Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Old subthreads
jimthepleb

Re: Nerds. Nerds EVERYWHERE...

Post by jimthepleb »

Yes Becky it is strange that ANYONE should waste time on listening to you.

James Caruthers

Post by James Caruthers »

Barael wrote:http://thenerdfem.tumblr.com/post/10283 ... -shows-the

So...
it doesn’t matter if I said yes
it doesn’t matter if I initiated
it doesn’t matter if I wasn’t drunk
it doesn’t matter if I went along with it
it doesn’t matter if I acted like everything was normal when it happened
Wow. I wonder if there's anyone anywhere who's ever had sex and ISN'T a rapist in SJW jurisprudence.
"All people men are rapists!"

Imagine if a man used the same logic against a woman who seduced him.

What's that? Wombyn can't seduce men? Oh right, I forgot, women are blameless, innocent children with no sexual desires and certainly no ability to act on them to initiate sexual encounters.

Anyway, sons and daughters of Brodin, I go to bed now. The time has come to rep my covers over my head and dream of gains. I leave you with this tale of bravery and cardio from the fitacceptance reddit.
Brothers and swolesisters, I seek solace and guidance, for today my earnest prayers were soiled by Broki. Please bear with me, for this tale requires telling in full.

Once more did Brodin squat the sun past the horizon, and so once more did a day of thankful worship begin. But even the depth of His squat did not distract Broki from his evil pursuits, and so lately he has been sucking the very gain-bestowing warmth from the sun. Beneath his shrouds of darkness, Broki seeks to chill our blood, for no pump can be had without warm blood pulsing through the veins.

And so at the time of my evening prayers my breath fogged the air, my bones were chill, and my mental pump was diminished. But still my mind was set, for is it not written, and recited every night, that "[...] thy PR comes, thy lifts be done, [...]"[1]?

But alas, Broki had more in store for me this fateful evening. My usual carriage with powers of more horses than bears contemplation was unavailable to me. And so I was faced with a horrible dilemma. A dilemma so terrible that even now, merely thinking about it has me flexing my eyelids in sets of 5 to preserve tear-shaped gainz:

If I were to get to the temple to pray today, I would have to use my two-wheeled cardio machine. Brothers and sisters, please brace yourselves as I give you this trigger warning; in order to lift, I was forced to do cardio.

No amount of squats had prepared me to shoulder such a burdensome thought, and so at the very realisation I collapsed on the floor, lying unmoving. I was aghast, bewildered, betrayed. Why would Brodin allow such sacrilege? Was He testing my resolve?

I know not how much time passed, but it was in that chaotic state of mind that I suddenly had a realisation. Did Brodin not himself mount Sleipnir, 8-legged beast of cardio, true spawn of Broki? Did Brodin not use this creature of intended evil for his own gainz? Perhaps this turn of events was not the hands of Broki, but those of Brodin instead, intervening on the behalf of this humbled swoldier, accepting him with the message that he, like all swoldiers, were made in His image?

With hopes rising in my spirit, I realised that my qualms ultimately boiled down to the question: to lift, or not to lift? And that is no contestation. And so I resolved to ride like Brodin himself, using each stride to battle the foul weather of Broki, shedding each clinging tendon of cold from my skin even as I warmed up my trunks for squats so heavy and deep that even Brodin would be proud.

And so I arrived at the holy temple, drenched in a mixture of sweat and tears. For while acting in Brodins image, this vessel was not made for cardio, and in spite of the necessity, the abuse made me hang my head in shame. But into the temple I went, and there I took to the squat with a vengeance. I piled plates upon plates on the bar, and with legs like fire I prayed. I prayed until dark spots clouded my vision, and while it might have been my imagination, I believe that within those dark spots I was honoured with a glimpse into Swolhalla.

Please lend me your wisdom, brothers and sisters. Have I interpreted the meaning of Brodin correctly? Could I have done anything differently in this trial of hardship? Was my foul cardio truly sinful, or was it indeed a necessary evil?

