Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Tribble

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Tribble »

mikelf wrote:
Really? wrote: Jesus Tentacle Christ...using real names against people like PZ, Smellody and Oafie?
Here is the thing. I was a semi-regular participant in the evolution vs. creation wars under my IRL name, despite living in one of the most religiously retrograde areas of the US. I never operated with a fear that any of the worst of the creationists, like Davescot, Sal Cordova, or William Dembski would ever try to go after me in real life. Yet here I am operating under a pseudonym completely unrelated to my real name because of the completely immoral, reactionary behaviors of PZ, Greg Laden, Stephanie Zvan, et al.

Says a lot, doesn't it?
Same thing. In fact, when I registered at the Pit I didn't even use my normal/regular psuedo-anon nym, but one I only use here because I didn't know just how far the Horde would go in trying to destroy/shun people and I wanted to be able to post around the Internet without them constantly screwing with me.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Cliché Guevara wrote:I had forgotten all about that Tim Channel guy until I saw his comment at Nugent's.

I did not enjoy.
I think of no comment to make about Tim Channel that would not be ableist, if not speciesist.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Viele heissen sich Udo, oder Dave, oder Karl-Heinz. Ich heisse mich lieber D-4718161.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Git wrote:I'm straight and I adore kittehs as much as Prof. Ceiling Cat does.
As does my bf. He didn't like kittehs at first, now he has three of them. I won him over with the love I had for my dear departed "Booty."

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

AndrewV69 wrote:
Tribble wrote:Why do you always find the missed edit right after you hit the post button... sigh
JUST USE THE FRIGGING EDIT BUTTON! WTF IS THE MATTER WITH YOU?

Too busy raepin' to edit shit, shitlord!

Tapir

Post by Tapir »

Ich nichten lichten.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

another lurker wrote:
As does my bf. He didn't like kittehs at first, now he has three of them. I won him over with the love I had for my dear departed "Booty."
Cishet male nacho grande here and had tiny girl boots kitteh for 20 years meself.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Cliché Guevara wrote:I had forgotten all about that Tim Channel guy until I saw his comment at Nugent's.

I did not enjoy.
I think of no comment to make about Tim Channel that would not be ableist, if not speciesist.
He's on the artistic spectrum.

CaptainFluffyBunny

Post by CaptainFluffyBunny »

Another Cis hetro dudebro, always had cats, always will. For those curious about Nugent's orientation http://www.michaelnugent.com/best/my-tr ... -holliday/

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nec_V20 wrote: I have to admit that when someone does air quotes in front of me I get a barely resisted urge just to take their fingers and bend them back as far as they will go.

But the biscuit has to be taken by this muppet in Thunderf00t's video:

[youtube]ApozFPboUAQ[/youtube]

Never mind the whiney voice, but if she were talking with her arms like that in front of me I would be sorely tempted to break them - and I don't mean just one of the arms nor in one place either.
Yeah, I'd reflexively block that, bump her back a few steps with the halter, then drive her hind end in both directions until she was fully compliant. Then, only after I had her head lowered and she was licking & chewing, would I untie her & let her loose.

Go ahead, Stephanie -- you know you want to.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

another lurker wrote:
How straight can he be if he loves Booty?

Really?

Post by Really? »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote: I have to admit that when someone does air quotes in front of me I get a barely resisted urge just to take their fingers and bend them back as far as they will go.

But the biscuit has to be taken by this muppet in Thunderf00t's video:

[youtube]ApozFPboUAQ[/youtube]

Never mind the whiney voice, but if she were talking with her arms like that in front of me I would be sorely tempted to break them - and I don't mean just one of the arms nor in one place either.
Yeah, I'd reflexively block that, bump her back a few steps with the halter, then drive her hind end in both directions until she was fully compliant. Then, only after I had her head lowered and she was licking & chewing, would I untie her & let her loose.

Go ahead, Stephanie -- you know you want to.
Remember, if someone at FTB says you were describing a rape fantasy, just blast them for kink shaming you.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:

I did not enjoy.
No way! You came up with 'developmentally disabled boll weevil' too?

