Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Tribble

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Tribble »

windy wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:
Mykeru wrote: Good thing that no one was "counter-doxxed" or that no one is trying to get anyone fired. Right?
I'd just like to reiterate this.

This idea that ANYONE on the Pit was planning to dox PZ is pure bullshit. It seems to have been fabricated by those who do not approve of the methods of people like Mykeru and others who support IRL action.

Doxxing PZ would be something like revealing his personal telephone or home address.

NOBODY has suggested doing this.

It would be incredibly dishonest to continue suggesting that anyone on the "Mykeru/Brive/Sinister/etc" side is advocating doxxing.
James, you ignorant slut. Please practice reading comprehension before accusing people of fabricating things. The "counter-doxxing" refers to Brive's proposal of threatening to release info on horde members as a way to prevent further doxxing over there:

viewtopic.php?p=225694#p225694
General outline -
we publish a manifesto decrying doxxing, committing to continuing our non-doxxing, but threatening swift proportional response to any future Skep tickle level infringement. We are publicly purposely vague, but we privately make it clear to PZ the specifics of what a response would be.

Detailed tasks -
General consensus agreed here (ok that's optimistic)
Matt word-smiths. Moderators edit and draft is PMed to all(?)
Manifesto is published via social media
Specific doxxing info on an especially loved horder is retained by no more than two moderators
Protocols developed for release - hopefully in theory only.
Limited doxxing info provided privately to PZ as "proof of life" - hopefully he will back channel it.
Collective punishment is a shitty idea however carefully you hedge it.
Ninja'd.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Brive1987 wrote:
windy wrote:
James, you ignorant slut. Please practice reading comprehension before accusing people of fabricating things. The "counter-doxxing" refers to Brive's proposal of threatening to release info on horde members as a way to prevent further doxxing over there:

Collective punishment is a shitty idea however carefully you hedge it.
Let's be clear. No one is advocating an immediate unilateral doxxing in response to the skep atrocity.

Does that need to be a signature text?

It was proposed that FtB be given the lever to pull in response to future doxxing. And this be clearly communicated.

Amazing how phrasing shapes a concept.
Amazing that you brought it up here considering it's one of the very few Danny Deever's the 'Pit possesses. And with that, a little Kipling:

‘What are the bugles blowin’ for?' said Files-on-Parade.
‘To turn you out, to turn you out,’ the Colour-Sergeant said.
‘What makes you look so white, so white?’ said Files-on-Parade.
‘I’m dreadin’ what I’ve got to watch,’ the Colour-Sergeant said.
For they’re hangin’ Danny Deever, you can hear the Dead March play,
The Regiment’s in ’ollow square—they’re hangin’ him to-day;
They’ve taken of his buttons off an’ cut his stripes away,
An’ they're hangin’ Danny Deever in the mornin’.

‘What makes the rear-rank breathe so ’ard?’ said Files-on-Parade.
‘It’s bitter cold, it's bitter cold,’ the Colour-Sergeant said.
‘What makes that front-rank man fall down?’ said Files-on-Parade.
‘A touch o’ sun, a touch o’ sun,’ the Colour-Sergeant said.
They are hangin’ Danny Deever, they are marchin’ of ’im round,
They ’ave ’alted Danny Deever by ’is coffin on the ground;
An’ ’e’ll swing in ’arf a minute for a sneakin’ shootin’ hound—
O they’re hangin’ Danny Deever in the mornin!’

‘’Is cot was right-’and cot to mine,’ said Files-on-Parade.
‘’E’s sleepin’ out an’ far to-night,’ the Colour-Sergeant said.
‘I’ve drunk ’is beer a score o’ times,’ said Files-on-Parade.
‘’E’s drinkin’ bitter beer alone,’ the Colour-Sergeant said.
They are hangin’ Danny Deever, you must mark ’im to ’is place,
For ’e shot a comrade sleepin’—you must look ’im in the face;
Nine ’undred of ’is county an’ the Regiment’s disgrace,
While they’re hangin’ Danny Deever in the mornin’.

‘What’s that so black agin the sun?’ said Files-on-Parade.
‘It’s Danny fightin’ ’ard for life,’ the Colour-Sergeant said.
‘What’s that that whimpers over’ead?’ said Files-on-Parade.
‘It’s Danny’s soul that’s passin’ now,’ the Colour-Sergeant said.
For they’re done with Danny Deever, you can ’ear the quickstep play,
The Regiment’s in column, an’ they’re marchin’ us away;
Ho! the young recruits are shakin’, an’ they’ll want their beer to-day,
After hangin’ Danny Deever in the mornin’!

