Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
Tribble

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by Tribble »

comhcinc wrote:
Tribble wrote:
lol. You're funny. Assets are easy to attach. Bank accounts. Brokerage accounts. Realty. Personalty. Piece of cake.
Having had one a small claims judgment (which I know is not the same thing) I and tell you it really isn't that easy. The court will not gather information for you, so in my example while I won the judgement since I couldn't track down the guy's bank I never got the money.

Of course I understand this is not the same thing and maybe some high priced lawyers could do a better job but it really isn't just a piece of cake.
Did I say the Court would? No.

Once they don't pay, you get a Write of Execution that allows you to levy the debtor's assets and wages (or have the Sheriff perform a 'till-tap,)' suspend his professional licenses (if any), and place liens on his real property.

If you have a hard time finding his assets, you can get a subpoena and force him to divulge his assets. If he fails to divulge, you can haul him in for Contempt of Court. You can also subpoena his bank, broker, and other third parites, to gain his financial information. I've done the latter a good 20+ times when I worked for the Feds and the civil procedures in these debtor payment problems are very similar.

And, of course, if you're just too damn busy, you can just sell it to a collection agency since it's perfected. And, to be honest, it's really great. Sure, you won't get full value, but you'll be done with it and those fucking bill collectors are about 5,000% more fucking ruthless and annoying than you and I.

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

deLurch wrote:
bovarchist wrote:OK could someone explain to me who Lena Dunham is
My thought on this is I don't see why a 29 year old TV show writer would be publishing her memoirs when it wasn't really an extraordinary life.
We're talking about her, right?

Aneris

Post by Aneris »

Potholer is back, and provides something of use for the situation with the Social Justice League, and nicely underscores Nugent's (and other people's) approach. See how much of these tactics were used in the this “haven for rapist” incident. It shows very nicely were FTB really is, and demonstrably so, since this wasn't a fluke. You can take a sheet of paper, write their tactics down, and just checkmark while watching this video.

[youtube]YezbREhH_Eg[/youtube]

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Michael Nugent just wrote yet another great post.
There is a strange online meme called ‘tone-trolling’, whereby some people who are rude and abusive to you will complain if you ask them to be polite. Now there is a new turbo-charged version called ‘sea-lioning’, whereby they will also complain that you are being persistently polite yourself.

It is as if some people want to reverse the evolution of civilisation, to make being rude and abusive something to be proud of, and being polite and civil something to be ashamed of.
:handgestures-thumbup:
those who do use the memes of ‘tone-trolling’ and ‘sea-lioning’ as ways to try to reverse the evolution of civilisation, should be aware that they will face polite and persistent resistance from those of us who want to build an ethical world based on empathy, compassion, cooperation, reciprocity, fairness and justice.
:clap:

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

There is a shitstorm brewing in Canada about (or should I say aboot) 2 Liberal male Members of Parliament sexually harassing 2 of their peers in the NDP, a leftist party.
The Liberal MPs deny the allegations yet have been suspended by their own party. The NDP accusers haven't been named, and there allegations haven't been explained. This in spite of these (presumably women) that are professional politicians. It seems to me that if they have the nerve to run for political office and serve in our federal government they would come forward and publicly make the accusations rather than remain anonymous and not even explain their grievances.
Hard to say what the offenses (apparently unrelated) are but they aren't recent, it was the Ghomeshi story that inspired them to come forward. Regardless of the validity of the alleged offenses, I certainly wouldn't want to elect a legislator that didn't have enough spine to come forward and report a crime or breach of ethics against them.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/05 ... 03210.html

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

screwtape wrote:Do rankings in Go actually hold up as reliable indicators of performance? I don't know much about Go, but have read that it is proving very hard to make a good computer opponent, which presumably means there are no simple algorithms for best play, which might be an indicator that luck comes into it a lot.
Below Dan (Kyu), the rankings don't mean much and you progress to Sho-Dan very quickly. But a 3rd Dan will beat a 2nd three out of four or four out of five, so once you're serious, the rankings are highly predictive.

As to computers that play Go, Kosmos was very good, but the one from Stanford that used neural nets, instead, was better. That's all I know about that.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tribble wrote:And, of course, if you're just too damn busy, you can just sell it to a collection agency since it's perfected. And, to be honest, it's really great. Sure, you won't get full value, but you'll be done with it and those fucking bill collectors are about 5,000% more fucking ruthless and annoying than you and I.
Thanks for the info. Most of that stuff is just over my head but that last one I like. Will look in to it.

katamari Damassi

Post by katamari Damassi »

I like Dunham. I'm not the biggest fan of Girls, because it's cringe humor(a bunch of self absorbed millennials living in NYC, they're all neurotic in their own way and get into bad or humiliating situations of their own making), though I admit to watching it. Dunham is fearless. She's not afraid to humiliate herself, she makes her character as unattractive as she can get, both physically and in personality. I don't know anything about her personal life or ideology, but I do admire her work.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:As a ranked Go player, I know exactly how chess rankings work. I also know approximately what percent of all men and women have been ranked (or rated) and that was my point: you have already suffered selection bias when you only look at ranked players and you are already looking at the upper tail of the distribution of all people who even know how to play chess.