FYI n00bs: while Lsuoma Il-Jong went missing for 35 straight days, The Tim Channel spammed the Pit with impunity.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

[youtube]TlvE0PLx0ug[/youtube]

I have respect for Tfoot, but c'mon man.

Look, Molyneux is still a nutter and a cult leader, but this is plainly quote-mining for outrage. The explanations in the full interviews provide a lot of context which make Molyneux seem more reasonable.

Still agree that Molyneux was probably being dishonest and lying about his wife's reprimand. The best the video rebuttal could offer was word games and semantics, even though it's plain what Joe Rogan is asking and that Molyneux's response is a blanket "it's all lies" which is plainly false.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

NoGodsEver wrote:Serious question: has PZ ever, in the history of Pharyngula, apologized for anything? I know he's sort of known for refusing to apologize even when shown to be manifestly wrong, but just wondering if ever, maybe years ago, he apologized for something. Anyone know?
According to one of the comments on Nugent's latest, Myers apologized for his 'sugar daddy' comment about Bill Maher. IMO, he only dug himself in deeper though, by saying that prostitutes lack free agency.
pz myers wrote:I apologise for the “sugar daddy” comment, which implies that the woman had no say in the relationship.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Nec_V20 wrote:
Although, knowing that I am German I would have thought you would have gone with "Fritz" instead of "Frances". :P
It's a specific reference to a scene in 'Stripes'.

[youtube]0OnpkDWbeJs[/youtube]

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm halfway through "My Years In Siberia" by Nutzak Frozov

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nugent rises, surely & steadily, in my esteem:

http://www.michaelnugent.com/2014/10/12 ... -by-force/

Some great insights I'd never considered before.

(Sure he still considers me an obnoxious asshole. And rightly so!)

And Lurker Person is right: Nugent, for one example, is posting serious shit about religion & atheism in the world, and all anybody cares about is the junior high drama churned out by the baboons. All the more reason to excise those malignant fucks from the A/S body.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

James Caruthers wrote:
Really? wrote:
I guess I'm just a bit surprised at things. A few of us are thinking we should switch to real names in these arguments?

http://rosswarner.com/B2328.jpg

"That's right, men! March tall and proud and stay in formation, no matter how many balls fly past your ears! No force in the world can beat us if we follow the gentlemanly rules of battle!"

Jesus Tentacle Christ...using real names against people like PZ, Smellody and Oafie?
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Seems like the logical conclusion of this "action is bad, wanking is good, shitposting is better" Chivalric Code.

Why wouldn't you go ahead and give your real names and information to people who have proven they love to dox, harass and try to fire those who say things they don't like? Why not list right here on this forum, which they can read and do read, which of your various names or nyms are your actual legal name?

It's not like they've ever accused people of committing rape without any evidence to prove their claims, and then gone on in future to list that person as a "confirmed rapist."

I can't see any way for this to backfire.
I'm sort of sympathetic to the idea. When Myers started calling us the Slimepit we didn't whine or complain or ask for retractions or apologies, we just embraced it. Now he wants to shame us with our words? What better way to show that we are not ashamed than to use our real names? Dox this, motherfucker. I am Steve Vanden-Eykel. Do you see that I am not afraid of you? Fuck you if you doubt me; tell these people something they don't know about me...

...sorry, lost my head for a second there.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

James Caruthers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote: Being a smartass about it did backfire on one person.

They had already been through Microsoft Second Line Enterprise tech-support and his case got escalated to me. I was pretty sure I knew what was going on because I recognised it as something similar that I had spent days on to solve months earlier.

When I said my name he used the diminutive of it. I told him not to do that again. He told me to lighten up and used the diminutive again and I hung up - the solution to his problem was a purely Microsoft problem and nothing to do with our stuff. I told the English line that he was banned and that neither I nor any of my boys would talk to him.

About four hours later I was handed an absolutely grovelling E-Mail sent into the English line from the guys boss. I told the boss of the English line to send an E-Mail back that I would talk to them when the guy I had been talking to was gone.

I got in at 9AM the next morning and told that the company was in the queue for me. The guy on the line was very careful to avoid using my name at all. I found out from him that the other guy was suspended pending a disciplinary.