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Dick Strawkins wrote:He is a failed scientist, teaching biology at a cowpoke college. That said, I don't see any evidence that he doesn't have the ability to do that job, or that he is putting his students in some kind of danger (intellectually or physically - I presume he has the sense to stick to the science in his classroom and keep the loopy political stuff for his blog.)
There is a very limited data set (n = 22) going back through 2003, that may provide at least a small glimpse into what has and/or does go on in his classroom. Out of 22 total reviews, about 18% of them (which averages out to less than 1 student every other year), mention something about being very opinionated or the like. Highlights below.
Paul Myers
Professor in the Biology department at University of Minnesota Morris, Morris, MN
CUMULATIVE AVERAGE RATING: 3.8 out of 5 (Good)
  • 04/22/2014: "Great Professor! Very opinionated, but that's ok!"
  • 10/29/2012: "I took him for Cellular Biology. Honestly, his was the only class I enjoyed going to this semester. He has strong views about certain topics, but so what? We're here to learn all aspects of life, not just the sugar coated version you've been given up until now. He likes to challenge people, and comes off as offensive. Highly entertaining."
  • 08/11/2010: "Interesting character. Very into anti-creationism. He can teach the course so that you want to learn. Not too hard, not too easy. One thing is he is always busy, always. Very hard to find him for office hours. Otherwise, if you are a liberal person, you will like this prof. If you are conservative, you will want to strangle him in the first week."
  • 10/28/2008: "Very knowledgeable, and very opinionated. His lectures + power points are clear and helpful. He thoroughly explains the material, but never thoroughly explains whats on the test. He likes to throw in stuff from the readings to make sure you've been reading. Less approachable than most profs I'd say."
To be fair, his average rating is not bad and there don't seem to be any complaints about mermaids. Also, a fair number of the reviews are very positive, much like the examples below.
  • 10/24/2003: "This guy is brilliant. I wish all bio professors at UMM were as organized and helpful. He truely loves what he's doing!"
  • 09/05/2010: "Alright this guy is sweet as hell, frank as hell and very good with words. He runs a popular blog and has been featured on several documentaries and gives talks everywhere. He teaches really well, and tries to be as clear as possible...is also tolerant of stupid questions, unless they border the insane."

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Spike13 wrote: I guess the final authority on using the Pit would be the facist tit and the mods.
I kind of like your idea... provided on how it's done. But the mods have no say in anything, although FT's opinion would be relevant and important since it's his place.
But I will say this, if this is going to cause a Pit schism, or mass flouncing from the Pit I would rather shelve it.

This place is too important for that to happen.
There's going to be strenuous arguments for and against everything discussed here. Not just with regards to your idea, but whether the sky is blue FFS. That's just the way things roll here. If everyone in the Pit were loudly voicing objections, yeah I'd say it's time to take a minute and think "Hey, is this as good an idea as I originally thought?" But Mykeru has a point - the fact that people disagree should not cause paralysis (generously paraphrasing).

I think your idea has merit, although I'm fairly solidly in the "stay the course" camp. But if an ad that is fair, has some balance, does not just stupidly attack Myers, and has some kind of disclaimer saying that the ad does not necessarily represent the viewpoints of everyone here, I think there's potential.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Remember that photo contest thingy? I came in second. Yay, I'm the second-prettiest Denny's waitress.

Just kidding. Thanks to everyone for your votes!

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Eskarina wrote:
You should tell Scented Nectar what she really, really means.
Your ability to (intentionally?) miss the point in order to make what you think is a whiz-bang cheap shot is truly astounding.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

bovarchist wrote:Remember that photo contest thingy? I came in second. Yay, I'm the second-prettiest Denny's waitress.

Yeah. You're welcome. Remind me never to help you out again.

I will be expanding on this point in a way that will not be Officially Endorsed by The Slymepit.

CuntajusRationality

John Greg wrote:As of now, October 10, 2014, Ophie is still going on about cunt kicks...
http://i.imgur.com/RPuurLF.jpg

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

Hahahaha.
Myers is also in the process of writing his own book about evolution and developmental biology, atheism and creationism, with the working title Natural Revelation.
http://i.imgur.com/L8BT4Ys.jpg

Present company:

http://i.imgur.com/yBxAbVH.jpg

http://www.morris.umn.edu/newsevents/vi ... temID=2341

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

The only way to deal with the SJW's is to inform as many people as possible, which is what people here have been doing for years. The fact so many ignore what is happening has lead me to the conclusion they can screw their 'movement' and it deserves what it gets, including AI and all the other prominent organizations and figures. If they won't learn by reason and logic they can learn the hard way. The longer they leave the cancer to grow the harder it will be to cut out and the more damage it will do. People have already been damaged, it is too little too late and it is going to get worse.

Advertising or similar in some student newspaper is childish and petty. It won't work as it is aimed at communicating to the wrong people and will feed directly into their hands. For me communicating to the people that matter, not some crappy student newspapers, will have a better impact. Ask them what they intend to do about the SJW attacks. If they say nothing ask them why.

We seem so happy Nugent finally did something. I find myself not caring much. We should be asking prominent figures why this was not done at least a year ago when the evidence was there is full view (Nugent was told countless times) and what they will be doing to encourage others to fight the SJW attacks right now, not tomorrow. All we hear is the loud sound of silence as the elephant in the room tramples all over their precious ideals. They are all cowards and not fit to lead a whelk stall.