And please lend me your crushing embrace, for I fear this ordeal has torn a hole in my being that no amount of whey may fill.

May this tale leave us all the wiser, that we never miss a day of prayer regardless of the circumstances.

Lift heavy, and lift well.

Wheymen.

Kirbmarc

Post by Kirbmarc »

Wow. I wonder if there's anyone anywhere who's ever had sex and ISN'T a rapist in SJW jurisprudence.
PZ Myers and Jason Thibeault.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

jugheadnaut wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Lumbersexuals my ass. They are appropriating lumberjackets and other plaid flannels from Canadians. This is not a costume. This is who I am, etc. They are going to ruin my plaid shirt collection by making it a fad. I was going to go out and look for a couple of new lumberjackets too. My old ones were thrown out in tatters years ago.

[youtube]GsgVspgy184[/youtube]
Take off, hoser! Plaid shirts already were a fad during the grunge era. But I suppose they can be re-fadded.

I remember when I moved from Toronto to Oregon in the early '90s most teenagers there were wearing multi-layered plaid flannel. What was really funny is that spandex bike shorts were also in fashion, albeit on their way out, and I would occasionally see some ninny combining bike shorts with a plaid flannel shirt. I thought that look was gone forever until I came across this picture of Lady Gaga:

http://cdn.yournextshoes.com/wp-content ... armont.jpg

It sort of works, at least compared to other Lady Gaga 'fashions', but only because the top almost fully covers the spandex shorts.
RIP Flannel Plaids. It's gone mainstream, and the classic red lumberjacket will never again be known affectionately as a 'Scarborough Dinner Jacket'. :(

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

BarnOwl wrote:
Scented Nectar wrote: Lumbersexuals my ass. They are appropriating lumberjackets and other plaid flannels from Canadians. This is not a costume. This is who I am, etc. They are going to ruin my plaid shirt collection by making it a fad. I was going to go out and look for a couple of new lumberjackets too. My old ones were thrown out in tatters years ago.
Pffft. I wore plaid flannel shirts and a CPO jacket in the 70s and 80s, when they were still totally uncool. Just ordered a flannel shirt from Duluth Trading Co., because it looked like a great thing to wear when working in the yard or out at the boarding stable.
I want everything at that store! :) Never heard of it before, but it's now in my shopping bookmarks.

Cliché Guevara

Post by Cliché Guevara »

it's pretty simple, really
“Social justice” is an awkward term for an immensely important project, perhaps the most important project, which is to make the world a more equitable, fair, and compassionate place. But the project for social justice has been captured by an elite strata of post-collegiate, digitally-enabled children of privilege, who do not pursue that project as an end, but rather use it as a means with which to compete, socially and professionally, with each other. In that use, they value not speech or actions that actually result in a better world, but rather those that result in greater social reward, which in the digital world is obvious and explicit. That means that they prefer engagement that creates a) outrage and b) jokes, rather than engagement that leads to positive change. In this disregard for actual political success, they reveal their own privilege, as it’s only the privileged who could ever have so little regard for actual, material progress. As long as they are allowed to co-opt the movement for social justice for their own personal aggrandizement, the world will not improve, not for women, people of color, gay and transgender people, or the poor.

Service Dog

Post by Service Dog »

Dick Strawkins wrote:
When Jamie was little he told his parents he wanted to be a comedian when he grows up.
And, when he grows up, maybe he will. :rimshot:

TheMan

Post by TheMan »

I crawled into bed looking for a decent read and there were only fives posts. What's up folks? I demand more entertainment!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Service Dog wrote:
Dick Strawkins wrote:
When Jamie was little he told his parents he wanted to be a comedian when he grows up.
And, when he grows up, maybe he will. :rimshot:
I've seen some of his comedy on YouTube before I found out he was some SJW darling. He's not very funny.