If you believe that the average skill level of unranked players is anywhere close to the average skill level of ranked players, then....
Ok, since you understand exactly how chess rankings work, then why did you suggest that I left out the adjective "ranked" in my comment? I made pretty clear I was talking about players who have ratings, and if you have a rating then you are ranked (against all other players who also have ratings). Using both ranked and rated is redundant.

Second, I didn't intend to suggest that the average skill level of unrated/unranked players is anywhere close to rated/ranked players. I was comparing men vs. women, not ranked vs. unranked.

My point was that I don't see any good reason to suppose that the apparent disparities in male vs. female chess play only holds true for rated/ranked players but not for unrated/unranked players. Why would that be? And how would you propose to measure or verify that, given that unrated/unranked players have no ratings, rankings or recorded games that would allow any type of comparison?

Southern

Post by Southern »

comhcinc wrote:You people not using chrome sicken me. Bow down to your Google masters now!
Today Mozilla shipped FF 33.0 and, surprise surprise, it broke Firebug - now some Jquery functions like data() and fadeIn/fadeOut() weren't working. I spent two hours trying to make a webpage to work because, literally, it was working the last time I tested! Then I suppose I disabled Firebug somehow and lo and behold, it was working again.

Reminds me of the IE 6 years, only worse. Anyway, I hate Chrome because it doesn't have a default option to clear the cache & history when you close it (I hate to do it manually). And I'm to lazy to use the Private Navigation, and that stupid spy on top of the browser looks stupid (not as stupid as Firefox's Private Navigation icon, of course, but at least I don't need to use it). And Chrome's AdBlock is a piece of sheeeeet. It keeps showing Youtube ads (yeah, color me surprised). Fuck that.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

katamari Damassi wrote:I like Dunham. I'm not the biggest fan of Girls, because it's cringe humor(a bunch of self absorbed millennials living in NYC, they're all neurotic in their own way and get into bad or humiliating situations of their own making), though I admit to watching it. Dunham is fearless. She's not afraid to humiliate herself, she makes her character as unattractive as she can get, both physically and in personality. I don't know anything about her personal life or ideology, but I do admire her work.

I tried to get into the show after hearing all the buzz. Watched about half the first season and just couldn't get in to it.

Southern

Post by Southern »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:This was just posted on a fairly dormant stream at Nugent's:
Feanor November 5, 2014 at 4:57 pm
Great post. We’ve needed someone with superhuman patience and forbearance to do this for a long, long time. Most people understandably lose their rag and surrender the moral highground by saying something stupid, or just walk away.
For too long this has been a false dichotomy between SJWs and “slyme-pitters”. Disagree with one on anything and they pigeon-hole you into the other.
I think what needs wider acknowledgement, though, is how poisonous and self-destructive this whole stupid business has become. I strongly suspect many, many capable people have been turned away from the atheist movement because of all this. I think the time has come for those of us who disagree with both camps to put this argument behind us.
We need to be able to have rational, calm discussions without demonising good people. Those who can’t do this should be sidelined, ignored and not invited to any atheist/secular events regardless of what side of the argument they’re on

I replied:
Feanor wrote: "For too long this has been a false dichotomy between SJWs and “slyme-pitters”. Disagree with one on anything and they pigeon-hole you into the other.
Hi, Feanor. That's an unfair characterization of the consensus sentiment among Slymepit members. We are fully aware, and accept, that a vast body of 'neutral' or middle ground people exist. If you end up rejecting both slymepitters and FTB/skepchicks, that's fine by us, as our only objective is the latter.

There are some Pitizens frustrated by a perceived tardiness in the 'neutrals' recognition of the odious nature of Myers, Benson, et al. I, for one, don't share that frustration, and am just glad everyone has come to that realization by whatever path.

Your characterization is fair for FTB/Skepchicks. They use "evil slymepitter" in the same way a cult does, as a rubric for any & all non-believers. Any 'neutral' who fails to toe their line, Like Michael, is tossed into the heap & demonized. At FTB, they are already speculating on what "skeletons" he has in his closet.

In comparison, at the Pit you will find uniform praise for Michael for his present efforts and for his long-standing activism, despite his previous criticism of Pit tactics.

" I think the time has come for those of us who disagree with both camps to put this argument behind us."
Feanor, what specifically do you disagree with regarding the Slymepit camp? Is it our choice of tactics, or our wish that Atheism be about atheism, Secularism about secularism, Skepticism about skepticism?

No one speaks for the Pit, but I'd venture most of us would tolerate those who argue for A/S to include SJ activism, and would welcome an healthy debate on the question. (To test this hypothesis, merely raise an opposing opinion at The Slymepit, then at Pharyngula, and observe the respective reactions.)
What we will not tolerate is the Atheism Plus 'with us or against us' diktat.

"We need to be able to have rational, calm discussions without demonising good people. Those who can’t do this should be sidelined, ignored and not invited to any atheist/secular events regardless of what side of the argument they’re on."
AFAIK, no Pitizens aspire to be speakers at A/S events, though you all might well consider us. Why invite a blogger with a bachelor's in communications to talk about science, when you could have a PhD engaged in cutting-edge HIV research? Why rely on a teacher of undergrad intro biology, who ascribes to neo-lamarckism, to counter IDers & creationists, when you could have actual geneticists working on research?