Why the hell should the Slympit, with no resources, protect others when they do not give a toss themselves? Until they show some interest they can simply learn the hard way.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

I like the paper idea, tbh. Given how Myers has treated that student newspapers, I have no idea why they haven't gone after him on their own. Taking out an ad is not necessary. We could just point out a couple of juicy quotes from Myers to them. The mermaid one is probably the most damning, in a university context.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
John Greg wrote:As of now, October 10, 2014, Ophie is still going on about cunt kicks...
http://i.imgur.com/RPuurLF.jpg
Nice job, hahaha.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Jan Steen wrote:
Exactly. Peezus is down and out already. Any attempt to go after him IRL will only provide him with an opportunity to play the martyr to his demented Flock.

From being a promising scientist who was once allowed to share a stage with Richard Dawkins he has sunk to the level of a grumpy, frustrated schoolteacher whose admirers must be sought among the likes of Tony! the Queer Shoop, Cainaji (or whatever her current 'nym is), Anthony K, wowbagger, Josh the Rusty Spokesgay, Sally Strange, and a few dozen similarly deranged poltroons. You wouldn't wish that on your worst enemies. For an intellectual it's a fate worse than death.

There is really only one way left for Peezus to redeem himself, and that is by writing a book that will put us all to shame by its brilliance and originality.

Ain't gonna happen.

In the meantime, we should just continue to mock him into the ground and to expose his lies and cult-like tactics to anyone who wants to listen.
ilovethispost.jpg
(173.43 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

JackSkeptic wrote:The only way to deal with the SJW's is to inform as many people as possible, which is what people here have been doing for years. The fact so many ignore what is happening has lead me to the conclusion they can screw their 'movement' and it deserves what it gets, including AI and all the other prominent organizations and figures. If they won't learn by reason and logic they can learn the hard way. The longer they leave the cancer to grow the harder it will be to cut out and the more damage it will do. People have already been damaged, it is too little too late and it is going to get worse.

Advertising or similar in some student newspaper is childish and petty. It won't work as it is aimed at communicating to the wrong people and will feed directly into their hands. For me communicating to the people that matter, not some crappy student newspapers, will have a better impact. Ask them what they intend to do about the SJW attacks. If they say nothing ask them why.

We seem so happy Nugent finally did something. I find myself not caring much. We should be asking prominent figures why this was not done at least a year ago when the evidence was there is full view (Nugent was told countless times) and what they will be doing to encourage others to fight the SJW attacks right now, not tomorrow. All we hear is the loud sound of silence as the elephant in the room tramples all over their precious ideals. They are all cowards and not fit to lead a whelk stall.

Why the hell should the Slympit, with no resources, protect others when they do not give a toss themselves? Until they show some interest they can simply learn the hard way.
Perhaps because, as you yourself just said, the longer the cancer is left untreated the harder it will be to cut out and the more damage it will do.

I have sometimes wondered how much worse the situation would be if, as hated as it is, the Slymepit never materialized to point out the hypocrisy of the baboons while mocking the shit out of them. Because while it's fashionable to sneer at the Pit, there's no denying the message hasn't been heard by many people. We do help influence opinion, although we're likely never to receive any credit.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

*has

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

JackSkeptic wrote:Advertising or similar in some student newspaper is childish and petty.
If it's done the wrong way, definitely. But so far it's the only halfway decent idea to come out of all the recent arguing.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

There are valid points both with Scented Nectar and Mykeru. That's part of the reason I'd like to see it as an ad rather than an attack. I liked this idea, mainly because it is helping out a paper that Myers attacked in his blog and encouraged others to "attack" as well. It is the helping out of one of his targets in a very substantial way: advertising, the blood flow of newspapers. As far as it being in Myers hometown, maybe he shouldn't have picked a hometown newspaper to attack. Plus, in today's global internet media world, everything is in a persons hometown, just because it takes on a printed, dead tree, form instead of a turn on the computer and watch a video on youtube form, does that make it any more or less a "personal harrassment/attack/whatever" vs. the mentioning of the Pit in a video with the same content? The point of it being an ad for the pit is a very valid one. Helping out said paper, via an ad, about the only way to truly support them, is, to me, the whole point here. Myers, having attacked said paper, would be the subject displayed in the ad....seems logical to me. However, the point of "no one speaks for the pit" is very true (although I think our Fascist Tit would be exempt from that statement, it is, after all, his baby). So, perhaps, if it is to be a true ad for the pit, it should be approved by the Tit himself before being sent in? Or, maybe an ad with various Myers, Benson, and Watson quotes with links to, say, the pit, Mykeru's youtube, and a disclaimer that the ad was privately paid for and does not necessarily reflect the views of any particular webpage or organization. There are details to be worked out, and discussion such as this is helpful in that aspect.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

BTW, Cunt Juice, I put your Indienono pic in the Baboonapalooza graphics archives for posterity.

