Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
JackSkeptic

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by JackSkeptic »

After a few years trying I have finally got the local Jehova Witnesses to agree to a debate, although it is more likely to be a friendly chat at their place aimed at mutual understanding than anything formal. Their attitude to life puts people such as Myers to shame. If atheism requires me to be like Benson, Svan, Myers and the rest of them I would rather believe in the tooth fairy so I can get back to sanity. Luckily their assertion that atheism must mean hateful Social Justice Warrior is so wrong that it is not even wrong.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I've got alot of catching up to do.
But I will say I hope that Mykeru gimp sticks his horned head in here from time to time despite the 'flounce'. The Pit just isn't the same without em.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Konrad_Cruze wrote: .. snip
I notice Konrad 'leveled up' at least by his new avatar.
Must be the result of taking the Iron Pill.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Cut Mykeru some fucking slack kilt!
FTFY

The flounce was the best thing for everyone, but I hope Mykeru keeps making videos and tweeting the baboons, until Peezus is driven to run down the streets of Morris naked, tiny willy flapping, screaming, 'Fuck Mykeru! Fuck Mykeru with a rusty hectocotylus!'

I also hope Mykeru is lurking, and PMs me about all those 78s I still want to give to him.

That would all be so awesome :)

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Clarence wrote:
Don't be ridiculous the iron pill is for you mortals. I have made a pact with the Gods of chaos. They give me strength.

Well Slaanesh tries to give me other things like coffee in a hotel room.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

James Caruthers wrote:
TheMudbrooker wrote:
James Caruthers wrote: Do you think your viking ancestors worried about rain, sloot?

Stacking wood = lifting, nordic style.

Get out and stack some mad gains before you become a womanlet.
Lifting is what manlets who don't burn wood do to feel volkisch.
Implying that the spirit of Iron Pill is unable to burn this wood with Europa's eye-lasers after reaching the top of Evola's peak and taming the tiger.

Sounds like you burn wood as an excuse for not lifting it, manlet.
People should not argue with James Caruthers about what and who is volkisch.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
Clarence wrote:
Don't be ridiculous the iron pill is for you mortals. I have made a pact with the Gods of chaos. They give me strength.

Well Slaanesh tries to give me other things like coffee in a hotel room.
At least Slaanesh doesn't try to ask you for a chat and coffee while you are in a cramped, private elevator ... does he?

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I shall be back well within 24 hours. I have much more of my Wisdom to impart on this day.
Plus, I'm way behind in my perving quota on Japanese schoolgirls and I'm about to lose my Misogynist licence if I don't let the Pit have some more of it.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Clarence wrote:
At least Slaanesh doesn't try to ask you for a chat and coffee while you are in a cramped, private elevator ... does he?
Quit minimising my experiences shitlord.

And one for James...Is Slaanesh a he or a she? Its hard to tell sometimes

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

James Caruthers wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:
James Caruthers wrote:I agree, Reap, but prepare for incoming Nietzsche quote spam.
Nope. I've made my views quite clear. I am done with the topic as of Now.
It's okay Konrad, you're a fan of Warhammer and thus clearly cool.
IMAG0033.jpg
Earl of Manchester's Regiment of Foote
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 177 times
One down only 95 more to go.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Here's a summary of a podcast by InternetAristocrat (someone fighting gaming SJW's) with his take on why SJWs' seem so prevalent. He got the Dawkins anecdote completely wrong but it does not detract from the point being made.

[youtube]HcYYBKUv4Mc[/youtube]

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

Nec_V20 wrote: I figuratively had to bite my tongue to not correct you with regard to the word "specter" because I thought that this would be taken the wrong way and start a gratuitous barney.

<snip>
I don't know what that is, but here's a gratuitous bjarte for you:

:bjarte:

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

JackSkeptic wrote:After a few years trying I have finally got the local Jehova Witnesses to agree to a debate, although it is more likely to be a friendly chat at their place aimed at mutual understanding than anything formal. Their attitude to life puts people such as Myers to shame. If atheism requires me to be like Benson, Svan, Myers and the rest of them I would rather believe in the tooth fairy so I can get back to sanity. Luckily their assertion that atheism must mean hateful Social Justice Warrior is so wrong that it is not even wrong.
Q: What's the difference between a Jehovah's Witness and a Hells Angel?
A: A Hells Angel is someone who comes to your door at eight o'clock on a Sunday morning and tells YOU to fuck off.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

fuzzy wrote:I'm thinking that as a team-building exercise we could all, say, play a few games of charades, or maybe sing a few rounds of "row row row your boat." Put some textured tofu sausages on the grill. Maybe play some team some eggtoss games or three-legged races. Who has a big backyard?
I think AndrewV69 does, but there are bears in it.

