Old subthreads
comhcinc

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by comhcinc »

What's up with all the guest today?

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

comhcinc wrote:What's up with all the guest today?
Now, now. Where are your Southern manners?

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

SkepticalCat wrote:Andrew Sullivan has a decent article about Twitter and censorship by "SJWs" (yes, he even uses that term).

http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2014/11/ ... n-twitter/

He concludes with:
Somehow, I suspect the culture wars online just got a little more frayed. Because Twitter has empowered leftist feminists to have a censorship field day.
:clap:
It has already begun. Several accounts have been suspended already.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

We are the hidden pleasure and guilty secret of many an FTB lurker. After all, where else could they go to to get gratuitous pictures of Hooters waitresses and barn owls?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

KiwiInOz wrote:
Now, now. Where are your Southern manners?

Hey I am mister fucking manners. So let them introduce themselves.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Sulman wrote:
SkepticalCat wrote:Andrew Sullivan has a decent article about Twitter and censorship by "SJWs" (yes, he even uses that term).

He concludes with:
Somehow, I suspect the culture wars online just got a little more frayed. Because Twitter has empowered leftist feminists to have a censorship field day.

It seems Nero has been suspended.

rayshul

Post by rayshul »

Remember when we were just a bunch of crazy outsiders?

And you didn't have to donate money to "push back" against us?

Or to fight us?

Oh gosh life is good here in 'pit town, and every day it gets a bit better...

HunnyBunny
Pit Sleuth
Pit Sleuth

Post by HunnyBunny »

I couldn't be arsed logging in. :D
Sulman wrote:

He concludes with:
these are the people that Twitter have chosen for their thought policing experiment. Think it says it all about the side on which Twitter fall in the Social Justice wars.

Someone clever needs to build Twitter Redux like 8chan did with 4chan.

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

rayshul wrote:Remember when we were just a bunch of crazy outsiders?

Or to fight us?

Yeah. When DID we become The Man?

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

KiwiInOz wrote:We are the hidden pleasure and guilty secret of many an FTB lurker. After all, where else could they go to to get gratuitous pictures of Hooters waitresses and barn owls?
It is really weird knowing that we are being watched. You know someone has files on us for some future attack.

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/33 ... -33655.jpg

KiwiInOz

Post by KiwiInOz »

comhcinc wrote:
KiwiInOz wrote:We are the hidden pleasure and guilty secret of many an FTB lurker. After all, where else could they go to to get gratuitous pictures of Hooters waitresses and barn owls?
It is really weird knowing that we are being watched. You know someone has files on us for some future attack.

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/33 ... -33655.jpg
Now there's an image I can flap to.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

HunnyBunny wrote:
I couldn't be arsed logging in. :D
So you are the one that has the dirt on Mykeru. Spill it.

Also I am pretty sure that Nec tried the same thing early today. :doh:

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Sulman wrote:

He concludes with:
@judgybitch4 tweeted that the Amazing Atheist & Milo had been "banned". I haven't confirmed, just passing along the rumor.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Skep tickle wrote: @judgybitch4 tweeted that the Amazing Atheist & Milo had been "banned". I haven't confirmed, just passing along the rumor.
Milo has been suspended. Banana Boy's account is still active.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

@Nero (Milo Yiannopoulos) - suspended
@amazingatheist - does not currently appear to have been suspended

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ninja'ed! Phone-posting; slow.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Skep tickle wrote:Ninja'ed! Phone-posting; slow.

I understand. Half the time Taptalk won't even load for me.

Post by Guest »

HunnyBunny wrote:Someone clever needs to build Twitter Redux like 8chan did with 4chan.
We don't need a replacement Twitter because nothing about Twitter is good or necessary. It should just go away.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

KiwiInOz wrote:

Or to fight us?

Always around when needed.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

KiwiInOz wrote:

Or to fight us?

Always around when needed.

GenerallyFading

Post by GenerallyFading »

Comhinc - at least one guest will be me, relax........

So with Twitter banning 'hate' towards teh wymmen, does that mean Katie Hopkins will be suspended? Although women, you know, never Tweet hatred towards other women.