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

JackSkeptic wrote:Ask them what they intend to do about the SJW attacks. If they say nothing ask them why.

We seem so happy Nugent finally did something.
Sorry to chop so much of your post, a lot of which I agree with.

However your plan seems to consist of asking people what they will do, then bemoaning their lateness to the party if they agree something ought to be done.

Makes me wonder what's in it for them. A lecture about how they should have pulled their socks up six months earlier?

I have found, over the past year and a half, David Silverman to be one of the frustrating actors in this, because a couple of times he's hinted at nearly getting, or has nearly crossed the line by expressing notions contrary to the FtB party line, and he's always pulled himself back into some sort of conciliatory stance.

It's annoying, but I'd regard it as a cause for some celebration if he were to finally admit that PZ was too much.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Rat Bastard wrote:... However, the point of "no one speaks for the pit" is very true (although I think our Fascist Tit would be exempt from that statement, it is, after all, his baby). So, perhaps, if it is to be a true ad for the pit, it should be approved by the Tit himself before being sent in?
I agree.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Well if that is not doxxing, then why were they so upset at Justin Vacula revealing Amy Roth's publicly available address? Oh that's right because they are a deluded cult of Hypocrites.

I wonder how easy it would be to get Zvan's information. Don't worry Pit I have no intention of pursuing that line nor exposing her but I assume she would be shitting herself if her information was well known by her opponents.
I believe Svan accidentally doxxed herself a bit by showing photos of her street including a highly recognizable store that narrowed the possible range of houses she lived in to just a few. I don't remember much more than that.

Also, it's not doxxing if someone puts their personal information, under their own name, on the Internet so it is publicly available for all to see. With Roth, there was no dox since she deliberately publishes her name and address for business purposes.

HOWEVER, had she used a PO Box, or a pseudo-anonymous pen name and Vacula given out her home address and/or real name, that would have been different and she would have had a legitimate complaint instead of the manufactured outrage.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Mykeru wrote:

I am fucking sick of people pulling things completely out of their asses in order to take a moral stand. Please stop pulling things out of your ass.
It was mentioned above somewhere, separately from the newspaper idea.
What I am also sick of is when people conflate "nobody speaks for the SlymePit" with "nobody speaks of the SlymePit" without their fucking approval. I don't need your fucking permission to mention the SlymePit -- without endorsement -- in venues and in a manner that you don't approve of. Your membership doesn't give you prior restraint over my speech.
And I'm fucking sick and tired of your shitty reading comprehension skills and inability to remember Brive's Doxxing Manifesto and all the dancing around that particular get even. You're as bad as Myers and the Horde when it comes to ignoring shit right in front of your face because you've got a boner for something.

So look to your own ass and pull your head out, you tool.

piero

Post by piero »

CuntajusRationality wrote: Also, a fair number of the reviews are very positive, much like the examples below.
  • 10/24/2003: "This guy is brilliant. I wish all bio professors at UMM were as organized and helpful. He truely loves what he's doing!"
  • 09/05/2010: "Alright this guy is sweet as hell, frank as hell and very good with words. He runs a popular blog and has been featured on several documentaries and gives talks everywhere. He teaches really well, and tries to be as clear as possible...is also tolerant of stupid questions, unless they border the insane."
I'm not in the least surprised. Face-to-face interactions are usually conducted in a context that demands mutual respect; rage from a blog instead, and no holds are barred. Besides, Myers has failed to discipline his commentariat, the result being that its most deranged members have taken over the asylum. Not even Myers can step out of line; trapped by his own negligence, Myers has opted for toeing the line and make a virtue of it.

From the information you've gathered, I think we should draw two lessons:
a. Myers is (suprprise, surprise) human, has virtues and does his job well
b. Attacking him from the pages of a students newspaper will be seen as mere harassment. Remember that the students will have no context, and certainly won't be bothered to find it.

Mykeru

Post by Mykeru »

Tribble wrote: You're as bad as Myers and the Horde when it comes to ignoring shit right in front of your face because you've got a boner for something.
And I consider you a concern troll.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Mykeru wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
Strawmen are cheap at this time of the year. obviously. How do you arrive from "signed Slymepit" at "mentioning the Slymepit"?
Actually, as we are bringing up "strawmen" now, although I don't believe for a moment you actually grasp what it means except in a pejorative sense, the actual quote was "like if it was signed SlymePit or something" and not nearly as precise as your strawman made it out to be. "Mentioning the Slymepit" could be a reasonable interpretation of the waffling "like if it was signed SlymePit or something". Because "like as if" and "or something".

Folks, informal fallacies are actually a thing. Try to get a grasp of them before you 1. toss them around like you actually know what in fuck you are talking about and 2. Do it yourself in the same argument accusing someone else of them.

If you are going to point out fallacies mate you might want to take a look in the mirror and examine the big huge pile of steaming ad hominem you just unloaded on Eskarina.

Your reply to Eskarina implies to me that you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar and attacking the person instead of engaging the argument is your only way out.

