Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
BlueShiftRhino

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:What's the basis for your 'strong doubt'? I see her as the most likely suspect. It's suddenly put her in all the headlines, and any & all opposition to her can now be guiltified by association. It's perfect for her. And we know she's a liar and a con artist.
My new pet theory is that the boyfriend did it and didn't tell her. (He didn't trust her acting ability and he remains hidden, so his ability to act isn't needed.)

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Parody Accountant wrote:Oi. Kiwi, I already had that album from what.cd from a few months ago. Only 8 seeders, and I am one of them. Tried to download it again from myself, like a boss.

Doh!
:lol:

I got into that music in my first year at Uni (1985). It had passed me by up until then. The Dunedin sound was prevalent in most NZ music at that stage (even if it came from somewhere else, like Auckland).

Toy Love and The Bats were some of my favourites (I had the hots for Kaye from the Bats, and stared creepily at her the whole time during a gig at Massey Uni). I just checked - The Bats are still going!

Chris Knox was epic, so bloody prodigious. He was in Tall Dwarfs at the time. And he is apparently still doing some live performances despite his stroke.

Who else? Look Blue, Go Purple; The Chills; etc etc etc

[youtube]XtmlfuEukMs[/youtube]
Holy fuck. Slymepit. Play this video. If you don't like the music, that's cool... everyone has they're tastes etc. Check out the last 20-30 seconds. Amazing and VERY germane to the discussion at the pyt.

(This song is awesome Kiwi, IMO... This is much more relevant than most pytters will ever know.)

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Spike13 wrote:Meh,€,£,¥,, :animals-duckie: :animals-pig: in Murica' we use $ :flags-usa:

Murcia' Fuck Yeah!
Could everyone please convert monetary figures to the official Slymepit currency, the quatloo?

Parody Accountant

Quarter of a quatloo = chicken right?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

feathers wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:Quick history lesson. The Angles and the Saxons were not destroyed. That is why the English are sometimes know as the the Anglo Saxons.
Aha, tribal appropriation!

Of the list, I didn't know that the Frisians and the Jutes have ever been so far from home. But extinct they aren't.
http://www.fsr.de/downloads/galerien/fs ... cker_1.jpg

Thug life north frisia & lower saxony.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I strongly doubt that she's behind it. However if the person who wrote the threats is caught and it turns out he or she is not a Thunderfoot fan, no matter what reason made him or her write the threats, David Futrelle will owe Thunderfoot a public, explicit apology.

But I'm not holding my breath.
What's the basis for your 'strong doubt'? I see her as the most likely suspect. It's suddenly put her in all the headlines, and any & all opposition to her can now be guiltified by association. It's perfect for her. And we know she's a liar and a con artist.
Shouldn't it the default position that the person didn't do it themselves? As in the burden of brook lies on you if you want to claim otherwise? Even if you give each plausible suspect (and I agree Sarkeesian should be included in that group) equal odds, you're left with an overwhelming probability that it wasn't her. There are countless idiots, psychos, and idiotic psychos on the internet who could have very easily been behind this. Their presence washes Sarkeesian out with ease. Suggesting that we should then assume it was her strikes me as paranoia.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Default position should be to suspect the person who has the most to gain from it. (cf. Reichstag Fire.)

HelpingHand

Post by HelpingHand »

screwtape wrote: If I can vote for a favourite too, I'm going for the Mosquito, followed by the Mk.Ia Spit. Following the sad demise of G-ASKH in 2006 (here, for the ghoulish), I'm glad to say there is a restored Mosquito flying in New Zealand:

[youtube]M-I4hZah_Pc[/youtube]
KA114, the Mosquito in the video, was returned to airworthy status in New Zealand, but has since been brought to the United States. It is now at a museum in Virginia and making some appearances at east coast airshows.

A second flying Mosquito just took to the air this year up in British Columbia and had her first public display at Abbotsford.

[youtube]EXU3nG1QZ-k[/youtube]

All hail (in no great order after the first):
P-38
DH.98
DH.100
A-10
C-130
SR-71
P-61
XB-70
V-22

Parody Accountant

HelpingHand wrote:
screwtape wrote: If I can vote for a favourite too, I'm going for the Mosquito, followed by the Mk.Ia Spit. Following the sad demise of G-ASKH in 2006 (here, for the ghoulish), I'm glad to say there is a restored Mosquito flying in New Zealand:

[youtube]M-I4hZah_Pc[/youtube]
KA114, the Mosquito in the video, was returned to airworthy status in New Zealand, but has since been brought to the United States. It is now at a museum in Virginia and making some appearances at east coast airshows.

A second flying Mosquito just took to the air this year up in British Columbia and had her first public display at Abbotsford.

[youtube]EXU3nG1QZ-k[/youtube]

All hail (in no great order after the first):
P-38
DH.98
DH.100
A-10
C-130
SR-71
P-61
XB-70
V-22
He's right. I was just about to post this video which makes his point in a MUCH STRONGER TONE. (Basically, fuck those other planes. They are for sub-pussy manlets.)