Nec_V20

Post by Nec_V20 »

JackSkeptic wrote:After a few years trying I have finally got the local Jehova Witnesses to agree to a debate, although it is more likely to be a friendly chat at their place aimed at mutual understanding than anything formal. Their attitude to life puts people such as Myers to shame. If atheism requires me to be like Benson, Svan, Myers and the rest of them I would rather believe in the tooth fairy so I can get back to sanity. Luckily their assertion that atheism must mean hateful Social Justice Warrior is so wrong that it is not even wrong.
Here's something that might interest you:

[youtube]eQ1x86WjnUU[/youtube]

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Nec_V20 wrote:
A: A Hells Angel is someone who comes to your door at eight o'clock on a Sunday morning and tells YOU to fuck off.
By jove. I think he may be getting the hang of this

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

BarnOwl wrote:
fuzzy wrote:I'm thinking that as a team-building exercise we could all, say, play a few games of charades, or maybe sing a few rounds of "row row row your boat." Put some textured tofu sausages on the grill. Maybe play some team some eggtoss games or three-legged races. Who has a big backyard?

We could always do some team building bear wrestling. Is it volkish to wrestle bears?

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

[quote="Nec_V20"][quote="JackSkeptic"]After a few years trying I have finally got the local Jehova Witnesses to agree to a debate, although it is more likely to be a friendly chat at their place aimed at mutual understanding than anything formal. Their attitude to life puts people such as Myers to shame. If atheism requires me to be like Benson, Svan, Myers and the rest of them I would rather believe in the tooth fairy so I can get back to sanity. Luckily their assertion that atheism must mean hateful Social Justice Warrior is so wrong that it is not even wrong.[/quote]

A: A Hells Angel is someone who comes to your door at eight o'clock on a Sunday morning and tells YOU to fuck off.[/quote]

Well, I now have a good joke for the discussion :popcorn:

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

What the hell? FT I HATE YOU AND YOUR DAMNED QUOTE THINGY!!!!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Biohazard wrote:Jaclyn Glenn reads some of her hate mail and oddly does not curl up in the fetal position or exhibit any other obvious signs of PTSD.

[youtube]fjCPH-lfWuM[/youtube]

Funny that. It's like there are other ways to handle it besides the fainting couch and pretending you have PTSD.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Tribble wrote:
Biohazard wrote:Jaclyn Glenn reads some of her hate mail and oddly does not curl up in the fetal position or exhibit any other obvious signs of PTSD.

[youtube]fjCPH-lfWuM[/youtube]

Funny that. It's like there are other ways to handle it besides the fainting couch and pretending you have PTSD.
Fuck you Tribble. Dont you realize that she didn't receive any real threats. God damn you Melody's PTSD is real. She shouldn't have to enact the labour of proving this to you. Why would she lie?

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

The quote below is from one of Myers' posts (the main topic of which I have no comment/opinion on or criticism of):
I couldn’t help but compare it to academic graduations. One huge difference: the army really emphasizes family life. It is simply taken for granted that the men and women in military careers will get married and will have children, and that the military has to accommodate that fact. It was radically different from the attitude for advanced students in the sciences: you will do science all the time, and while some of you might have families someday, don’t expect scientific institutions to support you in any way in that waste of your time.

We might be wise to learn this one thing from the army. While these men and women are going off to potentially dangerous situations, it’s understood that families are part of what people do; in the sciences, we seem to think that even our calm, mostly safe, very secure positions, we must not risk our careers by living like ordinary people.
All I can say is that those are some remarkably strange statements, coming from someone with his academic history. I'm quite the oddball amongst my colleagues in that I don't have children, and almost all of the successful scientists I can think of - men and women - have children and live "like ordinary people." When I was primarily doing research, supervisors and colleagues told me to take a few days off, or to get away from the lab and do something fun. Now that the majority of my work time is spent teaching, it's quite the opposite - I get grief if someone thinks I'm going to miss an hour or two of teaching because I have a doctor's appointment or have to take care of a necessary home/auto repair, and my teaching colleagues would shit themselves with resentment if a serious injury or illness took me out for more than a day.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

JackSkeptic wrote:2. Gamers are smarter than people in the A/S movement who seem to have fooled themselves that they are immune to cognitive bias and emotional blackmail.
Are you sure about that? People know a witch hunt when they see one. When that comes down the pike, it isn't exactly the smartest of self preservation moves to jump in front the torch & pitchfork crowd and yell 'hey stop.' Of course, if no one ever does challenge them, it leads to bad results for society as a whole. But people make those choices every day about how to spend their time. I still say people opt not to vote because they rightly think that their individual effort is better spent improving their own individual lives first. And again, that approach fails when expanded out to a societal view.