Speaking of a strawman fallacy in your second paragraph you actually try to formalise something which is characterised as an informal fallacy, such that the only definition which is legitimate is the one you dish up. I have not seen so much misplaced concretion since that time when I accidentally squirted some Sodastream into my mothers urn.

And what's all this "Folks, informal fallacies are ..."? Are you attempting to indulge in argumentum ad populum?

You are also throwing around red herrings like a man with no arms.

You say:
I don't believe for a moment you actually grasp what it means except in a pejorative sense
What's all that about? Eskarina doesn't know what it means except that Eskarina does know what it means? You are chucking in another fallacy of your own namely an argument from personal incredulity.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Mykeru wrote:
bovarchist wrote:Remember that photo contest thingy? I came in second. Yay, I'm the second-prettiest Denny's waitress.

I will be expanding on this point in a way that will not be Officially Endorsed by The Slymepit.
Can I endorse videos without giving you a hand job? Tribble didn't clarify if that was a necessary part of displaying approval. His job seems a little different than mine.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Dave2 wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Ask them what they intend to do about the SJW attacks. If they say nothing ask them why.

We seem so happy Nugent finally did something.
Sorry to chop so much of your post, a lot of which I agree with.

However your plan seems to consist of asking people what they will do, then bemoaning their lateness to the party if they agree something ought to be done.

Makes me wonder what's in it for them. A lecture about how they should have pulled their socks up six months earlier?

I have found, over the past year and a half, David Silverman to be one of the frustrating actors in this, because a couple of times he's hinted at nearly getting, or has nearly crossed the line by expressing notions contrary to the FtB party line, and he's always pulled himself back into some sort of conciliatory stance.

It's annoying, but I'd regard it as a cause for some celebration if he were to finally admit that PZ was too much.

My post does seem contradictory. On Nugents blog people seem to be saying there is no purpose in digging up the reasons why no action was taken before. I think that is the first thing that must me dealt with as there is no solution until the problem is found. The opinion formers HAVE been told about this many times so pointing it out does not work. They know and if they do not they are incompetent. They have to understand, by being less damn polite, that they are failing in their missions for which they have assumed responsibility and to identify why they failed and why they will continue to do so unless they deal with it.

Until they deal with their failings they have no future. Once that is done then focus can be put on solving the SJW problem.

Gamers are not having this issue at all as matters were dealt with fast. You said 6 months for atheists, more like 2-3 years this crap has been going on in exactly the same way. Atheists seem so damn good at ignoring what is staring them in the face and for now that means I have no interest in any formal atheist activity. I doubt I am the only one.

What I want to know is this:

Why is a group allowed to openly attack with the intent to split and destroy atheist activism allowed to continue largely unchecked? Why are people like Adam Lee allowed to attack atheists on a christian radio show and openly call for a schism without a damn murmur (18 months ago, Nugent claims ignorance of all this) or several loud calls for 'with us and against us' not challenged? People like Wagner, Myers, Benson and Zvan openly say people should be doxxed (therefore exposed to real world harm for them and their families) for disagreeing or hurting their fee fees? CFI is brutally attacked by one of its own officers (Hensley) who uses her position to bully and attack others. Why is Watson given a speaking gig at a science conference when my cat knows more about science than she does and is at least not a science denialist. But not a damned peep from anyone. Screw that.

So sure I would ask them what the hell have they been doing and why are they such a bunch of useless cowards, Silverman too. They have a duty of care to their members so they have a duty to explain themselves. They claim to represent a group of people and abjectly failed. It's time to get angry as politeness has failed us.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

One reason why I think it's a bad idea to advertise in that 'student' newspaper (if that's what it really is) is that it is not just some harmless students publication, but apparently some pretty extreme right-wing rag. Who wants to support that by giving them advertising money, and who is going to read it and take it seriously?

Please don't mention the Slymepit in any way or form if you decide to go ahead with this plan.

strayling

Post by strayling »

In other news, a woman gets doxxed and complains about it:

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/trolls-will-always-win/

Her doxxer protests that it's no big deal and she deserved it anyway:

https://weev.livejournal.com/409913.html

The parallels are dizzying.

strayling

Post by strayling »

Please excuse the lack of quotes from those links. I'm amazed I even got them right from this device.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Mykeru wrote:

For some reason the idea that there could possibly be ever an "Officially Endorsed" anything by the Pit has me in stiches.

Excuse me?

*CLICHE TRIGGER WARNING*

For every two people here there seems to be at least three opinions. Seems easier to go nail jelly to the wall or herd cats than to formulate much less articulate an "Officially Endorsed" opinion.

The heat death of the universe is more likely to happen first.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Jan Steen wrote:One reason why I think it's a bad idea to advertise in that 'student' newspaper (if that's what it really is) is that it is not just some harmless students publication, but apparently some pretty extreme right-wing rag. Who wants to support that by giving them advertising money, and who is going to read it and take it seriously?