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

In which Avicenna explains that medicine is hard work, maybe even moreso than rocket science.
http://www.freezepage.com/1416486803LWTTHFHPEL
Avicenna wrote:Since some Slymepitters assume I sit around all day and simply write, I figured I should point out that a lack of responses indicates I am off doing work. If one pays attention to the “About” section of my blog, you may realise I have a day job. One that requires a lot of concentration.
Avicenna wrote:John Greg? You may not be aware of this but Medicine works on the scientific principle too. You may be unaware of this but medicine is also a rather hard subject. After all? It’s one thing to be able to fix a rocket. It’s an entirely different thing to fix one while it is still working. Through the exhaust. Yes yes. I know you and your slymepit chumps enjoy claiming that I am not a real doctor or that it must be easy cause I am SOOO STUPID.
Avicenna wrote:But it is a competitive field with lots of knowledge and skills that takes a long time to acquire.
Avicenna wrote:Now I have worked in science and I have worked in medicine. Medicine is no walk in the park as you may have heard. I don’t know? Maybe you live under a rock and have forgotten this but Medicine is Hard. There are no special snowflakes in Medicine either. You got 36 hours? You do 36 hours.
In the first comment we are reminded to check the About Me page (which has been co-opted for the purpose of online panhandling, BTW) in order to confirm that this person has a day job. Whereas one of the first things it says on that page is "I don't have a job."
Donate
Why do I ask for Donations?

I don’t have a job. I literally am in full time education. Yes, it involves working for free and helping people but charity is what you do when you do it for the sake of others. I have the ulterior benefit of learning the art of medicine. The blog does get me some money but it’s a pittance. I make roughly a dollar per day from the blog and that at the moment is my sole income.

This money goes a long way to making my life comfortable. It’s not essential, it’s just that it provides me with spending money for luxuries. Things like a meal at a restaurant once in a week or time with my girlfriend.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

CuntajusRationality

Post by CuntajusRationality »

Brive1987 wrote:I'd blush too.

http://i.imgur.com/jzJ6lRH.jpg
Is that Matt Dillahunty in the background (top left corner)?

Ericb

Post by Ericb »

deLurch wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Is there more info on RW getting mobbed by a Chinese school girl rent a crowd. Wtf. It's base level Blade Runner.
Just this: And this:

Smug Western barbarian

Diva Ex Machina

Post by Diva Ex Machina »

Statement from the American Astronomical Society Regarding #Shirtstorm / #Shirtgate
The past few days have seen extensive international discussion of an incident (known online as #shirtstorm or #shirtgate) in which a participant in a European Space Agency media conference wore a shirt with sexualized images of gun-toting women and made an unfortunate remark comparing the featured spacecraft to a woman. Viewers responded critically to these inappropriate statements, especially jarring in such a highly visible setting (one in which very few women appeared), and the scientist apologized sincerely. But in the meantime, unacceptable abuse has been directed toward the critics, from criticism of "over-active feminism" to personal insults and more dire threats.

We wish to express our support for members of the community who rightly brought this issue to the fore, and we condemn the unreasonable attacks they experienced as a result, which caused deep distress in our community. We do appreciate the scientist's sincere and unqualified apology.
Note the sly insinuation that ESA discriminates against women.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Diva Ex Machina wrote:Statement from the American Astronomical Society Regarding #Shirtstorm / #Shirtgate
The past few days have seen extensive international discussion of an incident (known online as #shirtstorm or #shirtgate) in which a participant in a European Space Agency media conference wore a shirt with sexualized images of gun-toting women and made an unfortunate remark comparing the featured spacecraft to a woman. Viewers responded critically to these inappropriate statements, especially jarring in such a highly visible setting (one in which very few women appeared), and the scientist apologized sincerely. But in the meantime, unacceptable abuse has been directed toward the critics, from criticism of "over-active feminism" to personal insults and more dire threats.

We wish to express our support for members of the community who rightly brought this issue to the fore, and we condemn the unreasonable attacks they experienced as a result, which caused deep distress in our community. We do appreciate the scientist's sincere and unqualified apology.

