Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Bhurzum
Brassy, uncouth, henpecked meathead

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Bhurzum »

Bravo!

Now if only someone would give it the Bjarte treatment...

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

The Bjarte Marathon is by far my favorite Pit thing that's happened since I've been here. I laugh-cried more than once. Too damn funny!

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Service Dog wrote:
Service Dog wrote:I will be attending the opening tonight http://theholenyc.com/2014/08/15/future-feminism-2/
My belated, meandering full report on the FUTURE FEMlNlSM art show is here:

The main thing you need to know is that, apparently, The Future will consist of a featureless white gallery, like the movie THX-1138, adorned only pale, pink granite menstrual-moons-- inscribed with Animal Farm feminist edicts:
"IV. IDENTIFY BIOLOGICAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE SEXES, AND DRAW INDIVIDUALS INTO GREATER ACCOUNTABILITY ON THE BASIS OF THEIR PREDISPOSITIONS"

XI. DECONSTRUCT THE MYTHOLOGY OF MALE SPIRITUAL SUPREMACY

XII. RESTORE THE FEMALE ARCHETYPE AS CENTRAL TO CREATION"
etc. :cdc:
http://theholenyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/d.jpg

Male FUTURE FEMINISTS will be forced to wear white-on-white t-shirts proclaiming them to be FUTURE FEMINISTS. This is what a male Future Feminist looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/hP2hv62.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/wHzjdQl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aXkFWE8.jpg

at least our female FUTURE FEMINIST overlords will look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/dbwb9Nd.jpg
The SJWs are going full on cult honeytrap. :o

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Tribble wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Did you catch the utter disdain that Dennett showed for Harris when the latter rehashed the very old argument against free will? (Not that Dennett's own version is much better, but his calling out of Harris for presenting very old ideas as exciting and new was quite something.)

There probably hasn't been a new argument on either side for 50 years. So I don't know what Dennet was going on about if he did so.

Truth is, nobody can actually know.
Yep, and even if we did, what difference would it make? Free Will arguments might be good sport but that's about it.

I agree with your previous post too. I'm not a fan of Harris really but I think his critics often quote mine him disingenuously.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

James Caruthers wrote:
JacquesCuze wrote:I am probably overwrought, because I find all of this depressing as all hell.

I guess I've said this before, but Myers is about 3 years older than I am, maybe less, and the two of us just drew completely different lessons from the 60s, and 70s.

At the risk of godwinning, or displaying my ignorance, the one upside, is that the past three years of SJW invasion have helped me understand a great deal more about what was occurring in Europe about 80 years ago.

To see how quickly Big A Atheists, Scientists, and Skeptics and their societies fall, haven't seen anything like it since the Mule.
That literary reference deserves a serious brofist, brah.

http://cdn.themetapicture.com/media/fun ... o-fist.gif
Thinking about trends and what not, the current SJW curfuffel we're going through is more than likely only a temporary bump in the road.

It seems endless and demoralizing because we are currently in it. The tide has turned and we are winning.

Our long battle with the forces of intolerance, bigotry and willful ignorance have made us stronger. We are much better prepared to do battle than we were three years ago.

In our willingness to defend our cause we have become much better educated than we might have been if this schism never happened. We are honing our weapons, coming up with better arguments, they keep parroting the same lines again and again. They are not innovating, we are.

We are not alone, SJW's in other areas are also finally getting some push back. The gamer gate folks will also emerge from the fight stronger and better educated. The more folk who care about this stuff and can sniff out and effectively refute bullshit, the better.

I think that the early days of on-line and real world atheism/Skepticism were also an anomaly, a disparate group of folks who had similar interests who seemed to get along well when faced with a common enemy.

That is until we started to get to know one another, once distaste, jealousy, vying for power,influence and money became more important than the cause, the schism was bound to happen. If Elevatorgate and Dear Muslima didn't happen, something else would have set it off sooner than later.

The SjW's will never truly go away, they will recede, re-package their bullshit and try again with a new generation of converts.

And we'll be ready for them.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Can't wait to see if Tracy Clark Florey takes the traditional route of divorce I'm sure she will have no problem using the traditional terms for her "mate" then.

Every generation thinks that they invented this shit.

"Our love is clean and pure! Not stuffy like my parents marriage !"

(((SLAP!!!)))

"SHUT UP! You been dating that chick for six months, when you been banging her for thirty years then come talk to me!"

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

Dunno Spike. I see little difference between SJW and Feminism, and Feminism in the form of the affirmative consent laws, yes means yes, Baby it's cold outside rape culture has been making huge strides.

Title IX
VAWA
1:5
Yes means yes
all that stuff.

I can't be terribly optimistic that the SJL is not getting stronger

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

Spike13 wrote:
Can't wait to see if Tracy Clark Florey takes the traditional route of divorce I'm sure she will have no problem using the traditional terms for her "mate" then.

Every generation thinks that they invented this shit.

"Our love is clean and pure! Not stuffy like my parents marriage !"

(((SLAP!!!)))