I really do hate every diminutive of my name.
Seems rather SJWish to get a guy on suspension for being a bit of a dick (he was probably joking around tbh) over the phone one time.
You just made the list, buddy.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Sulman wrote:
Guest wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:21 guests? Wow! Hello guests! Don't be shy.
http://i.imgur.com/SqNOA43.png
Katamari 'initiates' every new member with his magic bumfinger.

You may be excused with a doctor's note, or ask your doctor to recommend 'bumfistorol' which Katamari is also qualified to dispense.
Sometimes Katamari will clap and whoop while his bumfinger is inside you. Don't be alarmed, it's some cultural bollocks. Respect his lived experiences, please.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

The gloves have come off - someone just dropped a page from Little Paul's medical records. INAD but this looks completely legit to me...

http://i.imgur.com/Amsm5IW.jpg

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

[youtube]OTHRg_iSWzM[/youtube]

ConcentratedH2O, OM

:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

bovarchist wrote:
We'll always have Paris.

[youtube]vjsDUmXi4tQ[/youtube]

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

CuntajusRationality wrote:The gloves have come off - someone just dropped a page from Little Paul's medical records. INAD but this looks completely legit to me...

The only place you could got these dox was from a real doctor! I'm positive Avi has nothing to do with this though..

ConcentratedH2O, OM

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... child.html

:whistle:

(I guess in the current climate, I should state explicitly that this is not doxxing. It has nothing to do with anyone who comments here, or appears by inference in the comments here. Draw from it whatever message you may find applicable to the usual Pit favorite topics of conversation. Wow, that was a tedious disclaimer!)

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

bovarchist wrote:
Dox this, motherfucker. I am Steve Vanden-Eykel. ...
Me too.

http://i.imgur.com/rLRWAtc.jpg

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

free thoughtpolice wrote:Question: I'm trying to post at a blog in Patheos, which uses Disqus. It recognizes my email and password but rejects my username.
I assume I must have registered with a Disqus blog in the past using a nym I now don't remember. Is there a way to reset with another username or do I have to start a new email account and begin from scratch?

Disqus let's you change your username so you should just be able to do a forgot PW thingie if you originally signed up with this email .

Really?

Post by Really? »

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

KiwiInOz wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
Me too.

And just to clarify, I am NOT the Steve Vanden-Eykel who lives in Plano Texas, so don't go bugging him. :naughty:

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

JacquesCuze wrote:[youtube]OTHRg_iSWzM[/youtube]
I'll see your Bobby McGee and raise you a Ball and Chain

[youtube]RhIvb8h2oEw[/youtube]

greylurker

Post by greylurker »

JackSkeptic wrote: <snip>
To fail a quote once is unfortunate, to fail twice is carelessness. If you know where I got that quote from you win the nerds prize for this week.
<snip>
It's in an Oscar Wild play, The Importance of being Ernest. It was in response to a character saying he had lost both parents when he was a baby. Replace 'fail' with 'lose a parent'.
<snip>
Anyway, on with the fun.
Aha! Thought I might have been drawing too long a bow.

The (going from memory - where the hell is that paperback?) Fleming Goldfinger quote was:
'Mr Bond, they have a saying in Chicago - "once is happenstance, twice is co-incidence, third time is enemy action".

Not close enough.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Sulman wrote:

You may be excused with a doctor's note, or ask your doctor to recommend 'bumfistorol' which Katamari is also qualified to dispense.
Sometimes Katamari will clap and whoop while his bumfinger is inside you. Don't be alarmed, it's some cultural bollocks. Respect his lived experiences, please.
Are you spreading rumors that I have the clap? I WILL DOX YOU MUTHERFUCKER!

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

katamari Damassi wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Sulman wrote:

Are you spreading rumors that I have the clap? I WILL DOX YOU MUTHERFUCKER!
If the clap fits ...

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

Personal information redacted at poster's request.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Little Peezus is way too big. Scale down.

[youtube]qu9OAT5hJnc[/youtube]

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

CuntajusRationality wrote:The gloves have come off - someone just dropped a page from Little Paul's medical records. INAD but this looks completely legit to me...