Please don't mention the Slymepit in any way or form if you decide to go ahead with this plan.
This plus I just can't envision the targeted audience taking a look at the 'pit (possibly a scat gif or two) and going "Yes, they are so right. PZ Myers is a dirty scumbag and I will neverever look at him again." If the 'pit wanted to reach a wider, more mainstream audience, it would have to clean up it's act. (Note: I am NOT advocating this.)

Finally, if you'd expect me (if I didn't know anything about the issue) to take such an ad seriously , you'd have to add a real name and someone who is willing to take over the responsibility to answer questions et al.

Any volunteers?

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Mykeru wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
Your ability to (intentionally?) miss the point in order to make what you think is a whiz-bang cheap shot is truly astounding.
As is your selective perception and fondness of onomatopoeia.

CuntajusRationality

piero wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote: Also, a fair number of the reviews are very positive, much like the examples below.
I'm not in the least surprised. Face-to-face interactions are usually conducted in a context that demands mutual respect; rage from a blog instead, and no holds are barred. Besides, Myers has failed to discipline his commentariat, the result being that its most deranged members have taken over the asylum. Not even Myers can step out of line; trapped by his own negligence, Myers has opted for toeing the line and make a virtue of it.

From the information you've gathered, I think we should draw two lessons:
a. Myers is (suprprise, surprise) human, has virtues and does his job well
b. Attacking him from the pages of a students newspaper will be seen as mere harassment. Remember that the students will have no context, and certainly won't be bothered to find it.
What about the idea, proposed first by others, of focusing entirely on the role Myers played in trying to incite others to trash copies of the newspaper - framing it as free expression issue instead?

Full page ad that in that same paper that includes an eloquent and concise defense of freedom of expression, plus brief summary of the allegations and facts WRT little Paul's role in trying to subvert that freedom, plus maybe some of his own words (e.g., something denouncing others for trying to silence opposing views) demonstrating his hypocrisy as well as his willingness to deny others the freedoms that he expects. Maybe add in a little disclaimer that there is no intended endorsement of any views or opinions expressed by the paper.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

strayling wrote:Will Watson still be welcomed on the SGU podcasts? Novella tries to avoid this sort of drama I know, but there are limits.
I would love it if SGU made a public break with Twatson, but it will never happen. It wouldn't shock me is had Zoe Quinned at least one Novella, or she has dirt on one from the years of Skepchick parties, or if not genuine dirt, then something she can make into a controversy. They're afraid of her. The best you can expect is that they'll quietly minimze her presence.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture.
[youtube]_h4DZeBleLs[/youtube]

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

My head's still spinning at the concept of trying to embarrass PZ Myers.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Hunt wrote:I don't see that it makes a hell of a lot of difference whether it's a SlymePit Production (tm) or not. FtB tars the pit with anything anyone from the pit ever does anyway, even if the pit happens to condemn it in general. That's how they think. Reddit is guilty of anything that appears on Reddit. An organization is guilty of anything any member of it does, etc. That's the overall motivation driving them to viciously thought police their own forums. Purity is more important to them than any type of diversity of opinion. It's better that ten valid ideas be suppressed than one impure thought go without hazing.

So, just in point of fact, it doesn't matter if you label it SlymePit or not. 'Cause they're gonna.
... And?

Follow your own logic.

No matter what anyone does, FTB will lie, make it 1000 times worse than it was (whatever happens) and complain that the "entire slymepit" is behind it.

So by your own logic, shoops are off the table, nobody should ever comment here, all insults are banned, all limericks are verboten, nobody is allowed to debate with FTB or talk about them and you shouldn't mention PZ and company even to repeat quotes they have said, because it will "reflect badly on the pit" when the usual suspects lie and misrepresent what is actually happening.

Ack, ya got me Peezus, right in mah reputation!

Now let me be clear that I am still not advocating doxxing, since apparently I have to make that clear or the response will be to imply that I love doxxing. :roll:

What is the point in having all these rules in a game that everyone here knows is fucking rigged? You're screwed no matter what you do. You've been called a rapist for posting here. And now it's suddenly bad to take out ads in a newspaper in order to run quotes, because a doxxer's own quotes make him look bad? That's some A+ shit right there. It's a newspaper that PZ hates, so unless he browses it (like the slymepit,) he probably wouldn't even see the ad and the only people who would see it are those with no love for Peez or his website.

Everyone here tries to make this about Skep. But Skep is one in a long line of people who have had their IRL jobs threatened, their dox dropped and their reputation tarnished by bullshit accusations. And it's always from the same small set of people, who don't play by your rules.

The pit is against "harassment?" Come the fuck on. What are shoops? What is commenting here? What is commenting at FTB/Pharyngula/Twitter? According to PZ and company, all of that shit is harassment.