The only part that surprised people is that the skeptical movement was not more immune to this bullshit. However, as a whole, skepticism has shied away from challenging politics. And feminism is a political movement. It had received a pass at conventions because it wasn't a political party in the same way that Democrats & Republicans are a political party. And feminism 101 isn't really bad at all & most people agree with many of the basics. It is what 3rd wave feminism has turned into that is the problem.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Clarence wrote:I've got alot of catching up to do.
But I will say I hope that Mykeru gimp sticks his horned head in here from time to time despite the 'flounce'. The Pit just isn't the same without em.
Mykeru hasn't left. He still reads here. He just replies on twitter. It is an inefficient approach, but the one he has chosen.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Reap wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
John: Mykeru has been a big ass at times, to the point of getting really annoying (t-shirtgate, or whatever you want to call it). Compared to everything else he's done, be it videos, audios... I don't think it's fair to give him shit. Or you can decide to shit on people who agree with you and fight SJW bullshit the way they personally like. It's not my style.
Phil .....I LOVE YOU!!! kiss me
Give me a break. He hasn't done a thing I've found positive but make some long-winded videos that could summed everything up in one-third the time. They made good 'back-ground' information when came back to the A/S community, but that's it.

But, in reality, despite his recent pissy-fit and attacking people because of the blow-back against his childish (and 100% pointless) tattling on Myers, he's made NO CHANGES and accomplished nothing despite all his macho posturing. I mean, besides troll people and reinforce their belief that every person in the SlymePit is an asshole.

Yet he has the audacity to attack and shit on people who are trying to win the 'PR war" aka 'hearts and minds' despite his long list of failure and cultivating negative impressions in the A/S community of those who push-back against the SJW-crowd. To make a WWII analogy, when the Germans came rolling through the Ukraine, they were (mostly?/widely?) welcomed! But when they (the Germans) started acting like assholes, that kind of went away pretty quick:
During the military occupation of Ukraine by Nazi Germany, a large number of Ukrainians chose to cooperate with the Nazis. Reasons for this generally included resurgent Ukrainian nationalism, aspirations for Independence and widespread anger and resentment against the Russians over the Holodomor, which ocurred only a few years before. These were coupled with rampant racism towards other ethnic groups (such as Jews, Tatars, Roma peoples and Poles) as well as a prevailing sentiment of antisemitism. However, the absence of Ukrainian autonomy under the Nazis, mistreatment by the occupiers, and the deportation of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians as slave laborers, soon led to a rapid change in the attitude among the collaborators.
Bottom-line is Mykeru really does nothing, at least anymore (and when he can be bothered), but troll people which only serves to reinforce every nasty thing they believe about SlymePit members by reinforcing their cognitive and emotional biases. AND, since he was a 'significant' (for any presumed value of significant) member of the Slympepit, he's negatively impacted every single one of us by acting the fool on a constant basis. So, not only does someone who is actually pushing back, and doing well, like Aneris have to over-come an entrenched enemy, with high-ground, with the popularity, with name recognition; but, she she has to do it with the albatross of Mykeru's self-absorbed trolling that gives them all the "See, I'm a victim of this asshole troll, therefore, my position is right" card plus sympathetic victim status.

So, if fighting a PR war, you want people who keep sabotaging your reasonableness, maturity and positions -- Mykeru is your man. But I, for one, could do without his (and Damion's two-faced) 'help.' YMMV.

BarnOwl

Post by BarnOwl »

deLurch wrote: Are you sure about that? People know a witch hunt when they see one. When that comes down the pike, it isn't exactly the smartest of self preservation moves to jump in front the torch & pitchfork crowd and yell 'hey stop.' Of course, if no one ever does challenge them, it leads to bad results for society as a whole. But people make those choices every day about how to spend their time. I still say people opt not to vote because they rightly think that their individual effort is better spent improving their own individual lives first. And again, that approach fails when expanded out to a societal view.