It's kinda gotten like the fictional idea of high school where the football teams goes around bullying people and the school protects the team if anyone speaks out against them.

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

KiwiInOz wrote:
For the love of god, no.

http://envisionoptical.com.au/wp-conten ... -fresh.jpg
When even your e.coli get swole: bro.coli

fuzzy
Pit Art Master
Pit Art Master

Post by fuzzy »

deLurch wrote: All over a trip to a Natural Foods store in the campus area?
New venue this year, at a Ramada Inn a few miles north of campus/downtown area.

Post by Guest »

Brive1987 wrote:Actually you all have PZ wrong. He is very concerned about online anonymity.

You see, it's a matter of principle.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RnzlAX7.jpg
"But the lurkers all agree with me" is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Apparently they can no longer be bothered to pharyngulate polls either.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Diva Ex Machina

Post by Diva Ex Machina »

And of course all posts criticising the statement were deleted within hours.

Lsuoma
Fascist Tit

Post by Lsuoma »

Diva Ex Machina wrote:
Only one there now, from 9 minutes ago:
Zero comments? Wow, you think someone would have something to say about this.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Lsuoma wrote:
Diva Ex Machina wrote:
Never saw that coming.
"The deletion of comments under any post about feminism justify the need to delete feminism"

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Lsuoma wrote:
Diva Ex Machina wrote:
I wonder how long that will stay up

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

I dreamed last night that I turned Jen McCreight into a Trakehner, and we…well, you don’t need to know, (but her lead changes were sublime!)

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Why don't they just keep comments closed?

Matt Cavanaugh

Post by Matt Cavanaugh »

Seeing as vegans have no sense of humor, I don't see how one could make a living as a comedian. :bjarte:

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:
Diva Ex Machina wrote:Statement from the American Astronomical Society Regarding #Shirtstorm / #Shirtgate

It's kinda gotten like the fictional idea of high school where the football teams goes around bullying people and the school protects the team if anyone speaks out against them.
The AAS got this totally right in my opinion. The shirt was a poor choice. The guy apologized sincerely. Everyone needs to go do something useful now.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:Why don't they just keep comments closed?
My guess would be that either A. they assumed it would be no blow back and or B. It is just part of the page code to have comments and whoever posted it doesn't know how to turn it off.

jugheadnaut

Post by jugheadnaut »

Scented Nectar wrote:[
RIP Flannel Plaids. It's gone mainstream, and the classic red lumberjacket will never again be known affectionately as a 'Scarborough Dinner Jacket'. :(
But the Canadian Tuxedo lives on!

http://www.laineygossip.com/Content/ima ... 0%2004.jpg

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

John D wrote:The AAS got this totally right in my opinion. The shirt was a poor choice. The guy apologized sincerely. Everyone needs to go do something useful now.
I think that they came close, but just missed. The one change I would have made was the bit about abuse against those who criticized the shirt; this should have been replaced with a statement against abuse related to the issue, instead, as the abuse went both ways.

But, overall, the balance between a mild rebuke of Taylor and an acceptance of his apology was great.

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:
My guess would be that either A. they assumed it would be no blow back and or B. It is just part of the page code to have comments and whoever posted it doesn't know how to turn it off.
They just turned off the comments.... and this is a good thing in my opinion. The only way to get this to settle down is to not allow all the rage posters... on both sides. Half the time the internet is wonderful... and half the time it is a shit hole. Shirtstorm is a perfect example of the internet being a shit hole.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John D wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
They just turned off the comments.... and this is a good thing in my opinion. The only way to get this to settle down is to not allow all the rage posters... on both sides. Half the time the internet is wonderful... and half the time it is a shit hole. Shirtstorm is a perfect example of the internet being a shit hole.
I see you are a big fan of free speech zones.

