7bb334341cd98-2fb779bd12e ... b4ff62.jpg

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

fuzzy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Is this star thing happening. Or should I put away my cheque book?
You may have missed Spike's earlier post:
Spike13 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:58 pm • [Post 52599]
Anyone interested in being part of the fun and games, PM me.

I'll compile a list and keep everyone up dated.
Sorry everyone,

Was off the radar for a little while.(I had a date)

I believe everyone who PM'd me to this point has now gotten a reply.

Anyone else who wishes to join in just PM me.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

So in the last few pages aside from the "will we" "won't we" debate I've seen some interesting and possibly useful suggestions. Advertising, good way to go imo. "Prof Myers, Feminist who bullies and sexually harrasses women." in the local papers might help. If nothing else it will "raise awareness" in his local community as to what a little shit he is. Also, let's not forget the gamergate tactic, complaints to whomever is responsible for advert on FtB might be more useful, since it provides revenue.

The Data protection act is taken quite seriously here in the U.K. and I'm sure there must be a U.S. equivalent. Secondly, what does FtB's FUA say about privacy, if anything? Is there anything actionable there?

These are quite interesting avenues of response. Also I'm not one for discounting convenient allies and Myers has pissed off so many people over the years that if people are serious about a response it might be useful to attempt outreach to all the groups he has ranted about and infuriated.

Has anyone contacted those gamergate youtube guys? Sargon, I think?

It might also be time to stop going to FtB, just so you can rant here about it here, I'm sure that some folks here make up a considerable proportion of his dwindling audience and I don't think there is anything any of them can say that would surprise any of us.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

JacquesCuze wrote: ...I am not a lawyer and this was a half-assed 5 minute search, but I do wonder if Xanthe just opened itself and Atheism Plus to a lawsuit from Skep Tickle as well as possible civil and criminal penalties...
No, on account of the first rule of litigation being "never sue someone who doesn't have any money".

I don't know Skep all that well but I seriously doubt she'd have much use for an out-of-court settlement composed of the complete works of Andrea Dworkin and a half dozen pairs of hipster glasses.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Richard Dworkins wrote: It might also be time to stop going to FtB, just so you can rant here about it here, I'm sure that some folks here make up a considerable proportion of his dwindling audience and I don't think there is anything any of them can say that would surprise any of us.
The lunacy on display in that place has provided me with many hours of high quality entertainment. I feel just a little bit sad that they appear to have become stuck in a rut and have not come up with anything new and exciting recently.

Oh well. I suppose all good things come to an end eventually?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Damn it's hard to keep up around here. Jumping ahead 5 pages with a couple of thoughts.

First, Phil, I'm so glad to hear you got your neck br...

Oops. Shit. Almost said something medical.

Phil, I hope you have a great weekend with unicorns & rainbows, and think twice about skydiving, hunh? If you do decide to take it up again, please wear a parachute. Thanks.

Second, thanks to everyone for the moral support. I'm fine, mostly just very busy with work - shhhhhh! don't tell anyone I work. Just a normal scheduling thing that happens a couple times a year, almost 3 week stretch of work w/o any days off. Also, I'm aware that everything I post could be under increased scrutiny, more so now than later, until the next roast-Skep-tickle round comes along. But, hey, soon someone else will be Witch of the Week - pretty much guaranteed. And in the mean time, Myers has the opportunity to acknowledge my apology-tweet. Or not.

My 2 cents, and that's just what it is, is that noone should take any particular action or approach specifically because of the grenade launched at me, but instead tuck that episode into the already-bulging folder of examples of problematic behavior, then consider that entire folder, or all the contents illustrating one theme or another that particularly concern you, as motivation &/or source material. The main specific focus that might be helpful is continuing to remind him & everyone that he hasn't yet replied to Mick Nugent.

Further opinion, obviously YMMV and this is worth what you paid for it: Educational material & analysis presented w/o hyperbole (Nugent's & Aneris' approach) and humor are likely to be the most effective approaches at reaching observers & those open to changing their mind, for those interested in that goal.

In that vein, BlueShiftRhino: :lol: :clap: :lol: :clap: @ that transcript.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Yikes!
Skeptickle killed the pit,

Very quiet tonight... Too quiet.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Spike13 wrote:Yikes!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/313f5492ee1 ... o1_500.jpg

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

John Greg wrote:Eskarina said:
And if you're so concerned about Skep, have you actually asked her what she wants?
Brive The Super Agent of Right said:
... yes I've sent my wishes to Skep with a grateful reply.
One of these things is not like the other.

Jesus Brive, reel it in a bit would you? I mean, at least try for some semblance of sense and intelligence. I know you have it in you.

As a few people have now said, yes, you are free to do whatever the fuck you want in regard to this mess, but please stop lecturing the rest of us on what is and is not the ONLY WAY TO CORRECTLY BEHAVE! I mean, seriously, just fuck right off with your god damned pompous my way or the highway; us or them, bullshit rage tears. It is fucking tiresome; fucking tiresome.

And, to repeat what has already been said, why don't you ask Skep if she actually wants you to carry out this fucking jihad of yours, or not. Not a sympathy fucking note, you raging dissembler, but an actual "Are you comfortable with me carrying out this personal jihad on your behalf" kind of a note.
God John, I missed this till now. :lol:

I'll do it in extended bullet point form.

I find the irony in you yelling at me to stop telling others how to behave almost poetic. It was beautiful.

My way/highway? Bwhahahah. The only thing I've expressed as self evident objective truth it's that we have to do something other than BAU. Changing circumstances, new threats, raised tempo and all that. I made a considered suggestion, a rarity here, but where are my demands that you all must fall into my line? All I've done is defend the logic of my effort from subjective criticism.