The only part that surprised people is that the skeptical movement was not more immune to this bullshit. However, as a whole, skepticism has shied away from challenging politics. And feminism is a political movement. It had received a pass at conventions because it wasn't a political party in the same way that Democrats & Republicans are a political party. And feminism 101 isn't really bad at all & most people agree with many of the basics. It is what 3rd wave feminism has turned into that is the problem.
Tragedy of the commons

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

James Caruthers wrote:I agree, Reap, but prepare for incoming Nietzsche quote spam.

The childish tit-for-tat game hasn't worked for anyone, ever, when it comes to Myers.
Not one time. Not for The Catholic League. Not for anyone else. And especially not for Mykeru.

But keep blowing hard and flexing your Internet Pecks and pretending you have a valid position. Maybe someday the Good Fairy Of Wishful Thinking will make it work and all the people whose cognitive and tribal biases you've reinforced will see the light.

lol

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

JackSkeptic wrote:

I also do not think people always realise how effective the anti-FtB/A+/Skepchick narrative has been. Nugent has turned on them, that would never have happened without the Slympit, and their invites to conferences and the like have dried up. More and more people are aware of the danger they present. Their narrative is a powerful one which tugs at all the emotional strings. It won't be defeated easily, especially as most of the so called A/S movement leaders in the US are abject cowards as well as easily fooled.
I have doubts the Slympit did anything of merit or influenced Nugent. Nugent's anti-Myers conversion really had to do with the attacks on Dawkins. Then Myers using the 'Pit as a boogeyman and saying Nugent's blog was full of misogynists, rapists, etc.

Over-all, there have been a few people, like Aneris, taking the high-road which I think has been helpful. Much, if not most, of which has been in the face of people like Mykeru who've reinforced every negative stereotype hung around the 'Pit's neck like an albatross.

But as a whole, the 'Pit's done nothing but whine a lot and, occasionally, act the fool for most of the time I've been aware of it. A criticism that has been leveled by others, even clowns as two-faced as Damion. It's only with Nugent's direct-push-back have we seen some semblance of push-back from the 'Pit.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

Nec_V20 wrote:It was not even a foregone conclusion that they were going to tell me about the diagnosis because on the whole I did not appear to be suffering or pathological.
To say that it was a shock is somewhat of an understatement. I was in my mid-twenties and my entire life was basically turned upside down.
Why was it a shock? What changed for you other than now having a name for what you've always had? It's not like you were being told some NEW ailment has happened to you, like you have developed a new illness or something. Your case is so mild that you say "on the whole I did not appear to be suffering or pathological".
I had fallen in love with computers and I drifted away from them as I got more and more intensively involved with computers. It wouldn't surprise me if I buried myself in computers to escape the shame of being autistic.
What shame? You are an aspie, not a an ordinary autist. Aspie's are considered smart, detailed, and other nice stuff. Their reputation, far from being shameful, is a good one. That's why there are so many people on the internet who WANT to be aspie, and who humble-brag about it by mentioning it every chance they get.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Brive1987 wrote:I can't believe reap could be so naive as to pull that "response in kind" shit around here.
We need some form of sticky post to explain the new pit rules to the newbies.
Everybody's in favor of "responding in kind." Jezebel seemed to successfully rationalize that they were "responding in kind" when they published the racist tweets of some minors and followed that up by contacting the kids' schools to urge them to put the kids through racial sensitivity training.
Jezebel published a number of tweets that used racial slurs and derogatory descriptions to attack the President. Many of the racist messages were tweeted by minors. In a follow-up article, the publication said it had contacted the minors’ schools so that officials could “teach them about racial sensitivity.”

Kurtz questioned whether a media organization seeking to get teenagers punished could be a form of bullying.

“No,” Coen responded. “What’s going to happen is probably inevitable, yes, but we’re not bullying bullies. They put their messages out there. They put their names on it. They’re publicly part of these schools. To call an organization, when you find out an individual is part of an organization and they are acting in a manner that violates the codes of that organization, as a reporter, it makes sense to call that organization.”
Hey, it's not her fault if those kids get in trouble. She was just making honest inquiries to clarify whether the school endorsed the kinds of things those kids were saying, you know, like a good, honest reporter does. What kind of cynic thinks it was anything more than that?

The problem is that "responding in kind" turns out to be a very elastic concept, subject to a lot of ad-hoc adjustments. (And yes, I realize that you, at least commendably attempted to nail down a clearly-defined plan.)

