Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
didymos

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by didymos »

Well, I had this productive exchange today on twitter:

I suspect he thinks he was the victorious party, but he just didn't give me a good straight line the second time. Either that or he actually reconsidered the "goose" part, which would be hilariously awesome. In any case, it's clear that social media are truly changing the world.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Nec_V20 wrote:I lost the rag the day before yesterday.

I thought I was getting the hang of the place when someone did a reducto ad hitlerium. On something like Faux News or the SJW crowd you would expect that like about twenty times a day, but I thought more highly of the Slymepit and thought you guys would be beyond that.

I had already had a dust up with my friend Jim who had come around and started of with his bogus comparisons to Hitler.

So I took a day off to calm down.
Don't worry about it. The humour here goes from the silly to the absurd at times and it is often hard to get exactly what is being meant or the tone of what is being said. The only advice I can suggest is to assume the best, not the worst. There is no harm ignoring someone's comments too. Oh and people love to troll those who can take it as it can be fun. Steersman, for example, has been trolled mercilessly but he takes it in good spirit. Boring people like me never get trolled so consider it a privilege.

dogen

Post by dogen »

John D wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
dogen wrote: Now, back to the matter at hand, Pitters: T-34/85 or Panther?
Panther hands down. Better than them all.

I read somewhere some historian describing the Panther as the best tank in the world ... until the mid 1950's.
T-34 was a remarkable machine. Best of the war. But, I am a big fan of the Sherman... haha... let the games begin!
I propose to settle this with a Pit server running Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. Any takers?

didymos

Re: anál nathrach orth’ bháis’s bethad do chél dénmha

Post by didymos »

Yes, and be prepared to weep bitter tears when the ACLU defends them in court and wins. In the unlikely event any law enforcement agency is dumb enough to implement your idiotic idea, of course.

dogen

Post by dogen »

BarnOwl wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
I adore my Broil-Mate grill -- just a two-burner but gets real hot and an even heat. Made in Canada but priced lower than the lowest, chinese-made Webers. I BBQ year-round and will do almost anything on the grill, even pizza.

I find Steven Raichlin's How to Grill a very useful cookbook. His rubs are a bit too spicy for me, but his techniques work perfectly. He's gotta be an Aspie, the way he's figured out the details.

It's from Steve that I got the tip for roasting corn without the husks, slathered in garlic-parsley butter. Sublime.

P.S. Alice Waters is a cunt.
Mine's just a simple two-burner grill, and I thought it was pretty easy to use and cook the steak to my liking. Part of the impetus for buying it this week is that my truck is going away tomorrow, and it would be awkward to transport the pre-assembled grill in my Honda. I roasted the corn with the husks on - was kind of afraid that they might catch fire, so I spritzed some water on them. I got a special rack for roasting stuffed jalapeños at the grocery store the other day, because ... Texan. Plus I have a lot of jalapeños in my garden at the moment, again because ... Texan.
Soak corn (husks and all) in water for 2-3 hours. Peel back husks (do not remove), strip silk, slather in butter/garlic/pesto/swarfega, close up husks and wire shut using non-galvanized wire. Grill for 20 mins, enjoy.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Jan Steen wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Carrier?
Yup. FTB's own supergenius Dr. Richard Carrier PhD whose "avid readers span the world from Hong Kong to Poland [according to Carrier]."

http://web.archive.org/web/201410172321 ... hives/6611
Why are so many at FtB one dimensional living cliches? They are so easy to take the fun of it is like taking frogs from France. Or something like that.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

another lurker wrote:Flanks for the skanks
Glutes for the slutes
Cuts for the sluts
Flanks for the skanks
Curls for the girls
Rows for the hoes
Over head press to make girls undress
Mass for the ass
Quads for the gods
Shrugs for the jugs
Squats for the twats
Pecs for the sex
Clean and jerks for friends with perks
Benches get the wenches
Weighted dips for the erect nips

http://i.imgur.com/lbUJLhL.png

didymos

Post by didymos »

Why are they all so full of themselves?
Fuck you, lady. Women have been in the game industry for quite a long while. If you glance down, you may notice that you're standing on some coattails.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

JackSkeptic wrote:

I thought I was getting the hang of the place when someone did a reducto ad hitlerium. On something like Faux News or the SJW crowd you would expect that like about twenty times a day, but I thought more highly of the Slymepit and thought you guys would be beyond that.