In any case, we would be quite content to see the invites to FTB/Skepchicks dry up, and an end to their corrosive damage to A/S activism & public image.
http://www.demotivationalposters.org/im ... 155433.jpg

Seriously, well said, sir/madam/horse. Well said.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Southern wrote:. Anyway, I hate Chrome because it doesn't have a default option to clear the cache & history when you close it (I hate to do it manually). And I'm to lazy to use the Private Navigation, and that stupid spy on top of the browser looks stupid (not as stupid as Firefox's Private Navigation icon, of course, but at least I don't need to use it). And Chrome's AdBlock is a piece of sheeeeet. It keeps showing Youtube ads (yeah, color me surprised). Fuck that.
Two things that might help you with Chrome. First use AdBlock Plus instead of AdBlock. I do not get youtube ads. Give Close & Clean a try.
From the description of the add on
Close all tabs and windows and clean up Chrome in one single click
This app will add "Close & Clean" button to your chrome apps (including the chrome app launcher). When you click the button it will close all currently opened tabs and windows and will clean Chrome caches, history, stored data and so on (depending on your settings).

It could be useful, for example, if you work with many sites and want to have single shortcut to close and clean everything at the end of the day.

By default it will clear only the cache. It can delete other trash too -- cookies, history, saved data etc. You can define what to be cleaned (along with some other settings) on app's options page (right-click on the icon and select "Options").

Southern

Post by Southern »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:Ugh. The republicans took the senate, so we're likely to go through 2 years of non-stop Obama impeachment hearings that won't actually go anywhere. On the plus side though, that will keep them occupied and so they probably won't have time to do much real damage.
obama deserves impeachment, but not for what the Gops would impeach him for.
Agreed, but it's already too late.

If you believe in a form of justice that combines "the rule of law" with "equal before the law," then many members of the present and previous Administrations should be in court. But, by alternative between two rigid parties, the American system pretty much guarantees that that will never happen, as each Administration continues and adds to the illegal activities of the previous, such that going after the current (from one party) will necessitate going after the previous (from the other party), so no-one ever gets the ball rolling.
Hey, you fuckers aren't going to impeach your president now! Some people here are counting on your guy helping us impeach ours!

(So stupid, it hurts. But serves them right, since in 1998, the ones in charge now were calling for the impeachment of president FHC.)

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

I think the MickTheSeaLion twitter account does Michael Nugent a favor. Yes, it ridicules Michael, both in terms of appearance and his personal approach for tackling issues.

But what it also does, is that it helps to keep Michael's issue in the forefront, and brings it to the wider audience. Plus it makes pz's horde supporters look bad.

Those are some nice benefits, if you are are willing to accept a small dig into your dignity.

Southern

Post by Southern »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:As a ranked Go player, I know exactly how chess rankings work. I also know approximately what percent of all men and women have been ranked (or rated) and that was my point: you have already suffered selection bias when you only look at ranked players and you are already looking at the upper tail of the distribution of all people who even know how to play chess.

If you believe that the average skill level of unranked players is anywhere close to the average skill level of ranked players, then....
No woman can play better than Alekhine. To be fair, I think few man could ever play better than Alekhine. The Alekhine Defense is a work of art, I tell you. Looks so stupid after the third move, and yet it plays marvelously.

Southern

Post by Southern »

comhcinc wrote:
Southern wrote:. Anyway, I hate Chrome because it doesn't have a default option to clear the cache & history when you close it (I hate to do it manually). And I'm to lazy to use the Private Navigation, and that stupid spy on top of the browser looks stupid (not as stupid as Firefox's Private Navigation icon, of course, but at least I don't need to use it). And Chrome's AdBlock is a piece of sheeeeet. It keeps showing Youtube ads (yeah, color me surprised). Fuck that.
Two things that might help you with Chrome. First use AdBlock Plus instead of AdBlock. I do not get youtube ads. Give Close & Clean a try.
From the description of the add on
Close all tabs and windows and clean up Chrome in one single click
This app will add "Close & Clean" button to your chrome apps (including the chrome app launcher). When you click the button it will close all currently opened tabs and windows and will clean Chrome caches, history, stored data and so on (depending on your settings).

It could be useful, for example, if you work with many sites and want to have single shortcut to close and clean everything at the end of the day.

By default it will clear only the cache. It can delete other trash too -- cookies, history, saved data etc. You can define what to be cleaned (along with some other settings) on app's options page (right-click on the icon and select "Options").
Will try it. Thanks!

Southern

Post by Southern »

SoylentAtheist wrote:I think the MickTheSeaLion twitter account does Michael Nugent a favor. Yes, it ridicules Michael, both in terms of appearance and his personal approach for tackling issues.

But what it also does, is that it helps to keep Michael's issue in the forefront, and brings it to the wider audience. Plus it makes pz's horde supporters look bad.