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BarnOwl wrote:The quote below is from one of Myers' posts (the main topic of which I have no comment/opinion on or criticism of):
I couldn’t help but compare it to academic graduations. One huge difference: the army really emphasizes family life. It is simply taken for granted that the men and women in military careers will get married and will have children, and that the military has to accommodate that fact. It was radically different from the attitude for advanced students in the sciences: you will do science all the time, and while some of you might have families someday, don’t expect scientific institutions to support you in any way in that waste of your time.

We might be wise to learn this one thing from the army. While these men and women are going off to potentially dangerous situations, it’s understood that families are part of what people do; in the sciences, we seem to think that even our calm, mostly safe, very secure positions, we must not risk our careers by living like ordinary people.
All I can say is that those are some remarkably strange statements, coming from someone with his academic history. I'm quite the oddball amongst my colleagues in that I don't have children, and almost all of the successful scientists I can think of - men and women - have children and live "like ordinary people." When I was primarily doing research, supervisors and colleagues told me to take a few days off, or to get away from the lab and do something fun. Now that the majority of my work time is spent teaching, it's quite the opposite - I get grief if someone thinks I'm going to miss an hour or two of teaching because I have a doctor's appointment or have to take care of a necessary home/auto repair, and my teaching colleagues would shit themselves with resentment if a serious injury or illness took me out for more than a day.
Wow. In the my wife's lab at Wash U, three kids were born in the last month. A bit of an unusual convergence of pregnancies and child-birth. But every lab party has kids and most of the married couples have at least one and most having two.

Hunt

Post by Hunt »

JackSkeptic wrote: 2. Gamers are smarter than people in the A/S movement who seem to have fooled themselves that they are immune to cognitive bias and emotional blackmail.
My opinion, the reason SJWs have found some success in A/S is that A/S has a [pre-existing left-leaning political tendency. For SJW it was fertile ground and easily cultivated. Gamers are more broad spectrum and nonpartisan, and hence more suspicious of an authoritarian left-wing incursion. They're also more internet and social media savvy. They realize the simple but effective media campaign being waged against them. There's always going to be idiots who threaten and harass. The SJWs use that as an excuse to smear and counter-harass. Gamers don't care. They're targeting advertisers in a business war. Beyond smearing all gamers with the bad behavior of a few idiots, the SJWs are impotent. They have no power of coercion in themselves but rely on the power of others stupid, naive, or scared enough to fall for their propaganda. This time it's not happening. Gamers have a clearly defined goal: to be left alone. SJWs don't really have a clearly defined goal. If they do, what is it, exactly? Harassment policies on games? Gubmint imposed ratings or censorship? SJWs don't really know what they want, they're just circling their enemy, hoping to find weaknesses and waiting for shit to fall out. This is why I think they're going to go down big time against Gamergate.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Cliché Guevara wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:I can't believe reap could be so naive as to pull that "response in kind" shit around here.
We need some form of sticky post to explain the new pit rules to the newbies.
Everybody's in favor of "responding in kind." Jezebel seemed to successfully rationalize that they were "responding in kind" when they published the racist tweets of some minors and followed that up by contacting the kids' schools to urge them to put the kids through racial sensitivity training.
Jezebel published a number of tweets that used racial slurs and derogatory descriptions to attack the President. Many of the racist messages were tweeted by minors. In a follow-up article, the publication said it had contacted the minors’ schools so that officials could “teach them about racial sensitivity.”

Kurtz questioned whether a media organization seeking to get teenagers punished could be a form of bullying.

“No,” Coen responded. “What’s going to happen is probably inevitable, yes, but we’re not bullying bullies. They put their messages out there. They put their names on it. They’re publicly part of these schools. To call an organization, when you find out an individual is part of an organization and they are acting in a manner that violates the codes of that organization, as a reporter, it makes sense to call that organization.”
Hey, it's not her fault if those kids get in trouble. She was just making honest inquiries to clarify whether the school endorsed the kinds of things those kids were saying, you know, like a good, honest reporter does. What kind of cynic thinks it was anything more than that?

The problem is that "responding in kind" turns out to be a very elastic concept, subject to a lot of ad-hoc adjustments. (And yes, I realize that you, at least commendably attempted to nail down a clearly-defined plan.)
Right. And you know what's amazing. Is we have all these homilies, cliche's, stories, etc., that illustrate these pointless-revenge concepts.

The abyss. Eye-for-an-eye leaves whole world blind. Greek revenge plays. Hamlet. The Spanish Tragedy. MacBeth. Titus. Edward II. Hell, George Orwell made a career of it, including Animal Farm as the Pigs and Men became indistinguishable by the end of the book.