I had already had a dust up with my friend Jim who had come around and started of with his bogus comparisons to Hitler.

Don't worry about it. The humour here goes from the silly to the absurd at times and it is often hard to get exactly what is being meant or the tone of what is being said. The only advice I can suggest is to assume the best, not the worst. There is no harm ignoring someone's comments too. Oh and people love to troll those who can take it as it can be fun. Steersman, for example, has been trolled mercilessly but he takes it in good spirit. Boring people like me never get trolled so consider it a privilege.
http://media.tumblr.com/44c8f15aec8595c ... rkg7ly.gif

Opyt

Post by Opyt »

didymos:
I don't know why exactly. I am getting nervous though, because now both Who & Wu are talking about how great next week will be, using the same words. I suspect they've gotten a few big names behind them that will say "Do it, or we'll wreck all your hardware." or some such extortion, which would only serve to further anger folks. They might even surprise everyone and get San Fransisco to secede from the union and demand extradition for e-Rape, wherein disagreeing with a human that identifies as female over anything constitutes something worse than rape threats.

- HOLY SHIT ... a gathering darkness... it's like SF is the Mordor of the United States. One cause to rule them all, one cause to gather them together, and in the darkness BIND them!

I wonder if we can get a petition going to change the name of SF to Mordor.

didymos

Post by didymos »

I really dislike this tactic. Very, very few people have real power in this world, even if they are part of a privileged demographic. It's also the sort of thinking that leads to empty displays of one's purity and factional infighting.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

dogen wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Let's be fair: there is white privilege. Not always, especially not on an individual scale, but there is.
Right there, you've hit the nail on the head -- deliberately or not. The concept of privilege only makes sense at a collective scale -- but SJWs invariably deploy it at the individual scale. It is precisely this conflation of collective vs individual which marks the transition from possibly-useful concept over to weaponized ideology.
They apply that to all concepts and explains the vast majority of their behavior (such as why and method of Nugent being attacked) It is why they are considered black and white thinkers incapable of any nuance or subtlety. All the tedious memes they use, such as patriarchy or axis of oppression, is geared towards supporting this thinking. As human relations are highly complex this alone leads to the conclusion they must necessarily be wrong in most of the things they say unless they are right by accident.

Some whites are racist so all whites are racist
Some men are sexist so all men are sexist
Some men are rapists so all men are rapists
Some people troll so all people are trolls
Some people give online threats so everyone would give or supports online threats
Some games may be considered sexist so all games are considered sexist

It goes on and on. They also do the mutually exclusive trick. If they are not in the group they are generalising about they can't possibly have any bad quality they assert that group has, because 'reasons'. So in the world of the SJW they can't be racist, sexist or a troll.

It is pseudo intellectual woo that can only appeal to the arrogant, the ignorant, the emotionally damaged and the egoists. A perfect environment for people to exploit too. So many gullible people easily lead and the internet is the perfect vehicle to spread their inane utterances to as many fools as possible.

BaconNutellaFiend

Post by BaconNutellaFiend »

Parody Accountant wrote:grape jokes are never funny
[youtube]mqgiEQXGetI[/youtube]

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

bovarchist wrote:
Tribble wrote:
[youtube]HJTG6RRN4E[/youtube]

[youtube]p8xhUURG_RA[/youtube]

And there's plenty more -- dogs, cats, elephants... YouTube is full of those things.
I'm pretty sure the dog was just hoarding food.
The dog didn't save the kittens and bring them out of the fire. He just stayed back with the kittens. Also, there is no mention of the mother of the newborn kittens. I am assuming that cat got the heck out of dodge.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Opyt wrote:didymos:
I don't know why exactly. I am getting nervous though, because now both Who & Wu are talking about how great next week will be, using the same words. I suspect they've gotten a few big names behind them that will say "Do it, or we'll wreck all your hardware." or some such extortion, which would only serve to further anger folks.
Well, the fact is, #gamergate has lost the PR war. Anita's getting national-level news coverage, both on TV and in print (cf. that Rolling Stone piece, and the New York Times), and it's all entirely biased in her favor. Also, a lot of the gaming publications are now putting out pieces distancing themselves from the phenomenon. The big news pieces are especially important, because that's all Joe and Jane Average will probably ever know about it.