Scented Nectar

Post by Scented Nectar »

another lurker wrote:
piginthecity wrote:
I occasionally get a little impatient with American women who complain of being inappropriately touched by the water cooler or invited for coffee or something which I think is, by comparison, relatively trivial,” he (Dawkins) said.
This may have been quoted out of context but it's an annoyingly badly worded thing for him to say. 'Inappropriate touching' can mean anything from momentary elbow-grip to grabbing someone's ass, so while Dawkins was undoubtedly thinking of the former, it is clumsy to compare 'inappropriate touching' to a mere coffee invite.

Also there's a difference between a proportional complaint about a specific event which is made to the correct people by the actual person affected, which should not be treated with impatience, and the SJW style 'global complaint' made against entire demographics on behalf of other demographics and used to shout down more important issues.

When I was a teen I used to wash cars at the local dealership. I got along great with all of the employees - I was the only girl - and rude chatter, porn, oggling of hot female customers didn't bother me. In fact, I strived to make them blush with my ability to talk like a sailor. The only time I ever had trouble (other than a drunk co worker trying to rip off my shirt, but that's another story) was when one of the mechanics used to pinch my ass every time he walked by. Now *that* was unsettling. I didn't know what to do, out of fear of appearing rude, so I did nothing. Thankfully he was fired, so I never had to stand up and tell him, "hands off the merchandise".

Yes, I was very naive.
Pinch them back. Hard as you can. Pinchers don't seem to realize that it hurts rather than feel flirty or complimentary.

I don't think butt pinching happens nowadays as much as it used to decades ago. I may be wrong though. I hope I'm right though.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Scented Nectar wrote:]
Pinch them back. Hard as you can. Pinchers don't seem to realize that it hurts rather than feel flirty or complimentary.

I don't think butt pinching happens nowadays as much as it used to decades ago. I may be wrong though. I hope I'm right though.
That's why I am a groper. Don't want to hurt the ladies.

Clarence

Post by Clarence »

They should have kept silent. Even though I suspect they are merely using this as an excuse to pontificate at the ESA's expense.

1. Far as I know this guy wasn't a member of the AAS. He's European and belongs to the ESA.
2. There was never any official complaint brought against him. As far as big and professional organizations are concerned what is complained about in private can be settled in private, provided the law is not involved. One could argue 'public opinion' but the people who did the initial complaining were a vocal minority, and public opinion seems to be this was a tempest in a teapot.
3. As per 2, above, his coworkers had no problem with it.

I can't believe there are people here who think this is an appropriate use of the AAUs public platform. Even assuming the sexual harassment policies themselves have no problems and are uncontroversial (they need massive reforms in fact) the fact remains that no official complaint was brought to the attention of the affected organization - the ESA. The AAU arguably has no skin in this game.
But what they HAVE done is announce to any social justice bullies that they are bent over and lubed, and that their members will be thrown under the bus for little or nothing.
All they had to do was keep their mouths shut. I don't see how this statement is in any way, shape, or form a good idea.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Clarence wrote:All they had to do was keep their mouths shut. I don't see how this statement is in any way, shape, or form a good idea.
My comment was probably the last before they shut is all down. I agree with your last point (above). Here's what I wrote:
In general, I applaud the statement, especially the balance between the mild rebuke of Matt Taylor and the acceptance of his apology. The one place that I believe that you went wrong is in only criticizing those who abused the folks who raised the issue; many people who were upset by the shirt have been equally abusive to those who have questioned the importance of the entire issue. Your statement should have condemned abuse by anyone, regardless of which "side" of this issue that they are on.

Now please please drop it, as my only other criticism is that you should not have gotten involved in this at all.

dogen

Post by dogen »

Clarence wrote:

They should have kept silent. Even though I suspect they are merely using this as an excuse to pontificate at the ESA's expense.

1. Far as I know this guy wasn't a member of the AAS. He's European and belongs to the ESA.
2. There was never any official complaint brought against him. As far as big and professional organizations are concerned what is complained about in private can be settled in private, provided the law is not involved. One could argue 'public opinion' but the people who did the initial complaining were a vocal minority, and public opinion seems to be this was a tempest in a teapot.
3. As per 2, above, his coworkers had no problem with it.