BTW, can anyone point me to Ogvorbis' original "I remember I'm a rapist" post? I can't seem to find it, just the fall out.

bovarchist

Post by bovarchist »

Who's @Nero?

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

GenerallyFading wrote:... BTW, can anyone point me to Ogvorbis' original "I remember I'm a rapist" post? I can't seem to find it, just the fall out.
It was in the "Stunned Silence" thread at Pharyngula in August 2013, if that helps.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

GenerallyFading wrote:Comhinc - at least one guest will be me, relax........
I don't mind the lurkers, it's the posters that annoy me. You have an account then by jebus use it.
bovarchist wrote:Who's @Nero?
He is the closest thing to a MSM person giving a positive spin on gamersgate.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/ ... t-stop-now

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

bovarchist wrote:Who's @Nero?
Breitbart journalist who has become a Gamergate hero of sorts. Has been hanging out with Internet Aristocrat online. Gay man, which some of his supporters are using in their claims that Twitter has treated him unfairly.

Skep tickle

Post by Skep tickle »

Ninja'ed again! That's it, I'm flouncing...

...for the night. [emoji1]

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Skep tickle wrote:Ninja'ed again! That's it, I'm flouncing...

...for the night. [emoji1]
Don't think of it as being ninja'd think of it as completing the information.

GenerallyFading

Ah, but usually I'm a lurker. I flounced about 2 years ago and couldn't stick it. I only login to comment, and I haven't felt compelled to do that for a long time.

Hi Skeptickle - isn't that the one where they discuss it, not the original post? He mentioned writing on RW's blog and all this stuff 'came out'. I'd really like to read the original stuff - I feel FtB have created a rapist out of someone who said "I have these memories" but I can't verify that without reading exactly what he said in the beginning.

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

Fuck! We've just been informed that Alicja's brother was killed last night in a car accident.

2014 really sucks!

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

GenerallyFading wrote:Ah, but usually I'm a lurker. I flounced about 2 years ago and couldn't stick it. I only login to comment, and I haven't felt compelled to do that for a long time.

Hi Skeptickle - isn't that the one where they discuss it, not the original post? He mentioned writing on RW's blog and all this stuff 'came out'. I'd really like to read the original stuff - I feel FtB have created a rapist out of someone who said "I have these memories" but I can't verify that without reading exactly what he said in the beginning.
I think the important quotes, about him raping three little girls, were in the comments to that Pharyngula post about Mofo Anders multiple past experiences with rape.
He may have written elsewhere about the abuse he experienced himself - and I haven't seen anyone here deny that he was a victim himself when a child - but the comments in that post stand on their own. He admits to knowing the rape of the three girls was wrong and admits to carrying it out without the urging of an adult (as may have happened in the prior abuse he exerienced.)

I don't think that anyone here feels that a 12 or 13 year old Ogvorbis is as culpable as an adult for this action (if it really occurred - recovered memories and all that) but I think it should be recognized that the three girls were innocent victims in this scenario and there appears to be zero evidence of any compassion towards them from the Pharyngulite horde.

There is no easy solution to this dilemma. I don't think Ogvorbis should be prosecuted or go to jail - there is likely to be no evidence available and it is probably way past the statute of limitations (not to mention the problem of how you deal with charging an adult for the crime committed by a child several decades previously.)
Even contacting the girls to apologise or offer to pay for counselling is problematic - perhaps they were too young to remember much of the abuse and revealing the situation to them will traumatize them.

It seems to me that this was an issue that should have been dealt with by Oggie and a therapist - not Oggie and the whole fucking internet - which is what posting this stuff on Pharyngula basically amounts to.

It is interesting for me to see the various twists and turns the horde make in order to avoid the obvious points above. They seem to have settled on the idea that it really happened, but that it wasn't really rape, because Oggy had been conditioned by his earlier victimhood. But what about the three girls? How do you describe their experience.
If you are a horde member you don't.
But they know very well that this is a paper-thin defence of the indefensible, as every reiteration of the story forces them to take positions similar to staunch catholics protecting an abusive priest.

