Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Dornier Pfeil

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Dornier Pfeil »

screwtape wrote:
Semi wrote:Actually both the Hellcat and the Corsair were not particularly maneuvarable compared to the Zero variants. Both American planes were designed to be rugged and survivable, and were quite heavy compared to the much lighter Zero. This meant they had much higher wing loading than the Zero, and thus could not stay with a Zero in a turn.

The recommended techniques for both aircraft used to engage the Zero strongly discouraged engaging in a turn fight with a Zero, but instead use the American planes' superior speed and firepower to engage at will, make a firing pass, and then quickly outrun the opponent. Repeat until the enemy was destroyed (the boom & zoom strategy). Unlike the American planes, the vast majority of Zeroes had no armor plating protection for the pilot and no self-sealing fuel tanks, so it didn't take many hits fatally damage one.

It is interesting to note that the Hellcat was specifically designed as a Zero-killer, and was designed and put into production after a damaged Zero was discovered in the Aleutians and subsequently repaired and test flown by the US military.

The Hellcat was the great Zero-killer of the war, racking up a formidable kill ratio over its Japanese opponents.

But most importantly, the Hellcat was much easier to fly and land than the Corsair, and thus was better suited for most pilots with average flying skills, although there were plenty standout pilots for both planes.
True enough, the Zero was deliberately built to be light and manɶuvrable, not only lacking armour for the pilot and self-sealing tanks, but not even a radio. Saburo Sakai has written a wonderful autobiography of his time flying them, from the initial period of superiority to their eventual status as dangerously outmoded.
The curious part of the Corsair's story was that the Double Wasp radial was so powerful that a huge 13 foot propellor was needed. That necessitated raising the nose of the aircraft when on its undercarriage, but how to accommodate such long undercarriage legs? Carrier landings are hard and they had to be strong, so short and thick was desirable. Hence the cranked wing. In turn this led to the very long nose completely obscuring the pilot's view of the carrier deck and the USN felt the plane to be useless as a carrier-based fighter. The British were desperate for carrier fighters and took on the Corsair, developing the curved landing approach to let the pilot look over the left side of the nose to see the deck. Once this had been shown to work the USN adopted them for carrier operations with great success. One of my very favourite aircraft in X-Plane, there is a very good version available here.
If I can vote for a favourite too, I'm going for the Mosquito, followed by the Mk.Ia Spit. Following the sad demise of G-ASKH in 2006 (here, for the ghoulish), I'm glad to say there is a restored Mosquito flying in New Zealand:

[youtube]M-I4hZah_Pc[/youtube]
Ninja'ed by screwtape. :oops:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
You can't trust those damn Frenchies.
Hey now, you fucking cu...

No, wait, you're right.
You're a Wop aren't you?
Wop: Warrior Of Power? So, at last, you embrace my LARPing skills!

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Tribble wrote
I also sucked at carrier landings (Aces of the Pacific). That shit is HARD. Fortunately, (if I remember the game right) it had an 'auto-land-for-losers option' which I shameless took with regularity
I had forgotten about that. Yeah, I couldn't land for shit, either. A-10 tank killer was another one of my favourite games. Love that plane. :cdc:

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
Hey now, you fucking cu...

No, wait, you're right.
You're a Wop aren't you?
Wop: Warrior Of Power? So, at last, you embrace my LARPing skills!
Absolutely, you possess all the skills needed to dress as an elf and fight with toy swords.

Dornier Pfeil

Post by Dornier Pfeil »

Sulman wrote:Sarkeesian's twitter timeline is like a machine at the moment. She just spouts non-stop rhetoric and people lap it up. Amazing.

Her death threat was an absolute gift. Literally couldn't have been better if she had done it herself.
Sarkeesian is now a 'pioneer'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=anita%20sarkeesan

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Pitchguest wrote:
Sulman wrote:http://i.imgur.com/LCMYPhI.png

It's never enough.
Arab top left corner, Mexican below him, African to his left, Asian to the far right, another Asian to the right of him [below], another Asian to HER right [or could be African or South American], and another Asian to HER right [or South American] So that's seven I can see that are explicitly, to use a term, "non-white", and women and men represented in equal numbers.