I can't believe there are people here who think this is an appropriate use of the AAUs public platform. Even assuming the sexual harassment policies themselves have no problems and are uncontroversial (they need massive reforms in fact) the fact remains that no official complaint was brought to the attention of the affected organization - the ESA. The AAU arguably has no skin in this game.
But what they HAVE done is announce to any social justice bullies that they are bent over and lubed, and that their members will be thrown under the bus for little or nothing.
All they had to do was keep their mouths shut. I don't see how this statement is in any way, shape, or form a good idea.
Don't worry about the AAS. They've been an SJW haven for years now.

To be honest, I'm not sure I agree with their statement. As a fee-paying member, it doesn't reflect my viewpoint. In fact, it seems more like they are scoring cheap points off ESA. Why did they hav to say anything?

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:
I have no problem with free speech. I just don't think it is the duty of an organization to allow trolls and rabid idealogs to clog up their communications. The AAS should take the high road on this... and they have. Allowing the vitriol and stupidity to continue on their site is helpful to no one. There are too many rage posts already. If you wanna walk around with your dick in your hand go right ahead. Just don't tell the rest of us we MUST look at it!

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Guest wrote:
Brive1987 wrote:Actually you all have PZ wrong. He is very concerned about online anonymity.

You see, it's a matter of principle.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/RnzlAX7.jpg
"But the lurkers all agree with me" is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Apparently they can no longer be bothered to pharyngulate polls either.
Last time they tried, of that I'm aware of anyway, it was a dismal failure. It used to be he could get thousands upon thousands of people to skew a poll. Now, it's a blip.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Yeah, here it is:
P. Z. fails to Pharyngulate poll, is humiliated as cats win overwhelmingly (ergo a prize)

Even though P. Z. Myers seems to hate cats—at least judging by his frequent “anti-Caturday” posts—he owns at least one felid. It’s beyond me how one can hate an animal and yet own one (I weep for that moggie), and the man really should get a squid if he’s going to bang on like this.

At any rate, the bad news is that he tried to Pharyngulate the cats-vs.-dogs-vs.-babies poll, sending over his squidly minions to vote for . . . . none of the above!. But thanks to some judicious advertising next to his request, he became hoist with his own petard (h/t to alert reader Kevin for the screenshot):

http://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpre ... =754&h=522

Really, what chance did the man have with an adorable tabby kitten placed right next to his call for dissing cats? Indeed, his call was futile. The final result of the poll (well, a result that hasn’t changed much in the past two days) is this:

http://whyevolutionistrue.files.wordpre ... =354&h=238

Now let’s not be complacent, as the sycophantic horde of squidophiles keeps cuttling over to the site and voting for the last category. If you haven’t voted for cats yet, do so early and often (here). But for the nonce I think we’ve not only put kittehs on top, but soundly trounced the Pharyngulites, who are now creeping home with limp, soggy tentacles dragging behind.

The good news is that I will award a prize to one randomly-selected reader. On Monday, after judicious application of a random number generator, I’ll give the name of the lucky winner of an autographed copy of WEIT. The flyleaf will contain not only my signature, but my warm personal congratulations and a hand-drawn kitteh.

Thanks to all for participating, and vote if you haven’t yet. You can still enter the contest by voting the right way and noting your vote on this thread. You have till Sunday afternoon.
http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com ... o-a-prize/

Notice how few votes on the poll. If they took it to 20% from 6% and the poll was at 3700ish votes... That's make the horde responsible for about 16% of the 22% 'none' category which I'm roughly computing to be somewhere around 550 votes.

BTW, it ended like this:

Do You Prefer:

Adorable Pictures of Babies? 0%
Adorable Pictures of Puppies? 3%
Adorable Pictures of Kittens? 89%
All of the Above 1%
None of the Above 5%

Closed Total Votes: 33,660

I don't know how much came from Coyne. But it was an incredibly massive swing. Not only were the 'none's' crushed, but it also skewed the hell out of the puppies and babies from the overwhelming rush on kittens.