Proof:

[youtube]p1GnG5dwCqs[/youtube]

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Default position should be to suspect the person who has the most to gain from it. (cf. Reichstag Fire.)
I don't think so. That suggests anytime something fortunate happens to someone they conspired to bring about those events.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Default position should be to suspect the person who has the most to gain from it. (cf. Reichstag Fire.)
I don't think so. That suggests anytime something fortunate happens to someone they conspired to bring about those events.
So you really think it was a Dutch communist?

Semi

Post by Semi »

Tribble wrote: Only at low speeds. When you got to high-speed dogfights, the Zero's large ailerons (that gave it all that low-speed maneuverability through its very high roll rate) proved to make the aircraft controls stiff and difficult to use. One of the side effects of those stiff controls were Zero pilots turning into plowboys as they couldn't pull out of dives if they failed to throttle-back.
Yep, I didn't want to get into the detail of this in what is essentially an off-topic post, but the Zero couldn't turn or roll worth shit above 300 mph, hence the high speed gun runs favored by the Americans. If you've ever been up close to a Zero and examined it, its aluminum skin feels little thicker than a beer can.

Tribble wrote:Don't get me wrong, I really like the Hellcat. And the Bearcat though it didn't see much action. But the Corsair was just a better plane and could out-fight/out-maneuver every plane in the US arsenal including the vaunted P-51D Mustang.
I've talked to several P-51D pilots who would disagree with that :) The Hellcat was a more stable gun platform and could out-turn a Corsair at most speeds. The Mustang was a more efficient airframe, and could take the fight to Berlin and return, which the Corsair could never do.
Tribble wrote:I would say, btw, the Hellcat wasn't so much designed to be a 'zero killer' in some sort of surgical warfare concept, but rather as a 'flying tank' that could out-last and out-hit a zero and, essentially, maul it to death while taking a hell of a pounding.
You might find this from Wikipedia article on the Akutan Zero interesting:
Data from the captured Zero had been transmitted to the Bureau of Aeronautics and Grumman Aircraft. After careful study, Roy Grumman decided that he could match or surpass the Zero in most respects, except in range, without sacrificing pilot armor, self-sealing tanks and fuselage structure. The new F6F Hellcat would compensate for the extra weight with additional power.
Btw, in a former life I used to produce PC combat flight sims. Had a couple of best selling games too. In my research for these games, I've read a couple of hundred books, flight manuals, and first person histories on WW2 fighters and tactics, compiled performance and armament tables, and talked to surviving pilots. I've also worked on more modern warfare flight sims as well, working with Air Force consultants to try to make the sims as realistic as possible.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
That reference is lost on me. :think:

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
I would think that conspiracies are rare, and malicious nutbars are common. Ergo, it takes more evidence to conclude that something like the Reichstag fire was a conspiracy.

Speaking from ignorance, was there actual historical evidence of a conspiracy there?

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

thunderf00t is at it again:
[youtube]UgHmTmUjFF0[/youtube]
Includes Sarkeesian talking about an "Information Cascade" wherein fiction becomes fact by repeating over and over from multiple sources. :lol:

Dornier Pfeil

Post by Dornier Pfeil »

another lurker wrote:It was also fun learning to shoot *ahead* of your target, to anticipate where they will go next.
It's called deflection shooting. Hans Joachim Marseille was the undisputed master of it during the war.

Dornier Pfeil

Post by Dornier Pfeil »

Semi wrote:
Tribble wrote:I would say, btw, the Hellcat wasn't so much designed to be a 'zero killer' in some sort of surgical warfare concept, but rather as a 'flying tank' that could out-last and out-hit a zero and, essentially, maul it to death while taking a hell of a pounding.
You might find this from Wikipedia article on the Akutan Zero interesting:
Data from the captured Zero had been transmitted to the Bureau of Aeronautics and Grumman Aircraft. After careful study, Roy Grumman decided that he could match or surpass the Zero in most respects, except in range, without sacrificing pilot armor, self-sealing tanks and fuselage structure. The new F6F Hellcat would compensate for the extra weight with additional power.
Btw, in a former life I used to produce PC combat flight sims. Had a couple of best selling games too. In my research for these games, I've read a couple of hundred books, flight manuals, and first person histories on WW2 fighters and tactics, compiled performance and armament tables, and talked to surviving pilots. I've also worked on more modern warfare flight sims as well, working with Air Force consultants to try to make the sims as realistic as possible.
I have no idea why people keep bringing up the canard that the Hellcat was designed to specifically counter the Zero. The Akutan Zero was not touched by allied hands until July 11, 1942. The first flight of the Hellcat was June 26, 1942. The Hellcat had been in design for FOUR years by that point. There were certainly huge amounts of pilot input to the designers during the first 6 months of the war and a major design change (the bigger 18 cylinder engine over the 14 cylinder) but the Hellcat was it's own airplane. It did not exist solely as an answer to the Zero. Perhaps you should go renew your credentials.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Kirbmarc wrote:
I strongly doubt that she's behind it. However if the person who wrote the threats is caught and it turns out he or she is not a Thunderfoot fan, no matter what reason made him or her write the threats, David Futrelle will owe Thunderfoot a public, explicit apology.