"SHUT UP! You been dating that chick for six months, when you been banging her for thirty years then come talk to me!"
The Four Stages of Marriage
Tri Weekly
Try Weekly
Try Weakly
Try Beer.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

You think the SJW's in atheism are temporary? You poor fucking fool. They're in academia. They're the ones determining what is being taught in schools. They are pushing their dogma earlier and earlier. SJW's in atheism are a mere symptom, a small feeler of the cultural marxist cancer. Every single one of them is convinced they are "on the right side of history", that every thought and feel that crosses their minds on the subject of "opression" and "priviledge" is GOLD and on par with the civil rights era struggle, no matter how blatantly ridiculous it is. Objectivity doesn't exist, truth is anecdote and individual perspective.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

JacquesCuze wrote:Dunno Spike. I see little difference between SJW and Feminism, and Feminism in the form of the affirmative consent laws, yes means yes, Baby it's cold outside rape culture has been making huge strides.

Title IX
VAWA
1:5
Yes means yes
all that stuff.

I can't be terribly optimistic that the SJL is not getting stronger
This may be their high water mark, their Gettysburg as it were.

I agree the rad fems may be a different theatre in the same war, but the same rhetorical tools still apply. They are not innovating.

We are seeing a lot of this stuff now, but the ground was laid for much of this a year or so back.(planning production, writing law etc.)

How useless is mutual consent? It's non sense, how do you prove it?

Mainstream people are just starting to get a good dose of this stuff, the larger push back is just around the corner.

One more example, look at gamer gate, their usual tactics aren't working. Cries of misogyny, harassment, and threats were met with a resounding BULLSHIT!

Think about that, almost the entire online gaming press ran with the party line, censored dissent, used every tool in its arsenal... And it is failing.

The gamer press is like the French royalty during the revolution it has no idea what to do, so it doubles down on stupid.

Things will get better. It's just a matter of time now.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

I mean, how fucking sad is it that video games of all areas is where there is even a modicum of pushback? Not education, not politics. At least the ideological war there is ongoing, no utter submission and capitulation at the first accusation of thoughtcrime. The gamergate = white racist right-wingers narrative is being pushed hard. The same gamers that only a decade ago were violent, godless anarchist left-wingers with no morals.

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Good refutation of CJ Werleman's raving bullshit

http://www.gspellchecker.com/2014/10/cj ... l-hackery/
Attachments
image.jpg
(136.76 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

LurkerPerson wrote:You think the SJW's in atheism are temporary? You poor fucking fool. They're in academia. They're the ones determining what is being taught in schools. They are pushing their dogma earlier and earlier. SJW's in atheism are a mere symptom, a small feeler of the cultural marxist cancer. Every single one of them is convinced they are "on the right side of history", that every thought and feel that crosses their minds on the subject of "opression" and "priviledge" is GOLD and on par with the civil rights era struggle, no matter how blatantly ridiculous it is. Objectivity doesn't exist, truth is anecdote and individual perspective.
They've been in academia since at least the seventies(if not before ) as I said, the bull shit rises, recedes, gets re packaged and rises again.

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Found the second article surfing CNN to kill time.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/14/opinion/m ... ?hpt=hp_t3

[img]http://i.imgur.com/7n1fDkE.jpg[/img]

[quote]...

The scarf
These days, I am a proud wearer of hijab. You can call it a scarf. My scarf does not tie my hands behind my back, and it is not a tool of oppression. It doesn't prevent thoughts from entering my head and leaving my mouth. But I didn't always know this.
Studying Islam didn't immediately dispel all my cultural misconceptions. I had been raised on imagery of women in the East being treated like chattel by men who forced them to cover their bodies out of shame or a sense of ownership.
But when I asked a Muslim woman "Why do you wear that?", her answer was obvious and appealing: "To please God. To be recognized as a woman who is to be respected and not harassed. [b]So that I can protect myself from the male gaze[/b]."

She explained how dressing modestly is a symbol to the world that a woman's body is not meant for mass consumption or critique.
I still wasn't convinced and replied, "Yeah, but women are like second class citizens in your faith?"
The very patient Muslim lady explained that, during a time when the Western world treated women like property, Islam taught that men and women were equal in the eyes of God. Islam made the woman's consent to marriage mandatory and gave women the opportunity to inherit, own property, run businesses and participate in government.
She listed right after right that women in Islam held nearly 1,250 years before women's lib was ever thought of in the West. Surprisingly, Islam turned out to be the religion that appealed to my feminist ideals[/quote].

So Modern Feminism and Islam, a match made in heaven.[/quote]

Dave Sim, misogynist prophet
Attachments
image.jpg
(94.1 KiB) Downloaded 310 times

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Sorry Jacque, screwed up quoting your post

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

LurkerPerson wrote:You think the SJW's in atheism are temporary? You poor fucking fool. They're in academia. They're the ones determining what is being taught in schools. They are pushing their dogma earlier and earlier. SJW's in atheism are a mere symptom, a small feeler of the cultural marxist cancer. Every single one of them is convinced they are "on the right side of history", that every thought and feel that crosses their minds on the subject of "opression" and "priviledge" is GOLD and on par with the civil rights era struggle, no matter how blatantly ridiculous it is. Objectivity doesn't exist, truth is anecdote and individual perspective.
My journey has taken me from laughing at the weirdos who saw communists and nazis around every corner to seeing communists in academia, journalism and politics and seeing attacks on speech and behavior that reminds me of nazism.