Oh, I get it. Francois Sloan is colour blind! That's the joke, right? ... Right? :bjarte:
No, the problem is you are looking at this through the lens of unchecked cis-specied and cis-gendered privilege. Where the fuck are the Otherkins, Furries, Scalies, Bronies, etc. and how can we be sure there are a proportionally representative number of trans and girlcocks in this picture?

This is outrageous! I feel like someone should start a change.org petition or maybe a hashtag or something.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

bhoytony wrote:
Absolutely, you possess all the skills needed to dress as an elf and fight with toy swords.
I'll play a Pict in my next one, around November. Thanks for the dressing tip.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

Tribble wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:So I finally finished Skyrim. Kind of anti-climatic so I was thinking of going on a world wide murder spree. Kill all who are killable. Has anyone tried this yet? Is there infinite guard respawn that I'll have to contend with or can I make the cities near ghost towns?

It's been done to death. If you find a Skyrim wiki, there's a list of non-killable NPCs. You can kill everyone else.
Yeah I got bored after wiping out most of Solitude.

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

feathers wrote:
Nec_V20 wrote:I will be gone for a little while, but I will be watching and when I get back I will have the "sarcasm" to suit each of you.

You piss Godwin's Law into the wind just as you were willing a couple of days ago to piss the no doxxing rule into the wind.

The only thing you buggers revere is when you get the tar kicked out of you which I did with regard to getting on board with your "sarcasm".

Give me a few weeks of looking where your individual underbellies are weak and we will see how you whine about me to stop - but no you can't because you have no principles.

See you all anon.
...that went downhill really fast :shock:
What just happened?

He sounds like Hitler, who by the way, lives at Prinzregentenplatz 16, second floor.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Ban PA, he has just doxxed Hitler.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
I wouldn't know about that, I'm American. Or Australian. Or something, I've lost track of it.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Katamari:
There are infinite guards. Period.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

bhoytony wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
I wouldn't know about that, I'm American. Or Australian. Or something, I've lost track of it.
I thought you were Finnish. The mystery thickens...

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/4F13bMr.png

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

another lurker wrote:Ban PA, he has just doxxed Hitler.
Goblins Law! You and PA said Hitler! Goblins law!

Oh shit! I just said Hitler...shit I did it again!

This tread is hereby quadruple closed and locked

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

That a dude?

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:That a dude?
It's a LARPer, so hard to tell.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

I was kinda wondering the same thing.

If I magnify the photo I think I can see a breast hiding behind the left arm...but then could be man boob.

That photo leaves me angry and confused.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

'dude' is a social construct

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Parody Accountant wrote:Oi. Kiwi, I already had that album from what.cd from a few months ago. Only 8 seeders, and I am one of them. Tried to download it again from myself, like a boss.

Doh!
:lol:

I got into that music in my first year at Uni (1985). It had passed me by up until then. The Dunedin sound was prevalent in most NZ music at that stage (even if it came from somewhere else, like Auckland).

Toy Love and The Bats were some of my favourites (I had the hots for Kaye from the Bats, and stared creepily at her the whole time during a gig at Massey Uni). I just checked - The Bats are still going!

Chris Knox was epic, so bloody prodigious. He was in Tall Dwarfs at the time. And he is apparently still doing some live performances despite his stroke.

Who else? Look Blue, Go Purple; The Chills; etc etc etc

[youtube]XtmlfuEukMs[/youtube]

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

I'll go with chick for 200$ Alex.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

bhoytony wrote:
If it's a dude, I couldn't do what he does with his sword. I'd need something way bigger. (that's what she said?)

But I'm planning to play almost nude, except for basic decency (there will be kids, and I'm not Clarence). We're going for semi-historical this time.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:Here's a really interesting interview with John Lydon (aka Johnny Rotten) on voting, UKIP, Russell Brand, and anarchy.
Can't say I agree with all he says but I can respect his opinion. It is clearly thought out and well reasoned. He is a clever man with some very interesting points of view. SJWs take note. That is how you need to come across
I was surprised at how (almost) like Billy Bragg he was in his thoughts. It was certainly different to the Sex Pistols and PIL persona.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

The body says chubby, the face says hubby...