Those are some nice benefits, if you are are willing to accept a small dig into your dignity.
Besides, as far as "online abuse and harassment" go, I'm pretty sure that Nugent saw worse things than a crappy Twitter parody account. His skin must not be so thin.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

First, I withdraw the bit about your statement needing adjectives and I'm sorry for doing that.
CuntajusRationality wrote:My point was that I don't see any good reason to suppose that the apparent disparities in male vs. female chess play only holds true for rated/ranked players but not for unrated/unranked players. Why would that be?
It's because of the difference in variance. When two populations have the same mean, but different variances, the average members of both populations will be roughly the same, but there will be more members of the high-variance group near both extremes. Please watch Pinker's explanation; it's one of the better ones out there.
CuntajusRationality wrote:And how would you propose to measure or verify that, given that unrated/unranked players have no ratings, rankings or recorded games that would allow any type of comparison?
Well, I could copy DeGroot (who did the best work on memory for chess-boards) and use college students. Have them come in and play chess (maybe against a program always set to a given level). There are plenty of ways to get estimates of the means and variances of even complicated variables if you're willing to do the work. The real issue will be sampling. I'd rather avoid college students in this case, to be honest; they've already been selected for related skills.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Southern wrote:

No woman can play better than Alekhine. To be fair, I think few man could ever play better than Alekhine. The Alekhine Defense is a work of art, I tell you. Looks so stupid after the third move, and yet it plays marvelously.
I prefer the Corbomite Maneuver.

katamari Damassi

comhcinc wrote:
katamari Damassi wrote:I like Dunham. I'm not the biggest fan of Girls, because it's cringe humor(a bunch of self absorbed millennials living in NYC, they're all neurotic in their own way and get into bad or humiliating situations of their own making), though I admit to watching it. Dunham is fearless. She's not afraid to humiliate herself, she makes her character as unattractive as she can get, both physically and in personality. I don't know anything about her personal life or ideology, but I do admire her work.

I tried to get into the show after hearing all the buzz. Watched about half the first season and just couldn't get in to it.
One more thing about Dunham, when her show Girls premiered she was almost immediately attacked by SJW's for racism because it didn't feature any minorities and for fatphobia because of fat jokes she made ABOUT HERSELF. So even if I wasn't inclined to like her, those attacks by SJW's would've at least made me give her a second look.

katamari Damassi

Lsuoma wrote:
Southern wrote:

I prefer the Corbomite Maneuver.
We should go out for a glass of tranya sometime.

katamari Damassi

I'm impressed. I've never played Go, but was a decent chess player. Back in my college years I would play the dumbed down American version of Go called Othello with my girlfriend who consistently kicked my ass at it despite my being smarter her.

katamari Damassi

Four in a row bitches! I claim this page!

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Othello is, IMO, one of the best games for kids. Better than jumping straight to Go, at least, since the standard trick of playing on a small board (e.g., 13x13) when beginning usually hurts later. As soon as your kids can't lose at tic-tac-toe, get Othello. No matter their age.

I actually hate chess. I can play, but I just don't like it. Why? Patriarchy! (You had to ask....)

You folks with chainsaw complexes would appreciate how one is supposed to carve a Go board (by hand) when awarded Sho-Dan status. Mine is made from oak, because I'm an idiot. It took about five times as long as anyone else's (and a lot more blood, too). The trick to a really good board is having the wood be thinnest towards the center, such that the pitch of the click when you play a stone goes higher as you play more towards the center. My board just produces various thuds of an unimpressive sort. But I still have it. The fancy table I made for my son when he was into Bakugan is much nicer.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Oops. On rereading the above, the bit about Othello for kids comes across as a bit harsh. Sorry. But the game does "top out" earlier than chess or Go. Once you know how to control edges and corners, you're done.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

It's happening, SJWs are trying to eliminate burden of proof for rape cases.
Stanford already uses the lowest burden of proof legally permissible, “preponderance of the evidence,” and young men now have fewer rights in college sex tribunals than illegals crossing the border, but for Dee, that's too many. She proceeded to mouth a hostility to due process that may be unprecedented in this blog's reporting, and that's saying a lot.

Stanford, Dee clucked, “puts so much emphasis on the burden of proof.” The school should not be focusing on “defending the perpetrator, because essentially burden of proof is a defense of the perpetrator.” Dee continued: “No one should have to” prove they’ve been raped. “You should take people at their word because nobody would lie about this kind of painful experience.”
Thanks, SJWs. Thanks to you, I now believe ALL liberal/feminist women who claim to have been raped are lying unless and until they provide compelling evidence AND obtain a conviction in court.

Five years ago, I would absolutely have believed without question that a woman who claims to have been raped is probably telling the truth. But I have seen too much lying from SJWs and heard of too many cases in my own life of women (crack hos, disordered, mentally-ill women) lying about rapes to believe that nobody would ever lie about rape.

Can't help but notice the similarities between guys in college being accused of crimes and punished without evidence or a fair trial, and the plight of certain black Americans when accused of raping a white woman. Of course, since no ACTUAL witches are being burned or men being hung in the modern day, this is totes different. 8-)

CuntajusRationality

BlueShiftRhino wrote:First, I withdraw the bit about your statement needing adjectives and I'm sorry for doing that.
CuntajusRationality wrote:My point was that I don't see any good reason to suppose that the apparent disparities in male vs. female chess play only holds true for rated/ranked players but not for unrated/unranked players. Why would that be?
It's because of the difference in variance. When two populations have the same mean, but different variances, the average members of both populations will be roughly the same, but there will be more members of the high-variance group near both extremes. Please watch Pinker's explanation; it's one of the better ones out there.
CuntajusRationality wrote:And how would you propose to measure or verify that, given that unrated/unranked players have no ratings, rankings or recorded games that would allow any type of comparison?
Well, I could copy DeGroot (who did the best work on memory for chess-boards) and use college students. Have them come in and play chess (maybe against a program always set to a given level). There are plenty of ways to get estimates of the means and variances of even complicated variables if you're willing to do the work. The real issue will be sampling. I'd rather avoid college students in this case, to be honest; they've already been selected for related skills.
Fair enough, thanks for the clarification. I'll definitely check out what Pinker has to say on this, and very much appreciate the reference.