What they are doing is quite literally rape-apology - excusing rape in particular circumstances - while all the while thinking that accusing others of being "rape apologists" is the ultimate weapon in their (inellectual?) artillery.

It all comes down to the question of whether you really think rape is a serious issue.
If you do then your actions should not reveal the opposite - that you think it's a trivial matter, like calling someone an fuckwit.
Nugent's recent spat with Myers is important here because it is reveals that Myers doesn't treat calling someone a rapist is anything other than a cheap insult to fling in anger at your online opponents.

The accusation that Nugent provides a haven for rapists was backed up by Myers with the assertion that Nugent allows slymepitters to comment on his site. Is there any way a reasonable person can read this as anything other than saying that slymepitters are rapists?
Both Ariel, latsot and Stephanie Zmear tied themselves up in knots trying to parse a different meaning out of Myers very clear words, with all of them coming across with about as much honest conviction as a Silvia Browne reading on a daytime talkshow.

This is a critical point for Myers, who is now desperate to avoid it.
We should not let him forget it.
He has trivialized rape and rape accusations by making a false rape accusation himself.
If he thinks slymepitters are rapists then he is morally bound to present the evidence to the authorities to ensure justice is done and the pitters in question (or is it all of us collecively?) are dealt with by the law.

Pitchguest

Post by Pitchguest »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Fuck! We've just been informed that Alicja's brother was killed last night in a car accident.

2014 really sucks!
Shit! Man. I'm really sorry. :(

GenerallyFading

Hello Dick Strawkins, thank you for your reply. What really concerns me is that someone came onto a site, said, "I have recovered memories" and everyone goes, "That's awful" rather than, "Are you sure that this happened?" It's tough love - someone needed to say to him at the time, "You need evidence that this actually happened" because otherwise they've, well, basically confirmed to him that his memories are real. Not only that, but that his actions are justified. What happens the next time he feels like raping someone but he knows it's wrong?

"It seems to me that this was an issue that should have been dealt with by Oggie and a therapist - not Oggie and the whole fucking internet - which is what posting this stuff on Pharyngula basically amounts to." - yes, this exactly. I have never been on a legitimate therapy forum where they didn't say, "This is NOT a substitute for therapy." Basically - anything like this, you would be told to seek professional help.

Too little time to cover everything I want to say, I need to start work, so to sum up :

I completely agree with you - if there were victims, they need justice. Rape is hugely serious. I admire MN for his dedication. I admire the Pit for their constant reminders that you should operate from a position of truth and evidence, not just (warped) opinion. I do feel for Ogvorbis, I do believe that he was raped and his attackers should also face justice but I don't agree he can't be held accountable somewhat in the sense that he knew it was wrong (if it happened). Weren't the Jamie Bulger murderers about that age?

My condolences to Alicja.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:Fuck! We've just been informed that Alicja's brother was killed last night in a car accident.

2014 really sucks!
Sorry to hear that Phil.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

piero wrote:
Steersman said:
No, it is more a question of why those responses occur, and whether there is any “reasonable” justification for them. Many if not most of you here are apparently quite ready to insist that Myers and company are seriously off the wall and out to lunch for claiming that insulting one woman with the terms “cunt” or “twat” is an egregious insult of all women, and which thereby qualifies as sexism – a central convention or article of faith in “The Myers Doctrine (tm)”. However most seem to balk at the suggestion, the argument, that a similar and analogous claim – i.e., that insulting one person with “nigger” or with “cheese-eating surrender monkey” qualifies as racism or as an ethnic slur – is similarly, no more and no less, off the wall and out to lunch for the same reasons – most if not all of which probably have their roots, or a reasonable explanation, in neurology, notably mirror neurons.
I'll probably regret this, but I'd like to clarify my position re the twat-nigger incommensurability theorem.