Odd world.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

Spike13 wrote:
They've been in academia since at least the seventies(if not before ) as I said, the bull shit rises, recedes, gets re packaged and rises again.
And every time the shoreline vanishes a little bit more under those waves of shit. They're deeply entrenched and will not be dislodged. Their influence wanes and waxes, but remains. They know very well, like every cult and religion, that you have to get them early. Education is their bastion. Like you say, they've been there since the seventies, and they've ALWAYS been this crazy. If anything the crazy has become more acceptable, not less. I thought the rise of the internet would hobble them, but it's only empowered them to spread their cult. I don't share your optimism. Enlightenment ideals are losing. The woo is wining.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Jacquescuze,

I can definitely sympathize, just this morning I was going through some heavy discouragement.

I was down, felt like things were coming apart, then I got inspiration from a couple of unexpected sources.

I'm back to being energized and raring to go.

I think we can be susceptible to despair because we are so involved in this stuff, it can seem like we're fighting some creature with a hundred heads.

But we're slowly gaining ground.

LurkerPerson

Post by LurkerPerson »

JacquesCuze wrote:
My journey has taken me from laughing at the weirdos who saw communists and nazis around every corner to seeing communists in academia, journalism and politics and seeing attacks on speech and behavior that reminds me of nazism.

Odd world.
I was a communist until about the age I reached college. Being confronted with the worst excesses of cryptomarxist bullshit, the sick repackaging of class warfare into sex, race, "intersectionality", completely missing the point of the real reasons for inequality in society in favour of emotional blankets for narcissists opened my eyes a bit.

It's like...I'd always seen these white supremacist retards on the internet, posting their usual catchphrase all over youtube videos and the like. "Anti-racism=anti-white"? AHAH, bunch of fucking idiots. Obviously racism just means hatred of an individual or group because of their "race", how can it be about hating one specific race? It makes no sense, that's practically orwellian. But wait. You can't be racist against whites. The only racism that matters is institutional racism, and the only institutions that matter are the ones in majority "white" countries. So, according to critical race theory, the white-supremacists are absolutely right. The first time I realized academia had, through it's esoteric dogma, actually managed to make internet neo-nazis make a valid point, it made me sick. Not enough to make me seesaw into their side. But along with many other examples of blatant irrationality, I no longer believed "social justice" as interpreted by ivory tower academics and their middle/upper class devotees was infallible goodness and love.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

LurkerPerson wrote: ...The first time I realized academia had, through it's esoteric dogma, actually managed to make internet neo-nazis make a valid point, it made me sick.
I've run into that sort of sickness alot. Finding I agree about something (usually innocuous but STILL) with some horrible people.
There's no ideology that's a perfect reflection of reality; there just isn't.
Hell, even the feminists and SJW's are occasionally (VERY occasionally) right about something.
That doesn't mean we should go easy on them.
It does mean we can at least be sure we are really being good skeptics and subjecting our own beliefs to scrutiny.

I think thats something to be proud of, because it seems too few ever really make a habit of it.
It's something that separates us from most ideologues: they can never ever ever admit their opposition is right about anything.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

fuzzy wrote:

A picture paints a thousand words.

The best description of PZ tentacle rape fan Myres and what has happened at FFTB.

Satan

Post by Satan »

Clarence wrote:The US - by far the most "Christianized" country extant in the world - has very little Christian committed violence.
Leaving aside the wave of right-wing militia violence in the 1990s (culminating with the Oklahoma bombing), there's a very good argument that the invasion of Iraq was a Christian crusade in all but name.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the prime contributors to the invasion (US, UK, Spain, Poland) were governed by heavily Christian leaders while the nominal-US allies which abstained (Turkey, Germany, France, Canada) were governed by people with much weaker links to Christianity.

Not to mention people like William Boykin.

The only major difference between major acts of Christian and Islamic violence is that the former tends to be waged by state actors (and is, therefore, seen as legitimate) while the latter is typically non-state and explicitly targeted at civilians (and is, therefore, seen as illegitimate terrorism).

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Leaving aside the wave of right-wing militia violence in the 1990s (culminating with the Oklahoma bombing), there's a very good argument that the invasion of Iraq was a Christian crusade in all but name.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the prime contributors to the invasion (US, UK, Spain, Poland) were governed by heavily Christian leaders while the nominal-US allies which abstained (Turkey, Germany, France, Canada) were governed by people with much weaker links to Christianity.

Not to mention people like William Boykin.
This is a very weak argument. Muslim terrorists are explicitly advocating a Muslim reformation of democratic, secularized societies. They're arguing for Islamic laws, death penalty for apostasies and the end of freedom of speech and thought.

The attack on Iraq, while illegitimate from a legal point of view and motivated by a series of geopolitical interests, never had the objective of converting the Muslim population of Iraq to Christianity, or to reform Muslim society according to Christian theocracy laws, or to execute converts to Islam. And while freedom of information has been curtailed in the US, it's been done to protect shady background deals and increase the power of central governments and its cronies, not to establish a Christian theocracy.

You can probably argue that the invasion of Iraq was a consequence of American hegemonic policies, and that the states that supported it were the one who were more US friendly (France and Germany criticized the US before and after the invasion of Iraq). By the way, Turkey (a state with a mostly Muslim population) supported the invasion, if not fully, much more than France (a state in which the majority of population is at least nominally Christian). Saudi Arabia and Kuwait (both state with a heavy Muslim majority) approved of the invasion and provided support to the American troops.