I do recall seeing references to a study, published in the journal Psychological Science, that looked at the "participation-rate hypothesis." If I recall correctly, that study found that where the participation rates are equal, the disparities between men and women drop below the level of statistical significance.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

As I commented to Mykeru earlier (on YT): money. If and when Stanford starts losing money due to their rape policy, it will change back quite quickly. I just feel sorry for the guy(s) this will hurt before it happens.

Nah. Not really. Stanford guys are all asshole.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

This is the debate in question. Both sides do fine on their turns. Spelke gets on my nerves during the back-and-forth near the end. If their genders were reversed, the back-and-forth would be a great example of man'splaining in action.

[youtube]Hb3oe7-PJ8[/youtube]

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Not sure why the video didn't embed...

[youtube]-Hb3oe7-PJ8[/youtube]

CuntajusRationality

Just wanted send a quick shout-out and hardy thanks to all those who weighed in on the sleep apnea discussion a little while back. I'm almost up to 2 weeks now using the Philips Respironics REMstar SE machine, and I have noticed a marked improvement in my energy levels and duration/quality of sleep.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

ps. Psychological Science is a worthless rag with the worst reviewing in the field; less than 50% of the "cutting edge" stuff that they publish will not replicate and they have a policy of not publishing corrections

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

Oh Mr Nugent, well done.

http://i.imgur.com/maoPkqh.jpg

James Caruthers

That MickTheSeaLion account has 1 follower and follows 6 people.

1 guess each on who they are.

Anyway, it's a pretty obvious sock and my bet is it's a sock created by one of the six people the account is following.

Nicest of The Damned

Post by Nicest of The Damned »

free thoughtpolice wrote:There is a shitstorm brewing in Canada about (or should I say aboot) 2 Liberal male Members of Parliament sexually harassing 2 of their peers in the NDP, a leftist party.
The Liberal MPs deny the allegations yet have been suspended by their own party. The NDP accusers haven't been named, and there allegations haven't been explained. This in spite of these (presumably women) that are professional politicians. It seems to me that if they have the nerve to run for political office and serve in our federal government they would come forward and publicly make the accusations rather than remain anonymous and not even explain their grievances.
Hard to say what the offenses (apparently unrelated) are but they aren't recent, it was the Ghomeshi story that inspired them to come forward. Regardless of the validity of the alleged offenses, I certainly wouldn't want to elect a legislator that didn't have enough spine to come forward and report a crime or breach of ethics against them.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/11/05 ... 03210.html
That's a sound point. The reasons most often given for not reporting this stuff boil down to distrust of the system. That's particularly tough ground to stake out for a politician. What are they going to say next election year? "I promise to everything I can in order to fulfill my campaign promises. Which is nothing."

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

James Caruthers wrote:That MickTheSeaLion account has 1 follower and follows 6 people.

1 guess each on who they are.

Anyway, it's a pretty obvious sock and my bet is it's a sock created by one of the six people the account is following.
Whomever's account it is is lousy at photoshop and takes no pride in their work.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

I know this is completely off topic but I couldn't help it. It's too good.

[youtube]onE43h_TUUY[/youtube]

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/05/world/asi ... index.html
Phil Rudd, the drummer for legendary hard rock band AC/DC, has been charged with attempting to have two men killed.
The 60-year-old appeared in a New Zealand court Thursday afternoon facing a count of attempting to procure the murder of two men, said Bay of Plenty district's police spokesperson, Kim Perks.
He was also charged with threatening to kill, possession of methamphetamine and possession of cannabis, Perks said.
The names of the men he allegedly wanted killed and the name of the alleged potential hitman are suppressed, CNN affiliate TVNZ reported.
Rudd entered no plea to the charges at the Tauranga District Court, and was bailed until November 27, local media reported.
Police searched Rudd's waterfront home in Tauranga on Thursday morning, TVNZ reported.
The Australian-born drummer moved to New Zealand in 1983, after being sacked by the group. He rejoined the group years later.
AC/DC are one of the world's biggest-selling musical acts, and in 2003 were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Their latest album, Rock or Bust, is scheduled for release later this month.