But I'm not holding my breath.
What's the basis for your 'strong doubt'? I see her as the most likely suspect. It's suddenly put her in all the headlines, and any & all opposition to her can now be guiltified by association. It's perfect for her. And we know she's a liar and a con artist.
Shouldn't it the default position that the person didn't do it themselves?
Not exactly.

As you all know, I'm a huge fan of Bayesian stuff, so I love me (long time) the whole "extraordinary claims..." thing. Well, what makes a claim "extraordinary" is low prior odds. But given what she did for a living before finding her current gig, the prior odds aren't exactly low.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

Parody Accountant wrote:

He's right. I was just about to post this video which makes his point in a MUCH STRONGER TONE. (Basically, fuck those other planes. They are for sub-pussy manlets.)

Proof:

[youtube]p1GnG5dwCqs[/youtube]

OMFG that is awesome. HAHA. Train buffs are great. Speaking of men who are not manlets, my grandfather was the roadmaster in Sons of Freedom (terrorists) territory - basically, the Doukhobors would bomb the tracks, so he had to go out every day and check for bombs. I think they actually succeeded once, and managed to derail a train. Nasty job. To this day, my mom still gets harassed by train buffs asking her to tell them all about her dad's job as roadmaster.

jet_lagg

Post by jet_lagg »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Shouldn't it the default position that the person didn't do it themselves?
Not exactly.

As you all know, I'm a huge fan of Bayesian stuff, so I love me (long time) the whole "extraordinary claims..." thing. Well, what makes a claim "extraordinary" is low prior odds. But given what she did for a living before finding her current gig, the prior odds aren't exactly low.
That would indeed shift the prior odds (another bayesian here...), but in order for that to happen, I'd need to see confirmation that she'd conspired to create false threat narratives in the past. I'm not aware of anything like that. What she did do, so far as I can tell, is take advantage of the trolls/psychos that are already out there.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Opyt wrote:thunderf00t is at it again:
Includes Sarkeesian talking about an "Information Cascade" wherein fiction becomes fact by repeating over and over from multiple sources. :lol:
The most amusing thing with her recently was how she and her collaborator/boyfriend were so clearly bent out of shape that Bayonetta 2 was getting glowing reviews almost everywhere, along with many perfect scores, and only one site (Polygon) even brought up the whole objectification thing. Also, after her boy got all supercilious about it, "Bayonnetta's Ass" created an account and followed him on Twitter. :lol:

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

didymos wrote:The most amusing thing with her recently was how she and her collaborator/boyfriend were so clearly bent out of shape that Bayonetta 2 was getting glowing reviews almost everywhere, along with many perfect scores, and only one site (Polygon) even brought up the whole objectification thing. Also, after her boy got all supercilious about it, "Bayonnetta's Ass" created an account and followed him on Twitter. :lol:
I think it's best described as:
they're mad that the rest of the world didn't get their GameJournosPro Memo and listen & believe it :lol:

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:What's the basis for your 'strong doubt'? I see her as the most likely suspect. It's suddenly put her in all the headlines, and any & all opposition to her can now be guiltified by association. It's perfect for her. And we know she's a liar and a con artist.
My new pet theory is that the boyfriend did it and didn't tell her. (He didn't trust her acting ability and he remains hidden, so his ability to act isn't needed.)
Jonathan McIntosh is seen by some as her puppet master so I would not be surprised if it was him or one of his or her friends/allies. OTOH it could be some other loony. The net is full of them.

AndrewV69

Post by AndrewV69 »

Welp,

This happened in #GamerGate :
A quote from the link above in the tweet titled #GamerGate may be a victim of a false flag operation
We do know that at least a portion of the "harassment" had been manufactured to taint the movement.
by Avatar for A SJW Squirrel A SJW Squirrel 3 hours ago 4 Likes 2,223 Views
So don't fret. If someone who has a lot of irreverent disagreements about your movement can be moved to speak up in your defense, then you know that your opposition has messed up, MAJORLY. I can tell you that in the long run, this will not end well for them.
Personally I suspect she is being too optimistic, but I could be wrong.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

There was a chrome update and now I can't even select the videos linked on the pit in order to watch them. Annoying.

Semi

Post by Semi »

Dornier Pfeil wrote: I have no idea why people keep bringing up the canard that the Hellcat was designed to specifically counter the Zero. The Akutan Zero was not touched by allied hands until July 11, 1942. The first flight of the Hellcat was June 26, 1942. The Hellcat had been in design for FOUR years by that point. There were certainly huge amounts of pilot input to the designers during the first 6 months of the war and a major design change (the bigger 18 cylinder engine over the 14 cylinder) but the Hellcat was it's own airplane. It did not exist solely as an answer to the Zero. Perhaps you should go renew your credentials.
Perhaps you are getting hung up on the word "design." No one is claiming that plans and prototypes of a plane that would eventually become the Hellcat didn't exist before the Akutan Zero, but that the design and performance parameters of that plane were significantly influenced by analysis of the captured Zero specifically to counter the Zero's performance, most notably in the area of top speed and climb rate, which led to the replacement of the R-2600-16 with the 2800 Double Wasp to meet or exceed the performance of the Zero. Without the Akutan Zero data, the Hellcat would have been fielded with inferior performance and would not have had the amazing success that it did. So yes, it was designed to counter the Zero.