Skep has already thanked everyone - post manifesto - for the "considered" responses. So fuck you. But yeah it was typical of the mood yesterday that you would fully throw the decision and initiative back to someone already dealing with self imposed censorship. That's also fucked. And where did the assumption come from that I'd act without talking to her - projection maybe?

But when you do push her for direction, given her RL circumstances, she will have no option but to fart her own rainbow effort out for public consumption.

But I guess that's what you are really waiting for.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

bovarchist wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
It appears Skep thought it was just an FtB bread crumb doxxing. Now it appears there was inter-network collusion.

There once was a Slymepit 'boarder
Who wanted limericks to be shorter.
:clap:

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

James Caruthers wrote:
Spike13 wrote:Yikes!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/313f5492ee1 ... o1_500.jpg
After the news of the Sayrville NJ high school football team.

I find that image quite triggering. :hand:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

I'm grumpy because nobody knew it was my birthday saw I passed 3000 wonderful posts.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Brive1987 wrote:I'm grumpy because nobody knew it was my birthday saw I passed 3000 wonderful posts.
Congratulations!

May you make 3000 more!

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Brive1987 wrote:I'm grumpy because nobody knew it was my birthday saw I passed 3000 wonderful posts.
Happy birthday! And posts. And whatever. And it's okay-no, positively required-to be grumpy. This is the pit, after all.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Thanks. :)

Here is another addendum from Xanthe on doxxing. This time a comment from Zvan's post on Damion and my own vileness.
The same fallacious reasoning (repeat a lie often enough, it becomes true) is being applied to the idea that “docs have been dropped” on [skeptickle]. Again, a flimsily protected pseudonym backed up by an e-mail address such as firstname.lastname @ blah.com is not a successful means of quarantining on-line and off-line identities. When I was a moderator over at the A+ forums we kicked out ‘skip teckle’ and ‘skep tickle’ for trolling, so we had a good idea of who we were dealing with all the way back then, and what her real name was as well as her position in the “community” as a Seattle-based skeptic. Instead the new lie will be, “PZ/Skepchicks doxxed Skep tickle!!!1!” Good luck with that.
Again, from the FtB perspective unless your name has to be hacked from behind a password or decoded somehow, it's fair game.

So not only do we pursue a separate moral high ground of no doxxing, we also have a very different and higher standard of base comprehension of the term. It's ironic that the public source of information available on Ogvorbis and Spokesgay et al, doesn't rise to their own definition of doxx. Even though it extends to photos, employment and all the other things that are traditionally and quite rightly considered forbidden.

You could bet that definition would change in a hurry ..... lucky for them the rule is the Pit doesn't doxx.

But what tossers.

Satan

Post by Satan »

Richard Dworkins wrote:The Data protection act is taken quite seriously here in the U.K. and I'm sure there must be a U.S. equivalent.
There's no equivalent. The US is one of the very few advanced countries with no effective legal protections for personal information.

Immanuel K

Post by Immanuel K »

Brive1987 wrote:
Somebody should do something about it.

Waz up Dox?

I guess it´s rather predictable
To rhyme about Doctor Skep Tickle
But Brive told me to, what else could i do
To prove i´m no Doctor Dolittle

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

:) I'll smile now.

5mins till my Chinese take away is ready helps to!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Post by guest »

Anyone attending the Australian Skeptics Convention or any SGU event coming up soon?

Here's a question for the Novellas of the Skeptic's Guide To The Universe about their Occ The Caveman series (sersly)

OVER-FUNDED AND UNDER-DELIVERED:
* http://sguforums.com/index.php?topic=42832.0
*http://lutonaut.wordpress.com/2012/10/2 ... ilm-review - review of the crap first episode

Since when does $32,827 raised for a shit webseries go unnoticed and uncriticised, when they don't hit their deadlines or meet their kickstarter goals?

The skeptical cult tradition has to stop. Money for nothing and cheques for free.

How much of this money is going on their shitty lawyer fees for being sued for mouthing off without thinking?

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

strayling wrote:Will Watson still be welcomed on the SGU podcasts? Novella tries to avoid this sort of drama I know, but there are limits.
Some think she's got something on the group that keeps them from dumping her. Jay (long ago) even did the internet tough guy act on someone insulting Watson, though he backtracked really fast when called on it. They may just be friends and willing to overlook anything for that, even to their detriment. On the other hand, they have gone and done things without her when she had her boycott at Tam, I think.

Still, it would be interesting to see if he (or they) support her actions. The standard you walk past and all that... :popcorn:

Richard Dworkins

Satan wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:The Data protection act is taken quite seriously here in the U.K. and I'm sure there must be a U.S. equivalent.
There's no equivalent. The US is one of the very few advanced countries with no effective legal protections for personal information.
Ah, I did not know that and it seems not just odd but almost unbelievable (not that I am accusing you of fabrication). However a contract is a contract (I do know the U.S. loves its contract laws) and as such if FtB has anything suggesting that a person's details will be kept private within their FUA, then perhaps some lawyers advice might be useful.

Richard Dworkins

Satan wrote:
Ah, I did not know that and it seems not just odd but almost unbelievable (not that I am accusing you of fabrication). However a contract is a contract (I do know the U.S. loves its contract laws) and as such if FtB has anything suggesting that a person's details will be kept private within their FUA, then perhaps some lawyers advice might be useful.

Badger3k

Post by Badger3k »

guest wrote:Anyone attending the Australian Skeptics Convention or any SGU event coming up soon?