Nigger is definitely, certainly, unequivocally offensive. It is offensive because it is used to denigrate the people it denotes. The word denotes "dark-skinned people" and connotes "inferior because of skin colour." Hence, its connotation and denotation belong to the same realm of meaning: skin colour and concomitant characteristics of skin colour

If twat was used as a vulgar equivalent of "woman" then it would be offensive, just like chick or bird. Chick and bird are offensive because they denote "woman" but connote "fragile, powerless, good for sex and little else." Again, note that their connotation and denotation belong to the same realm of meaning: biological sex and concomitant characteristics of biological sex.

But twat is not used in that way, at least not always: the word denotes female genitalia, but it connotes something completely unrelated, namely "a foolish or despicable person." In fact, the separation between connotation and denotation is so wide that we could refer to twat-1 and twat-2 as separate words which just happen to be homonyms, like prick-1 ("puncture"), prick-2 ("penis") and prick-3 ("obnoxious or despicable man").

Twat can be used offensively in the sense of twat-3 = "a girl or woman considered sexually," but I'll ignore that usage because we are mostly concerned with twat-1 and twat-2. It should be borne in mind, however, that addressing a woman as a twat could give rise to misunderstandings, depending on context. But calling a man a twat lends itself to no such misunderstanding.

So, the whole discussion concerning synecdoche is, in my opinion, misplaced, because it only applies to twat-3.
In the sealed knot Twat comes with a 4th meaning. To hit someone on the battlefield. As in "we twatted Machester's good and proper there" or "Right lads, up sticks and twat the bastards".

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

piero wrote:
Steersman said:
No, it is more a question of why those responses occur, and whether there is any “reasonable” justification for them. Many if not most of you here are apparently quite ready to insist that Myers and company are seriously off the wall and out to lunch for claiming that insulting one woman with the terms “cunt” or “twat” is an egregious insult of all women, and which thereby qualifies as sexism – a central convention or article of faith in “The Myers Doctrine (tm)”. However most seem to balk at the suggestion, the argument, that a similar and analogous claim – i.e., that insulting one person with “nigger” or with “cheese-eating surrender monkey” qualifies as racism or as an ethnic slur – is similarly, no more and no less, off the wall and out to lunch for the same reasons – most if not all of which probably have their roots, or a reasonable explanation, in neurology, notably mirror neurons.
I'll probably regret this, but I'd like to clarify my position re the twat-nigger incommensurability theorem.

Nigger is definitely, certainly, unequivocally offensive. It is offensive because it is used to denigrate the people it denotes. The word denotes "dark-skinned people" and connotes "inferior because of skin colour." Hence, its connotation and denotation belong to the same realm of meaning: skin colour and concomitant characteristics of skin colour

If twat was used as a vulgar equivalent of "woman" then it would be offensive, just like chick or bird. Chick and bird are offensive because they denote "woman" but connote "fragile, powerless, good for sex and little else." Again, note that their connotation and denotation belong to the same realm of meaning: biological sex and concomitant characteristics of biological sex.

But twat is not used in that way, at least not always: the word denotes female genitalia, but it connotes something completely unrelated, namely "a foolish or despicable person." In fact, the separation between connotation and denotation is so wide that we could refer to twat-1 and twat-2 as separate words which just happen to be homonyms, like prick-1 ("puncture"), prick-2 ("penis") and prick-3 ("obnoxious or despicable man").

Twat can be used offensively in the sense of twat-3 = "a girl or woman considered sexually," but I'll ignore that usage because we are mostly concerned with twat-1 and twat-2. It should be borne in mind, however, that addressing a woman as a twat could give rise to misunderstandings, depending on context. But calling a man a twat lends itself to no such misunderstanding.

So, the whole discussion concerning synecdoche is, in my opinion, misplaced, because it only applies to twat-3.
In the sealed knot Twat comes with a 4th meaning. To hit someone on the battlefield. As in "we twatted Manchester's good and proper there" or "Right lads, up sticks and twat the bastards".

kunda

Post by kunda »