Only a very slim minority of raving fundamentalists Christian may have seen it as a Christian crusade, while there is a very vocal and not negligible minority of Muslims who are advocating a Holy War against the West.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Aneris wrote:Here is a freezepage of the Sarkeesian bomb threat blog post, where again, people draw connections to the Slymepit, for good measure: http://www.freezepage.com/1413342925PFFFDHAKPA
Am I the only Scot here who saw the word Taggart and thought "There's been a muder"

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

LurkerPerson wrote:So, according to critical race theory, the white-supremacists are absolutely right. The first time I realized academia had, through it's esoteric dogma, actually managed to make internet neo-nazis make a valid point, it made me sick. Not enough to make me seesaw into their side. But along with many other examples of blatant irrationality, I no longer believed "social justice" as interpreted by ivory tower academics and their middle/upper class devotees was infallible goodness and love.
I had a minor argument with a lefty friend on Facebook the other day. He was complaining that the media gave UKIP too much attention. I said I have a number of hardcore lefties on on my friends list and UKIP is all they talk about. They fret so much about the far right they inadvertently give the far right more legitimacy and prominence than they deserve. I didn't think of it at the time, but have since concluded that the rise of the likes of UKIP is not just a consequence of identity politics, it is identity politics. It's the right playing the left by the left's rules. You set yourself up as an identity pressure group and compete with the other identity pressure groups for patronage from the elite in government and the media, by insisting your competitors are a bunch of privileged bastards who are unfairly keeping you down, so you deserve the patronage more than they do.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

There's always the temptation for groups to use threats like the Sarkeesian death/massacre threat as Reichstag-type events, to gain power and influence.

These are the comments at Pharyngula that really had me kind of amused.
Ichthyic
14 October 2014 at 9:51 pm
Free speech has now been held hostage to “gun rights”.
Thanks Obama!
er,
Thanks Utah!

Jafafa Hots
15 October 2014 at 2:32 am
Ok, pardon me, I just stated the obvious.
I hadn’t read the threat… I didn’t have the stomach for it, so I assumed it only named her as the target. I just read it and of course it directly threatens all attendees, etc., which makes my preceding comment pointlessly obvious.
I cannot possibly disagree more strongly with those who are assuming the authorities are investigating, however.
They specifically stated that they are not providing security because she is routinely threatened to this degree (as if that’s not horrifying enough), and in doing so they completely and I assume deliberately ignore the overt threats to everyone else who is present.
The message is clear – they do not give a flying fuck if feminists or anyone who associates with or is interested in listening to them are threatened with death. Terrorist threats against feminists and their audiences are not worth responding to, not worth the time for a couple of guards at the door, not worth the protection of free speech (as others have stated).
As if it weren’t clear enough beforehand… the government has chosen a side. The wrong one.
So now the Pharyngula radfems are seeking to take up the anti-2nd Amendment cause since the gubmint refuses to disarm the audience so that President Sarkeesian can give a talk in safety. Don't get me wrong, as a card carrying commie librul, I think this is a great idea. In fact, the idea of pitting feminists against gun nuts is one of the few things that's almost guaranteed to bring me to instant sexual gratification. I just wish them luck, since the entire weight of the progressive liberal machine has failed to put much of a dent in American gun obsession.

Michael J

Post by Michael J »

PZ getting all friendly with Nye reminds me of how he got all friendly to Dawkins before the Humanist conference. You can't tell me PZ isn't desperate for a VIP to like him. Just think - It's being held as his own university and he wasn't asked to be involved at all. That must burn.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Michael J wrote:PZ getting all friendly with Nye reminds me of how he got all friendly to Dawkins before the Humanist conference. You can't tell me PZ isn't desperate for a VIP to like him. Just think - It's being held as his own university and he wasn't asked to be involved at all. That must burn.
He has run out of big names to make him look credible. He now has to go after people like Nye who (as far as I can tell) have no involvement in atheism but only in the promotion of science. He needs something to give him the credibility that he has lost after burning all his bridges.

The big names aren't perfect. Dawkins for example has made a few comments on twitter which resulted in my head hitting the desk. What I liked about the community and still like here is the discussion. No censoring and no grudge holding (unless you are a complete moron). PZ has tried desperately to shut this down and force his agenda. It takes time for people to come round and the big names have done this. PZ "I love tentacles" Myers has never persuaded anyone to come out as atheist. Dawkins, Harris, Hitches, Nugent, Silverman these are the people who bring new people into the community. I know it, you know it and Myers knows its. The future of atheism has abandoned FTB. FTB will dwindle and die. My concern is, what will happen to the pit once FTB has been destroyed.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:FTB will dwindle and die. My concern is, what will happen to the pit once FTB has been destroyed.
The pit as entity may die but the ethos will remain. I've been thinking about this a bit lately. This may sound like bogus theorizing, but... Nobody makes a profit here. There are no "real" moderators or moderation. It is a free forum, and you're welcome to make intelligent conversation or be a fool. It occurs to me that FtB and all "for profit" blogs are really kind of a scam, since they're really just short posts, yet the actual content consists of what those involved make of it. In other words, profit blogs have found a way to convince people to provide free content, and in return, the providers are entirely powerless over how the blog itself is run. It's a little like the scam run by early capitalists, who convinced workers that if they agreed to provide labor, they were beholden to Capital, no matter how badly they were treated. No doubt the justification for this will be that "you are free to go where you please." But note that this line of reasoning never held up to scrutiny IRL. Essentially, when a person contributes to a whole, they should have a say in how things are run, and perhaps even a share of the profit, if there is one.