Here's a question for the Novellas of the Skeptic's Guide To The Universe about their Occ The Caveman series (sersly)

OVER-FUNDED AND UNDER-DELIVERED:
* http://sguforums.com/index.php?topic=42832.0
*http://lutonaut.wordpress.com/2012/10/2 ... ilm-review - review of the crap first episode

Since when does $32,827 raised for a shit webseries go unnoticed and uncriticised, when they don't hit their deadlines or meet their kickstarter goals?

The skeptical cult tradition has to stop. Money for nothing and cheques for free.

How much of this money is going on their shitty lawyer fees for being sued for mouthing off without thinking?
Wow - at least Sarkeesian released something. Last update was almost a year ago? What the hell are the 723 donors doing? Did they forget?

I found a kickstarter for someone making braille polyhedron dice and inquired about a set - it was too late to donate. I got an email back almost immediately (this was during normal hours, not my usual) and a link to where I could get on an email list for when she starts producing them. This was a lot smaller, and I didn't even donate, but...wtf....it does seem to look like Skeptics are a bit...unthinking....with their money. No wonder these grifters keep advertising for donations. Why work when you have idiots willing to give you money for nothing, although the skepchicks definitely aren't free - the bar tab alone would bankrupt a small nation.

Richard Dworkins

Brive1987 wrote:Thanks. :)

Here is another addendum from Xanthe on doxxing. This time a comment from Zvan's post on Damion and my own vileness.
The same fallacious reasoning (repeat a lie often enough, it becomes true) is being applied to the idea that “docs have been dropped” on [skeptickle]. Again, a flimsily protected pseudonym backed up by an e-mail address such as firstname.lastname @ blah.com is not a successful means of quarantining on-line and off-line identities. When I was a moderator over at the A+ forums we kicked out ‘skip teckle’ and ‘skep tickle’ for trolling, so we had a good idea of who we were dealing with all the way back then, and what her real name was as well as her position in the “community” as a Seattle-based skeptic. Instead the new lie will be, “PZ/Skepchicks doxxed Skep tickle!!!1!” Good luck with that.
Again, from the FtB perspective unless your name has to be hacked from behind a password or decoded somehow, it's fair game.

So not only do we pursue a separate moral high ground of no doxxing, we also have a very different and higher standard of base comprehension of the term. It's ironic that the public source of information available on Ogvorbis and Spokesgay et al, doesn't rise to their own definition of doxx. Even though it extends to photos, employment and all the other things that are traditionally and quite rightly considered forbidden.

You could bet that definition would change in a hurry ..... lucky for them the rule is the Pit doesn't doxx.

But what tossers.
Well if that is not doxxing, then why were they so upset at Justin Vacula revealing Amy Roth's publicly available address? Oh that's right because they are a deluded cult of Hypocrites.

I wonder how easy it would be to get Zvan's information. Don't worry Pit I have no intention of pursuing that line nor exposing her but I assume she would be shitting herself if her information was well known by her opponents.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

TheMudbrooker wrote:Uh, no Mykeru, this is how it went down. My original post in its entirety:
TheMudbrooker wrote:There's been a lot of talk lately about trying to get PZ fired from his job, but this is absolutely the wrong tack to take.

If you really want to fuck PZ over, we should be lobbying to get him promoted.

At best the worst that would happen if the UofM decided to get rid of PZ is he would be given early retirement, most likely with full benefits in exchange for not appealing the decision. But at this stage of his career the highest he would be promoted would be some low-level adminitrative job. Think about it, instead of his current position where he works a few hours a day, a few days a week with student assistants to do the bulk of his grunt work and has summers off, a promotion would land PZ behind a desk 9-5, five days a week, year around. That would cause PZ some genuine pain.

You took the first line of what was nothing more than a bit of snark and chose to interpret it as a "brave stand against what no one proposed in the first place" and left the rest of the context behind.

No. That was a different post. I wasn't responding to that post. I was responding to that post I quoted. See how that works?
When I asked you what effect you expect contacting PZ's employer would have you responded with ever more edited and distorted versions of what I said.
You're right, I suck at this. I argue honestly.
I have to hand it to you, what you've done is a fantastic technique for dodging a question on a forum, after all, who's gonna page back and check to see if you're quoting or quote mining? It's a game I can't possibly win, you're far too skilled, and I concede the match.
That doesn't mean I can't still ask you to answer my question. Mykeru, you are far too intelligent to expect anyone to believe you'd take an action without some idea of its effect or what your desired outcome is. So once again I'll ask you straight out:

What effect do you expect contacting and encouging others to contact PZ's employers to have?

This time around, please answer or flat-out refuse to answer. Show enough courage to quit dodging.
Oh dear. Let me put an end to your "answer the question" tantrum and explain it to you like you're six years old, because you are.

People who work in a professional capacity know that there's a lot of stuff in your excluded middle between nothing happening and getting fired. For someone in P.Z. Meyers position, where academic freedom is protected by making it virtually impossible to fire someone for cause, aiming to get someone fired isn't even a realistic goal. I can't think of anything that would get someone in that position fired except for egregious criminal activity and that not because the university would punish moral turpitude, but because it's kind of hard for someone to make classes from the slammer.

Within any professional capacity there's due process that has to be followed I could explain how that would work for me, for example, but giving the assholes who read this forum a road map would be third in line in my to-do list behind cleaning a loaded gun and moonwalking in traffic.

Realistically, if the university found out P.Z. was making 10 daily shit-posts using the university computers and network access the worst that would happen, the absolute worst, would be for them to give him a mild, tut-tutting reminder of their acceptable use policy.