YET ALMOST NOBODY, ONCE THEY GET ON THEIR EMOTIONAL JONES, CAN PULL BACK AND SEE IT. Instead it's just more rationalization coupled with passive-aggressive sniping by people who otherwise pride themselves on their intellectual prowess.

So, what's next -- 'more responding in kind.' So they can be the victim and you can keep the cycle going? Then you're the victim and they keep the cycle going. Back-and-forth. Back-and-forth.

Have fun with that:

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2008 ... _Lokai.jpg

As for me, I'm not playing that game. It doesn't work. It just perpetuates more tit-for-tat.

John D

Post by John D »

Tribble wrote:

The childish tit-for-tat game hasn't worked for anyone, ever, when it comes to Myers.
Not one time. Not for The Catholic League. Not for anyone else. And especially not for Mykeru.

But keep blowing hard and flexing your Internet Pecks and pretending you have a valid position. Maybe someday the Good Fairy Of Wishful Thinking will make it work and all the people whose cognitive and tribal biases you've reinforced will see the light.

lol
I agree with Tribble's analysis of the Mykeru drama. I don't think Mykeru is going to help. The way to attack a shit like PZ (or the other SJWs asshats) is to take the high road. 99% of people don't have the time, or the smarts to follow the details behind all the drama. Once enough people get shit on by these idiots we will hit a tipping point.

Part of what is going on is the recent flourishing of third wave feminism and its expression in popular media. Look at John Stewart vs. O'Reilly, look at the "Ban Bossy" campaign, look at the latest FckH8 video, look at the California "yes means yes" law for college kids. Even the president can get away with using the 1 in 5 stat. Holy fuck! How do you fight such stupid.

I think I will try to keep my integrity and just keep plugging away at the problem. Take the high road. Point out the flaws. Let shit like the "yes means yes" law crash and burn. In the mean time, keep your head down and try to make enough money that you don't need help from any of these fuckers.

I do think Mykeru is funny so I would still enjoy his company here. I don't really care about what he does. He is just a little shithead voice in the crowd so it will not matter in the scheme of things. I just come here for the yucks... and to learn stuff... and to get my "fair share of abuse" as the great bard once said.

windy

Post by windy »

Tribble wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote: ....
I also do not think people always realise how effective the anti-FtB/A+/Skepchick narrative has been. Nugent has turned on them, that would never have happened without the Slympit, and their invites to conferences and the like have dried up. More and more people are aware of the danger they present. Their narrative is a powerful one which tugs at all the emotional strings. It won't be defeated easily, especially as most of the so called A/S movement leaders in the US are abject cowards as well as easily fooled.
I have doubts the Slympit did anything of merit or influenced Nugent. Nugent's anti-Myers conversion really had to do with the attacks on Dawkins. Then Myers using the 'Pit as a boogeyman and saying Nugent's blog was full of misogynists, rapists, etc.
OTOH PZ might not have overextended himself so foolishly, if he and most of the rest of FTB hadn't spent a couple of years working themselves into a lather over the Slymepit boogeyman. And that didn't even require any "direct action" on the pit's side.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

Tribble wrote: YET ALMOST NOBODY, ONCE THEY GET ON THEIR EMOTIONAL JONES, CAN PULL BACK AND SEE IT. Instead it's just more rationalization coupled with passive-aggressive sniping by people who otherwise pride themselves on their intellectual prowess.
A related irony:

"OMG, Myers doxxed Skep tickle over what was obviously nothing more than a joke? WTF is wrong with him?"

*transformation into extremely literal-minded Assburger*

"ERMAHGERD MYERS FANTASIZES ABOUT FUCKING HIS MERMAID STUDENTS THIS IS NO JOKE THIS IS DEAD SERIOUS SOMEONE ALERT THE UNIVERSITY!"

Tribal rationalization. You're soaking in it.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Tribble wrote:

lol
Your obsessive tilting at the fanatics is exposing your own crazy.

Community service announcement.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

rayshul wrote:I'm interested in the parallels between how the skpeticism SJW infiltration has rolled on and how gamergate is now playing out.