Measly Twerp

Post by Measly Twerp »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
Aneris wrote:Here is a freezepage of the Sarkeesian bomb threat blog post, where again, people draw connections to the Slymepit, for good measure: http://www.freezepage.com/1413342925PFFFDHAKPA
Am I the only Scot here who saw the word Taggart and thought "There's been a muder"
You're not the only one in the commonwealth no. I just learned now that Taggart was a character that I never saw because the actor died when I was 8 years old. Which may be why I prefer Rebus.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

paddybrown wrote:
LurkerPerson wrote:So, according to critical race theory, the white-supremacists are absolutely right. The first time I realized academia had, through it's esoteric dogma, actually managed to make internet neo-nazis make a valid point, it made me sick. Not enough to make me seesaw into their side. But along with many other examples of blatant irrationality, I no longer believed "social justice" as interpreted by ivory tower academics and their middle/upper class devotees was infallible goodness and love.
I had a minor argument with a lefty friend on Facebook the other day. He was complaining that the media gave UKIP too much attention. I said I have a number of hardcore lefties on on my friends list and UKIP is all they talk about. They fret so much about the far right they inadvertently give the far right more legitimacy and prominence than they deserve. I didn't think of it at the time, but have since concluded that the rise of the likes of UKIP is not just a consequence of identity politics, it is identity politics. It's the right playing the left by the left's rules. You set yourself up as an identity pressure group and compete with the other identity pressure groups for patronage from the elite in government and the media, by insisting your competitors are a bunch of privileged bastards who are unfairly keeping you down, so you deserve the patronage more than they do.
I may or may not have mentioned it before but once, during the nineties, some well meaning soul signed me up for a years subscription of "The New Statesman". Aside from the full on self-congratulatory smugness of most of the middle class, oxbridge educated dilettantes that would plague it's pages with personal anecdotes that exemplified whatever bee they had in their collective bonnets that week, the thing I noticed is they would "guest" articles every week (or fortnight or whatever) from people who had a more right wing point of view.

This seemed to have only one effect, to get their readership hot under the collar and type furious responses refuting each of those articles with a whole slew of "look what books I read!" quotations. This happened without fail in every issue I read at which point it dawned on me that there are real activists but predominantly those who claim they are politically engaged are just poseurs, lapping up whatever text they agree with in order to have a set of pre-made responses for those who might disagree.

I came to the conclusion, in the end, that politics is, for most, just another system of faith but that conclusion had been stewing for years. In my youth I canvassed for a political party in the U.K. and my experiences were that most people did not think about who they were voting for, they voted the way their partners did or their families did. I don't know how many times I heard versions of "I'm a labour supporter like my father and his father". They could have put a plague rat up as a candidate and people would still vote for it, based on their ideology.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Clarence wrote:
ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:
Clarence wrote:
Ok. I laughed.

Clearly I support Cereal Rape.

Clarence is back! Hello Clarence!

Here's something just for you:

[img.]http://i.imgur.com/22S1Sfq.jpg[/img]
9.5 OUT OF TEN.
I don't know anyone who doesn't like Japanese school girls.
Little ones are good for patting on the head.
Older ones (16 plus) good for patting other places. :whistle:
*shudders*

windy

Post by windy »

paddybrown wrote:
This article on "why women leave tech" reminded me of that:

http://fortune.com/2014/10/02/women-leave-tech-culture/
Almost everyone I spoke with said that they had enjoyed the work itself. Most mothers added that they would have happily returned to their jobs a few months after giving birth, but their companies didn’t offer maternity leave and they needed to quit in order to have their kids. Some women felt that their work environments were discriminatory, but most reported something milder: the simple discomfort of not fitting in in an otherwise homogenous setting. It may not sound like a big deal if you’re used to being in the majority, but it was enough to drive many qualified engineers to quit.
If it's completely valid to quit your job over a vague "discomfort" because the other people there aren't "like you", I guess that should put phenomena like white flight into perspective? :?

On the subject itself, the writer doesn't seem to understand the idea of the "pipeline problem": women not returning to tech after having children IS a major part of the leaky pipeline, not just "not enough girls studying math and science."

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

I love Myers' new "You Get Email" post. Since the woman in question tickles his balls a bit, he doesn't rip her a new one but wisely punts it to the Horde, since she's an Agnostic Pagan Pantheist. Any way things turn out, this thread almost guarantees to be projectile vomit inducing, even though there are no comments yet.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Clarence wrote:
Yeah, people have to stick their head pretty far up their anus to compare the violence of modern Christianity with that of a significant minority of modern Islam.
Islamic radicals and their versions of Sharia law run whole nation-states that collectively comprise hundreds of millions of people. There are several extant Islamic terrorist groups that have vowed to or actually committed violence on western people and/or western sympathizers. Minority religions in places like Egypt are barely tolerated, in some Islamic countries there has been downright oppression heading towards segregation or even extermination. Let's not forget Western Intellectuals who have been targeted for assassination - and in some cases actually killed - all for criticizing the actions or theology of Islam.