So no, dipshit, no one is trying to "get P.Z. fired". It isn't anything like a realistic goal even if someone was enough of a shit to make that their goal in the first place. Your insistence that that is the goal is merely an attempt to drag others down to your level of dumbfuckery.

The goal is to embarrass Myers, at best by the university giving him some tut-tutting reminder of the standards for professional behavior he should be following. And for a puffed up little fish in an even littler pond, that is a realistic goal. He's a thin-skinned little potentate who likes to tell others what to do and so embarrassing him is not only realistic, but it's easy and fun.

The point in embarrassing him, and having the university take note of his being a massive dick on the internet, is to perhaps make him think twice before harming people by being a massive dick.

I never "encouraged others" unless you count leading by example.

Okay, your turn where you continue to insist I'm following whatever bullshit narrative is rolling around with the rocks in your head.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Immanuel K wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:
Somebody should do something about it.

Waz up Dox?

I guess it´s rather predictable
To rhyme about Doctor Skep Tickle
But Brive told me to, what else could i do
To prove i´m no Doctor Dolittle

Your best yet, Immanuel Kan.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

But what tossers.
Xanthe is lying. There is no "Skip Teckle" on the member list. When they ban someone, they keep the member info and just list them as "Banned User".

FWIW.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Or to clarify, the words "Banned User" appear in the member's info line in the member list, along with their nym.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

Gefan wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote: ...I am not a lawyer and this was a half-assed 5 minute search, but I do wonder if Xanthe just opened itself and Atheism Plus to a lawsuit from Skep Tickle as well as possible civil and criminal penalties...
No, on account of the first rule of litigation being "never sue someone who doesn't have any money".

I don't know Skep all that well but I seriously doubt she'd have much use for an out-of-court settlement composed of the complete works of Andrea Dworkin and a half dozen pairs of hipster glasses.
With the UK Data Protection Act, you don't need to sue anybody. Just report them to the Information Commissoner's Office and they'll investigate and take any necessary enforcement action. You won't get anything out of it (on the off chance you want the Dworkin books and glasses) but you'll dump some red tape on them, which will at least annoy them.

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

(My work made me go to a course on the Data Protection Act just the day before yesterday)

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Rat Bastard wrote:
bovarchist wrote:If we went ahead with the ad idea, I'd suggest something along the lines of "Hey, you're stuck in Morris, Minnesota, don't you at least deserve a decent biology teacher?"
I just like the idea of making it an ad for the Pit. Kinda a recruiting for new members. Doing it in Morris is the prime place, as some of these poor students may have been subjected to the SJW hypocrisy through a certain professor there, and may need a safe space to vent and share stories. It would seem to me that this location could very well be a hotbed of people looking for a sane alternative. It only makes sense to advertise there. And if we can get some of our lulz seen from beyond the Pit, that makes it even better. With the idea that has been passed around of using just the Slymepit motto, URL, and the......I was going to say crazier quotes, but they all seem crazy.....quotes from Mr. Myers as examples of the SJW hypocrisy, it would serve as a recruiting tool that would be hard to argue as anything other than. To put our own jabs in it, might lessen the impact. Keeping it truthful and honest, though, would be a great move. And so the citizenry under the Fascist Tit grows.
If an ad is put up representing the Pit in a paper that is completely unconnected to us, and which never even has articles about us or our topics of debate, and which is recruiting or insulting anyone (even odious PZ), in that unconnected-to-us medium, I'm out of here.

I'd be embarrassed to be a Pitter if that happened. Putting up an insult ad in someone's hometown newspaper is crossing a line into actual harassment (of a non-sexual nature, but harassment none the less). And so is threatening to dox as many of the horde as we can. Someone mentioned further up about that being group punishment, which is a very unfair thing to do.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

I wonder what Jen Mcreight's been up to these days?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Scented Nectar wrote:
I'd be embarrassed to be a Pitter if that happened. Putting up an insult ad in someone's hometown newspaper is crossing a line into actual harassment (of a non-sexual nature, but harassment none the less). And so is threatening to dox as many of the horde as we can. Someone mentioned further up about that being group punishment, which is a very unfair thing to do.
How do you know the ad would be "insulting" rather than informative? Or do you just figure that we're all just huge assholes and that's the kind of thing we would produce? Is simply quoting someone's idiotic public statements out of bounds? How'd you arrive at that decision?

No one is "doxing" the horde. Or anyone for that fucking matter.

I am fucking sick of people pulling things completely out of their asses in order to take a moral stand. Please stop pulling things out of your ass.

What I am also sick of is when people conflate "nobody speaks for the SlymePit" with "nobody speaks of the SlymePit" without their fucking approval. I don't need your fucking permission to mention the SlymePit -- without endorsement -- in venues and in a manner that you don't approve of. Your membership doesn't give you prior restraint over my speech.

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Those who are seeking retribution for the attempt to fuck with Skep's Job, I say to you, the best way to hurt the crazies is to keep doing what the pyt has been doing. Point out, and debunk their madness, highlight the hypocrisy, and mock them, mercilessly. But most of all, laugh, laugh at them.

The attack on skep, is another example in a long list of attempting to cause real world harm to anyone who opposes their ideology, but it happens cause it's the only weapon they have. Their arsenal is empty of any argument, their dogma exposed to anyone who isn't a delusional SJW nut.