I'll ignore you childish insult for this time.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

didymos wrote:
Opyt wrote:thunderf00t is at it again:
The most amusing thing with her recently was how she and her collaborator/boyfriend were so clearly bent out of shape that Bayonetta 2 was getting glowing reviews almost everywhere, along with many perfect scores, and only one site (Polygon) even brought up the whole objectification thing. Also, after her boy got all supercilious about it, "Bayonnetta's Ass" created an account and followed him on Twitter. :lol:
didy, I have no idea what you're talking about but it sounds very interesting to me and The Pit ("Piteresting"? Is this a useful word?)

Anyway, could you post some links/images to show what you mean?

If this stuff has already been posted, and I just missed it, feel free to tell me to go eat :hankey: .

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

Semi, could you give us a link to your avatar gif, and also some background info on the subject (probably Wiki)?

Thanks.

another lurker

Post by another lurker »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:Semi, could you give us a link to your avatar gif, and also some background info on the subject (probably Wiki)?

Thanks.
http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/mrrogers.asp

Suck it.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

You have to admire sarkeesian s sang-froid. There's a psycho stalker following her around trying to blow her up, but she's still cool & collected enough to parlay that into mega PR gains.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Matt:
There's no reason to think these threats are remotely actionable, so far we have one person in Brazil that has been clearly outed as a nutjob trying to use Sarkeesian to promote his blog. And a bunch of anonymous threats that have not been pursued to the fullest extent of the law, as in no arrests have been made.

It would be nice if that Kevin Dobson character/caricature would get caught and removed from circulation. As well as the whacko down in Brazil, and of course the person threatening to commit a mass murder in one of the worst, or as William Johnstone would say: most polite, possible areas, where nearly everyone there would have been able to stop it.

Garlix

Post by Garlix »

jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:

The "official" culprit for the 1933 Reichstag fire was a Dutch communist called Van Der Lubbe.

Current opinion is divided about his guilt. The dominant theory is that he really did it, but it's quite possible that the Nazis set up the whole thing as a false flag operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire

In consideration of the Slymepit's notoriously highbrow reputation, I will of course refrain from puerile jokes about how certain feminists could use a bit of Lubbe. :naughty:

Glen_Davidson

Post by Glen_Davidson »

Semi wrote:
Dornier Pfeil wrote: I have no idea why people keep bringing up the canard that the Hellcat was designed to specifically counter the Zero. The Akutan Zero was not touched by allied hands until July 11, 1942. The first flight of the Hellcat was June 26, 1942. The Hellcat had been in design for FOUR years by that point. There were certainly huge amounts of pilot input to the designers during the first 6 months of the war and a major design change (the bigger 18 cylinder engine over the 14 cylinder) but the Hellcat was it's own airplane. It did not exist solely as an answer to the Zero. Perhaps you should go renew your credentials.
Perhaps you are getting hung up on the word "design." No one is claiming that plans and prototypes of a plane that would eventually become the Hellcat didn't exist before the Akutan Zero, but that the design and performance parameters of that plane were significantly influenced by analysis of the captured Zero specifically to counter the Zero's performance, most notably in the area of top speed and climb rate, which led to the replacement of the R-2600-16 with the 2800 Double Wasp to meet or exceed the performance of the Zero. Without the Akutan Zero data, the Hellcat would have been fielded with inferior performance and would not have had the amazing success that it did. So yes, it was designed to counter the Zero.

I'll ignore you childish insult for this time.
The Akutan Zero wasn't the first one the US had its hands on, according to what I've read. At least one Zero had been dismantled and smuggled out of China, I believe mostly, but not entirely, complete (another crash, probably). I don't believe it was greatly earlier than the Akutan Zero became available, but months at least, maybe a year or more.

Even before they had the Zero from China they would know something about what the Zero could do--because pilots (especially) had seen what it could do.

It's also claimed that the Allied planes had significantly more power, at least 25% more as I recall, than the Axis because the former had petroleum cracking technology, resulting in higher octane fuel than the Axis had.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://tinyurl.com/mxaa3p

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Garlix wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote: So you really think it was a Dutch communist?

The "official" culprit for the 1933 Reichstag fire was a Dutch communist called Van Der Lubbe.

Current opinion is divided about his guilt. The dominant theory is that he really did it, but it's quite possible that the Nazis set up the whole thing as a false flag operation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichstag_fire

In consideration of the Slymepit's notoriously highbrow reputation, I will of course refrain from puerile jokes about how certain feminists could use a bit of Lubbe. :naughty:
Lubbe is, of course, all you need.

Apples

Post by Apples »

Dear fellow shitlords -

If you post here all the time, please register an account. That way people can make sure to put you on their friends list so your awesome stuff will be highlighted for them and they'll never miss a post.