Hello Pit, I'm not new but haven't logged in in about a year or so (no links/lynx necessary). I have made a daily habit of reading this site and staying on top of the mounting 'momentum' against the excesses of....whatever 'this' is (sjw, cultural marxism, feminism on PCP, etc.)
I just want to send out a thanks to everybody here who has taken the time to document and clearly establish this pattern of behavior/mindset, which it seems, is finally being noticed by people in positions of influence (Mick Nugent, Sam Harris, Peter Boghossian, etc.). The fact that it's a 'pattern' of behavior vs. a specific instance is IMO why it's so difficult to call it out. From my time reading the Pit the one thing I always want to suggest to FtB/Skepchick types is: seriously...read the Slymepit for a solid two weeks, and then get back to me about your overall impression. Of course, I understand that that is asking a lot of anyone with a life who is already busy blogging away supporting a pre-existing narrative.
And this is what drives me so crazy! The insanity of SJW's (whatever the term), is only going to be recognized if you back up, take a larger view of the situation and see the flaws in this line of thinking. Of course, that's not what things like Twitter and the mainstream media thrive on.
That's what's always clarified things for me...I can take the basic premises of Social Justice (no problem there!) but then I just look at the strange results that we're seeing now (casual demonization of white men, gamers, cis...etc) and I go...WAIT...WTF just happened? Somewhere in there something went wrong...and THAT is where is the Slymepit is absolutely fucking amazing.
I have a lot of well-developed thoughts/feelings about all of this, too much to share/articulate right now.

TL,DR: Thanks Slymepit, for making it easy to see this pattern, which hopefully is starting to get some well-deserved pushback.

Dick Strawkins

Post by Dick Strawkins »

2014 really sucks!
Sorry to hear that Phil, condolences to Alicja.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Sorry for your loss, Phil. My condolences to Alicja.
They seem to have settled on the idea that it really happened, but that it wasn't really rape, because Oggy had been conditioned by his earlier victimhood.
This is the big issue about FTB and Ogbvorbis. They are saying that child rape is excused if it's committed by a minor who was abused and now feels sorry for it. Ogvorbis' young age when he committed the crime and his previous abuse are serious extenuating circumstances, and his process of recovery should be dealt with through therapy, not through the justice system. However his history of abuse doesn't excuse his acts (otherwise all abusers with a history of abuse should deserve the same treatment). His young age at the time of the crime doesn't mean that he can be talked about as if he were just a victim (otherwise children who kill other children should be called "victims" too).

Someone on FTB compared Ogvorbis to a child soldier trained to kill. While I don't think that this analogy holds water (sexual abuse doesn't work like military training and ideological brainwashing) even if it were completely valid child soldiers may need psychological help more than criminal prosecution, but this doesn't mean that the people they killed are less dead, or that the relatives of the people they killed don't deserve some kind of justice.

I don't think that Oggy should be punished, but I don't think that he should celebrated as a heroic martyr as FTB does, either.
while all the while thinking that accusing others of being "rape apologists" is the ultimate weapon in their (intellectual?) artillery.
The worst thing is that they can call people "rape apologists" simply for asking them to report their accusations to the police. Because that's what rape apologists do, am I right? Just like all those people who wanted to prosecute the Catholic priests who sexually abused children. Bunch of child rape apologists.
It all comes down to the question of whether you really think rape is a serious issue.
If you do then your actions should not reveal the opposite - that you think it's a trivial matter, like calling someone an fuckwit.
Nugent's recent spat with Myers is important here because it is reveals that Myers doesn't treat calling someone a rapist is anything other than a cheap insult to fling in anger at your online opponents.
The SJWs are trivializing rape with their blase attitude about calling anyone a rapist. Doing so they're actually hurting victims of rape, because they make it harder for them to be believed.

In other words, according to their own standards PZ Myers and his ilk are rape apologists and contribute to rape culture far more than people who simply ask for evidence. PZ, don't do that.

Oglebart

Post by Oglebart »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
I don't think that anyone here feels that a 12 or 13 year old Ogvorbis is as culpable as an adult for this action (if it really occurred - recovered memories and all that) but I think it should be recognized that the three girls were innocent victims in this scenario and there appears to be zero evidence of any compassion towards them from the Pharyngulite horde.