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
bhoytony wrote:
If it's a dude, I couldn't do what he does with his sword. I'd need something way bigger. (that's what she said?)

But I'm planning to play almost nude, except for basic decency (there will be kids, and I'm not Clarence). We're going for semi-historical this time.
Might be doing the Australian tuck.

(Popularized in silence of the lambs)

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
bhoytony wrote:

Will you have a semi-historical rubber blacksmith to make the swords?

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

bhoytony wrote:

Why's he got to be a black smith?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

For those wishing to gain a deeper understanding of the modern Republican movement in Ireland, I recommend the following book. A fantastic dig into the inner machinations, that created the Provos, and what became of the IRA that they split from.

http://www.history.ac.uk/reviews/review/915

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Za-zen wrote:For those wishing to gain a deeper understanding of the modern Republican movement in Ireland, I recommend the following book. A fantastic dig into the inner machinations, that created the Provos, and what became of the IRA that they split from.

Price 9.99€...what's that in real money?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

bhoytony wrote:
Yeah, not a big fan of your blatant racism, shitlord.

But yes, there will be one. We like to have some fun. We're not fans of dying a horrible death. Much.

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
bhoytony wrote: You're a Wop aren't you?
Wop: Warrior Of Power?

He obviously meant Woman Of Penis, the new preferred nomenclature for People Previously Referred To As Trans*.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Ready to bet "blacksmith" is a future target of SJWs?

Za-zen

Post by Za-zen »

Spike13 wrote:
Za-zen wrote:For those wishing to gain a deeper understanding of the modern Republican movement in Ireland, I recommend the following book. A fantastic dig into the inner machinations, that created the Provos, and what became of the IRA that they split from.

Price 9.99€...what's that in real money?
£ not euro's, I wouldn't expect you to know the difference in pound sterling and euro, being a colonial, and it being the original reserve currency of the entire international commercial world. Only insidiously removed from it's perch in the back room deal that lead to the US entry into the second Great War, incidentally won by the USSR. Though the US did through haste manage to secure a European trading bloc via D Day.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

In north Jersey and NYC, it isn't unusual to see equipt. used by boiler room engineers stenciled " black gang"

This came from the days when buildings were heated/ cooled /powered by coal fired boilers.

The guys would have coal dust all over them, hence black gang.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Meh,€,£,¥,, :animals-duckie: :animals-pig: in Murica' we use $ :flags-usa:

Murcia' Fuck Yeah!

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

[youtube]7R5A0pg4oN8[/youtube]

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

That's cause we and the British were smart,
Yep, we're coming Joe, just gotta tidy up here in Northern Africa, we'll open up that second front any day now....you just keep fight in' them heinies

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:[youtube]7R5A0pg4oN8[/youtube]
That... That was ..(wipes tear from eye) awesome...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Spike13 wrote:
That... That was ..(wipes tear from eye) awesome...
There's another one for Australia, couldn't find a French one(neither did anyone else circa...oh, you get the joke!)

[youtube]F4AchHTN-XQ[/youtube]

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:BOOM! Headshot!
You know that we're not going to hear the end of this one, yes? - that folks will take that as a threat.
Fuck's sake! I meant that in the context of all that "native headdress" bullshit, Bhoytony got clear proof of cultural appropriation and lack of care for cultural sensibilities from the Skepchicks.

Maybe I should have used "bulls eye"?
I knew what you meant, too, but you really handed them a nugget of pure quote-mine. That's all.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
I knew what you meant, too, but you really handed them a nugget of pure quote-mine. That's all.
Ok, we're cool. That's feeder for Zvan's "poetry".

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

How the heck does one post pics on here?

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Spike13 wrote:How the heck does one post pics on here?
the same way one simply walks into Mordor.

Find a pic host (photobucket, imgur...) Upload the pic there, copy the direct link and use the IMG tags.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Spike13 wrote:How the heck does one post pics on here?
You have to give Gumby a handjob before he'll enable your pic-posting privileges.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Sure. Saying "it's nice today" would have had the same effect.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Dornier Pfeil wrote:
Sulman wrote:Sarkeesian's twitter timeline is like a machine at the moment. She just spouts non-stop rhetoric and people lap it up. Amazing.