As ConcH2O suggested earlier, if you post about how this that and the other thing happening on the web that you were just looking at and want to tell everyone about is super interesting, it would sure be great if you would try to add a link.

Thanks, and fuck off and die in a fire.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Skep tickle wrote:MN is continuing to press PZM for a retraction & apology.
I like Michael. He has tenacity. pz did something really stupid, abhorrent and wrong. So Michale deconstructs it. Lays out a wall of Steermanesque evidence that pz has done wrong. And he continues to follow up on it.

[youtube]LdF_Vo4B6Ms[/youtube]
I'm not sure where he is going with it. I think he has a plan, likely agreed with AI. I suspect this episode has been brewing for some time for reasons we no not know. Nugent acted with honesty and integrity during last years talks even though we were seen as the baddies. He knew about the doxxing last year too (I told him by PM that was the reason we wanted to pull out and I think it was generally known anyway) So maybe he has simply taken some time to look at all the evidence and came to the conclusion people had been trying to hoodwinking him by exploiting his good nature, namely those he extended a hand of friendship to at when he invited them over.

Nugent's social Justice activities actually mean something real with positive action taken to address issues in an open, honest and frank way. His approach is a million miles away from the vindictive, censorious, self interested and self righteous victim addicts he saw at FtB and Skepchick. The one thing SJW's are great at is biting the hand that feeds them.

feathers

Post by feathers »

AndrewV69 wrote:Jonathan McIntosh is seen by some as her puppet master so I would not be surprised if it was him or one of his or her friends/allies. OTOH it could be some other loony. The net is full of them.
So is Jonathan McIntosh, Sarkeesian's pimp, or does she get to keep the money if he can keep the agitprop credits? Has any of those other journalists even noted that Anita's boyfriend is a Propagandaminister by his own admission?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

JackSkeptic wrote:
some guy wrote: [.quote="Skep tickle"]h/t @PhilosophyExp (Stangroom) on twitter:
"This Pwnage Applies to All Sniveling Dictionary Atheists" at En Tequila Es Verdad

https://archive.today/e54AV

Images & links not copied over
Another day, another white male atheist stuffed full of himself to bursting, all eager to tell us icky feminists, people of color, LGBTQ folk, and other sundry social justice warrior types that we’re getting smudge marks all over his atheism. It’s pristine! It’s pure! It’s just a dictionary definition! Ewww, stop getting your SJW cooties all over it, yucky! *runs away screaming like the boys we used to chase at recess in the first grade*
[ ... snip]

[./quote]

Standard SJW (FtB strain) confusion.

Atheism implies a rejection of arguments for or against a particular position/policy *based on religion*. But that does not mean that there aren't other valid arguments that can be advanced for or against a particular position/policy. For example, not eating beef based on religious proscriptions would, to an atheist, be unreasonable. But there might be other sound reasons to avoid eating beef.

If they want people to support their other positions, they need to present sound arguments based on evidence and reason to support them.
It's a classic bait and switch. Either they are stupid, supremely ignorant or supremely arrogant to assume everyone must follow their particular, poisonous social philosophy simply for not believing in something. Even worse, it assumes that the ONLY way to come to socially aware conclusions is via a non belief. That is so stupid it is not even wrong. If I do not believe in unicorns what does that mean I must believe in? According to their logic there must be a causal relationship to something. If so what it is?

So why do they make such assertions?:

1. They are so lacking in self awareness it never crosses their mind that others can have different yet valid opinions to them or that they can get to the same conclusion using a different route than atheism. It never crosses their mind that the fact Atheism Plus has nothing to do with atheism, Freethought Blogs has no freethought and Skepchics are not skeptics will produce anything but derision and be a source of great amusement. Their whole basis of belief is deeply flawed even if the beliefs are themselves valid. Most people come to the same conclusions using simple logic and reason, something they are unable to do. They have to wrap their beliefs up in pseudo intellectual mumbo jumbo for it to make sense to them.

2. They are so self absorbed and parochial they do not grasp others have different life experiences which will influence their beliefs, how they wish to express them and how they arrived at them. To most people that is a given. But they really fail to grasp that simple truism about human behavior.

3. They are bigots and control freaks by nature. Many suffer from narcissistic tendencies. It is no coincidence that most of the lies, censuring, shunning, doxxing and abuse comes from them. It is like no one ever said to them 'NO' and they can't handle free open and honest discourse so they have to cheat. If their arguments stood on their merits they would not have to do this. Nugent believes and supports many of their aims, he does not have to resort to their tactics. If I ever had to use SJW tactics to support a belief I held I would hold that belief in great suspicion.

I feel sorry for them in a way. It must be horrible to live in a world you think is always against you. To have to think everyone who disagrees with you must validate your claims. To have to make up imaginary enemies to justify your behavior and use childish rhetoric such as 'allies' or 'with us or against us' to pretend it is all some big important war going on. To lack the cognitive abilities to identify the flaws in how they believe must be like living in a mental prison.
Interesting analysis; good insights. Thanks.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

There are many reasons. The first is that she doesn't need to do it. She's famous and she deliberately pissed off thousands of gamers with her propaganda about games being, essentially, a rape manual. If you work hard to upset a large number of people it's very likely that at least one of them is going to react in a stupid, unethical way.

