Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Brive1987

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Brive1987 »

John Greg wrote:Well, I'll be damned. A couple of things I have learned this week:

1. Do not, ever, disagree with or criticise Mykeru, sinister, or Brive.

2. Do not, ever, quote, or even slightly paraphrase, Mykeru, sinister, or Brive.

Those yobbos (is there such a word?) ought to sign up for the Justicar of the Week award.

If it's ever created.

Pocket rockets for ya'll; pocket rockets. :character-oldtimer:
Don't be bloody stupid. I said in my "manifesto" that I doubted there would be consensus and I was happy to have the proposal thrown out the window.

In the face of Skeptickle potentially getting disciplined and that being the new normal, I was proposing we may want to threaten counter-doxx to stop future instances. If the answer was "no" there is a better idea, or "no" we would rather be Doxxer and fired than even consider that. Then fine.

What has really shitted me has been the misrepresentation (mirrored only by Zvan herself) that I wanted to doxx, I wanted to punish, I encourage an eye for an eye. That's not "disagreement" it's babble.

And to be honest I don't have the degree in psychiatry necessary to even start to understand it, all I know is it's fucked-up.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Two things:

1. First of all, Ol' Mykers EXPLICITLY stated he hasn't flounced.
2. This is my fifth day in Montreal, and I'm having my fifth meal if poutine.

FT

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Peezus:
What are you planning to leave, that will thrill people 40,000 years from now?
Yes, that's a good question, Peezus.

Let's see, you'll leave an abortive career as a scientist, an appallingly unthinking and ignorant suck-up to the ideology of those of your class, SJWism, doxxing, sleazy and cowardly attempts to harm those who disagree with and laugh at you, derision of de facto free speech (with hypocritical lip service to de jure free speech), and a pack of lies about the religious and atheists alike.

A bit of santorum that the future will mostly ignore, yet will occasionally notice enough to recognize an egotistical little man with far too little knowledge or talent to match his narcissism.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

I was a few days off and apparently you blew the pit apart.
Skep Tickle wrote:analysis presented w/o hyperbole (Nugent's & Aneris' approach) and humor

German humour is simply undetectable for the uninitiated. We're saying this for years, but alas, you don't speak German. :(

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

John Greg wrote:Brive, all your sophistry cannot change the simple basic fact that you encourage(d) retaliatory doxxing.

Eye for an eye; tooth for a tooth. And we all wander blind gumming our intellectual fodder.
At a certain point a group's circle closes and says "enough". But not here. I get it.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

http://i.imgur.com/n7gPI7E.jpg

Peezus is truly a pathological liar. Skep tickle was doxxed by a concerted action of Benson, Zvan and an FTB commenter.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
John Greg wrote:As of now, October 10, 2014, Ophie is still going on about cunt kicks...
http://i.imgur.com/RPuurLF.jpg
This is awesome :lol: :lol: :dance:

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Aneris wrote:I was a few days off and apparently you blew the pit apart.
Skep Tickle wrote:analysis presented w/o hyperbole (Nugent's & Aneris' approach) and humor

German humour is simply undetectable for the uninitiated. We're saying this for years, but alas, you don't speak German. :(
It certainly made Mel Brooks a rich man.

[youtube]yu2NqfISm9k[/youtube]

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Just testing my new sig. Probably won't be posting much for a while as the tossers on here who want to start attacking people IRL are not only tedious, but also sickening.
TTFN

dog puke

Post by dog puke »

Doch.

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

Lsuoma wrote:Two things:

1. First of all, Ol' Mykers EXPLICITLY stated he hasn't flounced.
2. This is my fifth day in Montreal, and I'm having my fifth meal if poutine.

FT
Point #2 will be instrumental with regards to your signature.

If you get to Ile des Souers, there may still be a gentlemen's club there called "Amazon". They had a lovely all you can eat buffet before the dancers went on.

Have a blast!

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

bhoytony wrote:Just testing my new sig. Probably won't be posting much for a while as the tossers on here who want to start attacking people IRL are not only tedious, but also sickening.
TTFN

And so it goes.

windy

Post by windy »

[youtube]DXwZUGV_LV8[/youtube]

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:It really seems to be about time for the FfTBtards to do something uber-awesome, so that the Pit stops eating its own offspring....
Well, it's not exactly uber awesome but me and Jen Mcreight had a very civil exchange* after I pointed out she looked a bit like Thomas from Downton Abbey in a certain picture: And the thread:
I was quite shocked and flustered actually. I'm just waiting for Oolon and Zvan to pop in with a list of my transgressions and to tell her off for neglecting to call me a rapist shitlord misogynist.