These new moral laws for the 'pit seem a lot more intricate than just "don't dox." Seems like y'all have a pretty elaborate code of chivalry for the exact proper way to lie on the ground and get your nuts kicked by an opponent who doesn't obey your rules.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Gefan wrote:My head's still spinning at the concept of trying to embarrass PZ Myers.
LOL.
Next week we'll devise a way to make a turd stink.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Gumby wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:Advertising or similar in some student newspaper is childish and petty.
If it's done the wrong way, definitely. But so far it's the only halfway decent idea to come out of all the recent arguing.
I agree. I think it's a natural extension of the sort of mild trolling the Pit does online.

Keeping it informative, light and lulzy, there's no reason it couldn't be a tasteful little chuckle.

But whoever is running the ad should keep the source image files handy in case Myers or anyone else lies and claims the quotes are made up and it's libel.

zou3gou3

Post by zou3gou3 »

Malala Yousafzai, a girl who fought for the right of women to have an education, and in retaliation was shot by the Taliban, is awarded the the Nobel Peace Prize. And here is what that shit Rorschach has to say:

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

zou3gou3 wrote:Malala Yousafzai, a girl who fought for the right of women to have an education, and in retaliation was shot by the Taliban, is awarded the the Nobel Peace Prize. And here is what that shit Rorschach has to say:
Thanks for the heads up. I modified your words in response.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Eskarina wrote:
Mykeru wrote:
Eskarina wrote:
As is your selective perception and fondness of onomatopoeia.
Let's not get started on onomatopoeia. The pooeia was bad enough.

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Yemmy's got a new poem up. This one's centred on the theme of coming out of the closet, as it were. She provides us with this line:
Like a caterpillar so long cocooned

I burst out as a beautiful butterfly wrings

Spreading my colorful rainbow wings
Wow. Using a caterpillar-to-butterfly metaphor. Truly a mistress of original and thought-provoking verse, is our Yemmy.

strayling

Post by strayling »

katamari Damassi wrote:
strayling wrote:Will Watson still be welcomed on the SGU podcasts? Novella tries to avoid this sort of drama I know, but there are limits.
I would love it if SGU made a public break with Twatson, but it will never happen. It wouldn't shock me is had Zoe Quinned at least one Novella, or she has dirt on one from the years of Skepchick parties, or if not genuine dirt, then something she can make into a controversy. They're afraid of her. The best you can expect is that they'll quietly minimze her presence.
That would be an appropriate response as far as I'm concerned.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Mykeru wrote: I am fucking sick of people pulling things completely out of their asses in order to take a moral stand. Please stop pulling things out of your ass.
http://i.imgur.com/1VN8rJl.jpg

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

Gumby wrote:
zou3gou3 wrote:Malala Yousafzai, a girl who fought for the right of women to have an education, and in retaliation was shot by the Taliban, is awarded the the Nobel Peace Prize. And here is what that shit Rorschach has to say:
Thanks for the heads up. I modified your words in response.

Hm. Unclear if he made the tweet just before or just after the announcement. The WashPost had an article the day before in which Pope Francis was described as the leading contender.

feralandproud

Post by feralandproud »

[youtube]V2WYkx6finA[/youtube]

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

bovarchist wrote:
Eskarina wrote:As is your selective perception and fondness of onomatopoeia.
Let's not get started on onomatopoeia. The pooeia was bad enough.
I knew it was a mistake. Sorry. :shock:

mikelf

Post by mikelf »

CuntajusRationality wrote: What about the idea, proposed first by others, of focusing entirely on the role Myers played in trying to incite others to trash copies of the newspaper - framing it as free expression issue instead?

Full page ad that in that same paper that includes an eloquent and concise defense of freedom of expression, plus brief summary of the allegations and facts WRT little Paul's role in trying to subvert that freedom, plus maybe some of his own words (e.g., something denouncing others for trying to silence opposing views) demonstrating his hypocrisy as well as his willingness to deny others the freedoms that he expects. Maybe add in a little disclaimer that there is no intended endorsement of any views or opinions expressed by the paper.
Paying the chuckleheads at the Morris Northstar money to do what they should have, on principle, already done themselves seems like throwing good money after bad.

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Jan Steen wrote:One reason why I think it's a bad idea to advertise in that 'student' newspaper (if that's what it really is) is that it is not just some harmless students publication, but apparently some pretty extreme right-wing rag. Who wants to support that by giving them advertising money, and who is going to read it and take it seriously?

I agree that the North Star publication itself is in SJL lingo "problematic".

But I do think that getting "boots on the ground" at UMM would be in SJL lingo "totes awesome sauce".

This might be done by say

+ One or three classified ads in the "official" school paper AND the North Star seeking students looking to
+ start a free speech, first amendment society
+ start a skeptics society
+ start an atheist society
+ earn $15 per hour distributing flyers on campus
+ And very targeted facebook and google ads for the above too.

We could offer to sponsor them with some pizza money, and introductions to the skeptical atheist conference circuit and even speakers and videos.

I suspect just advertising for the above will create wonderful Internet drama and brown shorts for our favorite UMM brown shirt.