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

comhcinc wrote:I know this is completely off topic but I couldn't help it. It's too good.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/05/world/asi ... index.html
Phil Rudd, the drummer for legendary hard rock band AC/DC, has been charged with attempting to have two men killed.
The 60-year-old appeared in a New Zealand court Thursday afternoon facing a count of attempting to procure the murder of two men, said Bay of Plenty district's police spokesperson, Kim Perks.
He was also charged with threatening to kill, possession of methamphetamine and possession of cannabis, Perks said.
The names of the men he allegedly wanted killed and the name of the alleged potential hitman are suppressed, CNN affiliate TVNZ reported.
Rudd entered no plea to the charges at the Tauranga District Court, and was bailed until November 27, local media reported.
Police searched Rudd's waterfront home in Tauranga on Thursday morning, TVNZ reported.
The Australian-born drummer moved to New Zealand in 1983, after being sacked by the group. He rejoined the group years later.
AC/DC are one of the world's biggest-selling musical acts, and in 2003 were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Their latest album, Rock or Bust, is scheduled for release later this month.
He lives in the same town as my parents. Well known as a complete waste of space, doesn't surprise me to hear he's stepped over the line.

James Caruthers

[youtube]n6tiyGqL9ck[/youtube]

Hey Dunham fans, check this out.

I don't even get a lot of these jokes. The thesis is so shoddy. Like, the guy is so many different adhom stereotype insults rolled into one that some of the things he's supposed to be contradict other stuff he's supposed to be.

And that's not even mentioning that this is a skit based around an almost-entirely online slapfight, but it was performed on live TV for an audience who probably don't even know what the fuck an MRA is beyond what a feminist like Lena tells them.

I mean, by all means, make jokes about MRAs, I just think this skit is really, really unfunny and fucking lame. Bjarte can do better. Bjarte has done better. What the fuck is the bit at the end? Is that how a misogynist would act? :doh:

some guy

Post by some guy »

Brive1987 wrote:Oh Mr Nugent, well done.

http://i.imgur.com/maoPkqh.jpg
Man, Nugent just continues to score; round after round.

Link: http://www.michaelnugent.com/2014/11/06 ... nd-smears/

blitzem

Post by blitzem »

Trekkies.

/shakeshead

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

James Caruthers wrote:
Hey Dunham fans, check this out.

I don't even get a lot of these jokes. The thesis is so shoddy. Like, the guy is so many different adhom stereotype insults rolled into one that some of the things he's supposed to be contradict other stuff he's supposed to be.

And that's not even mentioning that this is a skit based around an almost-entirely online slapfight, but it was performed on live TV for an audience who probably don't even know what the fuck an MRA is beyond what a feminist like Lena tells them.

I mean, by all means, make jokes about MRAs, I just think this skit is really, really unfunny and fucking lame. Bjarte can do better. Bjarte has done better. What the fuck is the bit at the end? Is that how a misogynist would act? :doh:
Oh my gawd! She was in a shitty unfunny snl skit! I am totes changing my opinion and she has to be a sexual predator. :roll:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

CuntajusRationality wrote:Just wanted send a quick shout-out and hardy thanks to all those who weighed in on the sleep apnea discussion a little while back. I'm almost up to 2 weeks now using the Philips Respironics REMstar SE machine, and I have noticed a marked improvement in my energy levels and duration/quality of sleep.
Hurray! Glad to hear it's working so well for you.

How about this for a tagline for a CPAP company? "Breathing: it's not just for daytime anymore."

:)

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Nugent does not miss a trick. He has the SJW mindset worked out to perfection.

One thing the SJW's also fail to grasp is that just because he is responding to their poison that does not mean he agrees with or supports the Slympit in any way. In fact for all I know he despises us lot for all sorts of reasons. The SJW black and white, with us or against us narrative makes them supremely stupid when it comes to working out motives and beliefs. The fact someone's blog policy allows disagreement does not mean he supports any opinions expressed there. Along with their gross hypocrisy their ability to shoot themselves in the foot time and again is legendary. If they were smart they would have succeed in getting Nugent to sympathise with them.

Zvan's persistent lies and distortions, Benson's faux-outrage and Myer's petty and vindictive behavior is clear to anyone not brain washed by a pernicious ideology.

piginthecity

Post by piginthecity »

About this Sealion business -

There is some substance to the idea, in that over-politeness can indeed be used as a form of dramatic tactic. It's possible to adopt a reasonable tone simply to enrage an emotional adversary further, and to illustrate a contrast between them and yourself being the reasonable, rational one, and to push them off their position. In Transactional Analysis terms, this dishonest use of politeness would be termed a form of the 'Rescuer' role-play and would therefore be contributing to the drama as opposed to cutting through it. I guess that this behaviour equates to what the SJL call 'Sealioning'.

Nugent, though is absolutely not doing this. He's not having a conversation simply for the sake of tone. He's sticking to the point, the point being the dishonesty of the smears. He's not using the politeness to push the FTB's off their position, he's inviting them to defend their position substantively, which they are unable to do. Politeness is the natural way he communicates. In Transactional Analysis terms, he's 'Adult to Adult' which is the honest form of communication.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

I have to admit, Michael is handling this brilliantly. It's really not looking so good for the other side at the moment.

:clap:

Barael

Post by Barael »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
screwtape wrote:Do rankings in Go actually hold up as reliable indicators of performance? I don't know much about Go, but have read that it is proving very hard to make a good computer opponent, which presumably means there are no simple algorithms for best play, which might be an indicator that luck comes into it a lot.
Below Dan (Kyu), the rankings don't mean much and you progress to Sho-Dan very quickly. But a 3rd Dan will beat a 2nd three out of four or four out of five, so once you're serious, the rankings are highly predictive.