It seems to me that this was an issue that should have been dealt with by Oggie and a therapist - not Oggie and the whole fucking internet - which is what posting this stuff on Pharyngula basically amounts to.
Good post Dick, but these parts are particularly important in my view, I would be interested to see if anyone has ever asked about the welfare of the victims on FTB, they seems to have been completely overlooked and the only reaction to Ogvorbis when he brings it up is to be told how wonderful he is now, it's not his fault, etc. It's the most blatant hypocrisy and proves how strong the-group dynamic is.

I still think it's bullshit though, the time when Oggie posted on a subject about rape and then decided that he couldn't face it and tailed off the sentence leaving a word unfinished, like thi....

That's some good trolling I reckon :clap:

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Dick Strawkins wrote:There is no easy solution to this dilemma. I don't think Ogvorbis should be prosecuted or go to jail - there is likely to be no evidence available and it is probably way past the statute of limitations (not to mention the problem of how you deal with charging an adult for the crime committed by a child several decades previously.)
To me it is simple. Identify the jurisdiction where it occurred and report the online confession to their police & prosecutor. If it is past their statute of limitations, then so be it, those are their laws. As far as lack of evidence, you have his own confession. I would think that would be pretty good for a judge or jury. But I seriously doubt that this would be a first for a serious crime committed by a pre-teen being prosecuted later in life.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:There is no easy solution to this dilemma. I don't think Ogvorbis should be prosecuted or go to jail - there is likely to be no evidence available and it is probably way past the statute of limitations (not to mention the problem of how you deal with charging an adult for the crime committed by a child several decades previously.)
To me it is simple. Identify the jurisdiction where it occurred and report the online confession to their police & prosecutor. If it is past their statute of limitations, then so be it, those are their laws. As far as lack of evidence, you have his own confession. I would think that would be pretty good for a judge or jury. But I seriously doubt that this would be a first for a serious crime committed by a pre-teen being prosecuted later in life.
I think we should be sure as to whether he did these things or not first. Personally I think he is just a trolly little shit and therefore I don't see a need to call the police. I don't believe him on these grounds. He has admitted it on a public forum. If you steal, no one cares. If you kill, on one cares. You so much as touch a hair on a child's head the whole world loses it's shit and you are lynched out of town. It is a stigma that will never leave you wherever you go. Everyone knows this to be the case and therefore if Oggie was in fact guilty of this crime he would more than likely never mention it due to the possible blow back such as what you are describing. The last thing he would want is for the police to knock on his door and drag him away. It would destroy his entire life whether he is found guilty or not. Association with such a crime is enough for the shit to stick. Until we can ascertain whether he was genuine or just a troll then my view is we should do nothing. Destruction of a persons life because they are trolling you is not a risk I am willing to take.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

2014 really sucks!
Oh shit!
My thoughts are with both of you.

Brive1987

Post by Brive1987 »

jimthepleb wrote:

2014 really sucks!
Oh shit!
My thoughts are with both of you.
Shit, I didn't see this.

That's terrible. I'm very sorry.

JackSkeptic

Post by JackSkeptic »

You mean the FT has been Myers all the time? Our glorious leader is actually the glorious has been? Let it be so.

TedDahlberg

Post by TedDahlberg »

katamari Damassi wrote:
TedDahlberg wrote:Katamari isn't wrong, but I still liked it a lot. Some of the science did seem a little needlessly iffy (not counting the bits that were obviously on the fiction side of science fiction), and there was a plot element that seemed an unusually stupid gamble on the part of a few characters, but overall it was "proper" science fiction that explored some interesting ideas (although Katamari is right that it's not nearly as profound as it thinks it is). I love the pulpy action kind of science fiction too, but the more sedate style of Clarke and Asimov is too rare in movies. I'll take what I can get.
A better hard science sic-fi movie is Europa Report. If you haven't seen it, check it out. It's a low budget indie and the format is mockumentary, so it's not spectacular the way Interstellar is, but it has very realistic special effects, decent performances, and it's well written. I was impressed how it avoided a lot of SF cliches.

I also just saw Snowpiercer which I think is worth seeing. Pretty much any movie with Tilda Swinton is worth seeing IMO. It's more sic-fantasy and it strangely reminds me of the game Bioshock even though there's no genetic engineering component to the plot.