*No sarcasm

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Homeopathic Humour?

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Aneris wrote:
[youtube]kfyHUrL2O6g[/youtube]
Ja, das ist sehr gut funnygemeilientag! Ze ho, Ze ho, Ze ho. Oh, mein sidesenschlaft hast splittenkrank.

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

We know, because Monty Python documented German attempts to develop lethal humor.

Didn't exactly work.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

j/k Mykeru, best fishes, and hope to see you elsewhere if not here

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

hahahaha. Fucking Oolon. His parents brought home the afterbirth with him, didn't they?

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

John Greg wrote:Brive, all your sophistry cannot change the simple basic fact that you encourage(d) retaliatory doxxing.
Eye for an eye; tooth for a tooth. And we all wander blind gumming our intellectual fodder.
Ouf...

1. Doxxing
Doxxing is all about "what happens online, stays online". It's old school. And it makes sense, because noone's real life should be affected by trivialities, and noone should keep quiet because he/she fears petty backlash. However, once someone takes things from online to RL, that's where they are. Real life harrassment can, and should be, fought with real life backlash. This isn't about vindictiveness, it's about drawing a line in the sand - which, sometimes, requires you to take a step forward, to prevent that thing from happening again. If you don't want to do that, ok, but don't concern troll others over it.

2. Myers can rid himself of as many allies as he likes, he still can do damage to real people.
If you're trying to figure out if certain actions of Pit members are good or bad, try to figure out what they aim at. Do they aim at Myers isolating himself, or do they aim at protecting people from his attacks? And while you're at it, try to figure out what's more important to you. When you did that, you'll know what actions you'd like to see been taking.

3. "What has going after victimhood feminists ever achieved?"
Actually, quite a lot. Any and each of our beloved victimhood feminists are today seen as "controversial figures", aka dont-go-nears for non-ideological employers and advertisers. Adria Richards even lost her job because of the backlash she received over her shitty behaviour. And when it comes to figures like Peezus, Watson, Hensley - Well, it made them paranoid enough to lash out against anyone, losing a lot of formier allies in the process. So, in the long run, going after them makes a lot of sense.

4. "In the name of the Pit".
How is this even a topic? You cannot seriously be concerned with how your enemies see you. That's just dumb. These people are not your friends, and their opinion of you shouldn't matter 1 bit. And don't worry about how they will portray you, because they WILL lie about you, regardless of your actual behaviour.

Have you never wondered why 4c and Anon got away with so much shit ? Because anyone can claim the label. Only if you police members, you create a party line, something which then can rightly be seen as the Pit's "official" version of things, you offer something ppl can attack effectively. If you want to play it clever, allow anyone use the Pit label, and if the Pit gets criticised over it, point to the fact that there is no party line and that noone officially speaks for the Pit. All of the benefits of stirring shit up, none of the downsides.

5. Morris newspaper ad.
If you think it's fun, do it. It has no prospect of endangering PZ's job, and I doubt he reads that paper, but if you think it's cool, go ahead and don't let yourself be told otherwise by the hand-wringers. They smell like urine anyway.

6. SJW / Tone policing tendencies on the Pit
You know who you are. http://www.troll.me/images/ancient-alie ... urself.jpg

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Brive1987 wrote:
bhoytony wrote:Just testing my new sig. Probably won't be posting much for a while as the tossers on here who want to start attacking people IRL are not only tedious, but also sickening.
TTFN

And so it goes.
I'll venture to guess that one difference between the populations here is that some of us have been wounded RL by the kind of cultural bias that's on display, in one form or another. Things like, oh, say,, divorce and custody issues, maybe not even involving the interfuckingnet at all, and are living with their havingbeenfuckedwith RL lives, as opposed to idealist kiddies? We all live through it, they would too.

/shortrant

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Glen_Davidson wrote: And Mykers will amuse wherever whenever he goes
FTFY

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

That's a pretty uncharitable characterization of a proposal to consider a Mutual Assured Destruction approach as a kind of ultimatum. Agaon maybe this is a generational thing. You're reacting as if he were running around telling everyone to start lobbing the nukes now please.