And I take that as a good sign. A sign that Myers really doesn't have the following he used to have. I remember crushing some polls by over 10K+ swings as thousands and thousands of people would rush to crush the poll. Now he's being crushed.

deLurch

Post by deLurch »

Tribble wrote:And I take that as a good sign. A sign that Myers really doesn't have the following he used to have. I remember crushing some polls by over 10K+ swings as thousands and thousands of people would rush to crush the poll. Now he's being crushed.
pz used to get some of his blog postings linked to various other locations. Now people have just stopped doing that & if they are posted, they get downvoted.

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Actually, there's something wrong with that poll, as a five-option forced-choice poll cannot have %s that sum to 96%, even after rounding. There must be a sixth option.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Scented Nectar wrote: Pinch them back. Hard as you can. Pinchers don't seem to realize that it hurts rather than feel flirty or complimentary.

My youngest daughter got her butt pinched by some guy in Norstrom's last summer. She was pretty mixed about it. She thought the guy was a jerk, BUT she was also happy about it. She felt that it was a compliment because the man thought her butt was worth pinching and, therefore, all those hours and hours and hours of squats and running to get the hard-body and well rounded glutes was worth it.

But she also said if he would up-skirted her she'd have called the cops.

Apparently I failed to teach her that nuance is to be avoided and, therefore, a butt-pinch on a clothed-butt is every bit as serious as a brutal, violent gang-rape that left her in the hospital and gave her life-long medical and psychological problems.

bhoytony

Post by bhoytony »

deLurch wrote:
Oh, God, please, please tell me that's a real life re-enactment of Battle Royale.

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:Actually, there's something wrong with that poll, as a five-option forced-choice poll cannot have %s that sum to 96%, even after rounding. There must be a sixth option.
The correct option is 'check your math.' It's 98 (89 + 5 + 3 + 1 + 0). The 2% difference looks like they're using a 5/4 rounding truncating off the first decimal without rounding from the second decimal. It's a common-enough 'young accountants' error.' One I made when I was a young accountant and I've seen many a young accountant make.

BTW, if you ever read the balance sheets of publicly traded companies you'll run into some rounding issues. Sometimes there's enough rounding, forced by AICPA presentation guild-lines, that the balance sheet doesn't balance. Drives me nuts. But the rules are the rules.

And it happens in large-partnership tax accounting all the time. Some rules prevent equity step-ups for certain partners, while others get them. So the assets are all stepped up in basis. The liabilities remain the same. But the capital accounts don't increase for all the partners so the formula:

A = L + OE

ends up

A > L + OE for SOME of the partners, while with others it is the proper A = L + OE

Accounting is a strange business sometimes.

Anyway, I ramble...

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Actually, Tribble, your shitlady daughter deserved it for being in Nordstrom's in the first place. My daughter gets her harassment at Trader Joe's like a real Justice Warrior.

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John D wrote:
comhcinc wrote:
I have no problem with free speech. I just don't think it is the duty of an organization to allow trolls and rabid idealogs to clog up their communications. The AAS should take the high road on this... and they have. Allowing the vitriol and stupidity to continue on their site is helpful to no one. There are too many rage posts already. If you wanna walk around with your dick in your hand go right ahead. Just don't tell the rest of us we MUST look at it!

How exactly is the AAS taking the high road? They put out a statement about something they were not involved in that as we have seen here on the pit does not represent the views of all their members. After they released their statement they saw that hey guess what; people disagree with them so they first delete post and then turned off comments.

The post itself proves they do not have the high ground. If they would have not had comments on to begin with I would be willing to get them more slack, I understand and cool with the idea that somethings people/organizations just want to make a comment and not get in to a debate. They didn't do that, they allowed comment until they saw that it wasn't going to be all sunshine and flowers. Sorry at that point it's too late.