I notice that for gamergate there's been the massive rounds of mainstream media talking about how evil gamers are and how they want to rape everyone, which I do remember from the A+ dramedy (although less mainstream media!). I can't remember how long it took to die down.
The reason for this is that gaming is a multiple-billion dollar industry that is not going to fuck with its demographic to appease a couple of shrill whiners. They'll pat Sarkeesian on the head, throw a few dollars at some feminists who'll develop a couple of lame and quickly forgotten games and that will be it.
Even the wimmenz in jeopardy arc that sells news will peter out as people get board with the same martyrs over and over again. Nothing has actually happened to Sarkeesian and eventually people will catch on. Unless she ups her game by say, having her boyfriend blacken one of her eyes and claiming an actual assault by evil gamers. In the long run, the most Sarkeesian can hope for is a sinecure at some women's group.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

Skep tickle wrote: Mark your calendars.......?
Calendar marked !

I don't know about you lot, but I can't wait to hear how the strategy of Atheism Plus "going underground" is working out for them. And can quiet Marc get any quieter ?

katamari Damassi

Godammed auto correct!

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

James Caruthers wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:
Nope. I've made my views quite clear. I am done with the topic as of Now.
It's okay Konrad, you're a fan of Warhammer and thus clearly cool.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Sa9YqYdByEI/T ... ansell.jpg

Warhammer. Not even once.

And yes, I'm well aware that I also paint Warhammer miniatures but I don't own a single vest and have never had a mullet.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Steers is also another Pitter who doesn't get jokes that easily (plus, he seems to have problems with some pop-culture references at times, though he's correcting it). He's doing great here, and is welcome more often than not.

MKG (where the fuck are you, Michael?!?) is on the autism spectrum (and not "specter" as I stupidly typed earlier) and has adapted so well to the Pit that he would put me to shame with his wit. I may note that I'm probably very lonely here when it comes to missing MKG. But damn, the man was FUN!
http://i.imgur.com/J1oa1cQ.jpg

Also no, I also miss MKG. Don't agree with everything he says, but I like him.

debaser71

Post by debaser71 »

IMO, Tribble, and some others, STFU already. You preachy, holier than thou fuck wankers. It's like day 7 of this nonsense. Enough.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
January 23rd? My birthday! What a fucking poisonous present. Can I have an ugly sweater instead?
That's my birthday, too!

It's also the birthday of Edouard Manet, Mariska Hargitay, and Tiffani Amber-Thiessen. :character-burgerking:

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Steers is also another Pitter who doesn't get jokes that easily (plus, he seems to have problems with some pop-culture references at times, though he's correcting it). He's doing great here, and is welcome more often than not.

MKG (where the fuck are you, Michael?!?) is on the autism spectrum (and not "specter" as I stupidly typed earlier) and has adapted so well to the Pit that he would put me to shame with his wit. I may note that I'm probably very lonely here when it comes to missing MKG. But damn, the man was FUN!
MKG was cool as fuck.
I thought all men were thought to be on the asperger spectrum, but that might jus be some half-remembered feminist propoganda.

Steers has worked really hard on 'getting' jokes and now even makes some,occasionally, amusing ones too. But JFC he worked at that. I swear I saw him throw out a funny ONE-LINER the other day. Made me stop and check who posted. :hankey:

Old_ones

Post by Old_ones »

"I teach you the volkish man. The dudebro is something that shall be overcome. What have you done to overcome him?
All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome the dudebro? What is the ape to the dudebro? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And dudebro shall be just that for the volkish man: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment..."

Friedrich Nietzche

"Give us the child for 8 years and it will be a dudebro forever" -V I Lenin

"Bitchez be lyin' " - Diego Rivera

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Fuck, I'm a huge nerd.
Little late in the day to notice that Phil;)
Bhoytony has tried to point it out on occasion IIRC

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

BarnOwl wrote:
deLurch wrote: Are you sure about that? People know a witch hunt when they see one. When that comes down the pike, it isn't exactly the smartest of self preservation moves to jump in front the torch & pitchfork crowd and yell 'hey stop.' Of course, if no one ever does challenge them, it leads to bad results for society as a whole. But people make those choices every day about how to spend their time. I still say people opt not to vote because they rightly think that their individual effort is better spent improving their own individual lives first. And again, that approach fails when expanded out to a societal view.

Tragedy of the commons
I heard this last night
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04l3clb
at about 15:35 in the above programme is the best discussion/sketch about the 'They died for your vote' argument.
John Finnemore is a comic genius imho.
Obviously unavailable to Git as it's a BBC production.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

fuzzy wrote:Was somebody looking for alpsbuglers?
I went to an alpaca show this past weekend. Someone was serving alpaca-burgers.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
fuzzy wrote:Was somebody looking for alpsbuglers?
I went to an alpaca show this past weekend. Someone was serving alpaca-burgers.
UGH fuck that! Camelids taste almost as shitty as carnivorous mammals.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Nec_V20 wrote: The whole outrage about ISIS is a bit disingenuous.
Personally I would want to see George W. Bush, Dick Cheney, Don Rumsfeld, Colin Powell, Douglas Feith, Richard Perle, Paul Wolfowitz, Condoleeza Rice, Scooter Libby and Karl Rove among others be given a fair trial and then lined up against a wall and shot and then have their bodies thrown in a sewer to be disposed of as the rats see fit.
That's the sentence begging the verdict.