The US - by far the most "Christianized" country extant in the world - has very little Christian committed violence. Basically, once every five or so years an abortion Doctor is killed usually via a lone nut. We do have a still considerable 'christian' (because half of it is lip service depending on state and politician) presence in our politics, however we also have a considerable radical or third wave feminist presence in our politics as well so what does that tell you?

Sorry, but there is basically only one religion ruling via blood and fear in the world today and that religion is Islam.
I practically blow a blood vessel everytime ISIS commits an atrocity, because on the gay blogs commenters will be lined up to say, "but our Christian fundamentalists are just as bad." Then I get accused of being a right-wing fundie when I point out that our fundies are clearly not as bad.

John D

Post by John D »

Skep tickle wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:This is interesting (and could even be taken as evidence that Mykeru and those of us who wrote and/or tweeted to Nye had an effect).

PZ has not claimed to have anything to do with Nye's visit. He has mentioned it and also said, in the same post, that he'll be "socializing" tonight, but he has not claimed to be spending any time or doing any socializing with Nye, in particular.
I don't think it will come as a surprise to many pitters (given my borderline treasonous actions last week) but I'm one of the people who wrote to Nye. I do hope my actions affected his behavior. The pessimist in me says I'm delusional, but the realist says there's a plausible chance our actions helped.
Good for you, I say, even if it turns out that wasn't the letter that broke the camel's back.

It's amazing to consider: Bill Nye has gone to Morris MN to give a talk, and PZ Myers was apparently not part of the event. Wow.

I don't see anything to suggest that PZ's level of involvement changed recently - the talk appears to have been under the purview of the "Office of Student Activities, Conferences and Special Events" at UMM (rather than some local group) & the blurb on the ticket ordering page doesn't say anything about PZ.

I must admit some concern - where does this current trajectory end up leaving PZ?
Indeed! Remember that the American Humanist Association awarded PZ "Humanist of the Year" just a few years ago. PZ has squandered his opportunity to do something of value. What a waste. What a loser.

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Second Dallas health care worker contracts Ebola. That's it, I'm now officially freaked out.

windy

Post by windy »

From the comments of that Fortune article:

http://fyre.it/ocTgYQ.4
Seth Jaspan 11 days ago

I understand the point that the author is trying to make but I'm sorry to say she fails pretty badly to back up. When she says that its the culture that drives woman away the only thing she points to for culture is hard work and long hours, this really is just a small sliver of the culture of any field or job. The fact is that no matter what field you look at that comes with long hours the attrition rate is going to be high. By only interviewing woman who left tech she totally fails to show that the attrition rate is higher for woman in tech than it is in other high demand jobs or even that the attrition rate is higher than it is for men. Right or wrong it is pretty common for woman who have high stress long hours jobs to give them up when they have families. I would like to know what the attrition rates are for woman in other fields and how they compare to tech. Is it really the culture of tech that keeps these woman from going back to work or is it a choice not to go back to any high demand long hour job. For example my wife works in biotech, when she went on maternity leave for the birth of our first child in Dec 2012 she did so at the same time as 7 other woman, she is back at work part time but of the other 7 woman who went on leave only 1 of them successfully returned to work full time. I'm actually not sure that what the author says is incorrect, I just think she did a really poor job of proving any of it.

Kartos 11 days ago

@Seth Jaspan : I'm amazed it took 2 whole comments for the misogyny to start rolling in.
:bjarte:

(Judging by s/h/its other comments it doesn't look like Kartos was joking)

Tigzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Tigzy »

Anyone seen Peez's latest post yet? The one about Bill Nye gving a talk in PZ's own backyard?

Jebus, the grapes are so sour you could get them straight to vinegar without the wine bit in between:
#BillNyeInMorris

Little ol’ Morris got that hashtag trending last night — I guess when essentially everyone in a small town suddenly starts tweeting exactly the same thing, it shows up as a bright blip in the data. It was an impressive reaction by the audience, too. These were college students who grew up with Bill Nye, and apparently even the ones who were too young to have watched his show when it was on the air got regularly exposed to episodes that were shown in the public schools. So he was welcomed like a rock star.

His talk was rather long and rambly…he talked about everything. His family history, sundials, what kind of car he drove, the debate with Ken Ham, climate change, science education, the importance of the humanities, etc. He said all the right things, and had the audience cheering for the whole two hours. Well over half the student body were there — about 1100 student tickets were sold –and I have no idea how many townsfolk were there, but I did see a lot of middle-aged and young adults with troops of kids. He didn’t pander to them, either: there were some sharp remarks pointed at religious conservatism, the absurdity of believing the earth is 6000 years old, and the folly of ignoring environmental problems because your bible says there is no problem.

I will be checking the local paper to see if there are any negative reactions. There was also someone there taping the whole event — if that’s made public, I’ll let you know.
'I'll be checking the paper to see if there are any negative reactions' :lol: Give Peez a decade, and he'll be checking the obits for the guy.

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

Spike13 wrote:
The gamer press is like the French royalty during the revolution it has no idea what to do, so it doubles down on stupid.

Things will get better. It's just a matter of time now.
The problem is not just the gamer press. Mainstream (God I hate the connotations of this phrase) media has very much taken the SJ angle in any coverage of Gamergate: That it is predicated on misogyny, the target of which is Zoe Quinn and Anita Sarkeesian.

Until journalists start demonstrating a little bit of old school leg work, the message will go unchanged.