Her death threat was an absolute gift. Literally couldn't have been better if she had done it herself.
Sarkeesian is now a 'pioneer'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/search?q=anita%20sarkeesan
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/082009/125067 ... arfing.gif

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

That's it. We're officially in the Twilight Zone. Anita Sarkeesian has now been named a "pioneer" in the New York Times. She started a hashtag on Twitter called #StopGamerGate2014, blaming the threats she received on Gamergate and people are gobbling it up. Joss whedon once again tweeted about her and it was retweeted over 3,000 times. Editor at Giant Bomb says, Patrick Klepek, says we should be proud to have Sarkeesian in the gaming industry.

And the list goes on and on. Something is very, very wrong here.

The most frustrating thing is, I can't do anything about it. And the most ironic thing of all, right now Sarkeesian probably has more clout and with the ability to influence conversation than most men in the industry put together. But at a moment's notice she can turn it all around and claim victimhood. 'Women are oppressed, women are silenced.' Her threat is proof. Oddly enough, despite getting numerous death threats over the years, she never once published them. Not on Twitter or on any other social network. The first time she did was after the release of her most recent video. Then all of a sudden, the threats came like wildfire. Amazing coincidence.

Fuck it. I am done. Hopefully someone with a voice will pick it up and take her to task. Her smear campaign against gamers, her propaganda to implicate #gamergate, it's insane. Not holding my breath.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Yeah Pitch, I'm of the same mind. Let them sort their shit out, I don't care, I have enough games to play for the next 20 years.

If tomorrow all games are copies of Depression Quest, it won't sadden me. It will be a big laugh to see all those talented devs quit big houses because of some fascistic ideology.

And then everything will get back to normal.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

When I was in high school, we had a bomb threat once. Ian Paisley rented our gym to give a speech or something. Anyway, know what the school did? Sent everybody home.

Of course, everybody knows that you take a threat from the Irish a lot more seriously than fucking nancy-boy misogynists.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Pitchguest wrote:That's it. We're officially in the Twilight Zone. Anita Sarkeesian has now been named a "pioneer" in the New York Times. She started a hashtag on Twitter called #StopGamerGate2014, blaming the threats she received on Gamergate and people are gobbling it up. Joss whedon once again tweeted about her and it was retweeted over 3,000 times. Editor at Giant Bomb says, Patrick Klepek, says we should be proud to have Sarkeesian in the gaming industry.

And the list goes on and on. Something is very, very wrong here.

The most frustrating thing is, I can't do anything about it. And the most ironic thing of all, right now Sarkeesian probably has more clout and with the ability to influence conversation than most men in the industry put together. But at a moment's notice she can turn it all around and claim victimhood. 'Women are oppressed, women are silenced.' Her threat is proof. Oddly enough, despite getting numerous death threats over the years, she never once published them. Not on Twitter or on any other social network. The first time she did was after the release of her most recent video. Then all of a sudden, the threats came like wildfire. Amazing coincidence.

Fuck it. I am done. Hopefully someone with a voice will pick it up and take her to task. Her smear campaign against gamers, her propaganda to implicate #gamergate, it's insane. Not holding my breath.
The gamer gate folks are fighting this stuff, there will be peaks and valleys.

They have already had an impact, this isn't going away.

The SJW's have the advantage of running the on line games media as well access to the mainstream media.

(Pretty woman getting death threats over gaming is a much better ratings grabber than games media full of colluding duochebags)

Let them enjoy the peak, cause the valley is really gonna suck.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Dornier Pfeil wrote:
The problem with the Corsair was more political than mechanical. That is to say the mechanical problem was only a problem because the Navy needed an excuse to reject the Corsair. The British were using clipped wing Corsairs off of jeep carriers, much smaller and narrower then the American carriers where supposedly the Corsair couldn't safely operate due to the oleo problem.
I almost brought that up when someone was posting about how the Spitfire pilots had to relearn dogfighting techniques when they went to the Pacific.