And I re-watched Edge of Tomorrow, and I still like it. A lot of movies don't hold up to a second viewing. I also accept that I'm susceptible to movie hype, so I know if I see a movie near its opening day it colors my opinion of it. Usually it raises my expectations and I'm disappointed but sometimes I get swept up in the hype and think the film is better than it is.
Thanks, will check out Europa Report. And saw last night that Snowpiercer is on Netflix, so I'm going to give that a go as well.

Edge of Tomorrow surprised me, I was expecting empty action but it was really good. Made me want to read the book. And it was cool seeing the exosuits, they might as well have been plucked straight out of the pages of Starship Troopers.

jimthepleb

Post by jimthepleb »

Brive do you remember rule one of the pit?

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:I think we should be sure as to whether he did these things or not first.
I don't view myself with the necessary skills or authority to properly investigate. That is a job for the authorities.
Konrad_Cruze wrote:Personally I think he is just a trolly little shit and therefore I don't see a need to call the police.
I don't think he is just trolling. That or he is pulling one hell of a long con who has too much linkage to his person identity.
Konrad_Cruze wrote:I don't believe him on these grounds. He has admitted it on a public forum. If you steal, no one cares. If you kill, on one cares. You so much as touch a hair on a child's head the whole world loses it's shit and you are lynched out of town. It is a stigma that will never leave you wherever you go. Everyone knows this to be the case and therefore if Oggie was in fact guilty of this crime he would more than likely never mention it due to the possible blow back such as what you are describing.
Criminals do on occasion admit serious crimes, even where the dead body is, online. He is getting a hugbox out of it. I swear their minds are seriously jiggered over there. And I suspect he believes it is past the statute of limitations, which may very well be the case, but that is up for the police & prosecutor to decide. Since the Catholic priest pedo issue, the ground rules have changed on what prosecutors are willing to go after. I am not a lawyer, so it is up to them.
Konrad_Cruze wrote:The last thing he would want is for the police to knock on his door and drag him away.
They wouldn't do that unless it was within the statue of limitations. And for a crime this old IF it was within the statute of limitations, I suspect they would take him in for questioning, not necessarily an arrest unless they found compelling evidence of a crime.
Konrad_Cruze wrote:It would destroy his entire life whether he is found guilty or not. Association with such a crime is enough for the shit to stick.
Crimes committed by juveniles are treated differently from adults in the US. If within the statute, everything would be kept sealed. The exception to this would be if he was found guilty and put on an offender registry.

The crux of our disagreement is that you think it is more likely that he is trolling, I think it is more likely that he is telling the truth.

SoylentAtheist

Post by SoylentAtheist »

Well what do you expect when you announce to the world that uomaLay angeschay oilyay atyay thway iffyJay ubeLay orfay ayay ivinglay.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

jimthepleb wrote:Brive do you remember rule one of the pit?

No one cares about rule one. Rule 34 is the only important rule there is.

http://i.imgur.com/NXkj80S.jpg

tina

Post by tina »

2014 really sucks!
Oh Phil..I'm so sorry..what a shit deal, many condolences to you and all the family. Fuck!

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

SoylentAtheist wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:I think we should be sure as to whether he did these things or not first.
I don't view myself with the necessary skills or authority to properly investigate. That is a job for the authorities.
Konrad_Cruze wrote:Personally I think he is just a trolly little shit and therefore I don't see a need to call the police.
I don't think he is just trolling. That or he is pulling one hell of a long con who has too much linkage to his person identity.
Konrad_Cruze wrote:I don't believe him on these grounds. He has admitted it on a public forum. If you steal, no one cares. If you kill, on one cares. You so much as touch a hair on a child's head the whole world loses it's shit and you are lynched out of town. It is a stigma that will never leave you wherever you go. Everyone knows this to be the case and therefore if Oggie was in fact guilty of this crime he would more than likely never mention it due to the possible blow back such as what you are describing.
Criminals do on occasion admit serious crimes, even where the dead body is, online. He is getting a hugbox out of it. I swear their minds are seriously jiggered over there. And I suspect he believes it is past the statute of limitations, which may very well be the case, but that is up for the police & prosecutor to decide. Since the Catholic priest pedo issue, the ground rules have changed on what prosecutors are willing to go after. I am not a lawyer, so it is up to them.
Konrad_Cruze wrote:The last thing he would want is for the police to knock on his door and drag him away.
They wouldn't do that unless it was within the statue of limitations. And for a crime this old IF it was within the statute of limitations, I suspect they would take him in for questioning, not necessarily an arrest unless they found compelling evidence of a crime.
Konrad_Cruze wrote:It would destroy his entire life whether he is found guilty or not. Association with such a crime is enough for the shit to stick.
Crimes committed by juveniles are treated differently from adults in the US. If within the statute, everything would be kept sealed. The exception to this would be if he was found guilty and put on an offender registry.