How did we get to this position? By keeping on keeping on. And laughing, pointing and laughing.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Mykeru wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:
How do you know the ad would be "insulting" rather than informative? Or do you just figure that we're all just huge assholes and that's the kind of thing we would produce? Is simply quoting someone's idiotic public statements out of bounds? How'd you arrive at that decision?
Even a "hey, look at the stupid things this person has done" is for insult purposes. Just because it's true doesn't mean that its purpose in being made an advertisement isn't still to insult the person in their own hometown/job, etc. And I only think that the newspaper ad idea is a bad one. I was not referring to quoting them in general elsewhere. I would also be fine with any newspaper or blog or magazine doing an expose article, just not an advertisement by people totally unconnected to that paper.
No one is "doxing" the horde. Or anyone for that fucking matter.

I am fucking sick of people pulling things completely out of their asses in order to take a moral stand. Please stop pulling things out of your ass.
It was mentioned above somewhere, separately from the newspaper idea.
What I am also sick of is when people conflate "nobody speaks for the SlymePit" with "nobody speaks of the SlymePit" without their fucking approval. I don't need your fucking permission to mention the SlymePit -- without endorsement -- in venues and in a manner that you don't approve of. Your membership doesn't give you prior restraint over my speech.
Do what you like under the name Mykeru. It only bugs me when it looks like it's something we all agreed on yet haven't, like if it was signed SlymePit or something.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I get the impression that some of Thought Free Blogs is not comfortable with PZ's actions. There's Jabba the PZ Hutt and Benson, who is basically Salacious B. Crumb living in the folds of his flab. And then there's Zvan who is onboard simply because her role as Minister of Propaganda requires it. But who else? Not that it really matters. For the most part, they're a gutless lot, who will go along as Good Bloggers.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

Scented Nectar wrote:
Rat Bastard wrote:
bovarchist wrote:If we went ahead with the ad idea, I'd suggest something along the lines of "Hey, you're stuck in Morris, Minnesota, don't you at least deserve a decent biology teacher?"
I just like the idea of making it an ad for the Pit. Kinda a recruiting for new members. Doing it in Morris is the prime place, as some of these poor students may have been subjected to the SJW hypocrisy through a certain professor there, and may need a safe space to vent and share stories. It would seem to me that this location could very well be a hotbed of people looking for a sane alternative. It only makes sense to advertise there. And if we can get some of our lulz seen from beyond the Pit, that makes it even better. With the idea that has been passed around of using just the Slymepit motto, URL, and the......I was going to say crazier quotes, but they all seem crazy.....quotes from Mr. Myers as examples of the SJW hypocrisy, it would serve as a recruiting tool that would be hard to argue as anything other than. To put our own jabs in it, might lessen the impact. Keeping it truthful and honest, though, would be a great move. And so the citizenry under the Fascist Tit grows.
If an ad is put up representing the Pit in a paper that is completely unconnected to us, and which never even has articles about us or our topics of debate, and which is recruiting or insulting anyone (even odious PZ), in that unconnected-to-us medium, I'm out of here.

Excellent points, Ms Nectar.

The Slymepit has only two rules (more like guidelines):

1. "No doxxing"

and

2. "Nobody speaks for the Slymepit"

While people can do what they like in a personal capacity, it should not be done in the name of the Slymepit.
I also agree that the particular idea being suggested (an advertisement in a student newspaper) is too close to job targeting itself.

I have seen no genuine reason why Myers job - or reputation as a teacher - should be targeted.
He is a failed scientist, teaching biology at a cowpoke college. That said, I don't see any evidence that he doesn't have the ability to do that job, or that he is putting his students in some kind of danger (intellectually or physically - I presume he has the sense to stick to the science in his classroom and keep the loopy political stuff for his blog.)
As for the mermaid joke, I just assume that this was a characteristically inept attempt at a risque joke from him rather than evidence of a real obsession. Despite calling himself a sex positive feminist he has always had a very conservative, if not puritanical, approach to sex. Even in the days before he became a lifelong feminist he could never make a sexual joke without coming off like a creepy uncle at a family gathering.

Do I want him fired?
Absolutely not.

I want him employed there forever, teaching biology to bored undergrads who have no intention of becoming scientists (let's face it, if you are genuinely interested in research, there's no way you'd go to Morris fucking Minnesota for your undergraduate degree.)
You want to annoy Myers?
Don't put an advert in a local conservative newsletter.
Just remind him that when he teaches biology to these students he's already covering scientific discoveries that have been made by Slymepitters. And the longer he is employed there, the more pitter discovered research he's going to teach (come on Abbie!).

Remind him that the extent of his own research these days is inquiring about the price of goldfish from his local pet shop.

People here are trying to figure out how to defeat him but they are forgetting the most important thing.
He is already defeated.

Just look at the following news article from his college:

http://www.morris.umn.edu/newsevents/vi ... temID=2341
PZ Myers exchanges theories with Richard Dawkins

Posted by Judy Riley on Monday, Jan. 29, 2007

Paul Z. “PZ” Myers, assistant professor of biology at the University of Minnesota, Morris, has a theory of evolution that he recently took right to the source – the birthplace and home of Charles Darwin. Myers’ long-time colleague, Larry Moran of the University of Toronto, arranged for Myers to accompany him on a trip to England. While in England they talked with Richard Dawkins, who currently holds an endowed chair as the Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University.
Personal blogging and hob-nobbing with experts in his field aside, Myers is first and foremost a teacher and researcher. He deftly separates his personal beliefs from his classroom lecture topics: “I tell my students that they must talk about facts and evidence.”

Photo: Richard Dawkins, left, and PZ Myers
This was seven years ago and was the height of Myers fame.

Just a few months ago he went to England again, to probably the biggest Humanist conference of the year, with a huge array of big name speakers.

PZ Myers continued to hob nob with the experts on this occasion.
Unfortunately for him, his star has fallen so far that the only 'experts' prepared to meet with him on this trip were oolon and Avicenna.