It was the Brits, not the Americans who figured out how to safely land Corsairs on Air Craft Carriers. And the Corsairs did a hell of a job against the Nazis. They'd try their successful against RAF Spitfire techniques against the Royal Navy Corsairs and get their asses handed to them.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Skep tickle wrote:MN is continuing to press PZM for a retraction & apology.
I like Michael. He has tenacity. pz did something really stupid, abhorrent and wrong. So Michale deconstructs it. Lays out a wall of Steermanesque evidence that pz has done wrong. And he continues to follow up on it.

[youtube]LdF_Vo4B6Ms[/youtube]

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Signing off.

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

Eventually Peez is going to get tired of MN calling him out and fire some non sense out at him.

Can't wait :popcorn:

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Kirbmarc wrote:
I think Anita is going to regret dragging the FBI into this. They are now obliged to pursue this thoroughly, and there are some odd inconsistencies with the "Kevin Dobson" screencap that started it all. Anita Sarkeesian is a con artist; I hope she gets kicked in the con.
I strongly doubt that she's behind it. However if the person who wrote the threats is caught and it turns out he or she is not a Thunderfoot fan, no matter what reason made him or her write the threats, David Futrelle will owe Thunderfoot a public, explicit apology.

But I'm not holding my breath.
What's the basis for your 'strong doubt'? I see her as the most likely suspect. It's suddenly put her in all the headlines, and any & all opposition to her can now be guiltified by association. It's perfect for her. And we know she's a liar and a con artist.

Parody Accountant

TedDahlberg wrote:Since Giant Bomb, the last gaming site I actually followed, now seemingly has jumped feet first in as anti-Gamer Gate via Patrick Klepek, I'm done. I'm out. Cancelled my subscription to the site, and from now on I'll be checking out the Playstation blog and the Xbox equivalent for new releases, and that'll have to be it.

For my fix of entertaining video game videos, I'll stick with Game Center CX. Japanese TV show of a guy who plays old video games, usually badly. If that's not bulletproof from bullshit politics, I'm getting off this planet.

[youtube]ocmkuhEiOd0[/youtube]
In the event you have the need for googled /metacritic'd content/reviews... nichegamer (pro gg), escapist (neutral) come to mind as click-worthy.

I don't know gamespot's take, so I assume they dodged taking sides. I click there every once in awhile.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Wow. Still not sure if Ariel (commenting on MN's blog) is a brilliant POE/troll or one of the stupidest people that I've come across in a while, but it no longer matters. Reading what s/h/it writes causes too much pain. I give. S/h/it wins.
Oh, they're for real (and probably somebody we know and don't love by another name). It's just that the SJWs are used to their gish gallops, non sequiturs and word-games working. When ganged-up on by folks who apply logic, stay on topic, and don't chase red herrings, they grow confused, then frustrated, then angry, then flounce. Flee back to the echo chamber!

Parody Accountant

Sweet. I'm still not banned for my doxxing.

I guess Damion was right. You are all protecting a jewslayer.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:Oi. Kiwi, I already had that album from what.cd from a few months ago. Only 8 seeders, and I am one of them. Tried to download it again from myself, like a boss.

Doh!
:lol:

I got into that music in my first year at Uni (1985). It had passed me by up until then. The Dunedin sound was prevalent in most NZ music at that stage (even if it came from somewhere else, like Auckland).

Toy Love and The Bats were some of my favourites (I had the hots for Kaye from the Bats, and stared creepily at her the whole time during a gig at Massey Uni). I just checked - The Bats are still going!

Chris Knox was epic, so bloody prodigious. He was in Tall Dwarfs at the time. And he is apparently still doing some live performances despite his stroke.

Who else? Look Blue, Go Purple; The Chills; etc etc etc

[youtube]XtmlfuEukMs[/youtube]
You shitlord, put a trigger warning on that crap.

Tall Dwarfs did an epic gig at Victoria Uni my first year there (1984). There was a magic mushroom thing going on at the uni halls I was in, combined with Sambuca and the weird lighting at the gig. I feel ill now just thinking about it.

It was the same year they released Slugbucket Hairybreath Monster - I never knew they had met Peezus back then.

[youtube]4DfJc0Une5g[/youtube]