Plus seven minutes and counting -- I can finally breath again.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

http://i.imgur.com/8rmrOSs.jpg

I would love to have posted this with a witty Shoop alteration, but in the end I thought it just stood best on its own.

Look at the perfect framing.

Whoever took this photo clearly saw the unspeakable horrors, which no man can witness and return unaltered, of one of the Elder Gods.

He creeps amongst the depths of unfathomable chaos, seeking souls to throw back into his vicious maw.

He has a brain twisted by his own corrupt passage from woman to the world.

And he is eternally in fear of being seen by the eyes of female humans, preferring to first see them approaching, then to cross the metaphorical road and continue from there to watch. Unseen.

La-Den.

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

[youtube]UDXUDehUgIQ[/youtube]

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Attachments
image.jpg
(206.97 KiB) Downloaded 166 times

John Greg
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by John Greg »

People be devastating me with these Janis clips.

Without a doubt, the best, the very best of the best of white blues singers of the 60s.

My brother, lucky fucky duck that he is, ran up on stage at the Newport folk festival in the mid 68 or 69 and gave her a big fat sloppy kiss ... which she returned! with enthusiasm.

She destroys me.

Bastards. The bunch of you. Ableist bluesists Janisists cutting contesting my old white guy cishet but sometimes sneakin' in a quick anonymous faggy BJ at Steam and all the rest of you too.

Hmmph.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

bovarchist wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:

<snip>
Seems rather SJWish to get a guy on suspension for being a bit of a dick (he was probably joking around tbh) over the phone one time.
Get in line mate :lol:

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

A friend of mine who passed away a couple of years ago told me he went to the same high school as Janis Joplin in East Texas. He and his buddies had a rock and roll combo and there was this chobby chick folk singer type they wouldn't let into their band, and that was Janis Joplin. D'oh!

Gefan

Post by Gefan »

NoGodsEver wrote:Serious question: has PZ ever, in the history of Pharyngula, apologized for anything? I know he's sort of known for refusing to apologize even when shown to be manifestly wrong, but just wondering if ever, maybe years ago, he apologized for something. Anyone know?
I think he apologized (not to say groveled) to Melissa McEwan after the "Michelle Bachmann with corn-dog" incident.
Then again, I think my courage would probably falter if faced by an enraged Mastodon, too.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

KiwiInOz wrote:
bovarchist wrote:
Me too.
I know it's hard to believe, but me too:

fuzzy, thanks for the shoop!

The Tim Channel

Post by The Tim Channel »

Just wanted to drop by and see what a den of rapists smells like. Smells like teen spirit, but that aside, you bastards managed to drag me back into this shit? FFS. I thought you had this shit under control?
http://thetimchannel.wordpress.com/2014 ... angsistas/
Enjoy.

The Tim Channel

Post by The Tim Channel »

Gefan wrote:
I think he apologized (not to say groveled) to Melissa McEwan after the "Michelle Bachmann with corn-dog" incident.
Then again, I think my courage would probably falter if faced by an enraged Mastodon, too.
He doesn't apologize, he kicks you in the balls and then blocks you. Then his misshapen minions go to town love bombing him for his service and repays his devotion by mindlessly piling on worthless rhetoric and ad hominem attacks. You know, just like Ken Ham and the creationists he used to give two tugs on a dead dog's cock about. Thanks for asking.

Enjoy.

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Living in Infamy
Attachments
image.jpg
(29.12 KiB) Downloaded 262 times

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

James Caruthers wrote:

They had already been through Microsoft Second Line Enterprise tech-support and his case got escalated to me. I was pretty sure I knew what was going on because I recognised it as something similar that I had spent days on to solve months earlier.

When I said my name he used the diminutive of it. I told him not to do that again. He told me to lighten up and used the diminutive again and I hung up - the solution to his problem was a purely Microsoft problem and nothing to do with our stuff. I told the English line that he was banned and that neither I nor any of my boys would talk to him.

About four hours later I was handed an absolutely grovelling E-Mail sent into the English line from the guys boss. I told the boss of the English line to send an E-Mail back that I would talk to them when the guy I had been talking to was gone.