From hanging around with Dawkins and Harris he's stuck with oolon and Avicenna.
It's like a nightmare that you would suddenly snap out of and say:

"Phew! What a horrible thought! That could never happen, could it?"

Well it's happened for Myers.

He is still dangerous, as Skep tickle unfortunately found out recently, but we should encourage fellow pitters the correct way to deal with his inevitable bouts of lashing out in impotent rage.
Keep yourself anonymous.
Never comment on their sites, or if you must, do it with a different username to your slymepit nym and use TOR (many thanks to oolon for telling me about this method - he's clearly made use of it himself.)

Nothing is going to be more painful to Myers than reminding him how far he's fallen.
He fucked up his research career by going to Morris Minnesota but he had a second chance to make it big.

And he fucked that up too.

What can possibly hurt him more than reminding him about that?

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

TheMudbrooker wrote: What effect do you expect contacting and encouging others to contact PZ's employers to have?
I was under the impression that it was all about the LULZ.

./shrug YMMV

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Scented Nectar wrote: Even a "hey, look at the stupid things this person has done" is for insult purposes.
Pointing out someone saying stupid things is done "for insult purposes" and has no value otherwise? Is that a general rule you wish to apply to The SlymePit and, more importantly, yourself, or is that narrowly constrained to these purposes and for other people to be discarded when no longer convenient?
How do you get from "No one speaks for The SlymePit to "OMFG someone proposed something in the SlymePit that no one actually agreed to but I want to have a hissy fucking fit before it becomes Official Policy"?

Fucking seriously.
Do what you like under the name Mykeru. It only bugs me when it looks like it's something we all agreed on yet haven't, like if it was signed SlymePit or something.
No one agreed to anything. Also, I suspect I have brought more awareness to this forum through mentioning it on YouTube and Twitter than I have besmirching its good name.

And, once again, just like back in the Radford situation, I am spending more time defending doing something against people who fly off the handle when anything is involved greater than low-impact typing, than I am actually doing something. Actually, I am appalled at how I have to spend twice the amount of time defending doing something than I do doing something. It's fucked up.

So I can do things "under the name Mykeru" but I can't mention The SlymePit in case you don't agree to it? Does that apply to print ads alone, or does that extend generally across media? Because I know for a fact I have mentioned The Pit in previous videos without getting your approval. What an asshole I am.

I have some videos to work on.

You will not like them. You will consider them mean, and juvenile and a waste of time and not the kind of image you want to project and won't leave your tongue tasting like P.Z. Myers' ass.

But I will put on a disclaimer that my Tweets and YouTube videos don't represent Official SlymePit Policy, just in case people birthed with hand-forged forceps can't fucking figure that out for themselves.

None of my videos represent SlymePit policy. In fact, when I don't do them, now that's SlymePit policy.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Pogsurf wrote:http://freethoughtblogs.com/butterflies ... nt-3374159
Prunella wrote:But ok, if you’re going to insist on playing dumb, I’ll list some differences for you.
1. Sommers is orders of magnitude more visible, prominent, public, official, influential than I am. She’s a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. I’m not.
2. I haven’t posted any demeaning photoshops of her.
3. I don’t call her “Chrissy” or any other diminutive.
4. I don’t muse about kicking her in the cunt.
5. I don’t call her a cunt or a bitch.
6. I don’t tell lies about her.
7. I don’t tell her to get help for her paranoia.
8. I don’t tweet and post about her multiple times every day, and I don’t hang out with a group of people who, together, tweet and post about her all day every day.
9. I don’t seek out blog posts that mention her in order to post lies about her there.
10. I don’t make videos about her.
11. I don’t talk about her on podcasts.
12. I don’t draw cartoons of her and post them on Twitter and Facebook.
There, I hope that helps you see the difference.
The bolded part intrigued me, so I ran a search for mentions of Sommers at Butterflies and Wheels. Here are the posts where Sommers makes an appearance as main subject or in a prominent supporting role:

Dec 29, 2012
Jan 14, 2013
Jan 26, 2013
Jan 27, 2013
Feb 20,2013
Jun 23, 2013
Dec 2, 2013
Mar 17, 2014 (2 posts)
May 27, 2014
Jun 20, 2014
Jun 29,2014
July 27,2014
July 31, 2014
Aug 1, 2014 (2 posts)
Sept 3, 2014
Sept 4, 2014 (4 posts)
Sept 6, 2014
Sept 8, 2014
Sept 9, 2014 (2 posts)
Sept 11, 2014
Sept 13, 2014
Sept 14, 2014
Sept 16, 2014
Sept 17, 2014 (2 posts)
Sept 18, 2014
Sept 21, 2014
Sept 27, 2014
Oct 1, 2014 (2 posts)
Oct 2,2014
Oct 4, 2014
Oct 9, 2014

So, Ophelia is technically correct that she doesn't post about Christina Hoff Sommers all day, every day.

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I don't see that it makes a hell of a lot of difference whether it's a SlymePit Production (tm) or not. FtB tars the pit with anything anyone from the pit ever does anyway, even if the pit happens to condemn it in general. That's how they think. Reddit is guilty of anything that appears on Reddit. An organization is guilty of anything any member of it does, etc. That's the overall motivation driving them to viciously thought police their own forums. Purity is more important to them than any type of diversity of opinion. It's better that ten valid ideas be suppressed than one impure thought go without hazing.