But remember when the Democrats promised to investigate the Iraq war, and indict anyone who lied? Then ... silence. Because It's OK When We Do Itâ„¢

I do agree that the ISIS furor seems a bit manufactured. I also doubt that ISIS' rise to power was as unexpected as everyone claims. They make such a nice bogeyman, don't they? Still, wiping out every last one of them would be a good thing.

And then islam. We need to get rid of islam.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Mykeru does tend to go on & on in his tweets. I feel he might be more effective if he provided a 2 or 3 word synopsis of his tweets for those of us who just can't slog through his full twitter post.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Skep tickle wrote:
Avalyne wrote:
rayshul wrote:FtB Con update announced:

No one cares still.

I wonder if people would tune in to a Slymepit con. That'd be fascinating.
Could we do it online? Not sure I want to meet any of you shitlords in person. I like hiding behind a computer keyboard. Plus, what if I get drunk and one of you rapists offers me coffee!? *shivers*

Or.. we could do it in Australia, and then I wouldn't care if I were meeting you all in person (with your coffee mugs full of feminist tears). Because Australia.
Just picturing Slymepit Con panel discussions on, for example,
  • screwdrivers & hammers
  • bread
  • Palestine/Israel
:shock:
A joint effort, Slyme critique of the FTBcon presentations would be interesting. I call Hornbeck!!

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:
JackSkeptic wrote:
Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:If a video/audio Pit con becomes a thing, I'll take part. Not this week end, though, off to the mountains again in 25 minutes.

I've asked reap through Skype if he could help.
I'd also like to take part.
I think it's an important point to show that we are people too. I know not everyone would be comfy with video, but audio alone would be a nice start. You know, something more than just anons typing behind the safety of their keyboards. I've done a podcast with Reap before, and he is a very charming and polite host. He'd probably be the best person to organize this.
I'm in. I have a very sexy voice.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BarnOwl wrote:

I have a [REDACTED BUT REALLY BIG] ranch. Bears, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lions, just saw a fox yesterday, hawks, owls, a rare rattlesnake.

No baboons allowed.

Seriously, anyone passing through the foothills of the Foothill mountains is welcome to visit and stay in my guest cabin. another lurker has a standing invitation to drop down anytime for some bucking & felling.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

BarnOwl wrote:The quote below is from one of Myers' posts (the main topic of which I have no comment/opinion on or criticism of):

Peez teaches 2 -3 courses per semester, and his research (sic) work consists entirely of grabbing the little net each morning to dispose of the belly-up floaters.

The Walter Mitty is in overdrive at this point.

katamari Damassi

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
Now that the majority of my work time is spent teaching, it's quite the opposite - I get grief if someone thinks I'm going to miss an hour or two of teaching because I have a doctor's appointment or have to take care of a necessary home/auto repair, and my teaching colleagues would shit themselves with resentment if a serious injury or illness took me out for more than a day.[/quote]
Peez teaches 2 -3 courses per semester, and his research (sic) work consists entirely of grabbing the little net each morning to dispose of the belly-up floaters.

The Walter Mitty is in overdrive at this point.[/quote]
Sounds like his colleagues are sick of doing his job while he jets off to conferences. Can't really blame them.

Also, he knows nothing about the military. Your family accommodates them, not the other way around. "We understand. You go to the war today because you have to pick your daughter up from soccer practice."

katamari Damassi

Sorry for the fucked up quotes. I need a phone with a bigger screen.

TiBo

Post by TiBo »

Nec_V20 wrote:These fuckers make ISIS look like noddy in playland with regard to atrocities.
Spoken like a true progressive liberal shitstain.

Noddy in playland with regard to atrocities... sure.
B0faqeOCQAA_dAi.png large.png
what the progressive mainstream media doesn't want you to see
(533.35 KiB) Downloaded 181 times

feathers

Post by feathers »

deLurch wrote:Mykeru hasn't left. He still reads here. He just replies on twitter. It is an inefficient approach, but the one he has chosen.
A bit like Jesus Christ, you mean?