I got in at 9AM the next morning and told that the company was in the queue for me. The guy on the line was very careful to avoid using my name at all. I found out from him that the other guy was suspended pending a disciplinary.

I really do hate every diminutive of my name.
Yeah, I am thinking that having someone with a huge chip on their shoulder that behaves this way about a variant of their name isn't a good match for a phone tech support operator.

Should tech support put up with all forms of abuse? Absolutely not. But half the battle is keeping the customer cool so that you can focus on the problem.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Odintsova wrote:Living in Infamy

When one is confronted with accusations of being a "hate site", one needs first consider the source of the accusation.

Melody Hensley claims to have gotten PTSD from twitter..... Sigh....I think we know where we can file that.

Does her caretaker know she is back on the twitter crack?

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

LurkerPerson wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:
Odintsova wrote:http://www.d-intl.com/2014/09/10/in-swe ... s/?lang=en

Has this been posted about already?
The endgame is genuinely terrifying.
I wouldn't necessarily hold that guy up as a martyr for free speech. He's been convicted before, among other things for placing a canister marked "Zyklon B" outside a synagogue, and for a picture showing three black men (who are publicly known, one was the victim of attempted murder and another the leader of some organization) in nooses. His "art" skirts the edges of actual threats. I believe that noose picture was also among the nine which were at issue this last time. And reading about it, he was unable to explain to the court's satisfaction what his actual intent with the pictures were. Funnily enough, intent could have actually been magic. A sparkly magic get out of jail free card.
Really? Seems relatively clear to me:

"But what about Yusupha Sallah, the man who was beaten up and almost thrown from a bridge in the Malmö district of Kroksbäck? Was it really necessary to include his picture on the poster depicting three blacks hanging from a bridge and with the caption: ”Hang on Afrophobians”?

– Yes, it was necessary. It wasn’t about him at all. The thing was that this ugly attack was immediately labeled a racist hate crime committed by whites. Momodou Jallow went straight to the media and condemned white Swedish racists but as soon as it became clear that the perpetrators were Kurds, the entire debate vanished.

– As a matter of fact, Yusupha Sallah hadn’t even seen the picture before the police called him and informed him that he was offended. My picture was a kick in the butt of the politically correct and certainly not an encouragement to lynch blacks. It is completely insane to believe otherwise."

But no, you're right. Treating this guy worse than they treat rapists and murderers (as long as they're POC of course) is totally normal, and not a symptom of how fucked up Sweden has become. Truly his stuff is verbotten and must be consigned to the righteous flames, to purify it of it's evil white patriarchal taint.
ps: fuck Sweden, I can't wait until that pos country fucking collapses under the weight of it's own naive, unrealistic ideology. Will be a wake-up call for the rest of Europe.
Yeah, that's going to happen :roll: That's an interesting quote from the assaulted guy by the way, because according to this article he said:

"The picture is disgusting [...] I want the artist to stop doing this. I don't want more problems, I just want to live in peace with my family."

I can't claim to know which version is true, or if that person has changed their mind in either direction. But it's certainly not as one sided as you seem to think.

I also can't claim to know if the Dan Park guy is racist or not. I can only judge his actions, and racist or not, he's like a little kid taunting someone to hit him and then wailing when they do. He wants the controversy, for whatever reason. As for him being treated worse than rapists or murderers... nah, that's too patently ridiculous to respond to really.

Sweden's certainly no utopia. We've got our problems, and handling immigration/racism is definitely one of them. Park does nothing to help or illuminate that. He's just another attention seeker.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Weak tea, but there's this (bolding added): https://archive.today/RYazS
Myers wrote:FtBCon postponed

A few of our organizers had collisions with their schedule, so we’re putting off FtBCon for a few months. I’m partly at fault, so blame me — I just got back from the UK, had a week to get everything together, and then looked at my calendar and saw that the date was scheduled right on top of our field experience for incoming biology students. Yeah, I was going to somehow manage an online conference requiring a couple of days of connectivity while shepherding a horde of first year college students around Lake Itasca.

A few others had similar problems with the timing — the end of August turns out to be very awkward for many of us, with academics and students facing other transitions — but I’ll let you all say it’s entirely my fault.