So, just in point of fact, it doesn't matter if you label it SlymePit or not. 'Cause they're gonna.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Mykeru wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Even a "hey, look at the stupid things this person has done" is for insult purposes.
Pointing out someone saying stupid things is done "for insult purposes" and has no value otherwise? Is that a general rule you wish to apply to The SlymePit and, more importantly, yourself, or is that narrowly constrained to these purposes and for other people to be discarded when no longer convenient?
How do you get from "No one speaks for The SlymePit to "OMFG someone proposed something in the SlymePit that no one actually agreed to but I want to have a hissy fucking fit before it becomes Official Policy"?
IIRC, there were a few people not averse to counter-doxxing, including Phil.
Mykeru wrote:Fucking seriously.
No one agreed to anything. Also, I suspect I have brought more awareness to this forum through mentioning it on YouTube and Twitter than I have besmirching its good name.

And, once again, just like back in the Radford situation, I am spending more time defending doing something against people who fly off the handle when anything is involved greater than low-impact typing, than I am actually doing something. Actually, I am appalled at how I have to spend twice the amount of time defending doing something than I do doing something. It's fucked up.

So I can do things "under the name Mykeru" but I can't mention The SlymePit in case you don't agree to it? Does that apply to print ads alone, or does that extend generally across media? Because I know for a fact I have mentioned The Pit in previous videos without getting your approval. What an asshole I am.
Strawmen are cheap at this time of the year. obviously. How do you arrive from "signed Slymepit" at "mentioning the Slymepit"?

And what's stopping you and like-minded people from getting something done?

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

disclaimer.jpg
(235.19 KiB) Downloaded 456 times

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

I'm seriously digging Xanthe's reasoning here: that it's not doxxing if you haven't tried suffiently hard enough (in her opinion) to hide your identity.

I believe they call that 'victim-blaming', luv.

Still, Xanthe would likely know all about failing to hide one's identity, I'm sure. Unless the identity in question is that of a 1970s Motorhead roadie.

http://i.imgur.com/NcMz6I1.jpg?1

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
Excellent points, Ms Nectar.

The Slymepit has only two rules (more like guidelines):

1. "No doxxing"

and

2. "Nobody speaks for the Slymepit"

While people can do what they like in a personal capacity, it should not be done in the name of the Slymepit.
I also agree that the particular idea being suggested (an advertisement in a student newspaper) is too close to job targeting itself.

I have seen no genuine reason why Myers job - or reputation as a teacher - should be targeted.
He is a failed scientist, teaching biology at a cowpoke college. That said, I don't see any evidence that he doesn't have the ability to do that job, or that he is putting his students in some kind of danger (intellectually or physically - I presume he has the sense to stick to the science in his classroom and keep the loopy political stuff for his blog.)
As for the mermaid joke, I just assume that this was a characteristically inept attempt at a risque joke from him rather than evidence of a real obsession. Despite calling himself a sex positive feminist he has always had a very conservative, if not puritanical, approach to sex. Even in the days before he became a lifelong feminist he could never make a sexual joke without coming off like a creepy uncle at a family gathering.

Do I want him fired?
Absolutely not.

I want him employed there forever, teaching biology to bored undergrads who have no intention of becoming scientists (let's face it, if you are genuinely interested in research, there's no way you'd go to Morris fucking Minnesota for your undergraduate degree.)
You want to annoy Myers?
Don't put an advert in a local conservative newsletter.
Just remind him that when he teaches biology to these students he's already covering scientific discoveries that have been made by Slymepitters. And the longer he is employed there, the more pitter discovered research he's going to teach (come on Abbie!).

Remind him that the extent of his own research these days is inquiring about the price of goldfish from his local pet shop.

People here are trying to figure out how to defeat him but they are forgetting the most important thing.
He is already defeated.

Just look at the following news article from his college:

http://www.morris.umn.edu/newsevents/vi ... temID=2341
PZ Myers exchanges theories with Richard Dawkins

Posted by Judy Riley on Monday, Jan. 29, 2007

Paul Z. “PZ” Myers, assistant professor of biology at the University of Minnesota, Morris, has a theory of evolution that he recently took right to the source – the birthplace and home of Charles Darwin. Myers’ long-time colleague, Larry Moran of the University of Toronto, arranged for Myers to accompany him on a trip to England. While in England they talked with Richard Dawkins, who currently holds an endowed chair as the Charles Simonyi Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University.
Personal blogging and hob-nobbing with experts in his field aside, Myers is first and foremost a teacher and researcher. He deftly separates his personal beliefs from his classroom lecture topics: “I tell my students that they must talk about facts and evidence.”

Photo: Richard Dawkins, left, and PZ Myers
This was seven years ago and was the height of Myers fame.

Just a few months ago he went to England again, to probably the biggest Humanist conference of the year, with a huge array of big name speakers.

PZ Myers continued to hob nob with the experts on this occasion.
Unfortunately for him, his star has fallen so far that the only 'experts' prepared to meet with him on this trip were oolon and Avicenna.

From hanging around with Dawkins and Harris he's stuck with oolon and Avicenna.
It's like a nightmare that you would suddenly snap out of and say:

"Phew! What a horrible thought! That could never happen, could it?"

Well it's happened for Myers.

He is still dangerous, as Skep tickle unfortunately found out recently, but we should encourage fellow pitters the correct way to deal with his inevitable bouts of lashing out in impotent rage.
Keep yourself anonymous.
Never comment on their sites, or if you must, do it with a different username to your slymepit nym and use TOR (many thanks to oolon for telling me about this method - he's clearly made use of it himself.)

Nothing is going to be more painful to Myers than reminding him how far he's fallen.
He fucked up his research career by going to Morris Minnesota but he had a second chance to make it big.

And he fucked that up too.

What can possibly hurt him more than reminding him about that?
Exactly. Peezus is down and out already. Any attempt to go after him IRL will only provide him with an opportunity to play the martyr to his demented Flock.