There are plenty of frustrated idiots with psychological issues on the Internet. Even David Futrelle, sleazy as he is, has no problem cherry picking the worst of the worst from a community based on frustration (the MRA) to keep his "satire" blog going.

Was Sarkeesian surprised by the threats? I really don't think so. Was she expecting them? It's very likely she did. Did she write it herself? There was no need for her to plan a false flag operation when all she had to do was to wait.

The second reason while I doubt she's guilty of writing those threats is that she's shown she's clever and socially aware enough to manipulate the gaming industry and many celebrities into supporting her views. We're not talking about PZ Myers, an overweight underachiever with a tentacle porn fetish, or about his Horde of assorted mental cases.

Sarkeesian knows how to talk, dress and act to get people's attention and respect. She has co-opted the language and the body language of the successful elite. She always looks ready to show up on Oprah, or the Larry King show.

False flag operations can easily blow up to your face. They work well when you either have the resources to pull them off successfully or youìre already powerful enough not to care about the backlash. Naive 16 year old girls, or socially maladjusted 30 year old men, may well believe they're doing the world a favor if they try to smear 4chan with fake threats. Sarkeesian is far too smart and sane for that.

If you argued that one of her rabid fans faked the "Kevin Dobson" threat, I might well believe you. A smart, successful con artist like Sarkeesian is unlikely to put her entire con in jeopardy with such a stupid and risky move.

The third reason why I think she didn't send the threats herself (or explicitly asked someone else to do so on her behalf) is that law enforcement already has a promising line of investigations. The FBI is convinced that the letter sent to the University of Utah is the work of a serial harasser, who might or might not be motivated by misogyny, but has sent threats before to other targets.

Many frustrated, mentally ill people send death threats, even detailed ones, to pretty much any famous public figure. Death threats are a dime a dozen. Of course Sarkeesian is milking them for all their worth and claiming she's a special endangered snowflake.

There's a also a fourth reason. If Sarkeesian was behind the threats, she wouldn't have gotten the FBI involved in this mess. She may be smug, but she's not suicidally overconfident.

People who try to fake attacks against themselves or their place of work (for example for insurance reasons) may call the overworked and underpaid local police, but they rarely clamor to get the attention of a federal agency with the resources, the manpower and the technical skills to actually solve the case.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

I think the odds that someone on the anti-gamergate side are behind threats made against Anita and her friends is almost 100%.

It may not be Anita herself, but every time anyone with the access starts digging, what we find is that these SJW loons love to fake attacks against themselves in order to trigger the male white knight instinct and steamroll dissent.

There are all kinds of public records examples of this regarding tumblr feminists. Some were even in the news. Just look up "feminist sent threats to herself."

Even on 8chan, any poster who says anything derogatory about a specific SJW fake victim feminist gets dogpiled by the other anons and accused of being a shill feminist trying to drum up a nice screencap.

You'll never hear about the 100 times anons tell a shill to fuck off. You'll only hear about the ONE time some idiots take the bait and start saying stupid shit.

Meanwhile, any harassment, doxxing, rape threats, death threats, attempts to get people fired, etc directed at gamergate-supporting women and minorities will be forever unreported.

OH WELL.

My bag of fucks is empty today.

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

jet_lagg wrote:So, this is interesting.

The guy was doxxed over gamergate, and managed to track down the perpetrator. It was a 16 year old girl who started crying and said she did it because she "just wanted to be a good feminist". The guy's impression was that she really was a decent kid, just impressionable and influenced by a very dangerous ideology.
Well I think at this point the old adage "there are no girls on the internet" should be replaced with "everyone on the internet is a 16 year old girl" since most of the people on it seem to act that way.

Also I don't think Feminism is a dangerous ideology, it's just a bunch of ideas. However I do think ideologues can be very dangerous.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

JackSkeptic wrote:I'm not sure where he is going with it. I think he has a plan
I think Michael's game plan is to hold pz accountable for the shit that he says, in broad daylight, and not let him squirm away from it.

Richard Dworkins

Kirbmarc wrote:Who wants to help me to start a twitter trend? It's called "real feminists against poser SJWs". It's a half-serious, half tongue in cheek attempt to pit people who want real equality against the SJW. I'm starting to call the SJWs "fake feminists", especially the ones who care about the "Islamophobia" bullshit.
I think you'd get more traction by being more ideologically pure than they.
"Islam is a patriarchy. Why do you hate women of colour?"
"College educated social critics: Check your fucking privilege!!"
"The standard you walk past is the standard you accept: Report your rape or you're a rape enabler"
"Anita Sarkeesian's a gamer, she's part of the problem."
"Feminism is about women's choices, telling a women she's anti-feminist because she disagrees with you makes you part of the problem"
"Feminists don't dox, especially not women"

That sort of thing.

feathers

Post by feathers »

Richard Dworkins wrote:Well I think at this point the old adage "there are no girls on the internet" should be replaced with "everyone on the internet is a 16 year old girl" since most of the people on it seem to act that way.
I know I'm one! I use it to try Clarence in the chatroom to show her tits.