The crux of our disagreement is that you think it is more likely that he is trolling, I think it is more likely that he is telling the truth.
I agree. I just can't see Oggie taking the risk. Sure he is getting all the non contact tugs he could wish for, which in and of itself is deplorable, but there was no way of knowing that this would be the reaction he would get. I do think he is playing the long game and acting as a human shield. Trying to take some of the heat of the others in the horde while we foam at the mouth about Oggie.

I don't think we should try to investigate ourselves but I don't think we have enough info to go on. Should we have Oggie pulled into the police station for questioning? I don't think we should. Sure it would put the shits up Oggie but what about his family. If they ever find out why he was questioned it could tear them apart even if he was just trolling. All these sorts of cases have knock on effect and can hurt not just he target i.e Oggie but also those around him. Yes I do think it is more likely he is trolling however I also feel that we should reserve judgement until we can positively say one way or another. As I said, potentially destroying someone's life because they were trolling me/you is not a risk I am will to take YMMV

Phil_Giordana_FCD
That's All Folks
That's All Folks

Post by Phil_Giordana_FCD »

It's not our role to go after Oggie. We are not vigilantes, we are archivers.

Thanks for the sympathies to those who offered them. We're now planning Ali's trip to Poland for the funeral. An autopsy has been requested, so we have no idea when it will be.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

And he's back.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

comhcinc wrote:And he's back.
Any news on why he was suspended. Officially that is. We know it happened because he went against SJWs.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Konrad_Cruze wrote:
Any news on why he was suspended. Officially that is. We know it happened because he went against SJWs.
Nope and I doubt we will ever get a real answer. Twitter is not very transparent. See for yourself.

https://twitter.com/Nero

I am sure that I have said much more offensive things.

Konrad_Cruze

Post by Konrad_Cruze »

comhcinc wrote:
Konrad_Cruze wrote:
Nope and I doubt we will ever get a real answer. Twitter is not very transparent. See for yourself.

https://twitter.com/Nero

I am sure that I have said much more offensive things.
We all know Latsot has

GenerallyFading

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It's not our role to go after Oggie. We are not vigilantes, we are archivers.
Yes, absolutely. I would just be interested in reading the post and the posts afterwards to know how the 'confession' was handled - I'll have a look in a moment, although I'm worried I'll wander onto some sites which work might not like.

I do feel though that for all their supposed compassion for Ogvorbis, that they did the worst possible thing to him by agreeing with his 'memories'. I am fairly resolved that he actually did not commit the rape, if he only has memories to go by, but then is this individual now living with fake memories because no one on FtB pointed out that they were probably not very reliable? And anytime anyone suggests that it's not true or that he should discuss them elsewhere, they closer ranks/shut people up/ tell him to stop listening? It's that part of the story I am missing, and if that is what they did, I think that is evil.

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Phil_Giordana_FCD wrote:It's not our role to go after Oggie. We are not vigilantes, we are archivers.

Thanks for the sympathies to those who offered them. We're now planning Ali's trip to Poland for the funeral. An autopsy has been requested, so we have no idea when it will be.
My commiserations.

Ape+lust
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by Ape+lust »

Cripes, it's been a hella couple of years, Phil. I'm so sorry to hear about this. My condolences to you and Ali.