Not that people will do the smart thing and ditch the "gamergate" label, because humans love them some Sunk Cost Fallacy.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Sir Mark Richardson @mricho61

@noelplum Have finally given up defending pzmyers as being on the rational side - the last straw is his smearing of @micknugent Very sad.

7:46 PM - 17 Oct 2014

Parody Accountant

Post by Parody Accountant »

Psychic Drawings. Guess what was on her mind?

[youtube]NNfa_KiVlOs[/youtube]

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

John D wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
dogen wrote: Now, back to the matter at hand, Pitters: T-34/85 or Panther?
Panther hands down. Better than them all.

I read somewhere some historian describing the Panther as the best tank in the world ... until the mid 1950's.
T-34 was a remarkable machine. Best of the war. But, I am a big fan of the Sherman... haha... let the games begin!
Well, I had a great Sherman this morning when the missus was out at the gym...

Guestus Aurelius

Post by Guestus Aurelius »

dogen wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Let's be fair: there is white privilege. Not always, especially not on an individual scale, but there is.
Right there, you've hit the nail on the head -- deliberately or not. The concept of privilege only makes sense at a collective scale -- but SJWs invariably deploy it at the individual scale. It is precisely this conflation of collective vs individual which marks the transition from possibly-useful concept over to weaponized ideology.
Yep. I almost made essentially the same response to that part of Phil's post earlier today, but got sidetracked by something else. I was going to compare privilege to statistical mechanics. Couldn't find quite the right way to make the comparison.

didymos

Post by didymos »

We need a good "SJW" replacement. This piece is fucking dumb as hell, but it demonstrates the problem:

http://www.josephscrimshaw.com/2014/10/ ... sult-ever/

The target of an insult should feel insulted, and "SJW" just isn't functioning properly in that respect anymore.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

didymos wrote:We need a good "SJW" replacement. This piece is fucking dumb as hell, but it demonstrates the problem:

The target of an insult should feel insulted, and "SJW" just isn't functioning properly in that respect anymore.
Trust me, they feel insulted. No matter how much they doth protest that they don't.

I'm sticking with SJW. Or maybe neo-McCarthyites.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

didymos wrote:We need a good "SJW" replacement. This piece is fucking dumb as hell, but it demonstrates the problem:
I don't call people Social Justice Warriors to insult them. In fact I am extremely happy they don't find the term to be an insult. What it does for us is to help readily identify a type of person with a set of characteristics that we all understand. It is a verbal short cut.

We can't just run around bitching about feminists. Because there are quite a few good feminists still out there, not just equity feminists, who act and think rationally and with honor. I prefer not to lump all feminists together. It gets sloppy and alienates the good ones.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Don't think they should ditch #gamergate. I've met a bunch of great women through it (it really has only been women tbh). It's really positive once the "I HATE GAMERGATE" people die down (they wax and wane in their dramedy).

I feel like the fight for skepticism might actually have been, um, won at this point. And I don't want to be all GWB and be like WINNARS, HOIST THE FLAG, but ... it kinda feels that the SJW are retreating from skepticism. Because they're embarrassing.

The gamergate reaction was MUCH bigger than the atheist reaction ever was.

The science fiction reaction was fucking non existent.

My prediction is that gamergate goes long, goes hard, and gets itself resolved much earlier than the skepticism movement did.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Why not just call them 'bad feminists'?

Avalyne

Re: anál nathrach orth’ bháis’s bethad do chél dénmha

Post by Avalyne »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:http://31.media.tumblr.com/e9fdb40ce967 ... 1_1280.png

Oh, sweetie, you need to put more effort into your charms ...