Gumby
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Gumby »

Damion's as popular on FtB as he is here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BzoBzwNCcAAmeuS.jpg

But of course, he's superior to both sides.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

Iyeska, flos mali

10 October 2014 at 3:37 pm

Morgan, one of my cats is named Elvis. Elvis has a thing about spraying all over my bookshelves. I normally have them protected, at least the bottom shelves, but one shelf I forgot about, and the books were literally dripping with cat piss. No way to save them. I might kill that fucking cat.
I don't care what any of you pussies think! I'm gonna dox Cainajiyeska to the North Dakota SPCA before the crime occurs! :drool:

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Just off the top of my head I can think of at least six jokes which would be funny in both languages.

Just depends on how politically correct (or sick) you want those jokes to be.

I think the main difference between Germans and Americans is that when three Germans get together they form a club; when three Americans get together they form a religion.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

free thoughtpolice wrote:
Iyeska, flos mali

Morgan, one of my cats is named Elvis. Elvis has a thing about spraying all over my bookshelves. I normally have them protected, at least the bottom shelves, but one shelf I forgot about, and the books were literally dripping with cat piss. No way to save them. I might kill that fucking cat.
I don't care what any of you pussies think! I'm gonna dox Cainajiyeska to the North Dakota SPCA before the crime occurs! :drool:
More than welcome to do so, but what I think all the "anti-doxx" people were after is not doing it as "The Slymepit" without FT's crystal clear consent. I hear there is an app for that.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Nec_V20 wrote:

Just off the top of my head I can think of at least six jokes which would be funny in both languages.

Just depends on how politically correct (or sick) you want those jokes to be.

I think the main difference between Germans and Americans is that when three Germans get together they form a club; when three Americans get together they form a religion.
I think I got that joke :lol:

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Somehow, I appear to find myself in the only mafia social club in this part if the Rockies and our resident Guido has departed The Pit.
If I end the evening in cement Fluevogs for lack of advice on how to behave I shall be very annoyed.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

I hate it when pitters fight. If only y'all worked on your gloots, for the sloots, there'd be less conflict.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Gefan wrote:Somehow, I appear to find myself in the only mafia social club in this part if the Rockies and our resident Guido has departed The Pit.
If I end the evening in cement Fluevogs for lack of advice on how to behave I shall be very annoyed.
Don't worry. Mykeru explicitly said this wasn't a flounce.

windy

Post by windy »

Brive1987 wrote: It was a measure to apply certain consequences so they were unlikely to doxx again. A gamble to be sure, but with high enough stakes it might work in a definitive sense. But it would take resolve and consensus and the projection of brutal determination. So really three strikes against it.
That, and the totally foolproof plan cribbed from the Underpants Gnomes.

"Just for the sake of the argument", imagine that the FT receives an ultimatum from Grive1789, a brutally determined rhetorical ninja from the FTB. It says: stop the photoshops* and other rapey harassment immediately, or else a respected pit member will get doxxed (redacted info attached to show they mean business). And... that's it, everyone goes along with the demands? Or would we try to counter the "doxxing threat" (let's face it, that's how it would come across) by any means necessary?

(*no, photoshops and doxxing aren't equivalent, but it shouldn't matter for the purposes of the thought experiment)

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

fuzzy wrote:
Gefan wrote:Somehow, I appear to find myself in the only mafia social club in this part if the Rockies and our resident Guido has departed The Pit.
Good. I was not sure as his statement was vague enough to even mean 'I'm off for a cup of tea'

I know people are extremely angry and some will be very frustrated at all the talk and no action. But I do believe our talk over the last two years has been highly effective in keeping the issues alive and stopping people from sweeping it all under the rug. This has all been underpinned by certain principles of basic decency such as no doxxing or affecting real lives so any suggestion, even mild, that seems to go against this is bound to cause issues. Also the anger has lead to some posts here being misread which has made matters a lot worse.

Many people read this forum who we never know about so the message is getting out there. So we are all effective in our own little way. No need to be miserable.

We now see the true colours of the SJW's in all their glory as they fight like rats in a corner to abuse and control the narrative. They are flailing out like wild animals, not caring who they hurt. Only the most deluded will not now know of their tricks and all that is firmly evidenced and supported by the hard work put in by many here over the years.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Iyeska, flos mali

The cat's probably angry and jealous that the damn rats dominate the house, leaving bits of sticky candy, Cheetos, Pop-tarts, and whatever-the-hell-other-crap she feeds them, all over the place.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Opyt wrote:
I thought the joke was that when three Germans get together, they invade Poland.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

windy wrote:
Brive1987 wrote: It was a measure to apply certain consequences so they were unlikely to doxx again. A gamble to be sure, but with high enough stakes it might work in a definitive sense. But it would take resolve and consensus and the projection of brutal determination. So really three strikes against it.
That, and the totally foolproof plan cribbed from the Underpants Gnomes.