As to computers that play Go, Kosmos was very good, but the one from Stanford that used neural nets, instead, was better. That's all I know about that.
What little I know about chess / go computers, they're a combination of brute force and AI. The brute force part is where they compute the all the possible ways for the game to proceed for the next N turns (N = as big as time and computing power permits) and the AI part comes in when picking which outcome to pursue. The problem with Go as opposed to chess is that there are typically far, far move legal moves to make so computing all possible game states for following turns becomes computationally prohibitive much faster than in chess.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

blitzem wrote:Trekkies.

/shakeshead
They should move along home.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

piginthecity wrote:About this Sealion business -

There is some substance to the idea, in that over-politeness can indeed be used as a form of dramatic tactic. It's possible to adopt a reasonable tone simply to enrage an emotional adversary further, and to illustrate a contrast between them and yourself being the reasonable, rational one, and to push them off their position. In Transactional Analysis terms, this dishonest use of politeness would be termed a form of the 'Rescuer' role-play and would therefore be contributing to the drama as opposed to cutting through it. I guess that this behaviour equates to what the SJL call 'Sealioning'.

Nugent, though is absolutely not doing this. He's not having a conversation simply for the sake of tone. He's sticking to the point, the point being the dishonesty of the smears. He's not using the politeness to push the FTB's off their position, he's inviting them to defend their position substantively, which they are unable to do. Politeness is the natural way he communicates. In Transactional Analysis terms, he's 'Adult to Adult' which is the honest form of communication.
Also, he is not (literally or metaphorically) following them around like the sea lion from the comic. He makes his points on his own blog and invites them to respond. He's using the least confrontational way available to argue while still standing up to their attempted smears.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

And entirely off topic, an attempt to make Phil a little jealous:

http://i.imgur.com/VmPJHWz.jpg

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Ted: ye bastard!

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

fuzzy wrote:
another lurker wrote: Also, posted to show off my new avatar. I prefer this one over the fuzzy Hello Kitty saw.
I should be so lucky as to have a Hello Kitty saw. Mt Stihl MS-350 was being "kept" for me by a friend I now cannot find. Thanks for triggering me. I'm going outside now.
Is that..a...a..an electric saw? God damn petrol is the only way to power a saw

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

CuntajusRationality wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:On average, female chess players tend to be significantly lower-rated than male chess players; they tend to win fewer games when playing against male opponents; and they are disproportionately under-represented in the upper echelons of competitive chess. In fairness, though, some of these disparities are down to historical reasons and the fact that far fewer women than men play competitive chess.
I believe that you omitted a critical adjective. The correct statement is: "On average, ranked female chess players tend to be significantly lower-rated than ranked male chess players." The revised sentence makes two extra points. First, as you later pointed out, there are females playing competitive chess than males; some form of selection bias may have already occurred before the reported data was collected. Second, we are here looking at the upper tail of the chess-skill distribution, such that a true advantage for males in this sub-population tells you little about the true means of the entire distributions.

One of the claims of the sexual dimorphism folks that has not been as (successfully) challenged by the new wave of "there are no differences!" folks is that males show higher variance. Thus, the means could be the same, while the upper (and lower) tail is dominated by males. And there's a very good evolutionary just-so story for the difference in variances.
I think you misunderstand what it means to be a rated (or "ranked" as you put it) chess player. We're not talking only professional players - we are talking anyone who has played at least one game in some kind of organized chess competition, which would include scholastic players, club players, novices, and rank amateurs (as well as the pros). For example, there are over a million rated/ranked FIDE players, whereas there are only a few thousand professional players in total. The vast majority are lowly patzers like me.

I don't really see why we should suppose that the chess-skill distribution would be all that different when comparing rated/ranked players against non-rated or non-ranked players. Then again I'm no statistician and so perhaps I'm missing or misunderstanding something important here.
For example I am rated at 445. I am not ranked 445. For the record I won one game in the school chess comp when I was 12 hence the pathetic rating. If I was to compete again now I would say I play around the 800-900 mark. which is OK considering I don't take it seriously.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

Aneris wrote:Potholer is back, and provides something of use for the situation with the Social Justice League, and nicely underscores Nugent's (and other people's) approach. See how much of these tactics were used in the this “haven for rapist” incident. It shows very nicely were FTB really is, and demonstrably so, since this wasn't a fluke. You can take a sheet of paper, write their tactics down, and just checkmark while watching this video.

[youtube]YezbREhH_Eg[/youtube]
-huzzah-8100.jpg
(59.93 KiB) Downloaded 175 times

CuntajusRationality

BlueShiftRhino wrote:ps. Psychological Science is a worthless rag with the worst reviewing in the field; less than 50% of the "cutting edge" stuff that they publish will not replicate and they have a policy of not publishing corrections
Thanks for the warning, good to know. Are there any ratings or reviews of various journals that you know of that would allow lay-people to more easily weed out the shitty rags from the respectable ones? Or is it down to knowing the reputations of these journals based on experience and familiarity with them?

CuntajusRationality

Skep tickle wrote:
CuntajusRationality wrote:Just wanted send a quick shout-out and hardy thanks to all those who weighed in on the sleep apnea discussion a little while back. I'm almost up to 2 weeks now using the Philips Respironics REMstar SE machine, and I have noticed a marked improvement in my energy levels and duration/quality of sleep.
Hurray! Glad to hear it's working so well for you.