[youtube]rGzA78r-Og0[/youtube]
Ahhh.... memory lane! ^^The first (and only) movie I watched more than 10 times. I'm embarrassed to admit I could probably still recite the Charm of Making in my freakin' sleep. First time I saw it was at my aunt's house, using this really amazing new machine called a VCR. My aunt made me leave the room during the sex scene. :shock:

didymos

Post by didymos »

Gee, that doesn't apply to the social justice crowd at all:

Spike13

Post by Spike13 »

didymos wrote:Why are they all so full of themselves?
Fuck you, lady. Women have been in the game industry for quite a long while. If you glance down, you may notice that you're standing on some coattails.
I don"t think she knows what Pyrrhic actually means
costly to the point of outweighing any benefits.
pretty much translates into :you were better off not getting into this shit in the first place.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

whoever linked that slate star codex article is fucking great and I love you

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

dogen wrote: I propose to settle this with a Pit server running Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. Any takers?
Yeah. How's that work?

James Caruthers

[youtube]eeEWPbTad_Q[/youtube]

Maybe the SJW are simply the next ruling class, being groomed. The sane ones, I mean.

They've mastered media spin.

Can you imagine? How much shittier can the world even get? But just imagine if Peezus Christ was the ruler of a country. Take all of the media authority and monitoring systems, take all the data mining, satellite spying and drones, and put them in PZ's hands.

But he's too old. He remembers a time before Facebook.

Put the country in Chanty's hands. Or Hensley's.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

I've always said that "Social Justice Warrior" isn't a good political insult. Since many of them are hipsters, calling them "posers" or "fake feminists" would probably rile them up. Especially if you showing everyone that they only care about petty, unimportant bullshit while they ignore more serious issues. However the word "posers" has far too many meanings to be really effective.

"Slackactivists " makes them scowl at you, but sounds silly. "FemiNazi" would work well if that wanker Rush Limbaugh hadn't used it first (sometimes appropriately, sometimes not). "FTBullies" is great, but only works against PZ and his horde.

didymos

Post by didymos »

Wait...I thought this sort of thing didn't happen to men.
Your dad sounds pretty sensible, actually, though I get the impression you're not quite relaying his reaction verbatim. Just a hunch. Also, isn't "dad" awfully patriarchal? You need to work on that, Mr. McIntosh.

James Caruthers

didymos wrote: Wait...I thought this sort of thing didn't happen to men.
Your dad sounds pretty sensible, actually, though I get the impression you're not quite relaying his reaction verbatim. Just a hunch. Also, isn't "dad" awfully patriarchal? You need to work on that, Mr. McIntosh.
SEEMS LEGIT

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Put the country in Chanty's hands. Or Hensley's
"And in other news, President Binx has commented on the recent Chinese invasion of Taiwan, calling the Chinese leader "a bunch of entitled, old males who need to SHUT THE FUCK UP". Vicepresident Hensley was unfortunately unable to comment from her padded cell in the Twitter PTSD Recovery Center in Otherkintown, State of Poodle (formerly Seattle, Washington). We wish to her the best. However, Secretary of State Park called the President's reaction "horribly racist" and assured the press that no military or diplomatic action will be taken against the People's Republic of China.

Meanwhile, Anita Sarkeesian, the president of CBS, NBC,PBS, Fox, ABC, HBO, AMC and The Hallmark Channel, has announced a new policy which will require every female character to wear a niqab in order to "avoid sexualization and male gaze". However, talk show host Taslima Nasreen has declared the move "cultural appropriation" and has threatened to start a campaign to "cancel every TV show" if her demands for more Muslim PoC transgender genderqueer fat activists freebleeder main characters aren't met.

Warning: the following piece of news may trigger you for its highly sexist content.

Yesterday thirteen fake male feminists have been outed and sentenced to six years at Correctional Center for Socially Impaired in San Francisco, State of Trans. The offenders were found in possessions of sexual objectifying material that depicted cis women posing for the camera in a bikini. Warden Zinna Jones promises that the fake allies will be reeducated as soon as "xe gets to shove xir girlcock up their asses".

And that's all for tonight. Be sure to stay with us for "America's Funniest Allies" which today will show a selection of unprivileged citizens punching up a few clueless straight white cis male allies, all for your viewing pleasure."