As I've said, I think satirical ads featuring his best quotes would work wonderfully, but depending on ad rates, and if they are in color or not, well, stating the obvious, there are some wonderful pz shoops that could be plastered around campus (I would suggest the halls of his classrooms, and doors near the administration and doors of his office building, and of course, the hentai tentacle rape shoops near the bathrooms.)

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

strayling wrote:In other news, a woman gets doxxed and complains about it:

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/trolls-will-always-win/

Her doxxer protests that it's no big deal and she deserved it anyway:

https://weev.livejournal.com/409913.html

The parallels are dizzying.
weev is an asshole.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

fuzzy wrote:I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture.
[youtube]_h4DZeBleLs[/youtube]
This version is a bit older:)

[youtube]Y5YW4qKOAVM[/youtube]

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Garlix wrote: Hm. Unclear if he made the tweet just before or just after the announcement. The WashPost had an article the day before in which Pope Francis was described as the leading contender.
*shrug* He used the word "recipient", so I figured he had written it after it was awarded.

Rat Bastard

Post by Rat Bastard »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
What about the idea, proposed first by others, of focusing entirely on the role Myers played in trying to incite others to trash copies of the newspaper - framing it as free expression issue instead?

That's pretty much what I've come to envision. Admittedly, I think it would be funny to do the mermaid thing, but upon further thought, I think a support of the paper type angle is the way to go. Keep it to the point, and the point here being support of the press against people who want to silence and censor. Can we use it as an opportunity to get wider recognition, well, sure. Make a bad joke or two, sure. But it's the hypocrisy of wanting to live in a free country, and then trying to silence those you don't agree with that should be the bigger issue.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Really?

Post by Really? »

James Caruthers wrote:
Hunt wrote:I don't see that it makes a hell of a lot of difference whether it's a SlymePit Production (tm) or not. FtB tars the pit with anything anyone from the pit ever does anyway, even if the pit happens to condemn it in general. That's how they think. Reddit is guilty of anything that appears on Reddit. An organization is guilty of anything any member of it does, etc. That's the overall motivation driving them to viciously thought police their own forums. Purity is more important to them than any type of diversity of opinion. It's better that ten valid ideas be suppressed than one impure thought go without hazing.

So, just in point of fact, it doesn't matter if you label it SlymePit or not. 'Cause they're gonna.
... And?

Follow your own logic.

No matter what anyone does, FTB will lie, make it 1000 times worse than it was (whatever happens) and complain that the "entire slymepit" is behind it.

So by your own logic, shoops are off the table, nobody should ever comment here, all insults are banned, all limericks are verboten, nobody is allowed to debate with FTB or talk about them and you shouldn't mention PZ and company even to repeat quotes they have said, because it will "reflect badly on the pit" when the usual suspects lie and misrepresent what is actually happening.

Ack, ya got me Peezus, right in mah reputation!

Now let me be clear that I am still not advocating doxxing, since apparently I have to make that clear or the response will be to imply that I love doxxing. :roll:

What is the point in having all these rules in a game that everyone here knows is fucking rigged? You're screwed no matter what you do. You've been called a rapist for posting here. And now it's suddenly bad to take out ads in a newspaper in order to run quotes, because a doxxer's own quotes make him look bad? That's some A+ shit right there. It's a newspaper that PZ hates, so unless he browses it (like the slymepit,) he probably wouldn't even see the ad and the only people who would see it are those with no love for Peez or his website.

Everyone here tries to make this about Skep. But Skep is one in a long line of people who have had their IRL jobs threatened, their dox dropped and their reputation tarnished by bullshit accusations. And it's always from the same small set of people, who don't play by your rules.

The pit is against "harassment?" Come the fuck on. What are shoops? What is commenting here? What is commenting at FTB/Pharyngula/Twitter? According to PZ and company, all of that shit is harassment.

These new moral laws for the 'pit seem a lot more intricate than just "don't dox." Seems like y'all have a pretty elaborate code of chivalry for the exact proper way to lie on the ground and get your nuts kicked by an opponent who doesn't obey your rules.
Come on, man. Have we even TRIED telling PZ our concerns in a calm, even voice and offering evidence to demonstrate why we have issues with what he's been doing for the past several years?

It's like you don't even want PZ peace in our time.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Brive1987 wrote: Somebody should do something about it.

It appears Skep thought it was just an FtB bread crumb doxxing. Now it appears there was inter-network collusion.

Could someone please compose a short limerick to deal with this. Thanks in advance. /snark.
Shove a rhetorical porcupine
Up your rhetorical ass.
Stick your rhetorical head in an oven
Turn on the rhetorical gas.

Slash you with a rhetorical bottle
That they rhetorically **broke**.
Stab in the rhetorical belly
All the rhetorical Jesus folk.

Harbor the rhetorical rapists
Drown them in the rhetorical sea.
But file some real lawsuits
Against the real doxxers, FTB.

sinister

Post by sinister »

Why is it okay to ask the CFI to do something about Melody Hensley? Or SGU to drop Watson? All of you seem all for that. I don't see any consistently here about talking to employers or sources of income.