How about this for a tagline for a CPAP company? "Breathing: it's not just for daytime anymore."

:)
:lol: Nice, love it.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Ted: ye bastard!
My work here is done. :whistle:

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

James Caruthers wrote:

It's happening, SJWs are trying to eliminate burden of proof for rape cases.
Stanford already uses the lowest burden of proof legally permissible, “preponderance of the evidence,” and young men now have fewer rights in college sex tribunals than illegals crossing the border, but for Dee, that's too many. She proceeded to mouth a hostility to due process that may be unprecedented in this blog's reporting, and that's saying a lot.

Stanford, Dee clucked, “puts so much emphasis on the burden of proof.” The school should not be focusing on “defending the perpetrator, because essentially burden of proof is a defense of the perpetrator.” Dee continued: “No one should have to” prove they’ve been raped. “You should take people at their word because nobody would lie about this kind of painful experience.”
Thanks, SJWs. Thanks to you, I now believe ALL liberal/feminist women who claim to have been raped are lying unless and until they provide compelling evidence AND obtain a conviction in court.

Five years ago, I would absolutely have believed without question that a woman who claims to have been raped is probably telling the truth. But I have seen too much lying from SJWs and heard of too many cases in my own life of women (crack hos, disordered, mentally-ill women) lying about rapes to believe that nobody would ever lie about rape.

Can't help but notice the similarities between guys in college being accused of crimes and punished without evidence or a fair trial, and the plight of certain black Americans when accused of raping a white woman. Of course, since no ACTUAL witches are being burned or men being hung in the modern day, this is totes different. 8-)
The "nobody would lie about this!" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Lying, about anything, is incredibly easy. You just open your mouth and say something that isn't true. If you're particularly crafty you produce some fake evidence. People harp on and on how nobody would lie about this or about that, but it's only misplaced outrage for how much we don't like liars (or how much we're told we don't like liars, since when we lie we always have plenty of justifications for our behavior).

Lying about important things is actually easier than lying about petty bullshit, because if you say something that people deem important they're already eager to believe you. Lying is hard only for people who usually tell the truth and/or feel guilty about lying. If you practice your lies, and you think that your lie is actually a noble act or you just don't give me a damn, lying is the easiest thing in the world. Of course if you're dumb enough not to keep your lies straight, or if you're just plainly unlucky, you're going to get caught.

But if the punishment for your lie is a slap on the wrist or a stern warning, what's the big deal? If a man lies to his wife about not having any affairs, and after he's caught she forgives him, the message he gets (if he doesn't feel guilty) is "keep on lying, I'm actually fine with that".

Lying about rape is no different than lying about anything else.

The message that some people (like feminist blogger Catherine Pate) give to people who falsely accuse others of rape when they get caught is "Creating a safer space for people to retract their statements is nearly as important as creating safe space for actual rape victims. It’s incredibly wrong for people to give false rape accusations in the first place, but making it easier for people to retract false accusations can stop more damage from being done to all parties involved".

Which, for people who don't feel very guilty about lying, boils down to "If you falsely accuse someone of rape, retract your accusation and just say you're sorry, you're off the hook and nothing bad should happen to you. So keep on lying, we're kind of okay with that".

What do you think would happen in a world where the narrative is "always believe the accusers" and "false accusations aren't a big deal"? I suspect that we would have a huge spike in the number of false rape accusations, and if the system ditched the "innocent before proven guilty" principles, a large number of innocent people convicted of rape.

Even PZ and Lousy Canuck would have been convicted if we adopted Dee's standards. After all they were accused of rape/sexual assault, and according to Dee nobody would ever lie about that. Of course Dee is an extremist, but even the more "moderate" preponderance of evidence is a huge opportunity for people who want to make false accusations.

Every time a false accusation of rape is revealed to be fake SJWs bleat about how the real problem is the "rape epidemic", that if you're falsely accused you should take the false accusation as an opportunity to think about your life, that people who makes false rape accusations need "a safe space", etc.. Basically what they say is that false accusations aren't a big deal, they're actually kind of a noble act at times, and most importantly that people who make false rape accusations won't be punished.

It's a very ugly truth, but sadly there are some people who for one reason or another (mental illness, drug addiction, jealousy, bitterness about being cheated on, bitterness about a bad breakup) already want or even plan to false accuse someone of rape. When the SJWs tell those people that they're going to be believed no matter what, and even if they get caught they're getting away with it, some of those people will go ahead and do it, because the potential payoff of hurting people they hate is huge, and the risks of getting punished in a meaningful way are low.

That said I don't completely agree with James. I don't automatically disbelieve accusations of rape, I simply suspend my judgement on the truth of an accusation unless there is significant evidence and a conviction unless I personally know and trust the accuser.

Agnostic skepticism is sometimes mistaken for fence-sitting, but in the case of serious criminal allegations it's probably the best choice. I want accusations of rape made to the proper authorities to be taken seriously, to be investigated with thoroughness and professionalism.

If people aren't going to report their accusations to the authorities, if they're not going to let others put the accusations to test, I'll remain cautiously agnostic.They might be telling the truth, or they might not. If they're keeping the details and the evidence to themselves, we'll never know for sure.