From being a promising scientist who was once allowed to share a stage with Richard Dawkins he has sunk to the level of a grumpy, frustrated schoolteacher whose admirers must be sought among the likes of Tony! the Queer Shoop, Cainaji (or whatever her current 'nym is), Anthony K, wowbagger, Josh the Rusty Spokesgay, Sally Strange, and a few dozen similarly deranged poltroons. You wouldn't wish that on your worst enemies. For an intellectual it's a fate worse than death.

There is really only one way left for Peezus to redeem himself, and that is by writing a book that will put us all to shame by its brilliance and originality.

Ain't gonna happen.

In the meantime, we should just continue to mock him into the ground and to expose his lies and cult-like tactics to anyone who wants to listen.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Mykeru wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote:Even a "hey, look at the stupid things this person has done" is for insult purposes.
I never claimed that it might not have informative stuff along with the public embarrassment in home/job. As for the "general rule", I don't even understand what you are referring to.

Fucking seriously.
I didn't get from there to there. I've not said either thing. Maybe you can use my actual words next time when making a point about anything I've said.
Who said anything about your videos? There's nothing wrong with them. Why would I conflate them with the hometown newspaper ad idea? Your videos are not playing solely in some Morris cinema as paid trailer-like info/insult-ads before the feature films, you're not sending his neighbours and coworkers mass emails with your videos embedded in them or anything like that. It's totally unrelated to how I feel about harassing someone via their neighbours or jobs.

And even that, I can see exceptions being sometimes necessary, such as if the person in question might be planning to endanger their neighbours/coworkers, in which case warning those who are in danger is perfectly valid.

I have some videos to work on.

You will not like them. You will consider them mean, and juvenile and a waste of time and not the kind of image you want to project and won't leave your tongue tasting like P.Z. Myers' ass.

But I will put on a disclaimer that my Tweets and YouTube videos don't represent Official SlymePit Policy, just in case people birthed with hand-forged forceps can't fucking figure that out for themselves.

None of my videos represent SlymePit policy. In fact, when I don't do them, now that's SlymePit policy.
Actually I like your videos. That's not the same as doing things to embarrass people SPECIFICALLY in their homes or jobs.

And as for mentioning the SlymePit, stop changing my words. I have nothing against the mention of the Pit, only against misrepresenting the message as coming from all of us. I think you know that too. You're not stupid. But just in case, let me show you the difference with some examples:
Ok: [info about Myers], brought to you by Mykeru, who is a YouTuber, a graphic artist, and a SlymePit.com member
Not ok: [info about Myers], brought to you by the Slymepit. Come join us at slymepit.com

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Eskarina wrote:
Strawmen are cheap at this time of the year. obviously. How do you arrive from "signed Slymepit" at "mentioning the Slymepit"?
Actually, as we are bringing up "strawmen" now, although I don't believe for a moment you actually grasp what it means except in a pejorative sense, the actual quote was "like if it was signed SlymePit or something" and not nearly as precise as your strawman made it out to be. "Mentioning the Slymepit" could be a reasonable interpretation of the waffling "like if it was signed SlymePit or something". Because "like as if" and "or something".

Folks, informal fallacies are actually a thing. Try to get a grasp of them before you 1. toss them around like you actually know what in fuck you are talking about and 2. Do it yourself in the same argument accusing someone else of them.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Mykeru wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
Actually, as we are bringing up "strawmen" now, although I don't believe for a moment you actually grasp what it means except in a pejorative sense, the actual quote was "like if it was signed SlymePit or something" and not nearly as precise as your strawman made it out to be. "Mentioning the Slymepit" could be a reasonable interpretation of the waffling "like if it was signed SlymePit or something". Because "like as if" and "or something".

Folks, informal fallacies are actually a thing. Try to get a grasp of them before you 1. toss them around like you actually know what in fuck you are talking about and 2. Do it yourself in the same argument accusing someone else of them.

Scented Nectar: "like if it was signed SlymePit or something."
Mykeru: "So I can do things "under the name Mykeru" but I can't mention The SlymePit in case you don't agree to it?"

You should tell Scented Nectar what she really, really means.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Sometimes it seems collective action is like herding cats.

I still think that a tasteful ad showing solidarity with the principles of free speech and the open exchange of ideas while contrasting that of PZ's North Korean style of enforced group think is a good idea.

We may actually reach some folks who agree with us.

In case nobody noticed, pizzy went after that student run paper again on Friday.(10/9/14)

A professor, an authority figure punching down on a shoe string student run paper.

He thinks nothing of causing real world pain and discomfort to others, hell, he revels in it.

I say we give a little back.

I guess the final authority on using the Pit would be the facist tit and the mods.

But I will say this, if this is going to cause a Pit schism, or mass flouncing from the Pit I would rather shelve it.

This place is too important for that to happen.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

James Caruthers wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Tribble wrote: I don't do it by idiotic shit like counter-doxxing, trying to get people fired, etc.
Good thing that no one was "counter-doxxed" or that no one is trying to get anyone fired. Right?
I'd just like to reiterate this.

This idea that ANYONE on the Pit was planning to dox PZ is pure bullshit. It seems to have been fabricated by those who do not approve of the methods of people like Mykeru and others who support IRL action.

Doxxing PZ would be something like revealing his personal telephone or home address.

NOBODY has suggested doing this.

It would be incredibly dishonest to continue suggesting that anyone on the "Mykeru/Brive/Sinister/etc" side is advocating doxxing.

EXCEPT it was proposed in some bullshit 'doxxing manifesto.' So, welcome to your continuing to be wrong.