"Just for the sake of the argument", imagine that the FT receives an ultimatum from Grive1789, a brutally determined rhetorical ninja from the FTB. It says: stop the photoshops* and other rapey harassment immediately, or else a respected pit member will get doxxed (redacted info attached to show they mean business). And... that's it, everyone goes along with the demands? Or would we try to counter the "doxxing threat" (let's face it, that's how it would come across) by any means necessary?

(*no, photoshops and doxxing aren't equivalent, but it shouldn't matter for the purposes of the thought experiment)
The nuance is weak with you.

As you point out the analogy is flawed from the get go.

Anti-doxing is a principle both sides held to (by and large).

My proposal was a response to a specific calculated escalation that may cost a forum member real life pain. So your "imagine if they wanted us to stop rapey harrassment" line is bullshit.

And my proposal specifically said that the threat would be publicly vague - backed privately by details so it couldn't be dismissed. So no putting of people against the wall.

And the discussed target is someone the horde desperately want to protect from his self confessed rapes (albeit rapes apparently pre-programmed into him by our patriarchal rape culture). So strong baboon concerns were built into the proposal.

tl/dr The proposal was about reversion to the status quo, with overwhelming incentive to do so with no loss of face. Your scenario is, well your scenarios. Enjoy it alone.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Windy, you will note I'm now trying to avoid flippant insults. This is a zen like state I learned at JREF debating Hornbeck.

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

Sulman wrote:
Opyt wrote:
I thought the joke was that when three Germans get together, they invade Poland.
To celebrate Poland joining the EU, Hans Schmidt decides to visit.
At the Polish border the guard asks him; "Name?"
Hans answers; " Hans Schmidt".
The guard then asks; "Occupation?".
Hans smiles and says; "Nein. Just visiting".

Thank you. Don't forget to try the waitress and tip your veal.

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

windy wrote:[youtube]DXwZUGV_LV8[/youtube]
Why are cyclops Bert and Ernie speaking Klingon? :think:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

BarnOwl wrote:
Iyeska, flos mali

The cat's probably angry and jealous that the damn rats dominate the house, leaving bits of sticky candy, Cheetos, Pop-tarts, and whatever-the-hell-other-crap she feeds them, all over the place.
I don't think the sticky stuff is candy. :bjarte:

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Obviously I'm not quite there yet. :)

Really?

Post by Really? »

fuzzy wrote:
Huh?

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

TTFN

Yeah, it might be good if certain people reviewed their Nietzsche:

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Now, if you're gonna go to the time to write up a doxxing manifesto... You've stepped over the line to FTB Horde bullshit no matter how much you try to walk it back. When you're calling employers, you're walking into Glen Laden territory, no matter how much you try to walk it back. When you're going after jobs, just rename yourself Dongle Richards and admit you've lost the plot.

Now, I can't help if those three refuse to see they're behaving like the baboons. But I think a lot, if not the majority, of us do.

Biohazard

Post by Biohazard »

Really? wrote:
[youtube]XlJuxpeTats[/youtube]

J/K, I have no dog in this fight.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Sulman wrote:
Opyt wrote:
You shouldn't make jokes about that, my uncle died in a concentration camp.

He was blind drunk and fell out of the guard tower.

You see, now that was a joke. And it was translated directly word for word from German.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Gefan wrote:
Sulman wrote:
Opyt wrote:
To celebrate Poland joining the EU, Hans Schmidt decides to visit.
At the Polish border the guard asks him; "Name?"
Hans answers; " Hans Schmidt".
The guard then asks; "Occupation?".
Hans smiles and says; "Nein. Just visiting".

Thank you. Don't forget to try the waitress and tip your veal.
I tried the veal, it's veally veally good.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

dog puke wrote:
Lsuoma wrote:It really seems to be about time for the FfTBtards to do something uber-awesome, so that the Pit stops eating its own offspring....
Maybe they'll dox Mykeru. They know where he lives.
They tried in the past and doxxed his ex wife instead.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

As the traveling salesman approached the farmer's house, he had seen several large birds zooming along the ground at high speed. Asked about this, the farmer said "Well ... Maw, my boy, and me, we all three of us like the leg off a chicken, and so as to not have to kill two birds each meal, we bred these 3-legged chickens.”
”How do they taste?" asks the salasman.
”Can't say. We ain't been able to catch one yet."