We do have a great lineup in readiness, and it will be even better given a few more months to develop, so none of this is a problem with the speakers, but is entirely due to the distractions that depleted our collection of available organizers.
(It was followed 2 days later with a short blog post about the biology camp, in which he included a photo of about 8 students, from the back, one of which would probably be considered unflattering by the student & in which her identity might well be apparent to people who'd met her, in part due to a haircut that appears to be moderately unique. That's not a FERPA violation, but IMO it seems dicey for a professor to post a photo of his own, actual students - esp if they weren't aware the photo was taken and/or didn't consent for it to be posted publicly. My 2 cents, YMMV, yadda yadda.)

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:http://i.imgur.com/8rmrOSs.jpg

I would love to have posted this with a witty Shoop alteration, but in the end I thought it just stood best on its own.

Whoever took this photo clearly saw the unspeakable horrors, which no man can witness and return unaltered, of one of the Elder Gods.

He creeps amongst the depths of unfathomable chaos, seeking souls to throw back into his vicious maw.

And he is eternally in fear of being seen by the eyes of female humans, preferring to first see them approaching, then to cross the metaphorical road and continue from there to watch. Unseen.

La-Den.
*wipes tear from eye* Beautiful.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Odintsova wrote:Living in Infamy
Hate is not always wrong. Yes I hate SJWs and all they stand for. And Melody, you hate us to.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

TedDahlberg wrote:

La-Den.
Why is it that every time I see laden, I picture him holding a dental drill, repeating over and over

" is it safe?"

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Spike13 wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:

La-Den.
Why is it that every time I see laden, I picture him holding a dental drill, repeating over and over

" is it safe?"
Don't know who the fuckwit on the left is but he has that dead eye stare of a man who has been beaten into place by his SJW wife (wait are we still allowed to call them wives or has that word been banned?) and has now given up on life.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

A great quote from the comments on Nugent's blog:
Shatterface wrote:People are calling what happened to FTB the result of ‘radical feminism’ or ‘social justice’, or whatever – but really it was an infestation of the same postmodern claptrap that lead me to Benson and Sangstrom’s book and ultimately to FTB: epistemic nihilism, political posturing and weaponised identity politics by people who actually belong to economic, cultural and political elites.
Spot on.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Also, how have the mighty fallen. Ophelia Benson used to be a skeptic!
Ophelia Benson and Jeremy Sangstrom wrote:Too much attention to “points of view” with too little scepticism can get innocent people convicted of crimes, on the basis of testimony from people with “points of view” but no evidence. A number of US court cases dealing with putative recovered memory, Satanic ritual abuse and child abuse in day-care facilities have achieved just such a result in the past two decades. Law-enforcement officials and juries were solemnly instructed to “listen to the children”, and long prison sentences were handed out to people who were not, in fact, Satanists or secret child-murders. The dangers seem obvious, but not everyone sees them.
Tat's exactly what's she advocating now. "Believe the victims" is what the SJWs bleat every time someone questions the flimsy evidence (or total lack thereof) behind their rape and sexual harassment accusations!

What happened to you, Ophelia?

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Kirbmarc wrote:Also, how have the mighty fallen. Ophelia Benson used to be a skeptic!
Ophelia Benson and Jeremy Sangstrom wrote:Too much attention to “points of view” with too little scepticism can get innocent people convicted of crimes, on the basis of testimony from people with “points of view” but no evidence. A number of US court cases dealing with putative recovered memory, Satanic ritual abuse and child abuse in day-care facilities have achieved just such a result in the past two decades. Law-enforcement officials and juries were solemnly instructed to “listen to the children”, and long prison sentences were handed out to people who were not, in fact, Satanists or secret child-murders. The dangers seem obvious, but not everyone sees them.
Tat's exactly what's she advocating now. "Believe the victims" is what the SJWs bleat every time someone questions the flimsy evidence (or total lack thereof) behind their rape and sexual harassment accusations!

What happened to you, Ophelia?
She got so used to being right and everyone in the sceptic community agreeing with her that she doesn't understand that just because she said something it doesn't mean it's true