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

Kirbmarc:
I've begun calling them "Pop Feminists", as a play on "Popular Culture". Strongly disagree with "Sarkeesian's a gamer" by the way Richard Dworkins.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

OK I have officially lost all sympathy for A Voice for Men. Paul Elam put his video up about the Sarkeesian threat. There is a common theme amongst commenters. The audio is fucking shit. Now I bought this up along with a few others. My comment comes a little into the conversation where I basically say look the audio is crap stop whining and accept the fact.
Martin Scott 18 hours ago

+Paul Elam Look. Take constructive criticism. If there is a reason it had to be done this way then just explain it. Stop being a snarky little cunt and acting as if every is your enemy. to listen to this i had to keep switching earphones when each person was talking since I am at work. Having read why the audio is the way it is I understand the reasons but for the love of fuck why did you not just say that to begin with like and reasonable adult. 
(And yes PZ have just Doxxed myself so you can fuck right off if you think that you can scare me by doing so)

Pauls responce to this was
Paul Elam13 hours ago

+Martin Scott Look, go fuck yourself. I don't know if you have been keeping up with current events, Sherlock, but I am no stranger to criticism. That does not make this channel a jukebox or an entertainment outfit.

As for me, what you see is what you get. Don't like it? Tough shit. I'd consider myself lucky if 1% of the men that comment on these videos are activists. The fact is looking for half that much would be a pipe dream.

And I don't mind saying, activists are the only opinions that have real weight with me. Everyone else is K-mart shoppers. Do what I do for years on end, listening to motherfuckers who don't do shit complain because the font size on articles is too this or that, and you will have the same exact attitude. Bet.

Oh, and if someone is not doing shit I am fine with that. I hope they enjoy the channel and the work AVFM does on their behalf. But that also cuts down (erases) any interest I have in treating those people like they are fellow activists or paying customers.

Finally, and for the last time, I listened to this on a standard laptop and got most every word on both sides of the conversation. That works for me, unless you are volunteering to be on standby to edit and enhance sound tracks according to the needs of my schedule. 

Seriously why the fuck is he crying like I am some Feminist troll. Fucks sake. I merely commented on the audio and he went off the rails. I was never sure where I stood with AVfM but now I am fairly sure that they are no better than the feminists the fight against. I want nothing to do with Paul or AVfM. I refuse to be associated with them in any way

Richard Dworkins

Opyt wrote:Kirbmarc:
I've begun calling them "Pop Feminists", as a play on "Popular Culture". Strongly disagree with "Sarkeesian's a gamer" by the way Richard Dworkins.
Yes, I know she's not however their narrative is that she is. I am well aware she's a con-artist and that her "critiques" make a mockery of both gaming and criticism.

Raise your game.

Richard Dworkins

Konrad_Cruze wrote:OK I have officially lost all sympathy for A Voice for Men. Paul Elam put his video up about the Sarkeesian threat. There is a common theme amongst commenters. The audio is fucking shit. Now I bought this up along with a few others. My comment comes a little into the conversation where I basically say look the audio is crap stop whining and accept the fact.
Martin Scott 18 hours ago

+Paul Elam Look. Take constructive criticism. If there is a reason it had to be done this way then just explain it. Stop being a snarky little cunt and acting as if every is your enemy. to listen to this i had to keep switching earphones when each person was talking since I am at work. Having read why the audio is the way it is I understand the reasons but for the love of fuck why did you not just say that to begin with like and reasonable adult. 
(And yes PZ have just Doxxed myself so you can fuck right off if you think that you can scare me by doing so)

Pauls responce to this was
Paul Elam13 hours ago

+Martin Scott Look, go fuck yourself. I don't know if you have been keeping up with current events, Sherlock, but I am no stranger to criticism. That does not make this channel a jukebox or an entertainment outfit.

As for me, what you see is what you get. Don't like it? Tough shit. I'd consider myself lucky if 1% of the men that comment on these videos are activists. The fact is looking for half that much would be a pipe dream.

And I don't mind saying, activists are the only opinions that have real weight with me. Everyone else is K-mart shoppers. Do what I do for years on end, listening to motherfuckers who don't do shit complain because the font size on articles is too this or that, and you will have the same exact attitude. Bet.

Oh, and if someone is not doing shit I am fine with that. I hope they enjoy the channel and the work AVFM does on their behalf. But that also cuts down (erases) any interest I have in treating those people like they are fellow activists or paying customers.

Finally, and for the last time, I listened to this on a standard laptop and got most every word on both sides of the conversation. That works for me, unless you are volunteering to be on standby to edit and enhance sound tracks according to the needs of my schedule. 

Seriously why the fuck is he crying like I am some Feminist troll. Fucks sake. I merely commented on the audio and he went off the rails. I was never sure where I stood with AVfM but now I am fairly sure that they are no better than the feminists the fight against. I want nothing to do with Paul or AVfM. I refuse to be associated with them in any way
They are what they fight against, just as the victim-feminists are what they fight against. Obnoxious pricks who see a world full of obnoxious pricks and will do anything to change that except look in the god-damned mirror.