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

http://i.imgur.com/vlGYpcO.jpg

I love these QR stickers. They are 8"x8" so scannable from any car or bus that passes by a bus stop that you've slapped the sticker over. They also come in 3"x3" post it note pads perfect for placing on BART doors and METRO poles and subway windows, but mostly easily removed.

Very very inexpensive too, about 3 cents a sticker.

Selenite

Post by Selenite »

TiBo wrote:
Ouf...

1. Doxxing
Doxxing is all about "what happens online, stays online". It's old school. And it makes sense, because noone's real life should be affected by trivialities, and noone should keep quiet because he/she fears petty backlash. However, once someone takes things from online to RL, that's where they are. Real life harrassment can, and should be, fought with real life backlash. This isn't about vindictiveness, it's about drawing a line in the sand - which, sometimes, requires you to take a step forward, to prevent that thing from happening again. If you don't want to do that, ok, but don't concern troll others over it.
I agree that the real principle is "What happens online stays online" and that this is the thing to focus on. Calling employers escalates fights. it's the internet version of pulling a knife during a shoving match.

I wish we had a term for "escalating the argument"/"calling teacher"/"dragging online fights offline". Doxxing is one way to do this. But obviously there are others. And it sucks that PZ can hide behind the fact that this wasn't technically doxxing -- after all his alies revealed the person's name ages ago.

I also agree that doxxing (and related excalations) call for a response. Doxxing is an effective tactic. So if there's no penalty for doing it, people will dox. So, some real life consequence seems entirely appropriate.

Tactically, I'd suggest something that isn't technically a doxxing. PZ's tenured. I'm not sure that his followers are employed. So, they'd be perfectly fine trading tit-for-tat calls to employers. And lots of the undecides have staked their identity on being neutral. They'd love any excuse to claim that both sides are dumb.

Printing one of PZ's blog posts as a newspaper ad seems much better. It will sting. And it's not technically doxxing. So there's less chance for 'neutral' observers to use it to dismiss both sides.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Really? wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
Huh?
D'oh! I stand corrected.

Really?

Post by Really? »

JacquesCuze wrote:http://i.imgur.com/vlGYpcO.jpg

I love these QR stickers. They are 8"x8" so scannable from any car or bus that passes by a bus stop that you've slapped the sticker over. They also come in 3"x3" post it note pads perfect for placing on BART doors and METRO poles and subway windows, but mostly easily removed.

I thought this was the reason Mykeru flounced. Instead of actually DOING something about Myers, let's just keep calling him a festering, moldy fuckhole in the dick of contemporary atheism.

GOT U, PEEEE ZEE!

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Really? wrote: Huh?
The important thing is Mykeru can feel superior to both sides.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
It'd be quite a twist if Mykery went over to the SJW side. :popcorn:

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Really? wrote:
fuzzy wrote:
Huh?
Sucky flounce.

I know, turn it into a T-shirt. Then don't sell it to the 'Pit, and piss them off really good.

You think it's all fun and games, then you take a Mykeru to the pit. But it flounces off.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Personally I liked Mykeru, and I'm kinda disappointed that you folks wouldn't have aired this pent up grief in front of him. Just sayin'.
;)

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Great. This thing has removed Mykeru and (temp hopefully) Skeptical while forcing a humiliating apology to Peez from pitter royalty.

Meanwhile there has been only a petition of a quiver in the inter-webs in opposition to this new tool d'jour.

Clearly FtB sees doxxing as entirely counter productive.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Really? wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:http://i.imgur.com/vlGYpcO.jpg

I thought this was the reason Mykeru flounced. Instead of actually DOING something about Myers, let's just keep calling him a festering, moldy fuckhole in the dick of contemporary atheism.

GOT U, PEEEE ZEE!
I believe I have no control over why anyone flounced, but if the pit needs me to be the reason Mykeru flounced I'll accept that.

I am open to suggestions from you as to what should or could be done.

And I am genuinely sorry once again for committeeing your suggestions to a weak tea.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

TheMudbrooker wrote:
If he can't take it then he shouldn't have tried to dish it out.