Richard Dworkins

Post by Richard Dworkins »

Femintologists.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

I left this deliberate tour de force at Nugent's.
PZ Myers will not apologize, because he would in effect be admitting that he was a ranting loon. He would lose face in the eyes of his Flock. Sure, it would also give him the chance to show to everyone else that he might still be a halfway decent human being, but that is irrelevant to him. Those who are not with him are against him anyway.

There is however a way out for him. He just has to say that when he wrote “rapists” he actually meant “Schrödinger’s rapists”.

You have probably heard this term before; it’s a standard piece of PoMo feminist dogma. Sadly, even feminists don’t always know their Feminism 101, so a short explanation about Schrödinger’s rapist may be in order. You see, every man can be imagined as living inside an invisible box. Moreover, as we have learned from former FTB blogger Greg Laden, every man has a rape switch. Now, due to radioactive decay, which is a process governed by the rules of Quantum Mechanics, the switch may be on or off. Therefore, as long as the man is inside his box, he is in two superimposed states: in one state he is a rapist, in the other he isn’t. Only when a woman directly interacts with a man does she open the box; the wave function will collapse and she will learn whether his rape switch was on or off. Evidently, the only way to find this out is when (a) the man tries to rape her; or (b) when the man or woman departs and the interaction terminates without the occurrence of a rape. Up until the moment of departure it would be safest to assume that the switch is in the “on” position.

This magnificent theory is one of the most brilliant intellectual achievements of PoMo feminism, and it now gives Peezus an easy way out of his dilemma.

But he will always remain Schrödinger’s asshole.
http://www.michaelnugent.com/2014/10/17 ... nt-1106295

paddybrown

Post by paddybrown »

rayshul wrote:whoever linked that slate star codex article is fucking great and I love you
Yep. It's brilliant. Although I tried to read the comments and all the early ones at least seem to be arguing about whether the Republicans are to blame for ISIS or not, so a certain amount of point seems to have been missed.

His previous one, I Can Tolerate Anything Except the Outgroup, is also very good.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

James Caruthers wrote:
didymos wrote: Wait...I thought this sort of thing didn't happen to men.
SEEMS LEGIT
This is what confuses me, why do these people think they can win? At the end of the day this is a consumer revolt and the people with the power are the ones with the money, ie the gamers. Is this the secular equivalent of "if we have god on our side we can't be defeated"?

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

rayshul wrote:I feel like the fight for skepticism might actually have been, um, won at this point. And I don't want to be all GWB and be like WINNARS, HOIST THE FLAG, but ... it kinda feels that the SJW are retreating from skepticism. Because they're embarrassing.
The SJWers are retreating from skepticism because they (who is they? themselves? SJWers? skeptics?) are embarrassing?

From my perspective, I don't think the core SJWer crowd has given up. I think they just have burnt a hell of a lot of bridges in front of enough average people that the middle grounders are no longer willing to give them a pass or provide them with lip service.

But they have taken their chunck:
* Skepticon is pretty much still a SJWer event first and a skeptic event last.
* Melody is still an executive director of the DC CFI
* Melody still gets to run her own personally selected Women in Skeptics event for her in crowd.
* pz still rants & raves slander, defamation & libel at any big name skeptic who doesn't lick his boots... which is pretty much all of them.
* Rebecca is now pulling in a few g's a month via her patreon account & fluffs it back up every 4-6 months by claiming harassment.
* Stephanie has raised her profile enough to get invited to speaking events, despite her only claim to fame being a primary instigator of some of the worse abuses of her crowd.
* Clay jewelry girl is trying to start her own club in LA so she has her own personal power base which she hopes will turn into a money base to pay her to "make her art."
* I could be wrong, but I suspect that donations as major skeptic-atheist groups are down all the way around.
* I would pretty much bet Silverman will eagerly come wagging his tail and licking the boots of anyone who yells feminism despite whatever fucked up words they are trying to promote.
* It is still extremely sad to see that Ophelia Benson is just a shell of her former self, assuming she had any talent to begin with. I recall some people had spoken favorably of her prior work, and they had noted she had not gone off the deep end.
* pz & the freethoughblogs crowd always stand at the ready to dox people and call their employers if they disagree.