Richard Dworkins

feathers wrote:
Richard Dworkins wrote:Well I think at this point the old adage "there are no girls on the internet" should be replaced with "everyone on the internet is a 16 year old girl" since most of the people on it seem to act that way.
I know I'm one! I use it to try Clarence in the chatroom to show her tits.
That made me laugh.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:
They are what they fight against, just as the victim-feminists are what they fight against. Obnoxious pricks who see a world full of obnoxious pricks and will do anything to change that except look in the god-damned mirror.
Hah. Another Little Paul situation.

This is the MRA who thinks the big winning strategy for MRAs is for them to campaign on the notion that men are victims too.

Oh yeah, that'll go over well.

And before y'all jump down my throat, what I mean is that fundamentally, men see women as victims, and women see women as victims. The male white knight instinct is a lot stronger than the feeble resistance AVfM can put up against it. I actually respect Dr. Tara Palmatier on the basis of advice she has given on the Going Mental segments, so I hope if she's reading this (hey, you never know) she'll concede my point that you aren't going to get equal rights for men (IMO) by shilling a male victim narrative.

But none of this has anything to do with Konrad's point, which is that yes, there are some twitchy, knee-jerk ideologues out there. Molyneux is the same way. The mildest criticism of these types sends them to Defcon 1.

Trolling is the solution. 8-)

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
PTSD = pugs tweet stupidity daily?

ps. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Preposterous Twat Suffering Delusions

Søren Lilholt

Post by Søren Lilholt »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
JayTeeAitch wrote:
jet_lagg wrote:The audio on this thing is intolerable, but I gather a university rep says the threat to Sarkeesian wasn't real.

[youtube]igpfbZ81zcU&feature=youtu.be&a[/youtube]

They have an official statement up on their website which backs that up. The threat was taken seriously. The FBI Cyber Terrorism Task Force was involved (ideally they catch the asshole), and additional security measures were put into place for the event. They couldn't legally prevent licensed firearm owners from carrying their weapons, so Sarkeesian's (and everyone elses) complaint boiled down to the fact that the police refused to break the law.
No, the FBI's expert analysts didn't think there was a real threat of an attack. That is, whoever wrote the threat had no intention of carrying out the things described in it. They also are confident that one person is behind all the threats. So it couldn't be a UU student.

I think Anita is going to regret dragging the FBI into this. They are now obliged to pursue this thoroughly, and there are some odd inconsistencies with the "Kevin Dobson" screencap that started it all. Anita Sarkeesian is a con artist; I hope she gets kicked in the con.
But the FBI is a tool of the patriarchy! She will play this out like a violin concerto.
You can cry wolf only so many times.

But of course, by the time Sarkeesian's web of lies is fully exposed, she'll be sunning herself in the Carribean. :x

didymos

Post by didymos »

Re: Bayonetta, it was basically just some butthurt tweeting. Some samples:
Jonboy especially went on and on about it, and attempted to school the poor ignorant masses of twitter about feminism and media analysis. Not embedding all that shit, but suffice to say, his approach to education consisted of mocking and blocking anyone who didn't comply with his requests. This is ironic, because Bayonetta actually isn't a textbook example of "the male gaze", because she's not a passive film character who's just there solely as eyecandy. Though she's definitely sexualised. It's kind of her thing:

http://gamersbench.com/wp-content/uploa ... onetta.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/thcynIk.jpg

The games do it to the point of parody, and at times she even acts like she knows a camera is there.

Anyway, he finally shut up about it after posting this:
Of course, that's not so much the game having a cultural impact as someone just deciding to mess with the condescending dick lecturing people about their heterosexist, patriarchal badthink on Twitter.

And here's the lone article of which they approved:

http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/13/69576 ... view-wii-u

For a little context, Bayonetta's character designer is a woman. A woman of color no less:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_KCq7KItblAU/T ... c845c3.jpg

Jon and Anita should really shut up, listen, and peform fifty checkings of the privilege. :dance:

didymos

Post by didymos »

perform

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

Strongly doubt the threat was engineered by Sarkeesian. It would be very risky, since cybercrime can often be tracked to the source. And it would end her career instantly.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I still don't understand how we came to live in a world that now considers liking the opposite sex's attractiveness a bad thing.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

"The male gaze". WTF?!?

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

I'm with you Hunt, but I'm not going to put it past someone being stupid enough to try and boost her career by doing it.

AVfM pointed out that it's a composite sketch of the ideal representative of "Jotun's Law" (Take the bottom subset of "the worst" subset, and apply views to everyone) in regards to the MHRM doohickey. Right down to the referencing of Rodgers and Lepine. Two of the "poster children" for how the Pop Feminists view any and every MRA/MRA Sympathizer. Was it a hoax? Probably. It would certainly be interesting to see if the FBI will identify the culprit, and whether or not "the charges will be dropped" by Sark & McUphisass

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Right. then they maybe can investigate the episode of Benson not going to a con because of a "threat", which was actually just a stupid fear-mongering mail sent by one of her fans.