Oh and btw, If I had my dick in my hand you would WANT to look at it. It is a glorious thing to behold.
:cdc:

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

Tribble wrote:
BlueShiftRhino wrote:Actually, there's something wrong with that poll, as a five-option forced-choice poll cannot have %s that sum to 96%, even after rounding. There must be a sixth option.
The correct option is 'check your math.'
I was actually referring to the first set of numbers: 3, 21, 41, 10, and 22. My "96%" is a typo, but those numbers cannot reach 100%, no matter how you like to round.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

BlueShiftRhino wrote:
Tribble wrote:
The correct option is 'check your math.'
I was actually referring to the first set of numbers: 3, 21, 41, 10, and 22. My "96%" is a typo, but those numbers cannot reach 100%, no matter how you like to round.
Of course they can, if you round down anything to .99999...of 1%.

ConcentratedH2O, OM

Post by ConcentratedH2O, OM »

That is: 3.9; 21.9; 41.9,10.2; 22.1

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

ConcentratedH2O, OM wrote:That is: 3.9; 21.9; 41.9,10.2; 22.1

http://media0.giphy.com/media/OhWaZv7fufXq0/200_s.gif

BlueShiftRhino

Post by BlueShiftRhino »

OK. I give. If you make up new rules for rounding, you're correct.

John D

Post by John D »

comhcinc wrote:

How exactly is the AAS taking the high road?

Oh and btw, If I had my dick in my hand you would to look at it. It is a glorious thing to behold.
Yeah... I get it. You think it was totes okay for Taylor to wear that stupid shirt. If you worked for me I doubt you would last long.

SkepticalCat

Post by SkepticalCat »

Tribble wrote: And I take that as a good sign. A sign that Myers really doesn't have the following he used to have. I remember crushing some polls by over 10K+ swings as thousands and thousands of people would rush to crush the poll. Now he's being crushed.
There are also now (I suspect) a fair number of people who will intentionally vote against PZ's position, just because he's such a cunt. If he mentions a poll asking "Is America a Christian nation?", I'll vote "yes" just to spite the stupid prick. :lol:

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

John D wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Oh and btw, If I had my dick in my hand you would to look at it. It is a glorious thing to behold.
Yeah... I get it. You think it was totes okay for Taylor to wear that stupid shirt. If you worked for me I doubt you would last long.
Actually no I think it was a bad move on his part to wear that shirt. I just don't think it was anywhere near an outrage level offensive that the guy should have been bullied over. I don't think it's fair that some many people and groups are dog piling on the guy even after he broke down in tears. So we are not as far apart as you may think.

Now are you offering me a job? Cause I could use one.

InfraRedBucket

Post by InfraRedBucket »

bhoytony wrote:
deLurch wrote:
I think they all just mistook the guy for Conan O Brian.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Seeing as vegans have no sense of humor, I don't see how one could make a living as a comedian. :bjarte:
Are you mad? Vegans have a wonderful sense of humour! Look at this apex of the comedy genre:
[youtube]46tVHPSaLjM[/youtube]
BTW, that's not a 9 year old boy with leukemia. It's a 'healthy' vegan woman.

free thoughtpolice

Post by free thoughtpolice »

John D wrote:
comhcinc wrote:

Yeah... I get it. If a POC showed up to work in your little fiefdom wearing a hoodie you would call him a thug, fire him, and then burn a cross on his lawn. You think dressing like a corporate clone is more important than the quality of the human or the work they accomplish. :P

comhcinc

Post by comhcinc »

Tony Parsehole wrote:
Matt Cavanaugh wrote:Seeing as vegans have no sense of humor, I don't see how one could make a living as a comedian. :bjarte:
Are you mad? Vegans have a wonderful sense of humour! Look at this apex of the comedy genre:

I fapped to the last 30 seconds.

Tony Parsehole

Post by Tony Parsehole »

comhcinc wrote:
Tony Parsehole wrote:

I fapped to the last 30 seconds.
She was really going for it.