I really think part of the problem is this army of maladjusted and poorly socialised men, who have come up through an arts education indoctrinated in the 3rd wave feminist school of thought. I've got some good friends like this, and I don't understand them at all.

Not for nothing are the biggest dickheads men; PZ, Ben Kuchera, Anita's puppetmaster, JohnTheSecular (LOL); the list is long and distinguished, not unlike Slider's johnson.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Hunt wrote:Second Dallas health care worker contracts Ebola. That's it, I'm now officially freaked out.
images.jpg
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 243 times

John D

Post by John D »

Hunt wrote:Second Dallas health care worker contracts Ebola. That's it, I'm now officially freaked out.
If you really want to catch a deadly disease go to the hospital.

screwtape

Post by screwtape »

Hunt wrote:I love Myers' new "You Get Email" post. Since the woman in question tickles his balls a bit, he doesn't rip her a new one but wisely punts it to the Horde, since she's an Agnostic Pagan Pantheist. Any way things turn out, this thread almost guarantees to be projectile vomit inducing, even though there are no comments yet.
Article, and first few comments: http://www.freezepage.com/1413381414YFKOKRBXCG

Pizzle's correspondent writes:
There was a poster using the name ‘laziness evolved’ who seems to exemplify what I consider the most insidious and damaging form of sexism- the people who really claim to be doing things in real life to end it, while holding the most demeaning and dismissing views of those they are purporting to help.
and
The ability of your ‘horde’ to recognize and stamp out oppressive language every time it rears it’s ugly head and *keep doing it* in the face of such willful damaging statements brings me to tears, every time. I was exhausted just reading some of the threads. Your blog might be one of the very few safe spaces for women on the net. I wish there was more, but just say I won’t hold my breath.

I cannot be a part of the atheist movement because it does not want people like me. Plus, as an agnostic Pagan pantheist, I’m not sure I’d even qualify.
I think it's a rather beautiful poe, and probably written by lazinessevolved.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

John D wrote:
Or (particularly in the case of Ebola), work in one.

Significant % of Ebola cases (& deaths) have been health care workers providing direct care in medical facilities to patients with Ebola.

(Of course, providing help to sick family members, friends, & neighbors, has been the situation in which many people who weren't "even" health care workers became exposed & infected.)

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tigzy wrote:Anyone seen Peez's latest post yet? The one about Bill Nye gving a talk in PZ's own backyard?

Jebus, the grapes are so sour you could get them straight to vinegar without the wine bit in between:
LOL that answers my question from last night. Sounds like Nye didn't want to get any Peezus stank on him.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Hunt wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:FTB will dwindle and die. My concern is, what will happen to the pit once FTB has been destroyed.
The pit as entity may die but the ethos will remain. I've been thinking about this a bit lately. This may sound like bogus theorizing, but... Nobody makes a profit here. There are no "real" moderators or moderation. It is a free forum, and you're welcome to make intelligent conversation or be a fool. It occurs to me that FtB and all "for profit" blogs are really kind of a scam, since they're really just short posts, yet the actual content consists of what those involved make of it. In other words, profit blogs have found a way to convince people to provide free content, and in return, the providers are entirely powerless over how the blog itself is run. It's a little like the scam run by early capitalists, who convinced workers that if they agreed to provide labor, they were beholden to Capital, no matter how badly they were treated. No doubt the justification for this will be that "you are free to go where you please." But note that this line of reasoning never held up to scrutiny IRL. Essentially, when a person contributes to a whole, they should have a say in how things are run, and perhaps even a share of the profit, if there is one.
See bolded line - same for the rest of social media, right? Twitter, Facebook..

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

screwtape wrote:
Hunt wrote:I love Myers' new "You Get Email" post. Since the woman in question tickles his balls a bit, he doesn't rip her a new one but wisely punts it to the Horde, since she's an Agnostic Pagan Pantheist. Any way things turn out, this thread almost guarantees to be projectile vomit inducing, even though there are no comments yet.
Article, and first few comments: http://www.freezepage.com/1413381414YFKOKRBXCG

Pizzle's correspondent writes:
There was a poster using the name ‘laziness evolved’ who seems to exemplify what I consider the most insidious and damaging form of sexism- the people who really claim to be doing things in real life to end it, while holding the most demeaning and dismissing views of those they are purporting to help.
and
The ability of your ‘horde’ to recognize and stamp out oppressive language every time it rears it’s ugly head and *keep doing it* in the face of such willful damaging statements brings me to tears, every time. I was exhausted just reading some of the threads. Your blog might be one of the very few safe spaces for women on the net. I wish there was more, but just say I won’t hold my breath.

I cannot be a part of the atheist movement because it does not want people like me. Plus, as an agnostic Pagan pantheist, I’m not sure I’d even qualify.
I think it's a rather beautiful poe, and probably written by lazinessevolved.
Signed PZ My........The Tentacle Rapist

TheMudbrooker

Post by TheMudbrooker »

Skep tickle wrote:
John D wrote:

Significant % of Ebola cases (& deaths) have been health care workers providing direct care in medical facilities to patients with Ebola.

(Of course, providing help to sick family members, friends, & neighbors, has been the situation in which many people who weren't "even" health care workers became exposed & infected.)
Over the years I've done a fair bit of demolition/remodeling work in area hospitals and if you want to see something truly disturbing, have a look inside the ductwork. With all the layers of accumulated filth it's amazing that anyone can spend five minutes in those rooms without contracting some dread disease.