Yes, some people have been chewed up and spit out by the SJWer crowd, and that has shrunk their active base.

I guess what has changed is that some of the big name atheist/skeptics are speaking up. A large chunck of the middle ground won't accept their bullshit at face value anymore (maybe?). The public at large, or at least the gamer contingent have been immunized to the SJWer articles due to their own troubles with them. Reddit users generally hate SRS anyway.
rayshul wrote:The gamergate reaction was MUCH bigger than the atheist reaction ever was.
The science fiction reaction was fucking non existent.
My prediction is that gamergate goes long, goes hard, and gets itself resolved much earlier than the skepticism movement did.
Gamergate isn't going to get resolved by itself. It is still going to take SJWers doing what they have always been doing, fucking with other crowds trying to push their idealogy before people get pissed off enough that they just stop accepting what SJWers say at face value.

However one negative take on all of this is to understand that SJWers going down is not an assured end result. Look what happened and is still happening to Sweden. Hell, look at China. Mandatory reeducation. Family rats on family. Neighbors rat on neighbors. Forbidden words. Censored media. Jailed dissidents. Hong Kong will go down eventually.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

In fact the only people who can win gamergate are gamers. Because even if SJWs get their way and all the game developers produce SJW friendly games gamers can still not buy them.

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

JackSkeptic wrote:

Just reading the name JackSkeptic already makes me yawn.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Richard Dworkins wrote:
Femintologists.
I think they are a lot more like the modern day version of revivalist pastors.

They skip from group to group trying to sucker enough people into following them and giving them money. They preach to them about being saved by feminism despite having been brainwashed by the patriarchy...

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Pagancat wrote:In fact the only people who can win gamergate are gamers. Because even if SJWs get their way and all the game developers produce SJW friendly games gamers can still not buy them.
Exactly. A hit to the wallet is a very good way to get companies to change their minds regarding SJW issues. In time, they will learn (if they ever decide to go the SJW way).

Jan Steen
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Jan Steen »

JackSkeptic wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Carrier?
Yup. FTB's own supergenius Dr. Richard Carrier PhD whose "avid readers span the world from Hong Kong to Poland [according to Carrier]."

Why are so many at FtB one dimensional living cliches? They are so easy to take the fun of it is like taking frogs from France. Or something like that.

When a normal person would say "my avid readers span the world from Hong Kong to Poland," you would know that he or she was being ironic. It would be comical exaggeration, amusing immodesty. When Carrier says it you know he is being serious. It's actually rather sad, like when you see a delusional person acting according to their delusion.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Pagancat wrote:This is what confuses me, why do these people think they can win? At the end of the day this is a consumer revolt and the people with the power are the ones with the money, ie the gamers. Is this the secular equivalent of "if we have god on our side we can't be defeated"?
He has already won. His girlfriend has racked in $160k from threats. Plus speaking engagements. Plus earnings for writing articles. Plus Youtube ad views. A "consulting" position advising a game company on how to make a good game (or at least get Anita not to disparage the game). And who else knows how else she might be making money.
Twitter Profile wrote:Jonathan McIntosh
@radicalbytes
Transformative media maker. Pop culture critic. Producer and a writer on the Tropes vs Women in Video Games YouTube series.
He is the man that laid the golden goose, and know all he has to do is keep on churning out the bullshit.

didymos

Post by didymos »

The consulting thing is actually a myth. What really happened was that she was invited to give a speech at an internal, studio event. It was a one-off thing.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Apples

Post by Apples »

She may be right - does she know what pyrrhic actually means?

Apples

Post by Apples »

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/891/8184508411.png

LOL Dick Handbag's use of "it's" in that paragraph is a real tour de force.

Apples

Post by Apples »

dogen wrote:
another lurker wrote:Animals are different from us in degree, not kind.
Too true. I have a PhD in Astrophysics, whereas my cat Winston only has a bachelor's in Comparative Facesitting.
beautifully done

another lurker wrote:Flanks for the skanks
:clap:

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Hey Dick C.! The Middle Ages happened in Europe. Stop appropriating my culture!

Yes, that was very stupid.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Apples wrote:http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/891/8184508411.png

To be fair its an easy error to make.

Pagancat

Post by Pagancat »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Pagancat wrote:This is what confuses me, why do these people think they can win? At the end of the day this is a consumer revolt and the people with the power are the ones with the money, ie the gamers. Is this the secular equivalent of "if we have god on our side we can't be defeated"?
He has already won. His girlfriend has racked in $160k from threats. Plus speaking engagements. Plus earnings for writing articles. Plus Youtube ad views. A "consulting" position advising a game company on how to make a good game (or at least get Anita not to disparage the game). And who else knows how else she might be making money.
Twitter Profile wrote:Jonathan McIntosh
@radicalbytes
Transformative media maker. Pop culture critic. Producer and a writer on the Tropes vs Women in Video Games YouTube series.
He is the man that laid the golden goose, and know all he has to do is keep on churning out the bullshit.
Well I was refering to gamergate in general but ok. Looking at Anitas first tropes vs women in video games it got just over 2 million views. Her last video has been up for around a month and yet it has still to break the 1 million mark. While I agree that its depressing that an obvious con artist is able to get so far in the games industry I don't think things are all that bleak. At the end of the day gamers are the ones paying the bills not Anita. Either the games industry will realise that or go bankrupt.

feathers

Post by feathers »

SoylentAtheist wrote:To be fair its an easy error to make.
No it snot.

Eskarina

Post by Eskarina »

Apples wrote:http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/891/8184508411.png

Really? A whole chapter? That's amazing.

Have a look at this, Carrier:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriminalge ... ristentums

And quoting extensively? Where have I heard this before? :think:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Jan Steen wrote:Guess who wrote this:
What’s new in Christianity Is Not Great? Oh, it’s great…

I have two chapters in it that you’ll probably love to have. In both I apply my skills as a historian and my knowledge of antiquity to questions of later periods, citing and relying on primary evidence and experts in those periods.

The first of those is “Christianity and the Rise of American Democracy” in which I reproduce and expand on my previous speech on the subject, generating my best essay (with even more references) (...)
Too easy?

Dick Carrier. Honestly, If he would have written --- Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! it wouldn't have been any easier.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

bovarchist wrote:

Trust me, they feel insulted. No matter how much they doth protest that they don't.

I'm sticking with SJW. Or maybe neo-McCarthyites.
To me SJW is the perfect tag for them, since how a person reacts to it discriminates immediately who and what they are. If their reaction is that it's some kind of slur against social justice, they're idiots, and you don't want to deal with them anyway. If they remain deliberately obtuse about denying its sarcasm, they're either disingenuous or outright dishonest. You can lump Ophelia and PZ in this category. You particularly don't want to cater to people like that.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Tribble wrote:
Jan Steen wrote:Guess who wrote this:
What’s new in Christianity Is Not Great? Oh, it’s great…

I have two chapters in it that you’ll probably love to have. In both I apply my skills as a historian and my knowledge of antiquity to questions of later periods, citing and relying on primary evidence and experts in those periods.

The first of those is “Christianity and the Rise of American Democracy” in which I reproduce and expand on my previous speech on the subject, generating my best essay (with even more references) (...)
Too easy?

Dick Carrier. Honestly, If he would have written --- Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! it wouldn't have been any easier.
I ninja'd you two pages ago. :cdc:

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Gefan wrote:
"AnonymousCowherd"...But the US seems to have a blind spot about talking about class (coz Commies say that?) and so does Oz, because we like to pretend we live in a classless society...
Cowherd, I'd like to follow up on that point a bit.
What was the impact in Oz of the remarkable Chris Lilley's series Summer Heights High (and subsequent spin-off Ja'mie: Private School Girl)? Those shows seemed to be very much about class.
The notion of the US being a classless society is (at best) quaint, but I've lived most of the last twenty five years in America.
However, I haven't spent enough time in Australia to form an opinion of its relative classlessness. It seemed to me to be relatively free of such divisions but I'm certainly not sure that impression would stand up to more detailed scrutiny.

My understanding (through economics) is that European countries (at least the Western ones), Australia and New Zealand have far less 'class rigidity' (economic class, not social class) than the US. It's a two-edged sword however as it's easier to fall down even though it's easier to move up.