DW Adams

Post by DW Adams »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
While I'm Scot, a couple of generations removed, I tried watching Taggart on Netflix. I've never seen a show so poorly acted that had that many episodes.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Skep tickle wrote:
John D wrote:

I was reading that Ebola is particularly communicable because it is all over the victims waste, and skin surfaces in much higher abundance than other virus' typically.

This also accounts for it's lethality, as the much higher count of virus attacks the organs at once.

I guess it was a wonderful idea to cut funding to the CDC because they upset the NRA dependent pols.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

DW Adams wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:
While I'm Scot, a couple of generations removed, I tried watching Taggart on Netflix. I've never seen a show so poorly acted that had that many episodes.
Its fucking awful I know, how the hell it lasted so long I have no idea. Still it is probably one of Scotland's most famous phrases

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Attachments
image.jpg
(168.35 KiB) Downloaded 196 times

John D

Post by John D »

Spike13 wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:
John D wrote: If you really want to catch a deadly disease go to the hospital.

I was reading that Ebola is particularly communicable because it is all over the victims waste, and skin surfaces in much higher abundance than other virus' typically.

This also accounts for it's lethality, as the much higher count of virus attacks the organs at once.

I guess it was a wonderful idea to cut funding to the CDC because they upset the NRA dependent pols.
It is not clear to me that the CDC would have spent any money on ebola or on better protective gear even if they had more funding. They have maintained from the start that they were very well prepared for ebola. They would have probably spent the money on some other pet project and they still would be bitching about funding. I do not necessarily blame the CDC, but I did have to chuckle at the head of CDC finally saying that we are not in such perfect shape after all.

Also, to some extent, the CDC could have thrown a ton of cash at ebola training and gear, but most hospital workers would have dismissed it. Now that we have had a real scare the hospital workers are gonna start getting serious.

Random Lurker

Post by Random Lurker »

Since we need more women in tech, and women being forced to choose between having children and advancing their careers is a Bad Thing, tech companies offering to pay to help women delay having kids until they want them is a Good Thing. Right?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens ... -kind.html
Silicon Valley just got darker: freezing female employees' eggs is anything but kind
From partway in :
And that’s just the point. There’s already enough pressure from every angle to conceive – without it coming indirectly from your boss. The decision should be right when it’s right for the individual.
<...>
Can you imagine having that chat with your line manager? It doesn’t bear thinking about. I would far rather it was easier to talk about pregnancy and planning maternity leave with bosses before this open deep freeze movement took hold.
Women and men must take the decision about when to have a child based on when it’s right for them – not when it suits the company they work for.
Believe me, we professional women have already got enough on our plate without our ‘benevolent bosses’ suddenly playing God.
This is actually one of the few online articles I've read where the comments section is sensible.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Note to self. How to completely dismantle SJW bullshit

Odintsova

Post by Odintsova »

Wow, there's even some good news today

[url]http://www.redding.com/news/local-news/ ... -violation[/url]
Attachments
image.jpg
(131.15 KiB) Downloaded 189 times

JacquesCuze

Post by JacquesCuze »

In the midst of the doctors here, I am loathe to speculate re Ebola but I am disappointed that my very important tweets to Governor Jan Brewer and Phoenix Mayor Stanton about who in AZ and Phx were responsible for policies, stocking supplies, and making beds available during any pandemic went unanswered, along with questions of how citizens could inspect and ask questions of those policies.

I did find the CDC then Hospital claims re: the first nurse ludicrous and almost FAA like.

Why did Nina Pham contract ebola?

CDC: There was a breach in protocol.

What was the breach in protocol?

CDC: We don't know, but if she contracted ebola, there was a breach in protocol.

That is "The front fell off" levels of insanity.

Then later it's revealed by nurses, there was no protocol or training.

Also, medical message and "responsible adult press" coverage re: ebola seems two faced:

1) It's not very contagious
2) Lethality is almost 50%.

With a lethality rate that great (with two Dallas health care workers now contracting it), calming messages of "we got this" and "trust" and "go about your business citizen" seem out of place and more like beginning of huge mistake.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

JacquesCuze wrote:In the midst of the doctors here, I am loathe to speculate re Ebola but I am disappointed that my very important tweets to Governor Jan Brewer and Phoenix Mayor Stanton about who in AZ and Phx were responsible for policies, stocking supplies, and making beds available during any pandemic went unanswered, along with questions of how citizens could inspect and ask questions of those policies.

I did find the CDC then Hospital claims re: the first nurse ludicrous and almost FAA like.

Why did Nina Pham contract ebola?

CDC: There was a breach in protocol.

What was the breach in protocol?

CDC: We don't know, but if she contracted ebola, there was a breach in protocol.

That is "The front fell off" levels of insanity.

Then later it's revealed by nurses, there was no protocol or training.

Also, medical message and "responsible adult press" coverage re: ebola seems two faced:

1) It's not very contagious
2) Lethality is almost 50%.

With a lethality rate that great (with two Dallas health care workers now contracting it), calming messages of "we got this" and "trust" and "go about your business citizen" seem out of place and more like beginning of huge mistake.
download (1).jpg
(8.06 KiB) Downloaded 183 times